Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3811121314151823 ... LastLast

Thread: [Quest] Lostbelt Raising Project

Blog Entries

Year: 2018

How long has it been since I became scared of women?

How many times since then have I imagined such a moment?

I don’t know. It’s been so long that I’ve lost count. Yet, deep down, I’ve always known a day like this would come.

“…”

I am struck with silence. Having opened up her heart, Saber is looking straight at me with conviction. I, however, can only shift my gaze away to the side, unable to meet her pure, clear eyes. The more she looks at me, the more the heavy feeling in my chest festers.

I can’t face her. I don’t have the courage. Nor can I accept her feelings. I don’t have the right.

Even so, Saber deserves some sort of reply. Regardless of how I personally feel about the situation, I have to respond to her properly.

“W-well, um… I’m flattered to hear that, I guess…” I squeeze out of my quivering throat. “But… I’m sorry, but I don’t really… feel the same way…”

Ugh, what a lame response. I try my best to let her down lightly, but the results are predictably bad. There isn’t a hint of resolve in my quiet, shaky voice nor do I look her in the eyes. But in my current state, it’s the most I can muster.

“I understand.” Saber immediately responds. A curt, emotionless remark, betraying no sorrow.

I can’t help but wonder if she really thinks nothing of it, or if she wasn’t expecting anything to begin with. With her robotic stance, it’s difficult to gauge how she’s taking the rejection.

“Um… s-still, I’m really happy that you spoke your mind to me.” I add quickly. “If you ever have anything else you want to share, please feel free to do so.”

“Understood, Master.” She answers.

“…”

“…”

Shit, now what?

An awkward silence now fills the air between Saber and me. I’ve run out of things to say, but I also don’t have the guts to try to move past the topic. With only the lingering memory of the recent confession and rejection in the air, we stand still by the street side with no sense of purpose or drive.

Are things between us gonna be like this from now on? Now that I know how Saber feels, I’m even more conflicted about how to handle her than I was before. I just said that it’d be good to maybe not isolate her as much, but would it be right now to do that? Maybe it’d be best to establish some space between us? But that’s a little cruel and I don’t want to punish her for speaking her mind… but I also don’t want to encourage her affection and lead her on but also also—

AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!! I don’t know! I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know what to do.

Why is this even happening to begin with? Saber is in love with me? How could that be possible? I didn’t put that in her settings.

“Hmm…”

A bit curious, but also because I have nothing better to do, I take the chance to discreetly double-check Saber’s “Life”. It’s possible that during the heat of the moment back then, I might’ve made some sort of mistake in her input.

With keen focus, I perceive the invisible and gaze into Saber’s “Life”, the one I gave to her. It is a natural action, as simple as breathing. No switch is needed to be flipped; I merely have to stop ignoring it. And having created it myself, I am able to read the Life and see what I had dictated all those weeks ago.

Huh, as I thought, no such setting had been added when I first imparted Life unto her. Which means the reason for Saber’s affections must be entirely unrelated to my actions. I guess that means my Mind Break ability doesn’t affect a Servant’s status. Even if I break their mind, their Saint Graph – their soul – continues to assert its influence.

“…”

The tense silence continues. Having satisfied my curiosity, I look away once more while trying to think of what to say next. I see, right next to us, the still crowded street, bustling along with no regard to our affairs. These people walking along robotically, like boxes on a factory line… I wonder if they too have troubles like this? Troubles of love? Troubles of rejection? Troubles of uncertainty? Forgetting to dial back my powers, I blankly gaze at the crowd with wonder, seeing the Lives of half of them as they pass by.

“Huh?”

Suddenly, I notice something strange.

That’s… weird. That doesn’t make sense.

I wouldn’t have noticed it if I hadn’t had my powers turned on fully, but now that I have, I deliberately focus them harder to hone in on the anomaly.

There, on the other side of the road, just beyond the boundary of the marching masses, I see a Life. It is just another drop in the sea of Lives I can sense within this giant city. But this one is different. It’s nothing like I’ve ever seen before. For some reason, I’m not able to see it clearly. Though it can’t be described in terms of physical sense, it’s something akin to a hazy image. I know it’s there and I can sort of make out an outline, but the details are blurry, even when I focus my senses fully. This has never happened to me before.

But the truly strange thing, the truly alarming part, is that nothing’s there. I can sense a Life in that location but… I don’t see anyone standing there. No matter how much I strain my eyes, they see nothing but empty air. But my ESP can’t be wrong. Someone is there. But I can’t see her. But she has to be there. How is that possible? Unless—

“!”

The groceries in my hands fall to the ground as realization hits me. Shock and fear hit me so hard I lose any consideration for our surroundings; the only thing on my mind is the anomaly before me. I have to be careful and choose my next move carefully. There isn’t any room for mistakes here.

“Master?”

Before the grocery bags even hit the ground, Saber seems to notice my change in behavior. There’s not time to calmly explain to her what’s going on. If Saber noticed that I’m acting weirdly, then so will she. There’s no time left. It’s now do-or-die.

The strange Life I sense before me seems to flicker.

With panic and dread, I raise my arm, point to the spot, and shout out.

“Saber, someone’s there!!!”

My desperate roar echoes through the entire area.

In the very next instant, a sharp metallic sound replaces it.

It all happens in a flash.

The very moment I scream, the empty space I was pointing at is filled. A dark cloaked figure seemingly emerges from thin air. Its features are covered so that not even a clear silhouette can be made out, but my senses tell me it’s a woman and my instincts tell me it is Death.

An instant later, it is already in front of me, a sharp weapon pointed at my throat. Like lightning parting clouds, it speeds past the crowd of people, blowing them away, and solely drives its blade into my neck. Being lightning, I cannot dodge it, nor can I even notice its approach. By the time I’m able to process what happened, it’s already over. Her attack was instantaneous and therefore unstoppable. One second, one hit, one kill. Those are the rules of her perfect attack.

And yet, what can be heard is not the sound of piercing flesh, but the metallic ring of matching blades.

The lightning that tried to pierce me is stopped by the storm that swore to protect me.

“S-Saber…” I find myself gasping in shock.

Only centimeters in front of me is the side of Saber’s sword, extended to block the enemy attack. Somehow or another, it seems that Saber managed to respond and defend just in time.

Woah, what a close call. A single millisecond late and I’d be a corpse already. It was a good fortune that Saber noticed my reaction in time, or she might’ve responded too slowly to the sneak attack.

No, the true good fortune was the fact that I happened to have had my ability turned on at that moment and accidently noticed the invisible assailant. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have seen them coming at all.

“Tch.” The cloaked woman seems to click her tongue, before jumping back.

Saber, however, doesn’t seem willing to let her go. The moment the opponent makes some distance, Saber closes it and seamlessly transitions from defense to offense. Her twin blades slice through the air and slash at the retreating figure.

But her attacks are blocked easily. The two famed swords which I’ve seen slash through countless enemies are deflected to the side. In the opponent’s hands are now two small daggers, as black as the night sky. Despite their size, those blades managed to fend off Saber’s superhuman strike.

There’s no doubt about it then. This cloaked woman has to be a Servant!

Wise-up! Demonic Assassin's Status
    Class: Assassin
    True Name: ???
    Region: ???
    Origin: ???

Parameters:
    STR: D
    END: D
    AGI: A
    MGI: B
    LCK: D
    NP: C

The two Servants begin to fight in the middle of the narrow street. The civilians nearby quickly disperse away from the battle as both sparks and killing intent fill the area.

Even during the heated brawl, Assassin’s cloak doesn’t fall, and her face and body remain hidden. The only thing that can be seen are two small hands in gloves wielding those black daggers with superhuman dexterity. Considering her fighting style and her initial attack, it’s probably safe to assume that she is the one who ambushed the Emperor yesterday. In other words, she’s the assassin we’ve been after this whole time.

The fact that she was able to get so close to us without us noticing is a true testament to her stealth abilities. In fact, it’s possible that she’s been right beside Saber and me this whole time without us noticing, perhaps spying on us before deciding to kill us. Unfortunately, I managed to sense her before we got home. I don’t know what ability she was using to make herself invisible and undetectable, but it seems that it doesn’t take into account my sixth sense. And so, the moment I noticed her, she launched her attack. Did she panic because she was suddenly discovered or was she trying to silence me? I don’t know, but it’s clear she isn’t someone to be trifled with.

“S-Saber, be careful. She’s strong.” I call out, having analyzed the enemy’s parameters.

“Master, please stay back. I’ve got this.” Saber replies through breaths and grunts. The rest of her focus seems spent on the intense back and forth between her and Assassin.

Though I don’t doubt her abilities, I can’t help but worry about Saber. Even though she has the physical advantage, it doesn’t seem like this will be an easy victory. If only there was something I can do to help.

… no, there is. There is a way to end this battle instantly.

I don’t know why but I can see the enemy Assassin’s “Life” clearly now, even though it was blurry before. It probably wouldn’t work while it was blurry, but right now… I can break her mind. I can not only defeat her without Saber getting hurt, but I can also add another ally to our team.

But if I do that, she’ll end up just like Saber.

Clang!

Another sharp ring interrupts my thoughts, followed by a dull thud. When I look at the source, I find a dagger fallen by my feet. It seems that Saber managed to disarm one of the Assassin’s blades. It should only be a matter of time now before she wins…

Or so I thought. But the moment things are turning up, the cloaked, dagger-wielding figure suddenly disappears.

“Huh?” I gasp at the strange sight.

The way she vanished was weird. Instead of going into spirit form like I’d expect, her figure seemed to cave into itself until it wasn’t visible anymore.

“…?” Saber pauses and begins looking around frantically. It seems she’s at a loss now that her opponent has disappeared.

Was this Assassin’s stealth ability? Somehow or another, she seemed to just vanish from sight completely. If she was just in spirit form, there were ways to track her, but the cloaked figure was just gone now. It was a truly quintessential Assassin ability. No one could possibly find her now that she had vanished from all sight.

That is, except for me.

“Saber, she’s running away over there!” I declare and point down the street.

I don’t know the reason behind it, but I can still sense her while she’s invisible using my ESP. The moment she disappeared, I was still able to see her Life as she retreated hastily. Unfortunately, her Life has become blurry again so I need to fully focus to track her and I don’t think I can break her mind right now. Dammit, did I miss my chance due to hesitation?

“Master, your orders.” Saber quickly asks. It looks like she wants to give chase, but more than that, she’s awaiting my instructions.

Shit, what do we do? I wasn’t expecting a situation like this.

Should we give chase? But it seems rather suspicious how Assassin retreated. It’s possible she’s leading us into a trap or something. Plus, right now, only Saber and I are here to fight her; the others are still at home. I don’t like those odds.

However, if we pass up this chance, we might not get it again. The enemy Assassin’s stealth is superb. It was only luck and coincidence that she revealed herself and we found her this time. If we let her go now, we may never even see her again or she may find a way to assassinate us without us noticing next time.

Can we split up somehow? Have one of us go get the others while the other one follows the Assassin? But I’m the only one who can sense her, so it’d have to be me to follow her alone while Saber gets the others. Would that be a good idea?

Ahhhhhh, there’s no time to think. Every second I ponder; Assassin gets further and further away. What do I do!?

Choice!
    You have encountered the enemy Assassin Servant, but she is now running away from you. The only one with you is Saber and the only one who can sense the enemy is you with your ESP. What should you do?

1. Don’t let her get away. Follow the enemy with Saber.
    2. It’s too dangerous. Fall back for now and return home.
    3. Have Saber get the others while you follow the enemy alone.
    4. Write-In

3 seems like is a terrible idea, so is tempting in its own way. 2 makes sense.

1. Don’t let her get away. Follow the enemy with Saber.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really think 2 is the most sensible action, so...

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    She ain’t getting away this time
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the god of world-0 View Post
    I really think 2 is the most sensible action, so...

Agreeing for the exact same reason

Blog Entries

“Saber, we’re going after her!”

Making my decision, I give the order to Saber. Immediately, without another word, she grabs me and begins to run in the direction I pointed, carrying me under her arm. With me guiding her, we should be able to follow the Assassin and eventually catch up.

To be honest, I’m not too certain on chasing her; there’s a good chance that we’re being led into a trap or something. However, we can’t just let her get away either. If we miss this lucky chance now, we may never catch the assassin again. We’ll have to live in constant fear of potential assassination from now on. On the other hand, if we can take her out here now, there will be nothing to fear. That’s why I’m gambling on this opportunity!

Like some sort of ninja, Saber runs through the city at hyper-speed, all while carrying me in her arms. To get through the narrow streets and large crowds, she jumps through the air from platform to platform, occasionally even running up walls. It’s truly a heroic feat of agility.

The enemy, however, isn’t any less capable. She’s moving just as hastily all while moving in weird ways to throw us off. It’s hard to tell since I can only see her Life hazily, but there are times where it feels like she’s just straight up flying in the air or where she goes through some crazy narrow gap, uninhibited by gravity or size. Even though Saber’s pure speed is superior, the Assassin’s clever navigation tricks keep us from catching up immediately. Just what kind of power does she have that lets her move like that?

“Master. May I ask you something?” Saber suddenly inquires mid-chase.

“Huh? If it’s important than sure.” I answer while trying to keep my focus on the enemy’s movements. I doubt Saber would make idle chit-chat in the middle of battle so this is probably important.

“Well, I’d like to know how you are detecting the enemy.” She wonders.

“Eh? Ah, well… that’s…” I mumble.

“If you know some sort of weakness in the enemy’s stealth, please let me know. It may be vital for this battle.” She urges me diligently.

Shit, what do I say? I wasn’t expecting this, but I guess it’s only natural for her to want to know. The fact that I’m able to detect the seemingly undetectable is a major advantage and one that may tip the scales of the battle. That information could be incredibly useful if used wisely.

But… should I tell her? I’ve never told anyone else about this power before…

What would Saber think if she learned about my ability – the power I used on her?

… there’s no way I can do that.

“No, well… sorry. It’s just a unique skill I have that lets me sense people. It’s not all-powerful, but I can barely make out her general location.” I finally admit, deciding to keep things vague.

“… I understand. Then I’ll follow your instructions, Master.” Saber nods. It seems that that explanation satisfied her… for now.

With that settled, we continue the chase, not letting the issue distract us from our main mission. It’s been maybe a couple of minutes since we started following the Assassin Servant, but there doesn’t seem to be any traps yet. Is she really just trying to lose us? The more we go around the city, the more of a fuss we cause, so an extended chase should favor us. At this rate, it shouldn’t be too long before we corner her.

Just when I’m feeling confident, though…

“Huh?”

I notice the blurry Life move in a strange way. Judging from where she was moving…

“She went inside that building, Saber.” I declare, pointing at the collection of gray walls that I saw her slip into.

Though the enemy had gone through narrow alleys before, this is the first time she’s just straight up entered a building. After all, going inside during a chase will only limit one’s freedom of escape. For her to do so now must mean something in particular. We should be careful about this and cautiously—

“Affirmative. Charging in!” Saber announced before simply leaping towards the wall.

Wait, what?

Bam!

A loud noise could be heard as we broke through the frosted window on the building exterior. We entered the building dramatically before landing on the floor, shards of glass falling all around us. The window was pretty high up, so we fell quite a bit, but Saber took the impact without transferring any of it to me.

Having successfully gotten in, Saber took a moment to check I wasn’t injured before nodding with satisfaction.

“Alright.”

“Alright, my ass! That was way too reckless, idiot!”

I immediately berate her. What a conspicuous way of entry! For a moment, my heart skipped a beat from the sudden drop downwards.

I want to scold Saber more, but this isn’t really the time. I suppose, also, that that was indeed the quickest way to get inside. The most important job is to locate the Assassin who should be inside here. I turn away from Saber to look around for the enemy and—

“… w-w-w-wha—”

My words are caught in my throat. Surprise, shock, and doubt assail me all at once as I notice where we are.

Hot humid air fills the building interior. A hazy thin steam lightly clouds the surroundings. The somewhat fragrant scent of cleaning products could be smelt all around. But most of all, everywhere my eye could see were women. And not a single one of them had a speck of clothing on their body.

“What the hell!?” I scream as the realization hits me. It seems that the place that Saber and I had entered was one of the public bathhouses in the city – the women’s bath to be precise.

Everywhere I look I saw bare flesh. An endless feast of eye candy was laid before me – busts and waists and hips and butts and more all exposed from women of every shape, size, and age. Such defenseless, naked bodies clouded every inch of my vision.

A moment later, the women, who had been curiously looking at the source of the loud sound, also seemed to realize that someone had suddenly intruded into the baths. Their subsequent reaction was only natural.

“““KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!”””

A chorus of flustered screams echoes through the baths. A general sense of surprise and panic quickly spreads through the area, like sound rippling in water.

The ruckus snaps me out of my shocked trance. Regaining my sense of self, I immediately look away. Closing my eyes shut and turning my head around, I shut off my senses with everything I have, as if running from reality. My face must already be redder than a tomato. All I want to do is curl up in a ball or run away as fast as I can.

But before my flight instinct fully kicks in, a hand suddenly grabs my shoulder.

“Master! Where is she!?” Saber yells, louder than any of the shrieks.

That voice brings me back to my senses. That’s right, we’re here to look for the enemy Assassin. I can’t let this distract me.

Mustering up my courage, I concentrate once more and gaze into the sea of nude women. I know I saw the enemy go inside here so she must still be around here somewhere. I focus my powers to sense the Life around me but…

“Shit.”

A curse slips from my lips as my power turns on and I instantly get a headache.

Numerous presences begin to fill my perception. Simply turning them on causes the Life of every single woman in this bathhouse to enter my view, like a floodgate of information being opened. My rusty senses immediately creak under that pressure. The psychic ability I’ve neglected for so long can’t handle reading this many Lives at once; my brain begins to hurt just from trying.

Dammit, there’s too many women here. I can’t find the target within this haystack of signatures. Was this her plan!?

“Master? Are you okay?” Saber asks after noticing my struggle.

I don’t answer her, merely gritting my teeth and focusing on the dilemma at hand.

I know the enemy’s here. I saw her come inside and nobody’s left. I don’t see any hazy presences either like before, so I don’t think she’s invisible. This is just a hypothesis, but judging from the earlier encounter, I believe that her Life only becomes blurry while she’s invisible; when she’s fully materialized, I can see her Life clearly like I did back during the previous fight. That means she’s here. She must be physically present inside this bathhouse, probably blending in with the crowd. We weren’t able to see what she looked like earlier so she could be any one of these women, just acting like she’s a normal civilian.

What do I do? Unless I somehow single her out, we can’t fight her. Saber’s relying on me right now, so I can’t let her down.

Think. Can I find her based on her Life reading? I memorized what her Life looks like earlier so I can tell if a specific one belongs to her but… I’d have to intensively read every single Life in this room to do that. I don’t know if my brain can I handle that amount of strain. If I fail, I might even faint like I did before.

Then what else can I do? Is there any other way to differentiate her?

There’s no time. The bathing ladies are panicking. If they start running away, the Assassin may escape in the chaos.

I have to find her now!

Choice!
    The enemy Assassin has blended in among a crowd of women in the public bathhouse. You must find a way to determine which of them is your target. What method will you try?

1. Use your ESP even if it puts a strain on you.
    2. Look for a woman who matches her general size and body-type.
    3. Ask people if they saw someone else enter through the window/wall.
    4. Try to sense based on magical energy
    5. First of all, let’s try to calm all the women down to buy some time.
    6. Write-In

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanagan View Post
    Agreed

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Fate / White Memoria

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Feels like there is no real option but 1., unless someone decided to big brain with 6.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Using protagonist powers at the cost of our own health is the main character route after all!

1. It's time to shatter Ben's sanity a little more, people !

Blog Entries
    Aack, a really tricky situation...

Now Revamped!

Blog Entries

I have no choice.

There’s only one way to find the enemy.

I grit my teeth and glare intently at the crowd of women. With vigorous resolve, I open up my psychic circuits to their maximum capacity and take in everything before me.

I’ll have to use my ESP to sense Assassin. Even if it’s risky, even if it’s painful, I have to use all of my power to catch this foe. I can’t hold anything back!

“Gnnn…!”

The moment I open my circuits fully, a wave of information immediately hits me. Numerous sensations assail every part of my being. Raw unreadable data enters my brain like air rapidly filling a balloon. And within a single moment, the balloon began to burst.

“Gah!”

I immediately cry out from pain. The feed cuts off and my body stumbles.

“Master!?” Saber responds swiftly and moves to catch me, but I manage to balance myself at the last second.

“Hah… hah… I’m fine, Saber. I got this.” I tell her through pained gasps.

In truth, though, I’m just acting tough.

Just trying it for a single second is enough for me to know how unreasonable this task is. I can’t do this. I don’t even stand a chance. Trying to scan this many Lives at once is too much for my brain. It’s like staring straight at the sun or trying to play a hundred “Find the Difference” picture games at the same time. It was simply overwhelming.

Cold sweat drips down my back without me even realizing. My body is shaking, screaming at me not to try that ever again. It knows that if I go too far, I may never come back.

… but I have to try again. There’s no time to leisurely scan through the crowd of Lives one by one. I need to find the Assassin without any delay.

“Saber… hah… please get ready…” I pant while straightening my back once more. “No matter what happens… don’t worry about me… the moment I find the enemy… hah… don’t let her escape...”

“Master…” Saber replies with clear worry, but still nods with understanding. “Affirmative. I won’t fail you.”

It seems that Saber is placing her trust in me. Whether or not that’s merely the effect of my power isn’t the point; it’s just nice to know there’s someone here that believes in me. Knowing that, there’s no way I can back down now.

Let’s do this one more time.

Open the circuit

Release all inhibitors

Narrow the focus

Widen the view

Capture the world

Conquer oneself

Mind Scan!

Wise-up! Player's Status
    Mind Scan
    A sublimation of the player’s psychic ability, Mind Break. Instead of destroying and rewriting minds, this technique utilizes the perception-aspect of Mind Break to sense and locate applicable targets. With more training, it may be possible to extend the range and maximum number of targets of this skill. It may even be possible to change what info the user is able to “read”.

I see it. I see it all.

The Lives of every women nearby open up before me. They are all subtly different; every single one is unique. Shaped by years of experience, colored by personal circumstance, the many Lives all correspond only to themselves. Just as no two people are perfectly alike, no two Lives are the same. Each and every one carries the weight of personal history. Each and every one is something precious and irreplaceable.

“Ah.”

My vision goes dark. Everything goes silent. The scent of the baths, the taste in my mouth, and even the feel of my clothes vanishes into nothingness. All 5 of my other senses shut down as the sixth takes their place. There is nothing left other than the Lives before me. I can’t even the feel the throbbing pain anymore.

For a moment, I wonder… is this what it feels like to die? For everything around you to vanish, to be stuck in an endless void without reference, could that be what death is like? If so… maybe it wouldn’t be so bad.

But I can’t die now. Not yet. I’m not allowed to die just yet. I made a promise, to her and to myself, that I would live with everything I had. That’s why I have to overcome this!

“Master?”

With a jolt, my other senses return to me, just in time to hear Saber’s concern. Returning to consciousness, I realize that I’m suddenly on my knees and slouched over. Both my sight and hearing are fuzzy. I can see stars swirling around and my limbs feel dull. There’s no doubt that I’ve lost most of my practical functionality.

However,

“… I found you.”

Filled with triumphant resolve, I declare my victory as I point through the crowd of fleeing women. There at the end of my finger is our target.

“You’re the enemy Servant!”

It is a slender, cool-looking woman who wouldn’t look out of place just walking by in the local marketplace. She had been submerged in one of the baths and making a panicked expression just like all the other women near her. Under normal circumstances, there was no way to have picked her out from the crowd. But I know for a fact now that she is the enemy.

Fulfilling her promise, Saber immediately jumps into action. She leaps forwards, across the entire room, and brings out her blade. Not even a few seconds after I pointed her out, Saber is already in front of her opponent and swinging down her sword.

But that high-speed guillotine is swiftly stopped by a rising shadow. Now in the hands of the woman is a familiar black dagger blocking Saber’s attack.

My deduction was correct. She is the Demonic Assassin after all!

“Tch.” Assassin clicks her tongue with clear frustration. It seems like she wasn’t expecting us to find her.

Not letting even that small agitation be wasted, Saber immediately follows up with another attack. Raising her other arm, she swings it horizontally to cut off the enemy’s neck. Assassin, however, jumps back just in time, avoiding the fatal blow within an inch of her life.

Having missed her mark and hit nothing but air, Saber’s body twists a bit too far and her left side is momentarily exposed. Assassin doesn’t let that opening go to waste. She springs back to attack with keen hostility. Just when she raises her dagger, though, her body suddenly spins around and she round-houses Saber’s open torso.

“Guh!” Saber grimaces as pain shows on her usually blank face.

Despite Assassin’s thin frame, it seems like her kick was rather heavy. Even the tough Saber is momentarily stunned by the clean hit. In that window, Assassin chains her offense with a sharp elbow swing to the temple. It is only by a hair that Saber avoids it by twisting her neck with the blow and then taking a step back.

“Woah…” I find myself gasping.

As always, I’m left in nothing but awe watching two Heroic Spirits fighting. That trade of offense and defense that happened in only a few seconds was proof of their superior technique and strength and I can only watch with wonder. Saber was as awesome as always, combining her sonic speed with precise, calculated strikes, but Assassin wasn’t a slouch either. It seems that her dagger isn’t her only weapon. Rather, it might be more accurate to say that her entire body is a weapon. Could her true identity be some famed martial arts master? I watch their escalating battle with keen eyes to see what I can gather about the enemy.

The other bystanders aren’t so excited though. The shrieks from earlier turn into full screams as fear and shock spread throughout the bathhouse. Many women begin to run away from the clashing warriors, while others are frozen stiff like deer in headlights. I’d love to go help evacuate them, but my own body’s also immobile – far past its limit from over-exerting myself earlier.

And so, before my fixated eyes, the two Servants begin fighting with everything on the line.

Speed. Technique. Killing intent. These aspects are displayed at full force as the two warriors fight with everything at their disposal. Saber strikes like sudden lightning. Her movements are minimal but precise. Each and every blow is carefully calculated for maximum effectiveness and there is no waste in either offense or defense. Assassin, however, fights back like a fierce storm. Rather than merely swinging her dagger, she utilizes every limb she has in battle, striking from every angle at any moment. There isn’t a single part of her body that isn’t in motion at all times. Fighting against her must feel like facing an entire army at once. It just happens, though, that Saber is an expert at fighting multiple opponents by herself. She smoothly sees through the countless attacks and deals with each one appropriately. Unpredictable mobility is countered with instantaneous insight and vice versa. Entangled in a deadly dance, the two are evenly matched. It is an exact reproduction of their fight from just earlier.

… no, that’s not correct. There is a difference. Saber is still equipped with both her weapons, but Assassin has already lost one of hers. Ever so slight, that difference now decides the battle.

“Got you!” Saber grunts and parries an incoming blade with her own. That defense transitions to offense in the blink of an eye as her other sword swings in the slight opening from that attack.

“Gah!” A clear sound of pain escapes Assassin’s lip.

S-she hit her. Saber landed a hit!

“…”

Leaping back to gain distance, Assassin quickly regains her composure and readies her battle stance without emotion. But no amount of silence can erase her grimace from earlier nor the gash on her left shoulder. Her arm was now hanging a bit weirdly and blood was already pouring down it. It was clearly not an insignificant injury.

Alright, Saber drew first blood! Even an amateur like me can tell now who has the clear advantage in this fight.

Or so I thought. But the moment I celebrate, the Assassin suddenly vanishes from my vision once more.

She isn’t turning invisible this time, though. No, she merely moves faster than I can see and, before I know it, has zipped to one end of the bathhouse. In one viciously smooth motion, she grabs one of the nearby cowering women by her hair, pulls her up, and brings the dagger to her neck.

“Don’t move. Come any closer and I kill her.” She declares.

“W-wha…” I gawk at the turn of events.

A hostage? Is she serious? What kind of dirty tactic is that?

Dammit, this is just like before. The moment we gain the advantage, Assassin finds a way to escape defeat. What a troublesome opponent.

More importantly, what are we going to do? We can’t get any closer without risking that woman’s life. Saber may be fast, but even she probably can’t close the distance before Assassin can slit the person’s throat. If I had some sort of long-range attack magic, we might be able to pull something off, but I don’t have anything so useful. I’ve also already overexerted my ESP, so I don’t think I can pull of a Mind Break in my current condition.

It’s no good. I didn’t see this coming at all. Do we really have to give up here? Or do we have to sacrifice an innocent person to defeat the opponent? Either way, there is no solution.

We’re screwed…

“I thought you’d do that.”

““Huh?””

Both Assassin and I are confused when Saber suddenly speaks up with confidence. We immediately look at her with shock, only to notice the red cloth now in her hands. Our eyes end up following the rope across the room to find its other end wrapped around Assassin’s ankle.

“What? When did you—” Assassin exclaims with uncharacteristic panic. Her trained body immediately moves in response, thrusting the dagger into the hostage’s throat, but it’s already too late.

“Now, I’ve got you for sure.” Saber declares with strong intent.

She tugs hard on her famed lasso and pulls the Assassin’s foot upwards. The enemy immediately loses balance and misses her target’s throat. The very next moment, Saber flies across the room and jump kicks the defenseless Servant right in the face.

Assassin is sent flying across the bathhouse and crashed into the wall on the other end before bouncing and falling into one of the baths. It’s a brutal sight straight out of an action blockbuster.

“Given the current circumstances, it was obvious you would try to take a hostage.” Saber states as she lands after her jump kick. Now equipped with a sword in one hand and her lasso in the other, she confronts the enemy with prosaic contempt. “Anyone would have predicted such a standard tactic, so it was only natural to preempt a counter against it.”

Eh? Was it really that obvious? B-but I didn’t see coming at all. Does that mean I’m an idiot?

“Furthermore, now that I have you on leash, you won’t be able to escape by turning invisible either. Thus, I have successfully completed my orders to keep you from escaping.” Saber adds plainly.

Oh yeah, that’s right. I did order her to not let the enemy escape. It seems that that had been her top priority all this time. To fulfill it so efficiently, I’m truly impressed.

While I’m gawking over Saber, Assassin finally gets back up from the pool she landed in. Drenched in hot water and glaring daggers at Saber, she seems rather heated from that attack. A clear red mark could already be seen on her cheek. Coupled with the wound from earlier, she clearly wasn’t in the best of conditions.

However, seeing her like that reminds me of the infamous saying. A beast is most dangerous when cornered. Even though it may seem that we have her to the wall, we have to remain cautious, especially considering how crafty the enemy’s proven to be already.

“Now then, Master. Please give me your next set of orders.” Saber suddenly inquires, glancing back at me.

It seems like she expects more commands from me now that the mission I gave her earlier has been completed. What should I tell her now?

Choice!
    You’ve cornered the enemy, Demonic Assassin. How should you finish her off?

Buster: There is no need for tricks. Just attack head-on. No matter what trump card she may have, Saber can overpower her.
    Arts: Patience is virtue. Wait to see what she’ll try to do first so you can deal with it fully prepared.
    Quick: Offense is the best defense. Rush her as quickly and ferociously as possible, not giving her any chance to try anything.
    Extra: Write-In

Note: Your brain is too exhausted to use Mind Break anymore.

References
    Demonic Assassin

Quick: Offense is the best defense. Rush her as quickly and ferociously as possible, not giving her any chance to try anything.

Blog Entries
    ​Quick

Now Revamped!

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Q-Q-QUICK-!

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Buster

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Buster
    +1

Fate / White Memoria