Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2530333435363740 ... LastLast

Thread: [FF] Grail Works, Ltd.: Fate/Anarchy (Type-Moon/Scion crossover)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 72: The Final Battle’s Next Stage

The Wolfen

“That second blast from the Hanging gardens just punched a hole through half our hangars! We just lost most of the un-built mecha units! Decks 5 and 6 are open to air! I repeat, Decks 5 and 6 are open to air!” Scylla’s horrified reaction echoes through the ship’s loudspeakers.

“Any damage to the guns or ammunition stores?” Erik asks over the communications system.

“None, boss! All guns are firing steadily!” Scylla replies.

“Keep aiming for the tower, damn it! It doesn’t have many weaknesses yet!” Erik nods, glancing at the charging railgun’s status.

“Roge- OH SHIT, BRACE FOR IMPACT!” Scylla half screams.

A massive explosion thrums through the Wolfen as large explosions ripple through it, as the Hanging Gardens’ massive prana cannon carves into the bottom of the Wolfen once more.

“Left Side Bottom Railguns have been destroyed outright! Mortar/launcher systems are untouched, as are the missile launchers, but we just lost all the railguns on the left side entirely! We don’t have nearly enough left to repair all that!” Scylla admits, hastily, sounding out of breath.

“Keep firing with everything else, damn it!” Erik snarls back, right before grinning as the railgun shows it’s charged up enough for another shot..

“I’m trying, Boss!” Scylla retorts.

The Hanging Gardens shakes, as another bomb from the railgun carves through a chunk of the outer sections, and sends huge chunks of it flying, as it dangerously starts to lean away from the Hanging Gardens.

“Heavy damage to another one of the outer sections, looks like it’ll fall any moment!” Scylla reports, a sound of cheer from him.

“Good to hear, Scylla!”

“15 seconds until we can fire the main cannon agai- OH SHIT! PRANA CANNON BLAST INCOMING!” Scylla yelps.

The Wolfen outright flinches as more weapons are carved from the underside.

“Scylla! Any ideas how to stop them?!” Erik snarls through the communications, holding on tight to the railgun’s manual controls.

“Lasers are ineffective against the stone of the Hanging Gardens, boss! I just… don’t know! We just lost the rest of the bottom railguns with that last blast from them!” Scylla admits.

“I’ve got one, then. Drop the Wolfen on them, then cut power to the antigravity engines! We’ll slam them into the ground, and turn power back on at the last minute!” Erik’s voice is grim.

“Better than that, we’ve got a mountain right behind them! If we can slam them intoTHAT...!” Scylla retorts.

DO IT THEN!” Erik snarls.

RAMMING SPEED, NESTOR! PUSH THEM INTO THE FUCKING MOUNTAIN!” Scylla screams.

The Wolfen’s massive engines rumble, then whine into life, before the massive Aerial Battleship pushes forwards.

“Their Prana Cannon is readying faster than usual, Boss!” Scylla outright yelps in panic.

“We countered most of their first shot with the Plasma Cannon, didn’t we? Fire it now!” Erik retorts, loudly.

“Aye! Firing!” Scylla replies, relief in his voice.

The Wolfen’s Plasma Cannon once more roars to life, firing against the Hanging Gardens Prana Cannon, this time matching and countering it perfectly.

“Prana cannon countered, boss! Impact in 5 seconds!” Scylla’s voice echoes through the Wolfen, quickly followed by a colossal grinding sound, as the Wolfen’s hull impacts the stone of the Hanging gardens.

For one moment, the Hanging Gardens struggles in the air, as the Wolfen slams hard at an angle into it. Then, slowly, it loses, as the massive engines in the Wolfen do their work, slowly, inevitably forcing the Hanging Gardens back towards the nearby mountain.

“Got ‘em, boss! ALL HANDS, BRACE FOR IMPACT AGAIN!” Scylla’s voice echoes through the ship, once more.

Then a distant, horrible collision sounds through the Wolfen, as the Hanging Gardens are slammed into the mountain.

“Damage report, Scylla?” For a long minute, no sound moves through the Wolfen, as Erik’s eyes narrow. Eventually, though, a crackling static reaches his ears, as Erik slowly sighs in relief.

“Got it back on! We’ve had most of the top guns shake out of alignment, a few are still fighting off those Dragon’s-tooth skeletons, but most of the Legion of Coal are fighting off all the enemy forces trying to plow their way in, Boss! Expect repairs to be slow, though doable.” Scylla reports. “On the worse side, the bottom guns are toast, including the laser weaponry. Missile launchers and bomb launchers are likely still functional, but I want to send a crew to check over that ASAP before we fire again. And with how few we can spare right now, I suggest we save it for after the fight.”

“Got it. Keep up the good work!” Erik sighs softly, then cuts his broadcasting.

For a long moment, Erik just sighs softly, leaning back into the chair. “If I continue firing anything but the plasma cannon now, it’ll just damage both my Wolfen and the Hanging Gardens. Damn it.”

With those words, he gets up, leaving the room.

15 Minutes Later

Multiple Railguns fire, as a Basmu rushes against the lines of the Legion of Coal, as well as 40 Metal Gear Rex units. Eventually, it dies, huge holes in it’s skin, though not without dozens of Legion of Coal units shattered, and half the Metal Gear Rex units left destroyed.

Scylla’s eyes narrow, as he watches through the cameras, before sighing. “Chiron, Scathach, head towards the throne room. Looks like Shirou’s staying with Semiramis in there, though, so you might need to work alongside Mash and Siegfried closely while combating them. We have far too many enemy units trying to flood the Wolfen behind you to help out directly at the moment, aside from what we already sent out.”

“Understood.” Scathach’s voice returns over the intercoms. “Chiron’s busy with one of those Basmu that we’ve run into, but we’ll try to lure him away from Semiramis so Siegfried and Mash can finish her off.”

The communications are silent for a long while, as Scathach pushes herself into the enemy lines, fighting expertly with her spear.

Finally, after long bouts in the battle, Scathach speaks up once more, addressing Scylla again. “Of course, that’s if they don’t constantly slow us down, to the point where we can make any headway. This is far too slow for my liking, and with the Greater Grail gone, Chiron and the others have slowed down drastically.”

“I suppose I resemble that remark, right now.” Chiron remarks, half sarcastically. “But we still need to push forwards, irregardless. Our Masters need us to win.”

“We’ll back you up more when we don’t have the Dragon’s-Tooth Warriors constantly trying to get into the holes in the Wolfen that their bosses made. Just do your best, alright?” Scylla retorts.

“Understood.” Chiron and Scathach’s voices ring over the communications network.

“Tamamo, your husband is missing.” Scylla speaks up after a few moments, glancing back towards her.

“I’ve noticed. Status of the troops?” Tamamo replies, frowning as she thinks.

“We’ve lost a lot of the Legion of Coal as well as the Metal Gear Rex lines.” Scylla admits. “They’re throwing Basmu around like water, and there’s no prana limitations.”

Tamamo frowns, her eyes narrowing. “They have a trump card, then.”

Both pause, glancing down at the console showing a message. Then Tamamo glances over at Scylla, as they both quiet down. “Well, shit.” Scylla finally murmurs, quietly, before glancing back at Tamamo with a nod.

Then they resume work, as Tamamo thinks over the message from her husband that was in Norse. “Rin yoinked the grail out of universe, leaving us to deal with the fallout. How nice, hm? MHXX back but using stealth to hide. Have the troops prepare in case Semiramis and Amakusa Shirou Tokisada let them know, and fuck us over.”

For one moment, she almost curses under her breath, as she rubs her forehead, before focusing on the work again.

