Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16212425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: [Quest] Lostbelt Raising Project

Blog Entries

Year:

“Bianca…”

I try to calm myself as I search for the words to say. I need to think carefully about what I want to tell her.

Normal reasoning and common sense won’t work on Bianca. Things that would be obvious to any other person are alien concepts for her. In her mind, things like ethics and morality are non-issues. She simply doesn’t think such things apply to her, because of how special she is. Therefore, no matter how much I argue it, the idea that she’s doing something bad has no effect on her.

In that case, I have to reword my approach in a way that can get through her thick skull. If she only cares about herself, I have to make her think about the topic in terms of her self.

“Bianca, have you ever considered what it would be like to be mind controlled?” I finally ask her.

“Huh?” She responds with a tilt of her head.

“For example, what if I used my power on you right here, right now? What if I used Mind Break to make you do whatever I want regardless of your own will or desire? How would you feel about that?” I interrogate firmly.

“Hm? Well…” Bianca begins to ponder.

Bringing her hand to her chin, she makes a pensive expression as the gears in her head visibly start turning. It seems that she’s taking the question rather seriously.

I’m sure it’s a question she has never thought much about in the past. For her who considers herself the only player in the world, the idea that the tables could be turned on her must be foreign to her. That’s exactly why I need to make her properly think about it and put herself in the shoes of others.

“Hmmm, I’m not sure.” Bianca finally answered after her brief moment of thought. “I don’t really know how I would feel. I mean… that’s not up to me, right?”

“Eh? What do you mean?”

“In that scenario, you’re the one who would decide how I would feel. That’s the whole point of our abilities, isn’t it? So, whether I like it or not depends on what setting you’d input.” She calmly states.

Well… she’s not wrong.

“No, no, that’s not the point.” I shake my head emphatically. “I mean, how would the current you feel about being mind-controlled? About having your free will stripped away and having your mind violated by someone else? Doesn’t that thought scare you?”

“Hmm, I don’t really like thinking like that. I think it’s just unnecessarily stressful to get worked up over that kind of stuff.” Bianca remarks nonchalantly.

“Over mind control?” I ask, surprised at her thoughts.

“No, just the future in general. I feel like it’s no good to get anxious about uncertainties, so I try not to think about it too much.” Bianca explains. “Besides, what’s more important is how you feel afterwards, not how you feel before, right? Like, everyone’s scared about going to the dentist beforehand, but then they feel good about it after since their teeth don’t hurt anymore. We don’t say that going to the dentist is bad just because we’re scared of it, do we?”

Giving a blasé expression, Bianca pulls up her chin haughtily.

“I guess that’s how they’re programmed, but NPCs sure seem to like worrying all the time. Personally, I think getting all anxious over things you can’t control is silly. If you start caring about stuff like that, you’ll never be able to enjoy the moment.” She states.

“So what? Are you saying you aren’t scared of being brainwashed?” I ask her directly.

“Hm? No, not really.” She just shrugs. “I don’t really care.”

I’m astonished.

I was certain that playing towards her own potential fear would help Bianca start to put herself in other people’s shoes, but I hadn’t expected the chance that she would be so apathetic to it.

“W-why?” I question in a quiver voice. “Why does it not bother you? It’s mind control, you know. Brainwashing. You’ll lose all semblance of free will. You won’t even be you anymore. The you that’s here right now will cease to exist. It might as well be death!”

“Yeah, I don’t mind. You’re free to go ahead if you want.” She bluntly replies.

My shock and disbelief become immeasurable. Bianca has far surpassed my expectations.

“Honestly, it doesn’t really matter. Nothing really matters. Living, dying, free will or not, it’s all the same. As long as I’m having fun, I don’t really care.” She says, almost sighing, with blank, lifeless eyes that have lost all their light.

“You… aren’t even afraid of death?” I gape at her incredulous statements.

“Nah, not really. I’m not like normal people after all. Stuff like regrets or lack of fulfillment are for those who aren’t competent enough to do whatever they want. But I’ve already gotten everything I could ever want so many times over that it makes me yawn. So, I don’t really care if I were to die right now.” She explains in a somber tone. “Well, actually dying seems like it’d hurt a lot, so that’s a minus, but it doesn’t sound like Mind Break is painful, so whatever.”

I see. I now understand what’s up with this stupid girl.

Bianca Chrome has no fear. All her life, everything has always gone her way. No one has ever told her no and nothing has ever gone against her plans. That’s why she has no sense of anxiety. Since everyone does as she pleases, there are no uncertainties and there’s nothing to be scared of. That’s why the idea of fretting about the future feels alien to her.

Bianca has never needed to think about the future since she always knew that things would work out however she wanted. She only has to live in the moment, indulging in physical sensations through instant gratification. That way, every day is utterly perfect and the happiest day of her life. There will never be a sadder day and there will never be a happier day. Since she already has anything and everything she could ever want, there’s nothing for her to work towards, nothing for her to regret when she dies and… nothing for her to live for.

That’s… kind of sad.

“Ah, we kind of got off track there, Ben. What were we talking about? Oh, right, you were complaining about how I use my powers.” Bianca continues with no regard for my stunned state. “Honestly, I still don’t get why you’re so huffy about it. Caring about silly stuff like right or wrong is beneath us. We’re the players so we don’t need to involve ourselves with NPC matters like morality. There’s nothing to threaten us so there’s nothing to worry about. Isn’t that great? You can live a life without any stress or anxiety if you’d just stop beating yourself up, Ben.”

“… yeah, you’re probably right.” I sigh heavily.

“Oh?” Bianca perks up, raising a brow. “You actually agree? Have you finally come to your senses?”

“Even I know that I’m missing out on a lot in life. I have no friends, I have no hobbies, I have no treasured memories. When I reflect, I realize how few times I’ve genuinely had fun or smiled before in my entire life. I’m sure if I could just loosen up like you, I’d be a lot happier.” I admit reluctantly.

“So, you do get it! That’s great, Ben!” Bianca eagerly beams, clapping her hands together.

Her eyes light up with hope washing away all of the previous dull, lifelessness as if a single word could part the clouds in her mind. In sharp contrast, though, I feel more miserable than ever as I hang my head in shame.

The truth is, she’s not entirely wrong. Most humans are naturally cooperative and empathetic. Only by working together and supporting each other can they become greater than their sum and manage to survive and thrive in this world. And from that bond, love and justice are able to be born. One could say that such things are a necessity for the continued existence of humanity. But what if such things are not necessary. What if someone can thrive on their own not through the support of others but by manipulating them? Does that person need to care about good and evil? Does that person need to care about the people they control anymore than the animals they eat? Probably not.

If such a person exist, they would surely possess a peace of mind that few other people can ever obtain. In a sense, one could even say that they would reach be removed from all human concerns and reach a type of enlightenment. Such an existence would surely be far happier than any other human life. Such an existence would only be natural for such a person.

But—

“But, I can’t.”

“… Huh?”

The moment the words leave my mouth, Bianca’s smile fades just as quickly as it appeared.

Quietly and slowly, I lift my head and meet her eyes.

“You see, Bianca… I’m a coward.” I confess to her. “I can’t be like you. I’m just too much of a scaredy-cat.”

“Wh-what are you talking about, Ben? You’re a Player too so you don’t have to—” Bianca stammers.

“But I do. I get scared really easily. I worry about all the most pointless things and I always feel anxious. Whenever I talk to someone, I fret over what to say and how I look. When there’s something important happening the next day, I can barely sleep at night as I think about all the ways that things can go wrong. I’m scared of dying. I’m scared of the future. I’m scared of other people. There’s no end to the things that frighten me.” I tell her, clutching my chest as the contents of my heart spill out.

A familiar pit in my stomach churns as it always does, winding up my body until I feel like a shriveled up, quivering mess.

“But y’know, more than any of that, I’m scared of myself. I’m scared of what I might do and who I might become. I don’t want to be monster. I don’t want other people to think of me as a monster. I don’t want to accept that I am a monster.” I say, digging my nails deeper into my chest as if to draw blood from my heart. “To you, that might be stupid, but I can’t help but be afraid of my own reflection. For the past ten years of my life, there has been nothing I’ve been more scared of and hated more than myself.”

I pause for a second and bit my lip, as if holding back something shaking withing me.

“But recently… that changed. For the first time, there’s something else that frightens me even more than my own shadow. No, it frightens me because it’s no different from my own shadow.”

