Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: [Quest] Lostbelt Raising Project

Blog Entries

Year:

“Say aahhhhn~”

“Oh, uh… Aahhhhn~”

“… What the hell happened while I was gone?”

Assassin interjected harshly and understandably confused as she arrived at the bandit camp at last, only to witness Rider hand feeding me dinner.

It wasn’t too long after Rider and I agreed to working together and, as it was getting late, the whole camp decided to have dinner before retiring for the night. The rest of the bandits were outside cooking over campfires while Rider and I ate in her tent. Since my arms are out of commission for now, Rider was hand-feeding me. I guess that’s just her way of taking responsibility for shooting me.

“Oh, Assassin. You’re late. How did you get here so slow?” I scold the slowpoke who arrived only after everything was settled.

“I uh… I got lost in the tunnels. Sorry” Assassin embarrassingly admits, before suddenly snapping back into focus. “No, wait, that’s not the point. What did I miss? Who is she? Why are you injured? I have so many questions.”

She points at the skimpily dressed pirate queen currently inelegantly eating a chicken leg with the mannerisms you would expect from a bandit leader.

“Uhh… You basically missed everything and it’s all over. She’s the Servant Rider. And I’m injured cause she shot me.” I methodically answer all of her questions.

“Eh? Uh… well, I’m a bit reluctant to say this since you’re traditionally the straight man but…” She takes a deep breath before yelling out with the power of a ten-time manzai champion. “That doesn’t explain anything!”

God, can she be any louder? It seems she’s completely lost, but that’s really her fault for being a slowpoke. I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t rely on her to save us.

“Hm~ And who might you be?” Rider shot back, her mouth still full of food. “You didn’t mention you had another lady friend, boy.”

To be honest, the contrast between Rider’s elegant appearance and her rough inner mannerisms is kind of endearing. I think back to the masculine, commanding voice she showed earlier. I wonder if she’s masking a more tomboy-ish personality…

“Oh, right. Let me introduce you two.” I nod and face Assassin. I tried using my hands to motion the two towards each other but remembered too late the gaping holes in both of them. They’re bandaged for now, but it seems I won’t be using them anytime soon without intense pain.

“This is Servant Rider. She was summoned here as an independent Servant and is the leader of the bandits. After some discussion and bullets, we’ve come to an understanding and she’s promised to help us save the world. Her true name is Lai Choi San, by the way.” I explain to Assassin simply.

“Hm? Never heard of you.” Assassin comments sullenly, while seeming to size up the new recruit.

“Ara~ Well, that’s to be expected. Ufufu~.” The no-name Rider laughs.

“And this is my Servant Assassin. Her true name is…” I, in turn, introduce Assassin and inform Rider of her true name.

“Hm~ Never heard of you.” Rider shoots back with a smirk.

“Oh? Well, that’s to be expected… Ahaha.” Assassin chuckles while scratching her head embarrassed.

““Hahahahahahahaha!”” The two Servants laugh happily over their shared obscurity.

Hm. I was kind of worried, but I guess they might actually get along. I do feel that they have similar personalities in some ways. Or maybe that’s just my impression of their state of dress talking.

“Well, I guess I missed it, but if Master vouches for you, I suppose we’re on the same team now. It’s a pleasure to be of your acquaintance, Rider.” Assassin elegantly greets.

“Oh~ No, no, there’s no need for formalities. As fellow Servants, I hope we can get along. Please treat me well.” Rider returns the offer with a refined reply.

What a lady-like exchange, like a tea-time parley between noblewomen. From that alone, it’d be easy to forget that they’re both actually just a couple of skimpily-clad fox-women…

“By the way, Master. Where’s the princess?” Assassin rightfully asks, noticing the absence of Yingying at the table.

“Ah, she retired early tonight. She wasn’t looking well, so she went to bed without dinner…” I answer plainly.

I try my best to not let emotion show in my explanation, but the truth is that I’m actually a little worried about Yingying. When she excused herself earlier, she looked rather forlorn. I suppose she did get several grand shocks today and needs some time to think. Maybe I should check up on her later tonight...

“Anyways, I’m glad you’re here now, Assassin. Rider and I were discussing our plans from here on. Take a seat- ow!” I once again stupidly try to motion at the open seat at the dining table only to be reminded too late that I’m currently crippled.

“Hm? Do you have any plans? I thought our mission was to find and recruit a Servant. Haven’t we accomplished that?” Assassin notes as she floats down onto the chair.

“Well the basic objectives have been fulfilled, but it’s not like Rider here is the only Servant summoned. Whether we like it or not, the other Servants are a threat to this world. If they aren’t on our side, then they’re against us. And sooner or later, we’ll still have to run into them. So it’s better to seek them out now, if we can.” I explain my thought process to Assassin.

“Hm… okay, that makes sense. I suppose you’re right.” She nods along, ever quick to understand me.

“I consulted Rider on this, and it seems she’s got some information on potential Servant locations.” I add quickly.

“Hoh? How did you get this info, by the way?” Assassin asks the newbie without missing a beat.

“Well~ I have my avenues. Travelling merchants carrying rumors from other cities and levels, local officials receiving reports, general grape vinery… many ways, you know. I was also concerned about being attacked by other Servants, so I spent some efforts on tracking them first.” Rider explains with her typical know-more-than-you attitude.

“Right so, to summarize, these are the main pieces of info.” I break down what Rider told me earlier, before Assassin arrived. “First of all, about 5 days ago, there was an incident regarding a large-scaled robbery in level 4. An external party attacked a heavily-guarded government treasury and took all the money inside. Thankfully, no one was killed in the attack. The real kicker, though, is that the offending party is reported to have been only two people.”