Meanwhile…

Mordred frowns from her cockpit, glancing over the message on her screen, several Dragon’s-Tooth Warriors falling from the sky to land on the Wolfen and the Hanging Gardens below it.

Erik? What the hell do you mean?” She sends, as her rifle sends more enemies down, clearing the air around herself for now.

Who, exactly do you think they’ll blame if they realize Rin screwed us all over before there was a clear winner? Shirou? Or US?” Erik’s voice retorts, before a slight groan goes over their mental link. “Well, the armor does HEAL me, but I’ll be damned if this doesn’t HURT. Fucking blood requirements.” Erik continues, before going quiet.

Mordred winces, as she realizes what Erik means. “Sorry, Erik. I get the problem now.” She sends back, before flinching as another Basmu slams out of the Hanging Gardens directly towards the Wolfen. It’s a moment’s work to drop and slam her Radiant Wave Surger straight into it, before she’s back into the air, leaving the mostly dead corpse to fall down the mountain.

There’s no end to the fucking Basmu, though. What the hell is she eating?” Mordred asks, half curious.

Considering how drained everyone is? Hell if I know.” Erik retorts.

Mordred’s eyes narrow, as she focuses in the cockpit. Then, a brief moment later, her eyes go wide as she spots something through the holes in the ceiling of the throne room far below.

She’s using the remains of that train as a battery! It’s like the Gem of Power for her, Erik!” Mordred sends.

A wordless growl is her only reply for a moment, before Erik takes a while, thinking. “Can you steal it?

There’s no way in hell I can get through that small of a gap with this thing. Perhaps without? Yes, I definitely could. But with this thing, not likely. It’s too bulky to fit through both ways. We’ll have to have your other mecha retrieve it, the production line stuff.” Mordred admits.

Got it.” Erik’s reply is terse. “Mysterious Heroine XX will be up soon, and she’ll help me with using the blood to augment and upgrade the cosmoreactor. I’ve just gotten started early. After that’s done, I’ll head out and help with my own mech if you want.

You’re too tired for that, Erik. Take some time to recover, get some food in you, and let your army handle things for a change! I’m your servant, let me help out, okay?” Mordred retorts, almost furiously so.

A minute passes, as Mordred starts shooting at more skeletons again, half focusing on her Master for any reply.

...Right. Right. Yeah, I’ll do that. I hit a sore spot, with your father being an idiot that wouldn’t take breaks, huh? Or rely on others to help her properly.” Erik finally admits.

Exactly! Thank you, Erik. I won’t let you down!” Mordred replies, a wide smile on her face.

Then she’s locked in combat with another Basmu that went for an ambush, furiously trying to shoot grenades down it’s throat before it can eat her new ride.

Down below, a massive shudder in the mountain goes nearly unnoticed, as the Wolfen’s weight keeps the Hanging Gardens pressed against it.

1 Hour Later

Erik sighs as Mysterious Heroine XX comes in, before nodding towards her. “Nice nap?”

“Quite so, sensei. Sorry for taking so long, this isn’t a body made of mana, after all.” MHXX admits, quietly, before looking over Erik’s work. “Great job! Just inscribe the bottles holding that blood with what I’ll be showing you, and then we’ll be able to store what’s left long term!”

Erik nods, glancing over to study her. “About time for the blood donation, then?”

“That, and there’s memetic hazards outside of this universe that may influence it. You always bitched about barely having enough blood to keep the cosmoreactor going until long after I met you, and losing a good chunk due to some “Eldritch Kaiju” or another.

Erik blinks, before slowly nodding, almost lost in thought before he starts working on it.

“That wasn’t so hard. Now we just pull out the reactor, pour in the new blood and add just a couple drops of Dragon Blood in, then we get a nice result!” MHXX smiles at her teacher, quietly. “Just like you taught me how!”

The Wolfen bucks for a moment under their feet, leaving Erik grabbing for the table and hastily catching everything. Moments later, he’s pulling the Cosmoreactor Prototype back into his chest, before turning communications on. “Scylla, what the hell is going on?”

“Glad to hear your voice, boss! The damned Mountain’s been collapsing under the weight of both the Wolfen and the Hanging Gardens. Likely a lot of caves inside or something.” Scylla replies.

“Any damage besides what we’ve taken earlier?” Erik asks.

“Nothing so far, just lots of losses to the Mecha and Legion of Coal to hold the enemy at bay. How’s that reactor working out Boss? Upgrades you’ve been working on all helping out?” Scylla changes the subject, sounding distracted.

“I can feel a bit more power flowing from it, I’ll admit.” Erik thinks. “Not sure how much more, though.”

“It takes time to adjust, Sensei. Usually comes from when you need it most, or are acting most like a protagonist, as well.” MHXX pipes up.

“Hah! Little wonder it’s such a pain for you, Boss! You never want to get in and get your hands dirty, after all!” Scylla admits with a laugh.

“Anything else?” Erik asks, sounding playfully grumpy.

“Only in that Semiramis has been using that maglev train prototype as a legend battery to keep her shit up. At this rate, we’re going to see her dead around 3 AM, or so.” Scylla trails off, thinking. “That, and I can see an odd fog in the distance? Not sure what that’s about, since the moon is still bright.”

“Maybe it’s evaporated snow from the damage to the mountain? Keep watch over it anyways.” Erik orders, thinking. “I’ll be hard at work.”

“Understood, boss! I’ll handle things just fine. You keep getting things handled, okay?” Scylla half asks, as he works.

2:30 AM
    Trifas’s Ruins

Mecha Fafnir Mark 3 frowns, as it’s colossal size lets it look over the city. All but one person has left the city already, leaving only them in a car, and the colossal war machine staring at things.

The steadily growing fog in the distance was starting to worry it, near it’s father’s battlefield.

It knew that it was it’s father’s creation. Not a “Son” per-say. But a “child” and “creation” even still. One that it’s father would happily ride if it simply asked him to.

Scanning systems go to work, as it studies the fog in the distance, half lost in thought. Something was wrong about that fog.

Steadily, the new scanning systems go through, one at a time. All the newer ones developed just by father for the Wolfen.

No results.

Mecha Fafnir’s frown grows deeper as it’s intuition insists that something’s wrong with the scenario, and works older, damaged scanning systems instead of the new stuff added in from the production line units.

Mecha Fafnir MK2’s scanning system shows nothing whatsoever. No issues, nothing.

The massive head tilts, as it stares, massive computers going to full power as the massive mechanical dragon thinks over it’s individual memories. SOMETHING about that fog was giving it a bad feeling.

Mecha Fafnir MK1’s systems turn on, the oldest designs pulling up data as they do so. Unlike the newer designs, the very first one was built to register Titans and titanspawn with pre-programmed energy signatures from the mages of Svartalfheim.

The energy of something akin to a Titan is producing the fog. Registering as Gaia.

Mecha Fafnir MK3 bolts for the fog, desperately attempting to contact the Wolfen as it does so. Even as it’s massive computer banks run full speed, trying to remember where it had seen fog like that before.

It had to warn it’s father about what looked to be a fog barrier made by Gaia wrapping around the battlefield!

Almost unnoticed in the town, a small car takes off, following the massive war machine.

3:30 AM
    The Hanging Gardens

“It looks like I’ve failed to stall them anymore.” Semiramis admits, quietly, before pulling up a shield weakly, the exhaustion on her face evident.

Shirou quietly hugs her close. “You’ve done the best you could, Semiramis. Even with things stacked so far against us, you’ve held up admirably, more than anyone else I could have ever worked with.”

“You flatterer, you.” Semiramis smiles weakly at her Master, before pulling him in for a kiss. “Perhaps we’ll be summoned together in the future?”

A shudder ripples through the Hanging Gardens, as the mountain below cracks and shudders, more of it grinding away below them.

