Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: [Quest] Lostbelt Raising Project

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    3. Be honest and correct her misunderstanding.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Blog Entries

Year:

“Actually…”

I interrupt the woman who offers to show us the way and begin to correct the misunderstanding.

In the end, I don’t want to lie or deceive the woman. As I said before, I want to build a good relationship with Assassin, so I shouldn’t do too many things to disappoint her. No lying for now. I’ll just have to approach things honestly and tell the truth! This too is a form of compromise.

“I’m sorry, but I’m actually not an official initiate or anything like that. The truth is we’re not from around here.” I say plainly.

“Not from around here?” The woman named Yingying cocks her head a little in surprise. “So, you’re from one of the bottom levels?”

“No. I mean we’re from… far, far away.” I try to think of how to explain things. In the end, I realize that, at this point, trying to hide things will only make things worse and I can only just say the full truth. “The truth is we’re… sort of from another world. And we just arrived here and don’t know anything about this place.”

“Another world!?!” Yingying exclaims at my revelation. Her loud voice seems to catch the notice of some of the people walking in the crowd. They take a moment to turn their heads toward us, but quickly return to their own business.

“Ahem. I apologize for my outburst.” Yingying bows lightly. “But I see. You’re from another world…”

She seems to be processing the information. I’m actually kind of surprised she just accepted what I said so easily. Is she just a gullible person? Or are the people here all the sort that take things at face value?

“I see. That is a very serious matter. Then I should bring you to the castle after all.” She seems to come to a decision after a moment of contemplation. Compared to before, her expression seems much more serious… but at the same time, I do sense a bit of warmness. “I’m sure they can help you out as well.”

So, she offers.

“Yes, thank you very much.” I respond sincerely.

I don’t really have a reason to refuse her bringing us to the castle. Either way, I need to meet this ‘Emperor Yao’ eventually, and this seems like the fastest way to do so and the best way to learn more about this world.

“Alright. Then please follow me.” She says before heading right back into the assembly line crowds.

I swiftly follow behind her, careful not to be left behind. As I do so, I realize I never consulted Assassin on her opinion and feel a little bad. When I take a glance back to talk to her though…

I think I saw her smile a little.

Wise-up! Assassin's Status
    Affection up!
    You are now considerate towards Assassin’s opinions.

Year: 2018

After a short and efficient walk through the city, we arrive at the castle in the middle. As expected, it is a glamorous and magnificent looking building that inspires awe upon seeing it. All the buildings in the city are pretty tall, but the castle easily takes the cake.

Once we get there, Yingying informs the guards in front of the castle gate of the circumstances. About 20 minutes later, another guard returns and informs us that the Emperor himself would like us to have an audience with him. With that, we are led into the castle and to the throne room. We, of course, part ways with Yingying and say our brief goodbyes. It was a brief acquaintance, but I suppose I’m grateful to her help. I hope I’ll be able to see her again in the near future.

Anyways, after many flights of stairs, Assassin and I reach the throne room near the top of the castle. Gosh, what an inconvenient placement.

We enter and are immediately greeted with the sight of opulence and magnificence. An orgy of red and gold sculpted in simple, yet ornate designs decorate our view. For the first time since coming to this world, it is a room that doesn’t feel cramped and that alone speaks wonders of its relative worth. And, in the center of this spectacle on a temple altar-like throne sits a man of delicate beauty.

“Welcome, travelers from another world.”

His voice naturally seems to echo across the entire room. Majesty and pride drip from every syllable of his words. Yet, at the same time, there is a hint of gentle detachment lingering in his tone. There is no doubt that this is the rumored Emperor Yao, the ruler of this country.

“Master, this man…” Assassin whispers from behind me with a trembling voice.

“Yeah…” I can only nod softly.

Even I can tell that a massive magical presence is exuding from the man before me. It is almost overwhelming if not suffocating. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone with this much of an aura, magus or Servant… if I were to quantify it, it would be about equal to 10,000 Assassins!

Clearly, he is not to be trifled with.

Wise-up! Emperor's Status
    Class: ???
    True Name: Emperor Yao
    Region: China
    Origin: Chinese Mythology

Parameters:
    STR: C
    END: C
    AGI: C
    MGI: A+
    LCK: A+
    NP: ??

I take a look around me and see a few other men in fancy robes standing to the sides of the throne room and some guards in full armor. From what I’ve seen in the city and the people in this room, I get the sense that I should at least try to be respectful here.

“It is an honor to be in your presence, Emperor.” I bow and express my respect. Assassin follows, looking more elegant than my own clumsy attempt.

“Raise your head. I understand that you are unfamiliar with our customs so there is no need to force it now. Let us speak frankly.” The Emperor proclaims and motions for us to stand straight. We, of course, oblige.

Despite his tense presence, the man himself speaks with a pleasantness that’s almost youthful. Judging from his demeanor and appearance, he certainly doesn’t seem like someone who’s lived 4000 years.

“So, does that mean you know about us, your majesty?” I inquire, picking up on how quickly he seems to accept our background.

“Yes. My magi have already foreseen your arrival.” The Emperor confirms my suspicions. “We have also deduced the reason you have come here. Everyone in this room is already familiar with your circumstances and can be trusted. Thus, you do not need to hide anything. Speak sincerely.”

Well, that’s certainly convenient. It’ll make discussion here a lot smoother.

“Then, your majesty, there is little that needs to be said.” I implore him earnestly. “I have come to help save this world! I wish to work with you to obtain a brighter future.”

My proclamation is followed by silence. The Emperor, resting his head on his hand, simply looks down at me with sharp, dagger-like eyes. I feel like prey before predator… no, that’s not right. It’s more like… a child in front of an adult.

At last, after several moments, he speaks once more.

“Do you believe you are capable of doing such?”

I clench my fist and grit my teeth.

“Of course! Even I can…I can save the world too!”

I must have shouted without meaning to, as I can hear the echo of my own voice for a short while after I finish speaking. Assassin behind me seems a little surprised by how hot-blooded I got. The Emperor, however, does not change his expression.

“Very well. I recognize your resolve and shall accept it.” He declares, raising his hand regally. “However, here in this world, we do not recognize confidence alone. I shall need to test your abilities, first.”

“… How so?” I ask somewhat timidly.

A test? I wasn’t expecting that. I suppose I shouldn’t have thought it would be that easy but… what will the test be? A death fight? A demonstration of my magecraft? Shit, if it’s either of those things I don’t stand a chance. I’m just a modern scholar, I can’t compete with ancient warriors in physical or magical attributes!

“Of course, with this country’s foremost system…”

For the first time, the Emperor grins. A look of malice and sadism flashes on his gentle face. There is no doubt about it. It’s going to be an impossible challenge comparable to the Twelve Labors. Dammit, what will happen if I don’t pass? I’m so doomed! The Emperor takes a deep breath and I close my eyes in fear and—

“The Imperial Examination!!!”

“… eh?”

“Why is it a written exam of all things!?” I question my strange situation as I hurriedly fill out the exam sheet as fast as I can.

“Hm, it seems like this country values intelligence above all else.” Assassin lackadaisically comments while peering at the questions from over my shoulder.

After the Emperor’s declaration, the two of us were led to a smaller private room with a desk somewhere else in the castle and given an exam booklet and a time limit. There’s no one else in the room to guard us, but I suppose there isn’t a way for us to cheat anyways.

“Shit. This is actually pretty hard.” I complain as I scan over all the questions. There’s all sorts of topics covered in it, ranging from mathematics to reading comprehension to logical reasoning to even ethics. Given the time limit of only two hours and over 100 questions, it’s an incredibly rough challenge from the get-go, even for me.

“Ara? Are you having trouble, Master?” Assassin wonders, observing my frustration.

“Yeah, sort of. This one’s gonna be pretty tough.” I can only spare a few words as most of my concentration is being spent by the test in front of me.

“Then, do you need my help?” She offers earnestly.

I take a moment to look at her and consider my options. Well, they allowed us both into the room so working together shouldn’t be against the rules. It’s not like they said I was the only one being tested. From one perspective, you could even argue that a Servant’s power is part of the Master’s ability so…

“Yeah, if you can.” I accept readily.

“Well, then. First of all, for this question, you should do this… and here you do that and this and over here…” Assassin immediately switches into action and starts offering advice to me.

Although she isn’t able to give me the answers outright, she points out ways to solve each question and how to approach the different topics. Just from listening to her, I feel my brain start to move faster and things suddenly seem much easier. Before I know it, I’m suddenly blazing through the exam several times faster than I was before.

Advice for Test-taking B
    Knowledge and wisdom regarding taking written exams that can be shared, such as test-taking strategies. At this rank, this skill greatly increases the score of one ally on any written exams they take. It is a very specific skill.

Thanks to Assassin’s help, I manage to complete the entire exam just in time. Afterwards, someone comes in to retrieve my test and we’re left to wait for a few dozen more minutes before we are finally called back to the throne room. The Emperor is naturally waiting for us there with what I assume are my results in his hand.

“Hm, hm…” He carefully examines my answers with keen concentration. “Very well. Your results are acceptable. You are worthy.”

“Phew…” I can’t help but take a sigh of relief after all that hard work. It looks like I didn’t fail at the very least. “Then does that mean…”

“Yes. I shall accept your help.” The Emperor nods.

Yes! I was worried there for a bit, but I managed to win the Emperor’s approval. From here on, things should move slowly if I’ve gotten the Emperor on my side.

“You are now a proper citizen of this empire. You shall be granted the official title of ‘special advisor’ in charge of the future of this nation. Your position will be… about equal to that of a senior official and you will of course be compensated accordingly.”

“Eh?”

The Emperor’s sudden decree dampens my celebration. Hold on… did he just say that I’m now a citizen?

“Da Yu! Make the preparations for the official ceremony at once.” He swiftly orders another person in the room. “Also, prepare a house, some advance payment, and the other customary rewards for our new advisor.”

“Yes, your Highness.” The person addressed bows and begins to leave the room.

“Wait, wait, wait!” Without thinking, I cry out and stop the proceedings. Instantly, everyone is staring at me and my sudden outburst. I don’t have the state of mind to mind though as I try to process what’s happening.

Making me a citizen and granting me an official title… doesn’t that mean I’m becoming the Emperor’s subordinate? Is that really okay? Is that what I want?

I look around as I consider my options. In the corner of my eye, I spot a row of guards glaring at me. There’s a tenseness about them rivalled only by how sharp their spears seem.

“Is there a problem?” The Emperor asks. For some reason, I get the feeling that he’s not actually surprised by my reaction.

Well… what should I say?

Choice!
    You have been offered the chance to become one of the Emperor’s subordinates and help him save the world. Do you accept it?

1. Accept the offer and swear your loyalty to the Emperor
    2. Decline the offer and remain independent
    3. Try to negotiate a separate but cooperative relationship as equals

References
    Emperor Yao

Source

Blog Entries
    1. Accept the offer and swear your loyalty to the Emperor

I trust the Sage-Emperor, just hope his shit son isn't here

Now Revamped!

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries

3. At this point we have no good reason to trust him in any way, and we owe him nothing so well.

Evil of Humanity Half-Blood Master's Avatar

Edit: Sorry, I had to change my vote due to very important and serious reasons I was reminded of
    Last edited by Half-Blood Master; November 10th, 2019 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux, July 20th 2019
    We gave HBM, of all people, access to a morals loosening field
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux, December 25th 2019
    Senta deserves the right to a life where she gets to choose if she's actually a Nazi
    True Rider
    A wise and beautiful woman who exudes an aura of grace. She is a sly, cunning, manipulative person who always gets what she wants, whether through trickery or ruthlessness. Her own fighting abilities are low, but she should not be trifled with. What does she ride? Men, of course!

Blog Entries

Year:

“I’m sorry, your majesty… but I don’t intend to become your subject.”

I gather the courage to say so to the Emperor. Though my hand might be shaking a bit, my resolve is firm. Well, okay maybe not rock solid, but it’s pretty hard. Like maybe as firm as a… pillow?

“I do wish to work with you to save this world, but I can not do so under your rule. I will not be able to accept every one of your orders, nor would doing so be optimal for our mission. Instead, I would like to work with you… as equals…”

It seems my courage ran out as my voice gets a bit quieter with those last few words. Even so, the moment they leave my mouth, there is an immediate change in the tension of the room. As if shifting into attack mode, the soldiers in the throne room take a single half-step forward.

“Uh oh.” Assassin comments with a terrified expression. Likewise, sweat starts running down my back.

I mentally prepare myself for the backlash; if a fight breaks out… I’ll have to fend all the soldiers off, grab Assassin, and escape this giant labyrinthine castle… shit, maybe I should’ve thought this out more.

Yet, to my surprise, the Emperor swiftly raises his hands and all the soldiers immediately step down. His expression… hasn’t changed.

“I see.” He nods. “So, you do not intend to bow to my authority?”

“No. I am my own Master.” I respond, not losing to his glare.

“Hm, hm.” He seems to contemplate something for a short moment, before nodding once more. “Very well. I shall allow it. You are a foreigner to this land, so I suppose you are already loyal to another sovereign. I do not intend to test your loyalties.”

“Phew…” I end up breathing in relief. Thank god he seems understanding.

“However.” The Emperor speaks once more, not giving me a chance to rest. “We cannot simply trust someone who is not even a citizen. If there is no bond between us, there is no reason to think you will not betray us in the near future. In that case, there is only one thing that can be done…”

“W-what is it, your majesty?” I ask timidly.

So, he can’t trust me if I’m not a citizen? Then, what does he want? Some sort of binding contract to tie us together, like a Geas? Or perhaps just some form of collateral to ensure I will not betray him. Well, whatever it is, it shouldn’t be much of a price to win this Emperor’s aid.

But, destroying my expectations once again, the Emperor commands with plain power,

“Marry my daughter.”

“… eh?”

“Ara, ara.”

Needless to say, Assassin and I are frozen in place with our jaws hitting the floor. W-w-what did he just say?

“It is simple. If we cannot be Lord and subject, we shall be family. I am willing to lend an ear to my son-in-law.” He says calmly as if it were the most natural proposal in the world.

I clutch my head. Hold on. So… he’s proposing some sort of political marriage? Is that the only way to get his approval? But that means… I have to… get married?

“Master, Master,” Assassin quickly taps on my shoulders and whispers in my ear. “You have to accept.”

“What, why? This is absurd.” I let my frustration show through my quiet scowl.

“This is another test, Master.” She informs me, much to my surprise.

“Huh? How so?”

“In legend it is said that in order to test his successor, Emperor Yao married his daughters to the future Emperor. This was in order to see if his successor was capable of maintaining family harmony while practicing filial piety at the same time. After all, a man who cannot even control a household cannot rule a country.”

“That… that sounds really convoluted.”

“Hey! It’s one of the Emperor’s most praised accomplishments and is said to be the origin of China’s Imperial Examination system.”

“That doesn’t mean it’s not stupid.”

I’m starting to think there’s something wrong with Chinese mythology.

But still, if this is just another test then I can’t really refuse, lest I fail. Even if it means, marrying a woman…

“I understand.” I say, hanging my head in resignation. “I-it would… it would be my honor to take your daughter’s hand in marriage, Emperor.”

“Good. That is well.” The Emperor affirms. Once again, he does not seem fazed by my response, as if he knew how I would react. That… kind of pisses me off.

“Then from here on, let us work together to save the world as father and son.” The Emperor decrees. “For now, you must be tired from your exam. Get some rest and we shall continue this later. I will have the princess prepared to meet you and have the marriage ceremony preparations under way. Da Yu, bring him to one of the royal quarters.”

“Yes, sir.” The person from earlier who I stopped in their tracks bows once more and motions for his to follow.

“Thank you for your audience, your majesty.” I make one last bow and leave the throne room for now.

Year: 2018

“Oh my, this is rather lavish.” Assassin comments as we enter our new abode.

“Is it? I can’t really tell without a metric to judge it by.” I note, looking around.

The living quarters given to us seemed to be in some sort of royal housing complex for high-ranking nobles of the empire. I suppose in this cramped city, not even the upper-class can afford to get their own houses. As for the quarters themselves, it was a somewhat spacious two-bedroom suite with a kitchen, study, bath, and even some sort of tea room. Frankly, my uncultured brain lacks the ability to judge just how amazing it is.

“Let’s see… considering the state of this world, I would say this is very impressive. Well, it’s certainly a step down from what I’m used to.” Assassin remarks while gracefully looking around the kitchen.

“You were… a duchess in life, right? I suppose then you’re already used to luxury. How lucky.” I muse, recalling Assassin’s legend.

Anyways, it doesn’t really matter to me what my abode is like. As long as it’s a place to safely rest and live, I have no complaints.

“Well then, if you don’t mind, I’ll be taking the side bedroom.” Assassin states before floating towards her newly claimed territory.

“Are you sure? You can have the Master Bedroom if you want. I don’t really need a big bed just for myself.” I offer, pointing to the larger, clearly more comfortable room.

“What are you talking about, Master? For yourself? That room is where you’ll be sleeping…” She responded in mild surprise before cocking a slight smirk. “With your wife.”

“Ugh, shit.” I palm my head remembering what I got myself into. Wait does this mean, I’ll have to be living with the imperial princess too from here on?

“Don’t worry, Master. I shall be as discreet as a shadow, so you two may feel free to consummate your marriage. Hohoho.” She laughs at my expense.

“Don’t tease me! Dammit. How did this happen?” I reflect on my poor situation.

Was it some choice I made? Would this not have happened if I had just become a normal official under the Emperor’s rule?

“… speaking of which, I’d like to ask you, Assassin. What do you think of the Emperor?” I inquire, curious on her typically keen observations.

“Emperor Yao? Well, I suppose he was very majestic and seemed wise and…” She stated, calling up her image of the Emperor. “…I was a little disappointed.”

“Disappointed? Why?” I ask in surprise, while thinking about that overwhelming king.

“Well, you know… Emperor Yao is incredibly legendary in China as a perfect sage-emperor. The emperor was strong and wise but… I guess I just expected… more.” Assassin says, shrugging her shoulders. “Well, I suppose the real thing never does live up to the legend. You know what they say about meeting your heroes.”

“Yeah, I suppose.” I nod along, but there’s something in the back of my head telling me to take note of that. For some reason… I feel like there’s more to meet the eye here.

“Well, let us retire for the night. You must be tired as well, so get a good night’s sleep.” Assassin waved before departing into her own room. “Well, not that you can tell it’s night without a sun.”

“Uh, yeah. Good night.” I wave her to sleep and head back into my own room.

Even as I retire for the night, there’s something weighing on my mind. I’ve met with the Emperor and established a co-operative relationship so everything should be going well… but, I can’t help but wonder if this is really ok. Can I… can I really save the world like this?

Well, there’s no use worrying about it right now. I’ll just have to try my best tomorrow, or however days work in this sunless world.

Oh, right. I almost forgot. Before I sleep, there’s still one more annoying matter to deal with.

“Thank you for coming everyone. It’s good to see you all well.”

“Hello, 'mellow. How are you all doing?”

“Gahaha, it looks like you’re all still alive!”

“… hello.”

Before me, the images of four other people pop into existence, each one more annoying than the last. These people are the other Crypters, former Masters of Chaldea who were sent to other Lostbelts to manage them. Of course, I am not seeing or hearing them in person; this is just a remote call via magecraft. We all promised to contact each other after our first days in our Lostbelts.

Though I am reluctant to call them so, these people are my peers. Each one is a capable Master tasked with their own story and adventure within a separate world.

The boisterous punk, Garou Zelus, and his Caster Servant were assigned to Skye.

The friendly female, Bianca Chrome, and her Saber Servant were assigned to Fairyland.

The pretentious gentleman, Wilhelm Friedrich, and his Rider Servant were assigned to Gälûñ’lätï.

The reserved genius, Christoph von Bueltzing, and his Berserker Servant were assigned to Eden.

And I was sent to Yao with my Assassin Servant.

All of us are responsible for our own territories, simultaneously peers and rivals…

“Wait, hold on.” I interject sharply. “Where are the other two?”

“Hmm, it seems that they did not receive the call.” Wilhelm notes. “They must be preoccupied at the moment. Well, it’s fine for now.”

“Hah, I bet Lazlow’s just fooling around. He never takes anything seriously.” Garou exclaims.

“Aren’t you the same, though, Garou?” Bianca comments and is met with the idiot’s laughter.

“Well, I can’t deny that. Hahahaha!” His stupid voice booms, grating on my ears.

“…ha ha.” Christoph quietly chuckles to himself, as if an actually funny joke was told.

“Anyways, onto the matter at hand.” Wilhelm quickly grabs hold of the meeting once more. “Although it hasn’t been too long since we saw each other, I wanted to keep in touch to make sure nothing has gone wrong. How are your Lostbelts? Is everyone doing well?”

“No problems here!” Garou responds energetically. “The place is a bit weird and gloomy, but it’s not bad. It’s SUPER stable, so it should grow well. Haven’t met the King yet, but from what I hear, I think we’re gonna be best buds real quick.”

“That’s good to hear.” Wilhelm nods along calmly. “How are things with your Servant?”

“Well, she keeps nagging me about things. Like ‘don’t rush in without thinking’ or ‘you can’t solve everything with your fists’. But other than that, we chill.”

“Well, I suppose there’s nothing to worry about then.” Wilhelm writes down a few things on a notepad before continuing. “What about you, Christoph?”

“… difficult to judge… more information required.” The quiet boy responds in a mutter.

“I see. So, the Foundation is complicated? But will you be okay?”

“… of course.” A simple response. Yet one laced with absolute confidence.

“That’s good. Well, I suppose I don’t need to worry if you’re the one handling it.” Wilhelm claims despite clearly sounding relieved. “And you, Bianca?”

“Oh, it’s absolutely great over here. Everyone’s super nice and friendly and peaceful. It really is a world without war. I met the Queen and she was just the most amazing person. Everything’s so beautiful, too. Just looking outside makes me want to grab my paintbrush. I have so much inspiration here.” She explained in her typical sweet, girlish tone.

“Oh, Ben.” She suddenly claps her hands together and looks at me. “When I’m done, I can send you some of my new paintings. I’d love to hear what you think of them. I’m sure they’ll blow your socks off, though.”

“Oho, what’s this?” Wilhelm interjects with a sly smile. “Only showing your paintings to Bengshan? That’s awfully biased of you, Bianca.”

“Ah ha! I knew it. Bianca has a crush on Bengshan! I totally called it.”

“… ha ha.”

“Oh my~ When did you two get so close.”

“Yo, Bengshan, my man. When did you become a playboy?.”

“… ha ha.”

Ughhh… I can’t help but face palm. This whole conversation is so stupid. What are they? Middle-schoolers?

By the way… Bengshan? That’s me. It’s my nickname. A while ago, someone in Chaldea, I don’t remember who, commented that I resembled a certain comedian named Bengshan, and now the nickname’s stuck. I’m actually starting to worry that people are gonna forget my real name isn’t actually Ben.

“Whaaaaat? No~ that’s not it.” Bianca denies the accusations despite giggling. “I just like showing him my art. Unlike you brutes, Ben here understands my vision. He’s cultured.”

I am? I do? That’s the first time I’ve heard so. I’m pretty sure I’ve never had an eye for art.

“Speaking of which, how are you holding up, Bengshan? To be honest, you’re the one I’m worried about most.” Wilhelm redirects the conversation, looking at me with pitying eyes.

“I’m fine. I don’t need your misplaced worry.” I bark, shrugging off his gaze.

“Are you sure, Ben?” Bianca joins in with a voice of concern. “You summoned a really weak Servant, though, right? There’s no shame in asking for help.”

“I don’t need help.” I scowl. “Everything’s fine here. My Servant and I get along, and I’ve met with the Lostbelt King and we have a working relationship already. I’m fine.”

“Well, if you say so, I won’t badger you about it. But make sure you write your reports accurately. Don’t hide anything just because you’re not doing well.” Wilhelm lectures.

“… good luck.” Tsk. Even Christoph seems worried for me.

“Anyways, I’m glad to hear that everyone’s doing fine so far.” Wilhelm begins to bring everything to a close. “Let us keep in touch and each continue doing our utmost. And may victory go to the best.”

“Yeah! Let’s do this. Y’all bring your A-game. I want a challenge. Though I’m still gonna win.” Garou brags with pomp.

“Hm, I don’t really care about winning, but it’d be a shame if this paradise died. So, I guess I’ll do my best.” Bianca states with a smile.

“… okay.” Christoph merely nods.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. See you all later.” I wave them goodbye and hastily hang up before they say anything else stupid.

After the call, I immediately plop onto my new bed and sink into it. It’s honestly not that soft, but I welcome its comfortable embrace.

As I lie down, though, I can’t help but think about the call and everything the others said… You’re the one I’m worried about most? There’s no shame in asking for help? Good luck?

Dammit, they were definitely all looking down on me. But… I can’t even complain. They all have the right to look down on a nobody like me. After all, they are all true elites worthy of being Crypters.

Garou Zelus the “Null Zero”

Bianca Chrome the “Panomorph”

Wilhelm Friedrich the “Diamond Eye”

Christoph von Bleutzing the “Last Frankenstein”

Each and every single one of them is a once-in-a-decade super genius within their respective fields. And what am I? A third-rate magus with a fourth-rate Servant. I couldn’t even use magecraft on a regular native today. Of course, they don’t take me seriously!

I grit my teeth as my anger grows. I’m not angry at them. I’m angry at myself for being so worthless. For being so weak.

What am I doing here?

What value do I have?

Why was I brought back to life!?

Choice!
    You are a third-rate Magus with a fourth-rate Servant. Yet, surely there is a reason that you were chosen to be a Master of Chaldea and a Crypter. You aren't just a talentless hack... are you?

Please choose one of the following to be your ability:

World Shifter
    Although you are a shitty magus, you were chosen to be a Master Candidate due to your special rayshift potential. Now, this talent has manifested as the special ability to shift between Lostbelts. You are thus able to teleport back and forth between your and the other Lostbelts. Also, you have a limited capacity to bring other objects or people with you when you shift.

Grand Master
    Although you are a shitty magus, you were chosen to be a Master Candidate due to your special potential for summoning Servants. Now, this talent has manifested as the special ability to summon and supply multiple Servants for the price of one. You immediately get to summon one more Servant and may get the chance to summon more later on.

Extra Sensory Perception
    Although you are a shitty magus, you were chosen to be a Master Candidate due to your latent psychic power. Now, this talent has awoken as a unique Esper ability separate from your magecraft. What Esper power you will get is unknown. Also, it may affect/unstabilize your character’s personality.

True Underdog
    You are just a shitty magus. You were not chosen for any special purpose. You suck.

References
    Garou
    Bianca
    Wilhelm
    Christoph

Sources:
    Garou
    Bianca

Blog Entries
    Extra Sensory Perception

ESPs needs more love

Now Revamped!

Extra Sensory Perception
    Senta deserves the right to a life where she gets to choose if she's actually a Nazi
    True Rider
    A wise and beautiful woman who exudes an aura of grace. She is a sly, cunning, manipulative person who always gets what she wants, whether through trickery or ruthlessness. Her own fighting abilities are low, but she should not be trifled with. What does she ride? Men, of course!

Extra Sensory Perception. I'm a sucker for that stuff and I'm regretful that it isn't used more in today Nasuverse, so sign me up for that option. *nod nod*

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Extra Sensory Perception

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    SKYE—ohhhh… I'm a week too late…
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    Better late than never, buddy

Blog Entries

Year:

“I want another Servant.” I declare so with utmost seriousness.

“You’re cheating on me already? Am I not good enough for you, Master?” Assassin cries dramatically with fake tears in her eyes.

“Don’t make it sound like adultery! I mean I want more firepower on our team.” I chastise her silliness and wolf down a bit more of the food in front of me.

It was the next day after I woke up from my sleep. Well, having absolutely no metric for day and night, I of course had no idea how long I slept and whether or not it actually constituted as the next day; I’m just saying so because it feels that way. We immediately went back to the castle to see the Emperor but were rejected at the door. It seems that he’s busy with administrative matters, so we’ll have to wait until he calls for us. They also mentioned that the princess wasn’t ready to see me, whatever that means. I don’t really care about her. Anyways, we had been provided a small sum of money to live on and some native clothes to keep ourselves inconspicuous, so Assassin and I decided to do our own thing and were now having a meal at some sort of cafeteria-like establishment to fill our stomachs for the first time since we got here. Breakfast/Lunch for the day was some sort of cold noodle dish with a soy-like sauce.

“Listen, Assassin. Neither of us are good at fighting, right?” I pause from the meal to speak clearly. “Right now, we’re in a separate but cooperative relationship with the Emperor as equals, but that means nothing if he can strong-arm us into doing whatever he wants whenever he wants. If he really wanted to, his guards could’ve easily killed us or captured us yesterday back at the throne room. That’s why I want another Servant-level fighter on our side to even the playing field.”

“But how will we do that? You can’t summon another Servant, can you?” Assassin asks while her chopsticks hung gracefully between her lips.

“No, I can’t. I wouldn’t have the magical energy to supply one even if I could.” I state, lamenting my own weakness. “But according to Wilhelm’s analysis report, the Lostbelt’s texture overwrite shouldn’t be complete yet for another few months, which means the Human Order is still partially functional. If so, there’s a high chance of independent Heroic Spirits being summoned into the Lostbelt.”

“Hm, I’m not really familiar with such matters, but if the Human Order is summoning them, wouldn’t they be trying to destroy the Lostbelt? Aren’t they the enemy? How are you going to make them join our side?” Assassin argued. I’m glad that she’s taking this seriously and listening earnestly.

“It’d be difficult, but as long as communication is possible, I think they can be convinced. It’s all a matter of diplomacy.” I proclaim with confidence.

“Oh, yes, and that’s definitely your specialty.” Assassin mutters with a tone dripping with sarcasm.

“I’m gonna pretend I didn’t hear that one.” I close my eyes to her backhandedness.

Gosh, I hope my next Servant isn’t as witty. A powerful, quiet and obedient Servant… yeah, that’d be nice. And I’d like it to be a guy too.

“Talking about it is good and all, Master, but how do you plan to find another Servant?” Assassin asks earnestly.

“Well, that’s the real question isn’t it… Even if there are Servants walking around in theory, there’s no easy way to find them. Heck, I don’t even know how big this dumb empire is.” I grumble to myself. There’s still a lot I need to learn about the lostbelt.

“Oh, it seems to be about the same size as China was during the Qin Dynasty. Similar shape too. So, I’d estimate about 2 million square kilometers for each level.” Assassin nonchalantly informs me.

“Oh, is that so? Well, that’s good to kno- Wait, how the hell do you know that?” I snap my attention back to the vulgar woman casually slurping noodles in an erotic fashion.

“Huh? Research.” She stated without even blinking.

“R-research? When? We just got here.”

“When you were asleep. Servants don’t need to sleep, and you weren’t doing anything, so I went to collect info by myself. I talked to a few natives and then went to the public library. It was really nice too, open 24/7 and everything. Anyways, I found some history and geography books and just spent the night reading. Oh, I guess it wasn’t really night, huh.”

“…”

I was speechless. She did all that without me ordering her to? Could it be… could it be that this useless, fourth-rate Servant is actually helpful?

“… I’m glad I summoned you, Assassin.” I reveal my newfound admiration.

“Eh? Ah, well, if you say it like that, it makes me happy I guess…” Her cheeks turn a little red in response. Honestly, it’s surprisingly cute for a shameless woman like her.

Affection up!
    You now appreciate Assassin’s help.

“Anyways, here’s what I learned. There was more than 4,000 years of recorded history, but in all of them there has only ever been one ruler: the current Emperor.” She begins to summarize her findings.

“Hm, that lines up with the idea that he’s the actual Emperor Yao from legend.” I nod along as she speaks.

It seems that that confirms he is in fact the legendary Emperor Yao… but then the question becomes how he has lived for 4,000 years. I might need to look into that.

“I also checked the national census and found that, as of the last survey, there are several hundred million people recorded to be living here.”

“Hundre- that’s insane! There can’t be that many people. There isn’t enough space.” I can’t help but exclaim at the absurd number.

I know that there are over 1 billion people in the China of the Greater History, but the territory of this Lostbelt is much smaller. Even when you consider how cramped everything is, there isn’t nearly enough space.

“Not on the surface. But that’s where this Empire seems to differ.” Assassin states before suddenly pointing her chopsticks downwards. “They’re underground.”

“… underground?” I instinctively look beneath my feet. Naturally, there’s nothing there but normal floor, but I get an ominous feeling. Are there really people living under the ground I’m standing on?

At that moment, I recall what Yingying said to me. Lower levels… that’s what she said. Did she think that Assassin and I were from underground?

“Right now, we’re on the surface level and it seems like there are at least four other levels beneath us. Each one has its own assortment of cities and people in them, but they’re all ruled by the Emperor. Apparently, travel between the different levels isn’t a typical occurrence either.”

“Hold on, hold on.” I interrupt her swiftly. “That doesn’t seem right. Why would they build cities underground? If they wanted to expand, wouldn’t they just… ya know? Move horizontally, not vertically. Are there other nations in the way?”

“No, it doesn’t seem like it. There aren’t any records of other nations or of war with invaders in the history books. I… I think this empire is the only thing left on this world.” She says with a bit of trepidation.

I can understand her hesitation. Just thinking that everyone in the world is gone except one nation is horrifying. But this isn’t the time to be scared. Something’s not adding up then. There’s all this unoccupied land and there are all these people, but they only dig downwards? Why? Who would even come up with the idea of underground cities?

No, that’s a dumb question. There can only be one person who is responsible for this. The one who’s been leading this country for 4,000 years: Emperor Yao.

“By the way, Assassin, can I ask you a question?” I suddenly ask.

We finished our meal and were now just walking around the city to kill time but also get another feel for the area with our newfound knowledge.

“Of course, Master. I’m always happy to speak with you.” She responded sincerely.

“You said that this whole marriage thing was a test, right? So… what’s the correct answer? What am I supposed to do?” I ponder, while thinking about my new fiancée whom I’ve yet to meet. “I… I’m not really experienced in this kind of stuff. In fact, I’ve never even really thought about marriage before. So… I don’t know what is expected of me.”

“Hmmm…” Assassin raises her fan to her face, covering her mouth. In the day I’ve known her, I’ve learnt that that’s a sign that she’s thinking. “Well, in the legend, the goal of the marriage test was to see if the future emperor could maintain family harmony. So, I guess… you just have to treat your wife well?”

“How do I do that?” I ask with a firm, serious tone. “Am I just supposed to be nice to her? Or do I have to do whatever she says? Or dedicate all my time to her? I don’t get it.”

“Hmm, you’ve really never been in a relationship before have you…” Assassin remarks with a curious expression.

“No, of course not. I don’t have time for stupid stuff like that.” I shake my head at the very thought. “I’m a magus. I can’t allow myself to be distracted by trivial matters.”

“Oh, is that so?” Assassin says in a musing tone. “I don’t really understand magi matters but let me ask you then. Did you plan to never get married?”

“N-no. It’s a magus’s duty to produce a successor.” I state with a little hesitation.

“Then, aren’t you contradicting yourself?” She proclaimed, pointing her fan at me. “You say relationships are trivial, but, in the end, you still have to get married to have a child.”

“I-I…”

I’m at a loss for words.

“It’s the same for non-magi as well. In many ways, the pleasures of love and lust might be considered distractions, evil temptations of the world. Staying away from them and secluding yourself to maximize your productivity may seem like a good idea on paper. But at the same time, humans cannot live alone. We must love and we must reproduce. That is the truth of the world.”

Assassin is now speaking with absolute conviction. Her words come not only from her heart but from personal experience as well. It is the wisdom from one who lived a full life many, many years ago.

“That is probably why the Emperor chose this format as a test of one’s leadership. The household is no different than a microcosm of the world. A household cannot survive without love. But it can also not survive if money is not brought back home from work. You must work and you must love if you wish to live. That is the way of a family… and that is the way of a country. If you truly wish to lead this world to salvation, you must learn how to work with its citizens without losing sight of your mission. You can’t dedicate all your time to one thing; you must achieve harmony. You must love the world but also let it love you. Only then can you be a hero.”

Her words hit me hard. I have trouble finding a way to respond. It was like I was seeing a completely different side to Assassin, one completely removed from the slut who walked around exposing her cleavage to the world. Despite all that, she really is—

“Basically, what I’m saying is that ya gotta go and spike a baby up in there, k? Make love to her every night and you’ll be good.”

“And there it goes. You ruined it.”

I immediately drop my shoulders and sigh heavily.

“Eh? What’s wrong? Did I say something bad? Why are you looking so disappointed?” She asks with wide-eyes, not realizing her mistake.

“No, it’s nothing. I’m just chastising myself for even taking you seriously for a moment…” I mutter to myself, but she manages to hear it.

“Ehhhh? You don’t take me seriously?” She cries.

In the end, Assassin is still Assassin. The same vulgar seductress as always.

But no… her words truly resonated with me. I think I have a better idea of what I need to do now. I won’t say it out loud, but I suppose I’m truly thankful to her.

Wise-up! Assasin's Status
    Affection up!
    You now respect Assassin.

Afterwards, Assassin and I continue just taking a walk around the city, wasting the endless day away. We don’t actually learn much new information, but we enjoy ourselves nonetheless. Just walking around, struggling with the assembly line traffic, chatting, sampling the exotic native cuisine, gawking at the strange sights… In the entire city, we were probably the only ones laughing and having a good time.

After what feels like a full day, a soldier finds us and informs us that the Emperor is now ready to see us. And so, our little off-day comes to a close and we return to our mission. Yet, just from today alone, I feel like I’ve fulfilled my desire to get to know Assassin better…

“You wanted to see me, your majesty?” I ask when I arrive and see the Emperor.

This time, we were not in the throne room but in another, smaller waiting room. There, I find the Emperor standing idly and reading some sort of book. This more casual atmosphere seems to accentuate his already gentle disposition as opposed to the suffocating presence he had in the throne room.

“Ah, yes. Good of you to come.” He responds promptly upon noticing our arrival. “There isn’t much I wished to discuss. Instead, I wanted to introduce you to my daughter, at last.”

“Ah, I see…” That’s all I can get out as I’m at a loss of ways to respond. I knew this would happen eventually, but I still don’t feel mentally prepared.

“Oh? What’s wrong? Nervous?” He seems to notice my trepidation.

In an unexpected turn of events, the Emperor suddenly scoots closer to me and wraps his arm around my shoulder. It’s so out of the blue that I reflexively jump at the motion.

“Now, now, there’s no need to be afraid. We’re family now, so let us be frank with each other.” He states with a voice more refreshing than an autumn breeze. “The princess will be here shortly, so just relax.”

So, he says, but in many ways, that just makes me more tense. Ara? Who is this man? Is this truly the same Emperor I encountered yesterday? Even if he tells me to be frank, I just can’t bring it out of me to be chill in front of the Emperor. Heck, even if he wasn’t the almighty 4,000-year-old sovereign, just the fact that he’s my new father-in-law kind of scares me.

“By the way,” He continues, ignoring my obvious internal turmoil. “I’ve already arranged for her to be living with you from now on, so make sure you take gooood care of her tonight.”

“U-uh, okay.” I timidly respond to his suggestive sentence.

“Oh, but don’t do anything I wouldn’t approve of.”

“Ehh!?”

What does that mean!? I don’t get it. What are the boundaries and what are the expectations? This doesn’t make sense.

Assassin. Help me!

“Hm… I feel like things will get complicated if the princess sees me immediately, so I’m going to go into spirit form and watch.” She states before quickly vanishing.

Dammit! No, don’t abandon me, you useless Servant.

“The princess has arrived!” A voice from outside the door announces.

Ahhhhh!!! She’s here!

Shit, I’m totally not mentally prepared now. I’m actually worse than I was when I came in here.

What do I do? How should I act? What do I say?

No, calm down, you fool! Remember your mental preparations. Recall what Assassin told you. Achieve harmony. Love and be loved. Other inspirational words. You can do this. You got this.

You are the man who will save this world!

“Hah…” I take a deep breath, calm my nerves, and step forward. Now, I am ready to face this challenged, no matter what it may be.

At that moment, the voice from beyond the door calls out again and—

“Announcing Princess Yingying!”

“Eh?”

—the door opens.

From it, a beautiful woman steps into the room. Clad in a flowing red silk dress, she is a truly traditional Chinese beauty with porcelain skin and black hair. Standing like a peony, walking like a lily, such traditional virtues are exemplified in her every graceful movement.

And she looks super familiar.

“Ah.”

“Ah.”

We both gasp as we recognize each other.

The woman before my eyes is none other than the swordswoman who I met when I first arrived here, Yingying.

And now, she is my new wife.

Choice!
    At last, you have met your new wife. Your relationship with her is your second test on your path to saving the world. How should you treat her?

1. Be polite and respectful. You still don’t know her very well, and there’s a good chance of your awkward cheery boy tendencies causing irreparable damage to the relationship, leading to dissonance. Play it safe and treat her like the princess she literally is.

2. Be friendly and casual. First and foremost, just try to get along with her and get to know her better. There’s no need to let titles like ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ dictate the bounds of your relationship. Just because she’s your wife doesn’t mean you can’t be friends too.

3. Be cold and detached. You don’t have time or attention to deal with her. Just brush her aside and focus on saving the world. Besides, girls love cool guys… right?

4. Get to know her in the biblical sense. [Will lead straight to a NSFW scene]

5. Write-In

2. Be friendly and casual, mostly because I don't see Lostbelt-kun as being able to pull either a respectful or cool attitude. So better for him to just try to... wing it and be as casual as he can ?

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries

True Rider

Blog Entries

Now Revamped!