Thread: Fate/Mythologie

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Fanfiction Project - Next Worlds of Type-Moon

This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons living and deceased or actual events are completely intentional.

*****​

A man once asked me what I wanted to become
    A man once asked me who I wanted to become

Myself, I confessed
    Someone else, I declared

He frowned
    He smiled

As atonement,
    As gratitude,

I will not let anyone bring disgrace to his final moments.
    Please, somehow let his final moments be passed on.

With that, shall we begin?

“My job is to fight vampires, not to oversee magi squabbles.”

“Eyes that see into the world… You might be what they call the egg of a Magician, then.”

“We’re fighting together because we want the same thing. Wasn’t overcoming death your dearest wish, Berserker?”

“Slight, aside…”

DO NOT FORGET. THAT BAND WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY. YOU CANNOT DENY IT. YOU CANNOT STEP ON IT. YOUR GLORY WAS BORN FROM THIS SIN.

“Oh, Magnituning? It’s a race held in Japan.”

“I think you should have tried harder to understand how your stepmother felt.”

“Master Alcatraz, it hasn’t been that long, has it?”

“If you’re scared, just come to me. I’ll make sure you live forever.”

“How does it feel, to meet a bona fide monster?”

“Imagine a doll that repeats ‘I love you’ even if it’s cast aside, forgotten, worn it down until it’s unrecognizable while expecting nothing in return. That heartbreakingly pure sincerity, how... how do you begin to make amends?”

“It’s strange, isn’t it - the more we break, the more human we become. The more we burn, the more beautiful we become. Is that love?”

“It’s okay to be a victim. But you’re not a victim, are you, dearie?”

“Don’t worry, one day, you’ll surely hatch.”

“Are you feeling okay?”

“I don’t think... I like myself.”

The mythology of the forsaken has been compiled.
    The mad fire within the Holy Grail has been set alight.

Fate/Mythologie

“This... isn’t a fate you should thank me for.”

Table of Contents

Fate/Mythologie Prospective Reader’s Guide

1. Sell me on Fate/Mythologie’s premise.
    A Holy Church organized Grail War set in suburban Central California. The death of a legendary bishop throws the bureaucratic apparatus in charge of mediating a Grail War into disarray. A schism in the Church’s Grail War organizational committee forms leading to two Church factions proclaiming they are the rightful overseer while magi do battle with their Servants to make their wishes come true. Mythologie attempts to reframe the Strange Fake experience in a contemporary US West Coast setting with a heavy focus on Holy Church machinations.

2. How is this not just another Grail War?
    On the surface it is. Seven Masters summon Heroic Spirits in the form of Servants to fight for a cup. Each Master assumes they are the sole person who truly understands the Nasuverse and everyone else doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

3. I haven’t read or watched X. Will that impede my enjoyment?
    Possibly. Mythologie can be read as a stand-alone work. All vital worldbuilding in the story is explained. However, there are references and counterpoints that a working knowledge of the Nasuverse will help you notice.

4. Is Emiya Shirou featured in the story?
    Yes. As a minor character.

5. Where in the Nasuverse timeline does this story fall?
    Mythologie is a “sequel” to Strange Fake. Because Strange Fake has not finished as I’m writing this, it doesn’t have too major an impact but the nature of what happened in Snowfield is a looming shadow over the characters and story. That being said, being set in the Strange Fake timeline means there are both Dead Apostle Ancestors and Servants. Furthermore, Mythologie references and follows the Fuyuki Fifth Grail War from Fate/School Life which is a modified Heaven’s Feel route. In terms of a specific time period. It is set post-2016, pre-COVID.

6. What is your update schedule?
    Irregular. I like to complete something before posting. As a compromise, I’ll be offering monthly progress reports.

EX. It’s spelled mythology or is this French?
    You can decide whether to spell it as mythology after reading.

Structure

Fate/Mythologie will be split into four volumes and told primarily from two first-person perspectives. After each volume is finished, a pdf will be complied and made available for download and sharing. The pdf will be a “definitive” version with some cosmetic editing and include character profiles. The same profiles will be linked in the story.

I will be trying to upload Mythologie to as many platforms as possible; however, due to the limitations of the websites, some formatting will be left in BB code. The most authentic experience be either the pdf or the Beast Lair version.

Currently, the volumes are outlined as such:
    Volume 1: Day 1 - 3
    Volume 2: Day 4 - 7
    Volume 3: Day 8 - 10
    Volume 4: Day 11 - 13

"Made me rethink the last 10 years of Fate fanfiction in a single night."
    —Hidden Blue
    "It was an amazing story. I'm glad I could find something this good on this site [Spacebattles].
    —GlassesLion
    "I feel lightly disgusted mentioning Worm even in the same conversation with this fic, but gotta shape your message for the crowd, right?"
    —BlueHelix
    "Been a wild ride thus far, and will stand by until the story's end"
    —SleepMode
    I dearly like this story. Reading the update on my way to and from work these past few weeks has been a delight. I hope to see it continue!
    —Patsykake
    “... he has a very good grasp on the mechanics and tone, making for very faithful and lore-compliant stories that are still pretty well-written.”
    — all fictions
    "...it is much much better than 99% of Nasuverse fanfictions and is written by a good author. The researches are intensive and lores are on point, with little to no mechanics problems and cleverly inserted references as well as an engaging story line."
    —mkhang
    "... this is infused with a je ne sais quoi of distinct atmosphere and bite, which made me feel something, so thank you for writing this."
    — dharmagic
    "... This is the best thing going in Type-Moon fanfiction right now."
    — Imperial
    "An interesting Grail War. Mystery, action, suspense... very well intertwined. OCs are good, as is the usage of canon characters. And I admit to a large weakness as to obscure references, which are nicely scattered around."
    — Who?
    "I must say this though. This fic feels so authentic to the TM spirit, that if showed me just the chapters and nothing else, I would have been convinced this WAS a new TM LN or something."
    — SirGauoftheSquareTable
    "It's rare to come across a fanfic that I can really say captures the original's spirit so thoroughly"
    — RoydGolden
    “reads like twilight or something.”
    — Sesetubers
    "8/10 made me pick up twilight"
    — Leftovers
    Last edited by You; April 2nd, 2021 at 05:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.