Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Kara no Kyokai novels fully translated

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    That one actually kind of feels like the translator knew full well what people usually call it, and intentionally picked out an obscure term just to be contrary. Love the web definitions, though:

A group whose members pursue shared goals while working within a framework of mutual trust and respect
    or
    A group in which each member has approximately equal power and authority

Totally sounds like how magi do things to me.
    I think the translator picked Collegium cause it sounds more magic like than what was there originally. In the orginal, it was simply 'academy', right?

Don't know what Ordo was in there for.

I think it is refreshing to read a fantranslation that reads like, you know, a professional translation.
    Yes, it really is refreshing, compared tot the tone of most Nasu works. Still, if only the original terms had been used, it would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I think it is refreshing to read a fantranslation that reads like, you know, a professional translation.
    Not all professional translators would write like this. In fact there is sort of a huge spat amongst translators whether what this translator did is even morally correct (perhaps a little extreme). Trust me I wrote a term paper on translation theory.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    After reading it all the way through WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT. WHAT'S A FUCKING "ART"?! WHY ARE THEY ARCANE EYES?!
    THE SHIT IS A COLLEGIUM?! WHATS UP WITH SASAKI!?!? WHY ARE THE FAMILIAR WORDS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE?! SOMEBODY ELSE NEEDS TO TRANSLATE THIS SHIT OVER AND DO IT RITE.
    Epic rage.

Hey, why don't we start using these alternative names? You know, just to confuse people...

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    Not all professional translators would write like this. In fact there is sort of a huge spat amongst translators whether what this translator did is even morally correct (perhaps a little extreme). Trust me I wrote a term paper on translation theory.
    There are actually translators arguing against localization? Wow.
    I mean I live in a German speaking country so the idea of watching a foreign film with subtitles is just completely alien, and spoken dialogue has to be localized or it sounds stupid, so that literally blew my mind just now.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    so that literally blew my mind just now.
    Miiiind blowjob woo wooooooo!

Blog Entries
    Stop yelling that every time.

Its just... Even the new KnK movie boxset with the professional translation uses proper Nasu-verse loan words we have gotten used to and love. So why did this translator feel to do something that is even unusual for the professional translation is beyond me. Besides which, I do happen to know in fact it is not that hard to keep the original feel for the translation as in Japanese. Japanese is not, as opposed to what he claimed, completely incompatible with english speaking patterns.

Source: My friend is a rich idiot who actually bought the bluray set and had bothered to marathon them with me. Personally, the price is way to high.
    Also, I am a student of the language in question.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by facesforce View Post
    Its just... Even the new KnK movie boxset with the professional translation uses proper Nasu-verse loan words we have gotten used to and love.
    Still though, what makes them "proper", other than that we are used to them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by facesforce View Post
    Japanese is not, as opposed to what he claimed, completely incompatible with english speaking patterns.
    It's kind of true, though. Sure, a lot of the time you can easily render a direct translation between two languages, but what constitutes good prose in one isn't necessarily what constitutes good prose in the other. Even if you're trying to preserve the intent of the original work as precisely as possible, if your translation makes a good author look like an illiterate moron because you kept in all the weirdness that's acceptable in his native language, then you're kind of a shitty translator.

deadfish
    I wouldn't say it's incompatible, but frankly, it's kind of boring. Like, reading a translation of the Long Goodbye in Japanese by Murakami Haruki bored the shit out of me. It just looked ugly.

As long as it sounds good, flows well in English, and the translator really did understand the original meaning, I don't see anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Still though, what makes them "proper", other than that we are used to them?
    #1 priority for me, besides the obvious things like being accurate, would be seeming like they actually are from someone who speaks English natively.

So I massively prefer this stylistic choice over, say, translated things that might pop up in "official" sources.

Vortex of Radix? My kanji is horribad so I can't confirm it myself, but I hear that's just a dictionary-translation of the Japanese term. (Yeah, radix is in the dictionary)

Deterrent Force? How is it a deterrent if almost no one knows about it? It doesn't deter anyone, just does clean-up work.

Altria? "The feminine form of Artorius is Altria"? Really?

So yeah, just skimming this I don't have any problems with how he handled the stylistic choice -- and there's not going to be anyone claiming "these terms are official, you must use them" to boot.

Speaking of KnK translatios, is there a Mirai Fukuin pdf?

Well, there's changing it so it reads and flows properly in English, which is a good thing, and changing universally accepted terms for no reason, which imo is a bad thing. Arcane eyes? Really? Other than that it looks a good translation from what I've read.

Vortex of Radix in the official translation is just bizzare though.
    Last edited by Strife ❤️; August 3rd, 2011 at 08:01 AM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One

The translating does seem pretty weird. As somebody already mentioned, if they were translating this story they must've been a fan so why use these obscure word choices? Still though, as fans of the Nasuverse ourselves, it's not too difficult to know what's what.

Either way, I say thanks to the translator for the work. I knew I was eventually gonna be able to finish this story, I just figured it would've been in a few more years and in Japanese.

This puts me in the mood to do some more translating of my own.

Blog Entries
    “Now is your blunder obvious, Alaya? It might actually have been better for you to trap Shiki in a concrete cell. Matter with form takes its toll harder
    on her when she weaves entropy, and is the reason she uses a weapon.
    Though I doubt even a material prison would have kept her for long.
    How close to the source is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Didn't we know that already? AFAIR it's true.

Blog Entries
    No, this TL is a bit different from the usual ones. The usual ones, IIRC, say that she'd be screwed if she was in a concrete box, while this says that it would just take longer.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

I think Leopard is referring to the "not keep her for long part" because Cruor mysteriously never brought that up when he argues Nanaya>Ryougi.

Edit: in other news I am going to have to get serious about reading this if we are going to start arguing about it already, Persona 4 can wait I guess.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    I think Leopard is referring to the "not keep her for long part" because Cruor mysteriously never brought that up when he argues Nanaya>Ryougi.
    Yeah, the part about the material prison being breakable too is new.