• Housewife Emiya-kun

66 51.56%
  • Dead-fish-eyed Kerry-san

6 4.69%
  • Straight-faced Hakuno

19 14.84%
  • "Cardboard" Sieg

8 6.25%
  • Ayaka (or someone else from SF cuz Narita)

8 6.25%
  • Gacha Slave Guda

10 7.81%
  • Other

11 8.59%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fate MC

JP Friend Code
    im still trying to figure out why he has a beard

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennajayfeather View Post
    Bacause Bara

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jennajayfeather View Post
    And because he's not Faker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    My stance has always been that was Urobutchi's low-key stroke of genius, having the most jolly & likeable character in the series possibly being the biggest monster. He definitely is inspiring, and there is something to his rhetoric of people having a leader they can look up to. It's not as if having a character flaw cancels out your strengths, or vice versa.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    My stance has always been that was Urobutchi's low-key stroke of genius, having the most jolly & likeable character in the series possibly being the biggest monster. He definitely is inspiring, and there is something to his rhetoric of people having a leader they can look up to. It's not as if having a character flaw cancels out your strengths, or vice versa.
    I wouldn't say he's the biggest monster, or really even a monster, but he is unnerving precisely because he's super jolly, yet also embodies the worst of human avarice. Not any monstrous traits, just human excess.

Gilgamesh is more of a monster because his frame of view is less human IMO.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Forgot to mention, BUT tyrant he may have been, Fate/Iskandar had real positive impact on Waver, Taiga, and to a very arguable extent, Saber (this gets into which came first and whether it counts or not).
    Zero is a critique of SN that ends in reconciliation because Urobuchi loves SN.
    Iskander exemplifies that.
    Kiritsugu's condemnation of Saber in vol 3 is also a condemnation of Iskander.
    Last edited by You; April 26th, 2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Ah, I see now. Thanks You.

consider only the following, if nothing else:

