Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast

Thread: [Hollow Moon] Mahoutsukai no Yoru Translation Project

Even a broken clock is right twice a day…
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day…

US Friend Code
    Didn't Kagetsu Tohya get its English translation from the Korean (or was it Vietnamese?) fan-translation too? Why would French-English be any worse? Although frankly I doubt many even read KT and I don't even remember if the translation was bad or not.

Also, what's this about McJon's translation being bad?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipRow View Post
    Didn't Kagetsu Tohya get its English translation from the Korean (or was it Vietnamese?) fan-translation too? Why would French-English be any worse? Although frankly I doubt many even read KT and I don't even remember if the translation was bad or not.
    KT was from Korean, but honestly, KT is bad, like REALLY bad, so I don't think it's an appropriate comparison.

Honestly, I'm not really even sure why the distinction is so important to Leftovers considering the workflow we're dealing with here. Because basically, the pitfalls of double translations should be obvious: you lose out on some (or a lot of, worst case) nuance, things like metaphors, wordplays, tone and metre - and all that's just when translating from JP into the first language. Now you go through that entire process again to get it into English, and there's obviously a lot lost in translation. I don't think anybody is really denying that this makes double translations kinda bad.

The way we've chosen to handle this project is specifically to counteract these issues with double translations.
    1) Translate from FR > EN
    2) Rigorously TLC between JP and the resulting EN
    3) Proofread and edit for consistency

The French translation into English gives a basis for the first pass of TLC, and unlike what most people seem to think we're doing, we're not just using that and changing some slight errors or mistranslations, but simply using it as a basis. Effectively, we're invoking Cunningham's law in a translation context, because aside from having to match tone and such from JP, it removes the need for the JP translators to spend as much time and energy on choosing the right phrasing and sentence structure, or even just thinking of the right word in English, because the FR>EN already did that for us. JP proofreading is still likely the longest and most "intense" phase of this project, as we're going over every single line, and for the most part we're changing something in every single line from that French basis to be more accurate - effectively removing the issue of things being lost in translation (twice), insofar as that's possible and we're not losing things in our own translation, which just seems inevitable to some degree.
    So then why not just translate directly from JP if we're still going over every single line and basically translating it from JP already? That's exactly because of what I mentioned about having a basis that allows for less energy spent per line. It's just much easier to point out what is wrong with a line than it is to give the correct line from the start, and I'd say this allows for the project to move ahead at a smoother pace.
    Since we're multiple FR & JP translators, there's additionally an issue of consistency there, and we're basically just alleviating this by a consistency pass in editing by a single editor after initial editing (for everything else) is done, same with retention of metre and tone.

I didn't really mean for this to get so in-depth, but I think it's good for transparency's sake, and hopefully explains why I think it's kinda weird for people to be so hung-up on the fact that it's a double translation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipRow View Post
    Also, what's this about McJon's translation being bad?
    I don't know about bad, per se, but I just personally know that there have been several times where I've cross-checked with his translation as well, and a lot of the time part of the sentences are just missing to simplify the translated line. That's really the only thing I could think of that's "bad" about it, but I also don't know what this whole deal with our group apparently fueling this notion comes from, unless it's some post I don't remember or don't know of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

It's right tho..they are spending so much time in proof reading that it no longer should be simple french - English translation.I believe one should judge by the end product rather than the process it came down to. If the end product meets the JP>English translation. It should be fair for it to be changed the heading as simply mouhoutsukai no yoru translation project. I don't know Japanese to judge both but you should know if you can judge it if it's fair

- - - Updated - - -

From my personal point of view I liked both mcjon's and hollow moon's TL.

- - - Updated - - -

From my personal point of view I liked both mcjon's and hollow moon's TL.

Looking forward to this, followed the twitter O:

屍鬼 Ghoul
    Blog Entries
    speaking of Kagetsu Tohya. I found a gba rom for Kagetsu Tohya and Tsukihime, Kagetsu works pretty nicely with a gba emulator but Tsukihime freezes. I kinda wanna see someone putting the english translation of Kagetsu on the gba rom for funsies
    here's the link for the roms:
    ****************************drive/folde...YPf-hzPgzMRPRg
    Last edited by Bureno; September 27th, 2020 at 01:41 PM.

A working clock is right all day…
    A working clock is right all day…

More details will be released as the patch gets closer to release. In the meantime, join the Discord on the OP
    Last edited by Alyinghood; September 22nd, 2020 at 11:50 PM.

Hey everyone, we have a release window for the English patch of Mahoyo!!!!!!

It will be released sometime between January 1, 1970 and January 19, 2038

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nice, a chance of releasing the same day as Tsukihime.

English translation of non translated parts are almost finished.Too late for to make the meme

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Viña del mar, chile)
    I so excited, finillay I'll can read it, and when is finished Stema released with oficial English XD

once happend something like that to me

I played Fate EXTRA on Japanese te first time it was hard, don't know nothing was writed there and I finished was really awesome, even I haven't the Avantage on the Servants Fights,
    And when I finished it, I went to a forum to talk abput and I knew then the English versión was released it was like

... are you f***ing kidding me...

F

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just saying, releasing the full completed translation patch of Mahoyo on April 12th 2021 will be raw kino swag. nipah

Your not a TYPE MOON fan if you don't even own a TM Merch or haven't fapped to a TM character.

Hello everyone, any updates on the new english chapters?

Also, I hope everyone is stays safe out here.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondEllisBeck View Post
    Hello everyone, any updates on the new english chapters?

Also, I hope everyone is stays safe out here.
    https://twitter.com/HollowMoonTL

First I want to say that I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas and New Years!

It's funny though, my family asked me what I wanted for Christmas the most and my answer was a new chapter or full english translation of (Witch on the Holy Night) of course they didn't know what I was talking about though lol.

So I've come to check on the status of the new chapter release and see if it's out already or when it will be?

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondEllisBeck View Post
    First I want to say that I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas and New Years!

It's funny though, my family asked me what I wanted for Christmas the most and my answer was a new chapter or full english translation of (Witch on the Holy Night) of course they didn't know what I was talking about though lol.

So I've come to check on the status of the new chapter release and see if it's out already or when it will be?
    Other than the status of twitter or discord, there are no changes.