Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 49121314

Thread: Kara no Kyokai novels fully translated

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I don't have a good vocab or take any sort of dedicated writing class, but I've always thought my translations came out okay.
    I just suck then.

Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    He starts making stuff up from basically the first page onwards. It's just not the kind of stuff you would notice from having only watched the movies.
    There is a reason why i edited my Post to : "Edit: LoL" after like.. 5 minutes^^

But like i said, i am pretty fine with him makeing up stuff. I wouldnt even mind it if it was good. Im not a purist, not with Nasu since he isnt writing very good in the first place.
    Last edited by Mikiya; April 11th, 2014 at 02:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    But like i said, i am pretty fine with him makeing up stuff. I wouldnt even mind it if it was good. Im not a purist, not with Nasu since he isnt writing very good in the first place.

Are you really KnK fan?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCaptainKatsura View Post
    Are you really KnK fan?
    Nasu: In Kara no Kyoukai, the first story, "Overlooking View" (俯瞰風景) is the clumsiest. I've always thought I wanted to do something about it, and I told a staff member, "If we're making this into a movie, I'm going to rewrite the first story; please let me do that." But he said, enthusiastically, "No, I want to work with it the way it is. I want to animate this!"Then, when I read the finished script, they'd cut out over half of the unnecessary excess fat and had turned out something more interesting as a story, so I thought, "If it's like this, they don't need me to rewrite it."

(...) I almost want to tell the people who'll decide to read the original book after seeing the movie, "Don't read it!" (Laughs)

(http://comipress.com/article/2007/10/12/2786)
    Just took me 1 minute to google useing english.
    And there he is rather uncritical compared ot other statements he made.

Kara no Kyoukai is brilliant story wise, but written? Okay, honestly i was never annoyed by unnessessary "fat" and even liked/like to read about unnessessary things such as which material shiki´s kimono´s are made of..

Dont get me wrong, reading was definatly fun and still is (especially when reading different english versions), but the thing is that.. well; there are numerous "otaku" who would agree that KnK (original, not the worked over version) isnt written very good.
    Nobody says that the story is bad or something. Its like harry potter, which is also famous and not really well written (there, i said it).

Last edited by Mikiya; April 11th, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Needless to say, because someone thinks it is bad does not necessarily mean that is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Country Preacher View Post
    Needless to say, because someone thinks it is bad does not necessarily mean that is what it is.
    I actually only said its not written very good. I didnt say its written bad. I just wanted to point out that i would not mind if someone would rewrite the whole novel´s in a more elaborate way, as long as the story isnt changed for the worse. I was only talking about.. writing; nothing more. I never did any critic on the story.

I certainly wouldn't call cokesakto using his own interpretation of the general info where he's a bit fuzzy on the actual meaning an improvement.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Cokesakto is lore rapist, so calling his modifications an improvement signifies a bad taste, Mikiya.

Cokesakto is lore rapist, so calling his modifications an improvement signifies a bad taste, Mikiya.
    Did you even read what i wrote?
    I said, i WOULD love it, if it WAS written good.

That means: i WOULD like to have someone who CAN WRITE to make the ORIGINAL more proper/eloquent and IF he was a talented writer, wouldnt MIND, if he would add INTERESTING parts to the original story, after all you can always read the original or at least the translation of the original, which is already there. However since there is no need for 2 originals nor for 2 original translations - i would be very happy about an improved version that excells in story telling.

I like improvements and reading in english in general, since that way i dont have to spent ages searching the X meaning of some stupid kanji.
    Last edited by Mikiya; April 11th, 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    If Nasu does not do it, it is not KnK any longer.

If Nasu does not do it, it is not KnK any longer.

Well, it is quite common/has been quite common to finish unfinished works of other authors/componists or add things to existing works / write homages and so on and release it commercially / professional.

Kara no Kyoukai has some good doujin´s but since those still cant be used in the "commercial" way like an original, its unlikely that someone will put a lot of work into a continuation.

But just look at hollywood... its the same concept just with movies.. but in most cases not executed in a good way.
    Look at star wars - the new movies are, according to my knowledge, in no relation to george lucas (except that he created the setting).
    Well, i dont know if they will be good, but if they are.. i would not mind.
    Whats with the hobbit? If you watched the movie and read the book, you have to aggree that the director did add just... insane amounts of own content and ideas. Still i liked the hobbit, others disliked his additions sure, but i liked them. I bet at least one or two here did like it too. I just assume..

Still, the hobbit is still the hobbit, isnt it? Star wars is still star wars?

Dracula is also still dracula, even with thousand adaptations and book adaptations around, isnt it?
    You can find endless examples.. even in music.. i mean liszt was working over a lot of pieces by previous componists, and horrowitz then, hundred years later worked over his pieces (for instance totentanz).

It wasnt purely liszt anymore, but it wasnt purely horrowitz either. It was still beautiful music though, and some people even say better music.

I love franz liszt, he is my favourit componist of the romantic period - still i am very thankful to horrowitz that he worked over totentanz/did a piano adaptation for it (2 hands). Eventually, people who listen to music the first time and think it is amazing wont bother if it isnt the original version/if it is a cover/if it is a extension - as long as it is beautiful. And in a lot of cases those covers get more popular in the first place. Frank Sinatra - My Way is a cover, well the lyrics and name are original but the entire... show, the tact the music it is so covered its crazy. Still, i think 99% of people who hear the "melodie" will think of my way from frank sinatra, but the original was another song.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMoY5rNBjwk ; also with national anthems.. its similar. God save the queen´s melody was reused by austria, germany and liechtenstein.
    You can find thousands of examples where people reused work of other people or rewrote entire books or wrote entire new books based on someone else´s ideas and did not only make them sell better but also more popular.

Its the same thing.. really it is. If we have Bram Stokers Dracula or Dracula by XYZ. If both are books, both are telling the same story but one is from another author/reworked/overworked/extended/heavily changed - it doesnt change the fact that the book is still dracula.
    What would you call it? "The book that is not dracula, but has the name?"

Obviously you call the original "Bram Stokers Dracula" because of it, but.. well you get the point.
    Last edited by Mikiya; April 11th, 2014 at 04:21 PM.

So the only whole translation of this story is the butchered one ?
    Is there any hope of a proper translation or should I cry myself to sleep? ;-;