- the fz argument was never about which king was "right" in any ethical, moral, or pragmatic sense of the word
    - the fz argument was about what each of the three characters believed the ideal of kingship encompassed - what a "king" should be
    - conventional morality charges all three characters with tyrannical rules embroiled in constant war and/or rife with the suffering of the common people, whose ironclad sense of righteousness alienated their subjects and consigned their kingdoms to ruin after their passing
    - there was no right or wrong answer to kingship between them because the fact that they're enshrined as heroic paragons and humanity's exemplars validated their actions and ideals in the logic of the setting - heroic spirits are sublimations of "goodness" and "rightness" and no one who fails in these requirements can qualify
    - their noble phantasms, crystallisations of their essential qualities, were in this specific instance emblematic of their beliefs regarding kingship - their manifestation was in itself a validation, an "argument" that their way of thinking had a factual basis
    - aionioi hetairoi proved that the king who leads conquers and lives more fully than anyone can create unbreakable bonds with his subjects, ea demonstrated the might of an inimitable king who stands above all and whose word is universal law, excalibur embodied the idea of a king who can take upon themselves the burden of their subjects' hopes and dreams and sacrifice themselves for them - they were all "proof" that each of these ways of kingship is valid
    - the way that urobuchi "bullies" sabre is what in the case of literature we call character development; she started out with regrets over the results of her actions and after being confronted with situations that challenged her ideals - the banquet, the dark mirror of kiritsugu's idealism, diarmuid's downfall from honour, lancelot's hatred and madness towards her - these regrets became doubts and spread to the core of her beliefs - no longer a matter of ceding kingship to someone who could avert britain's ruin but of her own way of kingship being fundamentally mistaken
    - narita, scholar that he is, has this to say to you, the reader:
    Spoiler:
    As the three kings drank together, they each king shared their own perspective.
    The golden Hero King said, "The path of a king is based on the rules he himself sets up."
    The red haired Conqueror King said, "The starting point of kingship is one's own body. Conquer and overrun all the wealth and knowledge from far and wide.
    And the azure and argent Knight King said, "For a king to save their country, they should sacrifice themselves on the road of righteous ideals."
    The Knight King also proclaimed the wish she entrusted the Holy Grail.
    "I want to return to the time when I drew the sword of selection. If there is someone who would be a more appropriate king, I shall hand it over to this person so they may redo Britian's history."
    She had heard about King Arthur's choice to take up the sword of selection from Richard's mother, telling him bedtime stories.
    It seemed the Knight King thought if there was better person than she, who ended up destroying her country, they they ought to carry the burden of kingship.
    However, upon hearing the Knight King's words the Conqueror King smoldered in anger and the golden king laughed.
    Full of anger, the Conqueror King refuted her by saying she had "responded her nation's prayers for salvation," and "a selfless king cannot lead a nation. Citizens do not yearn for a slave to righteousness."
    -"Sacrificing everything about yourself for what is correct. There's no person who can live like that."
    -"Conqueror King, are you saying the rule of one who stops being human is inferior to that of a human?"
    -"Kuku. O'Knight King, then you would be forcing your way beyond what is human, to the realm of the gods."
    -"Why are you laughing Hero King. If that was possible with a human body, why hesitate?"
    -"Really? I know a goddess, whose unreasonable incarnation tried to rule a country according to what she believed was right."
    -"Hey, Knight King. I know I might have been called a descendant of Zeus, but..."
    -"The path that follows the righteousness of a god ends with you screening your own nation."
    "AYAKA.... look at the Knight King... Don't you see a hero?"
    "Eh?"
    "As for me, Ayaka. I already know the legend of the Round Table, how the king is betrayed, how unreasonable things happened, how at the last moment she was worn-out and lost everything. But, I admire even those parts."
    As AYAKA tilts her head, Richard begins to speak slowly as if a boy talking about his favorite baseball team.
    "And its not like the other two kings denied the Knight King's answer in the banquet."
    "Eh? But, with that much shouting..."
    "Think carefully. It was just because Alexander the Great was angry. He never denied the Knight King's royal path. There was a lot of talk about her being a figurehead idol, but he never denied the idol herself. It's simple, he was saying "I'll acknowledge your achievements but I don't like it.""
    Far from distracted, Richard spoke much more calmly than ever and AYAKA said surprised.
    "Is that... so?"
    "This is second-hand from my mother but, "The king does not walk the royal path; the people who walk that path are known as the nation." Depending on the era and the geography, the nation and vassals' moods, morality and everything else easily shifts. That's why there's no right answer to that conversation, and above all, the three who participated are the ones who should understand that the most. We are trying to infer their reasoning, not determine how right they are."
    While grandly standing, Richard offered a joke to AYAKA.
    "Well, there was one thing our Knight King lacked compared to the others. Her voice was too small! I would approve and deny any king's intentions! After all, it's natural for who was born in a different land, in a different time to have their own royal intentions! But the guy who said "I was the one who was right!" at the end was strong. He reminded me of that Crusader, Phillip."
    "Without talk of morality, I'll praise your conviction!"
    He realized he was shouting.
    Unable to contain the overflowing thoughts, he shouted in delight as he ran up the hotel at high speed.
    "That's why I admire you! No matter how angry the Conqueror King! No matter how mocking the ancient Hero King!"
    Richard actually understood the source of the Conqueror King's anger. He was fond of Alexander but could not deny King Arthur's will. After all, the royal path the Lionhearted King walks is completely different from those three.
    That's why he celebrates.
    It is belief in the ideal the Knight King embraced that forms his chivalry.
    "I will affirm my chivalry, spun from my ideals, until it results in the fruits of my subjects returning to nothing. That is my tyranny; the proof of my kingship!"
    Richard asserts that he believes the Knight King's "sacrificing oneself for her ideals" is "tyranny" and proclaims it commendable.
    Hearing that voice, the police look on in wonderment. AYAKA lets out a big sigh, "how just like him," and smiles.
    "...But o' Great King Arthur. You've been worrying too much about one thing."
    Saber's face was slightly clouded as he stated his concern, and as if offering counsel to someone not present, recited his thoughts.
    "O'Ancestral king to mine chivalry! You have not noticed! The country the Round Table constructed, the Round Table destroyed, does not need to be remade!"
    "For King Arthur has guided us to Avalon!"
    [...]
    "The royal path you walked was never wrong!"
    Saber kicked off from the rooftop and soared high into the sky.
    "The pride and the royal path the Round Table left us is what created us. Their tragedy and ruin shaped our souls! The glory of humanity, chivalry, is eternal. It shall never fall. Let me sing that to the Round Table and yourself!"

- from the above, take this: a hero isn't someone who did everything right, succeeded in all things and was loved by everyone; a hero is someone whose stories, their actions and ideals, reflect fundamental human values and inspire admiration and emulation - even if by those very same actions and ideals they eventually fell to ruin, failed miserably and died
    - there are both textual and metatextual nuances that preclude absolute moral judgments from being made in a vacuum, who woulda thunk
    - the fate of the three kings in their capacity as characters derived quite neatly from the philosophies they espoused: altria was driven to despair by her ideals (wow, same as kerry, what did uro mean by this), alexander's timeless bonds were severed along with his life (amazing, almost like a dream that disappears when the dreamer awakens) and gilgamesh remained entirely static and unaffected because the perversion of his immutable nature happens in the context of fsn
    - the "bashing", "edge", and "grimderp" in fz derive from a disinclination to the author's themes, but the events and characters in it are perfectly in line with nasu's worldview and in some cases undergo necessary developments in order to align with their representation in fsn
    - characters aren't people, they're props in a story, vehicles of theme and actors of creative vision, for the love of god

man, how do I put this, it's a useful thought exercise to maybe sometimes consider the characters within the context of the work itself, you'll find that things start making more sense when examined as elements of a story rather than as decontextualised subjects of black-and-white moralising, yeah?
    Last edited by Leftovers; June 8th, 2020 at 07:46 PM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    That won't necessarily stop.

