Yeaay an update
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Full illustration of Shimousa vol.3's cover, the book comes out on 9/9

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    It looks like next chapter will be the last battle with Paraiso?
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kelp24's Avatar
    I know that she's meant to look ridiculous but the SERAPH mangaka draws Lip a bit weird at times

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I enjoy it. Her silhouette is still absurd but I like how massive her claws are. Every time she appears, they make every panel feel cramped or escape into the borders of the pages.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoKMX720 View Post
    Yikes, every time the art makes me want to pick it up, the awful translation throws me off again. Someone should do something about that at some point. Somehow.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Yikes, every time the art makes me want to pick it up, the awful translation throws me off again. Someone should do something about that at some point. Somehow.
    Well while smoof is actively translating it not much can be done about that. Plus looking at the abundance of Fate manga that get abandoned, never to be translated for years, getting someone else to take the flag is a surprisingly tall order

Have any of you actually tried messaging Smoof with constructive criticism and your feedback? I can't imagine he's exactly unreceptive to it if you just contact him and act civilized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, we only trash translators here and almost never provide feedback when asked for. When we do, it must be incomprehensible to the point of needing a translation.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    I think there's simply a fundamental issue in that he's not at the level where he can competently translate things in the first place. I honestly think some of what he produces is from a Google Translate mess that he doesn't have the linguistic knowledge to even pretty up. There's one section in his strange Fake translation where he messes up something about suggestion magecraft three times in three different ways. And that is after having an editor look at it, so who knows what kind of mess it's in before that. This is not the kind of project that should be used for personal improvement. This isn't a case of a few messed up your/you're or there/their/they're. This is an all around poor effort that requires him to practice several more years before he's actually ready.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    Have any of you actually tried messaging Smoof with constructive criticism and your feedback? I can't imagine he's exactly unreceptive to it if you just contact him and act civilized.
    I offered him help around the time when the translation was at its absolute unintelligible on reddit. After a point I stopped noticing typos every chapter and got busy IRL so I stopped

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quoren View Post
    I think there's simply a fundamental issue in that he's not at the level where he can competently translate things in the first place. I honestly think some of what he produces is from a Google Translate mess that he doesn't have the linguistic knowledge to even pretty up. There's one section in his strange Fake translation where he messes up something about suggestion magecraft three times in three different ways. And that is after having an editor look at it, so who knows what kind of mess it's in before that. This is not the kind of project that should be used for personal improvement. This isn't a case of a few messed up your/you're or there/their/they're. This is an all around poor effort that requires him to practice several more years before he's actually ready.
    I actually asked him about it when there was a chapter that had one too many hard to understand sentences and his insisted that he didn't use machine translations

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoren View Post
    This is not the kind of project that should be used for personal improvement.
    Why not? This is not official work and the guy is only translating manga adaptations of stories that are already available in other media.

You might say that he shouldn't post this online because that discourages other translators from taking this project, but I'd argue it's more likely that there just wouldn't be anyone translating at all.
    I'm not going to defend the quality of his work though, you guys are right about that, but I don't think there's any point complaining about it here. You're better off ignoring his work or doing as fumei said and offering your criticism to the translator himself.

JP Friend Code
    The main issue is that he simply is so far off of where he needs to be that no amount of small fixes will change his fundamental issues. Even ignoring that scanlation is a very attention-motivated area, there's a vast difference between publishing something locally on Reddit and "publishing" scanlations to the masses. There are certainly mistakes in some of the FGO summaries and line by line translations, but those can be overlooked due to being posted locally for the eyes of those communities primarily and that they're being done with some haste to stay relevant. For scanlations, there is no rush unless your only driving motivation is to be praised. Those should be polished to the utmost, and any minor mistakes that make it past QC somehow can be quickly addressed. Certainly nothing is being changed by posting it here, but it at least might allow someone to not waste their time on it.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Then why doesn't anyone want to actually help him out instead of complaining here like they can't do anything? You do realise he's not isolated from the Internet?

I mean there's all this talk about letting someone else translate but I don't see much of you complaining trying to do anything about it whether by doing another translation or helping Smoof out.

JP Friend Code
    Good intentions don't magically make someone get better. No amount of help is going to get someone who is like N3 and B2 get to the level of completely fluent in both languages. It seems like helping him out entails doing the entire project for him from other comments I've seen here.
    Last edited by Quoren; November 28th, 2020 at 01:15 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Complaining here isn't going to magically make it better either so discounting RL matters, a productive approach is going to be better than a stagnant one.

I was a little confused, then I saw that Beast's Lair did the first few ones for Shimosa and that he did the rest. What happened with that? I was going to say that it looked fine for me, but I've only read the first few pages...
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Ask the translator Mewarmo, he was probably busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3