Semiramis flinches outright, before bracing herself weakly with her chair, forcing herself to look regal, calm and composed at the doorway. The one she knew would be forced open at any moment.

Four Servants push through the doors, and look up at her with anger and violence in her eyes, barely paying attention to Shirou beside her.

“So, you poor misguided souls have come, not even realizing the-” Shirou speaks, before a loud cracking sound from underneath them interrupts, as a massive earthquake shakes the mountain.

Desperately, Shirou grabs his Servant, shielding her with his own body, as the room shakes and tilts. Across the room, Mash slams her shield into the floor and uses it to brace herself, grabbing onto Siegfried to keep him from being thrown across the room.

“Hang on!” Mash shouts, as the Hanging Gardens suddenly falls for a long moment.

Semiramis flinches as she slams into her chair hard, before looking up to stare at the foes across from her.

No damage to them, though they all look shook up.

“Not even realizing?” Mash asks, carefully.

“Not even realizing Erik betrayed you, with that twin tailed brunette stealing the Greater Grail under our noses.” Shirou finishes, arms opening widely. “We don’t have it.”

The four Servants across from him all pause to look at each other. Repeated blinking for one moment. Then Mash looks back at him. “THAT’S why she disappeared? We wondered why she suddenly did so.” Mash asks, hesitantly.

Shirou nods, breathing out. “So you’ve come here on false pretenses, attacked for no prize at all. Will you still continue to fight, knowing we thought you were the ones that cut US off somehow?”

Scathach frowns, glancing at the others. “Does it look like they’ll be a threat?”

“I’d perfectly prefer to be able to retire with my Master somewhere warm and sunny, to be fair.” Semiramis admits, looking just exhausted. “Between holding this up and fighting you for the past while? Fighting Erik’s Wolfen? I’m about done. I’m ready to throw in the towel, say they’ve won, and go off to a sunny beach with him.”

Shirou looks over at his Servant. Semiramis smiles back at him, quietly. “You see me as a woman and a partner, not as a prize, after all...”

GRRRRK

Everyone in the room flinches, as a grinding sound from the floor hits their ears, much like nails on a chalkboard.

“What’s that sound?!” Mash yelps, holding her ears, as Siegfried brings himself to the ready. “I can’t tell what it is at all!”

“Something’s ripping apart the bottom of my throne room!” Semiramis yelps in terror, trying to focus through the exhaustion to get results. “I can’t tell what, but it’s massive! One of those war machines of Erik’s?”

“The only thing I know of that big would be in Trifas!” Scathach calls out.

The room shakes further, before Mash growls, slamming her shield down. “LORD CAMELOT!

Power ripples around her, as an image of the legendary castle and it’s gates forms around her, struggling against whatever is coming.

Then, Mash can only watch in horror, as two massive hands slam up through the floor, adjust themselves, and push further up, showing two elbows.

SIKERA USUM!” Semiramis screams, as she puts every drop of prana she has left into her Noble Phantasm, turning the water and humidity in the around them, her master included, into the deadliest poison she can make.

The same Blessed Hydra Venom that her Master had used on Jeanne D'Arc previously.

Tokisada Shirou Amakusa screams, as he carves off his arm with a black key, before unleashing a noble phantasm of his own, a massive black hole forming that starts sucking in one arm of the two near them.

One arm plows through the poison, carving through the throne and splattering both Semiramis and Shirou into nothingness as they instantly die, soaking in massive amounts of the poison as it does so. The other arm simply is unmade completely, vaporized so that not even atoms or particles remain as it impacts the black hole like Noble Phantasm.

Semiramis, Mash, Siegfried, and Chiron all stare at the arm and ruins of another, before looking at each other and bolting for the exit, running as fast as they can.

Author’s Notes: This chapter has loathed and hated me. Every step of the way, I step back, thinking I’m doing great, then take a long look, before second guessing myself. Or I’d rethink things and try to work more on it. Or the writing simply would not go down, no matter how good the idea was in my head.

I’d had a lot of plans for the showdown between Siegfried and Semiramis, letting him get the fight he genuinely deserved in this.

Nothing I wrote did them justice. More than that? Nothing I wrote WORKED to do them justice, either. No matter how much I worked to make things just work just right? Nothing worked.

So instead? You get something more realistic. Fuckery’s going on, and everyone’s about to be knee deep in it.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; April 18th, 2021 at 10:10 PM.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

Blog Entries
    RB? What the heck did I just read?
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    RB? What the heck did I just read?
    Shirou and Semiramis tried to surrender, only to get slaughtered by a third party. To be perfectly fair, I tried to make the "big badass climax fight for this story" look great between Semiramis and Siegfried, but no matter how I worded it, thought it over, or banged my head against a wall? She wouldn't comply. Mostly because the odds were against her and her Master, and she knew it. There was no possible way for me to write a beatdown between her and Siegfried that didn't result in multiple Servants beating her down and ganging up on her Master. She was down and out, and knew it.

Add in calculating how well the Mecha Erik has made going against Basmu? It's an utter curbstomp against them, except for what Mordred's using. So Semiramis' entire plan was "poison them, drop Basmu on them, and hope she could hold out long enough to get at least ONE of the enemy Servants before failing". She failed, she knew she failed, and didn't have any other options except to surrender and poison the well against Erik. She devastated Erik's mecha forces, quite literally. She also tore huge chunks of the weapons off the Wolfen, punched multiple holes through Erik's ship. She gave it as good as she could. It just simply wasn't good enough to win. To hold out for multiple hours? Definitely. Win? Not quite.

As for the rest? You'll see over the next few chapters. It's all finally coming to the end of the line.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

Blog Entries
    Good point... wait. What third party?

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Good point... wait. What third party?
    There's been hints in the story in prior chapters... mwahaha.

Blog Entries
    Uh-oh... not good. How did I miss these hints?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    There are at least some hints as to the nature of the threat. The titanic fog leaves me expecting SOME sort of Titan. I always was expecting something related to Ymir or the Heart of Winter, given how the Great Enemy from interludes acted, but also because I don't think we definitively destroyed the Heart back in Chapter 42. Registering as Gaia... makes me wonder if Gaia is tired of Erik's shit and is going to be taking him to the Reverse Side of the World forcefully, but seems less-probable. Also, whatever it is was inside the collapsing mountain, which is unusually hollow... nothing really comes to mind directly from that, except again, Heart of Winter can burrow.

I'm remembering the plot from FGO's CCC event, and am wondering what happens if the Heart successfully reached the core of the planet. That entire "become one with the planet" thing seems eerily applicable here.
    Also, this Kiara is SPECIFICALLY the Seraphix Kiara, albeit pre-Demon God, so that can definitely be a plot inspiration.

Kiara makes me remember she's in Trifas, and fog is Jack's purview, but we're quite sure Jack is gone... except we're not, because we don't actually see her die in Chapter 58. It's strongly implied, but not confirmed, especially with Command Seals in play. Which might explain who's in the car. That feels like an incorrect guess to me, because there's no obvious connection between the Heart and Kiara that I can remember... but still seems like a hint I'm interpreting wrong.

Definitely starting to move into the last act of the plot here, I guess. I can definitely understand wanting to have a climactic Siegfried/Semiramis confrontation, but I'm also totally fine with going past that confrontation, since this is a pretty big reveal. The damaged state of Erik's forces and the Wolfen will do him no favours.

(Also Train-kun nooooo)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    There are at least some hints as to the nature of the threat. The titanic fog leaves me expecting SOME sort of Titan. I always was expecting something related to Ymir or the Heart of Winter, given how the Great Enemy from interludes acted, but also because I don't think we definitively destroyed the Heart back in Chapter 42. Registering as Gaia... makes me wonder if Gaia is tired of Erik's shit and is going to be taking him to the Reverse Side of the World forcefully, but seems less-probable. Also, whatever it is was inside the collapsing mountain, which is unusually hollow... nothing really comes to mind directly from that, except again, Heart of Winter can burrow.
    *chuckles* A good write-up of possible issues so far, if it's the Heart of Winter. So many options to pick and choose from, after all... *grins*

I'm remembering the plot from FGO's CCC event, and am wondering what happens if the Heart successfully reached the core of the planet. That entire "become one with the planet" thing seems eerily applicable here.
    Also, this Kiara is SPECIFICALLY the Seraphix Kiara, albeit pre-Demon God, so that can definitely be a plot inspiration.

Kiara makes me remember she's in Trifas, and fog is Jack's purview, but we're quite sure Jack is gone... except we're not, because we don't actually see her die in Chapter 58. It's strongly implied, but not confirmed, especially with Command Seals in play. Which might explain who's in the car. That feels like an incorrect guess to me, because there's no obvious connection between the Heart and Kiara that I can remember... but still seems like a hint I'm interpreting wrong.
    Oh, it definitely could be a problem if that happened. Of course, considering Gaia might already be there, it might not be a brilliant plan. As for Kiara? You have to wonder, don't you? *rubs my hands together, grinning* Such beautiful guesses and speculation to the plots we've had in the works! Oh, I love it. We've got you confounded and confused about the plot twists for a change of pace instead of seeing them coming! And that one line I had to look up with Kiaran about it still applies well! Oh, what a day, what a lovely day. To see you all struggle to put it together for a change! Mwahaha!

Definitely starting to move into the last act of the plot here, I guess. I can definitely understand wanting to have a climactic Siegfried/Semiramis confrontation, but I'm also totally fine with going past that confrontation, since this is a pretty big reveal. The damaged state of Erik's forces and the Wolfen will do him no favours.
    Yup. We'd originally had planned for things to occur a little differently until Kiaran pointed out something to me. As a result? You got the massive clusterfuck happening earlier than planned. Especially considering the entirety of the Wolfen's bottom guns are outright gone, huge holes in the armor are there, leaving it open to air, and most of the mecha compliments were annihilated in the assault. When compliments of 40 were taking half losses against one in a multi-hour push to get to the Hanging Garden's throne room?

(Also Train-kun nooooo)
    Ayup. Ironically, one point that I didn't quite fit in? Was exactly how many issues Semiramis was having as a result of Train-Kun. I'm going to have to write a small omake of that later...

Quote Originally Posted by RanmaBushiko View Post
    Oh, it definitely could be a problem if that happened. Of course, considering Gaia might already be there, it might not be a brilliant plan. As for Kiara? You have to wonder, don't you? *rubs my hands together, grinning* Such beautiful guesses and speculation to the plots we've had in the works! Oh, I love it. We've got you confounded and confused about the plot twists for a change of pace instead of seeing them coming! And that one line I had to look up with Kiaran about it still applies well! Oh, what a day, what a lovely day. To see you all struggle to put it together for a change! Mwahaha!
    Clearly I must reach further into the realms of imagination. Avicebron seemed quite thoroughly dead, so I don't think I need to re-examine that. You've mentioned Siegfried a fair bit, and Erik having Siegfried-related powers was a somewhat important parallel, plus that entire thing about negative Fafnir-related synergies. Something like "Sieg is around and transformed into Fafnir" seems a bit too fantastic, given that we explicitly removed him earlier.

I can't think of anything Exalted that seems especially relevant, but it's a great setting if I want giant oversized things.

I've been ignoring the Ravenloft and Hel interactions because I can't figure out how they'd have direct impact... except fog is another word for mist. Okay, that's actually a lot more relevant than I was thinking, and bears more consideration. The fog reading as "Gaia" leans against this, but.... wait, that could be Gaia throwing them OUT of the world instead. That's very plausible.
    I can't think of anything directly from Ravenloft that would be giant-sized. You could always be using the Domain of Dread to justify Castlevania, Bloodborne, or Dark Souls enemies, but this giant seems like a singular thing... between those options, there would be enough potential giants that it's more of a direction of a guess.
    The giant could also be a separate problem. "Gaia might already be there" could explain the giant, and that could be a response to the Domain intruding, instead. That the battlefield is being surrounded makes transport seem more likely than intrusion, though.
    That fails to explain the car, though, unless we have a very futuristic member of the Dark Powers. Actually, the car makes a lot of Ravenloft-based theories feel weaker, because they don't explain its presence at all. It made a lot of sense for Kiara to be in the car, but it doesn't connect if we're interacting with Ravenloft, unless there's some incredibly silly explanation like "Kiara used a Command Seal to have Jack summon mist, which turned into Ravenloft Mists with some co-operation from Gaia", which feels just crazy enough to maybe work.

Ravenloft is definitely the obvious thing I overlooked, and definitely fits with the "assuming it's the Heart of Winter" pointing towards the opposite, and now I can't really think of anything else. Scathach's connection to the Land of Shadows might be relevant, given she wasn't in the original story. I can't think of anything Avalon-related that would be this significant.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Omake 17: Frid Summons a (more) Mysterious Servant

Sighișoara, Romania
    July 1, 2004

The last etchings made, Frid made a cut, and bleeding into his empty summoning circle, beginning to chant as he did so . . .

Ironically, Frid had a catalyst; he’d picked it up during a layover on his journey from the Orkneys. His pre-awakening reasoning, apparently, had been that it might be useful to the Yggdmillennia, given the scarcity of such things after the widescale distribution of the Heaven’s Feel ritual; and if not, it would be an interesting, if macabre, souvenir. Post-awakening, he’d still intended to hand it over—even if the Servant it would almost certainly summon was no better than Jack the Ripper, the newcomer was (probably) more reliable . . .

And then Fiore had made her request before he could even mention it and rendered the catalyst useless. For one thing, the Assassin slot was probably already filled (unless Zelretch had intervened to take out the unholy lovechild of EMIYA and Kotomine Kirei), and for another, that one wasn’t at all compatible with him.

Some of the other versions, maybe—but I’m not sure any of them would be strong enough to survive this . . . Which means I’m stuck relying on the compatibility system.

Even as he began the incantation, Frid wondered—what sort of Servant was compatible with a Master who intended to betray his comrades in spirit, if not in fact, from the beginning? He had no particular interest in the Grail, himself, and no reason to care whether the Association or the Yggdmillennia wound up with it in the end; at least, not insofar as it was kept out of the hands of Kotomine Shirou or “Count Darnicula . . .”

Shirou—the real Shirou, to his mind—would’ve approved of that, he thought.

His only concern in this affair beyond that was regarding Fiore’s wellbeing, and to a slightly lesser extent, Caules’; only “slightly,” because he did like the kid, and Fiore’s was, obviously, invested in it.

So who will it be? Normally, I'd expect Hans, but under these circumstances . . .? Medea was the betrayed, not the betrayer . . . Lancelot, maybe—or, since Mordred is a thing here, maybe her? It’d be nice to try and get her past her gender hang-up . . .

“. . . From the binding circle,” he finished in a thundering tone, “thou, Guardian of the Scales!”

Blazing light filled his vision, but his Mystic Eyes “saw” through the blindness, which revealed—

A girl, in what looked like . . . Was that a Reien Girls’ Academy uniform?!

Oh, come on! I thought Fujino only counted as a Counter Guardian in the event of the absolute destruction of human—

Frid stopped, to the point of his Mystic Eyes shutting off, as he considered the likely outcome of Shirou Amakusa Tokisada’s wish. A shiver went down his spine at the unwilling acknowledgment that it might actually count . . .

