Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 33384142434445 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 916

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Price of Victory (HP/FSN CYOA)

  1. #841
    Onirique Daiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,865
    Blog Entries
    6
    [x] Frame it as a way to build camaraderie among the officers of the Home Guard

    First choice, because that was my plan all along.

    Second choice, because kicking out Albion's guests (which are mainly there to build a better relationship with Magical Britain) will not look good. It's like Albion is trying to requisition a building which was lent for the ambassadors to use as they please (when Shinji and George could have used the HQ grounds to train). I get that people want privacy but I don't think the repercussions are worth the risk.

    You're basically sabotaging the public reputation of Albion for the sake of a spar with a colleague.

    Shinji was technically put on Homeguard duty in order to restore his reputation too, not the opposite. We don't need more people angry at him, and certainly not those whom we work for and those we risk our lives with.

    If you guys want to go for a write-in on the second, please keep what I mentioned in mind.

    EDIT: after discussing the second choice on discord and getting the green light for a write-in from Alf;

    [x] Ask the guests if it would be acceptable for the Homeguard leaders to borrow the training ground for some private sparring and apologize for the inconvenience it would cause in advance. If the place is already in use, the two of them don't mind waiting and observing - if allowed - or scheduling a spot for later.
    Last edited by Daiki; November 12th, 2021 at 08:28 PM.

  2. #842
    Switch vote to write in.

    [x] Ask the guests if it would be acceptable for the Homeguard leaders to borrow the training ground for some private sparring and apologize for the inconvenience it would cause in advance. If the place is already in use, the two of them don't mind waiting and observing - if allowed - or scheduling a spot for later.

  3. #843
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,365
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    Choice 250: [x] Frame it as work. We asked for her due to being a commanding officer, may as well be direct.
    Choice 251:
    [x] Ask the guests if it would be acceptable for the Homeguard leaders to borrow the training ground for some private sparring and apologize for the inconvenience it would cause in advance. If the place is already in use, the two of them don't mind waiting and observing - if allowed - or scheduling a spot for later.




    Choice 252:
    The current denizens of the house are surprised to have visitors this early in the morning, as they were given to understand that the manor had been set aside for the use of the delegations sent to Albion. That is - it was to be the equivalent of Embassy Row - and thus, not subject to unannounced visits or requisitions of space by officers of Albion. And while neither the Ambassadors of Japan or France had any personal animus against Matou Shinji (being reasonably well-disposed towards him, all things considered, and quite happy with the facilities he had made available for their use), the fact remained that two officers of Albion's armed forces were now at the Manor, not simply requesting to share the training facilities or to cross-train with them, but to displace the foreign dignitaries from their space.

    ...all while Albion's officers already had training facilities they could use in their newly constructed HQ. The ambassadors and their aides knew this, given that they had been given tours of the new building.

    "Vy do you need zis space, Matou?" Lestrange asked, correctly guessing that he was the one who had chosen to come to this place. "Do you not 'ave your own space to use at 'eadquarters?"

    Miss Kirishima, Kohaku's bodyguard, stays silent, but regards Matou Shinji with an even expression, wanting him to explain himself.

    How does Shinji answer?

    [ ] (write-in)

    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

  4. #844
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    429
    [x]Since this Mansion's wards were reinforced by my sensei, i am fully aware of what the wards can take to contain damage as they are top of the line. The fighting areas of Albion are an unknown and likely not as reinforced as the Mansion wards which were made while keeping in mind my...destructive nature when going all out, in order to push past my limits. i don't want to wreck a second Headquarter, they might start billing me.
    Last edited by Dracueri; November 13th, 2021 at 05:28 PM.

  5. #845
    [X] Since the mansion's wards were reinforced by my sensei, I am fully aware of what the wards can take to contain damage as they are top of the line. The fighting areas of Albion are a unknown and likely not as reinforced as the mansions wards were made as there were made in mind my...destructive nature when I go all out, in order to push past my limits. I don't want to wreck a second Headquarters, they might start billing me.

    Best argument I can make is that these wards Shinji knows their limits and ability to contain his destructive nature. Which is true given that the ministry did not do well after Shinji fought there. In reality its a bit of a BS sell in that Shinji just doesn't have the dragon or the wrecking ability of fusion to do his most destructive moves. But it is what it is and is still fairly believable even if I have to have Shinji throw himself under the bus a bit for this to work.

