JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Logan Starbright
    Simulator
    11/16/2026
    Monday - Late Morning

He doesn’t need her finger to see it, just a proper look. The face of his enemy, painstakingly tugged from the depths of cognition. He sees the twitch of Chris’s jaw as she steps out of the door. He feels the sickening crawl on his skin as he steps out of the room, Amelia at the ready, like he’s swimming through cobwebs. He feels, quite keenly, more than spirit power or rationality that he’s being watched. Every step through the hallways that ought not to be deserted stamps that truth.

He’s being watched.

He’s being watched.

He’s being watched.

He’s being watched.

He’s being watched.

He’s bein-

Logan grits his teeth. I should’ve honed my senses more. This is all thanks to my complacency. If I could track this guy, then we wouldn’t have to go through this. He spares a glance at Yamuna, the eternal idol laid low by reality’s bitter grasp. This is all my fault. I should’ve learned a curse release spell. I should’ve realized that she was sickened from the start. Christ, I was so arrogant, thinking I understood it all! You imbecile! His grip tightens.

He takes a deep breath. But from the looks of things, whatever the target’s doing to Yamuna requires her to be in this World. Eve’s Auto-Skill doesn’t have a healing effect, nor does it stop time, which means that this spell requires a connection between the target and the caster. Is it single-target or AOE? If it was AOE, then Chris and I would’ve felt its effects far sooner. There’s also the possibility that it divides its power among a select number of targets, but… yeah, that wouldn’t make a difference for this. Does the enemy think it’s stronger than Eve and I and believes it’s won the moment it eliminates Yamuna? Or does it believe that it’d lose to Yamuna even if she had to worry about the rest of us collapsing in infirmity? Logan flexes his left hand. That doesn’t matter. Curse, poison, conceptual attack, no matter what the enemy’s using, they’re constantly targeting Yamuna. If it’s an attack that remains activated so long as the caster is within range, then there’s nothing I can do but wait, but if not… Yeah, let’s go with that. I won’t let Yamuna suffer any longer.

: You’re about to do something stupid, aren’t you Logan?

: ...Nothing passes you by, does it?

: Anyways, the answer is no. Even if it’s only 999% stupid instead of an even 1K No Way, the answer’s still no.

: But Yamuna-!

: Will last a little bit longer. Besides, no one can find this bastard. Your opening’s just gonna go to waste.

“Tch.” No matter how many times it is, confronting his impotence always stings.

Finally, they reach the lobby. Logan rounds the corner and immediately stops, taking in the bizarre sight. The SDCD lobby, once a welcoming and brightly lit space with a charming mural of all manner of Demons and humans on the far wall is now a twisted kaleidoscope dumped on its side, its iridescent filling glued to the wall. The crystals throb as they encroach upon the tableau. Deliberately. Disgustingly. But that’s not all that gives Logan pause. After all, what use is a tableau without an actor?

A crystal man awaits, sword in hand. He watches the gate, a lone warden in a silent prison.

Logan steps forward, weapon brought to bear. Chris’s explanation rings through his mind, and he curses his spell selection. Nothing he can do about that now. He’s not leaving the others behind with a likely hostile. Logan rockets forward to smash the glittering blade from the crystal man’s hand before following up with a blow to its head.

Amelia. The moment they’re in danger or Yamuna can’t take any more, use that spell.

Spoiler:
    Auto-Skill: ???
    Spells Set: ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, Eye of the Fates
    Spells Used: Eye of the Fates
    Heat: 6/10
    Supports:

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Eva Ellet
    SLEIPNIR - Common Room (?)
    11/16/2026
    Monday - Morning

"They could destroy it if they wanted, it wouldn't realize until it was too late to do anything about it... Or they could trick it into coming with them, it probably wouldn't see anything wrong with that either, considering it was already granting human desires for them... And in my history with people, well... If they can preserve power they do it, so it's a rumor... But I think they probably did take the entity away somewhere... Might have even seen it as the moral option, or perhaps, the better way to seal it in the long run... Yeah, that's probably what they did, but you know, best to still call it a rumor."

“That sequence of events does make sense. Although, well, this may be a little rude to say, but…”

The story of the Master System, as Alexia described it, was certainly an unfortunate one. It held no blame in this course of events: if anything, in the circumstance (unlikely given Alexia’s account of it) that it had been destroyed, it could be considered nothing but a victim. Tragic… might not be too strong a choice of words, since she didn’t know it personally and the story was almost entirely speculation, but it sounded like a regrettable sequence of events.