“Oh,” the Servant said flatly. “It’s you again.”

That snapped him out of his thoughts nearly as quickly as the prior realisation, and with an equally unnerving chill. Mostly because he was recognised, somehow; that couldn’t be denied, and implied all sorts of disturbing things—but also because that wasn’t Fujino Asagami’s voice . . .

Warily, Frid took a closer look at the Servant.

[Class: Assassin]
    [True Name: ?????]
    [Height: 155 cm]
    [Weight: ??]
    [Alignment: ?????]

[Parameters: Strength D, Agility B, Endurance C, Mana: C, Luck A, Noble Phantasm: A]

[Class Skills: Presence Concealment A+]

[Personal Skills: Child of Woe A, Marksmanship C, One of The Family EX]

With that Skill list, it would almost make sense if she was some new incarnation of Elizabeth Báthory, invented by F/GO to drive me nuts . . .

She seemed about Fujino’s age and Caucasian (which, as he knew well with Servants, meant absolutely nothing), with black hair that was basically invisible in the night's darkness; its existence could only be presumed against the deathly pallor of her face. Said face was largely expressionless, with India-ink eyebrows that seemed tailor-made for arching in a superior fashion, but her eyes—

“Dark” was the best description he could give; the fact that they also seemed to be openings into the proverbial “abyss that gazes back” made actually it hard to actually want to remember anything about the experience of meeting them . . . And Frid had the horrifying certainty lurking in the back of his mind that he didn't want to do so with his Mystic Eyes active—

“I’m not Assassin of Black,” the Servant said, still in that flat tone (which, now that he was paying attention, sounded very familiar). “How disappointing.

For all the animation in her voice or expression, she might as well be noting that water was wet—and yet, Frid did get the sense that she meant it, somehow.

“I’m afraid I’m working for the Red Faction,” he said carefully, “so that’s the colour you’re associated with. And I suspect that the Assassin slot was already filled by another Servant.”

“I see,” the girl said. “I don’t suppose I can change Factions in the event of a vacancy . . .?

“Not to my knowledge,” Frid answered honestly—when dealing with a Servant, especially a Class basically designed to kill Masters, the smart thing was to always be honest.

She walked out of the summoning circle, and even within a few steps, displayed a predatory grace that was eye-catching—not to mention eerie in its silence. As she swept towards him, a chill breeze in her wake, Assassin suddenly stopped just outside his reach, and tilted her head curiously. She smiled, very slightly—to a degree, in fact, that he only just didn’t need his Mystic Eyes to catch it.

“There’s a first time for everything.”

Not liking how ominous that sounded at all, Frid chose his next words carefully.

“. . . Do I seem so poor a Master that you’re planning to abandon me already?

“Of course not,” Assassin replied, in a tone that remained as dead as ever while simultaneously contemptuously implying he was an idiot. “What fun would it be to abandon you?”

That somehow sounded more ominous—and didn’t dispute the “poor Master” angle . . .

He shook his head.

“. . . I have to admit, I knew I was taking a chance on the compatibility system, rather than relying on a catalyst to summon a Servant with—”

(And why, Frid wondered, did one of her eyebrows rise in apparent surprise when he said that . . .?)

“—But I have to say, I’d never have expected you.

“I find that difficult to believe,” Assassin said. She moved towards the door without another word.

Frid followed her once he realised that she didn’t actually intend to stop for him, pulling out his cell phone as he did. “Fiore is never going to believe this—”

“Who’s Fiore?”

The spellcaster jumped at the voice that came into his ear from behind him—and just as he’d reached the top of the staircase. It took some quick reflexes to keep himself from going tumbling headfirst down the first flight or over the railing entirely . . .

He turned, and answered almost without thinking, “My fiancée”—and froze.

Under direct illumination, Frid could see that Assassin’s “uniform” was actually black, or a shade of blue dark enough to pass for it. Moreover, her hair was visible now (and definitely black)—and bound into two pigtailed braids that tumbled past her shoulders. In full view like this, she was much more identifiable; and also, impossible.

Because, for reasons he couldn’t explain to save his life—which, under present circumstances, might actually occur in the very near-future (like the next five seconds, say)—he found himself looking at someone who was either the actual Wednesday Friday Addams or a very good imitator.

Except that, barring very rare circumstances in her ‘90s-era (and specifically, film) incarnation, he couldn’t ever remember Wednesday looking surprised.

But she certainly did now . . .

Writer's Notes: Wednesday Friday Addams, "The Addams Family," and all related characters and concepts aren't my property or idea, either.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    I'm certainly glad this is just an Omake, not part of the main story, man... it'd be really awkward if this was canon to the Grail Works.

Blog Entries
    I'm certainly glad this is just an Omake, not part of the main story, man... it'd be really awkward if this was canon to the Grail Works.
    Oh? Why so?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I do not have a strong memory of the Addams family, though I know it's a classic. I think I've only seen it a couple of times. I have no idea how most of what Wednesday does maps to being a Servant, so I'm mostly confused. Her demeanour and aesthetic seem to fit, and I'm pretty sure she can use a gun, but after that point... it gets strange.
    One of the Family as an EX Personal Skill is certainly scary, though. I'm guessing she can call in the rest of the family? Definitely hard to quantify that.

Blog Entries
    I do not have a strong memory of the Addams family, though I know it's a classic. I think I've only seen it a couple of times.
    I started with reruns of the '60s TV series - which is much lighter and sweeter than the original (newspaper) cartoons or '90s live-action films. The darker tone of the latter was startling, at first, but enticing; and Christina Ricci as Wednesday was a revelation, particularly in the second film. Between those and the animated cartoons, the Addams Family has been part of mine for many years . . .

The Family in general is not quite human; not explicitly stated as such, but they possess an almost Looney Tunes level of capability (and certainly durability), showing flashes of agility and strength that most people can't do easily (TV series-Wednesday could judo flip a fully-grown man at six, for example, and her cinematic parents' dance skills are ridiculous), and routinely undergoing things most people wouldn't survive across all media - cyanide is a condiment in their house, for example.

At the same time, they regard themselves as being perfectly ordinary, but don't judge others for their strangeness - which perhaps makes them better human beings than most. And all incarnations, malevolent or otherwise, hold family to be of the highest importance.

. . . In Nasuverse terms, I'd almost think of them as demon hybrids who don't really suffer from Inversion Impulse; with the counterpoint being that they don't get much from it as a result.

I have no idea how most of what Wednesday does maps to being a Servant, so I'm mostly confused. Her demeanour and aesthetic seem to fit, and I'm pretty sure she can use a gun, but after that point... it gets strange.
    In truth, she generally prefers a crossbow . . .

This version, admittedly, leans a little closer to the films than to the TV series, but takes cues from the latter just the same. She's a graceful ballerina, as a result, with a (deeply) buried romantic side; she's also proficient with medieval weaponry, poisons, just about any imaginable method of torture, and can deliver chilling speeches that can either merely unnerve her enemies, or totally unmake them (as a Caster, she'd have Witchcraft (Lyric) as a Skill).

She also, as noted, appears to know Frid, somehow . . . (And truthfully, since noticing the similarities between the Reien Girls Academy uniform and Wednesday's usual outfit, I've been so tempting to have Fujino make a friend . . . )

One of the Family as an EX Personal Skill is certainly scary, though. I'm guessing she can call in the rest of the family? Definitely hard to quantify that.
    That's probably her Noble Phantasm . . . As of now, I see it as a "composite Skill" comprising Natural Body, Poisonproof, and Determination of Steel; "Child of Woe" is something similar.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Alright, sorry for not getting back to you earlier, Kieran... this week was doing everything it could to make me not reply. Now that I can actually reply...?

Well, for the most part, I don't see Frid summoning Wednesday Addams and surviving the eventual fallout of her being around. And, as it turns out, I actually want​ Frid to survive.

Blog Entries

Omake 18: Frid Summons A Different Summer Servant

Alright, sorry for not getting back to you earlier, Kieran... this week was doing everything it could to make me not reply. Now that I can actually reply...?
    It's OK - it happens.

Well, for the most part, I don't see Frid summoning Wednesday Addams and surviving the eventual fallout of her being around. And, as it turns out, I actually want​ Frid to survive.
    That is both unexpected and heartwarming - thank you.

. . . And you're probably right (it would depend on which version of Wednesday she is, of course) - and the same could likely be said of any of the "___ Evil" Servants (the Alters, Asagami Fujino, Kama, Kiyohime, etc.) - but it's still tempting to think about.

In other news, while I'm a little late for April Fool's Day, I can't help myself . . .

Sighișoara, Romania
    July 1, 2004

The last etchings made, Frid made a cut, and bleeding into his empty summoning circle, beginning to chant as he did so . . .

Ironically, Frid had a catalyst; he’d picked it up during a layover on his journey from the Orkneys. His pre-awakening reasoning, apparently, had been that it might be useful to the Yggdmillennia, given the scarcity of such things after the widescale distribution of the Heaven’s Feel ritual; and if not, it would be an interesting, if macabre, souvenir. Post-awakening, he’d still intended to hand it over—even if the Servant it would almost certainly summon was no better than Jack the Ripper, the newcomer was (probably) more reliable . . .

And then Fiore had made her request before he could even mention it and rendered the catalyst useless. For one thing, the Assassin slot was probably already filled (unless Zelretch had intervened to take out the unholy lovechild of EMIYA and Kotomine Kirei), and for another, that one wasn’t at all compatible with him.

Some of the other versions, maybe—but I’m not sure any of them would be strong enough to survive this . . . Which means I’m stuck relying on the compatibility system.

Even as he began the incantation, Frid wondered—what sort of Servant was compatible with a Master who intended to betray his comrades in spirit, if not in fact, from the beginning? He had no particular interest in the Grail, himself, and no reason to care whether the Association or the Yggdmillennia wound up with it in the end; at least, not insofar as it was kept out of the hands of Kotomine Shirou or “Count Darnicula . . .”

Shirou—the real Shirou, to his mind—would’ve approved of that, he thought.

His only concern in this affair beyond that was regarding Fiore’s wellbeing, and to a slightly lesser extent, Caules’; only “slightly,” because he did like the kid, and Fiore’s was, obviously, invested in it.

So who will it be? Normally, I'd expect Hans, but under these circumstances . . .? Medea was the betrayed, not the betrayer . . . Lancelot, maybe—or, since Mordred is a thing here, maybe her? It’d be nice to try and get her past her gender hang-up . . .

“. . . From the binding circle,” he finished in a thundering tone, “thou, Guardian of the Scales!”

Blazing light filled his vision, but his Mystic Eyes “saw” through the blindness, which revealed—

You have got to be kidding me. . .

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    Five days later

As the surrounding air literally turned to poison around her, Mordred dropped to one knee. The Saber's Endurance and Magic Resistance were both formidable—as expected of one meant to be Father’s successor and equal, after all—but this was more than even the most infamous Knight of the Round Table could bear.

Damn it, DAMN it, DAMN IT, DAMN IT . . .!

Over the rushing roar of blood, the same blood filling Saber’s lungs as her tissue melted alongside armour, sheer desperation brought a whisper of memory to Mordred’s ears—the memory of the last conversation prior to this fight.

“If you need help, Saber, I think Caster’s abilities would be a hard counter to Semiramis; even if it’s just a matter of evening the playing field. And to summon him, you only need to say three words—”

Mordred had scoffed at the insulting idea that the Saber would not only need help, but ]the help of what was, in all honesty, the most ridiculous Servant ever conceived of—but . . .

But Assassin was gloating from atop her throne with that self-satisfied smirk that reminded Mordred so much of the hag Mordred was forced to call “Mother”—and the knight really, really wanted to wipe the smug arrogance off her face. So, gathering what strength the Saber had left, both physical and mental, Mordred forced the summoning incantation to choke itself into being.

“Hey, Kool-Aid . . .

“OH YEAH!

The bellowed response accompanied Caster suddenly erupting from the wall behind the throne, sending both chair and occupant flying in the process.

(And even with the dimming of her vision, Mordred would forever treasure the sight of Assassin being sent toppling headfirst from her seat with an indignant squawk and tumbling down the dais alongside its remains.)

“Time for a refreshment break, rumbled Caster, grinning cheerily—though Mordred could never have said how. As near as could be made out, the Servant was some kind of elemental, contained in an animated jug of something that looked like glass, but was obviously muchstronger.

At the moment, however, the knight couldn’t be bothered to give a damn, because with a wave of his limbs, Caster transformed the poisons Assassin created into liquids—cool, sweet liquids that weren’t quite water or juice, though Mordred could taste a variety of fruit flavours in them, nearly as many as there were colours for them. It was like taking in a dose of distilled sunlight; the brightest and best aspects of a summer’s day.

They washed the foulness from Saber’s body, leaving the Servant energised and—there really was no other word for it—refreshed. Mordred fairly leapt to a standing position, sword in hand, ready and eager to take on Assassin with renewed vigour.

Now, if only I could understand why I suddenly have the urge to grab a “surfboard” . . .

[Class: Caster of Summer Red]
    [True Name: Kool-Aid Man (A.K.A. Pitcher-Man, Captain Kool-Aid)]
    [Height: 183cm]
    [Weight: 5000 kg]
    [Alignment: Summery Good]

[Parameters: Strength E, Dexterity E, Endurance C, Mana A+, Luck A, Noble Phantasm: EX]
    [Class Skills: Item Creation D (Kool-Aid), Territory Creation EX]
    [Personal Skills: Perfect Fluid B-, Self-Modification E, Shapeshifting A, ]

Writer's Notes: . . . I should really not re-watch older "Food Theory" videos when I'm bored.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    I found this appropriately hilarious.

Territory Creation EX for bursting through walls, creating portals, transforming liquids into kool-aid, or something else?
    ....accurate, either way.
    I might have expected more Strength to back up bursting through walls, but this definitely seems as silly as I would expect for April Fool's

Blog Entries
    I found this appropriately hilarious.
    Excellent.

Territory Creation EX for bursting through walls, creating portals, transforming liquids into kool-aid, or something else?
    ....accurate, either way.
    A bit of all of the above . . .?

I might have expected more Strength to back up bursting through walls,
    I thought about it, but ultimately decided it was more a function of weight than strength.

but this definitely seems as silly as I would expect for April Fool's
    Good.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Chapter 73 – Reactions and Repercussions

DISCLAIMER: Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of Kinoko Nasu and TYPE-MOON, along with whomever they’ve happened to license them to, such as Geneon, Funimation, A-1 Pictures and Netflix.

This is a not-for-profit, just-for-fun project.

Avalon Castle, Phantasmagoria Island (Grail Works. Ltd. Headquarters)
    Beyond the boundaries of time and space

In the final analysis, really, Sakura Matou was not a magus.

Oh, to be sure she was born of a magus lineage; she possessed both a remarkable quality and quantity of magic circuits along with a unique Sorcery Trait, and she was the acknowledged heir of the Matou magecraft, if not bloodline. And she was not only the Master of Rider, but even a potential Lesser Holy Grail . . . But all her magecraft usage was innate, not studied; she could activate its Mysteries without understanding how they worked. And what dispassion she could muster was not due to possessing the mindset of a “proper magus” as much as it was her own lack of self-worth.