“Two people? Well, then… they have to be Servants. I can’t imagine most humans being able to attack a treasury head-on with such limited numbers.” Assassin rationalizes the info.

“Hm~ That’s the strange part.” Rider chimes in. “The official report says that the perpetrators were two people but… rumors have it that it was actually a pair of demons.”

“Demons? So like… demonic beasts? Then they’re not Servants?” Assasin tilts her head in confusion.

“It’s unclear…” Rider admits, herself thinking carefully. She ponders a bit, occasionally glancing at me, before seeming to decide on something.

“Well~ I’m reluctant to reveal this, but it’s important, so I have no choice.” She faces me, while scratching her cheek as if embarrassed about something. “The truth is… ever since I was summoned here, my body has been feeling weird.”

“Hm? Weird? What, are you on your period? Going through puberty again?” I ask seriously.

“Master!” Assassin interjects swiftly. “You can’t just ask a girl that, you insensitive oaf.”

“Eh? Why? It’s a serious question.” I blink in surprise at her lecture. Was there something wrong with what I just said.

“Ahaha…” Rider seems to laugh off my lack of delicacy and continues. “That’s not it. But… well, it’s hard to explain so perhaps it’d be easier to just show you.”

Rider seems to prepare to demonstrate something, prompting Assassin and I to watch her closely. With absolutely serenity, Rider closes her eyes, loosens her shoulders, takes a deep breath and—

Whooosh

A buff of flame bursts from her mouth.

“What the?” I gasp at the sight.

She… Rider just breathed fire!? Is this some sort of trick? Assassin looks just as shocked, so I guess it’s not just a Servant thing.

“R-rider… excuse my language but what the bloody hell was that?” I ask with the full force of my shock.

“I’m sure you can understand if I describe it as dragon breath.” Rider calmly explains. “To be honest, after being summoned here, it seems that I ended up gaining some dragon-like powers and physiology.”

“…” I’m speechless, barely able to process what she’s explaining. Is this an effect of the Servant summoning process?

“Honestly, even I don’t know exactly why this happened.” Rider admits. “Well~ You might not be aware, but it seems that, in the Greater Human History, I was connected to a comic book character called Dragon Lady, but that alone shouldn’t merit me gaining draconic abilities. So, if I were to guess…”

I take the info and piece it all together. Rider herself doesn’t have any draconic abilities in life and shouldn’t normally from our world, which means that…

“Your existence has been shifted due to being summoned into this Lostbelt.” I theorize with what I know.

“That’s what I assume.” Rider affirms.

Damn. I hadn’t thought it before, but perhaps this is also a possibility. Lostbelts are different histories, so it’s not implausible that Servants summoned into it are distorted to fit the boundaries of the Lostbelt’s history. If that’s the case then…

“So, there’s a chance that other Servants may have been distorted to become more demonic or monstrous, like your draconic attributes?” I conclude firmly.

“Yes. And that might explain why the reports of the robbery incident mention the perpetrators being demons, if they were actually Servants.” Rider nods along.

This is a lot to take in, so I momentarily pause to reorganize my thoughts. Assassin doesn’t seem to be taking it any better as I am, as she just decides to shut up and nod along like a bobble head.

Distortion of a Servant’s existence… that’s a strange, but definitely notable phenomenon. But then the question is… why? What is it about this world’s history that would cause Rider to become like a dragon? Also, considering her confusion, it doesn’t seem like Assassin herself has experienced this. So why does it not affect her? Is it because I summoned her in our world first and then brought her here? Or because it only affects some Servants, but not others? If so, then what are the boundaries and conditions… Dammit, there’s too much to think about.

“A-anyways…” I try my best to bring the conversation back on track. “For now, let’s shelf that idea. Besides the robbery, there was one more thing Rider heard of.”

“Ah, right.” Rider nods as I bring the attention back to her and starts speaking with an ominous tone. “I don’t know much about this one, but it seems that there’s been something strange about the movements of the demonic beasts on Level 5. It seems that they’ve been acting… less wild lately. There has been a notable decrease in attacks on human settlements and that the ones that have been observed seem to be gathering in large numbers and not acting as violently. Unfortunately, information from Level 5 is scarce so there’s not much I could gather.”

“Hm? Isn’t that a good thing that the demonic beasts are less wild? You made it sound so scary.” Assassin tilts her head at the foreboding with which Rider spoke.

“Not necessarily.” I chime in with a serious tone. “It might be good in the short-term, but if you think about the reason behind such a change, then there might be something even worse in the shadows. If the beasts are gathering and acting less wild… it might be because they’ve found a new leader.”

“!” Assassin perks up at the idea. It seems she fully comprehends how bad that is.

“W-well, it’s not confirmed, since the info we do have is scarce. If we want to learn more, we’ll probably have to go to the level ourselves to investigate.” I mention, trying to lighten the tone. “Anyways, that’s everything we talked about before you arrived, Assassin. So? I’d like to hear your opinion on this.”

It might be a bit cruel, but I look at my slutty Servant with expectation. She’s surprisingly keen about these things. Glancing to my side, I notice Rider also looking at Assassin curiously. Is she trying to assess the other Servant’s capability here and now?

“Hmm…” Assassin thinks long and hard, before finally speaking up. “Well, this is just conjecture but… I think we should look into the existence of demons in this world.”

“… How so?” I ask genuinely.

“Well… I can’t help but notice the strange demonic connection in everything we learned. The existence of demonic beasts, the two demons that attacked the treasury on level 4, the demons gathering on level 5, and the draconic attributes of Rider… I might be reaching, but I think there might be a connection there.” She explains.

“Huh…” I contemplate her suggestion. It certainly does seem strangely all aligned… is there something deeper that I’m currently missing?

I should keep that in mind for now. If the chance comes in the future, I should consider looking into the existence of these ‘demons’. To do that… perhaps the best way would be to first see some in person? And that means, going down to the lower levels…

I lean back into my chair and fold my arms, focusing all my concentration on thought.

I’ve gotten a lot of useful information from Rider and acquired some keen insight from Assassin. So, now, I have to make my decision. Where do we go from here?

Choice!
    Servant Rider has joined your team and it is now time to decide where you will go next. On level 4, there is the mysterious robbery done by two demons. On level 5, there is the alarming organization of demonic beasts. What should you do?

1. Go straight to level 4 to investigate the robbery
    2. Go straight to level 5 to investigate the demonic beasts
    3. Go to level 3 instead to investigate it. There’s a chance there’s something there that Rider’s information network missed.
    4. Go back to the capital for now. It might be good to consult the Emperor about this.

Also, the eternal night is still young. Before the next step of the journey begins, perhaps there’s something else you want to do? What would you like to do before going to bed?

1. Continue chatting with Rider and Assassin in the tent
    2. Check up on Yingying
    3. Hang out with the other bandits
    4. Write a report on the Servant Distortion phenomenon to inform the other Crypters of your discovery
    5. Go to bed and get some rest. You’re injured, you idiot.

Wise-up! Servant Sheet acquired:
    Demonic Rider - Lai Choi San

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    1 + 2
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    1 + 4

4+2

Yao's opinion would probably be of value, though admit it is probably not be in our best interest to delay investigation of Level 5/4, or return with Rider in tow quite yet. Then again, are meant to be working with him, and he'd probably know a bit more about demons than the common folk. Would also give our lad's arms a bit more time to heal (heck he could probably get someone to fix his arms) before we get him shot again (or worse). 4.

Ah, fun as it'd be to hang with our new pirate bros or write that report, should probably check in with the missus, has been through a bit of an ordeal or two today. 2
    Last edited by Cain12; November 24th, 2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Nitpicking. There is something wrong with that second sentence apparently.

Blog Entries
    1 + 2
    We should gather as much data on the demons before we go confront them so we don’t have such a tense time like with Rider. Also Yingying’s our wife so we should make sure she’s okay. As important as helping the other Crypters is we can’t only live for the mission.

My Servant Compendium

Ever wonder what a Holy Grail War set in Texas would be like? Well wonder no longer because here is:
    Fate Texas Night
    Become Naunet the next leader of the Atlas Institute and fight your way to the top of a deadly war.

Blog Entries
    I have a theory on the lost belt the Hou yi killed all ten sun crows is the change
    Last edited by Areop-Enap; October 25th, 2020 at 07:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Year:

“Hey, Yingying, are you awake?”

After excusing myself from Rider’s tent, leaving the Servants some time to get to know each other, I sneak my way towards the tent Yingying retired into and call for her. She seemed rather down-trot as she left earlier, so I want to check up on her.

“Ah, yes? Come in.”

I hear Yingying’s voice come softly from within. I guess she’s still awake. Before I enter, I notice a few of the pirates curiously looking from afar, but I quickly shoo them away.

“Uh… hey, Yingying. I’m sorry. Did I wake you?” I ask somewhat timidly as I enter the tent.

Entering, I see Yingying in her silk pajamas sitting up on a make-shift straw-bed. Her black hair is pulled down, reminding me of our first night together. I’m a bit worried I woke her up.

“No, it’s ok. I… couldn’t sleep.” She responds in her typical gentle fashion. That relieves me a bit and I step into the tent a bit more relaxed. “Is there something you needed, dear?”

“Oh well… y’know. I just wanted to… see you.” I struggle to find the words. “Um… you looked sort of bad earlier. Are you feeling sick? Or… is there something on your mind?”

Shit. I don’t know why but I’m strangely nervous. I usually don’t have trouble talking to Yingying, so why am I getting cold feet now?

“N-no, I’m ok. I was just… not feeling well.” She answers whilst looking down.

“I see… that’s good.” I crack a fake smile
    She’s lying. Even I can tell. She’s trying to not make me worry, but I can tell there’s something bothering her… and I can guess what it is.

For someone as patriotic as her, it must’ve been a shock to encounter the bandits and hear their negative views of the system. After meeting the disenfranchised members of society for the first time, there must be a lot she needs to think about. I can tell that this is a serious matter for her, but… I don’t know what to do.

I… I want to support her. But what’s the best way to do that? Should I tell her to cheer up and don’t worry about it too much? Should I help her sort through her feelings and listen to her troubles? Should I give her some space to think? As her friend, what am I supposed to do?

Dammit. I guess that’s why I’m acting hesitant. I don’t want to say or do something uncalled for.

“… do you mind if I sit down?” I ask with indecision, unable to come up with anything clever to say.

“Oh, no, go ahead.” She naturally nods. For now, I take that as a chance to get closer and begin to sit down by her bed-side and—

“Ow.” I squelch as I try to fold my legs with my hands, still forgetting the injuries I’ve sustained.

“A-are you okay?” Yingying asks in concern. In the dimness of the tent, I have a bit of trouble seeing her precise expression though.

“Y-yeah. Don’t worry about it. It’s not that big of a deal, really.” I slightly laugh off the pain and manage to cross my legs properly as I sit on the floor.

“Choi San… was it? She really did a number on you.” Yingying remarks, looking closely at my bandaged arms.

“Yeah, I guess. But I consider it a light price to pay to get her help.” I chuckle a little, brandishing the bandages as if they were a wound a pride.

“Right… I guess we’ll be working with her… and the bandits from here on… That’s… that’s good.” Yingying mumbles, poorly hiding dejection from her voice.

As I thought, she’s struggling with the idea of working with the pirates. And I suppose I can’t blame her at all. It’s different for me, but to her, these pack of low-life crooks should just be evil criminals. It’s a bit extreme, but I guess in the perspective of my world, it’d be like getting conscripted with the mafia or some evil cult. It must be hard on her… but I guess she’s trying to not say anything since I decided on it.

I cup my hands and think hard. What should I do? Is there a way to help Yingying see things from a more flexible perspective? No, is that even the right thing to do? Is there anything wrong with the lens of justice in which she sees the world?

I… don’t know. I’m definitely the wrong person to be asking this. Morality? Ethics? Good and evil? Perspective? How the hell do you expect an inhuman monster to have a grand philosophy regarding those concepts.

I don’t know. I don’t know anything. And that’s why…

“H-hey! Ya know, Yingying...” I abruptly bring up another topic. Taking a deep breath and gathering my courage, I say with my utmost recklessness. “Don’t you think that Rider is too sexy?”

“Ehh!?” She exclaims in shock at my sudden lecherous comment. Well, no doubt it must be weird to hear such a line from a prude like myself, but I press forward past the embarrassment.

“I mean, just look at her. Her butt is SO big! Her whole body is like a carnival of curves, drawing more circles than a kindergarten art class. And her dress is so small, it practically hides nothing, and when she moves around a lot, her leg flap moves wildly and you can get a glimpse at what’s underneath, so I have no idea what to look at when I’m talking to her. Then there’s her husky yet sultry voice that’s just the right amount of enticing. Every time she speaks, it feels like she’s pouring poison into my brain. I can barely take her seriously.” I air my frustrations vigorously.

“O-oh… I see…” Yingying barely manages to reply, likely weirded out by my ero-tirade. But, like a horny old man with a loud mouth, I don’t stop.

“And then there’s Assassin who’s just as bad, if not worse! Rather than a dynamite body, it’s more like a guided missile that hits your base directly. She’s almost as voluptuous as Rider, but she’s so slender and weirdly toned. It’s like all her fat goes directly to her sweet spots. A-and, not to mention that her dress hides literally nothing! Cleavage, nape, navel, thigh, everything’s on display. It’s like a bargain window sale at the corner store, flaunting all the goods for the public to see. Forget not looking her in the eyes; the eyes are the only safe part of her body!” I rant tirelessly.

“U-umm…” Yingying visibly struggles to think of something to say.

“Honestly, it’s really troublesome to have them walking around so shamelessly. That alone is already testing my restraint, but whenever we have to talk about business, I am forced to summon the power of a hundred buddhas just to keep my composure. Every interaction feels like a dramatic battle against my inner self. And I don’t know how much longer I can go on without losing it and giving into my instincts…” I state with a shaking trepidation.

Before Yingying can respond though, I sigh softly and turn to her with a serious look.

“So, that’s why, compared to that, I feel really comfortable talking to you.” I admit my genuine feelings.

“Huh?” Yingying jerks, visibly stunned by the sudden compliment.

“It’s just… ya know. Being with you and talking with you… really calms me down. I feel relaxed when you’re by my side.” I try to explain how I feel when I sit next to Yingying on moonless nights like this.

Ever since I was ten… ever since that day, I’ve always had trouble talking with girls. It’s still a big problem but… Even though I’ve only known her for not too long, I feel like I don’t need to try to hard when I’m with Yingying. Perhaps it’s because she’s so simple and nice, and a little naïve. Well, as a guy, I’m still nervous around her for normal reasons. But as a person… as a human, I feel serene. She’s not my Servant or my business partner or my peer or anything like that. Being a magus, being a Master, being a world savior… such things don’t matter. She’s just… my wife, I guess?

So, I wonder… is that what it feels like to be married? Is this what it feels like to have a genuine home?

“So… maybe it’s just me but I feel like we have an honest and casual relationship. And I want you to feel the same way.” I tell her straight up. “I’m sure you know by now that I’m not… the brightest guy around. I was raised weirdly so I miss a lot of social cues and I often can’t tell what you’re thinking. So, if there’s ever anything bothering you or something you want me to know… you can just tell me. No matter what it is.”

I think that that’s all I can say to her. It frustrates me, but I guess all I can do is be there to listen to her if she has something she wants to say. I wish I could do more for her.

I grit my teeth a little at my own weakness. Even though someone I care about is hurting in front of me, so why can’t I do anything more to help her… Once again, I lament my lack of power, but—

“… thanks.”

Softly, almost impossible to hear, Yingying mutters to me her appreciation.

“Huh?”

Not expecting such a reply, I stare blankly at her. There, in the dimly lit tent, I barely make out the girl that’s supposed to be my wife smiling warmly at me.

“Thank you, dear. You really are… a nice person.” She says honestly. There isn’t a shred of dishonesty or irony in her voice. That hit me hard.

“W-what? Me? Nice? Nah, no way. I’m actually a bully you know. I’m a cold-hearted magus who doesn’t care for morality so… so…” I try to act cool, flustered as heck, but quickly realize I’m not fooling anyone and quiet down. “So… you’re welcome, I guess.”

“Thank you… but, I need to think a bit more. When I’m ready, I’ll talk to you…” She states, still smiling.

“… y-yeah. That’s good.” I respond lightly.

She was still smiling at me warmly. She was smiling but… in the darkness of the tent, with the shadows covering her eyes, it looked a little hollow.

I wonder if this really was all I could do for her. But I guess there’s no point wondering that now.

“W-well, that’s all I wanted to say, so I guess I’ll be going now.” I get up quickly, unable to face the things I want to say. “We have a long journey ahead, so get some rest, okay?”

“Ah, of course. Good night, dear.” She bids me farewell in her typical manner.

“Oh yeah.” I quickly realize something before I leave the tent. “I hope that straw-bed isn’t too rough for you. I’m sure it’s probably not something you’re used to, but we’re probably gonna be camping out a lot from now on so… Sorry.”

“No, no, it’s fine.” She quickly relieves my worries. “I’m actually really used to this. Before I became princess, I slept on straw all the time.”

Oh, yeah. Now that she mentions it, I keep forgetting Yingying wasn’t always royalty. I guess camping out like this might actually be nostalgic for her…

Hm? Wait, that gives me an idea.

“H-hey, Yingying. So… by the way, we decided earlier that we’ll be going to Level 4 next to gather some more data.” I explain to her.

“Oh, okay. That’s great.” She quickly accepts my decision as always.

“Well, actually, the thing is… I was thinking that since we don’t know a lot about what’s down there, it would really help if we had a local guide… And a familiar place to stay. So, if you’re up for it… maybe we could… visit your old village? I remember you saying you were from Level 4, right?” I suggest.

“R-really!?” Yingying exclaims surprisingly. She practically jumps out of the bed at the idea. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her this energetic before.

“Y-yeah. It’d be a big help.” I tell her, a little taken aback by her sudden outburst.

“Yes, yes. It’d definitely be okay. I’d love to introduce you to my family.” She happily confirms.

“Great. Then we’ll start heading there tomorrow. Get some good night sleep, okay?” I say, before ducking out of the tent.

As I leave though, I take one last look at Yingying and see her acting giddy in her bed. She looks like a child too excited to sleep the night before a field trip. It’s a little embarrassing to watch but…

Yeah, that sort of happiness suits her best.

Feeling a little better about myself, I coolly leave the tent to go back to my own abode.

And the moment I exit, I find literally every other person in the camp just outside. And in the front of the crowd are the two fox-women Servants.

“… were you listening?” I ask with absolute fear in my voice and eyes.

“Hm, hm. So my body is like a guided missile, huh? I guess for all your prudishness, you’re still a man after all, Master.” Assassin slyly comments.

“Oh~ I didn’t know my attire bothered you so much, boy. You should have said something.” Rider says with a serious expression.

I immediately bury my face in my palms.

… god, just kill me now.

Year: 2018

“Just go down this path, and we should be there soon!”

From the front of the carriage, Yingying’s energetic voice could be heard as she directed the wagon driver at the front of the caravan where to go.

About two days after meeting and recruiting Rider, our whole party had made it to Level 4 and were now moments away from reaching Yingying’s village. My arms have been healing a little, but they’re still far from full strength. There’s a good chance they may not heal fully before the end of this journey.

I wasn’t sure what I expected from Level 4, but it wasn’t too different from the rest of the Empire. I guess the idea of it being less secure made me think of an apocalyptic wasteland in which mohawk bikers ravage the world, but such a manly setting of love and justice wouldn’t fit this kind of adventure. Instead, the Level was just more… simple? There’s a lot more farmland, the cities are less developed, and there’s more space between each town. The towns themselves, though, are still pretty cramped, but I guess that can’t be helped.

Surprisingly, we still have yet to run into a demonic beast even after arriving here. I guess they typically don’t attack large groups of people, so our heavily armed caravan might have scared any off. Or perhaps… is this an effect of the phenomenon spotted on level 5? Could that have also spread to level 4, now too?

Well, either way, we’ll have plenty of time to investigate once we set up camp near Yingying’s village. And also, I’m just happy to see Yingying not look as depressed as before.

“Hmmm…”

“W-what?”

From next to me in the carriage, I notice Assassin making a contemplative expression while glaring at me.

“No, nothing. I was just thinking that my Master’s a lot more soft-hearted than I originally thought he was.” She remarks sullenly.

“W-what makes you say that?” I try to pretend like I don’t know what she’s talking about.

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe the fact that we’re going all the way to this small village just because you want to make your wife happy.” She states with a smirk on her face.

“T-that has nothing to do with it. It was the logical decision.” I shake my head furiously. “If we’re gathering information, it’s better to have someone who knows the area. Plus, the locals will speak more frankly if it’s to someone they already know. Therefore, I’m just making the most efficient decision.”

“Sure…” Assassin snarks, completely unconvinced. “Now, don’t get me wrong, Master. I’m not scolding you. In fact, I’m quite proud. You’re finally acting like a proper husband. At this rate, you might actually kiss her by the end of the month. I approve!”

She gives me a big thumbs up that I quickly swat away.

“Y-you’re mistaken. I told you that’s not how it is.” I deny everything like a suspect on trial. “And w-why would I kiss her and stuff like that? That’s dumb. No way, no way!”

“Hmmm…” Assassin makes a difficult face. “Could it be… are you actually not attracted to the princess?”

“Eh?” I gasp at the unexpected question.

“Well, I was just thinking how when you were complaining about my and Rider’s sexiness, you did say you felt comfortable around the princess. Could it be… you don’t see her as a girl?” She suggests.

“Don’t be stupid! It’s cause she doesn’t dress like a slut, unlike a certain someone.” I retort violently. “Why are you so insistent on stuff like this anyways? My preferences are none of your business.”

“I just want to see my grandchildren before I die! Is that so much to ask?” She complains with fake tears in her eyes.

“When did you become my mother!?’

As always, Assassin and I are getting along swimmingly…

Anyways, after a while, we arrive at Chang-an village at last. With many cramped buildings made of wood stacked in neat rows, it lacks the image of homeliness I expected from Yingying’s excitement. The girl, in question, however, is looking at the familiar town with sparkling eyes as we arrive.

We stop just on the edge of the main road so we can organize ourselves. I get off the carriage to try and get everyone together, but before I can, I notice Rider’s already one step ahead.

“Okay, everyone~ As discussed, we’ll be splitting up for a bit. Team A will take the carriages to a safe place to park them. Team B will find cheap lodging if possible. If not, we’ll set up camp just outside the village. Team C is with me. We’ll be scanning the city for notable details and any immediate potential dangers, especially Servants. Understood?” She immediately commands the crew with her manly voice.

“““Yes, Big Sis!””” The pirates salute and immediately get to work.

I can’t understate how impressed I am. Beneath that skimpy dress really is the most feared pirate queen of China.

“And boy. You and Assassin will be accompanying the princess to visit her old home, correct?” She turns to me and asks.

“Ah, yeah. We’ll be seeing them first and might stay there for the night if things go well.” I confirm professionally. “Please take care of things while we’re away, Rider.”

“Won’t be a problem. Good luck, boy.” She gives me a pat on the shoulder and heads off, taking her followers with her.

At times like this, I realize that I really did gain a powerful ally. For the first time, I truly feel the capability of a Servant, a legendary hero.

“Hm? I feel like you just insulted me in your mind.” Assassin states, apparently having acquired some sort of sixth sense.

Ignoring the not-heroic-at-all Servant, I have Yingying lead the way as we head towards her old home.

To be honest, I’m a bit scared to meet her family, but I guess that’s the feeling every man gets about meeting their in-laws. As we make our way down the road, I have to remind myself that I’m not just here for familial pleasantries. This is a good chance to learn from some familiar locals about a lot of the questions I have.

First and foremost is the robbery that happened on this level about a week ago. It obviously wasn’t in this village, but the city it was in wasn’t too far from this place. So there’s a good chance that the locals here have heard some good rumors about what happened. After that, we can probably make a day trip to the actual city to investigate the site of the robbery to gain more info and go from there. If it’s really necessary, we might have to even cooperate with the local authorities, though I’m a bit reluctant for that. Just like that, we’ll have to gather clues to try and track down the perpetrators.

It’s a bit tedious, but I guess that’s just part of investigation. I mean, it’s not like we can just casually run into a Servant—

“Ah”

“Ah”

“Hmm?”

… well, you know what they say about Cao Cao and what not.

There, in the middle of the road are two Servants, standing menacingly and looking at us. As if not wanting to get involved with them, the rest of the crowded street is going out of their way to walk around them.

One is a fierce-looking man with the presence of a feral beast.

The other is a sporty-looking woman with a noble demeanor.

They’re both dressed in a way reminiscent of one of those Hong Kong martial arts movies and their stance reminds me of a dojo challenge.

The moment Assassin and I notice them, we stop dead in our tracks while Yingying curiously looks back, wondering why we stopped. To be honest, even I feel confused at the situation. Give me back my expectations!

“Hey, you!” The woman Servant suddenly speaks up, breaking the strange silence, and points at Assassin. “You’re a Servant, right? Perfect, come here. We’ve been summoned here too, so let’s talk a bit.”

“Eh, me?” Assassin is flustered at the sudden invitation and glances at me, as if waiting for my approval. I scratch my head as to what to do. It seems they’re assuming that Assassin was summoned independently as well.

Could it be... they knew Assassin would be here and have been waiting for her so they can talk? This is... a very unexpected situation.

Well then, just how the hell am I supposed to react to this random encounter?

Choice!
    You have arrived at Level 4 in Yingying’s old village. Before you can begin your investigation, it suddenly ends as you encounter two Servants randomly in the streets, who invite Assasin to talk with them. What do you do?

1. Go with Assassin to talk with them as her Master
    2. Have Assassin talk with them while you watch from afar to keep them from knowing you’re her Master
    3. Now’s not the time. You promised to go to Yingying’s house, so the two of you should go now. Maybe promise the Servants to talk with them later.
    4. Have Assassin talk with them, while you go to Yingying’s house.
    5. Write-in

Wise-up! Demonic Lancer
    Class: Lancer
    True Name: ??
    Region: China
    Origin: ??

Parameters:
    STR: C
    END: B
    AGI: A
    MGI: C
    LCK: E
    NP: ??
    Wise-up! Demonic Saber
    Class: Saber
    True Name: ??
    Region: China
    Origin: ??

Parameters:
    STR: D
    END: D
    AGI: B
    MGI: D
    LCK: C
    NP: ??

References
    Demonic Lancer
    Demonic Saber

Blog Entries
    A test of character on their part - - if they "insist," then they bare themselves true in their intent.
    If they comply, then at the very least they show restraint. (Sleepy ramble)
    Last edited by SleepMode; November 25th, 2019 at 10:37 AM.

Now Revamped!

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    In Gordon Ramsay voice: Where is the Bianca choice?!

Bandwagoning on Sleepy's

3 pls

Blog Entries
    4 makes sense

I am trusting Sleepy's knowledge of Wuxia tropes, so let's go with 3.

Blog Entries
    3 makes sense. Leaving Assassin with two servants would be mean.

Signature by fumato

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    I'll chose 3. Makes the most sense and I do not want to provoke 2 knight classes with only a non combat Assassin and a Rider and 3 seems relatively the best at that.

My Servant Compendium

Ever wonder what a Holy Grail War set in Texas would be like? Well wonder no longer because here is:
    Fate Texas Night
    Become Naunet the next leader of the Atlas Institute and fight your way to the top of a deadly war.

Blog Entries

Year:

“Hold on.”

I promptly step in front of Assassin to wedge myself into the conversation. The two Servants look at me curiously.

“You are?” The female Saber asks, clearly surprised at my interjection.

“Sorry to interrupt, but I’m her… partner. We’re a team.” I explain cautiously. “If you have something to discuss with her, I’d like to hear it as well.”

This is a troublesome situation, so I tread carefully. Two knight-class Servants… they overpower us way too much, even if Rider were with us. If I don’t play my cards right, we could be taken out instantly.

“Hm? Is that so?” Saber tilts her head a little, but still walks up towards us with an earnest expression. “Very well, then, could we go somewhere private? There’s something important we’d like to discuss with you two.”

I carefully consider the situation as I observe Saber’s mannerisms. She has a serious, dignified tone to her voice, but I sense a sort of youthful energy to her movements. Though it’s the wrong culture, she reminds me of my image of a female knight from one of those fantasy novels. At the same time, though, I notice the male Lancer Servant glaring at us from behind. He hasn’t said anything yet, but I can feel the sharpness of his gaze. Together, they make an interesting pair.

Before I answer, I take the moment to glance back at Assassin. Quickly noticing, she gives me a simple nod, a sign of her trust in my decision. It seems it’s up to me, then. In that case…

“We don’t really mind but… we actually have a prior engagement we must attend to. Would it be okay if we talk at a later chance?” I ask carefully. I have a few tactical reasons for me to delay this conversation, but it is also true that we promised to visit Yingying’s home first.

“Oh, that’s a bit…” Saber scratches her head a little. “It’d be preferable if we could…”

“That’s fine.” Lancer suddenly interjects, before Saber could even finish responding. It’s the first time he spoke, but I can feel a commanding tone to his voice.

“Eh? Are you sure?” Saber questions as she hesitatingly looks back at her companion.

“There should be no problems with talking later.” He confirms sagely, before turning to me. “Will your engagement take long?”

“... It should only take a few hours.” I answer after some thought. “If there’s somewhere you’d like to meet us, we could do so in say… 5 hours?”

“That won’t be necessary. We’ll find you.” He declares and then, with no care for the rest of the conversation, leaps away into the sky.

“Ah, wait, wait.” Saber exclaims as her companion departs suddenly. “Sheesh, he’s always like this.”

Putting her hands on her hips in complaint, she looks at her companions escaping back before swiftly turning back to us.

“Sorry about this. We’ll see you later tonight, I guess. Ciao!” She gives her farewells before jumping after Lancer.

“…ok.” I’m left speechless at their hasty departure. Those two seem like a very strange pair.

Well, then, this is certainly a troublesome situation. I still don’t know what those two want, but I can tell it’s nothing good. At the same time, though, I can’t get the feeling that they’re bad people…

“Um… is everything alright?” Yingying asks from behind, after witnessing that whole weird exchange. “Do you know those two?”

“Uhh… no. They’re just some… troublesome associates.” I answer, myself not really knowing what to make of them. “It’s fine, don’t worry about it. More importantly, let’s keep going. Your house isn’t too much further, is it?”

“Ah, right. It’s this way.” She nods, her worries assuaged, and goes back to leading us forward.

She moves ahead and I slowly follow. I still feel anxious, but now not towards the thought of Yingying’s family. I’m worried about what to do with those two Servants.

“Master…” Assassin speaks with concern, trailing behind me.

“Yeah, I know…” She doesn’t need to say anything for me to understand that she’s worried as well. “… I’ll keep going to Yingying’s house, so could you run and contact Rider quickly? If things go badly, we’ll need her help.”

“Roger.” She confirms before vanishing from view.

Well then… these are gonna be a couple of nerve-wracking hours in more ways than one.

Year: 2018

“Hm? Where’d Assassin go?” Yingying asks as she notices the disappearance of the familiar Servant.

“Oh, she just had some business to take care of. She’ll be joining us a bit later.” I answer casually, as we head up the steps.

After a bit more walking, we had arrived at Yingying’s family’s home, an apartment within a gigantic housing complex. As you’d expect from this world, the building was a huge block, cramming numerous residences into one space. It was such a place that you could only describe it as efficient. I don’t know why I was looking forward to some sort of rural, happy home filled with colorful memories when I already knew what this world was like…

Yingying’s family’s place was on the 18th floor so we were in for a tough climb. Yingying cheerfully leaps up the steps while I drag my couch-potato body up heavily. With each level up, I feel the burn in my legs intensify and curse that this world hasn’t invented elevators yet. My arms are already down for the count, but at this rate, I might not be able to walk tomorrow.

After what felt like the climb out of hell, we make it to our destination, an utterly indistinct door among a row of precisely identical entrances. At the top of the door is a number and a nameplate with the word “Cui” written on. I guess that must’ve been Yingying’s family name before she was adopted.

“So this is where you grew up, huh…” I say, trying to hide my lack of enthusiasm at how unimpressive it seems.

“Hm? Oh no, it’s not.” She suddenly shakes her head.

“… huh?” I’m left bewildered at her answer.

“Well, after I became princess and moved to the capital, our family didn’t need as much space so they were relocated to a more appropriate lodging.” She explains as a matter of fact. “I was notified of the address in a letter, but I’ve never actually been here before.”

“Oh… huh.” I nod along, somewhat caught off guard. So, there isn’t anything sentimental about this location after all? That’s… a little bit of a shame, I think.

“Still, to be honest, I’m a little nervous.” Yingying casually admits as we stand before the door. “It’s been two years since I’ve seen them after all… So much has happened.”

“… don’t know what to say?” I ask uncharacteristically solemn.

“No, that’s not it. It’s just… nevermind.” She shakes her worries away, but I can tell she seems a little uncertain about something.

Looking at her trepidation, I’m reminded of the times I would visit my dad and how I would stand outside the door for so long, just trying to think of how to talk to him. I doubt it’s to that degree, but perhaps she also has a reason to hesitate in seeing her family?

“Hmm… then, shall I cast a magic spell on you?” I offer after some thought.

“Huh? Magic?”

Before she can pull back, I swiftly draw close. I planned to place my hand on her forehead but quickly remember I’m crippled, so I instead touch my forehead with hers, before closing my eyes.

A delicate sensation.

Breath mingling with breath. Skin brushing against skin.

Our heads connect. I feel the Yingying’s heat closely as I fire up my own body.

“Ehhh…” I hear her quiet voice shiver at the sudden physical contact.

“Don’t worry. It’s just a little charm… to give you the courage to make your wishes come true.” I explain nonchalantly and begin.

Lightly, weakly. Aptly, quickly. Tick-tock, tick-tock, hurry, hurry.

Flying, swimming, running, leaping. Tick-tock, tick-tock, blow the whistle.

The stars shine in the northern sky, always and forever.

The energy circles through me and flows into her. I feel a response and confirm the success.

“Phew. Alright, that should work.” I sigh in relief and open my eyes. “That should help ease your anxiety a bit.”

That was my signature spell, Wish. It’s elementary suggestion that can do simple things like calm a person down or get them motivated. In this case, I used it to make Yingying less nervous. Well, I call it my signature spell, but it’s actually just the only thing I can do half-decently. Figures this would be the only type of magecraft I have some talent for.

As I open my eyes, I expect to find Yingying having calmed down a lot, but instead am greeted with the sight of her red-faced and seemingly excited.

“Huh? What’s wrong?” I ask with worry.

I hope I didn’t accidently give her a fever by failing the spell or something. Instead of seeming sick, however, Yingying turns her head slightly as if not to face me and responds,

“T-that kind of direct attack is unfair…”

Hm? I don’t get what she’s talking about. Direct attack… oh, she means directly using my magecraft on her. Ahh, I guess it was rather rude to just use it without asking first. How dumb of me.

“S-sorry. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable…” I try to apologize, feeling bad about my eternal lack of delicacy.

“No, no, it’s fine.” She waves off my apology, as always, and manages to gain her composure. “I know you don’t mean to do these kind of things…”

She takes a little breath and all the nerves in her body seem to instantly relax. That must be the spell kicking in at last.

“Okay… I think I do feel a little better now.” She calms down and pushes past her nervousness. “Right. Nothing will happen if I just worry. I’ll just have to ring the bell.”

With just a little help from me, she summons up some courage and reaches for the string by the door. From the looks of it, it seems like there’s some bell mechanism inside the houses with an attached string that goes outside. So, if a visitor comes, they can tug on the string and it’ll ring the bell within. That’s rather nice for an archaic system. I wonder if actual old doorbells were something like this in my world.

“Who is it?” A voice calls out from within, drowning out the sound of the ringing bell. Moments later, the door opens, and a middle-aged looking woman steps out.

“Hello…” Yingying quietly greets the woman. In turn, the woman stares blankly at us as if observing us carefully.

“How may I help you?” For some reason, the woman asks cautiously. That’s a weird response…

“Mom… it’s me.” Yingying simply answers.

For a moment, you can see the woman process those words before a sudden strike of realization flashes across her face.

“Yingying?” She asks with rising hope in her voice.

In response, Yingying merely nods and an instant later she’s hugged viciously by the woman.

“Oh my gosh. I almost didn’t recognize you. You’ve grown up so much.” Her mother exclaims as she embraces her daughter tightly.

“Geez, Mom. What are you talking about? It’s only been 2 years.” Yingying says such with a strained smile.

After what seems like an eternity of warmth, the two finally let go of each other.

“What are you doing here? You weren’t fired, were you?” Her mother asks with both expectation and concern.

“I don’t think you can be fired from being a princess…” Yingying giggles. “That’s not it. I just came to visit. Don’t tell me I’m not welcome anymore.”

“Of course not. Oh, it’s so good to see you. Your father’s out right now, but he’ll be back shortly. Come in, come in.” Her mom says energetically, before suddenly seeing me. “Oh? And who is this gentleman?”

“Well, Mom.” Yingying responds with a smile as she introduces me. “This… is my husband.”

“H-hi.” I meekly greet, unsure of what to say after that intro.

“…”

The mother freezes. Her expression becomes one of blank wonder, unable to process the meaning of those words. It seems as if the entire world froze along with her.

And the next moment, she falls over like a computer crashing.

“MOM!?” Yingying cries and out and rushes to her fainted mother.

I, however, can only look at the scene with worry. I hope my mother-in-law is prone to fainting spells, or I’ll feel really concerned about my ability to make grown women collapse at the mere knowledge that I’m married to their daughters…

I am now really not looking forward to meeting the father.

Choice!
    You have arrived at Yingying’s old village. While your main objective for coming here may be something else, you also plan to use this chance to learn from the locals of this Level about some of the mysteries you’ve encountered. What topic is your current top priority for investigation?

1. The empty sky
    2. The Emperor
    3. Demons
    4. The treasury robbery
    5. Saber and Lancer
    6. Write-In

JP Friend Code

Blog Entries
    Best to see the Emperor from a perspective not under the man's complete scrutiny.

Now Revamped!

2. I argued for it on Discord so I'm following my precepts.

There's a discord?

Anyway, 2. Learning more about the Emperor will probably make asking specifically about the sky and what not redundant, if he's in any way responsible for them.