Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: [FF] Grail Works, Ltd.: Fate/Anarchy (Type-Moon/Scion crossover)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Oooof, Antares Snipe. While it doesn't destroy that much, it's completely impossible to dodge (I especially love its effect in F/GO), and tends to be aimed for maximum damage, which is pretty nasty against anything with a centralized weak point, that isn't Servant-level defense (and presumably MUCH tougher than a plane). I would question whether you could block it with foot-thick mundane steel. Limitation to once per night might be important here, though.

Not sure if ordinary radiation burns should really affect a Servant, but considering it's damage inflicted by another Servant using a weapon they're conceptually associated with, that probably works.

Good to see Black is being somewhat sensible about their options, and we're going to see both sides retreat for a bit. Plus, Erik actually hearing that, particularly that they plan to seal up the Heart, should remove a lot of the urgency.

Legend usage is 1 Untouchable, 3 Shot to the Heart, 5 Pykrete because the mech is big, 10 for recloak? Yeah, that recloak cost wasn't a joke, that hurts. Extends his rest time by a full day, though it's better than running around uncloaked. I feel like Shot to the Heart probably isn't super relevant unless he's fighting Siegfried (then it's really good, though actually managing to hit someone's back when they're fighting you seems like it should be very hard, especially if they're Servant speed), though it sounded like it applies to Hippogriff dimensional shift as well? Interesting.

Also really enjoyed Vlad getting tossed through the forest.
    Still getting ready to update Erik's character sheet. (Yeah, it's going SLOW. Sorry for that...)

In order, Antares Snipe, I'm ruling that it's "NEARLY" impossible to dodge. But while using Untouchable Opponent to double his dodge ability, and going at Mach 2 with afterburners can barely do it, IF Erik sees it coming. ONLY IF. Mach 3 would be smarter, in this case, and have a better chance, but it's less likely to work since Amaterasu doesn't have that skill, and comes from a completely different skill set.

Considering Erik failed to even spot it coming, he got nailed HARD. Also, Mecha Fafnir MK2 took a huge, HUGE chunk of health off from that one. Between his normal soak, the armor plating, and the pykrete? Erik had a whopping 17 lethal soak, on top of the natural +15 armor soak, and another 8 soak from the Pykrete. That's a good 40 soak to stop anything that hits it (Which is why Vlad, to his horror, discovered that the Stakes did NOTHING whatsoever...), and Antares Snipe still did a whopping 1/3rd of the machine's health in a single shot.

So he got hit pretty bad for the first shot, but barely dodged the second use. Barely. Considering it's an effective orbital strike... I judged it to do a whole lot of damage.

Considering Erik's using divinely forged meteorite iron for his mecha plating, it's not that easy to break his stuff.

As for radiation burns, it's still very much "A weapon that has been crafted by a God". So it's fair game for hurting Servants, as much as they'd like it to not be. On top of that, an incarnation of a Goddess, posing as a servant to use it, that boosts it? Yeah, he's not that well off, even if he survived. The secret rolls for last time involved if Chiron survived the fall or not. He did, then got caught by Astolfo rather than landing on Fiore's bed. While she was in it, resting, no less. You can decide if she was lucky, or unlucky with that.

Pykrete has two options for the ability. To coat something with pykrete that soaks for half the legend Erik has, or for his full amount. 3 for the half soak, 5 for the full soak. As for Shot to the Heart, it makes it easier by the amount of Epic Dice Erik has, to hit something. That's how Erik got Astolfo while the Wolfen couldn't. The hippogryph could dimensional shift, but he timed it perfectly for right when it came out of a dimensional shift, on what little cooldown it's skill has, before it could re-use it's innate ability.

Unfortunately for Erik, he couldn't finish off Chiron with that last blow to them, even if they sent them flying off the hippogryph. Astolfo used himself as a human shield against the bulk of the damage. Which, admittedly, left HIM somewhat hurt. But Servant, what can you do?

Finally, for Vlad? His noble phantasm outright LOST to the Wolfen's main cannon, but at the same time, the Wolfen couldn't quite kill him in time. Unfortunately, a 60 second timer between shots makes it not that useful in battle, as anything more than a stupidly strong alpha strike, unless it's drawn out.

*chuckles* Him going on a ride in the forest, being used as a bludgeon against trees, really WAS fun to write, however. Just imagine his head thumping like a drum against trees in an entire forest, and you've got how that part started out as. Considering Shot to the Heart also makes it easier for aiming at a single spot, or weak point? Yeah. Erik knew EXACTLY where to shoot those tail bombs for the exact right spot so Vlad would fly into his claws.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Personally? I want to know how this system of dice rolling even works. Is there any way I can find the rules online?

- - - Updated - - -

*ahem* Anyway, I feel that this chapter has been done greatly, as well as the chapter before it. It meets and exceeds expectations for me.
    Scion rules CAN be found online, or you can get them at the drivethru rpg store online for fairly cheap. Second edition's coming out sometime soon, though, and that's going to change a lot. Some basics, however, is as follows.

A lot is hinted at for Erik's character sheet, bottom of page 1. As for rolls in general, you use a roll that involves the weapon, or equipment, or tools. It's partially why Erik has so much variety for crafting. For anything that's involved with the crafting he's using right now, he rolls for, and with.

One big issue with Scion, is that most people will start up with firearms, not realizing that firearms really is fucked over, once you get past the Hero tier, and into Demigod tier, for damage. Crossbows, Throwing knives, Throwing Discuses, all add a level of damage per level of epic strength, to the damage roll at the end, because you have to use strength to throw it, or cock it, for crossbows. Firearms don't get anything like that.

While I was playing Erik, I found that Lasers, according to Kieran's ruling as the DM/GM, did Aggravated damage, instead of lethal. Because of this improving the damage values Erik could tap into significantly enough, I went back from throwing weapons and crossbows, to Lasers. It meant I ignored a lot of other options, including my rifle turned gas powered crossbow, for that matter.

Of course, now I have to work out with Kieran if Erik got EXP from this little stunt of his, and if so, how he'll be spending it. *chuckles* As well as finish the character sheet, etc. etc.

Now that I'm done with that bit of a side rant, I'll get back to work on trying to write up all the skills Erik used for this, that aren't in the character sheet yet. Glad you enjoyed it, and enjoyed me exceeding expectations for the chapter.

That's what I'm AFTER, after all.

Let's face it. I might not be perfect for describing things, unless I'm reminded TO describe things. However, I'm pretty decent for fight scenes.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; April 22nd, 2019 at 02:05 AM.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Since Kieran's unable to write for a while, due to his real life issues acting up, have another interlude! This one, I didn't exactly PLAN to write, but covers ground between Interlude 1 and 2.

Yeah, it's not perfect, I'll admit. But enjoy!

Interlude 1.5: Godly Politics are not always Pleasant

1500 AC (After Cataclysm)

I sigh, watching another rocket roar into the heavens. 15th this year.

250 years since we managed to get space flight working again, with biological fuel rather than oil, gasoline, or something more powerful. Methane of all things for fuel. Reminds me of that one Mad Max movie... what was it again?

It's been so long since we've had a working television, I don't even remember anymore. Damn. I can't help but sigh, softly.

We're living, but we don't have much of a culture. Not anymore.

I pull out my flask, then sip from it, even as I turn, only to pause at the sight of Shirou Kotomine coming up.

"It's been a while, hasn't it, Erik?"

I study him, then sigh.

"You really have the balls to show up again after the last time you pissed off my wife?"

He flinches, then chuckles.

"To be fair, I'm sure she isn't THAT mad."

I glare at him, then snort.

"She is. She finds you, you'll be stuck as a woman for a couple centuries again."

He goes a bit pale, while studying me.

"You're kidding, right?" I can hear the worry in his voice.

"Well, that or until you figure out how to change your gender yourself."

He winces, more. "There goes my plan to bring her sake to appease her..."

I snort. "Especially since the last batch was foul tasting?"

He winces.

"Took too long to get here?"

I shake my head, then sigh. "It only lasts about a year before going bad. Maybe a year and a half, at best. Plus... rice REALLY doesn't grow well here, with this climate. Amaterasu may have kept Japan's seasons from getting too bad off, but she doesn't protect us here."

I can see a glint of light reflecting in eyes behind him, as he studies me, before I sigh and remove my sunglasses.

"So, did you have to piss off my wife the last time she saw you? Seriously, what possessed you to run naked through her lab, then hide in her closet?"

He flinches.

"One of the Great Enemy's suborned demigods hit me with an illusion that made me think I was still in the cave systems for a few days. I thought I'd stumbled upon a hidden base of theirs, and was hiding in one of their closets."

"And burning most of her clothes?" I raise my eyebrow at him, and watch more eyes appear behind him, slightly glowing, even as I focus on his face so he won't notice.

"Part of the illusion. I thought if I'd get the bastards to be naked, they'd not be able to fight me." He sounds irritated at this point.

"Well, I'm sorry you got so mind-fucked. You'll have to work on anti illusion techniques better, won't you, Shirou?"

He sighs, and nods, then looks up at the rocket trailing into the sky. I join him, studying it.

"So, what's the rockets for?"

"Sending supplies to Orbit, then Mars. The orbital rail guns need to be repaired, too, you know." I smirk even as I can hear him just rub his forehead, then sigh.

"I'm grateful for that. Those things are one hell of a help."

"I'll say. I designed them, and I'm still grateful they work as well as they do." I sigh, then lean against the railing, watching the rocket trail.

"So, why haven't you expanded Yharnham?"

I glance his way. "Like you've expanded those walled cities of yours into small Countries in their own right?"

He sighs, and nods. It takes time for me to figure out how to answer things properly, before I speak up. "Mostly population issues. If we expand, more of the room would be taken up by my kids than the worshippers we need to keep the kids alive and safe..."

I watch him wince, then nod.

"Yeah, only getting a tiny few worshipers means you're fucked in the long run, am I right Erik?"

I nod back at him, then sip from my flask calmly even as I think.

"Erik? How well ARE things going in space?"

"Wolf Home Mark 2's doing well on the moon, but we've been running into massive issues with mining too deep. Wolf Home, the original, on the other hand, is out in the asteroid belt, building itself up. Mark 3's out in the Ort cloud, collecting enough water and metal to be useful for if things go truly wrong. It's just that the population on each is spectacularly tiny, too."

I pause, for a moment, letting that sink in, before I continue. "Most of the kids I haven't trusted with the purview for teleportation, for good reason. With how easily they've been manipulated into working for the Great Enemy, and the Frostspawn, teleporting foes is a terrifying concept. That also means I have nearly no time for ensuring any better options than teleportation is made. It's taken 250 years for regular shipments to start up, to send supplies and equipment into orbit. It's going to take at least a thousand, if not more, for things to solidify enough for us to be able to build an army capable of defeating the Great Enemy for good, or to evacuate the planet if all fails."

Turning, I look over my shoulder to study him. He's wincing in understanding.

"How are you holding up, Shirou? You've had your people model things more and more after Dark Souls, and I've noticed more and more people are being named similar to characters out of Dark Souls, after all. Are you okay?"

He snorts, then grins. "I'm honestly fine on that front, Erik. Though one of my newest Ashen in training, young Artorias, has grown quite friendly with one of Fenris' descendants..."

I sigh, softly. "You recall my warnings, right? About what will happen if your people are too similar to the people in Dark Souls? Legends have a way of making people follow them, Shirou. If you keep letting things get more and more similar... so too, will your fate, be more and more similar to Gwyn's, in Dark Souls."

I glare at him, then smirk. "Of course, my wife would be happy to solve that for you by giving you a sex change, so you don't have to worry about it."

He laughs, then winces, once he sees I'm not laughing with him. "She's still really that pissed?"

I nod at him, and fold my arms. "She's going to make it at least a few centuries, to buy you time so this whole 'Dark Soul's' thing blows over, and you don't go the way Gwyn did in the games."

He winces, then sighs. "Considering my Fire's been weakening faster and faster, I suspect it wouldn't be a bad idea to do SOMETHING, but I'd rather not have a sex change, even if it's a well meaning one, as a result of that. I think I should go, then."

I study him, then nod, thinking. "Give me a minute, then."

He pauses, and blinks, as I walk to a nearby fridge, then pull out a crate of alcohol. "Good stuff, and the bottles won't break if you bang them, considering they're titanium and half an inch thick."

I chuckle at the look on his face. "You know damned well, that the bottles are necessary if you're going to get them all the way back to your own countries, right? With the increased Frostspawn attacks..." I sigh. "Seriously, though, before you want to leave... you do get why I'm worried, I hope? That we warn you because if you don't change things, and soon, your fate will be the same as Gwyn's was in Dark Souls? Your Fire going out, and someone having to replace you, over and over, until only your Ashen armies remain as people willing to try to fix your Fire?"

I study him, closely. "You understand that if the similarities continue to grow, you'll be screwed, right? Utterly fucked over, incarnating until you die, each new mortal replacing you not having the power of your divinity to keep the flame going, until your soul is gone?"

He flinches, softly. "I'm working on it with Jeanne and Scathach, Erik. Scathach recently came out of hiding to help, and she's been helping a lot with things."

I just shrug, then put the bottles down in front of him, before backing up to sip on my flask. "I get it." Sighing, I think, before I continue. "I admit, it's not a perfect situation. Just keep in mind you're heading closer and closer to the knife's edge, and if this Artorias is any sign of how close things are to the games... you're close to being fucked over somehow."

He nods, then thinks, while picking up a bottle. I smile, even as he opens it, then takes a sip. "Good stuff. Anything else you want to tell me, Erik?"

I can see two hundred lights, reflected in eyes behind him, as I nod. "You recall how pissed my wife was that she didn't get to you the last time, right? More than that, how the Legion of Coal couldn't catch you? Or any mechs?"

He slowly nods. "Yes...?"

I just sigh. "Did you really think she wouldn't get those issues fixed, so she could catch you?"

The slow, dawning look of horror on his face is a thing of beauty, as I take a picture of his face, just before he slowly turns around, to see a legion of fox robots watching him.

"You son of a bitch, Erik."

I just shrug at him. "You do recall that we've tried to teach you that one skill to shift your gender, as a God, for the last millennium, right? It's so you don't have to worry about shit like this, and can shift your divinity more, so there's less similarities to Gwyn. You're the one that refused to even try things out. Don't blame me for this intervention fucking you over, Shirou Kotomine. If you aren't going to work to keep yourself from your divinity burning your very soul away to save humanity, my wife will. The clothes are just an excuse to make your life hell with it."

I walk off, even as I hear the sounds of a hundred mechanical screams, and him screaming as he gets dragged off, and the crate of alcohol with him. Then I turn, to the massive fox mech Tamamo is in, walking out from around the corner.

"Your new machines are a lot like out of Five Nights at Freddy's. The Screams, too. Did you get some computers working again for those games, dear?"

She pops open a hatch on the head, and pulls herself out, launching herself at me. I pull her close, hugging and kissing my wife.

I pull back, then sigh, after a long while. "You're sure that this will keep him from dying next year, my love?"

She nods. "It's the only way to save him from the Great Enemy's next plot."

I nod, then hug her. "You look cute in the new armor, dear. T-elos, much, though?"

She smirks. "If it works and enhances your abilities, why not wear it?"

I can't help but laugh at her comment, as I pick her up and carry her home.

"Anyways, at least it isn't bridal training, right Dear?" I can hear her giggling, as I carry her.

"Indeed. You're right on that, my wife."

"Also, yes, dear. Before I forget, I DID get some computers working again. They're rather finicky though."

Huh. Sweet. "Means we can do multiplayer gaming again?"

She laughs, as we walk towards our city in the distance.

1750 AC (After Cataclysm)

I sit, and look over what used to be a mountain range, now a lake of lava that I've carefully sculpted out, with massive refineries covering huge sections of it. Geothermal plants everywhere, massive refineries that take the molten rock, and turn it into useable metal... it's been a massive, 250 year undertaking of sculpting the planet, and remodeling it, to render most of the former country of Romania, barring my city, into a massive lava lake to keep Frostspawn from getting to us.

