Thread: [Fan Visual Novel] Why is there a Bashmu in my Room

死者 Corpse

[Fan Visual Novel] Why is there a Bashmu in my Room

Hey Everyone!

I just registered an account here because I figured that there may be some people interested in a Fan Visual Novel I wrote. This is mainly a copy & paste from the reddit thread I made earlier. There is a TL;DR at the bottom.

For the past few months I worked on a Fate Fan Visual Novel called "Why is there a Bashmu in my Room?" or as my friends shortened it "BaRu". Today, I finally released it on itch.io for free (since I obviously don't own the Fate franchise and just want to share what I made with other fans). If you can't follow the link, you can always just search itch.io for the game's title "Why is there a Bashmu in my Room?"

It would be great if someone actually checked this out and left some feedback, as this is the first time I ever did something like this.

I got the idea for this while playing FGO and developed it together with some friends, but knowledge of FGO isn't really important to understand the VN.

So what is this? It's a three routes (+ some extra stuff) long Visual Novel about a bashmu (an ancient Mesopotamian dragon) that accidentally enters our world through a weird thing called a "plot twist" and about Josh, a young man from Dallas that is pulled into its story through greed and (bad?) luck. Of course, all of this is somehow related to and includes servants, masters, and of course a holy grail.

All three routes are vastly different, with the first one starting off slowly to set up the story and the later routes being much longer and most definitely less tame. Overall, this visual novel is several hours long, so don't get confused when the first credits roll after the introductory route.

I included a colorful mix of servants from Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, Fate/Grand Order, and even Fate/Extra, but also some new inventions of mine or different spins on existing servants. My drawings are admittedly super unprofessional, but luckily one of my friends got hyped up enough while proof-reading for me that he re-drew some of the characters that he found most interesting.

I'm new to writing VNs and would be incredibly grateful for any sort of feedback.

Edit: Here is a CG that a friend made for the VN:
    Spoiler:

TL;DR: I made a Fate VN. You can download it for free on itch.io (you can search for the full title if the link doesn't work).

EDIT: Is this the correct subforum or should I post it under fanfiction as it's mainly a very visual fanfiction? Is there a way to crosspost this? Can I just make another post under fanfiction?
    Last edited by CrazyCowLady; October 6th, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Well, I sure want to check it out at least
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

死者 Corpse
    Cool!
    If you have any issues trying it out, feel free to PM me or ask me stuff in the comments!

死者 Corpse
    Yesterday, I only posted our anniversary announcement to reddit. In case there is anyone in this forum who's interested, here it is:

Hello everyone!

Exactly one year ago, a group of Fate fans wrote a Visual Novel set in its universe. With today being our one-year anniversary, we have prepared some upgrades to the game that we'll release over the next couple of days.
    If you update an existing version of this game with the newer version, your savegames and story flags will be kept intact.

Browser-Playable Demo
    We are aware that having to download a game before playing is a commitment that some won't take if they're unsure. Thus, we created a demo that you can play within the browser, on the game's main page. It's very short in comparison to the full project, covering only 3%, but sadly, we're limited by what a browser can comfortably display. With what we've got, it's already reaching its limits on older machines. The downloadable game however should be playable on even very old computers.

Upgraded Command Spells CGs
    Let's face it, I'm the writer and not the artist, but art takes a lot of time, so our actual artist can't draw all of it. My own paintings for the Command Spells looked funny and he decided to fix them on a whim.
    Thanks to this wonderful improvement, we now have new CGs for the Command Spells for all four servants!

New Scene in Madison's Ending for the Second Route
    This being a Fate Visual Novel, we were seriously lacking in adult content. This has been fixed by adding a brand-new H-Scene as the reward at the end of Madison's branch within the second route. If you follow the game as usual to her ending, you get the choice of either reading the old, safe for work ending, or of progressing to the 18+ content.
    This scene comes complete with a new graphic.

Horseback Outbreak Rework
    Those of you that have played the novel, may have stumbled across our custom western version of Fate's "Outbreak" theme in the fourth route. In the following days, an upgraded version with better quality instruments and several other quality improvements, will be uploaded here by its composer.

Custom Harlot
    A few weeks ago, we were given a cleaned up version of our Mother Harlot sprite. This inspired our resident artist and huge Nero fan to continue drawing his sprite from scratch instead of the sprite-edit of Nero Bride we've been working with so far. He, too, will upload his finished version to reddit soon.

Lastly, Critique/Reviews
    We wrote this game as absolute beginners and it shows. As such, any and all critique is incredibly valuable for us moving forward. We'd hate to repeat the same mistakes on our next project, so if you have read the novel or attempted to do so and stopped, we need your opinion.
    Especially if you didn't finish, we'd love to know where you stopped and why. If you read the whole thing, any information on how you feel about it is appreciated. It's the only way for us to improve and provide better content in the future.

Thanks to everyone who's read so far and thanks for all the people that have played our game throughout the past year!