The indignation over offended moral sensibility. That itself I understand.

It's just missing the point. I'm smiling a little on how you are detailed explanation and You is the tl;dr.

You must understand, a decade of bad Zero takes is a decade taken out of my lifespan.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    man, bad takes is what fuels this industry

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I thought Urobuchi was slowly moving away from the grimdark edgelord crap, unless I'm super wrong about that.
    I'd say that for the most part he already did. Although SIN still has the Koyanskaya torture scene for no real reason.

As far as I know, the only thing that always stays the same with Urobuchi is every single one of his stories being "Utilitarism is stupid and here's why".

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    The Tayunskapon torture scene was the best part of SIN though.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    The author persona always struck me as a bitter man that can't let go of hope

That afterword perfectly encapsulates everything Urobuchi wants to do.

月日は百代の過客にして、行かふ年も又旅 人也。 Benderesco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    - characters aren't people, they're props in a story, vehicles of theme and actors of creative vision, for the love of god

man, how do I put this, it's a useful thought exercise to maybe sometimes consider the characters within the context of the work itself, you'll find that things start making more sense when examined as elements of a story rather than as decontextualised subjects of black-and-white moralising, yeah?
    The point of the entire discussion is not to profess the righteousness of a supposed "universal morality", but to argue that the work's own chosen moral compass is rather immature. In other words, it is a criticism of the "creative vision" itself, not of the characters in a vacuum - an argument about whether the characters were capably written within that moral framework the text chose for itself. Regardless of judgments on how "correct" a moral view is (I can't emphasize this enough), Urobochi's (and Nasu's, for that matter) approach to this subject is narrow and uninteresting - that's the point of all these complaints about the Banquet of Kings (speaking for myself here - don't know if all those dissatisfied with the scene will say the same).

I feel I should clarify something here: as far as morality goes, I am a post-modern. Within the context of a fictional work, however, I tend to like it when anything that enters that realm and decides takes a clear stance on it tries to remain remotely consistent, which I can't for the life of me say has happened here. In fact, the "validation" you speak of is another issue entirely, since using it to defend a character's standing on anything (not saying that's what you are doing, because you obviously aren't) paints a dangerous road towards turning that character into a mere archetype - which, given the limitations of the works we are discussing, would render them utterly bland.

With that in mind, approach Iskandar again and apply his discourse to the reality surrounding the characters. That point of view comes with clear consequences that, if properly explored, would render him a much more interesting character. The way he is portrayed, though, all those elements are simply glossed over in favor of allowing him to voice his views almost completely unchallenged, and the consequences you speak of are almost nonexistent in the text itself; in fact, you could say he was the only one of the 3 kings whose convictions were never really trampled on. The text itself grants the character a veneer of wisdom that shatters under proper examination.

To sum it up, Uro's goal might have been larger than just showcasing Iskandar's beliefs, but arguing that entails taking a macro approach when it is simply not needed. Regardless of anything else, Iskandar's discourse was just poorly written.

I can't speak for the whole segment with Ayaka, since that comes from Fate/Strange Fake, which poses two problems:

1 - I haven't read it yet
    2 - It isn't actually Urobochi's work. I agree that it is an interesting INTERPRETATION of the whole scene, but as you put it, the "scholar" here is Narita. If nothing else, it seems to be enriching the text with things that were simply not there originally.

I have no objections whatsoever to your other points - especially the whole thing with Kerry/Sabre/whatever. Those were much better written, especially Kerry. And, interestingly enough, I actually believe Saber's REACTION to the Banquet of Kings was interesting (could have been better, but meh, what's good is good). Urobochi did a good job there.
    Last edited by Benderesco; April 27th, 2020 at 02:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    100 faced Hassan won the banquet of kings. made a stand against tyranny on pure principle. no i will not explain this. fuck off
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No, the win conditions for a banquet are eating and having a good time. Hassan did neither. The real winner of the banquet of kings is Gilgamesh because laughed his ass off 30 minutes uninterrupted.

Blog Entries
    wine is haram
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

月日は百代の過客にして、行かふ年も又旅 人也。 Benderesco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    100 faced Hassan won the banquet of kings. made a stand against tyranny on pure principle. no i will not explain this. fuck off
    I love you for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    No, the win conditions for a banquet are eating and having a good time. Hassan did neither. The real winner of the banquet of kings is Gilgamesh because laughed his ass off 30 minutes uninterrupted.
    He also provided the drinks. Instant winner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    No they didn't. They sacrificed themselves on tyranny's altar.