Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Kara no Kyokai novels fully translated

deadfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I thought Del Rey was kinda dead at this point iirc.
    I thought so too.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deadfish View Post
    I thought so too.
    I figured so by now as well, but I meant it in a "nail in the coffin" sort of way.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    yes yes yes yes yeeees!

Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    I figured so by now as well, but I meant it in a "nail in the coffin" sort of way.
    more like "it's already rotten"...

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Oh my God, WHY am I just learning of this?

Kara no Kyoukai fully translated?! YES! This means I can finish reading the fight with Touko and Araya, and so many other things...

YEAH!!!

Well, what took me a month or so to read in moonrunes, I finished reading in English in about 30 minutes.

...I kind of feel like going into a corner and crying now.

I like this very much, but I dislike the Murder Speculation Chapters translations title. The first Homicide inqury loses much of the charm of the commonly accepted translation for those two chapters.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ARCANE EYES. DUDE. THATS, LIKE THE MOST BASIC NASUWORD. THATS EVEN IN THE OFFICIAL BD SUBS.
    BY THE WAY, CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    ARCANE EYES. DUDE. THATS, LIKE THE MOST BASIC NASUWORD. THATS EVEN IN THE OFFICIAL BD SUBS.
    BY THE WAY, CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.
    Apparently the translator wasn't really familiar with Nasuverse lingo. It was kind of odd, reading KnK without the usual Nasuverse terms that have stuck in my head. In fact, the whole tone of the translation was significantly different than what I've come to expect from the Nasuverse. It was less esoteric. It read more like a Dresden Files novel than a work of Kinoko Nasu. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's sort of refreshing.

The tone is different because the translator isn't doing a word-for-word translation. If you get into a debate and you want to quote a single sentence or word to prove something, this might not be the best of sources.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Arcane Eyes of Death Perception. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitfold View Post
    Apparently the translator wasn't really familiar with Nasuverse lingo.
    No, he (she?) didn't even searched for "直死の魔眼" or "chokushi no magan" on google because the first results are always "mystic eyes of death perception" (chokushi no magan even appears on autocomplete, I checked).
    What is really odd is for a fan (he/she must obviously one, that wordpress is solely dedicated to KnK) to change the most famous term in all nasuverse.

Saradin, I don't think this is a criticism (it isn't for me, cokesakto THANK YOU SO MUCH!)... it's just something really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Saradin View Post
    The tone is different because the translator isn't doing a word-for-word translation. If you get into a debate and you want to quote a single sentence or word to prove something, this might not be the best of sources.
    I know that, but still can't shake the difference.

No, he (she?) didn't even searched for "直死の魔眼" or "chokushi no magan" on google because the first results are always "mystic eyes of death perception" (chokushi no magan even appears on autocomplete, I checked).
    What is really odd is for a fan (he/she must obviously one, that wordpress is solely dedicated to KnK) to change the most famous term in all nasuverse.

Saradin, I don't think this is a criticism (it isn't for me, cokesakto THANK YOU SO MUCH!)... it's just something really odd.
    Yeah, the translator didn't use any of the lingo at all, and it isn't as if it's hard to find out, it's all on the wikia. I mean, they call the Clock Tower the Collegium, magecraft the Art...

I guess it's simply an artistic choice. I really can't say how glad am I it's here though. I really can't.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Exactly, artistic choice.

I really can't say how glad am I it's here though. I really can't.
    Let's not think too much about it. Most probably only fans will read the KnK novels so... a good, short laugh and that's all.

After reading it all the way through WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT. WHAT'S A FUCKING "ART"?! WHY ARE THEY ARCANE EYES?! THE SHIT IS A COLLEGIUM?! WHATS UP WITH SASAKI!?!? WHY ARE THE FAMILIAR WORDS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE?! SOMEBODY ELSE NEEDS TO TRANSLATE THIS SHIT OVER AND DO IT RITE.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    I SEE THAT YOU REMEMBERD WHAT CAPS LOCK SHOULD BE USED FOR. GREAT. NOW LETS SHOUT SOME MORE AT MINOR INCONSITENCIES WITH NOT-EVEN OFFICIAL TRANSLATIONS.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    SOMEBODY ELSE NEEDS TO TRANSLATE THIS SHIT OVER AND DO IT RITE.
    RATHER THAN FINDING AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT TRANSLATOR TO RE-TRANSLATE THREE FULL NOVELS WOULDN'T IT BE EASIER TO JUST USE FIND-REPLACE ON THE TERMS YOU WANT TO CHANGE

Blog Entries
    ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE! IT IS STILL LOCALIZED! I AM PRETTY SURE THAT RYOUGI NEVER EVEN THINKS OF THE WORD "FUCK"! IT IS RUINED FOREVEEEEER!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE! IT IS STILL LOCALIZED! I AM PRETTY SURE THAT RYOUGI NEVER EVEN THINKS OF THE WORD "FUCK"! IT IS RUINED FOREVEEEEER!
    I FOR ONE LIKE THIS TRANSLATION OF RYOUGI
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitfold View Post
    Apparently the translator wasn't really familiar with Nasuverse lingo. It was kind of odd, reading KnK without the usual Nasuverse terms that have stuck in my head. In fact, the whole tone of the translation was significantly different than what I've come to expect from the Nasuverse. It was less esoteric. It read more like a Dresden Files novel than a work of Kinoko Nasu. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's sort of refreshing.
    My exact thoughts except I don't know what the Dresden Files are, and I find it slightly annoying. I wouldn't tell the translator to take it off the web and redo it because that would be silly, and more translations of a given work is always a good thing in my opinoin, but I tend to prefer my translations on more of the foreignnizing side of the fluency/foreign compromise.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    THE SHIT IS A COLLEGIUM?!
    That one actually kind of feels like the translator knew full well what people usually call it, and intentionally picked out an obscure term just to be contrary. Love the web definitions, though:

A group whose members pursue shared goals while working within a framework of mutual trust and respect
    or
    A group in which each member has approximately equal power and authority

Totally sounds like how magi do things to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    My exact thoughts except I don't know what the Dresden Files are, and I find it slightly annoying. I wouldn't tell the translator to take it off the web and redo it because that would be silly, and more translations of a given work is always a good thing in my opinoin, but I tend to prefer my translations on more of the foreignnizing side of the fluency/foreign compromise.
    I think it is refreshing to read a fantranslation that reads like, you know, a professional translation.