Page 52 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2424750515253545762102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2847

Thread: Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] - Ultimate Edition (thread discontinued, see OP for new thread)

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheinfinite101 View Post
    There's a reason for everyone being here who is and I know all of them :3
    It looks like you didn't see my final edit that I snuck in there, so here's the question again (I'm too used to Quibi who takes quite a bit longer between posts).

Now just to clarify, are you saying the actual PS2 RN does this, or is it just the PS2 OPs in Vita RN that does this? I ask because I actually have a physical copy of PS2 RN and am fully capable of running it in an emulator (though I don't have a completed save file...).
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

Okay yeah I can verify that the thumbnails are wrong. I don't remember all of the ones used but I do distinctly remember that the shot of Archer looking back at Shirou with his hair down and stabby stabbed bone of his sword was one of the rotating thumbnails for the UBW OP on Vita. I'm pretty sure these were all constructed, most likely trying to keep them spoiler free in comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
    It looks like you didn't see my final edit that I snuck in there, so here's the question again (I'm too used to Quibi who takes quite a bit longer between posts).

Now just to clarify, are you saying the actual PS2 RN does this, or is it just the PS2 OPs in Vita RN that does this? I ask because I actually have a physical copy of PS2 RN and am fully capable of running it in an emulator (though I don't have a completed save file...).
    The PS2 Openings aren't in Vita RN. To make it more simple, Kadokawa published RN is programmed with the rotating thumbnails while TM published RN (at least on PC) isn't, there's only 3 videos in any given version of RN, one opening for each route, so both PS2 and Vita use rotating thumbnails, but only for the respective 3 videos they have.

Edit: Thank you actually NM64, I had planned to change the thumbnails myself all the way back when I first got my hands on the first build Quibi sent me, but I not only forgot to do so, I even forgot that the rotating thumbnails were a feature, as you saw. Assuming nobody else does anything (since I haven't even received the latest build yet) about this I'll take care of it before I put it out. Just.........remind me to be safe.
    Last edited by Jacktheinfinite101; October 23rd, 2019 at 12:53 AM.
    Memorable quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Kinoko Nasu
    So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedBladeWorks
    In all honesty the Ufo Anime should've included a switch that let people chose what route they wanted to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheinfinite101 View Post
    Okay yeah I can verify that the thumbnails are wrong.

Assuming nobody else does anything (since I haven't even received the latest build yet) about this I'll take care of it before I put it out. Just.........remind me to be safe.
    Whelp, so much for me going about the process of making higher quality thumbnails and such, and I was nearly done too (just had the classic OPs "mini" thumbnails to go).

So uh...what do I do now?

Or are you saying that this would not be for the version that Quibi wants to release in a week but rather for some future version that will release after that one, and therefore I should keep doing the OP image stuff that I've been doing?

Again, we've delayed this next upcoming version quite enough as it is...

----------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, since you're the video guy, just a heads up about the "improved" OPs that I put together.

My versions of the PS2 OPs may not look really any sharper, and in some cases (particularly at lower screen resolutions like 720p) may actually look a bit blurrier, but they have considerably less banding/dithering artifacts (which I simply couldn't unsee once I saw them and had to do something about them) as well as less "bloom lighting on all the things!". I also fixed the single black frame present after Rider's mug-shot close-up before the Ryuudou temple that exists in both the Fate and HF OPs but not UBW (if you haven't been following this thread, then you probably didn't know about this presumably mistaken black-frame since I only just discovered it maybe a week ago?)

The issue is that the PS2 OP's art style is just kind of soft in general, and applying a typical sharpening algorithm to any substantial degree either starts causing ringing/over-sharpening or results in the actual drawn character outlines to start looking ragged/sketchy/messy. In order to get anything sharper, we might need to use either a fancier and more "intelligent" sharpening method (like AMD's "Radeon Image Sharpening") or use something like waifu2x's noise reduction function to try and smooth out the lines.

My classic OPs are night-and-day better though since the existing versions we were using were not taken from the Type-Moon Fes Blu-ray. My Vita Fate OP will also look a smidgen better due to improved banding/reduced dither, slight sharpening (to help cancel out the noise reduction that was used to mitigate banding/dithering), and going full-OCD by using x264's "placebo" preset (...which I actually did for all my video encodes).

And I didn't touch what are presumably your Vita UBW and Vita HF video encodes at all since, as you know, a ton of color work needs to be done to make the Vita-ripped OPs look like their mobile equivalents. I took a quick look at the work necessary, but it's just way out of my league since whenever I made one seen look good, another scene would look completely off.

The only modifications I made to the Vita UBW and Vita HF OPs is for their audio which a directly replaced with the AAC stream from the Vita-ripped versions. Speaking of audio which, I also made sure the volume for every OP (including Vita UBW and Vita HF) is set to a sane level relative to the rest of the VN, and I did some fancy-pants stuff for the PS2 OP's music so that it's the higher-quality version from the PS2 OST while still retaining the intro sound effects used in the blu-ray's and PS2 RN's OPs.

I mainly typed up this semi-lengthy post because I really wanted to document what I actually did for the OPs. Additionally I wanted to post the actual video filter settings I used in Avidemux so that nobody has to go through the trial-and-error process I went through again for these specific OPs (note that every single video encoding I did was taken from the Type-Moon Fes Blu-ray):

classic_op Avidemux video filter settings

ps2_op Avidemux video filter settings

psvita_op_fate Avidemux video filter settings

Blog Entries
    Nintendo, he said "assuming nobody else does anything". Couple that with his busy life... please finish what you started.
    If not for me, then for Tanner.
    For the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibi View Post
    please finish what you started.
    Question then - how picky are you about the "mini" thumbnails for the classic_op looking just like the existing versions?

Because it's kind of being a pain to get the colors and contrast to match and look just right as it seems that TM did something a bit more complicated on those thumbnails than just increasing the brightness and contrast (which was all that was done for the ps2_op "mini" thumbnails).

Blog Entries
    I personally don't mind as long as it's good quality.

"Movie" thumbnail images and stuff are done!

Unlike the video OPs, because these are just images, I'm going to just post the download link right here in this thread since they contain instructions, settings, and templates on re-creating all the images and such, so I also want to document that and have it easily accessible in the future:

******************#F!EHRWBSpA!2UGPbzCDTXb9i5EDrM561g

2019-10-28 UPDATE: The contents of the above URL have been completely revamped with all of the updates and stuff that were mentioned in the following two pages of posts (basically the stuff posted between 2019-10-23 and 2019-10-28).

For both OCD and convenience sake as well, there's also an encrypted 7z archive with all of the same exact files and stuff in the link above, and there's a secondary copy of the 7z archive password as well.

7z archive password is:
    Code:
    because Jack likes going MIA
    Last edited by NM64; October 28th, 2019 at 02:33 PM.

Nintendo, he said "assuming nobody else does anything". Couple that with his busy life... please finish what you started.

See that was code for "somebody else please actually find what the proper frames are and do this so I don't end up having to in the end."
    Memorable quotes

So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    In all honesty the Ufo Anime should've included a switch that let people chose what route they wanted to watch.

So I have to ask, because I haven't really kept up with this thread for ages, but I recall seeing some work being done on making the patch compatible with android - has there been any progress made on this? Like a multi-platform patch or something to be applied on PC and then moved manually to the portable unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    Android is already supported. It's the same installation process as HA.
    If there's a problem you can report.

Blog Entries
    @Nintendo

The quality of said new thumbnails is actually worse. Did you pack the wrong files?
    for example: psvita_op_ubw_title.webp

Also, there's a problem with the HD classic mini thumbnails width (classic_op_fate_mini.webp and classic_op_ubw_mini.webp).
    You upscaled them by 1.6, which is a mistake because they are used as an image atlas. Thus, each image needs to be upscaled by 1.6.
    Since this operation is continuous while pixels are discrete, you get a different result.

So the formula for upscaling an atlas image is:
    upscaled_width = floor(single_image_width) * number_of_images_in_width

The floor operation (rounding down) is what makes the result different.

The original image had a width of 612px. It had 4 images, each with 612/4=153px.
    Naively upscaling it by 1.6 would result in 979.2, which after flooring is 679px.

if we upscale each image by 1.6, we get that a single image width is 153*1.6=244.8, which after flooring is 244px.
    so the total width should be: 244*4 = 976px.

That is a 3px difference, and it also causes the button misalign when you click on it.
    Note you do not need to upscale/downscale each image separately, but when you choose the final width you have to take this calculation into account.
    Note2 - we could also have used rounding up, but I coded the HD patch with rounding down in mind - so use that.
    Note3 - as the buttons are aligned horizontally, the height is just floor(x1.6) the original height without any complicated math (it doesn't even matter if you round down or up for the height, since it only matters for buttons alignment, which is done on the horizontal axis).

Android is already supported. It's the same installation process as HA.
    If there's a problem you can report.
    Ah yes, forgot I never really figured out the HA process either, as I've now run into the same issue.

Error

For this I used the ultimate installer to create a portable installation and moved the resulting installation folder to my phone, installed KK2. Got the error and remembered the KK2 patches, so applied xp3filter, override2, and patch.tjs. Still get the same error.

Running on KK2 1.3.9 and Android 9 on a V30 (not that I think it matters much since I've had this same error on other devices).

Game folder
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.

You shouldn't need xp3filter.tjs for this patch.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I didn't sleep that great and am kind of tired, so if I sound angsty and/or rude at all then I apologize.

The quality of said new thumbnails is actually worse. Did you pack the wrong files?
    for example: psvita_op_ubw_title.webp
    Is this for all of the OPs, or just certain ones?

For Vita UBW and Vita HF, they will look lower quality because they technically are, but that's because the existing screencaps were taken from the Vita-ripped OPs which we are not using - we are using the mobile-ripped OPs.

The Vita-ripped OPs are higher quality, but their color, contrast, and gamma are way off compared to the Type-Moon Fes. blu ray rip for Vita Fate while the mobile-ripped OPs are much closer in terms of color, contrast, and gamma. And so that this color, contrast, and gamma would actually match, I screencapped the mobile-ripped OPs directly, which also means that any reduction in quality you see exists in the very same video OP that we're also using.

This is why I kept saying that I was not touching the video streams for Vita UBW and UBW HF, because the amount of color work needed to make the Vita-ripped OPs look like the Blu-ray and/or mobile-ripped OPs is something that is way out of my league in terms of skill and what-not.

The PS2 OP thumbnails also might look a bit worse, but again that's because I used some denoising to remove the "cannot unsee!" dithering and banding artifacts present during the panning up scene of Kotomine and Lancer. However the OPs I used are higher resolution which largely balances out bit of additional fuzziness, but downscaling them to the resolution we need for the thumbnails then eliminates said gain that the higher resolution provides.

Similarly, I also wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for the Vita Fate OP due to using denoise for the same reason (but to a lesser degree), but it should be to a much smaller degree, and the same thing I said about colors, contrast, and gamma might also apply if the existing thumbnails were taken from the Vita-ripped OPs rather than the blu-ray.

The classic OP thumbnails should still be a night-and-day improvement however.

tl;dr - I sacrificed a bit of still-image quality in order to improve in-motion quality for the OPs (it's a common mantra on video-focused places like the Doom9 forums that still images are not accurate portrayals of video quality), and I wanted to use screencaps that were actually accurate depictions of a given OP even if the end result was a worse-looking still-image screencap.

You upscaled them by 1.6, which is a mistake because they are used as an image atlas. Thus, each image needs to be upscaled by 1.6.
    Maybe I'm too much of a coding noob, but this to me sounds like you're saying "it was wrong for you to upscale to 1.6x, you instead should upscale to 1.6x"

Like, what? You're telling me that what I need to do is exactly what I already did but that what I did is wrong...?

The floor operation (rounding down) is what makes the result different.

The original image had a width of 612px. It had 4 images, each with 612/4=153px.
    Naively upscaling it by 1.6 would result in 979.2, which after flooring is 679px.

if we upscale each image by 1.6, we get that a single image width is 153*1.6=244.8, which after flooring is 244px.
    so the total width should be: 244*4 = 976px.

That is a 3px difference, and it also causes the button misalign when you click on it.
    Note you do not need to upscale/downscale each image separately, but when you choose the final width you have to take this calculation into account.
    Note2 - we could also have used rounding up, but I coded the HD patch with rounding down in mind - so use that.
    Note3 - as the buttons are aligned horizontally, the height is just floor(x1.6) the original height without any complicated math (it doesn't even matter if you round down or up for the height, since it only matters for buttons alignment, which is done on the horizontal axis).

Now I'm not that great at algebra and stuff so it was actually kind of difficult following your explanation (though my previously-mentioned tiredness may be part of the issue), but ehem:

I meant you should make the HD images :P
    So in that case, then what resolution should I use for the HD version? Should it just be 1.6x the size of the currently-existing SD images like is the case for CGs and the like? (do note however that the 768x432, 604x88, and 612x88 resolutions used by the existing SD images do not evenly multiply by 1.6x!)

For reference, the original resolutions would be 1280x720 for classic, 1432x800 for PS2, 1920x1080 for Vita Fate, and either 960x544, 1280x720, 1920x1080, or 1920x1088 for Vita UBW and Vita HF (the status for making improved version of those latter two vita OPs is uncertain at this time).
    Just round off if it doesn't multiply. YOLO.
    And yes, the original OP thumbnails are a different size.
    But what resolution?

I don't care if they don't exist and I have to make them, the issue is that it means I have no reference point in terms of what resolution to use.

Does this mean I should indeed just multiply the existing SD resolution by 1.6x and use that for the HD images?

I also don't suppose it matters whether I round up, round down, or round to the nearest?

Yes, 1.6x the SD images size.
    Round however you want...
    Original in png is good.
    Note how I even mentioned the mini-thumbnail images by mentioning their 604x88 resolution.

Therefore can you just tell me the dimensions I should be using for the HD images (hence why I asked this very question over a month ago) without being ambiguous with statements like "yolo" and "round however you want"?

I was looking for specifics the last time I asked and you essentially told me that precision didn't matter, but now you're saying it does, so could you please be specific with exact pixel counts - how big should each individual thumbnails with shadowing be, and how big should the entire image then be?

And remember that the classic_op "mini" images are of a different size from the others, and I'm not referring to the pillarboxing either.
    Last edited by NM64; October 25th, 2019 at 06:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I though you were talking about the big images, not the small ones.
    Anyway it's not "algebra", just very simple multiplication which I just explained, even giving you the numbers...

Upon further inspection - it's only the UBW and HF Vita OP thumbnails that look worse (I'm comparing the big ones).

Current release:
    Spoiler:

NM64:
    Spoiler:

I understand the colors are off, but it's a lot less pixelated than your version. As it is now, it just looks worse.

I want to at least thank you for the PS2 save data.

Again, apologies if I seem irritable at all as it also really wasn't helping that, right in the middle of typing my previous post, my sister called saying she was having heart issues and was getting a heart monitor tomorrow, and while I get along well with my sister she does tend to be a bit of a drama magnet (not a drama queen though), and I really don't like being drawn into other people's dramas that don't directly impact me since I am very poor at handling stress and pressure in general and do all I can to try to minimize such things in my own life.

I understand the colors are off, but it's a lot less pixelated than your version. As it is now, it just looks worse.
    Do what you want then (unless Jack tells you to do otherwise, he is our resident video guru afterall).

I personally prefer it to look accurate to the actual OPs even if it means being lower quality, and I'm not going to manually try and color-adjust said images to match the video as I would much rather put such effort into making the actual Vita-ripped OPs looking correct color-wise, not just some screenshots that are going to get replaced at some point in the future anyway.

Anyway it's not "algebra", just very simple multiplication which I just explained, even giving you the numbers...
    Well then I blame it on that aforementioned stress and tiredness.

Can you still just please spell out the resolutions to me without a whole lengthy explanation and/or reasoning for said resolution numbers? And I don't mean with formulas, I mean with actual resolutions, like:

* 151x88 per thumbnail with shadowing (SD as an example)
    * 604x88 for entire image (SD as an example)

And again, remember that the classic OPs use different sized "mini" thumbnails and I don't mean the pillarboxing.

In particular I need to de-stress now and can't deal with the images and crap anyway at this time, and it'd be so much easier on my brain right now if I just have the exact resolutions handed to me on a platter.
    Last edited by NM64; October 25th, 2019 at 09:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry about your sister, I hope she feels better.

The classic mini thumbnails:
    LQ: 612x88
    HQ: 976x141

Other minis:
    LQ: 604x88 (82px for the thumbnail height, as previously discussed)
    HQ: 964x141

Quote Originally Posted by uyjulian View Post
    You shouldn't need xp3filter.tjs for this patch.
    Removing it worked.

Moving all the patch files to faterealtanua_savedata (as is mentioned to get HA work prior to this installer existing at least) gives this error:

Spoiler:

Keeping the patch files in the main (.exe) folder just closes KK2 during game startup (before the actual game even launches, that is).

E: Worth noting that when it closes automatically like that it doesn't write anything to the log.
    Last edited by fumei; October 26th, 2019 at 05:01 AM.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

The classic mini thumbnails:
    LQ: 612x88
    HQ: 976x141

Other minis:
    LQ: 604x88 (82px for the thumbnail height, as previously discussed)
    HQ: 964x141
    You didn't really have to give me LQ numbers since they already are sized correctly, no? I mean, I directly used the existing mini thumbnails for them and just overlayed the higher-quality images...

So before I go and spend a ton of time possibly doing things wrong, could you verify if the following "test samples" work correctly? Do note however that the file names seem to have been stripped out...

Classic: https://web.archive.org/web/20191026...CtmHgMhNZ.webp

PS2: https://web.archive.org/web/20191026...EZU2zh7QF.webp

----------------------------------------------------------------

Also regarding the UBW and HF Vita OP thumbnails, I think I've stumbled upon the silver bullet solution I've been looking for - simply changing the decode color range from limited to full results in an image that makes the vita-ripped OPs look stupidly similar to the mobile-ripped OPs!

There's a bit of an issue though - while I was able to use the following tool on Doom9 to simply flag the vita-ripped OPs as being "full range" without the need to re-encode, and some programs like mpv and VirtualDub2 do infact display the colors correctly, no other program I tested was able to do so, including MPC-HC and "ultimate edition" itself (they all just display with limit color range instead):

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152419

It would be great if we could display such full color range-flagged MP4s correctly...I know I'm paranoid about delaying the next version, but if this is something that could be done quick and easy, then this would be great. Otherwise I'll go and re-encode anyway but with no filters or any other edits (outside of corrected color range) so I should then have said MP4s ready by the time that I have the updated thumbnails ready (presumably in ~9 hours assuming that you can confirm/refute that my above mini thumbnail tests are correct).

Here's a ~3 second sample of a full range-flagged MP4:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191026...XmH_sample.mp4

Correct colors with full range should look like this:

full range - correct colors

While incorrect colors with limited range should look like this:

limited range - incorrect colors

You're a life-saver, thank you. I'm so glad to have that taken care of.

Also I'm sorry about your sister as well, I hope everything is okay.
    Memorable quotes