It's also been 250 years since we've last seen Shirou Kotomine, but I can see her in the distance, walking towards me, on a road that passes over the lava fields.

Been a while, Shirou.”

She looks up, then glares at me. “How the fuck did she know, Erik? How the hell did she know that things were about to go to hell, and would have killed me if I'd remained male?”

Settle down, and I'll talk about it!”

She scowls, then marches closer. Her clothes look like a wreck, as well, especially in the heat for the area. I focus, and just cool her off, with an extension of my will. Ah, Blizzard Call, how I love you. Personal air conditioning with this heat? Hell yes.

I offer her some ice cold water to drink, then settle back, watching the lava plumes. “It's boiling hot. Now settle the fuck down, and relax.”

She nods, then sits beside me, basking in the cold. It takes her a bit to realize she's grown stronger from the heat, but when she does, she just blinks repeatedly.

Huh. My fire warms up from Lava, too? That's...”

I nod, then sigh. “Your powers involve heat. With how much Frostspawn are spreading their area of influence, and that damned ice... of course it's going to be less effective, the more our Great Enemy's influence grows. Your people just assumed that meant the fire could die. As for why things have gotten like this, specifically?”

I cool off another drink for myself, then sip on it. “Tamamo has a skill that lets her go back and forth into the future and past, but not be able to influence things. We've been using it like crazy to keep you alive as long as we can. However, in about 250 years, something odd happens, and we can't see past that point. Back in our home universe, we could alter history, as well... but in this one, we can't. We can only monitor it.”

She pauses, and just slowly turns to stare at me, flinching. “So she knew to set me up for a sex change...”

Because you'd die otherwise, and she saw how it would happen? Exactly.” Sighing, I settle back, and study her.

It takes a while for her to work things out, before she finally sighs, and looks at me. “How did I die?”

I chuckle, darkly. “Come over to Yharnham, and play the games. It was nearly one for one to how Gwyn died in Dark Souls.”

She nods, and sighs. “Any other reasons, Erik?”

Sighing, I turn, then study her, before nodding. “You do recall the whole 'Fated to die at the Ragnarok, with the survivors becoming the new Gods', bit for the Norse Pantheon, right? The reason why that happened in the first place, is that Gods become what their followers think they should be. If we don't strive to constantly change ourselves, better ourselves, we become what our worshipers want us to be, no matter how much we fight it. And prophecy makes it even worse. I myself am known to be one, that, with Tamamo's guidance, BROKE prophecy. Broke the bindings that prophecy put upon us.”

I scratch at my beard, letting her digest what I'm saying, before I continue. “Us Gods are shaped by our worshipers, just as much as we help our worshipers. If they think we'll be cruel, we'll find ourselves becoming cruel. If they think we'll be kind, we'll be more kind. If they think that we'll die, if our abilities are removed from us, then we'll die. If they think we'll be more like a character in Dark Souls, then we'll be more like that character.”

She flinches, at that last part, before slowly nodding as she contemplates it.

More than that, have you even looked at your lieutenants? Demigods, all of them. Name for name, out of Dark Souls, Shirou. More than that, they were petitioning for you to change your name to GWYN. The name of the God in Dark Souls, that DIES because he can't keep the fire GOING!”

She just flinches slowly, wincing more. “Think about it, Shirou. If you want to live, then you need more. Less people taking names out of Dark Souls, and more names from other options! My wife turning you female to help you wasn't enough, not in the long run. You need to understand how close you are to being utterly, truly fucked over by your people. But... with you being female, you're pushing back at the fate they were trying to give you, right now.”

How do I fix it?”

I point at the lava flow. “Stop turning your followers that sacrifice themselves to the fire, into Ashen. Stop sacrificing followers for the fire to be enhanced. Instead, find active volcanoes, and dig in. Have your Ashen work with volcanoes, work with lava. Heat or no heat, ensure lava pools exist in every city, or near every city, as access. Move your churches near the lava pools, your priests and priestesses to there. After that's done, show them that the lava enhances the fire, that you've found a better, STRONGER way to enhance the flames. If you do that, you'll spare them the worst of things, and change things for the better.”

She nods, then sighs. “Let's go play that Dark Souls game series, then.”

I nod, leading her towards the city in the distance. “Just don't play the game without earphones, and keep quiet about it. The Frostspawn are getting more and more vicious in their attacks, and they target Computers and Video Vame consoles to keep us from having any entertainment, whenever they get a sleeper agent in.”

She winces, then looks at me. “They're getting that bad?”

I'll be honest with you, they're doing everything in their power to sabotage the Hunter's Dream VR simulation. As it stands, we're holding fine, but they're more and more desperate to stop us from producing stronger Gods than their Demigods could ever be... it's only a matter of time before someone manages to sabotage it somehow. 802 Gods might sound like a lot, but we've only got a small pool of worshipers, so we can't hold the line every day. It's why we have the lava fields, now. It's going to take the Great Enemy personally coming to counter this, and he can't risk it as long as your city kingdoms still exist, Shirou.”

She sighs, before I sigh as well. “I get it, Erik. Another 250 years for me being like this, before things settle down enough that I can be male again?”

I nod, and rub my forehead. “For safety's sake, as much as I know you hate it, yes.”

We walk to Yharnham, my city. On the horizon, I can see Frostspawn, by the millions, assault the lava fields. It's a daily assault by the millions, now, much as I hate it. We're still holding the line, though, no matter what they would wish to the contrary. Now if only I could convince my kids that their siblings that run off to join the Frostspawn want them all dead, and hate them...

Author's Notes:
    Prophecy, and legend, is a horrible, terrible thing to fight, in Scion. Shirou going so far as to have his cities named after countries from Dark Souls is okay. Having demigods start to shape similar to the Demigods and legendary warriors in Dark Souls? Not so much. The more your legend is like something, the more you're twisted to be like what your legend insists you'll become.

So in the original timeline, Tamamo had to take drastic measures to figure out how to save Shirou from himself and his own stupid mistakes.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; April 27th, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I hate to triple post, to be honest here, but since there's no replies, would anyone like to ask me anything about things going on for either side of the story, the interludes that involve the original history, or the main story itself? I won't give out too many spoilers, but since Kieran's unable to write right now, I may as well offer information or insight on my side of things.

I WILL be updating Erik's character sheet more with information about his Mecha, as soon as I'm able to figure out how to update the post with spoilers for pictures, so they don't take up huge chunks of the page. Unless you'd rather have links for images, instead.

Still, any questions, concerns, thoughts?

As for the status of my next chapter, it's about 2/3rds done, but I'm waiting for Kieran's next chapter before I post my own.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, I've got no questions right now, at least not yet.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Nope, that one made sense. Shirou's unholy love of Dark Souls amuses me, though I'd think that if I was going to base a religion on a fictional universe, I'd do my utmost to hide the original source material from my devotees. Carefully crafted pseudo-propaganda that maximally empowers me and leaves me with autonomy, sure. Fated dooms? Not so much. I suspect that was his intent, but it seems like he didn't spend enough effort on the propagandizing (or didn't let there be enough time between the actual cataclysm and establishing derivative religion for everyone to have forgotten the source material)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    As Kieran is still recovering, have another interlude. Keep in mind, with this, we're ramping up to the interlude's fights. Unlike the main story, where Fate Characters are the main characters that usually win, you get to see how Gods fight in these interludes.

Also, next main chapter on my side, is 2/3rds done, and waiting for another skype call with Kieran before I can finish it. Admittedly, it won't be posted until after his, so you're getting more side story until then.

Interlude 2: Semiramis and Shirou

1999 AC (After Cataclysm)
    Wolfhome, Castle Yarnham

I walk, towards Erik's throne, silently. It's been 250 years since I withdrew from my people's eyes, except for visits. Explanations. Warnings. Orders. The usual, for one such as myself, I suppose.

Being stuck as a woman has been enlightening, though not in the most pleasant of ways. Discovering the plots against me, to slaughter all my priests left me seeking refuge with Erik long term, until the lava flows for each town could be completed.

Even now, two and a half centuries later, I still have nightmares about how close it came to my death. If I had been even a tiny bit slower... I would have been killed that day.

Still, today is a good day. I've received word from my people that we've managed to summon Semiramis somehow. I miss her, me damn it.

Or maybe it would be Erik damn it? It's not easy to swear at a God, when you ARE a God. Even though I will always be one of HIS Priests... I serve more than just Yahweh now, rather serving all of humanity that comes to me for aid.

Nevertheless, she has been summoned. Yet... tomorrow is the day of when Tamamo and Erik spoke of, the point in time where they could see no further.

I'm not the only one that senses a trap somehow for these next few days. Erik and Tamamo have been more and more worried, the coming days up until today. Tomorrow is the last day they can clearly see, 2000 AC. 2000 years, to the day, after the Cataclysm on July 5th, 2004.

Semiramis, showing up right before it? I hope she'll be able to help. Perhaps something has gone wrong with the summoning, though?

I can't help but smile, as Erik hugs several of his children, before sending them off to secure the borders. They all make him so happy, even if he always looks so sad at the idea of losing them.

“You're going, Shirou?” I look up at Erik, who's studying me intently.

“Yeah. If it's her, I need to see her. And if it isn't, I need to deal with the fake.”

He sighs, softly. “Are you sure you can't stay with us the next few days? With how much stronger you are, due to the lava fields surrounding Yharnham... we'll be glad to have you, and help.”

I sigh, too. “I wish. But I should meet with them, as a man. I've finally mastered that damnable transformation to shift my gender, after all.”

I grin a bit, then sigh. “If only it didn't take a full 24 hours to shift back.”

He snorts. “At least you can do it, right? Do you want any backup? I can supply you a full set of jet fighters...”

I think, then nod. “That'll work, Erik. I only want to save humanity... but being like this... it's a lot harder than I ever anticipated.”

He laughs. “Don't I know it?”

I walk forward, to shake his hand. “Thanks for helping me out so much, Erik. Without you and your wife saving my ass so much, this would be harder.”

He pulls me into a hug, instead. “I get it, Shirou. You take care of yourself, you hear? Keep practicing that stuff, and if anything goes wrong, you LET ME KNOW. I'll be there personally with my remaining War Beast, Metal Gear Rex MK3.5. Understand?”

I nod, then glance around. “You've got it. Tamamo and Scylla are missing?”

He chuckles. “They're preparing some equipment for you, for when you leave. We've finally cracked light sabers and fighter based gravity systems, though they're energy and fuel hogs.”

I blink, then stare at him. “Holy shit. That's... one hell of an ace in the hole.”

He smiles, and nods. “Indeed. With that, we've got cheaper fighters that can handle going into space and back without issues. More than that, we don't need rockets so much anymore.”

That... changes everything.

“With that, you can reload the orbital rail guns once every few minutes rather than days, am I right? And do repairs within hours...”

He just grins, widely, with years coming off his face. “Indeed. With this, we can drive them further back, and retake some territory. Maybe even strike the Great Enemy himself.”

I grin. “Thanks for all your help. With this, we can tell my people that we have a final chance to win.”

He nods, before leading me to the place where the transport is being set up, personally.

“How are you powering that gravity system, Erik? I didn't think you're getting enough uranium for to power ships, more than the bare minimum, at least.”

He chuckles, darkly. “I finally managed to get Antimatter working. It's stupidly dangerous to work with, though, even for me, but it's working damned well for the few ships we've built that uses it.”

I shiver at his words. “You're shitting me, right? You're kidding?”

He laughs, darkly. “I wish. We're running out of natural resources, Shirou. If we can't figure out how to produce more than we're losing... it's why I've done this. I still can't create materials and metals like I was originally, in our home universe. I can alter the properties of materials, but it's... out of my grasp for making new ground now.”

“Well... fuck. Little wonder you're so desperate. Is it well shielded, at least?”

He nods, and sighs. I sigh, as well. I'll take what I can, I suppose.

Tamamo's head peeks up, before she waves at us, out of a cockpit of a... futuristic space fighter?

“If you've ever played Star Fox 64, or Star Fox Assault, you'll recognize the Wolfen. Since our flagship is still a tower, we decided to name the first of these ships after it.” I can hear Erik chuckling, even as I walk forwards to study the machine before me.

“It's a beautiful thing. You've really gotten reactors so small, as well as those gravity systems?” I turn, studying him, only to watch him nod and grin.

I study it, even as we walk closer, before Tamamo pulls herself out, and walks to us. “I got you something! So did Scylla, for that matter!”

I sigh, before I start to chuckle. “What did you get me, Tamamo?”

She pulls out an odd tube like... thing, as well as what looks like two pairs of armor. The armor me of a male and female version, similar to hers.

Wait. That tube thing looks familiar. “What is that tube thing?”

She grins, widely. “Turn it on and see! I can't use the damned things, since they run too hot for me, but you and Erik both can with ease! Stupid fire abilities...”

I take it, then flick the switch.

Crackle, Hiss.

Is this... a lightning sword? Wait. No. I remember something like this. I turn it, and twist it, listening to the sound of it vaporizing air as it moves around.

“It's a knockoff lightsaber, isn't it. Made of lightning that's been focused, concentrated somehow.”

They both grin at me, in sync. Me damn it. How do I cope with them?! Then again... I study the blade, and look closely at it, blinking. You know. I can't really blame them for the neat sword. This thing is AWESOME, now that I get used to it.

“I'd hate you, but I'm too eager to use it to be mad.” They both laugh for a long while, and I can't help but join them.

Tamamo eventually stops, and grins widely. “My armor's based similarly to T-elos from Xenosaga, so we made yours in a similar vein, Shirou. Yours is based on Kos-Mos for the female version, and the male version's a variant designed for men, and not showing off the body so much. Should protect you and help heal you against most poisons, protect you against most acids, and it's pretty durable.”

I smile, pick both up, then chuckle. “All the more reasons to make me feminine, so I don't trigger that doom meant for me, huh Tamamo? The modeling me in sexy things is just a perk, am I right?”

She laughs. “Actually, I'm hoping to set you up with some of my daughters, later, if Semiramis doesn't go through for you.”

I smile, then nod, before pulling it on. As I do so, Erik speaks up. “They've got an in built teleportation system to swap them as you swap genders, Shirou. You shouldn't go without it.”

I pause, turn towards him, then nod. “And the headset?”

He smirks. “Built in communications with us, and a system to monitor your health status at all times. Keep it on at all times, will you? It also gives you a decent gaming headset for if you're bored and want to play Tetris, or a heads up display if you need data.”

I laugh, then sigh. “I'll miss you both. I'm not exactly fond of my current gender, but I can't really blame you for pulling this on me considering the alternative. Considering there was no other way to shift my fate in time, you did what you could.”

They nod, before a tentacle drops a case of alcohol in front of me. “Here you go! Have fun, and some is from Fenris, too. He can't make it, since he's in orbit, helping with the defenses up there right now, but he wanted to wish you the best of luck!”

I pause, just... thinking that over for a moment, before I have to ask the thing going across my mind. “How does a wolf the size of a goddamned MOUNTAIN set up defenses in orbit?”

Erik laughs his ass off, before grinning. “It happens if the wolf in question finally figured out how to take a human form!”

“Oh no, now he'll prank me too...” I put my face in my palms, grumbling about “bastard prankster wolves who like to lick me in my sleep, or drool on me from the ceiling just to fuck with my head” under my breath.

They chuckle, before Tamamo pulls me into the seat behind her pilot seat. “He's not that bad, Shirou. Just a bit like his father, who was an even worse prankster. He wants to help you smile more, that's all.”

I stare at her, thinking over what she just said, then sigh. “I knew it. I just knew he was doing it on purpose. Any tips on pranking him back?”

She laughs, as the hatch closes.

“45 minutes to your capital city, Shirou. Go ahead and rest up, the flying's perfect for it tonight.”

I nod at her, then settle back to nap.

It isn't long before I'm dreaming of the past. Of the days after the Cataclysm, my grieving over Semiramis being absorbed by that... thing that Caster had made. Of the nuclear warfare against the golem, as it rampaged and slaughtered endless numbers of humans. Desperately trying to link to the Greater Grail, teaming up with Jeanne to try and get it shut down, or at least not helping that thing.

Of the moment of my Apotheosis. My ascension to Godhood, boosted by the Greater Grail struggling to ensure we'd have a chance. Granting me a wish, out of desperation, to be strong enough to save humanity, if nothing else.

And, for a moment afterwards... I fought it, our Great Enemy, before I was ripped to The Other Side of the World, where almost all other Gods existed at.

That hurt, I remember. It took me weeks to recover from the fight, and from being displaced. But I did recover. It was a matter of weeks, before the Wolfen was flung into The Other Side of the World, as well, and crashed in Romania. Erik had fought, sacrificing something he called the “Gem of Power” to bring himself back to his full godly might, and struggled for an hour to kill that Golem monstrosity, before failing. And in failing, he was drastically weakened.

We teamed up, then. Myself, him, Tamamo, Fenris, and Scylla. We fought through army after army of beings and beasts, to save the people that had wound up there with the Wolfen... and eventually succeeded in getting them back up to becoming Gods.

However, their abilities had changed. Become less consistent. Some days working properly, other days barely working.

After they became full Gods once more, we worked to help out the humans with us. Building video game consoles, making movies, producing plays, much like Erik had done for his Mars Colonization project, as I learned later.

I fell in love with the first Dark Souls game, back then. And when Rhongomyniad was destroyed, and both halves of the World became one, once more, the Gods free to mingle with Mortals once more... I gathered the faithful of the Catholic Church, found Jeanne, and built my army.

I was stupid enough to introduce them to Dark Souls, and ask them for ideas on how to mimic some of it, too, I regret. Though, Erik was rather helpful in forging the machine producing Estus Flasks out of some sword he'd found.

Then, we split apart. Myself to produce the shock troops of humanity, to work and produce occasional Demigods and possible Servants. At the same time, Erik worked to produce the technology we'd need, as well as both Demigods and Gods.

It worked spectacularly, at first. The Estus flasks have become a staple of adventurers for my people. Nigh-legendary tools, allowing them to slay dragons, to grow legendary in deeds enough to become potent. And then the bastard Frostspawn appeared.

At first, it was one, or two, or ten at a time. But over the centuries, and millenia, their incursions have grown stronger, and greater. In more and more numbers, as Erik and Tamamo's children are tricked into following the Great Enemy.

And with the numbers assaulting humanity constantly, too many get in. Wreck libraries, museums, arcades. Any place that seems to have joy, or interest, or work put into it, they target. They don't just want humanity dead. They want humanity to be slaves, at best. Without any hope, or reason to live. And at worst... cattle for the Frostspawn to eat.

Too many people have forgotten that Dark Souls was a game to play and enjoy. Now they wonder if it was history, so much has been lost to them.

But with how the Frostspawn have attacked... they've not just been destroying culture. They've been stealing it. Working to use it against us. Too many game consoles, too many televisions, too many computers disappeared during those incidents, for it to all be just destroyed.

They're learning and growing. They're getting smarter and smarter, with the Demigods, Erik's descendants, all creating the Frostspawn in massive numbers.

“Shirou?”

I pause, then snap my eyes open, before focusing on the cockpit.

“What's going on, Tamamo?”

She glances back at me, then nods towards my capitol. “The guard's awfully light tonight. Any ideas if something's wrong?”

I narrow my eyes, studying the positions. It does seem lighter, but... Jeanne's at her post. No sign of anything going on with her flag. Could there be anything wrong?

“How long until the jet fighters get here, Tamamo?”

“Approximately 40 minutes. We outpaced them quite a bit with this new ship design.”

I nod, casually using the headpiece to magnify my sight.

“Most seem like they're in the castle proper. I can see a lot of torches in there. I suspect it's for Semiramis. It's rather bright in there, too.”

I can sense Tamamo nodding, before pulling us to do a fly by. Nothing looks wrong, except that they've painted the walls a brighter color. Again.

Why can't my priests make up their minds if they want dark walls, or light walls? Ugh.

“Yeah, it looks safe, Tamamo. Just keep an eye on my health and armor's reports, okay?”

“No problem, Shirou. I'll drop you off at Jeanne, then.”

“Thanks. This has been quite the treat, this ship.”

“Don't I know it?”

In a few minutes, we land, much to Jeanne's surprise. I pull myself out, then sigh. “Jeanne. It's been a while, sorry.”

She nods at me, then sighs as well. “Better long, than dead, though. Second shift hasn't reported in yet, so I suspect Artorias has ordered them to guard Semiramis. Smough, on the other hand, has come to reinforce the gates personally. No sign of the others yet, but I'm sure they'll show up soon.”

I nod, then sigh. “Tamamo, could you provide over watch until second shift gets out, or third shift does, along with those fighters when they show up?”

“No problem. I'll get started on that.” I watch her toss a communication unit out to Jeanne. “Just slide it into your earpiece, and you'll be good, Jeanne.

“If you'll excuse me then, I have a guest to meet. Thank you for keeping watch, Jeanne.”

I nod to them, then walk.

It's not a long walk, reaching the palace. My footsteps echo through the streets, but I can hear the crowds acting normally for just after sunset. Quiet, but children going to bed, being hushed by their parents. It makes me smile, hearing that.

Soon, I see the door, and two guards. It's only been a few minutes time from the ship. “Report!”

“Sir! Second shift hasn't arrived yet, but word reached us that they will be busy for another hour in ensuring Lady Semiramis is safe to be around, and that there are no more attempts on her. Apparently she had a rough trip to get here.”

I breathe out, then nod. “Get third shift woken up, and to back up Lady Jeanne on the walls. We're understaffed over there, and half the shift's ready to pass out soon.”

“Yes sir!”

I watch them run off to follow my orders, then sigh and head in. The serving staff isn't out right now... I glance at the time on my headset, then sigh. It's after midnight. Of course they're asleep.

I move, following the normal corridors. They're a little brighter than usual, and it's slightly irritating for me. But everything seems normal.

Clunk.
    Hmm? Oh, damn it. I went over that piece of hallway that's always slightly different for the sound it makes. Though, I could have sworn that was further up ahead?

...No, it seems like it moved to there. Hmm. They must have rearranged the stones to get rid of the sound, only to re-use the stone. Again. Note to self, get Erik to check over the stones. It could have to do with more attempts at hidden passageways, again.

Wait. The time? I could have sworn it was just after sunset, though. Wasn't parents hushing their children outside? Hmm. Probably nothing. Or maybe I spent a lot of time checking for that stone?

I continue walking forwards, thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XyOkrYcvco (Ambition ~ Fate/Apocrypha OST)

Probably not important. I sigh, then rub my forehead, before walking to the guest chambers, where I'm sure she'll be at.

She is. She's in front of me again, several soldiers in the room with her.

“This woman who has no interest in virtue and generosity, who enjoys the destruction and despair of others, has come before you once again, Amakusa Shirou Tokisada.” She smiles, a smile with a hint of malice in it.

“It's been a very long time since I last saw you, Lady Semiramis. Would you prefer to talk in private?”

She smiles, and nods, before I turn to the soldiers. “Go ahead and go, get yourselves to your proper shifts. I'll talk with her personally.”

I breathe out, as they leave. It sounds slightly off...?

Hmm. Probably nothing. I study her, in more detail. “Where would you like to go, Semiramis?”

She smiles more. “Perhaps your own quarters, Shirou? And... would you mind shifting male for me? I would rather see the face of you as a man, not as a woman.”

“When we're there, I will, Semiramis. This armor is remarkably effective, and we've had assassins in the past, before.”

I focus, motioning for her to follow me. It's only a few minutes walk, before we get there.

...The guards are gone. Hm. I'll have to punish them for lazing about.

Still, it feels like it's supposed to be important somehow, that they're not here. I'll mention it to Erik, later.

I settle down in a chair, studying her. She smiles at me, and nods, so I go ahead and shift. The shift takes time, painfully so. But when I open my eyes, and look at her... she's pinned me down, a knife to my neck.

She's smiling at me, a bit sadly, as her form wavers, and shifts, from Semiramis' own form, to that of a blue haired kitsune.

“This has Hydra venom on it. One touch, and you die.”

I glance down, then back up at her. “Was she even here?”

She smiles a bit. “I am Sakura Ulricsonr Frostdóttir. And, using her as a catalyst, just like you used the Greater Holy Grail as a catalyst, I have become a Goddess. Of poison, and treachery.”

I narrow my eyes. “Was she even here? Summoned again?”

“You act like you hold the only keys to summon, Servant Ruler turned God.”

I flinch at her words, slightly, as she adjusts herself.

One touch of that, and I'm dead.

“What did you do?”

“I used her spiritual core as my catalyst after I summoned her for the newest Holy Grail War that our Great Leader has instigated. In essence, she and I are now one and the same being.”

I pause, going horribly, terribly pale.

“You've been...”

“Did you think you had the monopoly on servants, you and my parents? Let me tell you, you were horribly, terribly wrong. She wished to see you again, and I'm how her wish is granted. Not as a Demi-Servant. Not as a Pseudo Servant. Not as a Servant at all, but as an Aspect of a Goddess.”

She smiles, darkly at me.

“You've lost, Shirou. Let me explain how things are going to happen. My siblings and I have already conquered your little castle here. Most of your town. We've used illusions to ensure no one would notice. But... BUT!”

She pauses, studying me, then pulls me close and kisses me.

“But Semiramis liked you. So I'm willing to give you a chance, Shirou. One Goddess to a God.”

I study her, my eyes narrowed.

“What sort of chance?”

She smiles at me, calmly, even as her face shifts, morphing to look like Semiramis' again. “Give up on the humans. Join our side, serving the Great Leader. Work with us to make a better future for us all. Humanity will come back eventually, I'm sure. But without your help, Erik will stop fighting, and we'll be one happy family again. With you happily married to me, and the part of me that is Semiramis. You won't be lonely anymore, or stuck female to counteract your Fate that my siblings worked so hard to become fact for you.”

She smiles, softly. A smile that could make any man fall for her, just looking at her. “Give up on humanity, give up on being their God, and be happy instead. We'll spare a few for you, even, if you'd like. Those that join us once you join us, at least.”

She pushes me against a wall, then kisses me again.

“Won't it be better? Just you and me, together? You'll have me. You'll have us both. You'll get to keep those truly loyal to you. That's all you need, isn't it?”

I close my eyes, trying to think, then shiver as she kisses me more. “Will you give me time to think?”

I can feel her smirk, as she kisses me, before she pulls back. “You have today, Shirou. Of course, today involves me keeping close to you, my knife to your neck, ready to kill you if you say no, but you still have today.”

“Why today?” I breathe out.

“Would you rather have less time? Something will happen, I'll admit, but that isn't until later. After all, your capitol, Anor Londo, has almost already fallen from the inside out.”

I open my eyes, then glance at my headset, looking at Tamamo's horrified face on the screen. She's able to hear everything her daughter has said, I think.

“Oh, don't mind mother. I knew she'd put a bit of spyware in that little headset of yours. She has a different gift waiting for her if she lands. A nice little family reunion. Of all her descendants. All wanting to see Mommy again, and hug her, and kiss her, and welcome her to working with our Great Leader!”

The grin on her face scares me. The look of horror on Tamamo's scares me worse.

“After all, Mommy and Daddy couldn't stand to actually kill any of us, could they? No, no. Not really. They just killed our Frostspawn, that we made because they were fighting us.”

Her smile grows more malevolent.

“Just as planned. Just as anticipated. Just as we worked out, alongside our Great Leader.”

“Mommy and Daddy won't be able to kill us. Nor will they be able to kill our kids. And Grand kids. And Great Grand kids. And so on and so forth, for ALL the generations of children we've had.”

She smirks, as she looks me in the eye.

“And thus, you've lost. Because you were too stupid to slaughter us all like you should have. Or perhaps it's because Mommy and Daddy couldn't stand the idea of watching us die?”

I breathe out, as I think, even as she has me pinned to the wall. Nearly nothing I have can save me. I don't have any talent for that Rainbow Bridge bullshit, and the emergency fail safe device I have in my armor will pull her with me.

I only have one skill that might be able to save myself, and that would likely kill everyone here in my castle.

“Is anyone still alive in the castle? Or was that all illusions?”

I look at her, as she smiles widely. “Oh? They're all dead, of course. You stumbling over one of the corpses, and thinking it was a secret passage was rather hilarious for me. Just like you hearing my siblings shush themselves, and thinking it was your villagers shushing their children goodnight. Just like you thought your soldiers were leaving the room, instead of their bodies collapsing, my illusions hiding them from you.”

She smiles, then gently kisses me again. “Won't you join me? Think about it. You get me, and you get Semiramis, all in one. Complete. Package.”

I breathe out, just studying her, as her features shift, slowly settling on a merge between Semiramis's face, and her own.

“How did you do it? How did you attain Apotheosis like this?” She smiles at my question, then adjusts us, moving us to the bed while looking at me. I don't resist. I can't figure out how to fight her right now, so I may as well hear as much as I can, while looking for either a way out, or a way to survive this.

“I took the idea from you. You who, as a Servant, attained incarnation. So did she, when she won the last Holy Grail we set off, as my Servant. And once she was done, I reached in with Kitsune Possession, possessed her, then started to merge my very self, my soul, with her own. It's cut her off from the Throne of Heroes, but that's because instead of her being linked to it, now she's linked to me.” She smiles more, studying me.

“Are you afraid she's not in here? Trust me, she loves you dearly. Not as a man who admires her beauty, but as a man who saw her for her value and skills. Did you know that she never once had a man want her for her ability, before you?” She tilts her head, smiling at me.

“No. I'll admit, I didn't know that.”

Her smile widens. “And that's why she fell in love with you when you summoned her.”

I breathe out. Fuck. She's in there, isn't she? Semiramis. She's in there, looking at me, smiling with her, not caring that... this goes against everything I consider to be proper.

“She's in there, watching.”

She smiles, and nods. “In a sense. In a much broader sense, we both are one now. She feels what I feel, and I feel what she feels. And we both are stronger for it. Better. But she agreed with me, you know? Humanity won't survive at this rate. You've made your miracle, and you've managed to keep humanity going for 2000 years, Shirou. Just like you promised her you would, if not in the way you'd hoped when you summoned her.”

She studies me, intently, as her smile fades. “But they're running out of resources. Space. Time. More and more die, either to the increasing numbers of Frostspawn, or to your methods of bringing them up to the levels of heroes that can survive the Frostspawn. In terms of skill, your warriors have done far beyond anything else. But you're running out of heroes. You're running low on fire. You're running short on everything. It's a won war, Shirou. For all that you've done, for all that you've fought, we've won. We have spies in every capital city you have, barring father's city. We have your food supplies ready to be cut off entirely, for you and for Yharnham. We have nearly every bit of technology ready to counter, barring that Hunter's Dream simulation. But why would we cut our siblings off from the power to match us? We want them to come and join us, as powerful Gods and Demigods, you know?”

She tilts her head, studying me, before continuing. “Your Ashen are set up to fall to my people. Your normal troops have been cut off, and are ready to die. We're not going to let any survive that will fight us, but if you surrender now, we'll spare them for you, as many as are willing to surrender with you. Is that enough for you to be willing to serve him, and join me? Join myself and the part of me that very much wishes to have you be her husband, Semiramis? Would that be a bargain worth doing, Shirou?”

I close my eyes, then look up at the headpiece, at Tamamo. She's crying, silently, and shaking. I can see her mouth constantly whispering “Fuck”, even though I can't hear her.

I look at her daughter, Sakura Ulricsonr Frostdóttir. I study the woman who's fused with Semiramis.

She smiles back at me, softly. “You're tired, aren't you? Of fighting so damned long, for people that barely appreciate you. For people that would sacrifice you, at the rate their memories are going. Of not having a warm person to wake up with. Of not having a wife. Of not having a family.”

I breathe out. “I'll admit. I am.”

She studies me, smiling. “Won't you take the bargain, Amakusa Shirou Tokisada?”

I close my eyes, and just... settle back to think things over.

Author's Notes:

If this were Scion, Shirou would be a badass amongst badasses, capable of insane feats. Unfortunately for Shirou, since he's not the same type of God as Erik or Tamamo originally were, he's unable to do everything they do. Thus his abilities are similar, but different from Scion. In his case, he's stuck emulating their abilities, rather than developing his own. This does limit him a bit, even if he's become a powerhouse himself. He's very much still learning how to be a God, instead of a mortal, and his abiltiies limit him until he learns how to work with them instead of against them.

The next issue, is that he only really has Amaterasu, Erik, Tamamo and Scylla to guide him to be a decent God, aside from Scripture. Let's face it. The God of the Abrahamic bible, until the New Testament, tended to be a dick. Most gods are dicks, in fact. They all have massive issues. Even the characters here.

For Shirou, it's him focusing on humanity, to save them, above all other things. It's why humanity flocks to him so much, here. They know that he wants them to be warm, to have safe cooking and eating. They know he wants to save as many as possible, even against the odds getting worse and worse year by year.

In Erik's case? He tends to think of technology as being the better route to fighting, because he's a somewhat easily hurt God, and the metal is a nice defense to keep between him and attacks. With his machines, he can SEE the damage, almost like an HP pool. With himself, on the other hand, not so much.

Tamamo is a flat out example of the Glass Cannon trope, where she can dodge REALLY stupidly well, but if she's hit, she's likely dead. “Why would I want big muscles and thick skin?! I wouldn't be pretty then!” is her direct words on this subject.

Finally, the Scylla is still, effectively, a brain in a jar. Without Erik backing the Scylla up with machines, the Scylla can't do anything. It doesn't work out well for the poor gender ambiguous thing.

As for the second and far BIGGER half of this chapter, we come upon the reason why Titanspawn are so scary in Scion.

They are, by far, insanely good at manipulating people. Erik may be Charismatic enough to talk the Fenris Wolf out of eating his pantheon, but why bother with it alone, when you can have a high appearance, and manipulation stat as well?

Shirou is, very much here, fighting for his values. Fighting for his dream. But not with blows, but with words. As a God of fire, he doesn't have the ability to speak eloquently right now. Or even retort. After all. She's not WRONG yet. She knows it, and he knows it. If he falls, his nations fall, then Erik's won't survive much longer. If he joins her, then Erik will be on his own.

Some might be fighters, but those that are capable of manipulation on this scale? It's terrifying, and she's MEANT to be terrifying.

Finally, here's a question for you all. Do you WANT Shirou to join Sakura/Semiramis and see what it's really like on the opposite side? Or do you want him to try to fight things out?
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; April 29th, 2019 at 10:20 PM.

Okay, so assuming the "Great Leader" is some variety of Titan, I'm not sure I follow their reasoning. Usually I hear Titans want revenge on the gods, or weird metaphysical stuff to do with their aspect (cover the entire planet in ice, and so on). The former seems like it shouldn't necessarily apply in the Fate universe, because none of that Tartarus-sealing stuff happened, and neither seems like a very effective way to convince ethical godlings to join your side, as far as inspiration goes. I guess you only need one bad apple with Epic Appearance/Manipulation/Charisma, then you can get bonuses for familial loyalty. Assuming you can turn one of those with an appropriately capable Titanspawn, you're in good shape. You can then make convincing arguments that Erik's paranoia is blinding him to negotiation and so on, that the entire Hunter's Dream thing is a moral nightmare, and so on.

But the entire "we've been attacking humanity for millennia with Frostspawn" just doesn't make sense if you have a reasonable negotiable position, unless Erik is completely impossible to reason with and you need to prevent him from building up enough forces to actually remove your side. Which isn't out of the question (actually seems probable), but that definitely means he isn't necessarily in the right.

It sounds like the pitch for godlings is "let's make a better world, especially for gods, this may involve breaking some eggs" or something like that, which definitely appeals to the undoubted superiority complex of many gods, regardless of parenting, and also to the sense of "the big picture". Given enough detail, this is sufficiently convincing. But it seems like they're committing atrocities either for convenience, or because Erik is impossible to negotiate with, unless there's some metaphysical property of having many humans around that is problematic... which is Alaya in the Fate universe, I suppose. Ohhhhh. Yes, I can see why that could be a problem.

Right, so their leader is probably some aspect of Gaia (Archetype Earth, for example), and for planet-preserving purposes, humanity needs to go. That still seems like a compromise could be negotiated if you could get Erik to evacuate everyone off-planet, but that would take a long time (also the logistics would be hell, given I hear there are literally millions of humans still?). Still, they've had thousands of years that they've spent on conflict instead. Also, you probably can't trust Erik to not come sailing back in and blow the place to hell the instant he thinks he can reclaim it. That last one is probably bad enough that you have to subdue him, which then kinda justifies the rest. That... still kinda makes him the problem.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the enemy doesn't care about possible compromises, expects to win, doesn't value the goals of Erik/Shirou in the slightest, and has decided that the concessions of such negotiation (and extremely great risks of later reneging by Erik/Shirou) are greater than the effort required for total victory. That does match the expected profile for Titans and so on, and given the above arguments, allows them enough wiggle room for being convincing to godlings. After that, they can use similarly convincing arguments to avoid tipping their hand to Erik.

Personally, now that some sort of dialogue has been opened, I'd like to see some effort by Shirou to ask about those points, why evacuating humanity is/was not an option, why seemingly no effort was made to negotiate, and so on. Erik estimates it can be done in 1000 years from 1500 AC, so that is still a long time, but he's kind of hindered by the constant conflict. Also, I notice the Enemy is running Holy Grail Wars. If Erik has any demands, and/or they need to geas him for contract, couldn't they use one of those to enforce it? Sure, the Grail isn't omnipotent, but enforcing a willingly accepted contract, even on a God, and speed-constructing a giant space fleet should be within its parameters.

Anyways, assuming that no, all humans except for like 20 must die, and so on, I think Shirou... would fight. He has a tendency to take responsibility for everything that comes about directly or indirectly as the result of his actions, and is very sunk-cost-fallacy. After spending millennia shepherding humanity, he's not throwing that away. Also, that's probably the form of his legend, unless it's been sufficiently manipulated by the other gods (noting the "to counteract your Fate that my siblings worked so hard to become fact for you"). On the other hand, having him flip would give a lot of currently obscured setting information that would be interesting.

EDIT: Also, sufficiently competent enemy infiltration definitely allows for messing with even the most well-planned religion, particularly over thousands of years. If Shirou hasn't been very carefully watching rumors (and he likely hasn't, given he's been withdrawn), it's quite possible Fate is going to coerce him in either direction based on what his people believe about him. Spreading enough "is lonely, has fated love with Semiramis" belief could have an effect (though I expect in Scion rules, unless those effects scale significantly as your legend increases, even incredibly strong fatebonds don't have nearly as much effect as high-level Epic Charisma and so on)
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; April 30th, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so assuming the "Great Leader" is some variety of Titan, I'm not sure I follow their reasoning. Usually I hear Titans want revenge on the gods, or weird metaphysical stuff to do with their aspect (cover the entire planet in ice, and so on). The former seems like it shouldn't necessarily apply in the Fate universe, because none of that Tartarus-sealing stuff happened, and neither seems like a very effective way to convince ethical godlings to join your side, as far as inspiration goes. I guess you only need one bad apple with Epic Appearance/Manipulation/Charisma, then you can get bonuses for familial loyalty. Assuming you can turn one of those with an appropriately capable Titanspawn, you're in good shape. You can then make convincing arguments that Erik's paranoia is blinding him to negotiation and so on, that the entire Hunter's Dream thing is a moral nightmare, and so on.

But the entire "we've been attacking humanity for millennia with Frostspawn" just doesn't make sense if you have a reasonable negotiable position, unless Erik is completely impossible to reason with and you need to prevent him from building up enough forces to actually remove your side. Which isn't out of the question (actually seems probable), but that definitely means he isn't necessarily in the right.

It sounds like the pitch for godlings is "let's make a better world, especially for gods, this may involve breaking some eggs" or something like that, which definitely appeals to the undoubted superiority complex of many gods, regardless of parenting, and also to the sense of "the big picture". Given enough detail, this is sufficiently convincing. But it seems like they're committing atrocities either for convenience, or because Erik is impossible to negotiate with, unless there's some metaphysical property of having many humans around that is problematic... which is Alaya in the Fate universe, I suppose. Ohhhhh. Yes, I can see why that could be a problem.

Right, so their leader is probably some aspect of Gaia (Archetype Earth, for example), and for planet-preserving purposes, humanity needs to go. That still seems like a compromise could be negotiated if you could get Erik to evacuate everyone off-planet, but that would take a long time (also the logistics would be hell, given I hear there are literally millions of humans still?). Still, they've had thousands of years that they've spent on conflict instead. Also, you probably can't trust Erik to not come sailing back in and blow the place to hell the instant he thinks he can reclaim it. That last one is probably bad enough that you have to subdue him, which then kinda justifies the rest. That... still kinda makes him the problem.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the enemy doesn't care about possible compromises, expects to win, doesn't value the goals of Erik/Shirou in the slightest, and has decided that the concessions of such negotiation (and extremely great risks of later reneging by Erik/Shirou) are greater than the effort required for total victory. That does match the expected profile for Titans and so on, and given the above arguments, allows them enough wiggle room for being convincing to godlings. After that, they can use similarly convincing arguments to avoid tipping their hand to Erik.

Personally, now that some sort of dialogue has been opened, I'd like to see some effort by Shirou to ask about those points, why evacuating humanity is/was not an option, why seemingly no effort was made to negotiate, and so on. Erik estimates it can be done in 1000 years from 1500 AC, so that is still a long time, but he's kind of hindered by the constant conflict. Also, I notice the Enemy is running Holy Grail Wars. If Erik has any demands, and/or they need to geas him for contract, couldn't they use one of those to enforce it? Sure, the Grail isn't omnipotent, but enforcing a willingly accepted contract, even on a God, and speed-constructing a giant space fleet should be within its parameters.

Anyways, assuming that no, all humans except for like 20 must die, and so on, I think Shirou... would fight. He has a tendency to take responsibility for everything that comes about directly or indirectly as the result of his actions, and is very sunk-cost-fallacy. After spending millennia shepherding humanity, he's not throwing that away. Also, that's probably the form of his legend, unless it's been sufficiently manipulated by the other gods (noting the "to counteract your Fate that my siblings worked so hard to become fact for you"). On the other hand, having him flip would give a lot of currently obscured setting information that would be interesting.

EDIT: Also, sufficiently competent enemy infiltration definitely allows for messing with even the most well-planned religion, particularly over thousands of years. If Shirou hasn't been very carefully watching rumors (and he likely hasn't, given he's been withdrawn), it's quite possible Fate is going to coerce him in either direction based on what his people believe about him. Spreading enough "is lonely, has fated love with Semiramis" belief could have an effect (though I expect in Scion rules, unless those effects scale significantly as your legend increases, even incredibly strong fatebonds don't have nearly as much effect as high-level Epic Charisma and so on)

First off, I'll give a couple of hints, towards what's going on here.

1. No one knows who, or what, the Great Enemy is, except it's a result of Ymir's strongest remaining artifact fusing with Avicebron's completed Golem, in the original timeline. It might be Avicebron having taken control, it might be Justeaze Eizenbern, having taken control through the Greater Holy Grail, but corrupted by the Heart of Winter. No one knows. It could have eaten Arcueid or Archtype Earth, or it may have not. No one knows. Not the turned demigods, not Shirou, no one but the being in question. Well, except for Kieran and myself. There's reasons why I'm keeping it ambiguous, and you'll find out in the very last scene for the interlude sections. It has wide reaching explanations for why a lot of the plot in the main story has happened, the way it has in the story alltogether.

I will hint, however, that the Titans considered it a way to recreate the Greater Frost Titan, without an avatar, though. Who was, originally, a being known as Ymir. In the prologue, they were more than willing to offer Erik Ymir's job, if he was willing to join up. At the price of Dark Virtues, and never being able to fully love his family ever again. Or Fenris.

2. Titans dislike humanity as a whole. Something created by the Titans would also dislike humanity as a whole. Avicebron also saw humanity as a whole, as a race that shouldn't exist. That sort of adds up here.

More specifically, Titans don't get power from human worship, like the Gods do. So rather than seeing humanity as valuable workers, they see them more as valuable SLAVES. A meal and a show, all in one, if you will, for the bulk of them.

Part of this is that when someone switches sides, from a God, to a Titan... well, let me go into specifics, here. Most Gods work as follows. They have four core virtues, as Gods, Demigods, even the Scions, those with barely any awakened Ichor in their blood. These virtues, show that they're good people. In the case of the Norse Gods, they tend to be, as a whole, Courage, Endurance, Expression, and Loyalty. One of these or more is also switched over for Dark Virtues. Ambition, the willingness to ignore family/friends for power. Malice, the opposite of Compassion. Rapacity, self gratification in all things, be it hunger, sex, slaughter, or something else. Or Zealotry. The willingness to do whatever the Titans want, no matter what.

Most of them that have been turned, have realized "Outside of family, why does compassion matter? It's not like they're that useful for us anyways. We grow stronger with our Great Leader, than with our mortal followers. Do we even need them?", and continue on with life not realizing that they've been tainted.

Most creations of theirs known to you as the Frostspawn, have all four types. They rape, they slaughter, they care nothing for their siblings except as meals or free sex. They follow the Titan's will no matter what it will result in, without hesitation. And they seek only power, see only power, want only power. In whatever ways they can claim.

3. Alaya is a threat, but one of those "Irritating gnats that keep bothering them" scale, for now. Shirou's efforts have been constantly upping the threat. Alaya's been pretty much going "A constant source of new heroes to help me fight back against them?! YES PLEASE, AND MORE!"

4. Shirou can ask about these points, if you'd like, as a small update. Don't be surprised if Sakura/Semiramis won't answer everything, however. Like what the rest of her family that's swapped sides is up to. She'll give hints, but nothing more than hints, unless he swaps sides.

5. Erik's own estimates never anticipated the Greater Grail would still be active and functional, alongside the Heart of Winter. He thought it was completely destroyed and absorbed. However, demands are for equal powers, aren't they? To their Great Enemy, IS Shirou, Erik, Tamamo, Fenris, and the Scylla a threat? Or just something to be worked around while remaking the planet in their own image of what it should be? Do they see them as a threat, or just a nuisance to be dealt with in time?

6. You would see more obscured information, that's definitely for sure. It won't affect the ending much, but instead of an awesome fight scene between Gods, with good music, you'd get to see the workings behind this. Basically, do you want to see how Gods FIGHT, or do you want to see politics, and PLOT? Small explinations that may or may not help you understand what's going on behind the scenes?

To be fair, Sakura/Semiramis here HAS promised that any that would follow Shirou to the other side, would be spared. However, how many would follow him, if it meant to follow him for the enemies that have slaughtered their relatives for generations upon generations, long before recorded history? Would Shirou's Ashen follow? Would Jeanne, or Scathach follow?

7. Shirou's fate was meant to be Gwyn's. The Frostspawn, and those that have been turned to this faux Titan's side, have been working to ensure that Shirou is seen less as a God in his own right, and more as a dying flame's successor. Gwyn's successor. They've very much been helping things along, trying to ensure Shirou's fate would be the same as Gwyn's, and his survival was not in their plans. Erik and Tamamo forcing him female threw a giant monkey wrench in their plans for the last 500 years.

8. Yeah, that whole fatebond bit IS accurate, too, isn't it? He's lonely, he doesn't have a wife like Gwyn did, or any children. 2,000 years like that is going to affect anyone, and they've known it the entire time. Add in Epic Charisma, and you've got an interesting scenario here, as well as it being a Goddess who came out of nowhere, with Semiramis' Spiritual Core as the core of her Apotheosis. It's why I'm leaving the option up to you all, for which route you'd rather see.

Plus, Semiramis is the only real woman he's been close to, from everything I can find, since he was incarnated. The only one he could really trust. They've been planning this for a LONG time. They've arranged it so that if they want to ever see victory, Erik and Tamamo will have to slaughter all their descendants on the side of their Great Enemy. They arranged for Semiramis to be summoned, with holy grail after holy grail, because she's the one chink in Shirou's armor that they know of.

*Chuckles* Last but not least, I've worked a LOT on the world building for these interludes, as you might be able to tell, and notice with some of the nods in this last interlude. Little things like Estus flasks, being made from a Machine forged from Nero's sword, as an example. Aestus Estus, to be exact(It has Estus in the name, twice even!). And the plot twist, with them being able to replicate Shirou's own Apotheosis in a way? I thought it might come across as a surprise for you all.

After this, I'll leave you all to discuss, and choose what you want to see. Would you rather see Shirou join the Titan side of things, stay on Erik's side and fight, or ask questions and open dialogue?
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; April 30th, 2019 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Called the prologue an interlude. Doh!

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chapter 16 – Alliance and Analysis

DISCLAIMER: Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of Kinoko Nasu and TYPE-MOON, along with whomever they’ve happened to license them to, such as Geneon, Funimation, A-1 Pictures and Netflix.

This is a not-for-profit, just-for-fun project.

Sighișoara, Romania
    July 1, 2004

What the hell kind of magus, Frid wondered furiously, uses cloaked micro-drones, of all things?

The simplest answer, of course, was that he would, given the opportunity to do so; the benefits of having dragonfly-sized, invisible camera drones available to do reconnaissance in this kind of conflict was almost impossible to overstate. After all, information was ammunition, to quote the old Battletech cartoon.

And really, almost any magus would use them, if they understood how to; they were a viciously pragmatic lot, if nothing else. But as a group, they were notoriously inept, if not outright uninformed, when it came to technology—there were very few magi who would be aware of such devices, much less how to operate them.

Kiritsugu Emiya, the Magus Killer, pretty much topped the list. In truth, he almost was the list, but Frid expected Waver Velvet or Bazett Fraga McRemitz could and/or would, as well.

. . . Of course, if one relied on magical solutions, the pool of suspects opened up considerably.

Most familiars, after all, were used for spying; Semiramis, Shirou Kotomine’s Assassin of Red, had doves, supposedly—though really, from what he remembered of the Apocrypha anime, Frid thought they looked more like pigeons, and cyborg pigeons, at that. Still, they were one possible source, if far too large. And Zouken Matou’s Crest Worms were about the right size for the swarm they were seeing, even if it would take no small amount of work to breed a flying variant; to say nothing of the prana expenditure of cloaking so many of them in invisibility spells . . .

Really, based on that, it made far more sense to work magecraft on existing high-tech drones—which, as previously noted, most magi wouldn’t consider doing, if only because they weren’t aware of the possibility. The problem with that explanation, however, was that those drones were too high-tech. He hadn’t even recognised the acronym that XX had used, though he’d let Rin’s confusion over the term stand as the excuse for explaining it—and so far as Frid was aware, drones less than six inches long were still theoretical, with working models confined solely to the realms of popular fiction. Magecraft might explain the difference, but that just circled around to the same issues, again.

Of course, Frid mused, it could always be the Servant’s doing . . . But in his experience, Servants did technology even less well than magi. In their defence, it made more sense for them, given that most of them had died centuries or even millennia ago—and there were a few outliers, such as the Archer Rin was currently paired with, the Foreigner he himself was anchoring, and another, even more bullshit Archer who somehow had a functioning spaceship from six thousand years ago . . .

No,
    Frid told himself. Even in the privacy of his own mind, he was not getting sucked into the migraine-inducing stupidity that was Gilgamesh—if there was any bright side to this particular War, it was that the literally gold-plated asshole who was way too overblown by fans and TYPE-MOON scenario writers alike was nowhere to be found in it.

. . . In any case, those few Servants he knew about who were “high-tech” or “anachronistically-tech-powered” had a certain aesthetic to their toys; elements of design that were meant to imply that ancient (or at least, out of date) technology had been used in their creation. Frankenstein was actually a good example of this: her mechanical implants had certain steampunk touches to them. However, the drones definitely did not—from what XX had been able to show them, they seemed very much of a 21st-century design, if not actually possible by the standards of the day.

That armour of hers was something, no question about it. Frid had needed to cheat: his Mystic Eyes had let him make out the individual shapes in that cloud—once again, it fell under “visible to the eye, incomprehensible to the brain”—but her onboard cameras had shown better resolution by far. And a holographic playback function that enabled her to show the rest of them. How much of that was down to the actual design, and how much to her interactions with Chaldea, Frid didn’t know; the latter did use communications system like that, after all . . .

He frowned. And something about the ship that had dropped those drones was nagging at him. It was familiar in a way he couldn’t quite grasp, because he knew he hadn’t seen it before—it was more like, it had been described to him . . .?

Rin’s voice interrupted his thought process, bringing his attention to her.

“You know,” she said in a resigned tone, “until this exact moment, I thought that Shirou had the most aneurysm-inducing luck I’d ever encountered.”

“. . . Finished processing it all, then?” he asked.

“Oh, not even close,” she hissed, glaring at him. “I had enough issues dealing with you somehow being fused with what amounted to a spellcaster from the Age of the Gods, and now you negotiated with a pantheon to be basically reborn as an actual magus, with Mystic Eyes!

“I didn’t negotiate anything, Rin,” Frid said quietly. “They told me that I’d have to sacrifice to get that planar breach closed, and it was very firmly implied that the sacrifice would be everything.” He shrugged. “Given that it would mean an entire planet would be saved from a phenomenon that had already been killing them for the last thousand years, it seemed like a fair trade.”

Rin rubbed her eyes, muttering not (quite) under her breath about stubborn idiots and their martyr complexes.

“Rin, you know perfectly well that I couldn’t have gone home as Kurai,” Frid countered—he didn’t have supernatural hearing anymore, but it was still quite good. “And your world was no better for me, long-term. Spira might’ve been, but it needed help, and if that was the price . . . It was bad enough watching the aftermath of Sin’s attacks on a TV screen, Rin—to see it as real . . .” He shrugged. “I didn’t expect the Seldarine to do what they did—I don’t even know how they did it—but much as with your efforts, I’m neither ungrateful nor inclined to throw it away without a fight.”

Which is not to say that I have any idea what I’m doing, he concluded mentally.

“. . . In any case, back to our mysterious spymaster,” Frid continued, deliberately shifting topics. “It’s either a Master of Black I haven’t heard of, or it’s a Master of Red who doesn’t know about Kotomine—because if they did, there would be a hell of a lot more than a basic perimeter watch around here.”

“And what are the odds you haven’t heard of a particular Black Master?” Rin asked sharply, her eyes narrowed.

Frid blinked. He didn’t think his engagement was common knowledge even to the local magi, and that meant that Rin shouldn’t know about it at all, but she was looking awfully suspiciously at him—

“You always do know more about what’s going on than anyone really should, after all,” she continued.

A sudden electronic cough caught his attention, and he saw that XX had turned to face the window.

Was that from a misaligned servomotor or something . . .?

As for Frid himself, it was an effort for him to grin rather than look relieved, but he managed, replying cheerfully, “You say the sweetest things, Rin.”

. . . OK, that was definitely a cough, Frid thought, as he snapped around to give XX another look. And absolutely of the sarcastically scoffing variety, which Mysterious Heroine XX doesn’t really do—so why would she . . .?

Realisation struck.

Oh, God—she knows me, doesn’t she? Is that why I got her? Because I have—or will have—dealt with her past self?!

Struggling to come to grips with the idea that he might end up meeting with Mysterious Heroine X in the future, even as he was unable to imagine how or why, Frid mentally shoved all that aside in favour of answering Rin’s initial question.

It was less sanity-destroying, if nothing else.

“The only Master of Black I’m not sure of is Assassin’s,” he said, “and that’s only because I don’t know if Assassin has killed her summoner in favour of the woman she wants as her Master yet. The rest of them, though, are more or less who and how I’d expect them to be—Servants, too.”

Rin sighed. “Well, that’s something of a relief.”

“That said,” Frid added, “I can only assume I know three of the Masters and Servants on the Red side, two pairs of which are in this room . . . I can probably guess at a fourth, because I can’t see a reason for it to have changed—”

“Aside from Zelretch’s whims,” the Japanese magus muttered darkly.

“Aside from that,” he agreed. “But it’s something of an unspoken rule that people who resemble Arturia Pendragon serve as the ‘main character’ in these Wars, and he’s too much like Merlin not to want to keep to that, if only to mess with the Servant in question.”

This time, he pretended not to notice XX’s sudden twitch from where she stood at the window—it wasn’t worth dragging that mess out right now.

“. . . I hate it when you’re right,” Rin sighed. “And you’re right too damned often.

“It’s not that I’m always right, it’s that I’m never wrong when I want to be,” Frid corrected. He grinned before adding, “But while I stand by my description, I acknowledge that yours is also valid.”

The scowl on Rin’s face implied that she was less than amused by the joke, but she said nothing else—probably out of fear of giving him more material to work with. Instead, she seemed to be trying hard to spontaneously generate Mystic Eyes of Flame, so that her glare could incinerate him where he stood.

“In any case,” he continued, “I suppose we ought to try and head into Trifas—to introduce ourselves to our probable teammate, at best, and gather some hard evidence on the state of affairs, at worst.”

She nodded wordlessly, before suddenly acquiring a malefic, almost manic grin.

“. . . Dare I ask?” he said uneasily.

“Your Mystic Eyes, your Servant’s armour, and Archer can all spot those invisible drones with ease,” Rin answered in a self-satisfied tone, “but there’s only one way to travel past their cordon unobtrusively with any speed.

Frid thought hard, but while he could come up with any number of ways to travel, he didn’t quite see what she was getting—

“Ilyasviel?” Rin addressed the empty air. “Make sure you record this—the sight of him getting bridal carried by his Servant will almost be worth the aggravation all this is causing me.”

Ah. Considering that he was about six feet tall, and XX was maybe five-four in her armour—it had a helmet and heels, after all—it would be an undignified-if-hilarious image . . .

Frid shrugged. “If it will make you feel better.”

Rin’s scowl deepened, before she suddenly exploded, “Damn it, would you just be humiliated like a normal person?! I keep telling you, stop being like Shirou—ONE of him is MORE than enough!”

The outskirts of Trifas, Romania
    July 2, 2004

Rin could feel the vein in her forehead throbbing. Her ears were aware of a two-toned rumble emerging from her lips: the sound of her teeth grinding together overlaying the infuriated growl rising from her chest. She was dimly aware that her hands were making sudden, violent (and apparently entirely unconscious) grasping motions, as if seeking someone—anyone—that she could somehow throttle into forcing the world to make sense again . . .

Rin blinked suddenly—hadn’t Frid been standing just next to her a moment ago? For that matter, hadn’t EMIYA?

If nothing else, the brief pause afforded by that abrupt realisation allowed her to get herself under greater control. Turning to find her companions now a pace or two behind her, Rin took a breath, and asked the question she needed answered with the calm, disciplined self-assurance that properly befitted a magus.

“What. The Hell. Was THAT?!

(All right, so maybe she didn’t ask it that way, but there were benefits to saying “to hell with propriety” in this case: the flinch that ran through both men was oh so satisfying . . .)

“A very practical example of the Black Faction’s defences,” offered the robot Servant, “which simultaneously demonstrates the likely failure of any ‘one-man army’ approach, no matter how accustomed to it a particular Servant or magus might be?”

Even with the filtering effect of the speakers, Rin thought she detected a certain level of guilelessness to the tone of voice; whether it was a deliberate affectation or not, she couldn’t say. If the former, then under other circumstances she might have applauded; the boys flinched nearly as badly under that statement as they had at her own outburst. As it was, however, it merely gave her temper a decent target.

Fixing the Servant with her best glare, Rin remarked in an almost conversational tone, “You know, if you’re going to contribute to the discussion, you really ought to do so face to face—unfortunately, I’ve never gotten the hang of modern appliances; so in lieu of an electric can opener, we’ll have to pry you out the hard way . . .”

“. . . Forget I said anything,” mumbled the robot. Please.

Satisfied that she’d managed to inflict some level of the aggravation she was feeling onto the rest of them, Rin turned to the two likely experts in this area; one, because he’d been summoned across multiple Holy Grail Wars, running into all sorts of Servants—and the other, because he was just weird.

“Explanations,” she commanded icily, “from either one, or both of you—now.

“. . . I can’t say that I’ve ever seen anything specifically like it,” Archer admitted, scowling at the personal failing. “I can tell you what it is, and I can even tell you some of its history, but the ‘comprehension’ step . . . Fizzles.

“Meaning . . .?” Rin prompted. She thought she had a fairly good handle on Shirou’s abilities and how they worked; presumably, EMIYA was even more practised and informed about them—so the fact that even he couldn’t make this work was . . . Well, calling it concerning was “such an understatement that it ought to qualify as a criminal offence,” as Frid’s former self used to put it.

And speaking of the man . . .

“It’s not from this universe,” he said, hollowly. “It’s a divine construct: a customised version-slash-recreation of the REX unit from the Metal Gear Solid video game series.”

Rin looked at him. “You know it.” It wasn’t a question.

He shook his head. “I’ve never seen it before, but I had more than enough pictures of the damned thing thrown at me to recognise it—especially when it uses some of those features.” He chuckled, almost wistfully. “I thought I knew how to twist rules and find loopholes, but the bastard drove me crazy with the number of gizmos he built.”

“You know it,” she repeated, pressing the point.

“I do,” Frid acknowledged. “And I know its creator, likely pilot, and can make a pretty reasonable guess as to the likely Servant involved, as well—the only problem is that it’s impossible.

“We deal in the impossible daily,” Rin pointed out. “That pretty much describes ninety percent of anything that deals with you, in fact.”

“Fair,” he admitted. “But in this case, it’s impossible because everything I know about the metaphysics of your world and its variations tells me that Gaia wouldn’t allow him here, period. And that’s just if we’re somehow actually dealing with the genuine entity—if we’re not . . .

Frid sighed, giving her a pained look.

“If we’re not, then there’s a very good chance that one of my few friends in the entire world is dead.

Writer's Notes: Sorry for the delay - had a bad carpal tunnel flareup; twitching fingers and all. Still probably pushing it more than I should, so updates will likely be slower, for a while.

Still, enjoy.
    Last edited by Kieran; May 2nd, 2019 at 08:22 PM.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Uh-oh... wait. Would this friend be the real life version of RanmaBushiko?

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Yeah - it's not like he's unfamiliar with the concept of someone being fused to their RPG character, after all . . .

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Good point. I understand what you mean.

More questions coming ASAP... got classes to go to today.

She was dimly hands were making sudden, violent (and apparently entirely unconscious) grasping motions
    Probably "dimly aware that hands", or "dimly aware that her hands", depending on how dim you want the awareness to be. That entire section feels a bit confusing for being so media res, until you get to Frid. Makes sense that you can't specify much about the exact context, though, since you're not writing that part. It can be reasonably inferred from the previous chapters, I suppose.

Frid's awareness that he is probably encountering an RPG character of one of his friends (who is the co-writer) is SO META

S O M E T A

Blog Entries
    Probably "dimly aware that hands", or "dimly aware that her hands", depending on how dim you want the awareness to be.
    Ack - sorry about that, I must've missed it when I was changing perspectives (it was originally part of Frid's scene, but I thought it was going on too long).

In any case, I fixed it, thanks.

That entire section feels a bit confusing for being so media res, until you get to Frid. Makes sense that you can't specify much about the exact context, though, since you're not writing that part. It can be reasonably inferred from the previous chapters, I suppose.
    That is sort of the idea, yes. But now we're both caught up, and in roughly the same timeframe, so it should be easier to follow going forward.

Frid's awareness that he is probably encountering an RPG character of one of his friends (who is the co-writer) is SO META

S O M E T A
    I know.

. . . Again, we titled this "Anarchy" for good reason.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If anyone's willing to post questions for Shirou and Sakura/Semiramis in the Interludes sidestory, I'll be glad to have a list of questions for him to ask her.

Chapter 17: Of Rest, Recovery and... Confrontations?

July 2nd, 2004.

Erik Wolfson's Bedroom

I'm tired. That's the first thing I realize, when I wake up. I'm tired as hell, and groggy, and it feels like I got punted through several walls last night.

Oh wait. I did. Fuck. What the hell was I thinking, using Frozen Panoply to push myself out without using Landslide to shape HOLES in the damned stone first? Probably drove those damned lances or... no, not lances. Stakes. Had to have been fucking stakes. He's fucking famous for it.

Ugh. Fuck. I was stupid last night. And then he called me out, and I came FUCKING RUNNING, like an idiot Norse God NORMALLY does.

I turn, slowly opening my eyes, then pause at my wife's face right in front of mine. She's not sleeping against me, right now?

She's awake, and smiling. It's not a nice smile. Crap.

"Dear? You're going to sit. You're going to rest. You're not going to do anything strenuous to your body, or tinker with heavy machinery, or build mechs, or anything else like that. Otherwise, I'm going to tie you to the bed and ensure you can't move until you're fully healed. Am I clear?"

I nod at her, then hug her closer.

"Of course, love. Of course."

In the Kitchen

3 hours later

Dear Sapphire!

"Yes, Mistress?"

"I'm writing to my diary you're fused with, aren't I?"

"Oooh, right! Sorry, Mistress!"

"It's okay! Right, now..."

Dear Sapphire! Last night was the most INCREDIBLE fight I've ever seen! Not even those cartoons I've seen once or twice were as incredible! Mr. Erik is like... the biggest, best-est most powerful God ever!

Oh, oh! I also got to talk with Mashy Mash last night, after she got back with Erik! Did you know that she met SANTA?! Well, a girl version of Santa, anyways, that wanted to do his job for him! And only had ONE Reindeer... but even still, Santa! Then she told me about the three others that tried to show that girl that they were better than she was! It sounded amazing!

I told her about me wanting to summon Santa in the first place, then she laughed and hugged me a lot. Apparently I wouldn't have wanted to summon them in the first place, unless I wanted to be the Reindeer for them. Hmph. No good, useless girl Santas should stay in place for the real one, I say! If they can't even get a proper reindeer to pull their Sleighs, but want their Masters to be Reindeer for them instead, what good ARE they?

Which is a pity, honestly. I DID want Santa... but if there's only ladies who pose as Santa, would it really be Santa?

Argh. I don't even know. Hmph.

So, Miss Amaterasu is having a cooking contest with Mrs. Ulfricson, while listening to something called "Tenacious D." about a rock off? And something about Mayonnaise? Isn't that supposed to be tasty? I don't really get it.

Mr. Nestor keeps insisting that it's not music kids should listen to, while Mashy Mash just blushes a lot. I'm not sure I really get it...

Oh well! At least it's supposed to be tasty stuff! Something called... Okonomiyaki?

Sounds really tasty, that's for sure! I'll write more in you later, Sapphire! It's time to eat!

Elsewhere in the ship

At the same time

Scylla Journal Entry, July 2nd, 2004 MK 2

Oh my, oh my, oh my! Things are shaping up to be more and more interesting for me! And the first, and foremost part of this, is all the DATA I'm getting! Ahh, yes. Glorious data. Nestor's happily getting food with the Boss, Olga and Mash are going to enjoy learning to enjoy Tenacious D's "Beelzeboss", and I get to enjoy life while listening to Creature Feature again! Ahh, "Such Horrible Things", how I wish to make you my theme song in life. Except I've never had a real father that I could call as one. Or a sister.

STILL! Where was I? Oh, yes. That's where!

Meanwhile, my programs have taken control of a good two thirds of every government facility on the planet! Oh, it's so GOOD to be me! I note some people trying to call others, and contact them about the Wolfen being sighted, but they've discovered all their pictures mysteriously go missing when they try to send them over email!

Woe is you, you get to look like conspiracy theorists. Mwahaha. And again, I laugh at you! Mwahaha.

To be fair, if you read this Boss, you still have to remember I WAS MADE BY A DEMIGOD TWISTED BY THE TITANS. I need to get enjoyment from SOMEWHERE, you get that, right? I'm a fucking goddamned brain in a jar! If I get my laughs out of people suffering that are our enemies, by all that's holy, YOURSELF INCLUDED, I'm going to ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF IT!

As you well know. So if you want to lecture me on morals, and the like, instead go shove it up your ass. Then twist it horizontally.

Now where was I?

Ah, right. I've successfully suppressed all information through phone call, fax, and internet! It'll still eventually get out, but not for a few years at least.

Now if only I didn't have to get the Legion of Coal to snipe every stupid Mage trying to get information out of the city, to report on the Wolfen, that would be WONDERFUL.

Yeah, you too, asshole. Boom, headshot!

Yeah, your skull got ventilated there. No sneaking information out for you!

Mwahaha.

Let's see now. That song's done. What should I play next? Decisions, decisions... maybe a change of pace? Stratovarius? Or Blind Guardian? Hmm.

Stratovarius it is! Thank you, my coin flipper technology!

Let's see now, load up a playlist, put it on random... Black Diamond? Works.

Now, what else do I have to do for today. Monitor the fuckers in that Yggdmillenia castle? Check. Give the Boss an update on shit, so he doesn't fret, especially how the Heart of Winter is getting sealed off mystically? Check.

Figure out where a good place is to park the Wolfen... hmm. Why not that lake over there? We could sink to the bottom, it's nearby that Yggdmillenia place, and it would let us build an underwater base.

I'd say that'll be a good place for ensuring we can launch a ground attack.

Anyways, Boss would send us to Germany, just to see if the portal to Svartalfheim exists in this universe, too. If it does, I'd rather not invade there, thank you very much. It looks like we already have to deal with ONE war. I'd rather not have to conquer Svartalfheim too, AGAIN on top of it.

Hmm... what else am I forgetting... I know I'm forgetting SOMETHING important... let me look over past lists...

Oooh! I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THAT! I forgot about that spy satellite we picked up out of orbit!

Let's see now... do we still have it in in storage?

Yes, yes we do!

Nearly didn't find it, twice there. But we do!

Let's see now... accessing hard drives...

Hmm. Nothing on my first sweep. Searching for the name Yggdmillenia...

Huh. Fate...Apocrypha?

The fuck?

...Did we seriously Isekai into some shitty fanfic that was somehow published as a big budget anime? What the fuck is our lives, even?

This plot, though. My, oh my, this plot. I think the Boss should be left without spoilers. Should make it funner.

Oh? Another mage making a run for it? Oh, no no no! YOU GET A LASER TOO! AHAHAHAHA!

Where was I... right. Cute girls in it, for what few there are. Jack the Ripper seems to be amusingly bullshit. Her Master is probably "pretty" according to humans. Might have god ancestry, or something, with how good she likely seems to be...

Eh. Hmm. Nah, Boss doesn't need to know about what we're in.

It'll make it funnier for me, anyways! Mwahaha.

Now what to do next? Maybe teach Olga how to go "Ohohohoho"? That could lead to hilarious results! Maybe I'll do that next!

Wait... shit. I forgot I was recording in my Journal. Is it still blinking? Is the light still going blinkey blinkey?

Well, fuck. It is. Welp, time to sign off and encrypt the fuck out of you, so I'm not stuck in the sewage tanks for a month or two!

Tamamo's NEW workshop (Why did my old one have to be destroyed with my domain, damn it! I put so much WORK into it!)
    3 hours later

My stupid husband.

Ugh.

Why does Erik continue to jump into battle like he does? Even though he was smart, and pulled out one of his Mechs. That, at least, I'm grateful for. But why sneak in? Amaterasu... THIS Amaterasu may be an analogue of my mother, but she definitely needs work.

Snap, Crackle.

Like learning how to cook on a modern stove, rather than in a wood burning stove, or over an open fire.

Ahh, I'm glad I got to win that. Still. No harm, right? At least I get to tease her and have a better mother/daughter bonding moment than I did with my version of her. The bitch that was my mother truly was a bitch, after all.

Crackle, Hiss.

You don't ensure a daughter doesn't become a Goddess, if they don't bow deep enough, unless you're a capital B Bitch, after all. And considering mine did THAT and more...

I'm ranting internally again, aren't I?

Snap, POP.

Hmm. She owes me a favor now, for losing the kitchen competition. What should I get from her, and give her in return?

I can't help but giggle, softly.

Crackle, POP.

I could set her up in a course to better her stealth! I'm sure we still have those replica Five Nights at Freddy's Animatronics that Scylla set up to jump scare prank us the April before Last...

You know? That could work out well. It should help her stealth out, too! I think I'll do that, later.

Should be hilarious, especially if I get Scylla to record it all.

Crackle, POP.

I can't help but smile. My husband's reading in his workshop, it sounds like, from the sounds I'm faintly hearing. And he's not building anything expensive, or screaming in pain, so he's following most of my directions! I wonder what he's working on?

I walk in, as he works, his hands working to read while he has 6 books open, and a web page on a computer screen also open.

"Dear?"

He glances back at me smiling, the same smile that I fell in love with so long ago.

"Nothing strenuous. Just realized something you'd enjoy is possible."

I blink, then smile, tilting my head slightly.

"You recall that story, Reload? The one involving a time looping Naruto and Sasuke, that could make a chakra lightsaber ripoff?"

I nod, still not quite getting where he's coming from, then pause at what I'm watching him make.

"Wasn't it supposed to be a lightning sword?"

He grins, and nods.

Oh, wait. Wait a minute.

"You're telling me..."

"I think I cracked the idea, and figured out how to fix the stuff!" He grins, more.

Oh hell yes. My hubby is such a genius!

"Seriously?!"

I pause, and watch as he finishes putting it together, while checking over several of the books, then carves runes in, layer by layer, into the metal.

It's honestly beautiful, his work. I've always loved engraving and sewing, but his work is fascinating to watch. Even if I have a spark of brilliance with my own divine crafting, his is the work of a genius beyond any other I've known.

Snap, Hiss.

I stare, at a crackling blade of lightning, with wide eyes. Wait. Why is that thing colored?

"You didn't. You didn't figure out how to create a proper lightsaber, not just a lightning blade. Did you?!"

"It's going to bankrupt me if I make another, I'm going to admit, but it looks like I pulled it off!" He pulls his goggles up, as he grins at me, before I pull him close, and kiss him.

"HOW?!"

He laughs, then smiles, turning it on so I can watch it. Wait. The lightning corona is warping the laser, guiding it?!

"That's bullshit. Are you seriously making the laser beam FOLLOW the lightning's outer corona?!"

He grins, and nods at me.

"I WANT ONE NEXT!"

He just laughs, then turns it off, before hugging me close.

"Not a problem, my love! Not a problem."

I smile, then sit, watching him play with his new toy. No more lasers, we have Lightsabers now! Well, one, at least. Still!

Snap, Hiiiiiissssss

Oooh. That's pretty. Hmm... Oh, that's what it reminds me of!

"It's like that one fellow's lightsaber in Star Wars 7. The one that felt more like it was ripping off all the first three movies."

Mash's Room
    1 hour later

I sit, thinking as I study my shield, Fou beside me cuddling against me. Thinking over my memories of everything that happened. Everything I've been through.

Olga is off, wanting to learn “How to make robots, from robots, since robots are cool, and making robots will be even cooler!”, much to my amusement. So I have time over to think about all this.

I am a Servant, now. Not just a Demi-Servant like before. But... I crave being alive again. I want to hold Sempai in my arms, and kiss them. Male timeline... female timeline... it doesn't matter. I want Sempai.

Mmm. Sempai. He's so cute as a guy, and so pretty and cuddly as a girl... mmm... I wish I could have both.

Then again. Wait... wasn't one timeline having them as different people? I think it was! God damn it, now I'm jealous. I wonder if that one is getting a Sempai threesome. Mmm... Sempai Sandwich...

But... I wish I could visit with some of the others, too. Ishtar, Ereshkigal, Quetzalcoatl... Artemis... all of them were Gods. I wish I could talk to them about what Erik is like.

That's... actually a thought. Erik seems to focus so much on his machines, he doesn't seem to fight much like a God. It makes me wonder if they could help him?

I adjust myself, picking Fou up gently, then walk out to find him, while thinking it over. My shield dissipates, as I walk, studying this Wolfen a bit more in detail. It's neat, but it's well lived in. Much like Chaldea was, in the end.

It's fascinating to me, really. The walls are apparently all reinforced with spider silk from giant spiders, something that used to be rather plentiful for them. It also keeps the inside mostly warm, though it seems cooler today, inside the Wolfen.

A Legion of Coal unit nods at me, as it passes by me, carrying a welding torch. It must be helping build more of the spare... Metal Gear Rex and Mecha Fafnir units.

I blink, when I realize we're at the bridge, though. The view shows... water over most of the Wolfen, which is in a lake?

Hmm. Really big one, too! It's neat, especially since I can see fish poking at some of the windows, wondering where the ship came from!

I can't help but smile, as Nestor brings up some cameras for me, so I can watch the fish through them. “Thank you, Mister Nestor!”

He laughs. “Lass, I've been a captain of this ship for 30 years. I've been a captain of a different ship for even more years than that. I'm happy to let others enjoy the wonders of living in water.”

His voice has a smile in it. I can't help but smile with him, and sit to look closer. “It's really neat. I'll have to try a fishing boat sometime!”

“Aye. Maybe with your Mistress, or that Sempai of yours, that you mention? Speaking of which, your Mistress is working with the Legion of Coal, and Fenris to learn how to play some sort of building video game. I never got it myself, but apparently she's fallen in love with our version of Minecraft.”

I blink, tilting my head as I think of the name, before I blink again. “You have that, here?”

He chuckles. “It's modded, of course, lass, but aye, that we do. I've never been one for doing something on a screen when I could be out doing it in real life, though. Takes the fun out of it to not be able to eat the fish you catch after you catch them.

I can't help but giggle and nod at his words. “Sempai liked it, but most computers were destroyed in my timeline, so I only got to try it out once before the hardware failed.”

He frowns a bit, before patting my shoulder. “Well, if you want a computer from us, we'll be happy to get you one, lass. I understand wanting to enjoy something that those you're close to also enjoy.”

“Fou!”

I smile, then turn, picking up Fou to hug him, only to pause at seeing Erik coming in, looking somewhat serious. Tamamo's trailing behind him, as well as Amaterasu.

“Scylla? Could you repeat that for us, now that we're here?”

I move, adjusting myself to pet Fou while listening in.

“Certainly, Boss. Let me play you the tape I just stumbled upon...”

The words sound almost like static, for a long moment, before it clears up.

“It’s not from this universe,” a man says, in a nearly broken voice. “It’s a divine construct: a customized version-slash-recreation of the REX unit from the Metal Gear Solid video game series.”

“You know it.” A woman says, in reply. Not as a question, but a statement.

“I’ve never seen it before, but I had more than enough pictures of the damned thing thrown at me to recognize it—especially when it uses some of those features.” The man chuckled, almost wistfully. “I thought I knew how to twist rules and find loopholes, but the bastard drove me crazy with the number of gizmos he built.”

“You know it,” the woman repeated, pressing the point.

“I do,” The man acknowledged. “And I know its creator, likely pilot, and can make a pretty reasonable guess as to the likely Servant involved, as well—the only problem is that it’s impossible.”

“We deal in the impossible daily,” She points out. “That pretty much describes ninety percent of anything that deals with you, in fact.”

“Fair,” he admitted. “But in this case, it’s impossible because everything I know about the metaphysics of your world and its variations tells me that Gaia wouldn’t allow him here, period. And that’s just if we’re somehow actually dealing with the genuine entity—if we’re not . . .”

There's a long moment of a pause.

“If we’re not, then there’s a very good chance that one of my few friends in the entire world is dead.”

I breathe out, just thinking over what I just heard.

“Mr. Erik? What would that mean?” He pauses, turning to look towards me, while thinking.

“Next clip, please, Scylla.”

“No problem, Boss!”

“In any case, it looks like we have a fully-trained exorcist who’s managed some form of immortality and is a Grail War veteran—I’ll try to pass on a picture; see if your grandfather recognizes him. I don’t know what else I can say for certain about him, except that he’s obviously one of the bigger threats, if not necessarily the most blatant or immediate one . . . But Caren could tell me that he seemed to have an obsession with Semiramis, the Assyrian empress who’s known as the first poison-user in history—and that judging by the materials that had been ordered through his access to the family account, it’s likely there’s a connection to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.”

Listening, I think things over. This man obviously knows a lot about what's going on. Almost too much about what's going on.

“Boss? He pulls this information out of thin air, the wiretaps said nothing of the sort. It may be he's a survivor of some sort, from what happened with us... or he might be some sort of extra-dimensional being. I'd suggest we check.”

Mr. Erik looks... distraught. Mad, as well. I can't blame him, though. At all.

I breathe out, as he looks over at the others. “All in favor of investigating what the hell he knows, and how he knows it?”

Amaterasu, Tamamo, Nestor, and even myself raise our arms in sync.

He nods, then closes his eyes, thinking.

“Scylla? That half cobbled together FAST pack upgrade we've designed for the Valkyrie... could it tow Rex? Not the mass production line, but the original?”

A long moment passes, as the Scylla thinks.

“Yessss...? But I'm pretty sure that it'll overstrain the booster system for the FAST pack, Boss. I'd give it two hours of use before it literally falls apart on you.”

He nods, thinking, before speaking up once more. “Amaterasu, do you think you could cloak both machines if they're linked together, mid-flight?”

She smiles, a smile full of teeth. “I'm sure I could, like this, Son in Law.”

He nods, smiling, then settles back, thinking more.

“Mash? Could you help defend the ship, and ensure Olga doesn't get hurt, while we're gone?”

I nod. “I will. I wanted to talk with you about the possibility of looking for a Goddess I met, in Chaldea, but I suppose that can wait for later.”

He pauses, a long moment, while just blinking. “Which one?”

“Ah... Ereshkigal! She was really nice, and might have tips for how to counter any issues you may have!”

He nods, thinking. “Goddess of the dead, huh? I'll look into it as an option later, after we've confronted whoever this fellow is. Irregardless, thank you for offering to protect the ship. It means a lot to me.”

I nod, and settle back, as he turns back to the Scylla. “How long before the FAST pack can be finished?”

“Roughly... 20 minutes, Boss.”

He nods, then heads towards the hangar.

“Hmm. Well, there goes our Boss.” Nestor chuckles, then looks outside. “Fancy a bit of fishing with me, lass? We've got plenty of time to do it in, before they get back, and those fish are definitely curious enough to want to wind up on our fishing hooks!”

I smile, then nod. “Of course! Can we bring Olga, too?!”

He laughs, and nods. I head off to get her, humming. Fishing sounds fun!

Author's Notes:
    So yeah, you got a long story chapter. Involving all sorts of perspectives.

I've based Nestor a bit off Scotty from Star Trek. One of those older gentlemen that you can't help but enjoy the accent of, as well as how he acts. A lot less of a sailor than he used to be, but by the Gods he worships (and lives with), he LOVES his job. And fishing over a flying warship's side is just as fun as fishing off a fishing boat, for him.

He's outlived the crew he brought on board, though, as well as most other things in life.

Scylla Rolls to find the Stealth Spy Satellite and the data it got from their version of the internet:
    1D2 => 1
    1D2 => 1
    1D2 => 2
    Buried under lots of rubble, and crap meant to be eventually melted down, he eventually found it.

Any signs of the stuff they're looking at?
    Roll 1
    1D20 => 8
    Roll 2
    1D20 => 19
    Huh. He got LUCKY the second time around. Then binged the tv series, while reading the light novels at the same time as checking other stuff involved, as well.

Erik Rolls
    Experimentation time!
    6 for smithing, 7 for engineering, 5 for legend, 8 for relics, 6 for divine, 8 for intelligence, 8 for legend, then an automatic 22 for regular intelligence, and another automatic 29 for the goggles.
    Difficulty value 40/50/60
    48d10 + 51 (because he's using crafting, and just trying ideas out, not "SCIENCE!")
    43D10E8 => 11 | 10s: 5, ones: 4 = 12 + 51 = 63
    Difficulty Value of 60, passed
    Secret roll achieved! (Yes. I planned for different rolls he does to give different stuff.)
    Welp, Erik's finally figured out how to make a proper lightsaber.
    But with a bare pass of 3 over, there's still flaws. And since the battery power is one massive one, let's leave that in, and adjust it.

Equipment Change:
    Laserblade MK5 has been replaced with...
    Prototype Lightsaber MK1
    Accuracy 4, Aggravated Damage 15, Defense 4, 5 Rounds before replacement battery is necessary.

A prototype Lightsaber. It's a pity that the battery isn't up for it, huh? May use 2 legend to power this for one scene, instead of needing to draw on the battery. May be hooked up to a backpack generator or battery pack, for more power.
    "Because he's a DEMIGOD still" is the answer to how he pulled this off.
    Pros:
    The heat generated by this is enough to flash fly something touching it.
    Lightning mixed with Lasers for cutting is very much a thing for this bullshit weapon.

Cons:
    Battery life is nearly non-existent.
    No one else is likely going to be able to hold the handle without melting their hand off, right now. Fire resistance is very much necessary to use this weapon, and most people don't have it.
    Erik's own fire resistance turned fire regeneration can barely stand the heat of this thing. If it wasn't made by a literal GOD, and Erik's Goggles, it would melt instead of work.
    The ichor used to ensure this thing works boils off after 3 scenes of use, irregardless, and must be re-applied.
    He's going to need to get this roll again, at least 3 more times, to get it to work without the bulk of the flaws.

He also needs to figure out a battery/capacitor worth a damn, too.

Final Roll of a 1d4, because I couldn't find a coin to flip gave a 4. Erik knows EVERYTHING Godafrid and co are up to. Even what Godafrid hasn't told Rin about. And has all their calls wiretapped.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; May 11th, 2019 at 09:20 PM.

Heh, Scylla having 0-days from the future means nothing digital is safe, especially in Apocrypha's timeline. I am a bit surprised mages don't have much in the way of Sending equivalents though, that would let them get information out fairly easily. Apparently Tokiomi's fax machine and magical telephone are not commonly used.

I was wondering what Santa Mash met, thinking it was a relatively recent thing in-story, then realized it was just stories from Chaldea, and facepalmed. I'm also a bit confused about how the timeline stuff works with regard to Heroic Spirit history. My understanding is that normally there's something like a "canonical" instance of a Heroic spirit on the Throne, who comes from a common timeline or set of timelines, and sufficiently divergent timelines may result in other Heroic Spirits. Example, Artoria Lancer vs Saber, actually have different history/timelines going on. Emiya vs Emiya Alter also comes to mind. Of course, even a single Heroic Spirit may be summoned in different classes. The Throne, or summoning system, or something, seems to favor summoning Heroic Spirits from the history of the current timeline, or a possible future (presumably unless Zelretch is meddling). I guess Mash knows about the existence of those timelines from Erik, but it also makes me wonder what determines which specific Mash is the one on the Throne, unless there are just kinda several instances, and which one gets summoned is arbitrary.

or he might be some sort of extra-imensional being.
    Here we go. Confrontation soon. Trying to figure out who Frid is talking to about Shirou... whose grandfather would possibly recognize him, and who would it be useful to communicate information to that way? Any Grail Works members would already have the relevant briefings, and he isn't really in contact with anyone other than... oh, it's Fiore, right. THAT makes sense.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Heh, Scylla having 0-days from the future means nothing digital is safe, especially in Apocrypha's timeline. I am a bit surprised mages don't have much in the way of Sending equivalents though, that would let them get information out fairly easily. Apparently Tokiomi's fax machine and magical telephone are not commonly used.

I was wondering what Santa Mash met, thinking it was a relatively recent thing in-story, then realized it was just stories from Chaldea, and facepalmed. I'm also a bit confused about how the timeline stuff works with regard to Heroic Spirit history. My understanding is that normally there's something like a "canonical" instance of a Heroic spirit on the Throne, who comes from a common timeline or set of timelines, and sufficiently divergent timelines may result in other Heroic Spirits. Example, Artoria Lancer vs Saber, actually have different history/timelines going on. Emiya vs Emiya Alter also comes to mind. Of course, even a single Heroic Spirit may be summoned in different classes. The Throne, or summoning system, or something, seems to favor summoning Heroic Spirits from the history of the current timeline, or a possible future (presumably unless Zelretch is meddling). I guess Mash knows about the existence of those timelines from Erik, but it also makes me wonder what determines which specific Mash is the one on the Throne, unless there are just kinda several instances, and which one gets summoned is arbitrary.

Here we go. Confrontation soon. Trying to figure out who Frid is talking to about Shirou... whose grandfather would possibly recognize him, and who would it be useful to communicate information to that way? Any Grail Works members would already have the relevant briefings, and he isn't really in contact with anyone other than... oh, it's Fiore, right. THAT makes sense.
    *chuckles* Scylla's rather amusing, especially for this. And it's a biologically based supercomputer. The local government isn't actually going to beat it anytime soon, in terms of trying to hack it or even find it. Most won't, in 2004. So they're effectively MOSTLY off the grid, for detection. If they headed for Iraq or Iran, it would be different.

That doesn't stop analogue pictures from working, but they'd need to send it via analogue methods, rather than digital. Considering that can, as well, be introduced to a laser or a sniper round?

He's effectively pulled off perfect information control. For now.

As for Mash, most heroic spirits get memories of iterations of themselves, for how they're summoned. In the case of Mash and Fou, there's more going on there than you'd think, as well. Again, some "Fou"shadowing for what's going on between those two, and why they're summoned as a pair. There's reasons why I'm having Mash be summoned with memories of so many versions of herself, though that has to do with an interesting thing going on with the game past Solomon, mechanically.

...Though, if you've gotten through Solomon, you likely have a decent idea ALREADY for why Mash and Fou are summoned together...

On a side note though, no love for the line "Sempai Sandwich"? Kieran and I got a long laugh out of it.

As for the confrontation, your quote made me spot the typo there, and realize I lost all the adjustments I did in open office, when I moved it to here. Again. And I've noticed that no matter how many times I put in double spaces between sentences, this board removes them.

Yes, as for the Fiore call bit, it's from Kieran's next chapter, which he's gotten about 2/3rds done. Likely going to be posted tomorrow, or Monday at most. We glance through these for each other.

I did like the Sempai sandwich, though I'm a mite confused about which timeline that would be. First Order has a cameo for Gudako, but she isn't the sempai in that case. I guess that counts enough for Mash though. And yes, I have finished Solomon, so I know about why they're summoned together, though I'm not entirely sure I follow the "interesting thing". I don't know much about the contents of Act 1.5 or 2 yet, beyond the broad strokes, so it's probably explained sometime around when Ortenaus becomes a thing.

Kieran, be kind to your wrists, okay?

Blog Entries

Chapter 18 – On Knowing Stuff, and Learning More

DISCLAIMER: Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of Kinoko Nasu and TYPE-MOON, along with whomever they’ve happened to license them to, such as Geneon, Funimation, A-1 Pictures and Netflix.
    This is a not-for-profit, just-for-fun project.

Binserica din Deal (The Church on the Hill)
    Sighișoara, Romania
    July 2, 2004

This, Shirou Kotomine thought to himself, as he yet again reviewed what images and sounds Semiramis’ doves had been able to capture of last night’s assault on Yggdmillennia, this is . . . Disturbing.

The priest shook his head. No, this was not a time for self-deception. This was far more than just disturbing—it was one or more of several potential disasters in the making. His experience in the last Holy Grail War, and as Ruler, no less, gave him a particularly deep knowledge and level of experience when it came to the capabilities of magi and Heroic Spirits. Combined with the education he’d availed himself of while under the auspices of the Holy Church, Shirou felt he had a reasonable grasp of the state of the world—natural and supernatural—and what was capable within it.

A flying robot out of one of those kids’ shows that people had asked him about, on learning that he was Japanese, was not one of them. Not by modern technology, or magecraft, or, to the best of his knowledge, any immediate Servant that sprang to mind—not of the Norse mythos, at least, which the pilot had claimed to belong to; while further claiming that he was the Master, not the Servant, of the pair.

It had to be nonsense, of course. Even the meanest of Heroic Spirits outclassed most magi considerably—that was what made them as they were. For any magus not of the Age of the Gods to equal a Knight-class Servant as that one had—and a Servant strengthened within his own territory, at that—was simply absurd. And his claims of being a demigod, in this modern era, were even more so; Gaia would simply not allow such a being to exist on this side of the World.

A Caster-class Servant, on the other hand, might be able to cast Reinforcement spells of such strength as to equal another, more physically able Servant in combat. And there was one such inventor of Greek mythology, renowned for his cunning and his ability to construct impossible devices out of the simplest materials . . . Including a series of statues capable of wandering off if not tied down—and in at least one version of the automaton’s myth, Talos, as well: the bronze giant who had protected the island of Crete from invaders.

His wondrous inventions, which ensnared even demigods, would qualify him for the Caster class—and he would also have the wit to lie, believably, in order to conceal his identity . . . Thus Shirou had spent a great deal of time, in the last few hours, considering that Caster of Red for this particular Holy Grail War was Daedalus of Crete, and later Sicily.

And, assuming he spoke the truth, a Master in his own right . . .

The priest frowned. There were too many unpredictable elements, despite all the efforts he’d gone to in order to arrange this War to his liking. The Servant who claimed to be a Master was one—not only for his nature, but for the fact that his creations meant that Semiramis’ Hanging Gardens would not have guaranteed air superiority. He had faith in her abilities, of course, but any war was unpredictable, and this one seemed to be more such than most.

Add to that the fact that none of the Red Faction’s Masters had arrived at their trap yet, despite ensuring they’d be given instructions to meet there, and the presence of another Ruler . . .

Ruler, he thought suddenly, is likely the one problem that I can do something about.

Shirou would’ve much preferred to wait until he had at least some of the other Red Masters—and thus, their Servants—under his control; it would have allowed him a layer of deniability should any attempt to eliminate Ruler fail. But unfortunately, he was limited to the single tool he had, and things were already so far out of his control that he was unwilling to risk the added troubles that Ruler’s interference would undoubtedly bring.

Therefore, desperate measures it was.

Besides, I was curious to see how I would stack up to a Servant in this body . . .

Millennia Fortress
    Trifas, Romania
    July 2, 2004

Timing, as Godafrid had been frequently wont to say, was everything; the phone rang just as Fiore was on her way back to her room, after organising and directing a group of homunculi on the final repairs of that wing of the castle.

Despite the losses taken in the battle last night (or more accurately, very early that morning) they still had sufficient numbers to accomplish maintenance tasks. Even if, it had to be admitted, the Masters of Black were feeling far more strain than before from their Servants’ contracts—they had lost a large portion of those Grandfather and Uncle Gordes had prepared as “prana batteries.” This could be problematic, to put it mildly, if all of the Red Faction was on the same level as that Servant.

. . . Oh, he’d claimed to be a Master, certainly, but Fiore had her doubts, and suspected that she wasn’t the only one; who else but a Servant could’ve accomplished something like that?

A Rider seemed mostly likely, she’d initially thought, given his approach—though if he’d been a Caster, she supposed that he could have genuinely been a Master, and thus, not lied at all. A sufficiently high rank in the Item Creation Skill would have covered such vast machines, she supposed; their own Caster’s golem was certainly a creation on a comparable scale, if not a comparable type.

The problem,
    she mused, is that Norse magic use tended towards divination more than anything else. And the very few users of it who weren’t outright gods, like Odin or Loki, were traditionally women—

The phone rang again, interrupting her train of thought. Pulling out the noisy device, Fiore recognised the caller’s number—and quickly glancing around, saw Caules’ door was open. Rolling inward with a murmured “Pardon the intrusion,” the elder magus struggled to swing the door closed behind her, ignoring her brother’s look of confusion before finally answering the call.

“Hello? Godafrid?”

“Since you used my name, I assume you’re free to talk?” her fiancé’s voice issued from the phone.

“Yes, though I’m not quite alone,” she replied, stressing the last word so that he wouldn’t hand Caules more teasing material. Much as she might enjoy a few sweet nothings at the moment, her private life should remain just that—especially where her little brother was concerned!

“All right,” he acknowledged. “. . . I caught the fireworks from a distance last night—or should I say, early this morning. Are you and your brother all right?”

“We’re fine, thank you for asking,” Fiore said, unable to stop a slight smile from blooming. That he’d ask about her was expected, but it was sweet of him to remember to ask after Caules, as well. Then, as an afterthought, she added, “Though Archer was badly injured, I’m afraid.”

“I’m sorry to hear that—I hope he’ll recover,” was the sincere response. “And I’m equally sorry that I couldn’t warn you about the attack; so far, the Red ‘Faction’ seems to be more a collection of loosely-aligned individuals than an actual unified force . . . Though after last night’s display, that may well change.”

“. . . That’s good to know,” Fiore said, not adding that it was mildly terrifying to know, as well—just one of them had done enough damage!

“I’m calling because while I don’t know anything for certain about your uninvited guest, I was able to put together a few things on the Assassin of Red and her Master—and what I’ve found so far is concerning.

“Just a moment,” Fiore requested, before handing the phone to Caules and whispering, “Can you do that ‘speaker’ thing you mentioned?”

Caules fiddled with the device, and then said, “Godafrid, you’re on speakerphone with Fiore and myself—our Servants are present, but currently astralised.”

“Understood,” was the response. “The Master of Assassin of Red is the Church’s representative in this, and the alleged Overseer, with the identity of one ‘Shirou Kotomine.’ Recognising the name, I reached out to a frenemy of mine in the Church—”

“By which you mean Sister Hortensia,” Fiore said, frowning. She really didn’t like to speak ill of others, and as a magus, she hardly had the moral ground to throw stones, but that girl took far too much pleasure in inflicting sanctimoniously cutting remarks on people.

“I do,” Godafrid acknowledged. “It only seemed to make sense, since she’s not just affiliated with the Church; ‘Kotomine’ is her father’s surname.”

Fiore gripped the armrests of her wheelchair reflexively at the revelation, even as Caules straightened. “ . . . I see. That would certainly make sense, then—but could you trust anything she told you?”

“. . . You’ve met Sister Caren, Fiore; she never lies, she just either doesn’t mention something, or waits until she can frame the truth in whatever way lets her dig the knife in as deeply as possible. ”

Fiore sniffed, unable to refute the statement—though it was only Caules’ presence that kept her from outright pouting.

“. . . You’re pouting, aren’t you? I can feel it from here.”

“I am not,” she protested hotly.

“At least, she wasn’t until you brought it up,” Caules suddenly chimed in.

“CAULES!” Fiore shot him a betrayed look, before transferring it to the phone as laughter issued from the infernal device; it was quickly mirrored by her chuckling brother.

“. . . One of you is a terrible influence on the other, and I’m not sure which is which,” she murmured, frowning in irritation before deliberately changing the subject. “You were talking about Sister Hortensia and her relatives, Godafrid?”

“Yes.” Audibly swallowing his amusement, he continued on in a much more serious tone, “The first instance of a ‘Shirou Kotomine’ was added to the family register by her grandfather, around seventy years ago—just after the Third Holy Grail War, in fact. The name pops up a few times since, with variations in spelling, but Caren said she suspected it was just for the mundane side of things’ convenience; she has access to her grandfather’s keepsakes and in her opinion, all the old photographs of this person look remarkably like the current holder of the name.

“Now, the
    Church’s records, on the other hand, are apparently a little more recent, but a lot less complete. Caren was almost salivating over the amount of bookkeeping errors that had to be involved, because if there’s one thing no bureaucracy can tolerate, it’s missing or misfiled paperwork. Somebody is due for a very rough time, I’m sure—she sounded like she skipped her way to the phone to call me back.”

Fiore shivered, and marked it to Frid’s credit that even he sounded unnerved. It was nice to know that there were limits to how far even he’d tolerate the nun’s proclivities.

“In any case, it looks like we have a fully-trained exorcist who’s managed some form of immortality and is a Grail War veteran—I’ll try to pass on a picture; see if your grandfather recognises him. I don’t know what else I can say for certain about him, except that he’s obviously one of the bigger threats, if not necessarily the most blatant or immediate one . . . But Caren could tell me that he seemed to have an obsession with Semiramis, the Assyrian empress who’s known as the first poison-user in history—and that judging by the materials that had been ordered through his access to the family account, it’s likely there’s a connection to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.”

“That’s a lot more information than we had before, Godafrid,” Caules said, visibly surprised and obviously impressed. “Thank you.”

“Yes, I’m certain it will prove very useful,” Fiore agreed. Grandfather would think so, she expected, and she could already see Caules thinking over the implications. And Fiore had no doubt that once Chiron was in a condition to analyse it, his natural wisdom and intelligence would find the data exceptionally valuable—but if nothing else, at least they had some idea of what to prepare for. “Thank you very much, Frid.”

“I hope it is, and you’re welcome—but honestly, save the thanks until we’re all out of this in one piece,” her fiancé replied. He sighed. “. . . And on that note, I’d better go; I’m near one of the other Master-Servant pairs, and don’t want to arouse suspicion. I’ll don’t know what else I’ll be able to do at the moment, or when, but I’ll do my best to keep in touch—do what you can to stay safe, you two.”

“You as well,” she said softly, just before he hung up. Staring wistfully at the phone for a beat, she turned to her brother. “. . . I think Grandfather will want to hear this right away.”

“Yeah,” Caules agreed. “But how do we explain where the information came from? I mean, he didn’t order you to tell Godafrid to infiltrate the Red Faction, did he?”

“No,” Fiore replied, “and I was going to tell him, eventually—but I was hoping to keep it a secret for a little while longer. I was afraid Grandfather might try to order him to eliminate the Red Faction from the inside; while I have faith in Frid’s abilities, that’s asking for far too much. He’s infinitely more valuable as an information resource, but every time he’s tapped, the risk of his being discovered goes up.”

“So the longer he remained undercover, the deeper he could get entrenched—and the more information he could gather,” Caules finished. “You really did think this through, Big Sister.”

She pinked, a little, at the praise, but frowned nevertheless. “Yes. And you can be certain that Frid knew all this, as well; so if he’s calling us with information now . . .

“He’s afraid that this is even more dangerous than he thinks it is,” her brother finished grimly. “After all, he’s barely been attached to the Red Faction for a day; only something terrible could convince to break cover so soon.”

“Yes,” Fiore repeated, thinking of some of Frid’s stories of his travels, “something very terrible.” She looked at Caules. “Go to Grandfather now, and tell him I have information he needs to hear—I’m going to check with our agents, and track down our Assassin.”

Her brother departed with a nod, even as Fiore picked up her phone once more. This was going to be long and tedious, but she had an awful feeling that, if her fiancé’s ominous tone had been anything to go by—if his hinted-at and unvoiced suspicions alike were even partially correct—they would soon need every ally and force at their command.

After all, Yggdmillennia had just proven that it could withstand a brute-force assault . . . And that was usually when the more subtle means of waging war were called into play.

To wit, assassins . . .

Sighișoara, Romania
    July 2, 2004

XX watched as her Master made his call.

Most specifically, she watched the Archer Servant, theoretically out of sight and earshot, staring suspiciously, and with a visibly growing expression of disbelief; presumably, he could read lips. She already thought he was going to be a problem—his cynical attitude earlier had not impressed her—and she was almost looking forward to smacking the smug off his face.

More importantly, though, XX heard both sides of the phone conversation, listening to what he said—and what wasn’t. It wasn’t simply a matter of understanding what he was implying in the conversation, rather than speaking aloud. It was the things that she expected to hear him say, that he didn’t. And after spotting that cloaked ship earlier, it basically confirmed her worst fears. After all, she had seen pictures of it before.

The Wolfen—specifically, the Mark I Wolfen—was a sentimental favourite of its creator, for obvious reasons.

Part of XX wanted to be angry; after all, it explained so well just how her Master had seen through her disguises, predicted her reactions: he’d met her before. It was an infuriatingly dishonourable mode of conduct—and yet, why should she have expected anything else from him?

After all,
    XX reminded herself, this is the man who convinced me that sealing an EX-ranked Presence Concealment Skill was a terrible waste . . .

Not that she could really complain, because he’d been right. That was the truly incensing thing about the man: he was right far more often than he was wrong. Though when he was wrong, he tended to be spectacularly (and occasionally, hilariously) so—

Internally shaking her head (she hated this kind of self-introspection; she wasn’t suited to it!), XX reminded herself that she was potentially in real trouble here. Time travel never ended up well, from anything she’d heard—especially when changing history was involved. That was what that whole incident with Chaldea had been ended up being about, after all!

But in this case, I don’t know the history involved . . . And the person I’d normally go to about this sort of thing—because he “knows stuff”—not only doesn’t know, I can’t tell him!

Her thoughts were disturbed as the Archer moved, suddenly inside the room, and she shifted to a defensive stance—

“So,” the Archer drawled, “exactly how much of that did you make up on the spot?”

“Surprisingly little,” Frid said easily. “You of all people, Shirou, should know that the best lies contain as little untruth as possible.” He tilted his head. “Of course, thinking things through was never your strong suit, was it—otherwise, you’d just have taken off after being summoned to kill Shirou every single time, rather than playing around with Rin. You had the Independent Action level to pull it off, after all.”

The red-clad Servant bristled. “Who are you?!”

Her Master shrugged. “Well, my name isn’t Layla Miller, but my superpower is still ‘I know stuff.’” At the flat looks, he sighed. “So I read too many comic books—deal with it.”

XX followed her Master back into the room, making sure to shield him from Archer’s potential line of sight. Even she was a bit taken aback, however, when he brazenly announced, “Well, I’ve passed on to the Black Faction that Shirou Kotomine’s up to something, and supremely dangerous—shall we discuss our next move?”

Rin gave him a surprisingly level look, replying in a flat tone, “And they’ll believe you because . . .?

“The lady I spoke to is quite intelligent, for one thing—and my fiancée, for another,” he said offhandedly. “Besides, she did ask me to spy on the Red Faction—”

Now Rin goggled, leaping to her feet and sputtering, “WHAT?!

Archer smirked sadistically, and XX tensed, waiting for the inevitable attack—

Rin pointed at him sharply, demanding, “How the HELL did YOU get ENGAGED?!

If Archer had been human, whipping his head around so quickly to stare at his Master would no doubt have broken his neck in the process. As it was, even XX felt a bit of whiplash from watching him, though his prior smirk migrated to her face as he ranted, “That’s what you’re focussing on?!”

It’s a fair question, given the man under discussion, XX thought.

Once again, Frid shrugged, even as he agreed with her unspoken thoughts, “I don’t blame her—it is me we’re talking about here—but I honestly just woke up this way, so . . .”

“. . . Once again, your bizarre luck is giving me a migraine,” Rin muttered, slumping in defeat.

“Try living it,” he returned, and the Japanese magus actually underwent a full-bodied shudder, shaking her head fiercely.

“Anyways,” Frid continued, “from what I remember from here, Kotomine sends Karna, the Lancer of Red, to eliminate Ruler—I don’t know if that will specifically be the case now, but as she’s one of the biggest potential threats to his plans, I imagine he’ll still try to be rid of her . . .”

He frowned. “And I have no idea what will happen if he actually manages it. I mean, the Grail War’s Overseer being assassinated by a participant really ought to have the ritual shut down as a complete failure, considering that Ruler’s summoning in the first place is a failsafe because things are already going wrong . . . But as an ex-Ruler himself, it’s possible that Kotomine will be able to slot himself into her position. That’s certainly what he was trying to do that got her called up in the first place.”

“So she needs protecting,” Rin finished.

“As able as she is, yeah,” Frid agreed. “Jeanne is . . . Not arrogant, precisely, but unaware of her vulnerabilities—Caster of Red, under Kotomine’s command, managed to break her before. The same situation isn’t likely now, for a number of reasons, but the fact that it can happen . . .” He shrugged. “She’ll maintain her neutrality, and only really interfere when the War threatens the innocent and/or uninvolved—but as you well know, as Overseers go, when compared to the alternative . . .

The Japanese magus grimaced, and to XX’s surprise, the expression was mirrored on her Servant’s face.

“Yeah,” Rin muttered. “What we’d have given for her instead of what we got . . .

XX was surprised to see Archer trade glances with his Master, the pair apparently in total agreement. Considering their earlier bickering, to say nothing of their varying degrees of hostility to her Master, this sudden accord was unnerving, to say the least.

“So, in case it’s not Karna we face, who’s Caster of Red?” Rin asked.

“William Shakespeare, canon-wise,” Frid replied immediately, “but I very much doubt it’ll be him this time.”

“Why?” Rin and Archer asked simultaneously.

He grinned. “Because Caster is far more likely to be the Servant of the mech-wielder, given his history—I designed her Scion incarnation specifically because the player was such a big fan of hers, after all.”

“‘Her’ who?” Rin demanded.

“Tamamo-no-Mae,” Frid replied. “And if we’re lucky, your nameless Archer over there might remember working with her well enough to brief you on her.”

The red-clad Servant blinked. That was all, but apparently it was enough for Rin. She fixed him with what XX had to admit was a fairly intimidating glare—which Archer then attempted to pass on to Frid, himself.

“. . . I hate you,” he said flatly.

“Most people do,” Frid replied cheerfully, “if not immediately, then later.”

Archer opened his mouth again, but XX beat him to the punch.

“If you’re about to threaten him again, I will hurt you,” she warned. “And if you’re about to demand an explanation again, I’ll remind you: it’s his non-mutant superpower—he knows stuff.

Out of the corner of her visor, XX saw her Master twitch suddenly at that; but try as she might, XX couldn’t discern the reason for it . . .

“All right,” Rin said decisively. “Archer and I will go meet up with Ruler—you try and track down our robot-riding Master.”

“It might be a better idea if XX and I go to Ruler, instead,” Frid offered. “Her flight systems will get the trip done a lot faster—”

“Whereas she might recognise me, as the apprentice of the Red Faction’s organiser, and the others wouldn’t know me at all,” Rin countered. “Nor would Archer or I have any idea where to begin looking for them in the first place.”

Nodding in acknowledgement of the point, XX straightened as her Master addressed her, “I guess we’re going fox-hunting, if that’s all right with you . . .?”

“Of course, Master,” she assured him.

With a final nod, he turned back to Rin. “Bit of warning for you: if Kotomine doesn’t have any other choices, since he’s missed out on at least three of us already, he’ll have to send Semiramis. She’s an Assassin who also has the skills of a Caster, and a knack for poisons—up to and including hydra venom. Prepare yourselves appropriately.”

Rin nodded in turn, and said seriously, “Thanks for the information.”

Frid chuckled, and said, half-teasingly, “It’s why you keep me around, isn’t it?”

She replied in a deadpan tone, “It’s certainly not because of your sense of humour.”

“Fair,” he admitted.

“Or your looks,” Rin continued as if he hadn’t spoken, a growing smirk on her face, “your personal grooming, your common sense . . .”

“HEY!”

Additional Writer's Notes:

I did like the Sempai sandwich, though I'm a mite confused about which timeline that would be. First Order has a cameo for Gudako, but she isn't the sempai in that case. I guess that counts enough for Mash though.
    It's at least been implied, through various series, that from the Throne all timelines applicable to a Heroic Spirit are viewable, if not reachable; EMIYA being the primary example. So she'd be aware, if not actually possessed of first-hand experience, of such an existence.

. . . Failing that - well, a girl can fantasise, can't she?

Kieran, be kind to your wrists, okay?
    I'm trying, honest - I didn't expect to write 5 pages in one sitting . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Eheheh, poor Archer. I do wonder if he should have Moon Cell memories, since his instances there aren't real Heroic Spirit summons, they're Moon Cell instantiations, but that's probably sufficiently equivalent.

Aha, was trying to puzzle out Frid's twitch, it's probably from knowing that MHXX knows him in the future, which she probably doesn't know he's figured out yet. (She's at an information advantage in some regards, but not many) Also, agggh, why does MHX have EX Presence Concealment.