I take a final sigh and force out my final words towards the specter staring across from me with lifeless eyes.

“Bianca, you scare me.” I sincerely admit. “I’m afraid of you. That’s why I can’t be like you.”

That’s all I could say to her. Even if she doesn’t fear herself and other people can’t fear her, I alone am still afraid of her. I alone can see what kind of monster she is. If no one else will hate her, then I’ll hate her enough for everyone.

If she is the way she is now because she has never encountered conflict, never known fear, and never questioned herself, then I’ll give her enough trouble, anxiety, and doubt to smack that arrogance out of her.

“…”

Bianca is silent.

After my declaration, she froze up and has remained standing still, stiff as a board. Her arms dangle limply by her side and her eyes lose all their light. At that moment, she looked no different from a hollow doll, devoid of all life.

And then, so quietly as to be nearly inaudible, she murmurs.

“… I thought you would understand.”

Before I can even react, she starts sprinting away, rushing out of the bedroom and slamming the door behind her. The last thing I see as she passes by me are the slight traces of tears beginning to well up in her eyes.

After the door closes, I hear the slightly distant sound of the adjacent door to Bianca’s room violently opening and closing as well. In the end, I’m left all alone in the room once more.

Reflecting on everything that had just happened, I slowly saunter back to my own bed and collapse onto it, feeling exhausted. Not wanting to bother myself with that whole ordeal anymore, only a single thought remains in my mind.

“… who the hell would want to understand you?”

Blog Entries

Year:

“… can’t sleep.”

Before I know it, it’s night and I’m lying in bad unable to pass out.

After my altercation with Bianca earlier in the day, I ended up spending the rest of the day in the room. Even though I probably have a lot of things I should be doing, I just wasn’t in the mood. Mostly though, I didn’t want to run into Bianca, so I hid away in my little hole.

When I peaked outside for a bit, I found a tray of food for dinner outside my door, but other than that, I spent the whole day mulling in bed and musing over all sorts of stuff. Maybe that’s why, when night came, I didn’t feel sleepy at all.

“… maybe some fresh air would help.”

Feeling whatever the opposite of refreshed is, I pop open the window of the room and let in the cool outside air into the room. Almost immediately, the atmosphere within changes, feeling slightly less gloomy than before. The breeze feels just right and the scenery from the window is as beautiful as ever, even at night. At this angle of the house, I can’t see the lake, but the forest lit up with strange, ephemeral lights is no less fantastical.

It’s honestly amazing. How could such a peaceful place cause me so much strife? Despite its vast expanses of nature, this place feels even more suffocating than the cramped cities of Yao. It’s history’s most luxurious prison.

“Hm? What’s that sound?” I suddenly wonder as I hear something on the wind.

It kind of sounds like some sort of grunting or shouting. But looking around, I don’t see the source of it; it must be coming from the lakeside.

This late at night, I thought everyone would be asleep, so I can’t imagine what could possibly be making that noise. It kind of makes me curious.

I could just ignore it, but I honestly don’t have anything better to do and I don’t think I’ll run into Bianca, so I decide to check it out.

Year: 2018

“Oh, so it’s you two. What are you doing so late?”

After quietly sneaking through the sleeping mansion, I sauntered out the front door to find a certain pair of Servants out in front of the lake.

“Hm? Oh, if it isn’t Lord Bengshan? What are you doing out here?” Saber greets me as he notices my presence, putting down the sword in his hands.

“Oh. Hi there.” Scylla coolly adds with her usual blasé expression.

For some reason, the two of them were loitering outside the house, despite it being way past bedtime.

When I first came out to peek, before I called out to them, I had caught a shirtless Saber diligently swinging his sword through the air over and over again, while Scylla watched unenthusiastically on the sideline. Though I could tell what they were doing, the sight still confused me somewhat.

“Sorry for interrupting. I just heard some noise outside, so I came to check what it was.” I answer as I casually stroll up to them. “I guess that must’ve been your grunting.”

“I’m sorry, did I wake you up? My sincerest apologies, Lord Bengshan.” Saber immediately apologized with a genuinely remorseful look. With that expression, he sort of gives off the same aura as a sulking puppy.

“Nah, it’s okay. I couldn’t sleep anyways, which is why I ended up hearing you. But what are you exactly are you doing anyways?” I ask, still feeling in the dark.

“Oh, just some practice swings. I tend to milady all day, so I try to get in my training at night when she’s asleep.” Saber answers.

“Training? Even though you’re Servant?” I question in surprise.

“Yes. It might not have any physical effects, but it helps keep my mind sharp. A single day of idleness will rust even the sharpest blade.” Saber announces proudly. “Well, it’s also just a little habit of mine. I get antsy if I don’t sweat a little for an extended period of time.”

“So, you do this every day?” I wonder.

“You bet he does.” Scylla suddenly chimes in with a sour tone. “Hmph. It’s one thing to swing his monkey stick around, but he has to do it by my lake. Not a night of peace and quiet since I got here.”

“My apologies, Berserker. But, for the sake of our Master’s security, I can’t stray too far from the mansion. This is the only place where I can move around freely.” Saber says in a smooth and suave voice befitting a prince. “I greatly appreciate you allowing me to borrow your territory. Thank you, Berserker.”

“Eh, w-well…” Scylla suddenly stammers, her face turning slightly red, before she swiftly looks away. “Hmph, whatever. It’s not like you’re in my water so do whatever you want, monkey.”

Well, I guess these two are somewhat close. I didn’t really pick up on it earlier since they didn’t interact much during the whole swimming thing, but I guess they must be friendly if they’re spending every night together like this.

“By the way, Lord Bengshan, I was hoping to speak with you.” Saber addresses me in a more serious tone. “Did something happen between you and Lady Bianca? I thought you two would be sending the day together in your room, but she suddenly stormed out and shut herself in her own room for the rest of the day. She didn’t even come out for dinner and had it delivered instead. I can’t help but be worried.”

“That’s… it’s nothing really.” I answer hesitantly, making it obvious how little I wanted to talk about it.

“What? Did you accidently forget to pull out and made her angry?” Scylla suddenly asks.

“E-eh? N-no, of course not! Nothing like that happened.” I shout back.

“Berserker! Please refrain from speaking of such inappropriate topics.” Saber swiftly commands in a rare harsh tone.

“What? What else was I supposed to think those two were doing alone in a room together all day long?” Scylla protests, throwing up her hands.

“It does not matter what you think, but saying such things besmirch milady’s name and honor. What happens in her chambers are to stay in her chambers.” Saber scolds.

“Hmph. Fine.” Scylla pouts.

“Geez…” I mumble to myself, still feeling embarrassed.

Now that Scylla brought up the subject, I’m suddenly remembering the dream I had last night and it’s making me feel awkward in her presence.

Well, then again, considering how casual she’s being, that must confirm that it was a dream after all… right?

“I apologize for her rudeness, Lord Bengshan.” Saber says softly. “Still though, did nothing really happen between you two? I do not mean to probe, but I would like to know for milady’s sake.”

“… it’s nothing much. We just… had a little disagreement. That’s all.” I decide to say, leaving out the details.

“I see. I suppose such things do happen, though I have personally never seen Lady Bianca argue with anyone.” Saber accepts with a nod.

Well, of course he’s never seen it. Everyone else automatically agrees with her.

“Still, Lord Bengshan. I know it might be difficult for you, but I do hope you two can reconcile soon. It pains me to see my Master in such low spirits.” Saber gently asserts. “This may sound like outside meddling, but when you get to a certain age, you come to realize that there are few things in the world truly worth breaking a close friendship over.”

“I guess I’ll keep that in mind…” I respond unenthusiastically.

The mere thought of “reconciling” with Bianca repulses me too much to even act nice about it.

“Hahaha.” For some reason though, Saber chuckles at my reaction. Then, he quickly straightens himself up and flashes me a bright, casual smile. “My apologies, Lord Bengshan, but would you mind sparing me a moment of your time?”

“Hm? Well, I have nothing better to do, so sure.” I shrug and accept.

“Then, why don’t you take a seat? I don’t intend to take up a lot of your time, but you should make yourself comfortable.” He offers politely.

“Then don’t mind if I do.” I nod and quickly settle myself down on a comfy-looking rock in the clearing.

While I made myself comfortably, Saber swiftly towels off his sweat and puts his shirt back on, though leaving the full armor plating off. Once he was ready, he plops down on the grass in front of me, seemingly caring little about getting his trousers dirty.

For some reason, even though not much has changed about him, his demeanor suddenly feels much less… stiff. Rather than a prim and proper butler, the aura emanating from the man in front of me feels a lot more down-to-earth and casual, like a friendly guy that you would run into at a pub or something.

“So, truth be told, I’ve actually been meaning to talk to you for a while now, Bengshan.” He suddenly admits with a broad smile.

“Huh? Really?” I gasp, shocked.

“Well, Lady Bianca talks about you all the time, so I naturally grew curious.” He explains vivaciously. “But more than anything else, I heard from her that you wanted to become a hero.”

“Th-that’s…” I quickly hide my face, feeling rather embarrassed. “Sh-she told you that?”

“Yeah. She told me that you became a Master because you wanted to be a hero and help save the world. Something like that.” Saber affirms.

I blush and wonder how Bianca knew that. I don’t remember telling her or any of the Crypters my reasons for joining Chaldea.

I wanted to become a hero. Or rather, I wanted people to treat me like some sort of hero. I was tired of feeling like a monster, so I wanted other people to start praising me, and paying attention to me, and liking me. That’s why I signed up to “help save the world” and what not. Though nowadays, that feels like decades ago.

But I still don’t know how Bianca could know that. The director sort of knew but… oh, wait, that’s right. Bianca said she took a look at my files. That’s probably where she found out.

“S-so, what? What about that did you want to talk about?” I ask Saber after regaining myself.

“Hmm, nothing much really. I just felt like talking to you, hahaha.” Saber merrily shrugs. “You see, I too want to become a hero.”

“Huh? You want to be a hero? Aren’t you already a hero?” I ask, tilting my head in confusion.

“Oh, right, I guess I am. Oopsies!” Saber laughs. “Right, what I meant was that I always wanted to be a hero, more than anything else in the world. So, when I heard you wanted to be one too, I felt like talking to you.”

“Is that so?” I reply blankly, not really sure how to react.

“Y’see, when I was kid, I always admired those stories of chivalry and adventure, especially those of the Round Table. I would imagine myself becoming a knight and fighting alongside legends like Arthur or Lancelot or Gawain.” Saber cheers with all the excitement of a 10-year old boy, before playfully sighing in a half-somber tone. “But, unfortunately, I guess I was born too late. Knights weren’t really a thing anymore by my era and stuff like dragons or giants had disappeared a long, long time ago. That kind of bummed me out.”

“But in the end, you managed to become a Heroic Spirit, didn’t you?” I point out.

“Yup, I managed to make it. I guess you could say my lifelong dream came true at the very end.” Saber grins. “But well, I guess that’s why I felt a connection with you. As someone who made it, I feel like I have to help you reach your dream too. Y’know, passing it forward.”

“Well… thanks, I guess.” I half-heartedly bow.

I’m really not sure how to feel. Maybe because this is coming out of nowhere, I feel a bit awkward talking about these things with Saber.

“So, tell me, Bengshan. What kind of hero are trying to become?” Saber suddenly asks.

“Huh? Wh-what kind?” I squeak.

“Yeah, what sort of hero do you want to be? Or rather, what does a hero mean to you?” He affirms eagerly.

“Th-that’s… um, I haven’t really thought about that…” I admit anxiously.

“Oh?” Saber expresses a little surprise. “Well, no matter. If it’s something you want, there’s a reason for it. I’m sure if you just think a little now, you can find the answer easily.”

“…”

As he suggests, I find myself contemplating the question.

All this time, I’ve sort of vaguely wanted to become a hero but… what exactly did that mean to me? What exactly did I want out of myself?

What kind of hero do I want to become?

Choice!
    After another heated argument with Bianca, you find yourself having a chat with Saber and bonding over your shared desire for heroic status. Through it, he asks you want being a hero means to you.

What is your answer?

1. Someone who always does the right thing.
    2. Someone who helps and protects others.
    3. Someone who punishes evil and wrongdoings.
    4. Someone everyone likes and accepts.
    5. Still don’t know
    6. Write-In

Your average angst/edge supplier BnEl15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    2. On another note, I still have no idea on who Saber is, but he seems surprisingly recent (relatively speaking, at least).

4. Someone everyone likes and accepts.
    Saber could be anyone

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    6. Write-In:​ Someone who challenges and corrects.

Camille's not certain what is really "right." He's extremely limited to what he can do to protect (not to mention his reluctance to use Mind Break). Not to mention his reluctance to judge what is "evil" especially what he had done, and that his personality is not very much of the "Accepting" type.

But throughout the Quest, Camille has refuted and questioned the motivations/approaches of others, and does his best to return/compromise things back to the way it is - - be it through Rider and her Gang or learning more of Alisha from Starkad....

Effectively returning things to closest to a "Status Quo," a form of arbiter so to speak; a return to a peace he can live with, one where he's not longer a monster. And in this way, Camille can protect those he cares for.

And in a sense, reflects the nature of ESP being a form of Alaya's influence - - making Camille an agent of humanity's interest, and in this case, Yao's interests.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Sleepy's 6.

Blog Entries
    I'll also vote for Sleepy's 6

I'm going with Sleepy's 6​ as well.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Sleepy's 6!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sleepy's 6 as well

Blog Entries

Year:

The hero I envision. The hero I wanted to become.

Resting my head on my arm, I contemplate in silence for half a minute before finding an answer.

“If I were to put it to words… I suppose it’d be someone who challenges and corrects.” I declare hesitantly.

“Challenges and corrects?” Saber repeats in a curious voice.

“Yeah. Like someone who is able to go against bad or dangerous people. Something like that.” I explain timidly.

“Oh? What kind of bad people?” Saber keenly questions.

“Well… maybe someone who’s so powerful that no one else can oppose them.” I answer. “If someone was truly all powerful, then they wouldn’t care about other people, right? With their overwhelming power, they would have absolute freedom to do as they please with no regard for the wellbeing or freedoms of other people. So, I think a hero would be someone who was able to stand up to these kinds of villains that no one else can oppose.”

“Hmm, I see.” Saber nodded along sagely, before making a slightly humored expression. “That’s not very glamorous, is it?”

“Ah, well… you’re not wrong.” I laugh awkwardly.

Now that I think about it, it’s not a very cool way of putting it. Rather than some sort of badass warrior in shining armor or a caped crusader in spandex, the way I said it makes me think more of like a hall monitor who yells at people for running in the halls. It sounds like a very passive or wishy-washy type of hero.

“Hmm, how about, if you’re going to stand up to bad guys, you can bold and say that you’ll defeat them? Like, ‘I’ll be a hero who can defeat any villain!’, or something along those lines?” Saber suggests with a fiery spirit, his eyes burning with

“Uhhh, well, that does certainly sound cool. But I’m not too sure about it…” I respond uneasily.

“Huh, why not?” Saber gasps.

“Well… I mean, if there’s someone that’s so strong that he can defeat any villain, then wouldn’t he be so strong that he can also defeat anyone else? If he’s that strong, what’s stopping him from doing whatever he wants, either? In that sense, he’d be no different from the villains.” I explain unconfidently.

“But he’s a hero, isn’t he? Even if he’s strong, he’s a hero so wouldn’t he not use his power for bad things?” Saber points out.

“I-I know. It’s just that… well, it still doesn’t feel right to me. I mean, just because someone’s a hero, is it really right for them to have that much power? There are a lot of people who think they’re good people and end up doing bad things. But I don’t think such people can be called heroes.” I argue while anxiously scratching my neck.

“Ehhhhh…” Saber utters doubtfully, seemingly having trouble following my logic.

Well, I can’t blame him for being put off. I might be taking this simple question a bit too seriously. In the end, we’re just talking about dreams and ideals, so bringing in pointless objections doesn’t really matter.

But even so, I just can’t find it in myself to back down on this point.

“Besides… I don’t think defeating the bad guys is necessary…” I add quietly, as if ashamed.

“How so?” Saber asks, picking up on my mumble.

“… I mean… yeah, it’d be cool to defeat the bad guy when no one else can, but… even if they can’t defeat them, I think just challenging them is amazing. Regardless of their own power or ability, if someone is able to oppose an unchecked power and stand for what is right… that person is already a hero to me.” I state solemnly.

Sometimes that’s all that is needed. An omnipotent power that is left unchecked will never change. But even a single voice has the potential to correct that. To me, that one voice is more heroic that any fantastical power.

“… that’s pretty stupid.”

Suddenly, Scylla chimes in, after having been listening from the sidelines the whole time.

“E-eh? Y-you think so?” I respond meekly, both surprised by her inclusion and a bit off-put by her statement.

“If you’re going to go out of the way to play hero, shouldn’t you be more concerned with actually doing good? From what I can see, you seem to be saying that just trying hard to do something is enough and the actual result isn’t important. But then, no one gets saved in that case.” Scylla remarks harshly.

“Hmm… well, you may have a point.” I admit awkwardly.

When you boil it down, the hero I envision is indeed a very passive one: a hero who is defined by his reaction to others rather than the good he does for the world. There’s very little practical application, ambition, or inspiration to it. That kind of hero doesn’t save anyone or make anyone happier; at best it only resets things to how they used to be. You could say that it’s something more like a counter hero or a rival to the bad guy.

From an outsider’s view, it’s obvious that I’m more focused on the villain rather than the victims… almost as if the hero exists for the villain’s sake…

“Even so, if there’s someone going around unchallenged, someone has to stand up to them. I think the people who do deserve to be called heroes.” I rebut earnestly.

“Then, what? Heroes are just obstacles to anyone who grows too big for their britches? Doesn’t sound very heroic to me.” Scylla scoffs. “Seems to me that your gilded hero doesn’t do much except keep people in their little goody two-shoes boxes and making sure nothing ever changes.”

What is she talking about? That’s not what I want… but I’m not sure how to tell her that.

“Then, might I ask what your idea of a hero is, Berserker? I’d be curious about your view as well.” Saber asks casually.

“Like I care. From my experience, those so-called heroes were all nothing more than glory-seeking monkeys. I mean, there they were telling tall tales of their trials, but not a single one had what it took to stand up to me. How pathetic.” Scylla snarks.

“Ahaha, that’s certainly an opinion that only a legendary monster would have.” Saber chuckles heartily. “I guess for you, heroes were the worst type of people, weren’t they?”

“More or less.” Scylla shrugs. “But even I have to acknowledge one thing. Every one of the heroes I fought and devoured had at least one thing in common: they had something they wanted to accomplish and the backbone to try. They were all selfish assholes that would do anything to reach their goals, even stupidly picking a fight with me. In other words, they had ambition. But I don’t sense even a fraction of that spirit in our boy’s little ideals.”

“… I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can agree with you. Perhaps it’s a difference in opinion, but the idea of a selfish hero doesn’t sit right with me. I just don’t think someone who only cares about their own desires and disregards the thoughts of others can be called a hero. In fact, I think they’re closer to being villains.” I argue, frowning slightly.

“Then, what you’re asking for isn’t a hero, but a martyr. You can’t expect anything consequential to get done without wanting it to be done. That’s just too unrealistic.” Scylla remarks.

“Wh-what’s wrong with that? If we’re talking about ideals, isn’t it fine to be unrealistic?” I retort. “Isn’t it only natural to admire a selfless hero over a selfish one?”

“As an ideal maybe, but you’re talking about your own goal, aren’t you? This is the kind of hero you want to become. Then do you really think you can practically live up to it? How do you plan to do good if you don’t even want to do good? Are you going to live your life only opposing people you think are bad and never trying to make the world around you better and then still touting yourself as a hero? Even when the people around you are suffering?” Scylla harshly inquires.

“I-I never said I wouldn’t help people. I was just, y’know, focusing on the main part.” I respond.

“Didn’t seem that way to me…” Scylla comments snidely.

“Mn, I don’t get it. What problem do you have with my image of a hero?” I tilt my head in confusion.

“Simple. It’s just not beautiful.” She states with a contemptuous pout.

“Eh?”

“Hmph.”

Somehow or another, it seems I ended up getting into an argument with Scylla, though I’m kind of not really sure what we’re arguing about. I think she’s angry at me for some reason though.

“Well, it seems like you two just don’t see eye-to-eye, but that’s just how it is.” Saber finally comments, breaking the sudden tension between Scylla and me. “As for me… I do think that it’s possible to help people while selfishly going after your own goals. Speaking from personal experience.”

“Is that so?” I turn to him curious. “Well, I guess you’d know best since you’re the actual hero here.”

Unlike me who only aims to be a hero and Scylla who fought heroes, I suppose the words of the actual established hero, Saber, would have more weight.

“Oh, wait, does that mean that you ended up helping people because of a selfish goal, Saber?” I suddenly ask, picking up on his implication.

“More or less.” Saber nods. “Like I said before, becoming a hero was my dream, so I really did it for myself. Of course, I’m happy to help others, but the core motivation has always been my own dreams.”

“I guess that would count as a sort of selfishness.” I ponder. “Well, even then, I don’t really think you’re a really selfish person. In fact, I think you’re a very admirable hero. I don’t know how many people you’ve saved, but I get the feeling you have a very noble character, Saber.”

Just from the few interactions we’ve had, I’ve gotten the feeling that Saber is a nice person. He’s bright, helpful, polite, and capable. In fact, he’s practically straight out of a picture book. Whether it’s a knight’s shining armor or caped spandex, I think such an image would suit an honorable hero like him very well.

“Is that so…” Saber responds disquietly.

Hm? How strange, he’s making a difficult expression. Did I say something wrong?

He continues to make a pensive face for a short while, his eyes drifting aimlessly to the grass, before he finally raised his head and flashed me a relaxed smile.

“Say, Bengshan, you know my True Name, right?” He says in a somewhat gentle tone.

“Huh? Yeah, of course.” I nod. “You’re Tom of Lincolnshire, right?”

Tom of Lincolnshire, the unknown hero behind a hundred tales.

If one were to search for the name online or in books, one would yield no results leading to any famous, recorded hero in history or mythology. He is not recognized in any story nor is he worshipped by anyone. One might even say that he was a person who might as well never have existed.

However, in British and English folklore, there are a number of stories that share certain similarities. Tom Thumb, Tamlin, Tom a Lincoln, Thomas Rhymer, Tom Hickathrift, Yallery Brown, etc. All of these stories feature a character named Tom. Furthermore, many of them involve their Tom character meeting with the Queen of Fairies, if not entering a romantic relationship with her. On the surface, such similarities may seem like mere coincidences, but the truth is that they’re all connected and were indirectly based on a real-life person named Tom who lived in Lincolnshire. So, when one tries to summon any of the above Toms from legend as a Servant, they end up summoning the true, original Tom instead.

That is Saber’s true identity, Tom of Lincolnshire, the origin of many fairy tales.

“Yeah, that’s right. The truth is I’m not some legendary, mythological knight who went on epic adventures and engaged in chivalrous romances. I was just some normal bloke who lived a pretty normal life and had just one slightly fantastical event in my life but ended up having a bunch of legends told about him for it.” Tom affirms solemnly.

Sighing heavily, he leans back and slumps his head towards the starry sky as if gazing on the light from years past.

“But, y’know, I still wanted to become a hero…” He states in a melancholic tone. “I wanted to have epic adventures and to have them told for generations. I wanted to be a noble knight and to serve a fair lady and to fight crazy strong monsters. I wanted kids in the future to read my stories and feel as excited and inspired as I was when I read legends. I wanted it so badly, I would do anything to make it true. But in the end, I never lived up to that goal.”

“Well, I guess that’s how dreams are.” I remark in a tone as soft as his, before trying to sound more cheerful. “But, hey, in a way, you got your dream to come true, right? Even if it was just luck, your story became popular folklore and now there’s a bunch of stories about you in modern day. You’re kind of really famous!”

“… and what if it wasn’t luck?” Tom suddenly remarks.

“Huh?” I gasp, shocked by the sudden suggestion.

“Like I said, I wanted to be a hero more than anything. And I was willing to pay any price to make it happen.” He declares with sharp eyes.

I freeze for a second as I process his implication and slowly put the pieces together to find a shocking realization.

“A-any price? Don’t tell me…” I muse with widened eyes. “… the Heroic Spirit contract?”

The Heroic Spirit contract, the primary method in which humans becomes Heroic Spirits.

Putting aside the fictional Heroic Spirits which were entirely fabricated from the ideals and imagination of humanity, living humans who achieved great deeds in life do not automatically get thrown into the Throne of Heroes. In order to become a Heroic Spirit, one must make a contract with the world to give their existence to it after they die.

The exact specifics are a little complicated, but the gist of it is that, while they’re alive, heroes make a deal with the world for something and in exchange promise to become Heroic Spirits after they die. Power, wealth, fame, love, whatever it is they gained from the deal, they must repay the debt for it by offering their eternal existence to the world. Us Masters are then able to summon Servants by stealing that debt liability from the world and temporarily writing our names on the contract.

It is common among novice Masters to automatically assume that all noteworthy legendary figures in mythology and history can be summoned as Heroic Spirits, but that is not actually true. There are, in fact, many famous heroes who are not in the Throne of Heroes and thus cannot be summoned, no matter how famous or accomplished they are. These heroes are the ones who did not accept the Heroic Spirit contract. I’ve heard that examples of these include such figures as Michelangelo or Sei Shonagon. Such people had no desire for the exchange that the world offered and thus turned down the contract.

On the other hand, there are also Heroic Spirits who choose to offer their afterlife without asking for anything in exchange. Of these there are those who wanted to protect humanity out of the sheer goodness of their hearts, those battle maniacs who just liked to idea of being able to keep fighting even after they die, and any other wild reason one may have to want to become a Heroic Spirit. But the bottom line is that, as a general rule, someone only becomes a Heroic Spirit if they want to.

To be honest, it’s a bit of a grisly detail behind the mechanics of the Heroic Spirit system. After all, becoming a Heroic Spirit is basically selling your soul to the World. In exchange for something, you literally offer your afterlife to eternal servitude, forever enslaved to the will of the world and losing the ability to ever again rest in peace. Even though I, as a Master, am basically an accomplice in it all, I don’t like thinking about it too much…

But if what Tom’s implying is true, then the thing he asked for from the contract… is the power to become a hero?

“No, that’s wrong.” Tom denies, shaking his head. “Like I said, I was just some nobody with no legendary feats. I didn’t even come close to qualifying for becoming a Heroic Spirit.”

“Huh, so it wasn’t the Heroic Spirit contract? Then…” I contemplate further, trying to deduce what Saber could possibly mean.

If Tom never took the Heroic Spirit contract, that means he isn’t a proper Heroic Spirit. So then, what kind of Servant is he? If he’s from folklore, then maybe he’s a Phantom? But in that case, the real Tom wouldn’t be summoned. Then what else could he…

“Wait…” I gasp in disbelief as I come to an epiphany, turning my wide-open eyes to Saber. “… are you a Counter Guardian?”

“Yup, you got it! I’m part of the Counter Force.” Tom admits with a giant, unfitting grin.

I’m speechless. After that insane revelation, I have no words or thoughts to spare.

I never would’ve suspected that Saber was actually a Counter Guardian this whole time.

“Basically, before I died, I lamented that I never got to become a legendary hero like I wanted, so I made a contract with the World to make it happen. My wish was to be revered as a hero and so the World spread my legend across the country as folklore. Over time those stories took a life of their own and countless variations were born. That’s why there are so many folk tales and stories about little old me.” Tom explains with a bright, bubbly demeanor.

“And… you agreed to become a Counter Guardian for that?” I ask, incredulously.

“That’s right. That’s all I wanted.” Tom replies with a light sigh. “Well, it would’ve been nice to actually have gone on those adventures myself, but this is a close second. I got to become the hero I always wanted. What more could I want?”

“But…” I hesitate to respond.

But, in exchange, he became an agent of the Counter Force…

Was it really worth it?

The Counter Guardians, the agents of the Counter Force, are those humans who have pledged their eternal service beyond death to preventing the extinction of the human race. In many ways, it’s similar to regular Heroic Spirit Contracts, but it’s even worse in a sense.

At the very least, Heroic Spirits retain their identity. They are revered and worshipped by humans and leave their bright mark on the world long after their death. Their very existence continues to inspire, support, and spur the progress of humanity as we reach the future.

The Counter Force, however, is a colorless, heartless power that only cares about humanity’s survival. The Guardians that serve it are much the same: mindless, merciless slaves that do nothing but murder. With no distinction between good or evil, they kill everything that threatens humanity. Those that become guardians become nothing more than nothingness and repeat the cycle of endless slaughter forever and ever more. The reason they are called Counter Guardians is because they have no free will or autonomy.

Is that what truly the nature of this bright, shining hero in front of me? It’s just so hard to believe.

“Haha, well, I normally don’t get to talk this much. Thanks to being summoned as a Servant, I got given a lot more leniency this time around.” Tom laughs, with the cheerful swagger of an idiot.

“… and you’re okay with that? It doesn’t bother you?” I ask him, my voice quivering in my throat.

“Well… I can’t say it doesn’t. But I’ve gotten used to it.” He smiles as he shrugs. “Besides, think of all the good I’m doing. Every time I take out however many people I have to, I save so much more. I’ve saved the world infinitely many times! Isn’t that great?”

But… but then the one who’ll never be saved is…

“Also, I knew what I was getting myself into. I signed up for it and I got my side of the bargain, so I can’t exactly start complaining, can I, hahaha?” He merrily adds.

I feel myself struggling to restrain a shout. I end up biting my lower lip with enough fury to tear it off.

“Y-you wanted to become a hero that much? To give up your free will for all of eternity?” I ask him anxiously.

“Yeah, I did. I wanted it more than anything.” Saber nods with a smile worthy of a thousand suns. “Even now, I don’t regret it one bit. It was all worth it!”

Oh, I see. I get it now.

The man in front of me broke a long, long time ago. That’s why he’s able to smile like that. He really doesn’t care anymore. Maybe he never actually cared to begin with. For him, becoming a hero was worth eternal damnation. Now, after an eternity of mindless slaughter, the only thing left supporting him is the memory of that wish. The only thing keeping him sane is the comforting lie that it was all at least worth something.

“… why are you telling me all this?” I finally ask him, lifting my sullen head.

“Oh, right, we kind of got off track. Well, basically, what I wanted to tell you was…” Tom recites nonchalantly, as if everything that was just said wasn’t important. “For me, a hero has not autonomy. I lost my free will a long time ago, so I don’t really care about it, even now.”

He begins to stand up and suddenly his armor and sword manifest. Now clad once again in full armor, he regains the image of a stalwart knight.

“Heroes are those that answer the prayers of the people. Driven by the unconscious prayers of humanity, I have been summoned countless times and killed countless more people.” He announced with the pride and dignity of a knight in his voice. “But this time around, I was summoned by the lone, desperate prayer of a single girl. So, I plan to do everything in my power to protect her.”

In a flash, he abruptly points his sword at me. Before I can even react, the tip of his blade is next to my throat.

“So, I have to ask you this, Bengshan. You said that you want to be someone who can challenge and correct those with uncontested power. But what do you want to do with the ones you challenge?” He interrogates me with sharp eyes and his sharp blade. “Are you going to eliminate them so that they’ll never pose a threat again? Will you enact justice and punish them proportionally to their sin? Or…?”

Our eyes meet and we stay in place just exploring the answers within the other’s pupils. The sharp, cold hostility in his eyes tell me everything. He knows far more than he’s letting on and he understands the situation far more than I expected. And in spite of all that, his decision was made a long, long time ago. From the beginning, he never had any free will. That’s why, his position now is perfect for him.

After our brief, silent exchange, Tom suddenly pulls back his sword and slides it back into its sheath. The cold, serious glare he had turns into the usual, polite and gentle smile in an instant. I guess that means he got what he wanted.

“Well, that’s the gist of it. I had to get a little serious for a second, but I really just wanted to confirm your intentions.” Saber chuckles heartily but sincerely. “Whatever hero you end up becoming, I hope it’s one who’ll also be able to protect her smile. That’s all I’m asking.”

“…” I continue to not answer.

Because right now, I have no answer to give. All my eyes and words can tell him is I don’t know…

Leaving me with just that question, the little midnight rendezvous is adjourned. Saber vanishes with a wave, either teleporting away or going back into spirit form. Meanwhile, Scylla, who had been silently listening to our entire conversation, gets back up and wordlessly returns to her lake for some peace and quiet. All that’s left in the clearing after that is me and my feelings which only seem to become more complicated over time.

The things I want to do. The things I need to do. The hero I want to become. The people I have to save…

I pull myself back to bed and realize I’m suddenly tired enough to sleep again. In the end, I drift off only hoping that tonight’s dream can actually give me some relief from this absolute mess.

Wise-up! Servant Sheet acquired:
    Saber - Tom of Lincolnshire

Blog Entries

Year:

I find myself in a beautiful garden.

A cloudless blue sky above and a multitude of multicolor flowers below, I sit at a small, pure white table under a classy parasol.

And across from me is an all too familiar face.

“Is something the matter, Master?” Assassin asks with a slight tinge of concern in her voice.

“… huh?” I unconsciously reply with a confused gasp.

The gears in my dulled brain begin to turn as I slowly comprehend my situation, until finally,

“Wait, what!?” I shout, rocketing out of my chair. “Wh-what are you doing here, Assassin?”

“Hm, what’s wrong, Master? Is there something wrong with presence?” Assassin asks casually. “Or perhaps, you’re saying you don’t want to see my face? I’ll be sad if that’s true.”

“N-no, that’s not it. B-but, you shouldn’t be here… Right? I think. Actually… where in the world are we?” I confusingly wonder as I take a look around.

My surroundings don’t make any sense. The atmosphere resembles that of Fairyland, but it feels like a different place. There are no buildings, or landmarks, or people anywhere nearby. There is only an endless expanding field of flowers as far as the eye can see. And in that homogenous garden, the only thing different was the pure white table Assassin and I were sitting at.

This… is weird. This is way beyond weird.

“Assassin, where are we?” I repeat, completely stupefied.

“At a tea party, of course. Isn’t that obvious, Master?” Assassin giggles. “You should drink yours too, before it gets cold.”

“Huh?”

What is she talking about? Does Assassin know what’s going on here? Don’t tell me this is one of her pranks.

Utterly confused, my brain scrambles to try and comprehend the situation.

Let’s see… the last thing I remember was going to bed after talking with Tom… and then I was here. I should still be snug in bed back at the mansion, but I somehow ended up in this empty flower field.

Was I transported to this place while I was asleep? But how? And by who?

No, that should be obvious. In this scenario, the most likely culprit would be…

“You…” I suddenly growl at Assassin and slam my hand onto the table. “Who the hell are you?”

That’s right. The most suspicious individual has to be the only other person here.

“Ara? What are you talking about, Master? It’s me.” Assassin responds in a light tone.

“No. No, it’s not. Assassin should still be in the China Lostbelt. It’d be impossible for her to be here.” I state clearly. “I might be a shitty magus, but even I know better than to blindly trust everything I see. I don’t know if that’s shapeshifting or illusions but taking my Servant’s form doesn’t exactly please me.”

“Ara, you sure are on top of things, Master.” Assassin beams, unperturbed by my call out. “But isn’t that line of thinking flawed? You don’t know where you are or how you got here either do you? So then, is it not possible that I also got brought here in the same way as you.”

“Hmm, perhaps. Certainly, there happens to be a teleporting Servant who could pull off kidnapping both me and Assassin and bringing us to a completely different location all while I was asleep.” I admit sagely. “However, there’s still no way that you’re Assassin.”

“Why not?” She asks, a tinge of expectation in her voice.

I sigh and hold up my left hand, showing her the red mark emblazoned on it.

“Masters and Servants are connected. So even if you look and sound exactly like her, I just have to check our pathway to confirm that you aren’t Assassin.” I explain resentfully.

Now that the shock of waking up here has worn off, my mind feels somewhat clear again, and the obvious answers start flowing to me.

“Oh, that’s right. It seems I overlooked that fact.” The woman pretending to be Assassin chuckles lightly. “Well done, Mr. Detective. Your deductions are surprisingly reasonable.”

“Yeah, I’m thrilled to receive your praise.” I sarcastically reply. “But that still doesn’t tell me who you are. Are you really the one who brought me here?”

“Where’s the fun in telling you that? Your deduction was pretty amusing, so I think I’ll let you piece the rest together yourself.” The woman playfully answers.

“Oh, come on…” I grimace. It’s becoming intensely obvious I won’t get anything from questioning the woman.

Whoever this person is, she sure is annoying. I’m already confused as it is; I don’t need to be toyed with on top of that. However, she doesn’t seem hostile. At least, I get the feeling she isn’t. If she truly intended me harm, there would be no need to talk with me after I woke up; she could’ve done whatever she wanted with me while I was asleep.

Let’s calm down, regroup, and think about everything again. I’m not a complete idiot. I can figure this out.

The situation is thus: I’m currently in an unknown, strange location and the only other person here is someone pretending to be Assassin.

In that case, is it safe to assume that the culprit is capable of two abilities: transportation and disguise? They used the first to bring me here and the second to pretend to be Assassin. But is there anyone who fits that bill?

… the obvious first answer is Saber. He’s the one with teleporting powers and I vaguely remembering him having a shapeshift ability. Did he bring me here and shapeshift into Assassin?

No, that’s unlikely. Even if he can imitate the appearance, I highly doubt he could or would put on this act of pretending to be Assassin. Even if Saber is responsible for the transportation, the woman in front of me is someone else.

Then, maybe… could this woman be Fairyland Caster?

I still don’t know any of her abilities or her True Name, but I do know she’s some sort of witch. It’s not unthinkable that she may be able to disguise herself with magic. Plus, she’s friends with Saber so they could be colluding on this. He teleports them and she pretends to be Assassin.

No, no, that doesn’t make sense either. Saber isn’t the type to do something this bold behind Bianca’s back. And this scheme just doesn’t feel like something Bianca would do.

No matter how I think about it, I don’t think Bianca or any of her Servants are involved in this weird scenario. In that case, the only other option is…

“Oh.” I gasp as I come to an epiphany.

Yes, now that I think about it, that is the most likely, almost painfully obvious answer.

“You. You’re Merlin, aren’t you?” I declare casually. “This place isn’t real either, is it? We’re inside my dreams.”

“Ara, ara, am I busted already? For someone who’s usually so dense, you can be surprisingly perceptive.” The woman laughs amusedly. “What could’ve given me away?”

“Come on, it’s hardly even a mystery. Who else could it have been?” I sigh, almost feeling dumb for not figuring it out immediately.

I fell asleep and next thing I knew I was in a weird place? Rather than being transported somewhere while I was asleep, isn’t it much more logical that this was just a dream?

Furthermore, I still remember Bianca mentioning Merlin in the city. If it’s a dream like this, it’s only natural to suspect the dream demon nearby.

“Still, I heard that you’re a dream demon, but this is pretty amazing. It feels so real, I can’t distinguish it from reality at all.” I remark as I stretch out, feeling the tender tension in my muscles and the gentle breeze on my cheeks, no different from the real world. Indeed, I probably would’ve figured out the trick earlier if this dream didn’t feel so real.

Merlin. One of the most famous magi ever, if not also one of the greatest.

I’m not too familiar with dream magic, but something that feels this real must be the work of a master mage. The raw vividness is unlike any other lucid dream I’ve felt. The only comparison would be the dream I had last…

“… wait. Then, the dream I had yesterday was…” I realize with widening eyes.

“Ara, are you talking about my little greeting? You seemed to be in a bad mood last night, so I thought I’d cheer you up with a sweet dream. Feel free to be grateful.” Merlin hums in a faux-gracious tone.

“What part of that was supposed to cheer me up!? It was a nightmare!” I angrily retort.

“Mn, indeed, it was a miscalculation on my part. I thought that a boy like you would be elated to make love with a beautiful woman.” Merlin admits somberly. “I didn’t expect you to start crying in the middle of it.”

“Wh-wha-! Shut up! I wasn’t crying!” I yell, my face turning red.

“Yes, you were. Very loudly too. You were practically wailing.” Merlin states.

“Sh-shut up! I said I wasn’t!!” I shout. “A-and, if you knew I was crying, why didn’t you stop the dream!?”

“Hm? Well… Seeing you cry and struggle was enjoyable in its own way.” Merlin responds with a pleasant hum.

Ah, I see. As expected of a demon, this person’s capacity for malice is extraordinary.

But… I guess at least this does confirm that it was just a dream after all. I should still be mad, but for some reason I feel relieved. The mere fact that it didn’t actually happen makes me calm down and I suddenly don’t feel like pursuing the matter any further.

“Haah, forget it. What did you bring me here for anyways? And why are you disguised as Assassin?” I grumpily ask, plopping back down in my chair.

“Why, I just wanted to talk with you. I’ve been watching your little struggles since you came to this world, and I thought it was finally time to meet you in-person. Well, not in-person in-person, but close enough.” Merlin answers in a lovely voice. “As for the appearance, I thought you would feel more comfortable if I took the form of the person you trust the most.”

I pause for a moment and consider her explanation. She just wanted to talk to me? Is that the truth? For some reason, I find that hard to believe.

Well, either way, I guess I should play along. Right now, we’re in a dream, in other words, her domain. I’m not stupid enough to think I’m safe, even if I don’t feel any hostility.

“… okay, fine. I don’t mind talking to you. But take off that disguise. It’s only uncanny to have your words come out of Assassin’s mouth.” I reply cautiously.

“If that’s what you’d like.” Merlin agrees readily.

With a single nod, the disguise immediately peels away, like flowers falling from a tree, revealing the true form beneath.

“Well then, allow me to properly introduce myself. I’m the Magus of Flowers, Merlin. As you can see, I’m a beautiful older sister that smiles while watching humanity’s journey.”

For a moment, I’m stunned.

She’s beautiful. But in a different way from Assassin’s pure sexiness or Bianca’s charm. It’s a beauty that doesn’t feel real. Like a mirage in the desert or a snowflake the moment before it melts. Just looking at her makes the dream suddenly actually feel like a dream.

And on top of that—

“Oh, you’re a woman.” I remark blankly.

“Ara, is that a surprise?” Merlin wonders.

“Hmm, not really, I guess.” I answer.

Well, I certainly wasn’t expecting it. I mean, after all, my image of Merlin was an old bearded wizard dude. I thought the femininity I sensed was just part of the disguise and once the illusion fell off, there’d be an old guy underneath. I suppose it is a Lostbelt though, so such changes happen. Not to mention, it’s the Lostbelt with only women, so I should’ve guessed as much.

“Anyways, what did you want to talk about? You said you’ve been watching me since I came here. Don’t tell me you’ve been secretly stalking me this whole time.” I ask calmly, settling into my seat.

“Nothing of the sort. Observing humanity is simply something of a hobby of mine and I just happened to notice you from my tower. Indeed, I would say that the events of your past few days have been well worth watching.” Merin replies serenely, smoothly moving her hands in a dramatic gesture. When she acts so peacefully, it’s hard to muster up any animosity towards her.

“So, you’ve been watching me from afar this whole time?” I ask semi-warily. “Wait, does that mean you know everything that’s been going on with… well…?”

“Are you referring to your quarrel with Bianca Chrome and her manipulation of the citizens of this kingdom? If so, then yes, I am quite aware. My eyes cover the entirety of this kingdom, or as you would call it, this Lostbelt.” Merlin explains.

My eyes immediately snap wide open.

“You know what’s going on!? You know about Bianca!?” I ask excitedly, leaning forward over the table.

For the first time in a while, my heart suddenly skips with enthusiasm. Just the knowledge that someone else might know about this terrible truth relieves my heart.

“There is no need to be jumpy. It will be difficult for us to have a fruitful discussion if you shout at every other sentence, so let’s calm down a little, shall we?” Merlin gently replies.

“O-oh. I guess you’re right. Sorry.” I calm down and apologize.

Right, I need to stay cool. I shouldn’t let my excitement take hold of me. With that in mind, I take a deep breath and lean back into my chair.

“How about a cup of tea? We have all night to talk, so let’s take it easy and enjoy ourselves.” Merlin suggests.

As she does, I suddenly realize that there’s a warm teacup on the table in front of me as well as numerous snacks. Were they always there or did they just appear? Man, dream magic is wack.

I decide to oblige and take a calming sip. It’s somewhat good. Not a flavor I’d ever drank before, but that’s not saying much when it’s me.

Once I’ve had my fill and relaxed a bit, I put the teacup back down and readdress Merlin with a calm, but still serious voice.

“Okay, um, so as we were saying, is it true that you know about Bianca and her ability?” I question.

“That is correct. I am fully aware of almost everything in this kingdom, including the actions that Bianca Chrome has taken upon arriving here.” Merlin affirms. “Well, I did not fully understand the full details of her ability until she revealed them to you. My eyes can only see what is happening; I cannot peer deeper into truths that do not occur.”

“So, your Clairvoyance can only witness the present and you can’t see beyond that which exists.” I think out loud. “Wait, then how did you know to disguise yourself as Assassin if you can only see inside this Lostbelt?”

“That’s my ability as a Succubus. I can change the script of a dream as I please and even fill rolls with placeholders if necessary.” Merlin explains without hesitation. “In the case of your Assassin, I simply put the setting as The Person You Trust the Most. In the case of Scylla last night, the setting was The Woman who was on Your Mind at the Moment. Then, your imagination fills in the rest of the details.”

“Huh, how convenient.” I nod, half-marveling at her prowess. “So then, you know about as much about Bianca’s power as I do?”

“Around the same. I’ve also been watching her since she arrived, so I have some anecdotal examples of her using them as well.” Merlin states, wagging a finger in a didactic manner. “Reading Rainbow, was it? It is truly an incredible talent. In my many years, I do not believe I have seen even a hundred other people with talents as amazing as hers.”

“Yeah, it’s a real pain.” I grimace. If someone like Merlin is praising it, it must really be a legendary-level power. “Well either way, I guess that means you’ve seen her use it before firsthand. Ah, well, that’s a dumb way to say it though.”

Bianca’s Reading Rainbow isn’t exactly something that you can say she “uses” the same way I use my ability. While she can create a painting from scratch to control anyone who looks at it, her foremost usage is in her own appearance, so it can somewhat be considered a passive or constantly active power. The moment anyone looks at her, they are already under her control.

Hm? Wait, that’s right. The moment someone looks at her, they are already on her side. And if Merlin’s ability is to “see” everything in this kingdom…

“Merlin, are you…?” I ask warily, inching a little bit back in my chair.

“Ara, it seems you are making a misunderstanding. If you are worried that I am under the effects of Bianca Chrome’s mind control, then there is no need to fear.” Merlin quickly answers, apparently reading my mind. “I am not fully sure about the exact principles, but it is highly likely that Bianca Chrome’s talent only affects human minds. As a Succubus, it would seem that I am immune.”

“Oh, thank god.” I sigh in heavy relief and sink into my chair.

Just hearing that makes me feel so much more relaxed. Just knowing that there’s someone else in this twisted wonderland who isn’t subject to Bianca’s whims helps me breathe again.

I feel as if the dark ocean I had been sinking in since I arrived here has become to dry. I’m not alone anymore. I found an ally who can help me!

“That’s great. That’s really great.” I remark elatedly, feeling my heart jump in my chest as if it had grown feathers. “Is there anyone else? If it only affects humans, then there could be other people who are immune too, right?”

My mind immediately flashes to the citizens of this Lostbelt and their elven features. Could it be that they are also immune to Bianca’s bullshit? That would be immensely helpful.

“No, I regret to inform you that that is not the case. Almost everyone in this kingdom is already under Bianca’s spell.” Merlin serenely answers, softly crushing my hopes under foot. “The citizens of this kingdom are only artificial fairies and still retain their former human perceptions. Every single one who has laid eyes on Bianca completely adores and obeys her and subsequently spread her good reputation to the rest of the kingdom.”

Almost immediately, I feel my spirits sink a bit lower again.

“So, there isn’t anyone else in Fairyland that’s opposed to her?” I question gloomily.

“Well, there is the Queen. As a true Fairy, I don’t believe Bianca’s talents would work on her.” Merlin declares. “However, the Queen cannot oppose Bianca either for she is currently shackled by her own womanhood. As long as that knight stays by Bianca’s side, the Queen cannot fully oppose her or the beating of her own heart.”

Hmm, I’m not exactly sure what Merlin’s talking about, but it sounds like the Queen won’t oppose Bianca as long as Tom is her Servant. In that case, she won’t be of much help either…

“So then, the only one left is you, huh…” I sigh, drooping my shoulders, before realizing something. “Wait… does Bianca know about your Clairvoyance?”

I sharpen my eyes as I seriously contemplate the topic. In contrast, Merlin remains as easy-going as ever and replies softly.

“Ara, I assume she does. It’s rather common knowledge in Fairyland that the Magus of Flowers residing in the highest tower sees all of the land.” Merlin surmises.

Indeed, Bianca was the one who told me about Merlin, so there was a good chance that she was aware of the Magus of Flowers and what she could do. But…

“That doesn’t seem right. I don’t think Bianca would’ve revealed her power to me so blatantly if she knew you were both watching and immune to her control.” I muse.

Yeah, Merlin was able to learn about Bianca’s Reading Rainbow because she was secretly spying on us using her clairvoyance. Bianca told me because she thought she trusted me, but she’s otherwise been very conservative about telling people. Is Bianca really so careless that she would let the truth about her ability slip when she knew someone was watching?

“Oh, that’s quite simple. It’s because she knows I can’t do anything even if I do know.” Merlin casually answers.

“… huh?” I gape, dumbfounded. “Wh-what do you mean you can’t do anything?”

“Ah, that’s right, Bianca never told you. The truth is that I’m imprisoned in this tower. I’m only able to contact the outside through dreams, so I’m effectively powerless.” Merlin explains nonchalantly, as if it were not a big deal.

I immediately feel my heart sink.

“Th-then that means you can’t do anything on your own?” I ask with a ghastly voice.

“That’s right. I am only an observer, aiding and watching over humanity.” Merlin beams as she answers.

Fuck me. There goes my easy ticket out of here.

And for a second there, I really thought Merlin could just roll up, wave her magic staff, and make everything better. Of course it’s never that easy. God freaking damn it.

… well, I guess it’s not all that bad.

“Oh, well. Can’t be helped.” I sigh but still smile lightly at the mage before me. “Honestly, just having you around to talk to makes me feel a lot better. Thanks, Merlin.”

“Ara, how flattering. In that case, I am glad that you feel joy from my presence.” Merlin coyly replies.

Yeah, that’s right. So, what if I have no one to fight with me? What if everyone else is controlled? I was already expecting that anyways. Just having a single person I can confide in turns this whole situation around. I’m finally feeling like there might be a glimmer of hope in this whirlpool of despair.

“All right! Then, let’s start trying to think of a way to defeat Bianca! If we wrap our heads together, I’m sure we can figure something out!” I cheer enthusiastically, leaping out of my seat and pumping my fist high.

It’s time for our counterattack. Now that I have someone in my corner, I feel like I can overcome anything Bianca throws at me. With Merlin by my side, there’s no way I’ll let myself lose to her!

“Why?”

“Huh?”

I pause as something slips out of Merlin’s ever smiling mouth. I look back down and she her looking as beautifully serene as always.

“Why would we come up with a way to defeat Bianca together?” Merlin asks pleasantly.

“Eh? Huh? Wh-what do you mean? We’ve both shared our info about Bianca so obviously our next step is finding a way to defeat her, right? I mean, I know you’re stuck in the tower, but you can still help me think of a way to beat her, can’t you? I think that would be a big help.” I uneasily reply.

“Oh? You want me to help you defeat Bianca?” Merlin hums with a faint tinge of surprise.

“Huh? O-of course, I do. Wasn’t that the plan? That’s why you contacted me – so that I could help you beat her… right?” I try to confirm, my voice beginning to quiver in fear of a response.

“Ara. It seems that you’re misunderstanding my intentions. Though, I don’t think it’s my fault that you assumed my motives on your own.” Merlin casually orates.

Then, with the beauty of a blooming flower, she rests her head on her palm and addresses me with her pleasant, uncaring smile.

“When did I say that I would help you?”

Those words alone once again sap away the hope that had only just begun to grow in my heart.

“Wh-what are you talking about? Of course, you’re going to help me. I’m trying to stop Bianca like you are!” I blurt out incredulously.

“No, I never said that I wanted to stop Bianca. And I do, in fact, not plan to.” Merlin replies calmly, unperturbed by my outburst.

I can’t believe my ears. I can’t believe her mouth. Is she really saying what I think she’s saying?

“Don’t be ridiculous! How can you not help me? If I don’t stop her, Bianca will continue to do whatever she wants unchecked. She’ll freely make everyone else her pawns and play with them as she pleases!” I practically scream.

“Yes, and?” Merlin simply replies.

Those two words alone hit me so hard that all the wind in my body is forced out.

“Ara, ara, it seems that you are under a severe misunderstanding indeed.” Merlin says in a giggling-tone. “It is true that I am aware of the altercation between you and Bianca Chrome, but I do not intend to interfere or support you in it.”

“You know what’s happening and you still don’t intend to take a side?” I interrogate, still flabbergasted.

“That’s right. I am mostly a neutral spectator.” She declares serenely. “Well, if I had to choose between you two, I would say that I’m on Bianca’s side.”

“D-don’t mess with me. How could you possibly be on Bianca’s side? You know for a fact just what she has done!” I yell, slamming the table angrily.

“Yes, I have been watching her very closely and it has been quite the interesting journey so far. Both her talent and her view on the world are very intriguing to me.” Merlin states peacefully.

“You… you actually like her? Even without her controlling you? Even though you know what a horrible person she is!?” I question, unable to even accept the words coming out of my mouth.

“Indeed. Her ability to influence so many people is a mark of a King. A Hero. It is endlessly entertaining to me. I am enthralled to watch each and every scheme she comes up with.” Merlin smiles joyfully.

At the same time, I feel something snap within me.

“Are you fucking kidding me!?!? How the hell can you possibly condone such a thing!?” I roar, punching the table so hard that my teacup knocks over and falls off, shattering upon impact with the ground.

Just like the hope that had begun to shine after being buried in darkness for so long, the anger that had begun to dull after burning out relit within me. All I could see was red as I violently took out my anger at Merlin’s irresponsible words.

And in response to my genuine, blazing fury, the Magus of Flowers simply—

“Now, now, no need to get all hot and bothered. No matter what happens, in the end, you are all fleeting creatures, just like the birds. Your lives are so short anyways, so there’s no need to fret over such silly details.”

She simply smiles, as gentle and uncaring as ever.

“Not everything needs to be so neat and clean. You are free to follow your ideals as much as you want, but they won’t change the result too much in the end. So, whatever it is you humans wish to squabble over is none of my concern. Go ahead and rage against the machine, struggle in vain, and die as you please. I’ll be watching from here. If you really wish for my help, you’ll have to give me a good reason to do so.” She informs me without a single tinge of malice in her voice and yet with a chilling apathy crueler than any hatred.

I see now.

I was wrong. I made a mistake. I assumed that anyone who knew Bianca’s true nature and was in possession of their wits would obviously oppose her.

That thinking was wrong. It was naïve. Because there is now someone right in front of me who honestly understands what Bianca is doing and doesn’t care. As long as she continues to be entertained by humanity, it matters not to this woman if one or ten or ten thousand people cruelly die.

She is truly, in body and mind, a genuine demon.

But…

But still, I need her help.

I’m all out of options. She is truly my last chance out of this hopeless hell. So, I have to bear with it. I have to find a way to get her to help me!

But how? How can I convince this heartless monster to become my ally?

… I check just in case. Somehow, it seems that my power works even in this dream. I can see Merlin’s Life.

So what now? What do I do to get this person on my side?

Choice!
    You have encountered the Magus of Flowers, Merlin, in a dream. In order to defeat Bianca, you likely require her help, but she does not seem interested. What reason can you give her to help you?

1. Because Bianca is evil; it is morally right to stop her
    2. Because Bianca’s methods interfere with the progress and journey of humanity
    3. If Merlin helps you, you promise to find a way to help her escape her tower
    4. Because helping you will be fun
    5. Mind Break Merlin
    6. Write-In

References
    Merlin

6. Ask her what King Arthur would think of her standing aside and letting Bianca do as she pleases with the minds and lives of others.

4. Because helping you will be fun

Your average angst/edge supplier BnEl15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Considering how inhuman Merlin is, I also believe that she helped Arthur because it's "fun" and not because of some deeper moral reason. 4 it is.
    Convincing her on why helping us would fit her definition of fun would be another matter entirely though...

I'm going to have to go with 4, it seems the decision that will meet with the most success.

" What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Chaldea Masters, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Demon Pillar Barbatos, and I have over 300 confirmed Rare Prisms. I am trained in QP Farming and I'm the top BP Farmer in the entire Tree of Time. You are nothing to me but just another waifu. I will romance you the fuck out with seductivity the likes of which has never been enjoyed before on this Lostbelt, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over my wet dreams? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Tamamo Foxes across the Questverse and your body is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, girl. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can pull you in the Gacha over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in digital tapping over my phone's screen, but I have access to the entire arsenal of bots the FGO Fanbase and I will use it to its full extent to pull your miserable Limited SRR ass off the face of this scenario, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo. "

^
    Peace was never an option. :-P

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The static peace and impending battle with the Land of Shadows is still too predictable. With Camille 'ere, what better way to stir up some extra fun (read: chaos) by being the only other guy in said LB, no?
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!