Her “grandfather” had not actually desired a successor, after all, merely another shell to inhabit—why bother actually training her as opposed to simply maximising the potential use he could get out of her once he was in the driver’s seat . . .?

As such, the younger of the two (non-twin) sisters in the Works found herself at something of a loss, analysing the changes that had occurred in their first client. Mostly because it would disappoint Sempai that she—and he, by extension—wasn’t able to help (which only highlighted how useless she was), but there was a little bit of sympathy for the man himself. Sakura hadn’t interacted with him much at all, outside of working on his original template’s bindings—but while very strange, he’d generally been polite to her the few times they had.

Still, it was Rin who showed the first signs of exasperation as she let out a scream of frustration, clenching her fingers as though she wanted to strangle something.

GAH—THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

She began to pace back and forth, ranting to the ceiling. Sakura tuned her out for the most part; since meeting with Shiki-san, Rin seemed to have become convinced she was “cursed to constantly deal with idiots who lucked into bizarre situations and abilities they couldn’t even appreciate, much less comprehend”—and in the specific case of their client, Rin added things about “eldritch abominations that made NO logical sense—!

Sakura would admit, she didn’t quite grasp that part; she knew it was something about how the man appeared to Rin’s Kaleidoscope-inspired studies, but not exactly what set her off. Yes, she could tell that he was, in a way, in a “container,” much like a Servant—her knowledge of Matou magecraft could confirm that much—but both the container and the entity it held registered to her as “human.”

(At the time, Rin had muttered something about being “more real than reality,” but ultimately given up on trying to explain it to them.)

Noting that the Tohsaka heiress was winding down, Sakura gently inquired, “I take it you’ve had no luck? Or have you discovered something else about him to be jealous over?”

She had, in analysing those tattoos of his. Precisely how they functioned, she couldn’t say, but their function itself wasn’t difficult to grasp: in essence, all efforts to transform the wearer’s body, save by the wearer’s own power, were nullified. A simple concept, but as far as Sakura could tell, the application was a bit broader than might be expected. Or maybe it was whatever powered them that did it, but as far as she could tell? His aging process was so slow that it would probably take a millennium to show any real effects; he might last for two, or even three, and only really seem elderly in the final few decades of that time—though by no means declining.

Sakura shivered. Even if it did only seem to affect the body, her grandfather would’ve sold the flesh, blood and souls of every Matou alive for that—so, she surmised, might any magus. If that was the source of Rin’s ire, perhaps it was understandable . . .?

No,” Rin ground out. “It’s the fact that every time I try to probe him, I get different results from any of the other times—at this point, I think whatever’s powering him is deliberately MOCKING ME . . .!”

There was a dark part of Sakura that felt a certain satisfaction at Rin’s frustration; it wasn’t even so much the “Dark Sakura” that Grandfather had (unintentionally) created as much as it belonged to the six-year-old girl abandoned by her sister, for reasons she’d been too young to understand—and still didn’t really comprehend . . .

. . . But the part of Sakura that was trying to be worthy of Sempai reminded her that Rin had cared, in her way—and that Sempai would want to make Rin feel better—so she put a sympathetic smile on her face.

“Didn’t he say that this type of power was malleable enough to trick fate?” she asked rhetorically. “If it was that easy to see through, then . . .”

Rin deflated with a sigh. “I know, but it’s annoying—I’m trying to decipher not only the product a foreign magic system whose closest equivalent is fairy runes, I’m trying to decipher their equivalent of an entirely different magical system’s artefact, as applied to something that’s as alien to humanity in his way as the White Princess . . .

Sakura couldn’t help herself; she giggled. “You sound like you do when you’re talking about Sempai . . .” A slightly less dark part of herself—but probably still related to that six-year-old girl—prompted her to add slyly, “Then again, you were talking about marrying him . . .”

With a sound like a skipping CD, Rin abruptly went the colour of rice porridge. Her eyes widened to cartoonish proportions, before she flushed so crimson that Sakura half-expected her to faint.

“IT’S NOT LIKE THAT . . .!” the older girl exploded in a half-desperate tone (causing Sakura to have to work very hard to keep her expression to a small, satisfied smile).

Her amusement at the situation, however, was abruptly cut short by an equally sudden (and loud) explosion from Ilyasviel . . .

As a rule, Ilyasviel von Einzbern didn’t use German.

If pressed, she would claim (quite reasonably) that being in Japan made use of the language redundant, and the statement was not a lie. However, she disliked it immensely as it was the language of her childhood—or at least, what could be called her childhood, after her parents’ absence—and that time was not a happy one. Likewise, as another rule, Ilyasviel von Einzbern did not swear, at least in the sense of profanity; as a highbred, well-reared young lady, such uncouth, common vulgarities were considered anathema to her lips.

That being the case, her sudden burst of Germanic vituperation—at very high speed, to say nothing of volume—would, to anyone aware of those traits, indicate that something was very wrong.

(Of course, it managed that anyways, by virtue of being sudden, loud and German, never mind the actual content or context of the words she was using. German was a fantastic language for invective, that way.)

“What is it?” Shirou asked.

“There’s a new prana signature in Trifas, and its strength is skyrocketing,” she replied tersely. “It’s on track to equal, or exceed, the level of every other source there combined—!

“WHAT?” Rin snapped from the other side of the room, drawing her attention away from her conversation with Sakura. “From where? And how the hell does something like that just APPEAR—?”

Ilya grimaced. “I think it was there all along—I just couldn’t see it because it naturally registered as a void.

Cold, after all, was in essence the absence of heat; and eventually, of light, of movement—of any energy at all.

“But now it’s so massive that even the fringes of it leak a ridiculous amount of mystical pressure where it overlaps with the real world,” she continued. “And it’s not just growing—it’s moving.

“To where?” Shirou pressed.

“Where do you think, Onii-chan?” Ilya asked rhetorically. “Straight for the flying battleship, of course.”

“What can we do?” he pressed.

“And do we need to do anything?” Rin added. “It’s big and powerful, but that doesn’t automatically mean ‘hostile,’ does it . . .?”

The tone of her voice said that even she didn’t believe that, but Ilya knew that Rin’s devotion to being “the sensible one” insisted that she play the devil’s advocate.

“I mentioned it being a void in my senses, right?” Ilya said dryly. “Because the temperature there is really unseasonable for July—or anywhere outside of Pluto, for that matter.”

“It’s that bad?” Shirou said in alarm.

“Well, no,” she allowed. “It’s not actually quite cold enough to condense the oxygen in the air into liquid form—but if it keeps going at this rate, it will be.

“How do we stop it?”

Ilya snorted. “We don’t. Short of maybe Arcueid-san at full strength, none of us can equal that level of power; at best, we could contribute to stopping it. Even then, though, it’ll be risky. We’d be opening ourselves up to exposure—

“What will happen if that whatever-it-is is left to run around unchecked?” Shirou countered sharply.

“. . . The same that would happen if ORT woke up and did,” Ilya admitted reluctantly.

Shirou, predictably, looked blank, and Sakura was no better—but Rin’s reaction said she knew what Ilya was talking about.

“It would be bad,” she told him flatly.

“Then forget the risk—what can we do?”

Ilya sighed. “Either send Arcueid-san through with enough tinkering to her paradigm shield that that World thinks of her as being at full strength, get me enough energy to use that we can throw a wish at the problem, or send Saber and burn through Command Spells to empower her—between that and the fact that the situation will probably merit releasing eleven of Excalibur’s restraints, we can at least do some damage—maybe enough to finish it, if the players already involved can do enough themselves.

Mentioning the restraints visibly confused him again, but her brother nodded, apparently dismissing it to focus on the rest of the issue.