But even though she thought that…

“While it does sound rather pitiful, perhaps it would have been better if it had been destroyed. That much power and innocence sounds like a disastrous combination. Assuming it is kept away somewhere, I hope someone has made an effort to, well, raise doesn’t seem appropriate given its status… educate? Educate it better.”

It didn’t change the fact that from her descriptor, the Master System sounded like nothing but danger. Eva Ellet viewed her duty as a Tamer, to counterattack supernatural threats, fairly seriously- it was hard not for her to see the entity described as anything but a ticking time bomb.

“Anyways, rumors aside… “

Charlotte Akarana- it was a name that failed to bring to mind any notable memories, but Eva decided to keep it in her memory for the future. Considering Alexia’s own words, there probably weren’t many other details she could provide: it was a subject that was worth looking into on her own in the future, perhaps.

Eva couldn’t help but feel like that list had kept growing much faster than it was shrinking the past couple days.

As for something that Alexia did seem to be very knowledgeable on…

“This is the first I’ve heard of changing the world with perception.” It sounded rather fantastical- absurd, even. The world from her perspective was and always had been immutable to any changes of the sort.

“If you’ll forgive the question- I don’t mean to suggest you are lying- but how do you even know it’s a thing? According to your conditions, changes occur when most people believe in it: but from their perspective, nothing would happen, correct? The world would simply appear as it always was.”

Giving a confused look at Alexia, she continued.

“Did you witness such a change yourself- were you one of the few whose perception was not tricked? Or is there some way to detect such a shift?”

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eva Ellet
    SLEIPNIR - Common Room (?)
    11/16/2026
    Monday - Morning

Quote Originally Posted by Eva
    “If you’ll forgive the question- I don’t mean to suggest you are lying- but how do you even know it’s a thing? According to your conditions, changes occur when most people believe in it: but from their perspective, nothing would happen, correct? The world would simply appear as it always was.”

Giving a confused look at Alexia, she continued.

“Did you witness such a change yourself- were you one of the few whose perception was not tricked? Or is there some way to detect such a shift?”
    "...Well, this fossil has seen quite a bit in her time."

She chuckles.

"But yes, I've seen it, quite a few times in fact. Back in the old days, before world-wide communication became such a simple thing, it was something you were able to see all the time."

Then stands again, wandering back over to the board and wiping it clear in a few broad strokes with a rather ancient looking eraser; from there, she draws a massive circle on the board, and...

Labels it the "World."

"Reality as we know it is based on the consensus of everyone on the planet. This is called Consensus Reality, although some call it the Cognition or the Logic instead... Humans have the greatest effect on it for reasons we're not quite sure of, but Demons and other lifeforms do affect it to a degree... This process is almost entirely unconscious, belief is something that lies deep in the self after all, but there are things you simply wouldn't doubt right? Like gravity? For the entirety of your life gravity has existed, thus, it's something that you know exists, and thus it does, and because it does, it can be observed and determined to be real... It's much like a self-perpetuating cycle in that regard, belief creates something, that something comes to be, and because that something exists others come to believe in it's existence, eventually it becomes a fact of life."

Again, jabbing at the board with the poker in a way that made it clear she was having some fun with this-!

"Demons are examples of beings born from such things, back before Science, the many stories the people told about how certain phenomena came to be, once widespread enough, caused the entities of those stories to manifest themselves in reality. They became real, and thus were able to be seen and interacted with, and consequently, belief about them would go on to spread, further affirming their existence... Of course, once something becomes real they are real, it doesn't matter if humans decide reality works a different way later on, the idea behind that entities creation will remain firm in the unconscious, and thus their existence is assured, although exactly how much power they hold may ebb and flow with the beliefs of the people around them... Faith makes and breaks Gods, as it were..."

Another chuckle.

"But this brings us to the next topic I suppose, more aligned to what you asked me earlier, about shifts in the cognition, well..."

She draws smaller circles within the larger circle, and labels these "sub-worlds."

"Consensus Reality is not exactly omnipotent or omniscient... Areas where people gather, such as cities and towns, tend to have their own 'consensus' about reality that differs slightly from the majority, they have stronger thoughts about the area they live in, because they live in it, and thus, their beliefs about it form a little... Bubble of reality, a smaller consensus, a 'sub-world' as it were around the city... This is why urban legends typically only have power inside of their places of origin, local stories can come to life with the thoughts of the locals. But to use an example closer to an outright shift, well, let's say I could convince everyone in a town, through one means or another, that today was actually the 20th of November... If the majority of the town agreed upon that, then for that town, it might as well be the truth, and thus it is, things like weather may even change to what was expected to reflect this belief, it would thus seem to be true, and thus even those that didn't believe it originally would have a reason to do so now, you see?"

She smiles at you, before-!

"However-!"

Slapping the pointer on the table.

"In the modern world this is difficult, people come in and out of cities all the time and that sort of obviously incorrect information would create contradictions with them, things like the internet exist in order to double-check information, there are just so many ways to check what's actually real that it's difficult for most cities to really differ too much from the global consensus... So what you would want is a truly isolated area, one where the local community keeps mostly to itself or has strong unified beliefs, like an island village or some lost community in the woods. If you ever visit those sorts of places as an outsider, it often seems like 'reality' shifts a bit around you... To use my date changing example from earlier, you would literally find yourself walking into what is essentially a different time. Your Personal Reality would conflict with the Consensus, and naturally you would notice the difference, after all, to you, it would still seem like it should be Monday even if everything around you is saying otherwise."

Yep.

A cheerful teacher, that is what this person seems to be...

Pacing back and forth with a smile on her face, jabbing at the board at the appropriate times (mostly appropriate, sometimes she seems to jab it just because) the woman pauses for a moment as if realizing something around this part, going...

"Ah, maybe I'm getting a bit too far from the spirit of the question huh? I'm not boring you am I?"

A brief note of panic, as if she realized she had been rambling, then:

"As far as detecting such a shift goes, well... You are right in that most people wouldn't see it due to the nature of it, it would be as if it was always like that to most of those that were involved, bending the Logic to your will always requires some degree of trickery after all, because the World punishes those that try to directly manipulate it too much, if it finds out about it you tend to be killed by it, but..."

She hums.

"If I wanted to try to find a change... I'd try to compare information with other parts of the World, after all, like I said earlier, the nature of the modern world makes it hard for Global Shifts to occur, tricking a city of people is much easier than tricking most of the people on the planet, and even then you only have to trick the majority... Some people can slip through the cracks, a handful of contradictory reports won't challenge what the majority thinks is real."

...And a mischievous smile appears shortly after...

"If it's your mother attempting this sort of thing you're worried about... Then check to see if she was spreading any rumors around town, or seemed to be trying to instill certain beliefs or doubts into people... If she was going to attempt something like that, she'd do it locally first to make sure it worked before getting any let's say... Bigger ideas in her head."

A moment of silence, then...

"Like, maybe... How she got a certain report of a certain death re-overturned from 'killed in action' to 'missing in action' once again, and wanted all records from the other factions to reflect this, to the point of asking me personally to ensure the NWAB records reflect it... Like she really wants doubt to exist..."

...She shrugs.

"But eh, like I said, cognitive science is a pain. It's playing with fire, a form of 'magic' that will really come back to bite you if you screw it up, and it's really easy to screw it up-!"
    Spoiler:
    Death is nothing but a disease.
    But it is one that often comes from all sides.
    An end like that is coming, and yet here you are.

Tell me.

Could you kill someone you love for the sake of everyone else?

What a cynical worldview, Messiah.
    Real heroes would find a different answer.

Right, right.
    The power to break through a sad reality—
    I wonder—

Will they be able to show it to me?

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lydia
    Main Processing Unit Online
    Partner Condition: 403
    Date: ERROR, Unknown
    Time: ERROR, Unknown

"...Honestly, I'd settle for a decent start."

---In the end, this is Sarah's response to your little rant about the future and happy endings... Indeed, there had been a certain amount of ambiguity in the woman's words earlier, a sense that her definition of a happy ending was perhaps a bit less restrictive than your own, the sort of psyche that goes 'if my family and friends are okay, then I guess it's fine,' or something along those lines, but...

"We haven't accomplished a single thing we set out to do inside this... Complex. It's like we're stuck in the prologue of a particularly twisted story, spinning our wheels in the mud without realizing it."

She sighs.

"Although... This time around things finally started to move forward a little bit, so I want to give it as much time as possible... Not like I ever intend to die anyway, honestly, do I look like someone that likes to lose?"

She chuckles.

"I hate it. Sore loser to the core. I'd rather burn myself up than be killed, just how it is. So hey, why not go for the happy ending too, eh? Xanadu's been obstinate enough to get one once, what's doing it again?"

