Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tsukihime REMAKE questions

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Username55 View Post
    If a translation project for this starts up, chances are large portions of the text can already be ported with little or no modification from the original Tsukihime VN to this, significantly reducing the amount of work that needs to be done, so workwise, a fan translation wouldn't probably require the same amount of work as translating a VN of that length from scratch.
    I'm not so sure the text can be ported so easily. Even assuming the story beats stay mostly intact it doesn't mean the scenes will have the same narration and dialogue.

It's gonna be a while. We can only hope that either this gets picked up officially by Aniplex or that Hollow Moon don't run out of steam on it. Fan translations are hard to keep motivation for nowadays. And I reckon the only reason Hollow Moon are looking like they might actually finish Mahoyo is because of the hype generated by the Tsuki Remake trailer.

Wait we must, I guess.
    burn your dread you coward

Yeah, given that it's taken 11 years to get from announcing the Tsukihime remake to actually having a release date I would be shocked if the script for the remake bore more than a general resemblance to Tsukihime's original script. And yeah, as was pointed out earlier Mirror-moon's translation was decent for a fan-patch at the time that it came out, and people put up with it because it's the only translation out there, but much like their script for Fate/stay night it's not great, and if one were going to start a project to translate the remake, even if the scripts were identical I think it would be a major missed opportunity not to produce a better translation.
    Last edited by FBates; January 16th, 2021 at 01:00 AM.

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    tl;dr This was basically my attempt at using my knowledge and experience with console emulation to vouch for any translation work to focus on the Switch version over the PS4 version.

Next day EDIT: ...though I'm pretty darn sure that, by the time summer rolls around, some major developments will have occurred that could very possibly change some things in computer electronics and therefore the emulation scene (you might get an idea of what I'm alluding to in the next few weeks or so; and random future PSA, anything scary about nukes is fake).

I'm a bit out of the loop on Tsukihime Remake stuff, but if worst comes to worst and, for whatever reason there ends up not being a PC version, I just want to say that Switch emulators exist and are functional right now (search for "yuzu-emu")

And since a VN isn't exactly taxing hardware-wise, I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU requirements for emulating the Switch version aren't really all that demanding. Heck, since the Switch even uses ARM hardware, there's a good chance that a theoretical ARM version of yuzu could emulate Switch software really well (at least in terms of performance, compatibility should be unchanged to the x86 version) due to the lack of needing to translate ARM to x86 instructions.

...though by that logic, a PS4 version would theoretically be even easier to emulate on an x86 PC, but the PS4 also has 8 CPU cores and a much higher-end GPU, so by definition that console is going to have a higher baseline hardware requirement just to even get things running (even if the CPU's per-core IPC is only comparable to an Athlon 64, meaning nearly any modern quad core could probably do the job, especially a quad core with SMT - really it's the PS4's GPU that's the bigger concern, especially when a Switch emulator can farther reduce the GPU emulation requirements by running in undocked mode). Also there's the bit that the development and compatibility of Switch emulation is much farther along than PS4 emulation.

At the same time, there's also the bit that early Switch consoles can be readily softmodded due to an unfixable hardware-level exploit. And since you can access the Japanese eshop even from an unmodded North American/European/etc Switch, it's also theoretically possible for a homebrew patch for the legitimate digital downlaod version on a real Switch.

Now PS4 vs Switch would both max out at 1080p, but if there's PS4 Pro support then there could be 4k...at the same time, if the elusive rumored "Switch Pro" does in fact become a thing, then the Switch version may also end up being capable of 4k, meaning they may in fact have resolution parity regardless.

(of course, emulators can render things at any resolution, but you're still going to be limited to whatever resolution the 2D art assets are at which is obviously a bigger limitation for a traditional 2D sprite-based VN, especially if the on-screen text is not vector and also renders at a fixed resolution)
    Last edited by NM64; January 24th, 2021 at 01:23 AM.
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

Quote Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
    tl;dr This was basically my attempt at using my knowledge and experience with console emulation to vouch for any translation work to focus on the Switch version over the PS4 version.
    From what I've seen, that's going to happen.

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Viña del mar, chile)
    Well it seems for the time being we wil not have a oficial english versión, but Aniplex is distrbuting the game, so we have some hope?

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Username55 View Post
    If a translation project for this starts up, chances are large portions of the text can already be ported with little or no modification from the original Tsukihime VN to this, significantly reducing the amount of work that needs to be done, so workwise, a fan translation wouldn't probably require the same amount of work as translating a VN of that length from scratch.
    Now that we know Remake will contain the Near Side routes only, yet have a text volume surpassing that of the original game, this is most likely not true.

But I bet someone will do it anyway lol

Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    Now that we know Remake will contain the Near Side routes only, yet have a text volume surpassing that of the original game, this is most likely not true.

But I bet someone will do it anyway lol

And in the interview The asked Nasu what amount of text from the original doujin was intact, and Nasu said nothing, so there need to be a new complete translation from 0

Ok, the great day has come, and you can emulate the novel with Yuzu the switch emulator, and the ROM is in Nyaa, so now let's talk of the posility of a fan translation with this, I don't know a thing of this, but lets give the space for some pros in the comunity if they can give they opinion