Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 49121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: [Hollow Moon] Mahoutsukai no Yoru Translation Project

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    So uh, where's the update for yesterday?
    The update has not been posted for yesterday.

That's odd. Usually it's posted every two weeks on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    That's odd. Usually it's posted every two weeks on a Saturday.
    It has not been posted this time.

Any updates on this?

The update time changed to Sundays, the most recent update was a few hours ago. Seems like it'll probably be only a few months until the translation is fully completed.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    The translation itself is almost finished, but the JP double-check and editing are still a ways to go.
    burn your dread you coward

Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    The translation itself is almost finished, but the JP double-check and editing are still a ways to go.
    If we're just talking about translations, the game was actually fully translated into English around the end of 2020 (save for the earlier chapters that were being revised and maybe the extra stuff at the end of the game.) There were a few people on Twitter that were able to read the beta translation of the full game in English, and some others complaining about them receiving the game early.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber Alter View Post
    If we're just talking about translations, the game was actually fully translated into English around the end of 2020 (save for the earlier chapters that were being revised and maybe the extra stuff at the end of the game.) There were a few people on Twitter that were able to read the beta translation of the full game in English, and some others complaining about them receiving the game early.
    So i checked hollow moon's latest progress chart on their twitter. From what im understanding by FR TL is they're translating from french then JP TL means they're just double checking?

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber Alter View Post
    Shucks I missed it... Welp whatever, just gonne wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse_side98 View Post
    So i checked hollow moon's latest progress chart on their twitter. From what im understanding by FR TL is they're translating from french then JP TL means they're just double checking?
    This is what fumei had to say about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    KT was from Korean, but honestly, KT is bad, like REALLY bad, so I don't think it's an appropriate comparison.

Honestly, I'm not really even sure why the distinction is so important to Leftovers considering the workflow we're dealing with here. Because basically, the pitfalls of double translations should be obvious: you lose out on some (or a lot of, worst case) nuance, things like metaphors, wordplays, tone and metre - and all that's just when translating from JP into the first language. Now you go through that entire process again to get it into English, and there's obviously a lot lost in translation. I don't think anybody is really denying that this makes double translations kinda bad.

The way we've chosen to handle this project is specifically to counteract these issues with double translations.
    1) Translate from FR > EN
    2) Rigorously TLC between JP and the resulting EN
    3) Proofread and edit for consistency

The French translation into English gives a basis for the first pass of TLC, and unlike what most people seem to think we're doing, we're not just using that and changing some slight errors or mistranslations, but simply using it as a basis. Effectively, we're invoking Cunningham's law in a translation context, because aside from having to match tone and such from JP, it removes the need for the JP translators to spend as much time and energy on choosing the right phrasing and sentence structure, or even just thinking of the right word in English, because the FR>EN already did that for us. JP proofreading is still likely the longest and most "intense" phase of this project, as we're going over every single line, and for the most part we're changing something in every single line from that French basis to be more accurate - effectively removing the issue of things being lost in translation (twice), insofar as that's possible and we're not losing things in our own translation, which just seems inevitable to some degree.
    So then why not just translate directly from JP if we're still going over every single line and basically translating it from JP already? That's exactly because of what I mentioned about having a basis that allows for less energy spent per line. It's just much easier to point out what is wrong with a line than it is to give the correct line from the start, and I'd say this allows for the project to move ahead at a smoother pace.
    Since we're multiple FR & JP translators, there's additionally an issue of consistency there, and we're basically just alleviating this by a consistency pass in editing by a single editor after initial editing (for everything else) is done, same with retention of metre and tone.

I didn't really mean for this to get so in-depth, but I think it's good for transparency's sake, and hopefully explains why I think it's kinda weird for people to be so hung-up on the fact that it's a double translation.
    burn your dread you coward

Ok wow. Kudos to the guys. Just gonna say im really looking forward to the final product

US Friend Code
    This site won't let me update the OP 90% of the time, so I will cease posting updates here for now.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vimiani View Post
    This site won't let me update the OP 90% of the time, so I will cease posting updates here for now.
    Can you tell me what error you get? We might be able to fix it.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

US Friend Code
    Well, it let me do it this time. For the past month the editor was having a very hard time detecting that I edited anything at all for some reason, and wouldn't let me push an update to the OP due to that.

Looking forward to reading this again haven't read it since l read it in japanese years ago. Curious to see what the English translation is like.

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Viņa del mar, chile)
    Expecting to read it for the begining,I read the other team Translation until chapter 7 but then was very sad that they never continued
    now you guys have a 100% translation of FR-EN and hope the doble check ends soon, so luckand good job everyone in this project
    I hope we can have a patch soon.
    Thanks love you guys

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I took the liberty to change the title of this thread since I'm sure that's what most people know the project by at this point.

If anyone affiliated feels has strong feelings about the change let me know.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    I took the liberty to change the title of this thread since I'm sure that's what most people know the project by at this point.

If anyone affiliated feels has strong feelings about the change let me know.
    Just saw this, thank you very much!

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Viņa del mar, chile)
    really hyped by this

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh_maximaster View Post
    really hyped by this
    Same.
    I never thought I'd live to see this day, and now it is within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Same.
    I never thought I'd live to see this day, and now it is within reach.
    I look forward to the release in 4 years.