She says it casually.

Nonchalantly.

It's neither an acceptance or denial of your words, just a commentary on them, but before you can respond-

"...If a happy ending is what you want, you should just stop right now."

-a new voice enters this flower-filled clearing, this bizarre placed called the Astrolabe. It's a voice that offers no sign of it's presence until now, the scattering of flower petals in this massive field the only other sign of someone's entrance, yes-

"Honestly, why are kids these days always so determined to get themselves killed...?"

-it's coming from behind both you and Sarah, and seemed for all the world as if it had literally came out of nowhere-!

Sarah spins reflexively and you're dragged along with her.

The person waiting on the other side is a woman in a lab-coat. Hands in the pockets of her white garment, and with an obvious rosary around her neck, the intelligent eyes that peer at you from beneath this endless twilight do so with absolutely no real emotion in them at all, yes...

---You can't feel anything from this person at all, it's a purposeful emotionless state, like you were looking at some sort of animated doll, but...

While her looks are relatively youthful, the air about her is that of an older woman, somewhere in her thirties? The voice certainly feels like it, deep for a woman, and a bit rough and coarse, as if she had taken up smoking sometime in her past, and indeed, as you both turn to look at her-

"It's particularly brazen coming from you, Sarah Starbright, if you put an end to this, then the things supporting your existence collapse along with it... So blindly suicidal, eager to break the hearts of your family again, or perhaps you just don't think of the feelings of others?"

"Leah... What the hell...?"

Sarah mutters.

-she's already lighting a cigarette, taking in a lungful of the vice between her words...

"The happiest outcome will come if you simply do nothing, understand? Paradise. Salvation. The return of that Device's lost one... It's all just around the corner... Hours away really. No need for any more battles. Just sit here and wait. Doesn't that sound so much better... Lydia?"

Encountered: Leah Ellet
    Last edited by Airen; Today at 08:27 AM.
    Spoiler:
    Death is nothing but a disease.
    But it is one that often comes from all sides.
    An end like that is coming, and yet here you are.

Tell me.

Could you kill someone you love for the sake of everyone else?

What a cynical worldview, Messiah.
    Real heroes would find a different answer.

Right, right.
    The power to break through a sad reality—
    I wonder—

Will they be able to show it to me?

Lydia
    Main Processing Unit Online
    Partner Condition: 403
    Date: ERROR, Unknown
    Time: ERROR, Unknown

"..."

Lydia looks at this stranger, this complete stranger, with a truly dumbfounded expression.

As if she doesn't get what she just said at all, or maybe as if this person before her just said something incredibly staggering.

"I'm sorry, I don't know who you are but that's not how reality works."

She simply states thus, full of confidence as if she knows the full machinations of reality.

"The World is fracturing, and you tell me to wait? Salvation will arrive without doing anything? And here I thought these two were competing who the bigger idiot was."

She may not remember who it was that wielded her, but the circumstances reveal a clear enough picture.

A COMP alone usually can only mean one of two things.

Either she had just awakened to bond to a soul for as long as they could keep that bond alive. This however was clearly not the case, as she had already formed a personality, a form to call her own, a voice with which to air her views, an armor to protect her wielder.

Meaning she likely found herself in the second possibility... that she had outlasted her User. A feeling she had silently accepted, as sentiments of a past she has forgotten still dwell in her mind, especially after seeing Lara.

A person she has a strong resemblance to, even if only appearance-wise seemingly. That had stated her purpose for being here to be one of very personal reasons.

Thus Lydia concluded that she had lost her partner, as Lara came her with her own intentions about this User's demise.

So revealing that her bonded partner was lost doesn't faze the lone COMP. She had known that all along, and is strong enough to not it drag her down.

No, instead she focuses on the words this stranger offers.

"You can keep whatever Salvation it is that's offered. Being saved while doing nothing only means one thing."

Standing in front of Sarah now, as she couldn't help but get a little protective when she hears this wonderous fool is risking her existence for her girlfriend.

"That you're not saved at all. That you weren't worthy to be saved in the first place. No one is saved by doing nothing, people toil and struggle and fight with their own two hands to forge their own fate. Their own ending... If you take away their struggle, simply being saved by another, their struggle would become meaningless. I refuse to accept that, and I refuse whatever salvation awaits, as I'm sure he did."

She's... genuinely mad.

"Shove that paradise up your ass, don't you dare stop these fools... Or I'll get real nasty."