“All right,” he said decisively. “Ilya, start looking for energy sources and send us out as needed. Rin, Sakura, Rider? Could one of you try to track down Arcueid-san and see if she’ll help, please? Saber—”

“I await your orders, Master,” the King of Knights said formally, her professional demeanour hardening even as Ilya watched, the Servant mentally transitioning to a war footing.

“All right, everyone,” Shirou said firmly, “this is what we’re here for—let’s get to work.”

Mess Hall, Battleship Wolfen
    July 5, 2004

The sudden (and more critically, unexpected) impact sent Frid and his coffee flying.

Fortunately, however, Erik had had the foresight to set up his dining hall in the Old Norse style—tables and benches, picnic-styled—and more importantly, bolt them to the floor. The alternative, the ersatz magus was certain, would otherwise have cost him several bruises, contusions, and bone breaks; Frid hadn’t even had enough time to activate Reinforcement to do it (or an equivalent Excellency), even if he’d had the presence of mind to try.

More instinctual, in his current form, was an activation of his Mystic Eyes to scan for potential threats; if something had actually penetrated the ludicrous number of defences that he knew Erik was liable to employ, all the forewarning he could get was an absolute necessity.

Imbalance—the room was still tilted half a degree or so off of “level,” and colder; had the temperature controls been damaged . . .? Vibrations—motion, something outside, and regular . . .

“Cold” is usually
    Erik’s schtick—

Frid stopped as the rhythmic nature of the vibrations finally clarified in his head as steps—the steps of something BIG . . .

That damned
    golem—which, like the Gardens, can endure beyond Caster of Black’s existence because it’s made of physical components—if the Heart of Winter got its metaphorical hands on it, with those homunculus batteries to help run the damned thing . . .

Did it make sense? Not entirely, perhaps—but it was the worst-case scenario, and both Scions and Holy Grail Wars had a history of going straight to such things; perhaps especially when things were looking like they were over.

“I really should’ve seen this coming,” Frid muttered.

XX, he called, where are you?

Hovering, Master,
    came the Servant’s response. I have the target in sight but am out of its range—for now. It appears to be transforming the surrounding area into a winter landscape, and the effect is spreading . . .

Yeah, it does that.

Frid didn’t expect Gaia’s natural resistance to Reality Marbles to have any more effect against a Titan’s will and power than it normally did, being arguably the closest thing “The Will of the Planet” had to a peer—indeed, one would assume it had less. And since the golem itself was designed to transform its surroundings into “the Garden of Eden,” the actual effort on the Heart of Winter’s part would be minimal; all it would need to do was redefine the end result of the process.

Meanwhile, he was wracking his brain trying to remember how the fight against the bloody thing had gone in Fate/Apocrypha canon—and how to achieve a similar result with the mishmash of different or outright vanished Servants that they had in this world.

Mash’s Lord Camelot can hopefully stand in for Jeanne’s Luminosité Eternelle; Mordred’s fine, but I’ve got to find Fatso—we need Siegfried back as fast as possible. Chiron’s fine, and if Erik finished what he was planning, EMIYA might manage to cover off the lack of Vlad for firepower . . .

Of course, Frid realised, all of that would cover fighting merely the golem; with a Titan’s metaphysical heart for power and direction, the scale was probably closer to fighting Tiamat.

He glanced up and said clearly, “I wouldn’t say no to a Grand Servant right about now . . .”

When any such being failed to materialise, Frid went back to figuring out what the hell to do. The only Anti-World Noble Phantasm he could think of—that being about the only thing that might scale to a Beast-level threat—was Semiramis’, and with the Greater Grail out of play, he doubted that she’d get its full power out of it, even if she could be induced to fight. That left . . .

XX, can you access your “Nameless Nebula Sword?”

It might not have been used in Fate/Grand Order, but it, too, was an EX-ranked Noble Phantasm, and typed as “Anti-Army" over her current one’s “Anti-Unit;” whether it actually would be more effective he wasn’t sure, but unless the effect of her Strengthening Quest’s raising the latter from EX to ‘EX’ was in play here, he had to assume that of two identically-ranked Noble Phantasms, “Army” beat “Unit”, even if the latter supposedly destroyed the planet it was used on.

My Cosmo-Reactor might provide enough power under the present circumstances, Master, his Servant’s mental voice interrupted his thoughts. However, given the prana drain of a mere “Double X Dynamic” attack, I don’t think you would survive it.

Before he could reply to that, she added sharply, And regardless of your willingness to sacrifice yourself, destroying my universe via time paradox is NOT an acceptable victory condition, Master.

. . . That’s fair,
    Frid admitted.

(And it gave him a bit of hope: he would, in theory, at least survive this fight—even if he had no idea how, right now).

All right. For now, coordinate yourself with Erik—you know how he fights, I assume, and how to integrate your efforts with his to best effect. I’ll keep working on the problem and be in touch when I’ve got something.

Understood, Master.

The awareness of her presence dimmed, and Frid followed through on his stated plans.

[First Excellency: Intelligence, Wits]

Magical energy was the big issue right now. Without the Greater Grail, XX was even more reliant on him to anchor her (if less so than a traditional Heroic Spirit, given that she was essentially a living one)—and while his reserves refilled relatively quickly, she was still limited by his Essence Pool. Moreover, while he wasn’t as strong as he could be, Exalts in their first century had a hard cap on how high their Essence could get, regardless. Even in top potential form, it wouldn’t amount to all that much more.

. . . And thinking of game rules, Frid abruptly realised something: he’d been planning to fight the TYPE-MOON aspects of the problem, but the golem’s natural ability was the next best thing to a Reality Marble, and the Titan might have adapted it to run on Scion’s rules. Which would mean that they couldn’t rely on the Servants to function as well as usual, and maybe not at all . . .

Now he felt even more useless, and all the more frustrated for it—after all, while individual Titans had been known to challenge whole pantheons in Scion, Exalts had literally been made to kill their setting’s equivalent. Sure, it had taken armies of thousands to do it, but that was mostly of the least powerful of the Exalted; the Celestials had numbered less than a thousand, overall. And they’d been fighting all of them at once—the Titans, comparatively, weren’t nearly as coordinated, being as antagonistic to each other as to everything else.

And this, right now, was only a fragment of an avatar of a Titan; combined with Erik’s usual penchant for overkill, even a single Exalt might manage to inflict some real damage—if he had the Essence to burn, and the time to work out the right Charms . . .

Right now, I wish I was the Master XX remembers—from the sounds of it, that version of me had time to do things like cherry-pick the best stuff from Glories of the Most Hi—

Frid stopped, as pieces abruptly clicked into place, bringing with them a wild, desperate—but entirely possible—idea . . .

Scylla!” he barked to the empty air. “I’ve got a plan!”

“Little busy right now, Boss’s Friend,” replied the intelligence running the ship tersely.

“Yeah—big frosty golem attack, I know,” the ersatz magus snapped. “I’ve got an idea that might either give us a way to take care of it entirely or can at least buy you some time to build up to a sucker punch. At the very worst, it’ll probably still do enough damage to burn through that thing’s reserves so it can’t regenerate as much damage as I’m betting it is right now.”

There was a moment of silence, and in his present, mentally-overclocked state, Frid could almost hear the thing process the fact that he had accurately described the state of affairs despite the equally-undeniable fact that he had no attributable way of knowing what was going on.

“. . . I’m listening,” it said at last.

“I need you to get me to Olga Marie Animusphere,” he said plainly. “Right now.

A neon-red line, complete with pointing arrowhead tip, appeared on the floor in front of him.

“Is that clear enough?” Scylla asked sarcastically.

Frid saved his breath for running.
    Last edited by Kieran; April 19th, 2021 at 07:44 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette