Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Closure [IC Thread]

Interlude - Stray Cats (I)

"..."

The woman walks into a neighborhood she is not too familiar with. It's a dangerous area which serves as a gathering spot for a good number of well-known criminals. It's one of its policies not to be friendly with outsiders and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to claim that asking for a smoke could get one killed on the spot. However, for the woman, there is little to worry about. After all...

---She comes from a much more menacing and treacherous place.

In the dark and cold of the night, attention is naturally drawn towards her. The hood that conceals her identity does little to hide her gender, as strands of hair of a strong marmalade color, too divine to belong to a man, descend just enough to caress her shoulders. Her attire is not particularly elegant, she is dressed much like a rogue of medieval fantasy, however, its integrity is an undeniable luxury around these parts.

"Sorry, the boss isn't here right now."
    The grunt with Chinese features says with an apologetic smile, as he physically blocks the entrance to the somewhat large compound. "But I'll tell him you came."

His body is covered in ominous tattoos and the strong smell of his sweat follows him everywhere he goes. His smile slowly transforms into a fully-fledged smirk, confirming her suspicions that he's just toying with her.

Now, she could simply smash her hand into his ugly nose and rid herself of an obstacle, but...

Instead, the woman casually turns around, takes a few steps and then waves goodbye, not willing to push the issue any further. She prefers to avoid a fight, not because she isn't strong, but because she is well-disciplined. She's not a warrior, but a leader. She's not here to draw blood, but to talk business.

That said, one should never underestimate the other party.

A group that can be self-sufficient and endure the test of time already knows how to take care of loose ends and can identify trouble when they first see it. The moment she walks far enough, the grunt exchanges glances with other four patrolling the neighboring roofs and the hunting game begins. They follow the woman into a dark alleyway and, the moment she least expects it...

They ambush her, a swing from their metal bat coming straight for her head from her blind spot...!

"... Huh?"

At that moment, the distinction between them is made very clear.

Which of them is more surprised?

Is it the grunt who trembles at the sight of his weapon not being effective at all?

Or is it the woman, who did not expect such insignificant insects to be foolish enough to attack her?

Something in her gaze changes. She might not be hurt, but she isn't immune to pain, either. As her primal instincts stir from their slumber, self-control is tossed at the back of her mind.

"Guahh--?! Ahh...!!!"

Her movements are absurdly fast. The victim does not even see a blur... He only realizes he's been hit once he is halfway through the air and a surge of pain shoots through his stomach. Half a second later, his back crashes against one of the sidewalls, leaving a mark on its burnt clay bricks.

The other grunts are shocked, but not enough to miss an opportunity to close in. One makes a straightforward attack with a sharp tool, while the other nimbly moves past their opponent. The woman skillfully catches the blade between her hands, but immediately finds herself in a bind when the enemy wraps a metal chain tightly across her neck.

Or that's how it would have been, if the thing they are fighting were not a monster under the guise of a human.

One kick is enough to rid herself of the one in front of her. With his ribs crushed, he's out of this fight.

One hand is enough to release the grip on her neck, lifting the other man off the ground with sheer physical might. The moment his head touches the pavement, his chances of a participating in a second exchange are gone with the wind.

What on Earth just happened? It might have been a rather complex sequence but to the remaining grunts it all must have felt like it lasted no more than an instant. Scared to even move, they bear weakness to the only injury that the woman has sustained, if it can be called such.

"That is..."

Make no mistake, they've never seen her face before. Not in person, at the very least.

But they've seen those facial features. They've heard of what she has achieved the past decade.

Oh yes, they do know who she is.

She is a legend.

"The leader of the Stray cats...!!!"

-------

Several hours later. Stray Cats headquarters. Captain's chamber.

Hiyako Tsurara stares herself at the mirror or, at least, the closest thing there is to one in the Dark World. It's been who knows how long, ten, fifteen, maybe even twenty years since she arrived, and her body still shows no signs of aging. It's not just herself, the other survivors suffer from this as well, everyone looks as young as the day you met them.

Time works in strange ways over here...

For example, though there are irregular day and night cycles, their mere existence alongside the memories of the events that have transpired since your arrival all prove the existence of the passing of time. Yet, at the same time, your body still looks like that of a teenager.

There are still many things you do not know...

Amongst them is the question of how exactly you are still alive...

When you first came, you accepted that being trapped here was pretty much a guaranteed death. But here you are, decades later, struggling every day to extend the lifespan of your group. It's been long since you've seen someone new... Rumor is that the Dark World is no longer accessible from the outside. But, while the Stray Cats have made a name for themselves, they are too young to have access to the sheer amount of information that other veteran companies such as the Dwellers or the Neo-Salvanists do.

"How did it go with the Hidden Dragons, boss?"

Tachibana Mayumi, former leader of the Stray Cats, carelessly walks into your room without knocking. Well, not like there is an actual door anyways. During your first day in the Dark World, you ran into a group that had her as one of its members and, since then, you've been surviving together ever since. You've seen many people die and many more walk away to never return...

As for the students you originally came after...

You've briefly crossed paths with a few, but circumstances always made it hard for them to stick around for long.

In any case, Tachibana is a skilled in both marksmanship and hand to hand combat but her fighting prowess is barely above that of an average human fighter. There are many powerful monsters around that she stands no chance against. That's why she stepped down of her role and let the real powerhouse lead the team. That said, she is always willing to give you advice, should you ever ask for it.

"Did you get what you went there for?"

Last edited by hero; April 19th, 2021 at 09:34 AM.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Yamashita Hiro (& Assassin of the Distant Kingdom)
    Fuyuki's Underground Servers- ???'s Secret Laboratory
    Morning Phase

"..."

Listening to Hiro and... Cluase More speak, Luna has to pause for a moment and reflect on everything she has learned over the past few days in order to even have a chance to understand what is going on. The topics themselves are not what draw her attention -although they do feel quite bizarre- but rather the way the two of them interact. The cat-like Servant does not act like a servant would at all, if anything, it sounds like she is on an equal or perhaps even higher level than her Master, Hiro, is. While this brings her some relief in the sense that she wouldn't like to have someone unwillingly working with them, the implications behind their threats is not to her liking. Perhaps this is a common way to settle differences in the world of the arcane, but where she comes from, this sort of behavior is unacceptable. That is why, silently enduring all she has to endure to reach up to this point, she ultimately voices her thoughts with a little more passion than intended.

"NO fighting!"

In response to her slightly childish outburst, a line of water rises high enough that, for a moment, the territory of the spring is effectively split in two. Naturally, some splashing collateral damage reaches those close by, Hiro taking the brunt of the damage. Clause, who seemingly managed to avoid the attack by retreating upwards, finds that a few drops reach her as well.

"Umm..."
    After a brief moment of silence, Luna's pitch falls dramatically. "I am still not sure what's the main goal here... But it requires team effort, right? And a working team that cannot leave their disputes behind when doing their job is not a professional one. If you are both eager to compete for leadership, then prove that you are ready to fill that role while on the line of duty! Not beforehand...!"

To emphasize these last words, she slams a closed fist into the water, creating another attack, one that this time would hit herself as well...

And then...

"Also I am a married woman!"
    She yells as an afterthought, slightly bothered by Clause's earlier words. "I think..."

Finally done, Luna retreats once more, concealing the lower part of her face under the spring waters. That acts as a cue for Hassan to begin his turn.

"That machine is my Master and I beg to disagree."
    Mask said, calmly facing the other Assassin in the group. "Think whatever things you want about its shape, bottom line is: It's not a human and that works perfectly for me."

Though it is nothing but a comment, you sense a deeper meaning behind those words. Or rather, what you feel is how well-picked and emotionally charged his words are. It's like, at that moment, Mask might have wanted to vent in a similar way to Luna, or Hiro before that, but instead concealed that desire under a powerful veil of patience and self-control.

"As for repairs, that won't be necessary. I seriously doubt that you or your peers have anything to offer in the field of robotics, and even if one of you did, I would never trust you with something so delicate. This is my lifeline we're talking about."

Slightly uncomfortable with the cat-like Servant so close, Hassan proceeds to move away a couple of meters to the side. It's an instinctive action born less from cowardice and more from a personal dislike of someone infringing his personal space.

"Besides, my talents do not limit themselves to the art of assassination. I have a particular affinity for building and breaking things... This might be a little too advanced, perhaps too advanced for the current era, but I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out."

... Looking at it directly is still difficult. Perhaps creating an image of something it isn't is the way your brain has to protect you.

"Obviously, it would help if I knew the password..."

Then, as if to elaborate on that point, the hanging machine descends, but not enough to submerge itself in the spring waters. You have the feeling that neither liquid nor gas can affect this thing anyways...

Oh, there are actually a couple of monitor screens on the side. You must have missed them since you did not want to stare at it so much. One of them is pitch black, with the exception of white and blue box that demands a password. It also has a hint... It reads: 'The common enemy in all stories.'. The remaining one contains a list called 'Daily Objectives'.

"It's a little bit of a shot in the dark."
    Mask comments, unsure of whether he should believe his own words. "But I think my Master has the means to predict the future to some extent. It sounds likely that its objective is to prevent something bad from happening. Since it ordered me to aid you, I can't imagine other reason than it being the scenario with the best odds of success. Or not... Since we're clearly lacking offensive power. I thought the boy would summon an Archer or something... In any case, they may be no more than a big pain in the ass to follow, but since we've got no idea of what is going on, it's a lead."

Ultimately, he can't force any of you to continue down this path.

Though it would probably complicate things, he isn't in a real position of power. Anyone can get down this ride at any time they want to.

"As cryptic as they can be sometimes."

To do List
    *FGBC PPP. 21:45 (1,5)

[18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

Blog Entries
    Morning Phase

...It was easier sometimes for the young boy to blame everything negative he experienced on the Jungle spirit. That wild and free creature who laughed at everything kind and consumed love to give strength. Therefor, normally it was easier to blame the fire demon when people started getting noisy and he got a splitting headache.

But the great beast was asleep, and there said headache came, right in the temples.

Maybe it was Hiro himself who didn’t like loud things.

A woman married to another, dubbed his mate.

A cowardly and selfish man, talking pridefully and defensively about his master.

That which was called his Servant, enemy ruler and disloyal cat.

Well, only one of these three would listen to good advice soooo?

“Peace, Luna. Tell a cat not to do something, and she will just want to do it more. Show weakness to teasing, and you will just give her something to play with. And I am sorry to say...”

Hiro tiredly moved away a slick strand of his long black hair drifting in front of his eyes to the bun behind his head. “Well, this is not me and the venerable king of cats fighting. If anything, it’s probably the closest thing to us getting along. Assume we are in good shape until blood starts spilling, at any rate. Certainly she and I get along better then she does her ancient rival, but if you have ever had a cat well you probably know...”

Hiro shrugged ruefully. “It’s usually about being the human your cat is most willing to tolerate and is therefor slightly less deserving of scorn and hatred then all other known humans, and therefor the cat in question deigns to honor you by being willing to eat the food you give it. In this rather protracted metaphor refers to my magical energy reservoir she is currently wolfing down greedily.”

That was the best Hiro could do to sooth his magical pupil.

As for his wayward, in name only Servant? That answer was much simpler.

“Perish the the thought, king Clause. Your humble subject stands before you. But don’t expect me to be boring. I doubt you would accept a subject who was, after all.”

There was some subtext there. A point of thought that stemmed more from his female side, sleeping as she was. The king wondered where was the child who had offered loyalty? Well, the answer to that was simple.

Take something from a cat, and you will get clawed. Cats protected what was theirs. Just as Hiro couldn’t control her Servant, just as the God had little control over her followers, so true was it that the King’s subjects were not. That was the dichotomy of the Cat King. Her Authority was over that which brooked no authority. Mastery over the masterless. It was therefor only by rejecting her rule that her subjects proved themselves ruled by her in the first place.

...Or to out that another way, as the fire demon roused itself to lazily growl in Hiro’s mind, suck it, Old King Cat!

At any rate, the last thing to address was “Ryuji.” Or rather, his master.

When Luna had rose blindly out of the pool, Hiro had gotten more then an eyeful. He had enough composure as to keep his nose from bleeding, but he worried about exiting the onsen as it hid some more physiological reactions that still occurred even in a female body when presented with an unexpected look at an attractive person.

Partly to deflect from such, as two of the three people in the room were skilled in evaluations prey’s nonverbal cues, and partly to address an interesting mystery, the last thing to consider was the strange computer.

”This device is unknown to me. When you talk of observing the future, I am reminded of a strange rumor I encountered during my studies of the grail war, rumors of a strange computer which recreated battles of servants using digital projections. I know not the veracity of such. Unfortunately this means i have little to offer that you do not know, Ryuji. If I cannot inform, then I ask you do so instead. This cypher it is using, this code, is it the same as when it told you to seek me out? I ask because there appears to be a localized time and quadrant listed here. If you used a similar time and place mechanic to find me, I ask you show us the map you used that we might consider 1,5 and what might occur at the listed time of 21:45.”

When Hiro himself rose from the onsen, moving closer to the computer, it was with a bitter sigh and understated but obvious feeling of self-sacrifice as the soothing waters attempted to seduce him to return to blessed heat and relaxation. For raiment, the Wrap sufficed, sparking into sight as it rewound itself around his breasts and mergers. Mummy like, but enough for modesty’s sake.

The cypher reminded him of a game he and his maid’s used to play. He stated at it for several moments in silent reflection. Two thoughts came to him.

Where it asked for a password, he typed in "enaqbz punapr" and "gur haxabja", though not messaging in that order. He suspected these were probably not correct, since he only had assasssin’s vague description of the device as a starting point but...

Well, when a cat sees a closed door, it tends to stick its hand underneath.

While he waited for a response...

”Ryuji. Clause. Luna, have any of you ever heard of either CCC or RRR? And I suspect CCC is the one more worthy of our attention.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Assassin of the Distant Kingdom
    Morning Phase

While down below the beleaguered Hiro tries to explain away Luna's poor mood, up above an entirely different game is being played.

The masked Assassin retreats until his personal space is once more intact, preferring to be left alone. The catlike Servant who now calls herself Cluase does not pursue him, nor does she show any reaction to his behaviour. She is more focused now on the golden 'Master', and Luna. Her wide, unblinking stare is turned upon the woman and the object in turn. She does recoil somewhat, startled by Luna's outburst, but is is an expression of surprise rather than fear. Or perhaps to a cat, who is naturally skittish, such things are one and the same. Moments later she is silent, clinging to the ceiling, tail swishing to and fro, and...

She is closer.

The masked Assassin's senses tell him clearly that at some point the distance between them became smaller, just the tiniest bit. So he instinctively shifts away and returns his attention to the cryptic lead. Cluase, meanwhile, hums to herself as she stares, unblinking at the displays below. She shows no signs of having just moved. If anything, she is more interested in the humans below.

"Loud and messy. What silly creatures, humans are," she grumbles to herself. "But it is as good a time as any to be off. Bannik, thy contract has been justly honoured. You are dismissed. As reward I absolve thee of the scaldings of all non-Christians who entered thy bathhouses within despot Stefan the Tall's territory, on the sixth through tenth full moons of his rule. Accidents they shall be now and forever, and for a year and a day you shall not be obligated to heed my call."

The steam floating above the water shifts slightly. Within it can be seen the silhouette of a small old man, back bent and beard long. The man in the steam bows and dissipates, and with that the warmth of the bath also begins to fade. Soon it will be naught but an ordinary room again, and-.

She is closer again.

He is certain of it. He only glanced at the figure, and Cluase is suddenly within his personal space, tail flicking to and fro mischievously even as her expression remains set in stone. Is she... just following her instincts? The instinct to approach something that withdraws?

"Well, well. See how impetuous my subject is? Far less agreeable than that metal Master you serve. Far less dull, too. Were he to address me with cryptic clues and nonsense symbols, I would have slit his throat and gone searching for a more suitable one, precognition or no."

The line between insult and bragging is razor thin, here. Perhaps Hiro had been on point when he said this was them 'getting along', for Cluase shows no disapproval.

Also, she's closer again. Uncomfortably close. Almost as if it's a direct challenge. Stay and she will approach. Run away and she will pursue. Just like last night's game of tag. Or perhaps a game of cat and mouse? Just as she's getting close enough to earn a bladed warning, the Servant stops at the boundary. Turns her attention to the ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro
    ”Ryuji. Clause. Luna, have any of you ever heard of either CCC or RRR? And I suspect CCC is the one more worthy of our attention.”
    "Letters are naught but symbols, subject. If what they symbolize is unknown to me, as is the case here, then it must not be worth knowing."

Her yowled reply proclaims a dull boredom with the topic.

"That time you speak of is during the evening. There is all day to decipher those 'coordinates' of yours. You've your avenues to slake curiosity's thirst, and I've mine, so I shall be off now, with or without you. The underground is tiring, the air here is dull and stagnant, and our battlefield and its corners and chasms must be surveyed first-hand." She glances at the other Servant. "Well, Mask? If you've nothing better to do - and judging by this order, you do not - I've no qualms with continuing our bout from yesterday. This city would serve as a fine field for it, no?"

Her eyes glow yellow amidst the vanishing steam.

"Perhaps then you'll rethink what you said about us 'lacking offensive power'."
    Last edited by Bloble; April 25th, 2021 at 06:02 PM.

Alicia Rosenkopf
    Miyama- Sleeping Bishop
    Morning Phase

"Oh no..."

"Lady Takane..."

It's almost at the middle of your suggestion that the expression on Yuuna and Akane's faces begins to grow considerably more grim, leaving you wondering if by speaking up you've stepped past a boundary one should never cross. For you, it was only a way to contribute to an already mobilized strategy meeting, but ultimately, it ends up being a lot more than that. The owner and the maid clearly know something you do not, and that doesn't go unnoticed to Tomomi or Assassin, either. And that makes an awful lot of sense, actually. Tomomi, Taichi, your Servant and you yourself are all pretty much newcomers to Fuyuki City. Yuuna and Akane, on the other hand, have lived here for quite some time. Hell, if vampires are anything like the ones you've seen on T.V., then it wouldn't be strange to think that at least one of them might have lived more than a single human lifespan.

"And you said... This meeting took place at Homurahara Academy...?"

For Akane everything begins to fall into place. All she needed was that little piece of the puzzle that you held. Clinging on to the hope of making some progress, you once more go over everything that happened at the School District the previous day. Everything from the moment you walked past the rusty gates of Homurahara to the moment M made her departure. This allows Akane to confirm her suspicions.

"For many years, Fuyuki has been the designated location of a grand ritual known as the Holy Grail War. Every sixty years or so, this relic would arrange the summoning of seven spirits from ages past, using seven Magi as their anchors. The participants would fight each other to the death, and the cup would be filled with each victory. With six spirits gone, the winners would be allowed a single wish. But that was not the original purpose of the ritual. Mages created it with the intent of reaching the root, the beginning of all things, that which turns anyone who touches it into a godlike existence. To do that... Magi would go as far as to sacrifice their companion as well."

The traditional Holy Grail War.

This would have been Assassin's original purpose.

"So focused were the Magi on their goal that, through the years, they fought to find new ways to reach it, even if that meant violating the fundamental foundation that was set to reach it in the first place. Centuries ago, four individuals tried to use the Fuyuki Holy Grail system as a backdoor to reach the grail by creating an 'Imaginary Numbers Space' that would serve as a bridge between Fuyuki and the Root. However, this 'suspended false reality' collapsed and whatever was in-between got corrupted by the element that should never have been there in the first place."

Their experiment failed and caused many troubles to the city's population. But, because mystery was more alive a century ago than it is now, the incident was resolved before it could extend past its borders.

"Around sixth months after the Fifth Holy Grail War -after which the Grail was supposedly dismantled-, a group of students accidentally recreated the ritual, undoing the seal that was restraining it since ages past. Yes, that was the work of the Homurahara's Occult Club. I don't know much of it myself, but Tohsaka Rin, actual heir at the time, had to use a family relic to scatter this Imaginary Space across parallel universes to even find a slim chance to seal it again. Besides their participation in the dismantling of the Grail, it's the one other major happening that can be attributed to them in the past two decades."

It's almost too much to digest.

Violent wars treated as tradition, ominous rituals that lead to strange places and even parallel universes!

"... And now it's back and stronger than ever, huh?"

Is Tomomi's conclusion, after putting everything together.
    Last edited by hero; April 26th, 2021 at 09:34 AM.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alicia Rosenkopf
    Miyama- Sleeping Bishop
    Morning Phase

"A Holy Grail War, that's the same thing Assassin explained to me the first morning after I summoned her," Alicia said once she'd managed to mostly take in the new revelations Akane had dropped. "A battle royale of legendary heroes where the winner gets their wish granted. But you said its original purpose was to reach some 'origin of everything' and become God?" It sounded crazy just saying that, as Alicia struggled to get out the words. "I never would've imagined something like that..."

"So..." she trailed off, confronted by the foreboding tension that had suddenly taken root in the room. "You said that this Tohsaka person used a relic to seal away the... evil other dimension or whatever back then, right? Is it possible that we can find it again and repeat that feat?"

It was maybe a forlorn hope, but the best option Alicia had right now to push back against the oppressive atmosphere.

Aya Alayana
    Location Unknown
    Morning Phase

"..."

Still halfway through the bridge that divides mind and matter, a part of you begins to become partly aware of the current situation through the most basic senses your body is equipped with. The air you breathe feels fresh and pleasant, quite unlike the one you've grown accustomed to, making the idea of waking up from your nap somewhat unappealing. The symphony of the wild and the soft surface you are resting over complete the imagery of where you are without having to open your eyes. Ah, yes. You've been here before, a place long since abandoned, yet vast and rich for many different reasons. If the Tohsaka could get their hands on this piece of land, you can think of a few ways to double their yearly income.

"..."

There is a piece to the puzzle that however does not match.

It's a gentle caress that moves through your face, sometimes in an erratic manner, others with a firm and determined passion. It's hard to describe, mostly because Aya Alayana is not used to this kind of thing. It's not exactly pleasant, but it's nothing that you cannot endure... The right word for it might just be 'uncomfortable'. In the end, it's that alien sensation that awakens your curiosity, and being the kind of person you are, the first automatic reaction you have is to draw your hand to the source. And, the moment you do...

"Fuwaah...?!"

The victimizer becomes victim, letting out a gasp in surprise as you forcefully get a grip on her wrist. Now, the average person would immediately release that bind, as the target is far removed from the daily lives of human beings. Unfortunately for this person, you too are one such individual, even if your physiology differs.

A child-like appearance that would fool even the most insightful adventurer.

An aura of extravagance that is complimented by her exotic wardrobe, giving the idea of someone who can only belong to the highest class.

Horns indistinguishable from those of a demon, reaffirming her identity as an evil-doer.

The only thing that appears to be missing is the outstanding confidence of a leader. If such thing ever existed, it was extinguished the second you caught her off-guard.

"..."

The already awkward silence becomes even more so as your line of sight identifies a familiar object held within the culprit's hand. Oh, dear... Is that...? Yes, there is no doubt about it. If that is the case, then the crime is more than clear.

You can only imagine what sort of drawing this delinquent was trying to complete with said item, using your face as an empty canvas.

"... You are scared, right?"

And yet...

Even when faced with a certain death scenario, the strange teenager finds the courage to fight back, ignoring her odds of a successful comeback are most definitely zero.

Such bravery can only be found in great heroes, whose legends have spread from mouth to mouth throughout the years.

"Absolutely terrified, I bet. Hehehehe~! What's wrong? Cat's got your tongue?"

It's not that...

It's just that you are trying to process why and how you arrived to this location.

To the forest that still belongs to the Einzbern, even if no words has been heard from them in decades.

Ugh... You can't remember anything precise.

Something wrong...? Kids went missing...? Something along those lines.

"Hey..."
    Seeing you are not letting go of her hand, the demon's composure slowly begins to crack... "Even if you are a fan... You shouldn't get so comfortable with me. I have tons and tons of more magical energy than you do. I could obliterate you in an instant, you know?"

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Einzbern Forest
    Morning Phase

Quote Originally Posted by ???
    "Hey..." Seeing you are not letting go of her hand, the demon's composure slowly begins to crack... "Even if you are a fan... You shouldn't get so comfortable with me. I have tons and tons of more magical energy than you do. I could obliterate you in an instant, you know?"
    "...Is that right?"

---Fearless.

Where most humans would falter at the appearance of a spirit of this caliber, a ghost-liner of one of the highest possible classes, the sheer ease with which the flame-haired woman maintains her grip on the smaller girl, the would-be demon, shows that perhaps this forest is home to two demons.

---No.

"More magical energy is it? Obliterated?"

Perhaps it's just one.

One whose hair dances in the morning like winter fire, one whose smile rides the line between pleasant and ice-cold, and one whose emotions can almost be read like an aura, an invisible wave of heat and pressure that laughs in the face of all threats, and who will not allow brats -no matter how theoretically powerful- to simply do as they like with her body, oh no...

"Are you sure...?"

It was bad enough that the nun was so damn familiar with her, but some random heroic spirit?

She bends down slightly, just enough that the smaller girl could look her in the eyes.

She won't allow her to look anywhere else after all...

Into the swirling vortex that lies within, a peek at the 'limitless inferno' that screamed and roared within the depths of her soul...

Yes.

"You're quite brave, marking me with such a tool and then claiming I'm getting comfortable with you. Are you not getting comfortable with me? Just drawing on me however you'd like? Surely you didn't think such a thing would have no consequences did you?"

---No matter who she interacts with, this person will never bow her head; in the end, flame could also be thought of as a symbol of rebellion, of mankind stealing the power of the gods, and thus...

She doesn't care whether someone is a "great hero," or a "dead apostle," or even a "magician."

---Such titles hold no real meaning to her, not in a conflict.

If someone opposes her, she'll beat them down regardless of what they are...

That's simply how she does things.

"What do you think would be fair?"

Her voice is almost hypnotic in nature, quiet, but only so much that her conversation partner really has to pay attention to it...

"Should I draw on you? Make you dance?"

She smiles.

---The perfect nature of it is somewhat disconcerting...

"My flames are good at making people dance. They love to chase things you know? Especially things that have tons and tons of magical energy... It'd be quite funny. We'd be even after a few minutes, no? I'd get about as much enjoyment out of it as you did playing with me, and that'd be fair for this little exchange right?"

Although...

While there is a casual sort of threatening aura over everything, well...

Her tone has shifted slightly from the normal, rather than how she might threaten local business owners it's more like...

Scaring a brat onto the proper path?

Is she even capable of such a thing?

---Hard to say.

"What do you say?"

The grip tightens, and the fire that can be seen in her eyes swirls with ever greater vigor...

"My last offer is answering a few questions, but you gotta take it quick or we're gonna go with the light the prankster on fire plan, alright? You got three seconds."
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Morning Phase

"... Okay. I think I get it."

In the end, Luna agrees to temporarily step down as an arbiter after hearing your explanation, but you can tell she does so with an unvoiced discontent. In fact, is she even trying to hide it? She might have nodded in understanding, but she did not make eye-contact like she usually does and, for a second, it almost looked like she was pouting...

It's only natural. Luna's perception of her surroundings continues to be as innocent as it has always been. It's expected for her to dislike conflict, even when said conflict is the best one can get out of a conversation between two rivals, and even when no physical violence is involved. She might be a doctor, but her mentality resembles more that of a child. Being the stubborn type, you know for a fact that this won't be the last time she recklessly throws herself into a conversation in order to act as a mediator of sorts.

Yeah, she might be able to endure for some time, but ultimately, she'll be compelled to step in and enforce her no fighting policy.

Moving on to the next matter at hand, you make a quick exchange with Hassan, where he answers some basic questions you have. Only after hearing his responses, do you decide to try out a few words in an attempt to crack the password that prevents further access into the machine's interface. Needless to say, this is just to test the waters, so do it while being fully aware that your chances of actually succeeding are slim at best. And, as par for the course, the screen does not hesitate to reply with an 'incorrect password' message.

... Before shutting down.

No.

It's not just the machine, the entire place goes dark. That's right: Because all the illumination down here is provided by artificial light, when you take it away, all you are left with is pitch-black darkness. For an instant, you are left wondering if simply typing the answer that came to mind was a terrible idea. In hindsight, there was no guarantee that you would be able to input as many words as you wanted as many times as you needed.

Fortunately, your worries come to an end after a little bit more than a second of suspense.

Once more, the laboratory is illuminated.

But it would be a lie to claim that nothing has changed. In fact, quite a few things did.

For starters, in spite of the screen still displaying the same discouraging message as before, its size has shrunken considerably, allowing the user to use a MS-DOS operating system, or at least something that closely resembled such. However, it does not respond to any common commands. Perhaps it operates differently than it initially seems?

And the fact that you have gained some access leaves you wondering...

Did the wrong password cause the black-out or did the black-out cause this strange sort of bug?

You don't really have much time to wonder before your attention is drawn elsewhere. Namely, the rest of the space that surrounds you. The steam still gets in the way, but it's easier to see now. The laboratory feels... Larger? Yes, as if some of its walls had folded back, revealing a space that could previously not be seen.

Over there, to the side, there is a line of tall, humanoid like artifacts. There is little effort put into concealing their true nature, that's why it is easy to tell, even from a distance that they are not in fact living creatures. Golems? Suitable for a Magus' workshop. No... These are...

Spoiler:

... Androids.

Meanwhile, Clause, who has been busy bothering and taunting the masked servant, finds herself unable to move almost as soon as the systems come back online. And it's not a product of sheer surprise, no, something has firmly wrapped itself around her feet, tightly tying them together. It's a rudimentary trap that sprung from the ceiling, where both Assassins were moving around. While at first sight it might seem like something insignificant, something that cannot keep the strength an Heroic Spirit at bay, the reality is in fact quite different. Yes, no matter how hard the royal would struggle, her immense strength is simply not enough to bend or cut her restraints. Because Clause can remain adhered to the ceiling if she so pleases, she's not as a sitting duck as she would be if she simple lets herself go, but the situation is close to that of a normal human being restrained by handcuffs or, in this case, footcuffs. Rather than trying to break it directly, the cat would be better off employing an indirect solution.

"Yeah, I take it back."

As for the culprit, well, that should have been obvious from the start.

"We're lacking offensive and defensive power."

Irony and seriousness are closely mixed within his words.

Finally, the screen reacts once more. Not to any input the user gives using the keyboard, but instead...

It might have been to one of the words you voiced.

A small document is diplayed before your eyes.

It's title...

'Overlapped World Theory.'

Blog Entries
    Morning Phase

Diplomacy had failed it seemed.

Well, at the very least hadn’t been very successful. His student was pouting, apparently because she herself wished to be the mediator, and Hiro had deprived her the opportunity. The young magus filed that personality quirk away in his mind for future consideration.

His Servant it seemed, had managed to get her paws trapped under the bathroom door, or something very similar. The long haired lad considered freeing her but was loath to do so on the grounds that he was fairly sure he would yet a face full of claws for his trouble.

The hell of it was, Hiro didn’t even think there would be any malice in such an act. A scared cat would lash out, and more importantly a petulant king would be extraordinary likely to vent her frustration with the situation upon the first available target. Therefor, about the most the boy was willing to risk as far as overt aid was to open up his mystic circuit slightly. This offered an unspoken allowance to the Queen of Cats, affording her the opportunity to draw magical energy to wrench herself free if she was unable to devise a more clever way of freeing herself.

Now, it was time to once more console his sulking apprentice it seemed. Perhaps he could kill two birds with one stone.

”Majesty, once you have finished playing, your humble servant would only offer admiration for your well crafted plan. The skill of an assassin is in reconnaissance. And as the king of the masterless, your Independent Action skill makes you a natural scou...

....And that was the time when the dark haired mage did something unusual.

He grinned, with a mouth full of fangs.

The side eye he offered his Servant was full of hidden and not so hidden meanings.

Because it was only then, that, contrary to all possible expectations, he had realized that the Cat King, Master of the Masterless and ruler of the unruleable...

Didn’t have Independent Action at all! She didn’t have that which demonstrated true independence from her master, thus indicating an unconscious desire for the Master and Servant bond.

It was this realization that caused the Jungle spirit to rouse, licking its chops in the depths of Hiro’s mind.

I always knew she was a secret M! The fire demon exulted, as surprised and if possible, even more amused then the mage.

Its like I always said! She may pretend to be this great king, but she goes home and diddles herself to the thought of having someone chain her up and dominating her until the lil’ kitty squeals for mercy. Oh gods, I’ll be teasing her about this for millennia!

At that point there was a mental feeling of being forcefully shoved aside. Hiro wasn’t sure if this was due to the Wrap being weakened by lack of magical energy or just because the Great Beast wanted this more then it had ever wanted anything ever before.

”Awww...”
    The demon said, forcing its will and words through the young boys mouth. “Is puss puss scaaaaaaaaaaaared to go alone? I’ll protect you, I’ll even hold your hand if you want, just say ‘Goddess, please protect me!’”
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Morning Phase

"..."

The cat-eared Servant finds herself hanging from the ceiling, tied up by her legs, being taunted from two sides.

"..."

Her eyes narrow down to slits. Her muscles tense one more time, and...

The woman becomes a black blur. A small blur that instantly takes advantage of a sudden slack in the loops around her legs. She slips out of the restraints, landing below on her feet. Not in the cooling pool, or on the smooth floor, but rather, atop the head of one of the inert automatons lining the walls.

"..."

The cat stares silently at the Masked Assassin, then Yamashita Hiro.

Something akin to a sigh emerges, as in the blink of an eye she returns to her old form once more. Cluase perches atop the android, not caring as its neck groans and creaks under an adult woman's weight.

"A snare which does not offend the instincts. You continue to surprise, Mask. But surprise alone will not lead you to victory when only we two remain before the Grail. Search for that power you speak of, then; it is the prerogative of those who call themselves weak to see strength. I have already found mine."

Not once, but twice. Sure, one could not say she was serious either of those times, but still, this is twice now that the other Servant has surprised her. If there ever a third time, then in all likelihood, she will have to kill him then and there, no matter how interesting he might be.

She spares no other words for the one above, instead turning her gaze back to the ones below. A gaze that hardens. Sharpens.

"Had you not been sheltering in my subject's body, fleabag, you'd have lost your head for that. If anyone is protecting anyone here, it is her."

The head of the android beneath her clawed toes cracks and groans as she tenses... and then stops, as the killing intent that had been building up is silenced in an instant.

"Get your worse half under control, subject. I'll accept no excuses. The next time she speaks up, you will be the one to suffer her punishment."

She pauses. Wrinkles her nose in disgust.

"And quit it with the flattery. It's gross."

Blog Entries
    Morning Phase

Many of those who trained in self defense knew the feel of killing intent. The heart of a warrior that had chosen to take a life.

...Still, it was strange to feel such coming from inside her own breast.

The sight of the Far Side Cat evoked the alternative form of the jungle spirit, the all consuming flames of sacrifice that consumed the heart and gave blessings.

But it also brought a feeling of belonging to the boy.

You have had your fun. I’m taking the wheel.

Not yet! I haven’t even asked her if she likes to be choked during the act!

Realizing that further dialogue was pointless (as it usually was) the young Magus invoked the power of the Wrap to contain the fire demon once more in that small knot in the back of his mind.

*Ahem*

The boy coughed into one hand, in a rather transparent attempt to brush the last few embarrassing moments aside.

“Allow me a moment of composure, monarch. Of course, you are right. And your presence concealment is of course sufficient. There is no need to consider the lack of ancillary related skills.”

The boy coughed once more into an outstretched hand.

He wasn’t laughing. No that definitely wasn’t a grin peeking past his thin hand.

Surely!

...Surely!

......Probably....

“At any rate, at your command Clause, I offer in lieu of any flattery, even if I feel it warranted, this plan instead. You, should your royal self find it suitable, explore this location here.”

At that point the young lad conveyed a certain location, one that the visage whom had been dubbed both “Ryuji” and “mask” by separate parties had also conveyed into the magus.

”This is asked if you, King of the Far Side, for a simple reason. My magical energy I offer freely, and without reservation, it is nothing less or more then tribute. However I myself will take the field, in the search of ‘CCC’ at the appointed time. If at that time I am forced to defend myself, that which is your earned treasure will be given instead to she whom you dub ‘fleabag’ as payment for defending my life. Of course, feel free to consider the question of which between you is more worthy of this tribute one of your contests.”

The young boy offered an apologetic shrug to his elder student. It was not so long ago he had offered an assurance that battle was not to be joined, and yet such was already frayed to the breaking point.

”Luna, I ask once more you attend me. It would be of use if you and I were to explore once this land you and I have already visited, as my monarch is capricious. However, I believe our time would be most profitably spent instead in discovery of that which is dubbed “overlapped world theory”. If I had time, I would also be very interested in uncovering the use of these homunculi, as they might be compelled to serve our ends. However, we do not. I promised before I would aid you if I could, and now time is at hand.

The young magus indicated a bag nearby, within such laid the tools that he had once before used to evoke the power hidden within the kind but naive girl.

”Therefor I propose while Clause, if she so wills it, explores the venue of tonight’s endeavor, whilst you and I study the manuscript. After which, I suggest we once more work to bring out your repressed Magics. Ryuji believes us weak in power and shield, but the lightning within your heart can potentially provide both, if you are willing to continue training in mastering such.”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Morning Phase

"..."

Cluase More stares.

Stares.

Stares.

Stares-.

"Hmph. It is quite a distance away."

Considers the proposal.

"A King with Independent Action? Do I look like an Archer to you?"

Mutters to herself, somewhat indignantly.

"...fine. The destination does not matter anyway. I suppose I can indulge that whim of yours, if it keeps you from getting into trouble and that thing from indulging in its endless gluttony. Even spirits can put on weight, you know. That particular one is known for it. Take care that you are not devoured, subject."

Then finally accepts the proposed plan. Cluase will scout out this place, to pave the way for Hiro's eventual investigation there.

Her form begins to fade once more...

Alicia Rosenkopf
    Miyama- Sleeping Bishop
    Morning Phase

"..."

For a moment, Tomomi, Akane and Yuuna all go silent, wondering if there is any fact hidden in plain sight that might make your proposition at least a little bit more feasible than it initially sounds. It doesn't take them very long to start shaking their heads in regretful denial. Naturally, because you are not well-versed with the world of the arcane, there might be some things you are missing, perhaps even a rule or two that your suggestion tramples over in its ignorance. But the overall impression that you get is that the possibility of solving things through a reenacting of a past ritual might be out of reach.

"W-well, it's not impossible." The owner of the inn is the first one to reply, slightly unsure of where to begin. "The method itself might even be the solution to this whole deal." It's too early to get optimistic, though, as you sense a big 'but' incoming. "However, the problem is that we do not have that tool in our power. Even if Tohsaka Rin happened to leave it here in Fuyuki, we have no idea of what it is. And that's not where the trouble ends... There's also the fact that there's likely no one around with the knowledge or skill to reproduce such a feat. That sort of knowledge is often a well-kept secret that's only passed down from one generation to the next and not to be shared with anyone else..."

In other words, even under normal circumstances, putting together all the missing pieces of the puzzle is nothing short of a miracle. Pair it with the difficulties that the current situation presents and you get odds even more abysmal. Akane's explanation was probably a gentle way to tell you that what you suggested might simply not be the wisest goal to aspire to...

"I believe it would be best for us to go one step at a time." The maid intercedes, making a valiant effort to keep the spirit of the team from losing the spark that has been there since their awakening. "Let's make arrangements to pay the Tohsaka a visit. While Tohsaka Rin might not be present in Fuyuki, the one left in charge might be able to lend us a hand and share more information with us. Perhaps they are already working to revert this situation. If so, any help we can offer could be invaluable."

Yuuna then takes a deep breath, as she draws in the courage necessary to said something that needs to be said.

"Mercenaries were sent last night to deal with us. It was not an attack out of chance or caused by a supernatural catastrophe, it was an attack orchestrated on this very household in order to deal as much damage as possible to the integrity of this group. The enemy that is after us has done this for a reason. It is likely that we represent a threat to their plans in one way or another."

The maid makes a little pause and then finishes it off with a few words of encouragement:

"So let's not give ourselves too little credit. We might have little to go on, but that doesn't mean it's time to give up. Let's continue working hard, everyone."

"Well said." Akane comments with a smile.

Tomomi nods as well.

With a course of action defined, the red haired owner of the Sleeping Bishop turns, once more, her attention towards you.

"Then, if it is alright with you, Alicia, I would like you to pay a visit to the Tohsaka. I'll have Yuuna escort you there. I would go myself, but I am afraid last night's procedure has left me exhausted, even after breakfast. I'll recover my energies during day time, and procure to be more active during the night. Tomomi, in the meantime, please watch over our 'guest'. I know it is difficult, but see if you can get some more information out of him."

"It's okay, don't worry."

Tomomi answers with her usual resilience.

She probably hates Gin for what he has done, but she has an outstanding self-control. She's super calm...

On an unrelated note, Takagi Akane has not said anything about Assassin. She's leaving the choice of whether to take her with you or leaving her here on patrol to you.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alicia Rosenkopf (& Servant Assassin)
    Miyama- Sleeping Bishop
    Morning Phase

"I-I see..." Alicia nodded, her spirited mood a little deflated. She'd felt acutely how the atmosphere in the room had dropped the moment she'd chimed in with her impulsive suggestion. "So following in their footsteps will be harder than it sounds, huh? Sorry if I got your hopes up by acting like I knew some big secret..." she muttered sheepishly.

But the young girl quickly perked up again at Yuuna and Akane's encouraging words. 'That's right', she thought to herself, 'if the enemy is targeting us specifically then that means they recognize as a threat. Which means we have a chance to change things!'

"Let's go," Alicia said firmly, rising up out of her chair once she'd finished her meal. "If visiting the Tohsakas is the best way to get more information on this disaster then we have to give it a try! I'd be happy to be escorted by you." She met Yuuna's gaze.

"What about me Master?" Assassin cut in questioningly. "Do you want me to play bodyguard with you or stay here watching over the inn?"

"Of course you'll be with me, silly," Alicia answered. "But not just as a bodyguard or whatever, you're my friend Assassin." She punctuated that remark with a bright smile.

"Ehe..." Assassin blushed a little, then frowned thoughtfully. "I'm flattered and all Master, but don't you think it might be dangerous leaving our homebase undefended? With no Servants staying here we risk being taken offguard if any more enemies ambush us like last time," she shrewdly reasoned. Truth be told Assassin still wasn't all that attached to the other inhabitants of the inn, but her Master's safety was in peril if their base was compromised. Besides, Alicia seemed to care about them and that was reason enough to prioritize their wellbeing...

"Don't worry," Alicia assured in a tone that suggested she had a plan. "I thought of this after last night and came up with a way to detect attacks to the inn while we're out." While calmly explaining the young girl walked over to the dining room's window and swung it open. Before Assassin or anyone else had time to question her intentions she reached her arm out and recited a brief incantation. "Spying Eye." On those words magical energy crackled at her fingertips and coalesced into a shimmering shard of glass that hung aloft in the air.

"Woah," Assassin gasped, impressed. "That another spell of yours?"

"Mhmm." Alicia nodded and the shard drifted forwards before hovering placidly over the inn's front yard, bending light around itself and appearing to nearly vanish in the air. "This glass is a scrying lense. Even if we're far away I can see through it by channelling my magical energy as well as get a heads-up if anything suspicious is nearby. That way we can sense if the inn is attacked and know to come back right away. It's not perfect obviously since we still have to actually get there, but at least like this we won't be totally blindsided." She finished her explanation, beaming proudly at Assassin. "Pretty cool huh?"

"Totally!" Assassin enthusiastically exclaimed. "Man, for a self-taught amateur you sure know your stuff Alicia."

"Ehehe, it's not THAT great," Alicia chuckled modestly, a light blush dying her cheeks. "Just a product of a whole bunch of tinkering with my powers when I had nothing better to do..."

"Curiosity is the mother of all invention!" Assassin extolled proudly. "Or something like that... actually, that gets me wondering," she leaned forward with a more teasing grin, "what was your inspiration to invent such a spell? Was there, perhaps, something private you wanted a special glimpse of?"

"W-w-what exactly are you insinuating?!" Alicia protested, blush deepening as she waved her arms in a flustered tizzy. "I wouldn't use magic for something so dirty!"

"Hohh?" Assassin arched an amused eyebrow. "Sounds like your mind leaped somewhere very particular just now. Could it be Ms. pure innocent sunflower is actually a wolf in sheep's clothing?"

"S-shut up!" Alicia blurted out, turning away with an audible pout. "Jeez, you grownups are always so dirty-minded..."

Assassin frowned at her Master's askance head and puffed-out cheeks. As adorable as Alicia looked like this she felt like she'd maybe taken her teasing game a little too far. "Sorry 'bout that Master, I was just ribbing you. Anyways, there's nothing shameful about a growing girl having such thoughts you know..." the wolf-eared Servant said, walking up to put an apologetic hand on her charge's shoulder.

"Hmph, I don't want to hear that from someone who needed to be yelled at just to wear clothes..." Alicia murmured, sulkily twirling a strand of blonde hair around her finger. But she quickly felt her anger dying, realizing the Servant didn't truly mean anything by her teasing. "T-that aside, we should get going. We don't know how much time we'll have to travel freely when things are so chaotic outside," the blonde said having managed to regain her cool.

"Got it Master," Assassin confirmed.

Before leaving Alicia turned to Tomomi who'd been looking on bemusedly at the pair's banter. Alicia had been quietly awed by the bluenette's composure in handling everything that had been hurled at them with such stoicism, but she knew Tomomi's feelings weren't as unruffled as her expression portrayed. "Listen... I know it must hurt inside knowing who did this to Taichi, but you can handle it, I'm sure of that. I promise Assassin and I will be back soon so hold down the fort for us in the meantime okay?" she bade a sincere farewell.

And so the three, Alicia, Assassin and Yuuna prepared to embark on the journey ahead in search of uncertain answers...

Aya Alayana
    Einzbern Forest
    Morning Phase

There are a lot of things that come with being a distinguished member of a noble house. Natural grace, guaranteed success, adoration from the masses and perhaps a little bit of ignorance where it is needed. Elizabeth Bathory is also special case: Because she has studied hard to become an idol, it is said that all those positive traits are to be multiplied tenfold. In other words, a being capable of challenging the idea she represents is simply unimaginable. Even if, by the works of nature, someone would be cursed with a fashion and musical sense too twisted to understand the beauty that she embodies, she can always use terror as a tactic to enforce her innate superiority. Physical torture, psychological torment, you name it, Eliza knows a lot more than she is aware.

But... You know what they say.

There is always a bigger fish in the ocean.

By the time your grip on her wrist tightens as you deliver a final ultimatum, the girl has long since forgotten her nature as a Servant, not to mention as that of a ruler. Normally, she would be able to gather the courage to at least fend off some threats, but the swirling fire in your eyes speaks volumes of how much you are willing to beat around the bush. Not truly a fan of being of the receiving end of violence, the horned demon finally settles for a clever approach and complies to your demands.

It's not a surrender, though---!

"Hmph. A few questions, huh? I guess I could do that much." Able to recover her composure just enough to articulate a comeback, the little devil uses her free hand to flip her hair back. "But you'd do well not to confuse courtesy with kindness. You are in the presence of the most malevolent Countess there is. Should you defy my patience, hundreds upon hundreds of warriors are to come for your head, led by an undying devotion."

Her smirk morphs into a wide smile, a hint of pleasure hidden within those lips. Almost as if...

Almost as if she were fantasizing of the whole thing right now.

"Although I suppose bad manners are to be expected from a little peasant like you. I'll excuse you this once, seeing as you must have come from very far away."

She's still trying to slip her hand away from your grip in a discrete, yet not exactly unnoticeable manner...

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Einzbern Forest
    Morning Phase

"Somewhere far away...?"

---She chuckles, although the sound does nothing to assuage the swirling hellfire in the depths of her eyes.

"Unfortunately for you, I am sure my city is much closer than your kingdom."

---And her grip remains like a vice.

Indeed, every time the heroic spirit before her attempts to slip away, she tightens her grip even further, her smile quickly becoming one that screams that escape is impossible, and that continuing to attempt to do so would only lead to further punishment in the end...

Truly, this girl is something of an unreasonable demon herself; caring little for titles, but using her own as a jousting weapon of sorts with this child, she shows absolutely no signs of intimidation at all, indeed...

The flames just burn brighter, along with her unnervingly cheerful smile...

"But if you wish to feed your soldiers into the inferno, I suppose I could make room for them as well in the fiery abyss, it matters little to me."

The smile brightens, and the woman raises her posture a bit, letting her actual height as an adult allow her to physically stand above the smaller girl...

A basic step of psychological warfare...

Might as well dominate on all fronts.

"Many do call me a Devil after all... Showing a clear demonstration of force every once in awhile does wonders for keeping everyone else in line, no?"

She laughs.

"But still, you did take my deal, so I suppose I won't light you or your... Nonexistent vassals aflame as long as you behave yourself. Hell, I am in a forgiving mood, if you have nowhere else to go I may take you under my wing, in my endless mercy."

She says she's got endless mercy, but really it's...

---Merciless.

"So here we go. Naturally, I expect the truth. Question One: Where is your Summoner? Something like you doesn't simply come into being randomly, are the Einzbern's active again? Question Two: Did you see my arrival in this forest? You were doodling on me for some time, so surely you know something about me and my circumstances, no? Question Three: Have you seen any kids wandering around in this forest? Little taller than you, but just about as bratty? Should be two of em."
    Last edited by Airen; May 21st, 2021 at 02:27 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Shinto - Bridge
    Morning Phase

"..."

Following Hiro's plan, you follow Hassan back to the surface, the end goal being to investigate the Ryudoji Temple prior to the visit that the group would pay it later that night. Because the masked Servant has gone through the effort of sealing several of the exits that exist close to the underground base, the trip through the sewers ends up being slightly longer than intended, but not one that can't be covered by Heroic Spirits in the span of a minute or two. All throughout the journey, and as it is to be expected, the other assassin gives you the cold shoulder, for no particular reason other than wanting to keep a clear distance between the two of you.

The king is different from its subject, after all.

Even with the fire demon in mind, the old man of the mountain is confident that he can keep your Master away if a breathing space is required. On the other hand, he holds no such authority over the crowned cat, nor can he enforce anything close to it through sheer physical superiority. That is not to say that he wouldn't be able to overpower her, just that doing so might consume too many resources to be cost effective. As much as Hassan adored the idea of being left alone, he would never go as far as to put it before his own survival.

Ignoring the cat acting as a double-edged sword might indeed be a problem, but if he has to choose between an instant kill or a snowball that slowly gains more mass as it rolls until it becomes an unavoidable avalanche in the end, he'll always pick the latter, because he is a coward.

For now he has the advantage of being extremely hard to catch. One that is hard to explain, because it might not follow the laws of physics like many other supernatural abilities linked to Servants that do the same. While he is not particularly faster than you, and in a normal race you'd be evenly matched... In a game of tag it is a completely different story.

He becomes an elusive phantom that your hands can rarely grasp.

"As I understand it, the passing of a black cat symbolizes bad luck in some cultures."

The moment you emerge from the depths of Fuyuki's underground sewers, appearing very close to the bridge that connects Shinto and Miyama, it is him the one to speak up first, guided by an overwhelming sense of dread. It's only natural...

---For what lies before your very eyes is a completely alien sight.

A shattered dark sky...

The mirrored image of an eternally lit city...

And a descending cloud of mist...

"Par for the course, I guess."

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Shinto - Bridge
    Morning Phase

"Nyahaha! Why, Mask, I daresay I almost had you that time!"

On the streets of Fuyuki, echoing from the sewers below, a faint sound can be heard as the two Servants pass through its tunnels.

One could not call it an enjoyable journey for the masked Assassin. He has not only has to navigate the sewers to their destination, but also deal with the persistent hunter following him. Cluase lurks in the shadows, at times concealing herself, at times running ahead, and sometimes trying for a flanking attack via another route. Yet each time the actual attack is disappointingly direct, her stealthy tendencies vanishing the moment she makes a leap. The number of times she has tried to catch him is long since past counting on two hands as they near the exit.

He has skillfully evaded her each time of course. Having become more and more accustomed to her animalistic movements, each subsequent attempt to catch the masked Servant has been less effective than the one that came before it. By the end of their journey, even Cluase is aware that her chances have fallen from low to minuscule. Sure, she has been limiting her output so as to not actually spend magical energy, but so has he. It is simply a difference in skill and temperament that has decided each clash conclusively. The hunter cannot catch the hunted. It is simple as that.

"Such ability to flee from danger puts even gazelles to shame. Be proud of it. You may be the greatest prey a predator might ask for. Were you to visit my kingdom, you would be beset on all sides by suitresses and supplicants in an instant."

And yet Cluase says it has been a fun game. Perhaps not for him, but certainly for her. Because even she fails, there is always the thrill of trying again. And even if he succeeds, there is always the fear that next time he will be caught.

"Fufu, I may have to think up a more clever tactic... ah."

Her musing and thoughts are put to a halt as they finally emerge from the sewers and next to the river and bridge.

She certainly hadn't reserved any expectations for Fuyuki. The circumstances of her summoning were certainly abnormal, as was the behaviour of the mist, and the mechanical master whose base they had used, but all of that weirdness could absolutely be contained within the scope of a standard Grail War. Magi are a strange lot, so some amount of weirdness is to be expected. This, however? Even she had not expected the sight of a second city in the sky, visible through what may well be a shattered plan of glass.

"Your luck must be naturally poor, Mask. For no misfortune of mine could curse such a thing into existence."

Back straight. Eyes wide open, unblinking. In an instant, her body language changes from playful to poised.

"The overlapped world theory, your Master called it. It truly must be clairvoyant, then, to see this coming. To think a layer could be shattered like this... or is it the opposite? Is it not a true layer at all, but rather a fragile construct that has had a blow struck against it...?"

Somehow, Assassin has started to say some strange things.

"It is above. Not below. Or are we the ones above, and that city below? Certainly it cannot be tunneling into the Reverse Side. Unless the anchors failed, but that's unthinkable. Then, was your layer split somehow?" She frowns, nose twitching at the scent of the mist descending from the gap in reality. "That mist... whatever is on the other side of that gap is 'predator', and this city is 'prey'. To sully my
    playground
    battlefield
    like this... unacceptable."

Yes, it's no longer a game. The distasteful sight has well and truly angered her. Enough that she will put aside her own whims for the moment.

"Come along then, Mask. We've a scouting mission. If you can outrun me, you should be able to outrun some fog."

Yamashita Hiro
    Fuyuki's Underground Sewers- ???'s Secret Laboratory
    Morning Phase

"..."

Soon the echoing sounds of the two Heroic Spirits leaping their way throughout the tunnels fades out. With that, the spring, which has long since exceeded its purpose, begins to slowly phase out of existence. While it appears to be a construct independent from the Queen herself, it cannot be sustained without her presence or, to be more precise, her authority. The contract completed, the spirits that gave it shape return home, making sure to bring their craft back with them. As this truth becomes more and more evident with each passing second, you urge Luna to make the necessary preparations to avoid another embarrassing scene, especially in front of the speechless tin-hearted Master.

While all of this is taking place, Luna can't help but voice her thoughts:

"Hiro-san. Could it be that you come from royalty, too?" The blue haired girl makes a pause, hesitating to continue, but aware that now she would have to explain exactly where that assumption has come from. She musters enough strength to do so after a couple of seconds. "I mean, the way you speak sometimes sounds so strange. But not in the bad way! Just... Kind of 'vintage', you know? It reminded me of how knights used to speak in tales of old. That thought just crossed my mind for some reason..."

Then, all of a sudden, the distance between the two of you grows larger. If not physically, then symbolically.

"... Thank you for everything you said." She doesn't make an effort to hide her doubt. Perhaps she doesn't even know how to. "But I am not sure I feel the same way I did about finding more about myself and my powers as I did yesterday."

The silence that follows only serves to emphasize the rejection of your proposal.

"I... The deeper I go, the deeper I feel like the person I am supposed to be and the person I am now are nothing alike. And I am afraid... Because I can tell that she's stronger than me. Because I can tell that she means you and the rest harm. I don't know what her deal is, but I feel like if I give her more any ground, she'll just trample over me."

Luna is not afraid to fight.

She does not have the mentality of a fighter and she barely understands any of the context that surrounds the current situation. She has no obligation to push herself or become involved any further. If the world is ending or facing a catastrophe of sorts, she has all the right to face it in the way she wants to.

Yes, the fear in her eyes has nothing to do with hurting others.

She might not like conflict or violence, and making other people suffer is likely not on her to-do list.

But that's not it.

What she is afraid of... Is likely losing herself. Whatever little of an identity she has amassed thus far.

She's scared of being overwritten. Of losing all progress. Of forgetting all she has.

That is why.

"It's ok as it is... I can keep her at bay as I am now, so..."
    Last edited by hero; May 27th, 2021 at 06:41 PM.