Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2631343536373841 ... LastLast

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Price of Victory (HP/FSN CYOA)

[X] ...yes. Whatever has happened, and whatever might come, let's at least try.

Glad to have this back and running. Anyways, this one I don't think I need to really state a case here.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]...yes.Whatever has happened, and whatever might come, let's at least try.

[ ] I'm sorry. The man you loved is dead and it would be wrong to give you hope when there's none to have (No, let's have a clean break).

[x]...yes, Whatever has happened, and whatever might come, let's at least try.

If we want Shinji to be more in tune with his human nature, i believe that to be attached to something that was important to him is a good way to do it. And i believe that Luna's influence will be a positive one.

Also, i think that their relationship will actually upgrade from these experiences. Shinji is trying to rediscover himself, and in doing so he will be more self aware, and so, he will be a better companion for Luna, who in turn is one of the few people who can actually understand and care about him enough to help him in balancing his mind. It is mutually beneficial.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 198: [x]...yes.Whatever has happened, and whatever might come, let's at least try.

Choice 199:
    Luna smiles slightly at that.

"I'm glad," she says simply. "In that case..." She trails off.

"Yes?" Shinji prompts her.

"Well, I have a request then."

"What is it?"

Luna hesitates, before taking a breath and nodding to herself.

"I've heard that you plan to enter Tohsaka's mind," she says at last. "To try and put the broken pieces of her back together again."

"...that's right," Shinji replies, not quite sure where Luna is going with this.

"Don't."

"Eh?" Shinji blinked, taken aback by the seriousness - and terseness - of her tone.

"That is...please reconsider," Luna rephrased. "I don't...I don't want you to put yourself at unnecessary risk when there is another way."

"There is?" the boy questioned. That bit of information was new.

"While I was in Mahoutokoro, I heard about what happened to Tohsaka. I spoke to the Maiden, asking what could be done to help, and she told me that there was a way to use the Tree to help rebuild Tohsaka's mind."

"Oh?" Shinji asked, intrigued. "What would this entail?"

"You would have to speak to the Maiden for specifics, but I think it was something about using the dream world within the Tree to help her relive the last few years of her life," Luna mentioned slowly.

"At what cost?" Shinji wondered. There was always a cost, after all.

"...she will lose her memories of you. All of them, for good or for ill," Luna related. "And you will owe the Maiden a favor."

The boy grimaced. He was indebted to enough parties already without owing something to the defacto ruler of Magical Japan, but...

"Unless there's some special meaning to the memories you had with her, and that's why you want to enter her mind?" the girl asked.

"I...no, you're wrong. I don't - it's not like I like her or anything," Shinji denied, though Luna didn't seem entirely convinced.

"Then will you change your mind?"

What does Shinji say?

[ ] Yes. Now that there's an alternative, maybe that would be for the best
    [ ] No. He's made up his mind, and that won't change
    [ ] Well, if he thinks about it..maybe it isn't his problem. Tohsaka made her choices, let her suffer the consequences. If she wants to be fixed, she can seek out help herself. He's done wasting effort on her.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 13th, 2020 at 12:00 AM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[ ] Well, if he thinks about it..maybe it isn't his problem. Tohsaka made her choices, let her suffer the consequences. If she wants to be fixed, she can seek out help herself. He's done wasting effort on her.

[x] Yes. Now that there's an alternative, maybe that would be for the best

There's no guarantee that Shinji's journey through her mind would restore Rin completly, and probably it is for the best for Rin to forget about her absolutely toxic relationship with Shinji. Also, much less risk involved, so i consider it a win-win. But i don't want a option that disregards Rin completly, and instead i choose this option that sides more with his human side and more filled with empathy, wich comes out of a genuine want to help her.

Also, i think it goes smooth with Luna, as one of the aspects she sees in the old Shinji and he doesn't realize is that he is a good person. Even if this means empathy towards Rin, she would understand it, and it would mean the old Shinji is still there in a way, influencing his behavior.
    Last edited by EmperorBR; December 14th, 2020 at 01:54 PM.

[ ] No. He's made up his mind, and that won't change
    Last edited by Addam; December 14th, 2020 at 10:47 PM.

Its not my desired solution to this hot mess but its the best we got of a bad situation. Rin gets to be strong in the end, but we lose all the gains with her that we have made in the entire CYOA and have to start over as a stranger if you want any friendship or respect from her. I can respect that Luna might be in a better place to judge how to help Rin than Shinji is.

I fucking hate seriously dislike this choice, but it achieves what we desire on several fronts.

- Shows our determination to make the relationship with Luna work.
    - Makes Shinji/us sacrifice something to take responsibility for his/ours, frankly, disastrous treatment of Rin.
    - Actually goes for a reasonable non-suicidal plan, for once.
    - And, finally, brings closure to this unhealthy and dividing issue for us as players. The arguments have lasted for years by this point, burning out the motivation to participate for everyone involved

But, well. It still feels like running away.
    Last edited by Malorius; December 15th, 2020 at 03:50 AM.

[x]​Yes. Now that there's an alternative, maybe that would be for the best

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 199: [x] Yes. Now that there's an alternative, maybe that would be for the best

Choice 200:
    "I will at least look into it," Shinji responded, nodding thoughtfully. "Before, I didn't know that it was possible to fix Tohsaka without putting myself in danger, but now that I do..." He trailed off. "Well, I trust you, and I trust the Maiden."

That, and he had responsibilities to his others. Responsibilities to his squad (such as it was). Responsibilities to Lockhart (who he owed a debt to). Responsibilities to Atlas (since he had presumed upon their name in the past, and Sokaris was expecting him to learn something this year). Responsibilities to...to become a better person than the past Matou Shinji, even if he was the inheritor of all that Shinji left behind.

That Matou Shinji had never learned that he didn't have to do everything himself, after all - had never really relied on others more than he had to. And that past self's certainty that he was correct had cost him dearly. If the past Matou Shinji had been more willing to listen to others' advice, would he have made as many enemies as he had? Would he have found himself at odds with the boy who had once been his oldest friend? Would he have ended up dying on the island?

'Maybe...but then again, maybe not.'

It was always hard to know what would have transpired had another set of choices been taken, as one choice would inevitably affect the next, and the next, and the next after that, until the result would be utterly unrecognizable. And he couldn't say the past Shinji's choices had all been bad - his predecessor had achieved great things, after all, if at a terrible cost. Still...

'I am Matou Shinji, but I don't have to be exactly like the Matou Shinji of before. After all, no one is exactly the same today as they were yesterday. All of us change based on our choices and our experiences...'

"Thanks," he added.

His reward was a brilliant, unclouded smile.

"Thank you, for trusting me," Luna replied softly. "I guess I don't have to evict you from my house now," she joked, though gently enough that there was no real sting in it. "Since apparently, it is mine now, given...everything."

"Oh, right yes, that," Shinji grunted, scratching the back of his head. "I, uh...I forgot to mention that little bit, but I was going to. I swear."

"Well, you are careless about mentioning things on occasion," Luna noted. "Then as well as now. Anything else you forgot to say?"

"Well, since I won't be living there for most of the year, Lockhart did offer to lease the house to use as housing for any foreign ambassadors," the boy related. "I did say I couldn't answer that and had to discuss it with you."

"Good of you."

"Mm."

"So, what would you suggest? Should I lease it to Lockhart?"

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No
    [ ] It is your choice, as it is your house.

Choice 201: Why?

[ ] Write-in
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[ ] It is your choice, as it is your house

[X] Yes

[X] Unless Luna has plans for the use of the majority of the house, Shinji has no immediate need for the house as his squad and himself will be housed in one of the barracks of Albion, so that his squad integrates with the rest of Albion forces better. By leasing the idle mansion, they are helping to provide a very safe place for international observers/ambassadors, as they are certainly a high profile target for the Ministry. A good international standing for Albion must be maintained and Albion has offered to pay or offer services for the use of the house to accomplish this.

I think this sums up the reasoning I think we were going for. while also informing Luna of the choices Shinji has already made such as bunking at the barracks. I thought about tossing in ideas to Luna for what they could get for leasing the house but decided that is best to just wait for when it will be handle in the next vote if we pass a Yes vote here.

[x]Yes

[x]Unless Luna has plans for the use of the majority of the house, Shinji has no immediate need for the house as his squad and himself will be housed in one of the barracks of Albion, so that his squad integrates with the rest of Albion forces better. By leasing the idle mansion, they are helping to provide a very safe place for international observers/ambassadors, as they are certainly a high profile target for the Ministry. A good international standing for Albion must be maintained and Albion has offered to pay or offer services for the use of the house to accomplish this.

[X] Yes

[jk] It's free money for you, why not?

What a major, world-shaking choice, this. Who knows what terrible, impactful consequences it will bring? Maybe one day, when our very life - nay, the fate of the whole Albion! - hinges on it, the lack of a safe harbor to house our allies in the close access will bring our downfall; all in exchange for a handful of coins and a condescending approval received right now... But such is life.

*Cough*

[x] SL's carefully crafted reasoning

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 200: [x] Yes

Choice 201: [x] SL's reasoning.

Choice 202:As Shinji and his squad will not be living in the luxuriously appointed manor house in London, but in the housing that have been constructed for members of the Home Guard, and it is likely that the manor house may be leased to Albion, it is probably a good idea to begin the process of moving. That being said, Shinji has little idea of what to expect from one of Albion's custom-constructed barracks, given that the building he shared with the goblins at WADA was...less than inspiring, with bunk beds and all.

...thus, he is actually quite surprised to see that the barracks are closer in form to an apartment building, if one located in an underground cavern connected by tunnels to Albion HQ. The grounds included a nicely cultivated park space, with walking paths, some water features, and even a goodly amount of lighting, with an enchanted ceiling that made it seem as if one was outside - much as was present at the Great Hall of Hogwarts.

'Goblin-make then,'
    he noted, though it didn't seem exactly like interior of the bank. 'Odd that they have a light mist around the edges, especially at the tunnel entrances, though...' Could it be Thief's Downfall? He supposed that he couldn't fault Lockhart for having something to prevent infiltrators from entering, or to disrupt hostile enchantments on anyone who had managed to get this far.

Certainly he didn't think they would have bluebirds flying about in the sk--

'...wait a minute.'

...the boy revised his estimations of how heavily defended this place was if Miss Suoirtsulli had her familiars about the place. Or maybe she lived here? He asked as much of Weiss, who was showing him the barracks, with the petite girl confirming that the elegant woman had quarters here.

They moved on then to the interior of the building, with Shinji finding that the atrium he entered to be surprisingly airy and spacious, centered around a rather grand-looking tree, with the walls of the chamber covered with either green or cascading water.

From there, the building split into several wings, with one intended as common spaces where people could study, socialize, work out or eat (as the cafeteria was there), while the others were residences, with a squad assigned to each floor. Apparently, most members of the Home Guard would be assigned to the equivalent of two–bedroom apartments with single occupancy per bedroom, which included separate sleeping rooms with private closets, though the occupants of each apartment would share a single bathroom and a small service kitchenette.

Given his previous experience with a barracks, he was quite shocked, and said as much, with Weiss notifying him that what he saw at WADA would only usually be seen for fresh recruits undergoing training or during short-term deployments. There was nothing to be lost from keeping people comfortable, after all.

"So I will sharing a room with someone then?" he asked.

"Only if you choose. Squad Leaders, as well as those of higher rank, may have a room to themselves, with the quality of one's amenities and accommodations improving with one's rank."

"I'm guessing Tomas has quite a decent room then?" Shinji joked.

"Supreme Commander Peverell lives in the equivalent of what you would call a penthouse suite," came the response, with Shinji blinking as he processed first the rebuke for his informality and then the fact that the automaton actually had luxurious quarters in a military dormitory.

'...I suppose rank does have its privileges,' he mused, already regretting the fact that he'd chosen not to stay in the manor. Hopefully the place he would be assigned to was somewhat decent? "And what kind of accommodations am I eligible for?"

"Well, you may have a apartment to yourself, with a living room, bathroom, kitchenette, and bedroom. Or you may share with your future Second in Command, if desired."

[ ] Live by yourself
    [ ] Share an apartment

Choice 203
    : What will you bring with you from your Penthouse?

[ ] Everything you can. No sense leaving things behind in your "suite" if you're not going to be using it
    [ ] Just the essentials, to show solidarity with one's squad and to promote a more spartan mindset
    [ ] A balance - enough to be comfortable, not enough to clutter the mind

Choice 204: As squad leader, you get to determine your subordinates housing assignments. Two people may be assigned to one apartment. Emilia already has her own room, and does not require an assignment. (Available members: Draco, Nines, Luvia, Rin, Goblin, Andreas)

[ ] Please write in roommate assignments

[ ] Share an apartment
    [ ] A balance - enough to be comfortable, not enough to clutter the mind

[x] Andreas with Shinji
    [x] Luvia with Magus Rin
    [x] Nines with Goblin
    [x] Draco
    Last edited by Addam; January 22nd, 2021 at 09:38 PM.

[X] Share an apartment (with Andresa)

This is super important to me. If we want Shinji to learn leadership from Andresa and for him to act as a role model for Shinji, pairing the two together benfits us and Andresa in turn. After all you give a space for Andresa to see Shinji's work such as Ofuda that he must be interested by now. Plus it gives a private space for the two to talk stuff that should not be done in front of the team such as when Andresa might have to tell Shinji he is wrong or bring up sensitive issues.

[X] A balance - enough to be comfortable, not enough to clutter the mind

No real strong opinion here. But I figure that if we are rooming with Andresa that the everything option will be too much for Andresa, yet spartan seems a very odd pick given the rank here. I doubt that other people of equal rank would pick spartan if they had any means otherwise. Certainly it seems pointless to do so when I highly doubt that Rin or Luvia will live spartan like.

[X] Shinji-Andresa
    Nines-Luvia
    Draco-Goblin
    Rin

I am fairly certain that a perfect combo does not exist but there is a few combos that I just can't live with. Mostly Rin-Luvia, we want this place to be standing. Lets not pair to two together. This version of Rin is fairly hard to pair with anyone. Nines might be able to accept most people but I paired him with Luvia cause we decided in Choice 189 to inform Luvia of Nines being Zelkova. So it makes sense that if she going to be in the know for the two to room together.

Draco-Goblin is a risky explosive pairing I admit placing a racist goblin with a wizard and not just any wizard but the son of their enemy. But Draco is the medic and the goblin is not in a good mental place after WADA, Draco would be better to give support than say cold as ice Rin. And if we are serious about getting wizards and goblins to work together, then we need them to work out their differences NOW and learn from each other asap. So its risky but if we take the hard knocks that will come from placing them together I think we gain a lot from pairing them together. It will not be easy but I think they both need their eyes opened. But go ahead and argue against this risk, I understand.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 12th, 2021 at 09:18 PM.

[x]Live by yourself
    [x]A balance-enough to be comfortable, not enough to clutter the mind
    [x]Andreas-Rin
    Nines-Luvia
    Goblin-Draco

I think Shinji is best served by having a place to himself. If he needs to invite Mashu or some other important guest over it is more convenient to have place for himself. If he needs to plan stuff with Andreas he could invite him up no need to share place with him.
    I'm alright with Rin pairing up with Andreas or Goblin. Both would not desire Rin and most likely be able to live in harmony.
    Nines and Luvia pairing up seems best since he has to debrief her.
    Goblin and Draco for SL's reason.