    But its the price to pay for wanting this fight to be private. It would have been a far easier sell to just have them behind barriers.​
    Last edited by Skull Leader; November 13th, 2021 at 05:21 PM.

  6. #846
    [X] Since the mansion's wards were reinforced by my sensei, I am fully aware of what the wards can take to contain damage as they are top of the line. The fighting areas of Albion are a unknown and likely not as reinforced as the mansions wards were made as there were made in mind my...destructive nature when I go all out, in order to push past my limits. I don't want to wreck a second Headquarters, they might start billing me

  7. #847
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,365
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    Choice 252: [X] Since the mansion's wards were reinforced by my sensei, I am fully aware of what the wards can take to contain damage as they are top of the line. The fighting areas of Albion are a unknown and likely not as reinforced as the mansions wards were made as there were made in mind my...destructive nature when I go all out, in order to push past my limits. I don't want to wreck a second Headquarters, they might start billing me.




    Choice 253:
    Rachelle Lestrange was not someone who usually suffered fools lightly, and so had a rather skeptical look on her face as Shinji spun his tale, saying something about Albion HQ likely not being reinforced to the mansion's standards, and how he couldn't risk sparring there, lest he wreck the place.

    "You claim zat if you vent all out, you vould destroy 'eadquarters?" she echoed, blinking. She didn't find the claim particularly credible, despite how Matou's fight in the old Ministry had resulted in the destruction of the structure, especially since the two officers were supposedly just going to spar, not engaging in a fight to the death.

    "Might be possible," came an answer from a surprising source, as Miss Kirishima responded in Matou's stead. "I could certainly do that kind of damage if I went all out."

    "You could?" Shinji asked before he could help himself. He wasn't familiar with Miss Kirishima's abilities, but given that she was from Mahoutokoro, he was prepared to be open to the possibility.

    "My destructive potential is not quite on par with Miss Suoirtsulli's, but yes, I could," Miss Kirishima replied, the corners of her mouth curling up ever so slightly.

    "...noted," the Japanese boy said, mentally revising his estimate of just how dangerous Lockhart's secretary was yet again. He knew she was quite powerful, from her confrontation with Tohsaka, and from what she'd done at WADA, but that level of destruction...

    "I'm going to want to spar against her at some point," George drawled, his voice almost casual. Almost - since Shinji could detect more than a hint of curiosity and excitement. "Also, against you, if you would be interested in testing your skills against mine."

    "That could be arranged, though I would need certain assurances that you would be capable of surviving such an encounter. I do not wish to be responsible for the death of an officer of Albion," Miss Kirishima noted, raising an eyebrow.

    George narrowed his eyes.

    "...death, you say?" he asked, unable to keep from glancing over at Lestrange as he said the word - something Shinji didn't miss. "How intriguing. If you are curious about my abilities, and whether or not I can withstand your power, I don't mind if you watch." He paused. "Though I can't guarantee your safety if you do, of course."

    "I doubt you would be able to even scratch me if you tried your best," Miss Kirishima sniffed. "But if you are so concerned, I think Miss Lestrange would not mind setting up a barrier? If you believe her magic is capable of withstanding yours, at least."

    Shinji was expecting George to say something biting in reply, which was why he was surprised with what came next?

    "L-lestrange, you say?"

    "Indeed," Miss Kirishima confirmed. "I believe you have some confidence in her abilities, given your glance at her?"

    For a moment, Shinji could have sworn that he saw something like irritation flitter across Fleur's expression, but it was gone when he looked closer, so he chalked it up to him just imagining things.

    "...I will admit she is capable," George allowed. "I suppose I would not mind if she were to watch either."

    Shinji sighed.

    "I had kind of been hoping for a more private match between myself and George, as we hadn't seen each other for a long time, and we wanted to...catch up," he said, looking apologetically at the others. "I don't mind an exhibition match at some later time, but for the moment..."

    "Hmph. Fair enough," Miss Kirishima allowed. "Well, if you want to use the space, I suppose that would be fine, so long as there is an exhibition in the future. Lestrange?"

    "I do not mind, if you owe me a favor, Matou," the french blonde replied diffidently, looking over at the boy. "I assume you do not mind postponing our morning session, Fleur?"

    "Not particularly, no."

    So...what will Shinji do?

    [ ] Agree - he will owe Lestrange a favor
    [ ] Refuse - he will go over to Albion HQ instead
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

  8. #848
    [ ] Refuse - he will go over to Albion HQ instead

  9. #849
    死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Caster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,858
    Refuse.

  10. #850
    [X] Agree - he will owe Lestrange a favor

    Its Lestrange. Someone that considers Shinji a friend. She is not asking for you to sign away your Command Seals or something insane. She is just wants something small because you are interrupting her training time. Once. An equivalent favor can not be that much for that.

    Instead, it seems people rather refuse because doing a favor for a friend is such a bad thing? You all know that its going to take time to travel back to the HQ to book a room. Maybe have to wait for a room to clear out. And then fight.

    All so we can get the fight for George after some friendly trash talking. I doubt George is going to be in the mood at that point. He seems perfectly happy to fight now, even with this discussion going on AND the people watching him. He has all but agreed. If you turn Lestrange down its going to be solely on Shinji here. And its not going to give a good impression.

    Just let the bloody fight happen by taking the gosh darn small favor...
    Last edited by Skull Leader; November 15th, 2021 at 04:52 AM.

  11. #851
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    429
    [X]Agree-he will owe Lestrange a favor

  12. #852
    Onirique Daiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,865
    Blog Entries
    6
    [x] Agree - he will owe Lestrange a favor.

  13. #853
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,365
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    Choice 253: [x] Agree - he will owe Lestrange a favor.




    Choice 254:
    "Fair enough," Shinji replied. "I'm the one who decided to come here from HQ, and, from the look of it, interrupting your routine. Do I understand it that the room is booked later?"

    "Oui. Zere are enough of us in zhe building that ze room is often scheduled for ze entire day," Lestrange responded.

    "...ah. I hadn't realized that. So this is the timeslot set aside for the four of you and...?" he asked. There were some people in the room he didn't quite recognize.

    Lestrange said something in french that Shinji didn't quite catch, as two of the others in the room - men who he had vaguely noticed but dismissed as unimportant - approached, their body language now completely different from before. They moved...well, like predators in a way, one of them lithe and muscled, the other considerably larger, but not at all unfit.

    "May I introduce Aurors RaphaŽl Ambrosius Costeau and Jean Vicquemare, who will be replacing me as the heads of Fleur's bodyguard detachment."

    Shinji blinked.

    ...Lestrange was getting replaced?

    "You're leaving Albion soon?" he realized.

    "Oui. You vere aware zat ze current arrangement was always meant to be temporary, yes?"

    "Yes," Shinji admitted, "but I hadn't thought..."

    ...that she would be leaving so soon.

    "Nothing lasts forever, Matou. Be happy for the moments of 'appiness you get in zis world, for zey are often all too fleeting," Lestrange replied, her expression unreadable in that moment. "But yes, zese Aurors are elites, noted for zeir skill at...many things." She turned to the Aurors. "Messieurs, zis is Matou Shinji, formerly ze British Potions Champion and currently an officer in ze Albion Home Guard."

    "Your reputation precedes you, Monsieur Matou," one of the Aurors said gravely as he stepped forward, extending a hand. "RaphaŽl Ambrosius Costeau, at your service."

    "A pleasure," Shinji responded, hoping that this meant the more positive aspects of his reputation and not the whole homing killing curse or murdering other Champions bit as he shook the man's hand, finding his grip acceptably solid. "I look forward to working with you."

    The man nodded, with Shinji moving on to greet the Auror's partner. Apparently, there were others who would be arriving soon to fill out the roster for Fleur's protection squad: Aurors Minot, DeMettrie, and Kitsuragi.

    "Kitsuragi?" Shinji echoed. "Is he...?"

    "Japanese? Non, he is French, born and raised," replied Jean Vicquemare.

    "Huh." Shinji blinked. "I could have sworn..."

    "One's ancestry should not affect how one identifies, yes?" Vicquemare responded.

    "...that's fair," the boy said, though it honestly was a bit of an odd notion to him.

    "Not a terrible attitude to have, I agree," George noted, after shaking the hands of the French aurors himself. "Who are the others in this room?"

    Those, as it turned out, happened to be Miss Kirishima's subordinate, Miss Makinami and Miss Ayanami, neither of which Shinji was familiar with, as well as...

    "...Jack, was it?" Shinji spoke, alarm bells ringing in his head over how he had not noticed the exceptionally dangerous man until the man walked up to him. He remembered what the man had done to powered armor with only a knife.

    "Indeed," the man replied, his voice smooth as butter. "Temporarily serving as security consultant for the American delegation." He smiled slightly, seeing Shinji look...discomfited. "You needn't worry. I'm not about to ask you for a favor."

    "Ah, that's...that's good," Shinji replied, swallowing. "I will, ah, see you around Albion HQ at some point?"

    "Undoubtedly. I am a bit of a freelancer, after all. I go where the job takes me to do what must be done. After all, we all do what we must because we can."

    "Going to introduce us, Matou?" George questioned, glancing over at Shinji and puzzled that the younger boy seemed so...uncomfortable.

    "Ah, aha...George, this is Jack, a security consultant from America," the Japanese boy said. "Jack, George, the newest squad leader in Albion's Home Guard."

    "A pleasure to meet you," Jack replied, shaking George's hand. "Now then, I suppose I should clear out and let you boys do your thing."

    "If you wouldn't mind," George noted.

    "Of course not. I will be the last person to stand in the way of a touching reunion," the man said enigmatically. "Enjoy your sparring, and do try not to destroy the place. I'd hate for the report I'm writing to be worthless before I even finish it."

    "N-no need to worry," Shinji responded. "That won't be an issue."

    "Well, let's hope not. For your sake, hm?"

    The man left after that, with Shinji letting out a sigh of relief, tension bleeding out of his body as the imminent threat to his safety departed...

    "I suppose we should follow suit," Miss Kirishima noted. "Girls, Miss Fujou."

    "Come see me after you have finished, Matou," Lestrange agreed. "Until then, au revoir."

    The Aurors moved over to join her as she left the basement, leaving only Fleur behind.

    "...enjoy your sparring," the part-Veela said to the both of them. "Do try not to take things too far, and end up injured yet again, Matou. You have a reputation for such..."

    "No concern for me?" George asked, half-jokingly. "After everything we've been through together."

    Fleur sniffed.

    "You can take care of yourself, Monsieur Weasley. I am rather certain of that."

    "I certainly can, but I won't turn down a wish for my well-being from someone as charming as yourself."

    Fleur sniffed again.

    "Enjoy your sparring," she repeated, before walking off to join the others who had departed, with George's eyes tracking her as she walked up the stairs and out of sight.

    "She's rather cute when she's annoyed," George noted, once the door to the training area had closed behind her. "But I suppose you'd know, wouldn't you, Matou?"

    "...we are not having this conversation right now," Shinji decided. "Let's get to the sparring, shall we?"

    George smiled.

    "Let's."

    So, what is Shinji's opening move?

    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

  14. #854
    [X] Change Suit to Speed, M.Def and Emotional Dampening. Opening Move - Throw decoy ofuda lashed with some prana, but no seals at George with a couple of real flashbangs in the mix as cover as Shinji spreads some flowing Ofuda to give him options for teleportation. Shinji himself will transfigures some earth into the battlefield to set up the ability to defend himself while giving Shinji options for attack.

    My game plan - Stay mobile and play a fairly balance offensive-defensive game, keeping pressure on George with ofuda/spells/earth as Shinji turns the area slowly to a more suitable earth arena and protects himself from George's attacks.

    If people got any better ideas or improvements, I certainly willing to revise how we get our ass kicked here
    Last edited by Skull Leader; November 16th, 2021 at 05:24 PM.

  15. #855
    Onirique Daiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,865
    Blog Entries
    6
    [X] Change Suit to Speed, M.Def and Emotional Dampening. Opening Move - Throw decoy ofuda lashed with some prana, but no seals at George with a couple of real flashbangs in the mix as cover as Shinji spreads some flowing Ofuda to give him options for teleportation. Shinji himself will transfigures some earth into the battlefield to set up the ability to defend himself while giving Shinji options for attack.

    Something that needs to be said is that when are speaking of suit, we mean the Illuminati Armor, that Shinji has access to until Rin comes back. Because we have superior stamina and the mobility is good, we might as well use that.

    Anyway, for now that's what we came up with SL. We chose some magical defense because duh, some speed, for more mobility and the emotional dampening, since it allows to counter the thoughts/emotional reading of George's familiar. For now, we are setting up the battlefield while keeping the pressure on George at the same time. It's the opening move so no need for super complex stuff yet.

  16. #856
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    429
    [x]Change Suit to Speed, M.Def and Emotional Dampening. Opening Move - Throw decoy ofuda lashed with some prana, but no seals at George with a couple of real flashbangs in the mix as cover as Shinji spreads some flowing Ofuda to give him options for teleportation. Shinji himself will transfigures some earth into the battlefield to set up the ability to defend himself while giving Shinji options for attack.

  17. #857
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,365
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    Choice 254: [X] Change Suit to Speed, M.Def and Emotional Dampening. Opening Move - Throw decoy ofuda lashed with some prana, but no seals at George with a couple of real flashbangs in the mix as cover as Shinji spreads some flowing Ofuda to give him options for teleportation. Shinji himself will transfigures some earth into the battlefield to set up the ability to defend himself while giving Shinji options for attack.




    Choice 255:
    Matou Shinji, knowing what he did of George - and remembering his last encounter with a satori user, quickly reconfigured his Illuminati armor to boost his speed, resistance against foreign magical energy, and to help dampen his emotions. After all, the main boost that a satori user gained was their ability to "read" people, and predict what they would do, as opposed to some kind of massive increase in their speed, magical strength, or their reserves. As such, while he might not be able to use fusion or the other trump cards he had employed in dire situations, it's not like he thought he would need them, so long as his armor could render most single action spells harmless and his satori-bonded opponent couldn't read his next moves. This was only George, after all, and he knew what his fellow Stone Cutter could do.

    ...which was why he was so surprised when, after he hurled forth a number of decoy ofuda (with a few flashbangs thrown into the mix) to give him cover to spread around the ofuda needed for flow-walking, the area around George exploded into a gale of darkness, with what seemed like a forest of shadowy spears erupting from his body, utter malice boiling in the air as the mass surged unerringly towards Shinji, who nearly gawked in disbelief - but only nearly.

    'Wait. What. This isn't what a
    satori can--'

    But there was no time to think, only to defend, as the boy reached out with his prana and willed the earth to rise, creating a barrier between him and his--

    Fzzt!

    The barrier was destroyed by the spears. No. Not merely destroyed, as if a superior force had blown it apart, but disintegrated. Erased.

    And the mass was still coming.

    'What. What on earth?'

    He dashed backwards, as the spears came. Dodged to the side, and they shifted.

    '...they can home now?!'

    It occurred to the boy that perhaps he had misjudged his capacity, but even if that was true, he'd fought foes far more challenging than this. Could he really give up now, after the trash talk they'd exchanged?What will Shinji do?

    [ ] Yield. Clearly his information about George is somehow outdated, and with him as reduced as he is, he could be seriously injured...for little gain.
    [ ] Try flow-walking. Maybe spears are guided by something, and if he can just break line of sight...
    [ ] Try using more earth defenses - surely they can't keep erasing his barriers
    [ ] Use the Killing Curse - force George to move, disrupting his focus
    [ ] Counter with ofuda - maybe the spears can be sealed or frozen?
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

  18. #858
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    429
    [x]Yield. Clearly his information about George is somehow outdated, and with him as reduced as he is, he could be seriously injured...for little gain.

    Stopping the battle allows both participants to escape injury and damaging their gear. If battle continued not sure if his ofuda skills good enough to stop the spears or if flow walking lets him escape from George's spiritual sight.
    Using more Earth defenses or escalating with Killing Curse seems like the worse choices. If physical matter gets disintegrated so easily creating them wastes time if it doesn't allow him to avoid them and throwing AK's around could have severe consequences.
    Last edited by Dracueri; December 5th, 2021 at 11:23 PM.

  19. #859
    ...
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; December 8th, 2021 at 08:43 PM.

  20. #860
    [ ] Try flow-walking. Maybe spears are guided by something, and if he can just break line of sight...
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; December 8th, 2021 at 08:44 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •