Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3540434445
Results 881 to 899 of 899

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Price of Victory (HP/FSN CYOA)

  1. #881
    Choice 259: [X] Just the extraction and switch - keep it simple

    Choice 260: [X] Plan Spirited Away ie the following list

    Needed for Op
    -Training for Nines and George in Obliviate Spell (On the off chance that someone sees this operation, so team can erase their memory once disabled)
    - Item to be worn by George and Zelkova to monitor them sending a video feed to Shinji and Pansy while they wait in the RoR (So that Shinji can respond to emergencies by flowing to them as backup/exorcist team)
    - Purchase of small amount of Advance Ofuda and exorcist equipment from Ambassador Kohaku(for use of exorcist any ghost that witness the op as they would be able to see George and Nine while they are in sprite form)
    - Training for Nines and George in Spirit Concealment and/or request of acquiring an item/ofuda that can conceal the team from ghosts. Item acquired to be held by Albion for future use.

    Needed for Spy
    - Item that record the daily activities (sight, sound, etc) of its wearer with the ability to transfer its data collected into a small object to be transferred back to Albion (To be worn by Emilia while acting as a spy at Hogwarts, for the purpose of Albion to analyze)
    - Small Vanishing Box linked to another same Vanishing Box (For Emilia use. Giving her the ability to give report/data as mention from item above as well as to give Emilia support/equipment for any future ops. Item can wait until after the insertion)

    Jointed Operation Request
    - Possible distraction attack/probe by Albion Army near Hogsmead to distract forces at Hogwarts as the assemble a response. Not required but could help distract Hogwarts personal. Subject to command opinions.


    Choice 261: [X] Yes- add Pansy, Nines, George and Shinji
    Justification – Nines and George both for their ability to take on Spirit Forms so they can infiltrate unnoticed by wizards (in fact Homenum Revelio spell will have no effect with these two) to escort Daphne to the RoR. Shinji – Monitoring and leading the operation from RoR, able to flow to Infiltration team if needed to in worse cast scenario or help exorcist a ghost.

    ---

    So the material request vote is odd as it does not make us state our plan for operation but we basically have to do so to answer it. So I think you can all tell the basics of the plan without me detailing it here.

    Also I know we have tossed around on discord the idea of requesting stuff to get the Fade potion completed/working for this operation but it has been pointed out that its not actually necessary for the success of the op. So I have removed that from my first draft I made where I asked for a potion lab access and a magical item to help pay for Lestrange services to help make the Fade potion with Shinji.

    Since Zelkova already comes with the ability to travel in sprite form as well as George's Ring, that is likely enough support to go met with Daphne to reassure her to have her make her way to the RoR while George and Zelkova follow her in their sprite form. Any fade potion is overkill at that point and would take a unknowable of time and effort to make a reality.

    When in doubt keep it simple and thus this modified plan.

    If you got ideas of anything else that might be needed to help lower the risk of this operation to deal with possible issues that could come up, feel free to bring them up so I can add it in.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 20th, 2022 at 04:18 PM.

  2. #882
    Choice 259: [X] Just the extraction and switch - keep it simple

    Choice 260: [X] Plan Spirited Away ie the following list

    Needed for Op
    -Training for Nines and George in Obliviate Spell (On the off chance that someone sees this operation, so team can erase their memory once disabled)
    - Item to be worn by George and Zelkova to monitor them sending a video feed to Shinji and Pansy while they wait in the RoR (So that Shinji can respond to emergencies by flowing to them as backup/exorcist team)
    - Purchase of small amount of Advance Ofuda and exorcist equipment from Ambassador Kohaku(for use of exorcist any ghost that witness the op as they would be able to see George and Nine while they are in sprite form)

    Needed for Spy
    - Item that record the daily activities (sight, sound, etc) of its wearer with the ability to transfer its data collected into a small object to be transferred back to Albion (To be worn by Emilia while acting as a spy at Hogwarts, for the purpose of Albion to analyze)
    - Small Vanishing Box linked to another same Vanishing Box (For Emilia use. Giving her the ability to give report/data as mention from item above as well as to give Emilia support/equipment for any future ops. Item can wait until after the insertion)

    Jointed Operation Request
    - Possible distraction attack/probe by Albion Army near Hogsmead to distract forces at Hogwarts as the assemble a response. Not required but could help distract Hogwarts personal. Subject to command opinions.


    Choice 261: [X] Yes- add Pansy, Nines, George and Shinji
    Justification – Nines and George both for their ability to take on Spirit Forms so they can infiltrate unnoticed by wizards (in fact Homenum Revelio spell will have no effect with these two) to escort Daphne to the RoR. Shinji – Monitoring and leading the operation from RoR, able to flow to Infiltration team if needed to in worse cast scenario or help exorcist a ghost.

  3. #883
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    423
    [x]Just the extraction and switch-keep it simple
    [x]Plan Spirited Away
    [x]Yes-Add Pansy, Nines, George, and Shinji

  4. #884
    [x]Just the extraction and switch-keep it simple
    [x]Plan Spirited Away
    [x]Yes-Add Pansy, Nines, George, and Shinji
    Last edited by Oregano; February 20th, 2022 at 04:19 PM.

  5. #885
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,360
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    Choice 259: [x]Just the extraction and switch-keep it simple
    Choice 260: [x]Plan Spirited Away
    Choice 261: [X] Yes- add Pansy, Nines, George and Shinji




    Choice 262:
    So now that you have a plan, how do you plan to present it to Lockhart?

    [ ] Have Pansy handle this - she's his apprentice, she knows him best
    [ ] Handle it yourself - you're most familiar with the details and the people involved
    [ ] Have both of you handle it
    [ ] ...convince Emilia first, and have her handle it
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

  6. #886
    [X] Approach Emilia, refine the plan with her and then approach Lockhart as a unified group.

    [x]Have both of you handle it

    I am also good with this option so sure lets go with this instead.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 20th, 2022 at 05:48 PM.

  7. #887
    [ ] Have both of you handle it

  8. #888
    [X] Have both of you handle it

  9. #889
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    423
    [x]Have both of you handle it

  10. #890
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,360
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    Choice 262: [x] Have both of you handle it






    Choice 263: You and Pansy present the details of what you whimsically style "Operation Spirited Away" to Lockhart, laying out what - even to your inexperienced ears - feel like a fairly expensive list of requests and requirements for what was at its core an infiltration op. Throughout the briefing, you attempted to get a read on what Lockhart thought as you finished your pitch, but sadly, your perceptive abilities were not nearly the equal of the man's poker face, and so you had to wait for him to voice his thoughts aloud.

    "Not a terrible plan, given your inexperience with such things," the man began, with Shinji beginning to think that maybe - just maybe, he'd done ok. But then his thoughts caught up with his ears, as Lockhart hadn't stopped talking. "However, I have some concerns I would like you to address."

    "O-of course, Mentor," Pansy replied, seeming somewhat uneasy. "What would you like to know?"

    "First of all, I was curious about some of the items you wished to requisition," Lockhart said with a smile, as he glanced knowingly at Shinji, as if the man knew that the Japanese boy had been responsible for that part of the plan. Or perhaps he simply was used to Matou Shinji's penchant for...excess. "I can certainly agree that having some contingencies could be useful, and contracting for ofuda and other useful equipment we cannot produce on our own does make sense. Training in the use of the Memory Charm can also be provided for those taking part in the mission - it is not a particularly difficult spell to learn, though mastering its peculiarities does take some experience. Beyond that, however, is everything you request truly necessary? Aside from familiars, temporary or otherwise, there are few ways to magically provide a live video feed that are not quite expensive, and I question the value such an item would bring to such an operation. Care to explain?"

    [ ] Concede that it is probably excessive
    [ ] Justify the expense (write-in)
    [ ] Look to Pansy

    "Further, I have some concerns about the request for the post-replacement portion of the mission. While I can see some utility for the 'Vanishing Box' you suggest, creating such a thing would both be rather pricey and take quite some time, as it would have to be a custom order. Further, such an item is something that if discovered, compromises the mission entirely. The same is true with your request for an item to record the daily activities (sight, sound, etc) of its wearer, especially as secure locations - of which I am sure Hogwarts is currently one - will often have spells that render recording devices inert, or at least detect such devices." He smiled thinly. "Certainly Albion HQ has such precautions. Given that, would it not be easier to just pass information using the linked set of diaries that Miss Parkinson and Miss Greengrass already use to communicate?"

    [ ] Concede that Lockhart is probably right
    [ ] Push for at least one of the items (which and why?)
    [ ] Push for both
    [ ] Defer to Pansy

    "Finally, at this time, I am not prepared to grant your request for a diversionary attack near Hogsmeade. While such a thing would certainly provoke a response and possibly draw off personnel from Hogwarts, I have concerns that the response may not help the success of the mission. Miss Parkinson, we already have the internal patrol schedules for Hogwarts, do we not?"

    "...we do," Pansy acknowledged.

    "And do you deem that knowledge insufficient to carry out your mission? Especially with your advance party moving in spirit form and unlikely to be detected by anyone but ghosts?" Seeing that Pansy didn't respond immediately, Lockhart continued. "Now, I may not be familiar with Hogwarts' specific protocols during an attack, so correct me if I am wrong, but during a time of high alert, would anomalous movement around the castle by say, Miss Greengrass, not draw more suspicion than when all is normal?"

    [ ] Interject on Pansy's behalf
    [ ] Let her address the question
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

  11. #891
    [X] Concede that it is probably excessive, but that a method of transfering more data/experiences than what a diary could do should be in place has a value that goes beyond monetary value.

    [X] Push for at least one of the items (A way to record Emilia experiences but concede that another method could be better alternative such as a way to record Pansy's memories using the experiences gained by their Familiar bond. In which case only a method/item would be needed on Emilia way to alert Pansy to when she needs to connect to Emilia senses. Something that could be done on the fly verses relying on a prearrange diary discussion.


    [X] Let her address the question

    So yeah I want to concede to Lockhart points but still want to at least discuss the ideas to find improvements. The idea is sound just the method needs to change so I think we should at least fight for the recording part but just flex about who's members we are recording. Pansy's memories while she is connected to Emilia should be easier and cheaper to do, all while being safer for Emilia.

    But if people want to just straight concede both times, I am not going to fight or complain.

  12. #892
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    423
    [x] Concede that it is probably excessive, but that a method of transferring more data/experiences than what a diary could do should be in place has a value that goes beyond monetary value.

    [x] Push for at least one of the items (A way to record Emilia experiences but concede that another method could be better alternative such as a way to record Pansy's memories using the experiences gained by their Familiar bond. In which case only a method/item would be needed on Emilia way to alert Pansy to when she needs to connect to Emilia senses. Something that could be done on the fly verses relying on a prearrange diary discussion.

    [x]Let her address the question

  13. #893
    [ ] Concede that it is probably excessive

    [ ] Concede that Lockhart is probably right

    [ ] Let her address the question

  14. #894
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,360
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    [x] Concede that it is probably excessive, but that a method of transferring more data/experiences than what a diary could do should be in place has a value that goes beyond monetary value.

    [x] Push for at least one of the items (A way to record Emilia experiences but concede that another method could be better alternative such as a way to record Pansy's memories using the experiences gained by their Familiar bond. In which case only a method/item would be needed on Emilia way to alert Pansy to when she needs to connect to Emilia senses. Something that could be done on the fly verses relying on a prearrange diary discussion.

    [x]Let her address the question




    "You have a point, especially in light of how much we'd gain for how much it would cost," Shinji conceded gracefully, when faced with Lockhart's concerns about whether everything he'd requested had truly been necessary. It wasn't as if he didn't have a habit of being perhaps a bit profligate when it came to using money that wasn't his, and Lockhart had already called him on it once before. "I suppose I just wanted to be able to keep an eye on how things are going with the advance team." It made him somewhat nervous not to have eyes on, after all, because it meant he wouldn't be able to intervene if necessary.

    "And you are unable to use your familiar bond for that?"

    "...to be honest, I haven't tried it since I came back from the island, but things have been...different, since then," Shinji admitted. "I'm not even sure if my familiar bond still remains, frankly, given everything that happened."

    "That is something you may have to work out at a later time then. If you can get it working, good. If not, you'll have to trust your advance team." The man smiled thinly. "You may find that trusting your subordinates and allies to know what they're doing - at least to a degree - is essential if you wish to lead and not simply do everything yourself."

    "I do trust them. I'd just feel more comfortable if I could--"

    "--verify that they're doing the right thing?" Lockhart supplied, with Shinji nodding. "I understand where you're coming from, Matou. You just want to make sure this operation goes well, and you don't like having to wait and see how things go, without having the opportunity to affect things moment by moment. It's not an uncommon feeling - I don't particularly enjoy sending people into potential danger either, but its something that cannot be avoided, unfortunately."

    "As you say," Shinji agreed. "I would like to try to arrange for a better way of relaying Emilia's experiences though, if possible. The written word is adequate, but how does the saying go? A picture is worth a thousand words?"

    "Agreed. Did you have a suggestion aside from commissioning expensive devices for it?"

    "Well, since you mentioned the familiar bond, it occurs to me that Emilia is Pansy's familiar, is she not? So if Pansy was able to make use of sense sharing, she would have access to what Emilia saw and felt."

    "True - if Miss Parkinson knows such a skill," Lockhart agreed. "However, it would not be fair or proper to expect Emilia to have to share her senses with Miss Parkinson every moment of every day, nor would Miss Parkinson be useful for much aside from remote viewing unless she has learned how to say, partition her mind, if she was doing so."

    "No, but if there was a means of signaling discretely? Perhaps a set of paired rings that would vibrate or heat up, if it was necessary to connect?"

    "Possible," Lockhart agreed. "Alternatively, it should not be impossible to use legilimency over the familiar bond, if both parties consent."

    "...I hadn't thought of that, though I don't think Pansy knows legilimency?" Shinji asked, glancing over at the girl, who shook her head. "Is that really viable to learn before the operation?"

    "It has been done in the past," Lockhart remarked. "Not to any expert degree, admittedly, but if a pre-existing link bond is already present, that should make things easier." He paused. "Speaking of making things easier..." He looked over at Pansy.

    "You're probably right that a diversionary attack might hurt more than it helps, especially if we want to sneak in, undetected," Pansy conceded. "I'd been thinking that a bit of extra chaos would make it easier for us to get in and out with no one the wiser, but without knowing how the people of Hogwarts will react during an attack, it might actually be counterproductive."

    "Indeed. If high value individuals such as Miss Greengrass were to be locked in her room, with troops assigned to protect her, that would make your mission to exchange her for Emilia without anyone being the wiser...rather difficult, wouldn't it?"

    "...it would, yes," Pansy agreed.

    "In that case, I will sign off on the mission, with the suggested changes. You may have up to a week to prepare, though the sooner this is done, the better. Our window of opportunity will not last forever."




    What will Shinji do during the week to prepare? (choose up to three)

    [ ] Learn the Memory Charm
    [ ] Work on re-establishing his familiar bond with Nines
    [ ] Work with Pansy to see if both of them use their bonds with their familiars
    [ ] Learn the basics of Legilimency together with Pansy
    [ ] Build up a stockpile of ofuda
    [ ] Dry runs - there's no point going into this without practicing and planning for contingencies
    [ ] Learn something else
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

  15. #895
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    423
    [x]Work on re-establishing his familiar bond with Nines
    [x]Work with Pansy to see if both of them use their bonds with their familiars
    [x]Dry runs - there's no point going into this without practicing and planning for contingencies


    I think bonding with Nines again is important to deepen trust and regain fusion ability. Working with Pansy and familiar is so mission would be easier if they know what each person can do and to make sure both of them can use ability to see through familiar eyes. Dry runs means less mistakes will be made during mission and having back up plan if needed.

  16. #896
    [x]Work on re-establishing his familiar bond with Nines
    [x]Work with Pansy to see if both of them use their bonds with their familiars
    [x]Dry runs - there's no point going into this without practicing and planning for contingencies

    While I sort of want to learn Legilimency as that would be super useful or work on Ofuda stocks (can't have too many of them), I think those three options sounds just right so lets go with it. Bonds are useful. And practice makes perfect.

  17. #897
    [x]Work on re-establishing his familiar bond with Nines
    [x]Work with Pansy to see if both of them use their bonds with their familiars
    [x]Dry runs - there's no point going into this without practicing and planning for contingencies
    Last edited by Oregano; May 15th, 2022 at 05:53 PM.

  18. #898
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,360
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    [x]Work on re-establishing his familiar bond with Nines
    [x]Work with Pansy to see if both of them use their bonds with their familiars
    [x]Dry runs - there's no point going into this without practicing and planning for contingencies




    Given everything that was at stake for the upcoming mission, a week was not a particularly large amount of time to prepare, and yet Matou Shinji was aware that his desire to ensure he was prepared for every eventuality had to be balanced with the practicalities of everything that was involved. For one, if he waited too long, it was possible that Greengrass could change her mind about defecting from Britain or worse, be caught communicating with Albion, which would mean anything she passed along might be...compromised. For another, even if he tried to think of everything that might come up, he knew that he would miss something due to his limited experience in running operations like this (as this would be the second mission he was "in charge" of, if one counted WADA, and while that one had been a success, it certainly hadn't come with its share of complications), or just in leading a team.

    All the more so since while he knew everyone he'd been working with, he admitted that he didn't have the best picture of their present capabilities - not after everything that happened. Hell, even his weren't what they used to be, given how he'd worked to seal away the more draconic aspects of himself after what had happened to Tohsaka. Still, he'd fought George and knew that the older boy was both terrifying to face capable in combat and had some sort of memory alteration ability, and that Zelkova was capable of detecting and dealing with spirits (given that he was one himself), so he wasn't particularly worried about how they'd do. He was more worried about himself - that and whether Pansy would be able to unlock a familiar bond with Emilia if she hadn't already.

    Sharing senses with one's familiar required a degree of openness from both parties, after all, and you got the distinct impression that neither Pansy nor Emilia were particularly open individuals, given how fiercely individualistic they could be, and how Emilia had essentially been on detached duty from Pansy for some time before being assigned to his squad - and now she was being assigned to this assignment. How much did they trust one another, he wondered? Had they really worked together enough to be comfortable with each other? And how much did Pansy understand about familiars and what they were capable of, given that she'd grown up in Britain and her concept of a familiar had probably been limited to the pets they'd sold in pet stores...?

    What is your approach to working with Pansy on this issue?

    [ ] Sit down with her, have her explain what she knows/assumes to be true re: familiars, before sharing your own experience
    [ ] Sit down with her and Emilia, and offer...refreshments (read: alcohol), while you walk through the basics of sharing senses
    [ ] ...well, a hot spring would certainly help with relaxation and letting down barriers, right? Nothing like a bit of physical intimacy to help build emotional closeness
    [ ] Sit with Pansy and discuss things, while Zelkova talks to Emilia
    [ ] (write-in)

    Fortunately, you still remembered the basics of sharing senses - and it seemed that whatever else had been changed by your various rebirths and alterations to yourself, enough of yourself remained that your soul was still connected to that of the kodama who had chosen you as his master. Granted, the connection was tenuous, and between the two of you, you worked out that you had changed enough that you weren't sure if fusion would be possible without extensive work, but...that wasn't exactly a surprise at this point. It was fairly unusual for someone to have unlocked fusion as early as you had, after all, and so, while it was disappointing not to have access to the trump card you'd had before, you were...well, not happy, but ok with going without. Zelkova had mentioned that with you having changed as you had, perhaps an alternative might be to tap into the draconic aspect of yourself, assuming you nurtured it and let it grow essentially into a separate being that could usually possess a vessel you could create for it, or join together with yours into something grander. Assuming you worked on your mental partitioning more, this entity could even dwell in one of your partitions and be a watchdog against mental intrusion - an idea you rather liked, honestly.

    Still, you'd worked out that sharing senses, transference of consciousness, and other bits still worked, even if outright telepathy over the bond wasn't something you could currently manage.

    As for dry runs and practicing and planning for contingencies, you were most worried about the approach as well as the extraction, given that those were when you foresaw most things going wrong - if someone was in the wrong place, or a ghost happened to come by, they needed to either be avoided (so they didn't sound the alarm) or neutralized before they called for reinforcements. And while George and Zelkova were both capable of going invisible and being undetectable to the naked eye, you realized that you really had no idea what ghosts were capable of sensing.

    Your advice to the team is to...

    [ ] Trust in their abilities, go quiet and do not engage unless necessary
    [ ] Take no chances, eliminate any ghosts which crossed their path
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

  19. #899
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    423
    [x]Sit down with her, have her explain what she knows/assumes to be true re: familiars, before sharing your own experience
    [x]Trust in their abilities, go quiet and do not engage unless necessary

    I picked this choice since alcohol or Hot Springs have higher chance of something going wrong. Having Zelkova talk with Emilia might be bad idea since she doesn't like other shapeshifters like Kitsune and Kodama.
    I don't think eliminating all ghosts that you meet is the best idea so I'm not choosing that option.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •