Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Closure [IC Thread]

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alicia Rosenkopf
    Miyama- The Sleeping Bishop
    Morning Phase

"Run away...?"

Alicia's voice trailed off, taken aback by Tomomi's abrupt offer. Of course, it made sense. For an innocent young girl caught up in a war that defied comprehension, finding a way to run away as soon as possible was the only logical choice. Whatever madness was unfolding here in Fuyuki, it could be left for more experienced adults to resolve. Indeed, there was absolutely no reason for a kid like Alicia to stay involved at this point. For her to risk throwing her life away in a war she had nothing to do with would only be a fool's errand.

That was true. There was no doubt such reasoning was correct. So... why? Why did Alicia find herself clenching her hand defiantly, as if ready to scream out against that decision?

-Ah, that's right. During their conversation in her room, Assassin had said something about a wish. The one who achieved the Holy Grail, could have any desire they wanted granted. Even if... it was a miracle on the level of resurrecting the dead. At the time Alicia's mind was swirling with so many thoughts she'd overlooked that information, but now it came hurtling back to her. If she could really have anything she wanted, then she could even undo the tragedy that had defined her life ever since 'that day'...

That being said, the right path to take here was still far from obvious. Even if she chose to participate in the War, without Tomomi she'd be without any allies or place to stay. While Assassin gave the vibe of a stalwart companion, Alicia wasn't sure if her Servant alone would be enough to make it through this conflict in one piece. And furthermore, if she stayed behind how could she make sure Tomomi and the others had managed to leave safely? Alicia couldn't forgive herself if they'd gotten hurt while she was following her own selfish wish.

Many questions danced at the tip of Alicia's tongue, some of which would reveal more about herself to Tomomi than she'd prefer. So Alicia decided to settle with a simple one: "Assassin... the wolf-eared lady I summoned is part of whatever's going on here in Fuyuki. If I leave, what will happen to her?"

Even if Alicia wasn't being perfectly honest as to her intentions, that concern wasn't a lie. She felt indebted to Assassin ever since the mysterious woman had saved her life last night, risking her body to shield her from the unforgiving light of Saber's Noble Phantasm. Although they'd only just met, Alicia knew it'd be wrong to abandon her. Everything else may've been up in the air, but that much was certain to her.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Church on the Hill
    Morning Phase

---She listens, seriously, to the woman as she speaks.

While she is not the sort that would go out of her way to interact with the Overseer unless it was actually, one-hundred percent necessary, the crimson-haired woman is capable of understanding and appreciating the role she plays in the operation of the city, thus, while her actions are those of someone who desires answers no matter what, there is a certain acknowledgement in those actions that the woman can certainly fulfill that role, but...

---Each admittance is accompanied by the sharp intake of breath between her teeth, as things go from bad to worse; things hadn't gotten better since her nap inside of the fish, no, considering what she had just been told about the state of the town, of the fact that things were so far gone that even technology was starting to lose it's functionality... Were there EMP devices going off? If so, that seemed to imply either the use of technological warfare, or a magus that wasn't so blinded by the mysteries they dabbled in that they acknowledged technology was some form of threat, or at least, their magecraft was of the sort that it could interrupt technology...

Aya herself was a bit of an oddball magus, being raised to operate like a Yakuza had necessitated a certain familiarity with technology, even so, like Caren said...

It's likely the work of a magus...

Even so...

That's not the worst of it.

While the ordeals currently inflicting the city and it's populace were a problem that needed a rapid solution, the nun's admittance to not actually knowing where the kids are -one of whom she is the actual guardian to- is one that almost causes her to choke on the light huff she had let out at the idea of "becoming that person's bodyguard," (although she admittedly might owe her one) and...

"You don't know where they are...? They're not here...?"

...Shoots the mind from "high speed" to "overdrive-!"

Of course, doing something like shouting in worry doesn't fit her image, even so, the unshaken face of the landlord strains a bit at those words and at that truth, the pain of a guardian that hasn't secured the safety of those she was meant to protect, and-

"...Guess I've got no choice then."

-in the end, comes to that conclusion as her hands go into her pockets and she turns to face the door.

"I'll go with you, but you better not slow me down."

---In other words.

She's going out to solve the problem now, not necessarily the city's problem -that would require more information- but the problem of the kid's safety at the very least-!

Still...

---She's not completely humorless, no...

"...Although I am curious..."

Hand on the door as she awaits her newfound protectee, that woman...

"...How did you get me out of the fish? Where did you find me at?"

...Wants confirmation on at least one other thing...

Something that strikes her as rather strange...

In a number of different ways...
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Church on the Hill
    Morning Phase

"Hmmm, so you were eaten by fish. Is that what you are trying to tell me, Aya?" The nun replies, her deadpan stare strong enough to hide her own amusement. "Should anyone else share such a story with me, I would immediately begin to doubt their sanity. But if it's you, it must be true. Even if your activities can appear to be rather... Volatile... From time to time, you have yet to prove yourself a liar."

Caren Ortensia moves past the entrance that separates the room from the outside and you quickly follow. There, concealed behind the chapel which has, up to this point, acted as the final frontier that you would never normally cross, stands a mysteriously beautiful garden. Unlike the studio, which has been left in disarray on purpose, the garden is the exact opposite. You can tell the Overseer comes here often and takes care of not just the plants and flowers, but also the numerous marble sculptures that decorate it. Now that you stand in a place that you thought did not exist, you can tell how deceptively big the Church on top of the hill actually is. A shame you do not have the time to halt your movement and admire it. Because the current situation is pressing, both you and the nun cross its entirety in less than a minute.

"But, while I didn't do anything to get you out of this creature you speak of, I did, naturally, save you. Save you from painting a big target on your back, that is. Finding you outside the House of God, surrounded by demonic flame, threatening to burn the entire place apart, I had to stop myself and ponder for a moment whether it was an act done on purpose or not."

You attempt to piece back together the fragments of your memory and match them with Caren's version of the story, but it's ultimately all in vain. One would initially assume that, if she was not the one to get you out of that big fish, someone else must have. Then, that same person could have deposited you at the Church's entrance, knowing that its owner would take care of you.

... But that doesn't explain how they were able to do so while avoiding your Magecraft's nature. While the flames you can bring forth are not invincible, they are not something that can be shrugged off or ignored with ease.

There must be a part of the story that you are missing. That's the only reasonable explanation you can give at this time.

"Thankfully, I had access to some Special Cloth capable of sealing away your treacherous embers."

So she does have a method of fighting against a threat like yourself in some way. That said, considering the slight frown that she displays after saying that, you can guess that it was not as easy as it sounds and that it is likely that said 'Special Cloth' is not doing so well right now...

"..."

It's still dark.

It must be early morning, definitely before six A.M.

The moment you set foot outside, you increase your pace in search of a good vantage point. After all, while one cannot see the entire city from atop of the hill given how many obstacles stand in the way, there is a particular location that lets you look for the specific thing you are after. Needless to say, that is the location of the ghastly encounter last night, the bridge that was put down by your own hands, through your own power. The place that should still be a living hell after you lost consciousness and control of your flames.

... But the sight that greets you is alarming.

Indeed, one should be glad to see that nothing is wrong with the Fuyuki Bridge, which stands tall and firm in its entirety. However, to you, that glimpse is terrifying enough that your instincts alert you that this disturbance is not something that should be overlooked. Has your memory been altered, Has someone covered up that much damage in so little time? Every possibility seems unlikely and yet no possibility can be ruled out. Just what the hell is going on...?

And then...

As if to mock your efforts in trying to understand it all...

"Looks like we've found the culprit, Aya."

Focused on your own investigation, it is only then that Caren Ortensia returns to your field of vision. Her hand is silently pointing at something above.

There, up in the sky...

A rare phenomenon is taking place. 'Northern Lights', as it's called, something which has not been reported in Japan since 2004. But this time the entire scene is strangely sharp, clear-cut, almost too perfect to be an occurrence science can explain in detail, and instead the consequences of something much, much more dreadful.

And, indeed, that might be just be it.

For what Caren is pointing at is not the Aurora Borealis itself, but something else that can be found in that dark sky.

Something so small and so well-concealed -At least, at the moment-, that anyone without an outstanding eyesight would have been guaranteed to miss on one's first glance.

Yes, what you can see there now is unmistakably...

The promise of bad things to come.
    Last edited by hero; March 3rd, 2020 at 06:56 PM.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Yamashita Hiro
    Shinto - love hotel district
    Morning phase

"..."

The silence that follows Assassin's proposal is serious and gloomy. It's not hard to see that neither Luna nor Theressa find the idea compelling but, at the same time, their expression fail to convey the idea of an absolute disapproval. It is a moment, just a fleeting instant, but the emotion hidden between their eyes is doubt, disbelief and hesitation made manifest in different ways by different human beings. In that sense, they contrast quite fiercely with your own stance, which has remained strong, regardless of whether your confidence is real or fabricated. You may have folded your hand this round, but in the real game, the one going on behind curtains, you are the one player who hasn't dropped out and is still daring to bet everything for what slim chance of victory.

"What is knowledge but another form of power...?" Hassan retorted, somewhat amused. "Although, your viewpoint sounds like it more closely resembles that of a scientist. Then what you are talking about is 'Curiosity'. And curiosity is indeed dangerous enough to kill. One may even argue it's the biggest sin of man..."

In the end, this round turns out to be the most boring of them all. Everyone folds, except Assassin, who claims 'the pot' by default. In the end, it looks like all hands were horrible. Luna and Theressa are too honest and naive to fold with a single pair or any better combination, so their decision must have been based on their lack of any proper hand to put their faith on.

As for the Heroic Spirit who hides his appearance underneath a white skull mask...

He is not really forced to show his hand given the turn order and specific circumstances, but since you've showed part of your hand then he may show part of his.

Wrong.

This never happens. It seems this Assassin likes to play the cards close to his chest, instead of using them to create an illusion.

"Unlike other figures who share my true name, I follow absolutely no code of honor. I told this to my Master the moment I was summoned: 'I am selfish. The thing I care the most is not the contract, your well-being or the promise of an omni-potent wish, but myself'. The only reason I am not keeping all the information to myself is because I don't have a choice if I want to avoid to wind-up dead in some alley."

All of a sudden, Assassin becomes more distant and less amicable, a small crack in his facade. But you get the feeling that this is no slip on his part, this is not just some random rant about life hardships and how to deal with them through cowardice, no, there is no wasted word in what the Servant is saying.

"You've seen others. Creatures that resemble Servants, yet are not yet complete. 'The Blackened'. Listen, there are three things necessary for something of that nature to remain in this world:" At this point, Hassan would rise a finger after mentioning each requisite. "First, their spiritual core, which is their identity and their 'true being', needs to remain intact. Second, there must be Magical Energy within their bodies in order to sustain their functions. And third... They have to be anchored to a particular being or place in the material plane, which will act as their anchor."

Then, the Servant makes a brief pause, his silence a proof of concern.

"That mist that engulfed the city last night seems to provide all conditions for the Blackened to manifest. I, myself, was a Blackened before forging an actual contract with my Master. My memories are damaged so all this information is coming directly from my Master but... It would appear that you can 'steal' the ownership of a Servant through the use of a specific ritual. The problem is..."

His words linger in the air for a moment, as he tries to find the right words to convey his message.

"That mist is, most likely, one big, bad curse... These Blackened are not just 'Servants with corrupted Spirit Cores'. Their bodies are not just covered but almost entirely made of 'Negative Emotion'... Human Negative Emotion. That mist is allowing humanity's sins and regrets to manifest in physical bodies like that. But it doesn't end there..."

Finally, Assassin nonchalantly rises his finger and points it at the room's entrance.

"You see, the nun and I had a little misunderstanding and a little skirmish ensued. You heard that much, right? Naturally, we are partly responsible for the damage caused to our surroundings. But a good part was already there. And it popped out of nowhere. I've also scouted objects that do not belong, scattered letters from people who should be dead, and even other creatures which do not resemble us at all...

I don't know where all that hatred and negativity is coming from... But it's leaking directly into this reality, into this town. And that's never a good thing in the long run."
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

Alicia Rosenkopf
    Morning Phase

"..."

In spite of the painful silence that follows your question, the answer is painted all over Tomomi's face: 'Assassin can't come with us', is what her expression says. It goes without saying that, given how much effort the girl puts in avoiding to look at you in the eye, that suggestion does not sit well with her either, almost to the point that she feels ashamed of bringing it up. But behind it is genuine concern for your safety. Another part of her knows that abandoning everything is most likely the safest path you can take. Being your friend, it is her responsibility to, at the very least, let you know that you aren't forced to bear this burden. There is always the option to abandon everything and run away.

"... I understand."

Assuming you have already made up your mind, Tomomi makes a sudden move, grabs your hand and quickly pulls you into a nearby, unoccupied room. Your mind, confused, makes a race to discover the reason why your friend is moving the conversation here, when the hallway offers enough privacy as it is, given the low number of guests currently at the inn. To add to that, ever since she set foot inside, the youngest of the Masaki siblings has not stopped moving, looking for something in particular. The thought is almost childish, but the idea of she pressing a secret switch and turning the entire room into a base of operations equipped with cutting-edge technology does not feel as unlikely as it should from your point of view...

"...!"

It takes no more than thirty-seconds for Tomomi to find what she's looking for, and relief washes over you when you realize what those things are. Pencil and numerous blank sheets of paper. Still in some sort of trance-like state, the girl completes drawing after drawing, some of which end at your feet while others sneak past your defenses and make it all the way to your face. This process lasts for about a minute, at which point you are finally allowed to put away all obstacles and recover.

"Command Seals. It's my first time seeing them in a person, and their design may not match that of my records, but there is no mistaking it. Those are definitely Command Seals."

Tomomi, now as serious as the role of instructor demands one to be, has grabbed your hand and is pointing at the markings on the back of your hand with her index finger. Somehow, however, your attention is drawn elsewhere, that is, to the collection of drawings she has produced in the past minute. Each includes a particular designs coupled with quite a few lines of text on the side. Tomomi's handwriting is particularly tidy, but the way it the text is organized on each page is messy, acting in direct contrast to her well-organized nature. Regardless, it all falls to second place when compared to the overall quality of the drawing, the details present in each illustration leave no doubt that Tomomi must be some sort of artistic genius to be able to draw that well, and with an ordinary pencil, to boot-!

"..."

It's not like Tomomi made these as an original artwork, it's clear that, given her choice of words, she's copying something she has seen somewhere else. That's even more worthy of praise, to be able to recall an image so vividly in your mind. Then, her pieces of art are less of a rough sketch and more like a photocopy...

"They mark your ownership of your Servant, the one named Assassin." Tomomi continued, without giving truce. "A set of three absolute orders she has to obey no matter what, the symbol of your status as a Master, both a failsafe and a curse. Listen Alicia, these will be your most powerful weapons in the future to come. You must learn how to use them properly and when to use them."

Tomomi seems to be a lot more knowledgeable about the current situation than you initially believed.

And now, you are being lectured on the subject...

Blog Entries
    Alicia Rosenkopf
    Morning Phase

"Wyaaa-huuh?" Alicia squeaked in surprise when Tomomi took her hand and pulled her into a room adjacent to the hallway. The sudden act of forwardness from the normally docile girl took her off-guard. "Tomomi!" she called out confusedly. "What are you doing?" Ignoring her Tomomi began, as if in a trance of some sort, to scribble maniacally on various sheets of paper scattered throughout the room. Alicia just stared at her, marvelling at Tomomi's almost blindingly fast sketching.

When the work was done, which took around a minute, numerous drawings were laid out before Alicia in a tableau of sorts. They depicted otherworldly sigils similar to the ones seared into her hand, but in different shapes and sizes, along with other designs Alicia couldn't make heads or tails of. Alicia didn't have time to admire them for long though, because Tomomi grabbed her hand again and stared at her with a serious look on her face.

"Command Seals. It's my first time seeing them in a person, and their design may not match that of my records, but there is no mistaking it. Those are definitely Command Seals."
    "Command Seals?" Alicia repeated, rolling the unfamiliar words around on her tongue. "I've never heard that term before. You know what these marks on my hand are?"

Without letting up, Tomomi continued her explanation. She told Alicia how the sigils symbolized her pact with Assassin, and allowed her to give the latter three commands that couldn't be disobeyed. Even though Alicia had never heard it before, the girl's words elicited a pang of familiarity in her. Ever since she'd gotten them Alicia had known instinctively that the marks on her hand served to link her to Assassin. Furthermore, she could also guess what it meant that one of them had faded after the battle last night.

"Tomomi..." Alicia said, feeling impressed at how knowledgeable her friend was. "By 'orders that she has to obey no matter what', does that extend to things that would be impossible otherwise? Because I think I used up one of those seals last night. It was when Saber called down that big glowy light in the sky. I cried out for Assassin to do something, and then I felt power flow from me into her. As if my command itself somehow made her stronger. Then, this morning I woke up and one of the seals on my hand had faded, leaving only a bruise."

Alicia paused, studying Tomomi's face for any hint of reaction before continuing. "That has something to do with the Command Seals you were talking about, right?"

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hiyako Tsurara
    Morning Phase

“Aaah?” Tsurara turned around, completely caught off guard by Taichi’s words. At first, upon hearing his outburst, she’d been about to walk out of the room, but receiving his thanks and his bow completely stopped her on her tracks.

“... Hrm.” Her cyan-colored eyes examined the boy with curiosity. Her body language stopped displaying that sense of urgency from earlier, and it could be said that this is the very first time the Yakuza heiress is appraising Masaki Taichi rather than just taking him to be a mobile and talking piece of background.

It is definitely not a pleasant experience to be examined by those eyes. There’s definitely a certain sense of pressure emitted passively by Tsurara, one different than the demonic aura she unleashes when in combat. Could be caused by his identity and authority as the next head of the Kuroitsume Clan, the equivalent to being the Matriarch of one of the stronger Yakuza organizations in all of Japan. Or perhaps, it is merely the pressure of a being that could be considered outside of the bounds of humanity, one that has killed before, to boot.

Either way, although it is definitely unpleasant, it is not something that could be enough to bother someone like Masaki Taichi, and the examination only lasts a few seconds before Tsurara lets out a sigh, massaging her forehead with one hand as if having a headache.

“If you had behaved the way you did yesterday and just now in front of my men, you’d have lost a finger or two, you know?” She said in dismay, sounding more amused than annoyed for once. Her tone is definitely much lighter, at least.

She doesn’t reject Taichi’s thanks or his bow. Although their dislike could be said to be mutual, and Tsurara had been not willing to interact with him before, she’s not the type that will play humble. She’s well-aware of her role in yesterday’s battle, and although she was dissatisfied with her performance, she knew that without her getting on that dark monster’s face and continuously stalling it, the outcome could have been much different. Emphasis on could.

“Just saying, when we go meet the owner of this inn, some of my… associates might be around. While it’d be pretty amusing to see them get all worked up about respect and what not, it’d also be a headache the both of us would like to avoid.” She added, as a friendly piece of advise.

Tsurara and Taichi are certainly too alike in personality to get along well, that much has become certain with just a few interactions. Both are stubborn, proud, and the type to hold a grudge. However, the boy’s capacity to put aside his own arrogance to give his thanks had raised Tsurara’s opinion of him slightly, enough for her to bother acknowledging his existence.

“...” Tsurara’s posture returned to a more normal one, although her eyes were still examining Taichi’s face, taking note of his reactions and movements almost automatically, as she was accustomed to do to an almost unconscious level. “I don’t have any hard evidence… but I don’t think trying to get out of the city is a good idea. I have reasons to suspect that Fuyuki’s been somehow cut from the outside world.”

Unlike her brother, Masaki Tomomi had given the half-demon a relatively good impression, despite not having interacted directly with her. Perhaps that was why she gave this warning, or maybe it was due to the same reason that had caused her to make a move last night. Either way, it seemed like despite it all, she couldn’t keep herself from being a busybody, although helping the siblings gave her no benefits.

“Although I guess I’m getting the order to things mixed up…” She said with another, sigh. “My name is Hiyako Tsurara, from the Kuroitsume Clan. Nice to meet you.”

These were, after all, the greetings that should have happened last night.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Hiyako Tsurara
    Morning Phase

"Is that so...?"

Upon hearing your response, Masaki Taichi returned to a more relaxed stance. Ultimately, he is still the same rebellious young boy who isn't in the least amazed by the idea of having to oppose an entire gang of Yakuza men by himself. It's an arrogance that is not born from the possession of an extraordinary power but rather the determination to become an obstacle to those that do not stand on the same side as he is. To the average onlooker, that reckless behavior of his that constantly seeks to clash with those around him would surely appear to be pointless, but to you it's something to be acknowledged, even if dealing with the boy may be a little bit of a pain.

"I'll keep it in mind."

And so, with this, that feeling is mutual. The tension that existed between the two of you only moments ago is washed away, being replaced with a similar yet very different kind of air. There is no doubt in your mind that the boy thinks differently, that he would never allow himself to lose a finger to one of your men, so him complying to your request without uttering a single word against it, implies that the respect that you have earned is enough to guarantee that he'll do his best to behave while you are around.

Despite showing outstanding swordsplay last night, your instincts aren't wrong when they tell you that he's more bark than bite. In this world filled with supernatural freaks, he's just a pawn at best. In comparison, what little you know about his sister is sufficient to place her on a much higher pedestal.

However, there is one thing that you have misjudged, one that is only spotted by your critic eye after closely examining the facade he uses in a conversation. A fact, a secret, that out of those present in this household, only you would be able to unveil with just a glance.

Masaki Taichi is, like many others who've been blessed with supernatural powers, a killer much like yourself. Granted, it's impossible to know the circumstances behind each case, whether the act was voluntary or in self-defense, or how many times has that sin been committed in the past. But within those eyes hides the willpower to repeat that action if necessary.

To cut through whatever stands in the way, be it man or beast, regardless of the consequences it will inflict on the attacker.

"I'm Masaki Taichi. I would like my sister to remain uninvolved with the Japanese Mafia, so I'll make an effort not to rely on you too much from now on." Having delivered a satisfactory introduction in his own way, it doesn't take long for the teenager to switch his expression to one of deep concern. "But... That's even more of a reason to find a way and get the hell out of here as soon as possible, isn't it? Nothing is to be gained from staying... Unless..."

There is a brief pause in which Taichi considers a small, unlikely possibility, but he soon shakes his head in denial.

"No one can make us responsible for what's happening. We have no obligation to stay; someone else will fix it. It should be no different for you.You saw that thing last night... Get out of here before you get hurt."

The boy's stance on the matter is both sound and firm.

For better or for worse, before you can share yours, a beeping sound leads you to pick up a call from your subordinates. The moment you do...

"[...]oss! [...]me?[...] it...![...]"

---It becomes immediately clear that said call won't contain the words you were expecting to hear.

"[...]attacked[...]still heading[...]hurt[...]that?![...]Ahhhhhh-!!![...]"

What follows are screams and violent car steering, before the call ends abruptly, a premonition of the fate of your agents already within your imagination.

"...? Is everything alright...?"

Taichi, who has been unable to hear anything given the prudent distance between the two of you, is beaten by curiosity and asks, already suspecting something may have gone wrong.

But your eyes focused on your phone, which all of a sudden, decided to beep furiously.

25%

23%

21%

... It's battery is being drained rapidly.

What the hell...?

Blog Entries
    Yamashita Hiro
    Morning phase

The problem with dealing with a liar....a good one, was not everything they said was untrue. Just as in Poker, someone who knew how to truly play the game played more elegantly then pretending to have a bad hand when they had a good one or pretending to be strong when they were weak. You had to take each statement like you would a separate hand. Decide if the signs pointed to a carefully fabricated fiction or an even more intricately crafted truth. Hiro was only willing to put assassin's claim of pure and unbridled self interest into the firmly truth category. everything else went into folders with names like "doubt" or "need to verify." One pr two of his remarks was filed firmly under "He is just making shit up."

Incidentally, that was the one where his statement about not remembering details of his contract went. If that wasn't a total lie, at the very least he was going out of his way to avoid talking about his likely correct speculations on the particulars.

Whatever, chat with an assassin you are gonna get some obfuscation. It was in their blood. Assassins couldn't be trusted. That's why they were assassins.

"OK, I'll bite," Hiro said, mucking another below average hand.

"If curiosity is the same as being power hungry, then there is nobody who seeks power more then I. And I'll admit, now I'm curious. You said you can 'steal' one of those things? Those do not appear to be the shadow servants that I have studied. Who would we be stealing from? To take by force implies some sort of transfer of ownership. Secondly, this ritual, what are the particulars? In theory if the shadow process is an over emphasis of negative emotions then either removal of such or the addition of an equivalent level of positive energy seems plausible, but we mages are not known for unending cheerfulness or optimism. My studies on Servants note a catalyst is traditionally involved in the invocation, I wonder if something similar is the key here."

Hiro's train of thought had run away from him a bit. He couldn't help it. Careful as he was, when he was thinking things through he had a worrisome tendency to become lost in thought, neglecting outside stimuli.

"Oh, and speaking of whatever led to the little scare from earlier, any idea what this is?" Hiro added after a moment, revealing the strange device he had pocketed earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Yamashita Hiro
    Morning phase

"Huuh?"

From the very beginning, Assassin suspected that you were more than just a clueless, frail-looking Magus. Even so, your innocent-like appearance somehow managed to lure him away from the truth hence why, at some point, he just convinced himself you were just a tad more knowledgeable than the rest. How mistaken he has been... The torrent of questions fired from your mouth like machine gun bullets are either those of a genius or someone who has a firm grasp of the mechanics that surround the Holy Grail War. Hell, part of that information may even exceed his own personal knowledge on the topic. So, somewhat dumbfounded by this revelation, the Servant stared in silence, unsure how to organize the information he has gathered and present it in a way which would not make him look inferior in any way to the ones he is interacting with. It's no use in hiding that the thought of lying has always been there, lurking somewhere in his mind, whispering sweet tempting voice to his ear. After all, what is a selfish man without his own cowardice? And what are lies, but the treacherous tools of a coward...?

The truth, however, is that it's not that easy. It's not like he is bound by a Command Seal to do as his Master has told him to, but one cannot shoot lies left and right without a proper understanding of the context that surrounds them. In other words, even if he could find a reason to deceive your group, he still needed said lie to be believable, believable enough that you wouldn't consider a theory to be tested the next time you find the time, but instead an absolute certainty that must be trusted like a believer trusts in their God's existence. So, defeated, Assassin delivers a shrug as he lets go of his cards, leaving Luna and Theressa as the sole survivors of this round.

"I am the Old Man of the Mountain. Don't confuse me with that other guy who's supposed to have an answer for each and every one of your questions." Hassan says, urging you to drop your thought-processing speed a little. "It's been less than a day since this whole incident started and I am not the Mastermind. I get the point: You are not just some naive fool who's still in their mother's womb. So here is my first piece of advice for you:"

Assassin's sharp, piercing glare can be felt straight through his mask.

"Throw all that knowledge out of the window and start again. This is just me speaking my mind, but I think these sort of events have more exceptions than they have rules. If you use someone else's findings as a guide, you'll end up lost before you know it, so just turn the page and start over, unless you feel like falling into the abyss after taking one big leap of logic."

Having said that, the masked man relaxes a little, having conveyed his message clearly enough. Does this make him a cool, big brother figure? He doubts it, but the act was enough to satisfy his ego.

"That said... The mist has to be the best suspect we have at the moment. It might be a little early for assumptions, but if you want to put a name on who you are stealing this treasure from, 'The Mist' should serve as a good name as any. As for the exact method you'll be carrying this out..." The Servant makes a minuscule, yet deliberate pause. "I'd say the hardest part would be to create a path, a connection between you and the Blackened Servant. That is, you'll have to find a way to communicate with that which cannot normally speak and that includes making it acknowledge you, over all others. Positive Emotions, Negative Emotions... It hardly matters what you use so long as you can accomplish that simple, yet difficult part."

Your make an effort to recall your encounter with the Archer Class Servant at the park.

Far from being a docile animal, it showed hostility the moment you stepped into its territory, or rather, the moment the neutral territory where you stood became part of its territory. There was no moment of hesitation, no moment of interaction that did not include violence, and it was overall a miracle that you managed to escape the place alive. How on Earth are you expected to communicate with that sort of beast?

It sounded like the equivalent of foolishly placing your head inside the jaw of a lion and convince it not to bite the life out of you.

"There is no need for you to concern yourself with the rest. No, in fact, it's best if you don't know at all. The important part is to be prepared for the worst. I should be able to buy you enough time for you to do your part, but we're literally going against the unknown here and I am not exactly a Saber-class."

"A Saber-Class?"

Luna asks, after being forced to surrender her loot to the ludopatic nun. Reasonable, considering she's still behind in the conversation and a lot of terms and explanations easily fly over her head.

"Heroes of the past who have once wielded famous swords, that's how you usually identify a Saber-Class Servant. They also possess the 'strongest overall container', meaning they are highly adept at melee combat to the point that not even me," Is he trying to show off now, really? "Can hope to deal with them and emerge unscratched. I would rather avoid such opponent, for our own sake."

What Assassin is trying to tell you is that you need to be careful and think the whole operation through. While there are a bunch of factors that you cannot manipulate, there also quite a lot that you actually can, so you should use that to your advantage. No, you need to use them to your advantage if you want to be successful. If Magecraft itself is a sin, what you are trying to accomplish should be sacrilege of the highest level. Divine retribution is to be expected.

After the conversation reaches a stalemate, everyone thinking hard of a solution for the puzzle ahead of them, you casually bring up the device you found in the hallways and show them to the rest of the group. A second doesn't go by before the artifact is taken away from you in a swift and sudden motion. The culprit is no other than Theressa.

"That's mine! It's one of my special tools... What it does is a secret."

... You already have a pretty solid idea of what it does, though...

Now Theressa is looking at you inquisitively, as if to extract an answer from your very soul. That question being... 'Why is it that you have this...?'

Clearly, it appears she is not completely aware of everything that went on during the struggle that happened earlier.

"Oooops, I might have taken a couple without your permission." Assassin jumps out of the bed, slipping out of range in case retaliation were to come his way. "I do it sometimes, I can't help it. It's a part of me!"

You can already hear the sound of the invisible chainsaw in the nun's hand being started up...

Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Overlooking Fuyuki Bridge
    Morning Phase

---Her first thought was that her memory had been altered somehow.

It made sense in a certain twisted way considering the circumstances; she had been found outside the church cloaked in flames according to Caren, so someone would have had all the time in the world to twist her memories to fit their narrative, perhaps to the point where she hadn't actually destroyed the bridge at all and had simply dreamed it up, but...

Unlikely.

No, almost impossible.

While someone who could bypass her flames would easily be strong enough to also mess with her thoughts, she and the flames were connected on an intimate level, and she is certain, certain without a fraction of a doubt, that those flames had certainly consumed the majority of that bridge the previous night, thus...

An illusion perhaps?

This is supported by the sight of the Northern Lights in the sky, a too perfect image of a natural phenomena that is somewhat more rare in this part of the world... The idea that someone had actually rebuilt the bridge in it's entirety over the course of a few hours was laughable, a waste of precious magical energy if nothing else, thus, her mind settles on the bridge likely being a mage-crafted illusion or hallucination, a thing that had been placed there to keep up the appearance of "everything is fine," of course, judging by how Karen had talked about the current state of Fuyuki...

That conclusion to has holes, for one thing, everything is apparently going to hell already; if someone was going so far as to EMP the entirety of the city, then the idea of them trying to "cover something up" was also unlikely, as it appeared that they simply didn't care if the supernatural inhabitants of the city got an idea that something was going on within it...

It's not a subtle job, this is the start of an outright assault, of course...

"...Yeah, guess you can say we found the culprit."

...The cracks in the sky.

Also hint at the bizarre nature of this place, namely...

...What would be the point of simulating a crack in the sky? Even if the bridge itself was some sort of illusion -a possibility, but not a definite one- why would such a perfect image be ruined by something as bizarre as cracks? No...

No...

It's more like...

The sky ended at a certain point, like a glass dome had been erected over the entirety of the area, or...

Bounded Fields?

World-Egg Theory?

...There are an infinite number of possibilities, but all of them have flaws, all of them have weak points, much like the crack in the sky, but...

---Too far.

While her first instinct is to attempt to 'bring down the house' with a burst of the Mortal Flames, she decides against it after a moment... While the existence of a weak point implies that something might happen if she manages to strike it there, it's the sort of hail mary shot that -at least right now- seems like a waste of magical energy... If it is some sort of High-Thaumaturgy, then challenging it with the simpler forms of her flames wasn't bound to have a good response, in the best case, it'd just be a waste, and while she wasn't necessarily against wasting prana for clues from time to time, right now...

"Tch..."

Her reserves had dipped a bit lower than she'd have liked...

No chance to reabsorb the flames to offset the costs either, so...

...Damn.

What a pain...

"I'm going down to see if I can find where the kids went, stick close to me."

Might as well figure out how real that bridge was while she was at it, after all...

...She had no intention of going back into the water a second time.

Not until she could rip that fish out of the water and burn it on the Demonic Pyre.

...Yeah.

She was gonna nurse that grudge for awhile...

"...Don't go near the water either, and keep an eye out for shadows."

Much as Caren annoyed her...

The damn fish pissed her off a lot more...
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Yamashita Hiro
    Morning phase

A young boy leaned back in his chair, visibly forcing himself to take his foot off the gas. Having repeatedly met that which had been the subject of his studies was over stimulating, and he still had an adrenaline rush from his moment of panic earlier. Hiro didn't trust Assassin, but the masked man was right about one thing.

Research was not about jumping to the end goal. It was patient. Cold. Precise. At his fingertips were answers that Hiro had sought all his young life.

It was time to recenter himself and decide what, as a magus, was next worthy of further study.

Assassin probably believed it when he said considering past rituals were not of use here, but Hiro found himself still doubting such. Someone had already built upon the 5th holy war, utilized the imperfect system of class containers to hold parts of Legendary Souls. A system of gathering energy for the purpose of punching a hole to the Root by means of the Holy Grail. There likely were more analogues between the servant summoning system and the current battle. However it was not the only system for invocation of heroic spirits. Maybe, just as he himself was a weakened offshoot of something which had occurred during the Incineration, another was present. Instead of the Table, perhaps the mist served as a psuedo summoning catalyst...? One with more limitations then the fragment of a shield...?

Hmmm. Possible, but just a theory. And it had certain flaws to it. Why create a servant summoning system that appeared to be so erratic that your servants could be stolen? That seemed less likely then it was in fact a system of selection. The Grail of the 4th and 5th of fuyuki automatically selected its masters, though a command mantra could be gifted or forcibly taken. Other systems however had required significantly more effort, trials of character and perseverance. There was one thing that was not in doubt however. Most grail systems assigned the command seal when one possessed a servant. That clearly was not the case here. In other words, to act in this battle, one likely needed to have the specific servant they were assigned by this summoning system.

...Which brought to mind that Archer. looking back, the mist had coalesced around him and Luna...That suggested perhaps either he or Luna had a connection to it. And considering the jungle spirits reaction to it...?

Well, that was an interesting line of speculation! An Archer Servant would be most suitable. Hiro had no desire to achieve victory in a Grail war, but the chance to study a Servant and the master's bond would be highly useful. Archer's were Servants who were cerebral, tactical, independent but reliable. Yes, a good partner. The best Servants were the Knights. The worst class was of course, Assassins followed closely by Berserkers.

There was however one further question. A critical one in fact. Why the devil was an assassin Servant volunteering to assist in the acquisition of Servants. A war filled with masters and no Servants was a playground for an Assassin, to say nothing of the danger he, the self proclaimed mastery of selfishness would place himself in with such assistance. It wasn't worth asking. Clearly Assassin had some goal that could not be completed until the warriors of the Grail had assembled. In the 5th war, seven Servants were required to complete the ritual of True Magic. Something similar must be the case here as well.

Hiro had hoped to inquire about the nature of the battle, as a Servant in the war Assassin likely had some grafted in knowledge about the parameters of victory, however his line of inquiry was interrupted when something happened that had recently been occurring with disturbing frequency.

A fight began to start. For once it had nothing to do with him. Hell Hiro really wanted to just let it play out. Watching Theresa and assassin fight would be cathartic after the scare they gave him and yield some tactically useful data. However two problems emerged. One, he had plans with Theresa to meet Caren and at least supposedly Assassin might assist in contacting the Archer. Neither of which would be assisted by these to beating the piss out of each other.

Secondly....

Hiro didn't like seeing people get hurt. Mad or not, Hiro took pride in his name. Written Hiro, pronounced Hero. What was a Hero supposed to do when he saw needless violence?

"Peace Theresa! Please, hold yourself. I won't say I dont understand your anger. But you strike me as a woman of duty. And you promised you would take me and Luna to see Caren. Assassin may have wronged you, but no beating you dish out will change the way he acts. Heroic Spirits will always be who they are. That is why they are Servants. I will apologize on his behalf. There are two devices that I know of, both apparently intended to bind our temporary abodes." Hiro placed the one he collected into Theresa's hand. " I wont say no harm has been done, but at the least, nothing has been done that can't be taken back. And though we just met, if only for my sake, I pray you will still your anger. After all..."

With that, Hiro shrugged ruefully.

"After all....It's my name on the credit card that is going to end up paying for all the damages!"
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Shopping District
    Morning Phase

"..."

The scenery that welcomes you is not that far off from that of a zombie apocalypse movie. While the bridge somehow managed to retain its integrity, the same cannot be said about Shinto itself. The streets are devoid of life but they have a story to tell, a chaotic landscape where car alarms and the crackling sound of flame mix into the background. Eventually even the former is silenced. What's left is a place in complete disarray, things that are not where they are supposed to be, a graveyard of vehicles, clear signs of rioting and an overbearing sense of dread that doesn't let your heartbeat slow down its current pace, not even for a moment. With every second that goes by, you become more and more convinced that the theory you've had for a while now may actually be true, much to your dismay.

For countless years, the night has been associated with the occult. Shrouded by darkness, it's been easier for Mages and the like to act without exposing themselves to the eyes of the mundane citizens of Fuyuki. While business was not strictly limited to that time of the day, extra care was put in activities held in daylight, all to protect the secrecy of the hidden side of the world.

As it was to be expected, this problem also originated at night time.

However, the visual clues you are getting from the environment speak of a more recent conflict, one that might not have yet reached its conclusion. The overall feeling that you are getting is not that you have slept through a night of chaos and destruction, but rather that you've woken into a nightmare that it's still going on.

"..."

The inhabitants of Shinto have not entirely disappeared, either. While you have yet to see one roam the streets, you have spotted a few scattered survivors watching over from the safety of their shelters on your way here. Unable to understand what is going on, yet instinctively aware that it is dangerous to remain alone, they've begun to gather in small groups in order to support each other. That's the upside of the coin called 'humanity': A moment of crisis naturally brings people together and bonds forged amidst tragedies are undeniably strong. Yes, it's in these sort of events that humanity becomes a truly powerful foe for anything or anyone standing against it.

However.

Humanity is also a wheel that must remain in constant movement. It cannot sustain the status quo, no matter how peaceful and globally beneficial it might be. For the sake of moving forward, humanity is willing to repeat the same mistakes it has made in the past, making their history one big never-ending cycle. That's why you hope this situation can be solved in an appropriate amount of time. Putting the risk of exposing the existence of magecraft to the normal populace aside, this situation will not persist in the long run. The coin will be flipped to its reverse side and humanity will bear its fangs against itself. It will do anything in order to preserve their existence, going as far as to surrender their own future for the sake of extending the present for a little longer.

Always moving, always learning, always hiding the dirt under the carpet, always putting off responsibility until the final deadline.

That's the kind of monster humanity has become. No, the kind of beast it has always been.

As an Alayana, you know that all too well. As an Alayana, you know that fact will never change.

In the end, it takes about forty-five minutes to get to the Fuyuki bridge on foot. From up close, it looks different from the peerless structure you saw from the top of the hill as proximity allows you to appreciate a lot of new details. Like in Shinto, a good number of vehicles have been abandoned at the entrance and there should be more further ahead. But, while a battle may have ensued here last night, there is no trace of your fire ever coming in contact with your current surroundings. Your actions might have led to the collapse of a large part of the structure, that's the most noticeable part, but they also engulfed a good part that managed to stand firm, at least until you lost consciousness. Now, there is no burn mark compatible with your magecraft as far as the eye can see.

This is no illusion, either.

So, either someone replaced the entirety of the bridge overnight, or you are looking at something else entirely.

"Getting tired of that worried face... Perhaps it is about time you share what happened last night? I heard something about shadows and demonic fishes, but I know nothing of what went in between."

Then, as soon as that suggestion left Caren Ortensia's lips, a brief screech like sound is heard in the distance. What follows is...

"This is a message to all survivors. Please gather in front of Shinto's Center Building. The Mayor will give a speech addressing the current situation. Food and medical supplies will be given away. I repeat..."

Alicia Rosenkopf
    Morning Phase

"According to what I read... I guess you could think of them as three big canisters of fuel. When invoked, the unreal amount of energy contained within is spent at once in the form of a compelling order capable of allowing the Servant to perform an action that might briefly defy reason. I wouldn't call it a miracle or say it can accomplish 'impossible' things. No, most likely, it can only accomplish things that have already been proven 'possible'. Sometimes we can prove that something works in a certain way but we are unable to demonstrate it because we lack the means to conduct the respective experiment. In that sense, a Command Seal is like a Wild Card that takes over the place of the resource one is actually lacking. A philosopher's stone, if you will."

The more Tomomi talks, the more you become aware of how removed she is from the life she is supposed to live as a girl her age. Her vocabulary is rich like that of a full-fledged scholar and her knowledge is vast enough to match. When one takes into consideration that not only this is her first time interacting directly with a wielder of Command Seals, but she is also capable of reproducing all of this information from memory, it gives the impression that the younger Masaki sibling cannot be anything but a robot. Her wisdom is admirable, yet at the same time, a little bit scary.

"..."

Nodding, Tomomi confirms your theory. What happened last night, the reason Assassin was able to overcome Saber's ultimate attack, the architect of that outcome has been you, through the power of a Command Seal. For about a minute, she goes on about their importance as a limited resource and explains the theory behind their activation. The process is ultimately simple, requiring nothing more than the determination to do so.

"That was probably for the best. I don't want to downplay Assassin's prowess, but the class name alone implies its forte isn't exactly defense. Without that Command Spell, we would have all been goners..."

The little girl goes silent, as if to fully let the idea behind that statement sink. And then...

Then, all of a sudden, she throws her weight against you, hugging you tightly.

And though your eyes do not meet throughout the motion, it quickly becomes evident that there are tears welling up in her eyes.

"I am sorry, Alicia! I cannot save you-!"

The tone of her voice cements it, she is about to burst into tears, if she hasn't already.

Naturally, this leaves you paralyzed. It hasn't been an entire day since the two of you met, but your first impression of Masaki Tomomi was that of an incredibly intelligent and strong-willed girl. Be it in the battlefield or outside of it, up until now she managed to maintain a level head when you couldn't. If someone has been your pillar in this short amount of time, it has been her. Seeing her like this leaves you speechless, digging a metaphorical hole into your chest.

"I want to help you, but I can't do it-! I want to stay, but I know that's simply not allowed-!"

The Holy Grail War.

A conflict that takes many forms, yet always promises a tragedy.

Neither of you has been unlucky enough to experience it in the past.

But Tomomi, unconsciously, automatically and without the need of a complete database of information, has already calculated the odds of you making it through the end in one piece. Needless to say, those odds are as low as your chances to win the lottery, if not lower.

Perhaps that's why this situation is affecting her more than it is affecting you. She has a firmer grasp on reality than you do.

But...

Even so, there is something else. This is not the sort of spur of the moment reaction that one would expect from a girl with a personality like hers. Something must have triggered it. Something... Personal. It wouldn't be unthinkable to believe that, buried in Tomomi's mind, there is a scene that is marking the way she behaves in the present.

"I am sorry, Alicia, but I just can't put my life at risk anymore...! I can't save you, I can't save you-!"

Whatever burden rests on top of those tiny shoulders must be immense.

Though you cannot see it, through you cannot understand it, you can feel the pressure it exerts over its victim.

Her sins might be just as heavy as the sky that the titan Atlas was forced to support.
    Last edited by hero; March 15th, 2020 at 10:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Alicia Rosenkopf
    Morning Phase

As Tomomi's arms wrapped tightly around her Alicia felt a wetness seeping into her chest. Tears? She was taken aback by the thought. In their brief time together Tomomi seemed like such a tough and strong-willed girl that Alicia could hardly believe she was even capable of tears. Yet her faint heaving breaths and the way Tomomi's chest trembled betrayed she was indeed crying, or at least, in the act of fighting back tears.

Alicia didn't fully understand Tomomi's words, nor could she know the true immensity of the burden the other girl was forced to shoulder. But she knew one thing. Her friend was in pain, and it was her job to comfort her. So, reaching out with one hand, she patted Tomomi gently on the top of her head. The gesture was like that of a gentle older sister consoling a crybaby younger sibling. Given the two were around the same age, it could come off as somewhat awkward or even patronizing. Nevertheless, the good intentions behind Alicia's gesture were felt clearly by Tomomi.

"There there," Alicia spoke soothingly. She remembered how her grandma used to comfort her when she'd woken up from a bad dream and did her best to channel that. While continuing to pat Tomomi's head, she wrapped her other arm around the girl's back and pulled her closer, deepening the hug. "I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but you don't need to worry about me. I've been on my own for a while now, so I'll be fine if you have to go away. I don't expect you to put your life at risk for me," Alicia went on, flashing her best attempt at a reassuring smile. "Besides, I have Assassin now, so I'm not alone anymore."

Alicia may be naive, but she wasn't stupid. She knew that Tomomi's words might very well be their last goodbyes assuming she managed to escape from Fuyuki in one piece. Although she'd only just met Tomomi last night, Alicia already considered her a close friend, so the thought of never seeing her again pained her from the bottom of her heart. Even so, Alicia felt it was better to put on a brave face to reassure the other girl rather than show her own insecurities. Judging by Tomomi's tensed posture, she already had her own burdens to carry without needing to pile any more upon her plate.

And besides, Alicia wondered if escaping Fuyuki might be harder than it sounded. She got the sinking feeling that none of them might be able to get away until whatever was going on here was resolved...

Yamashita Hiro
    Shinto - Love Hotel district
    Morning phase

Theressa Russo was not as visibly angry as your words made her out to be. Her demeanor was calm even as the air around her was charged with hostility. Still, that didn't mean that she would not start a holy war in this room over the theft of her beloved artifact. In fact, from the looks of it, she seemed to be more in tune with the Old Testament way of doing things so... So maybe it was your words that fell short to describe her silent wrath? Scary as the thought might have been, you have somehow managed to direct her attention towards yourself, before sharing a few reasons why following that course of actions is not exactly a good idea. Since then, things have calmed down and returned to normal, or as normal as they can be under these circumstances.

"Ah, I-I apologize... I... I understand. I am sorry-! I thought you might be just another unworthy heretic, but if you can take a step forward and make such meaningful sacrifice like that, then..."

The calm and collected nun from a few moments ago is gone. The more you interact with this girl, the more you become convinced that her emotions are like the turbulent waters of an untamed river: Everchanging and, in some cases, unpredictable. There are some aspects that you can understand and anticipate, but it wouldn't surprise if she came to you and confesses that she has been diagnosed with some variation of the Dissociative Identity Disorder.

"Caren, I've found him." Turning from the group, Rossi begins talking to herself again. "The man capable of handling all of our debt."

If she puts it that way...

It doesn't matter if she's faking, a part of you can't help but to fear for your own future.

-------

The group takes a few more minutes to prepare themselves. During this time Luna and you are given the mission to watch over Assassin as Theressa gets dressed as 'he's the kind of man who would shamelessly peek on women changing', not to mention his skill suit is almost tailor made for the task. Fortunately, the Servant complies and all goes well, although a part of you feels like the masked figure was inches away from giving to his urge, just for the sake of showing that you are powerless in front of him in that regard. After the nun is done changing, you all head downstairs towards the exit. Surprisingly, the clerk is still where you saw him last time, with the only difference that there is now a shotgun and a box of shells resting on the desk directly in front of him. Deep down, you feel like he would be safer if you take him with you, even if he's just a civilian, but he insists that he'll be fine as he thanks you for your concern and for your patronage.

You are a man of word, after all. You promised to pay for the damages the hallways have sustained and so you do. Now the doors of this fine establishment will be forever open for you...

-------

Outside is like hell on Earth.

Pretty much everyone is surprised how much Fuyuki has changed overnight. The city is a complete disarray and the streets have become a graveyard of abandoned vehicles that have long lost their lives. The existence of magecraft and other supernatural phenomena is supposed to remain secret. A good number of organizations go extremes to ensure things stay that way. So it is a little bit baffling to wake up and see the amount of destruction present in the environment. It is almost as if you have awakened in the distant future, some time after the apocalypse. Shattered windows, devastated houses, buildings that no longer stand upright, a rather darker-than-expected sky, and a feeling of dread and desolation so intense that the absence of people to crowd the streets in itself is upsetting.

"... Wha..."

Even Luna, someone who has lost her memory and someone who might not belong to this era at all, cannot hide her shock at the sudden development. Though she is noticeably taller than yourself, she unconsciously move behind you, afraid of what might lurk ahead. In contrast, Theressa does not let fear get the best of her. Naturally, she's surprised and concerned as well but, being an exorcist, her upbringing has prepared her psyche for any sort of situation. Finally, there is Hassan-I-Sabbah, who is the least affected by the circumstances.

"The 'Area of Effect' seems to be expanding rapidly. Alarmingly so..."

Previously, the meeting at the Church was pretty much an appointment, something you had to do, but not a thought with a strong presence in your head, not with all these breakthroughs that you have made ever since you arrived. Now, though? Reaching the Church is quickly escalating in the priority list as you slowly begin to become aware of the severity of the situation. A storm is coming, a storm different from the ones that the word is used to describe. And though your heart might desire it, though your curiosity cannot help but to be drawn to it...

Everyone knows that one cannot study a natural disaster if one is swallowed and never comes back alive...

And now, your self-preservation instincts are begging you to either search for a solution to the problem...

... Or to cut your loses and get the hell out of the city.

Before it is too late.

-------

The group slowly advances, and it doesn't even take a minute for them to halt their movement once more. The reason for that is simply, as they move, the environment continues to change. Brought to existence by what can only be described as an act of magic, words and images imprint themselves on the ground, on large objects around you and on the walls of building themselves. And the images are not all drawings in their entirety, no, some of them look more like actual photographs...

Unfortunately, a good number of them are too dark for you to properly notice what they are supposed to portray.

But for something this big to happen in plain daylight and with no real explanation...

That is enough for you to make you a believer.

A note written in a sheet of paper brought by that mysterious wind now rests at your feet

"Following several months of intensive training my body is starting to be what it once was. I was a good Magus, but the Clock Tower ordered my execution with no reason given. They tortured me for days and forced me to give a false confession.

But on the morning of my execution, a miracle happened. That organization helped me out, giving me a second chance at life. The only thing they asked was for me to join their ranks."

"I ended my vacation short and returned to the HQ office. It looks like my unit has been called into action. We'll be taking a flight to Japan. I've never been in Fuyuki before, but some of my teammates claim it's not the first time a disturbance occurs over there. Granted, it's been so long since one happened, that they might all just be rumors of the past, stories passed from generation to generation.

The Mages' Association maintains several paramilitary units to counter acts of terrorism and prevent V.I.P abduction. In addition, they hire Magi like me to take care of situations that have gone beyond their control. Situation where a Sealing is a no go, where the threat has become so immense that the only solution is to deal with the cause and then destroy all information pertaining it.

I am currently a member of the latter".

"We were supposed to stay behind and watch over the outside, but it was pointless. In the end, that thing swallowed us like a black hole.

Out of the thirteen that were with me, I only managed to find one. And by the time I did, the life had already escaped his eyes. Maybe the rest 'spawned' somewhere far away from here, or maybe we are just in the same place and unable to meet, as time and space work in strange ways here. Or maybe they are all dead and I am the last one alive.

I've sustained a few injuries myself.

Considering how many creatures dwell down here, I wouldn't be surprised if they bit the bullet already.

Ahhh...

Given a choice, I would have rather been executed. The death row is a heavenly asylum compared to this place.

It might be a wise choice to take the easy way out. I've cast several harmful spells at others in the past.

This will be the first and last time I fire one at myself..."

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hiyako Tsurara
    Morning Phase

She’d have many things to answer to Taichi’s various asseverations. Whether it is to call him naïve or to ask him a few things she’s curious about.

But as she picks up the call and listens to its contents, and then sees the battery of her phone get drained at an absurd speed, she forgets the conversation momentarily. She just stared at her phone wide-eyed, pale, and twitching.

“What the fuck…?”

Just what the hell was going on? What could explain all this? A city-wide reality marble? Did the whole of Fuyuki get jettisoned into another world? Her brain asked questions that had no answer as, for the first time in her whole life, Tsurara showed overt panic and confusion.

It was, however, a brief moment. The moment her phone’s battery hit the 20%, she opened a call to one of her other subordinates and quickly tapped her finger on the phone, sending a morse code signal that the Kuroitsume often used to issue quick orders. It meant that they were to stay in position, as well as relay the message to others as well. Moving about in the city was definitely suicide, given what was going on. Furthermore, if they remained in place, she’d have an easier time calculating their locations.

“Masaki.” She turned her phone off completely to try and keep as much battery as possible, then turned to address the boy. “You should go get your sister and…”

She paused. And what? Tell Tomomi’s friend to come with her, Assassin in tow? That’d be the most reasonable course of action, ignoring the option of just staying in the safe place instead of wandering around murdertown like a lemming. But, the one who apparently held some sort of magic covenant with Assassin was a little girl… she didn’t know how far away this creature could go from their Master. Plus, she didn’t trust either of them, and if it came down to it, the presence of the Master would be needed to control the creature, one way or the other…

No. Ultimately, she couldn’t just ask a little girl to go fight those creatures outside. Forget it.

Damn it.

“…and remain here. Do not go outside. My subordinates are being attacked. I have to go.” She turned around. “I’ll be back later. And turn off your phones, the batteries are getting drained really fast.”

With these words, she broke into a dash, blurring out the room with breakneck speed. No time to lose or give any more explanations. No time to make a coherent strategy. She’s just not being given enough time. It is suicide.

But she can’t leave her subordinates to die.

Her headache is just getting worse.

Damn brat may be naïve but he has a point. There’s no reason for her to stay in this gods-forsaken city. She’ll get her subordinates and make her exit. It is one thing to risk her life for others, but a different thing to risk the lives of the men and women under her for others. She has neither the obligation nor responsibility of doing the later.

Tsurara had no idea of how many of her people had made it to the inn, nor did she have the time to look. She barged out of the building after grabbing her sword, ignoring anyone who may have tried to stop her. Making her way to the street, she looked around. Remembering to which group the one who had called her belonged to, and to which area it had been assigned, then guesstimating where they may have moved to rush towards the inn, she made a decently accurate guess of their current location, and ran towards it at breakneck speed.

She knew how laughable her actions where, but the essence of ‘Hiyako Tsurara’ as a person closed off any other options.

Damn it all.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Hiyako Tsurara
    Morning Phase

"Oi-! What's going on...?! Tch, you!"

Taichi's complaints are left behind as you sprint towards the exit at breakneck speeds. He be capable of feats that involve supernatural speed as well, but here the element of surprise has worked in your favor, leaving the boy to bite the dust. This is not the time to be overjoyed by your clear victory, however, as the words spoken by your men have leave it quite clear what sort of situation the town is in. Like a mother worried over her children, you venture into the streets unprepared, a testament of how much value your underlings are to you. Without even needing to head downhill, you scout one of your subordinates, limping its way towards the inn. His hair is a complete mess, as is his usually impeccable attire, and he is wounded, as evidenced by a big maroon stain on his white shirt. However, it doesn't look like his life is in an immediate danger, and he should be able to get to the Inn without assistance. There, he would get treated by the maid, who has already proven herself a good medic. Nevertheless, you approach and intercept your man. He has the information you need to find the rest of your team and whatever clue he provides may make the difference between life and death. In your frenzy, you fail to notice the lifeless look on his eyes, you only do so when it's too late...

No, Hiyako Tsurara should have been able to react nonetheless.

But for a moment, she hesitates.

"...!"

Grasping that opportunity the man throws all of his weight against you, disturbing your balance and sending you down to the ground in an instant. No, that wasn't just his weight alone... As a member of the Kuroitsume clan, his physical strength is outstanding, enough to overpower you under these circumstances. You are even forced to let go of your sword -as it is useless at this range- just so you can stop his hands from reaching your body. Now that he is on top of you, you are finally allowed to see the entirety of his face. Nothing of the man you knew remains in the mad expression of that blood-thirsty beast.

Power/CQC Challenge
    ... Success!
    That realization becomes the beacon that restores your strength.

You prepare your counter even as you do everything in your power to defend yourself, and then you strike when his guard is at its weakest. The kick you deliver not only throws him a couple of meters away from you, it should also be potent enough to leave him out of breath for a minute. In that case, you should be able to recover comfortably and have enough time to develop a plan of action. After all, deep down, a part of you still wanted to believe that this strange behavior is only momentary.

The next thing you know, you have already slain the monster that was once your underling.

The attack that should have left him paralyzed did not, the recovery that should have been smooth was not, and your instincts proved to be faster than your brain. You just picked up the sword and, in a clean and swift motion, you put him out of his misery.

"..."

Just what on Earth is going on...?

-------

Interlude - White Terror

"Tch... Talk about bad ways to die..."

The man bearing a Yakuza get-up tosses the empty firearm aside and unsheathed a beautiful oriental sword. Like him, many others do the same. It's their last stand against forces that they cannot match. Granted, having survived this long is already a feat worthy of praise. The average human would have ceased to be in less than three seconds, but they have stood their ground for over ten minutes. And yet... Though they have been trained in the art of combat, drawn-out battles like these do not suit them. Little by little, the group has been losing their momentum and the eventual casualties only added to their lack of power.

"We are surrounded...-!"

The other man is talking about the horde of seemingly undead civilians who has managed to not just encircle them, but also block the alternative escape routes they've tried to create. Now that they are down to their melee weapons, they lacked the tools to create a new one and so they merely stand there, rejecting their fate.

"Nevermind that!" A third man yells, as he kicks a zombie into the horde in a desperate attempt to hold back their advance. "Where is That thing-?!"

Right, this situation wouldn't have become so much of a problem if they had not been forced to use up a lot of their resources on that monster. After a good barrage of concentrated firepower, they managed to draw it back to the shadows, but its presence still lingers in the air around them, even now. It's a feeling of terror and dread that cannot be put into words, but it is palpable enough to let the prey know that the hunter is lurking nearby.

The ghouls around them are ants in comparison to that thing. Such is the case that being devoured by a horde of undead becomes appealing when compared to being captured by it.

"Over here."

The oldest of them calls out, as he makes masterful use of his blade to pave a path that won't last long, but may in fact be their only chance of escape. Sure, their boss told them to hold the line and remain in one place, but this isn't a safe spot. They cannot remain here. Now there is a chance before their eyes to turn the tables. It goes without saying that they'll take it without reserve. But then, as if to mock their effort...

---Hell sends a demon to stand in their way.

*Crash*

The car succumbs under the weight of the creature that, out of nowhere, landed on top of it. Kneeling down, that creature looks almost humanoid in shape, but once it stands upright, the difference in size becomes evident, and the same can be said about the mutation its body has suffered. Long sharp claws, rotten skin, and a towering height of over three meters. A single slap of that beast would be enough to break every bone in a normal person's body.

But more outstanding is its face.

... Or rather the lack of thereof.

Where there should be eyes, there is none, where there should be a nose, there is none, where there should be a mouth... There is none.

Where there should be a expression...

There is only white.

Interlude Out
    Last edited by hero; March 21st, 2020 at 11:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Shopping District
    Morning Phase

Quote Originally Posted by Caren
    "Getting tired of that worried face... Perhaps it is about time you share what happened last night? I heard something about shadows and demonic fishes, but I know nothing of what went in between."
    "Went to pick up the kid at the airport, ended up grabbing his teacher too since he offered to let him stay. Drove across the bridge, got assaulted by some sort of shadow being... Seemed like a Ghost-Liner type spirit, but the power was far beyond the norm; things got heated during the battle -as they always do- and I wound up destroying the bridge trying to take it out. Fell in the water, found the kids on a raft a bit later, and then I got eaten trying to fight a giant demonic fish so the kids could get away. Flames didn't bother it too much, so it can't have been any normal manifestation... Phantasmal Beast perhaps?"

Blunt.

While many might go out of their way to make themselves look better inside of the confines of their stories, Aya doesn't really see any point in doing so; to Caren her strength is already proven, there is no need to embellish anything for her sake, she'll understand the gravity of the situation regardless of how blunt or short she keeps her response...

Because, to be frank, there shouldn't be anything in the modern era capable of resisting her flames, even the Ghost-Liner had succumbed to them to a degree, thus, if something that could defeat them so decisively had been made manifest, it could only be a monster of a much-higher tier of being, something from the ancient past, the lost Reverse-Side of the World...

In essence, there were true monsters wandering around the city now.

Still...

It was good to see that the civilians were doing alright, at least as far as the word 'alright' could stretch in this sort of scenario; a number of them are clearly still alive in spite of the rampant damage being done on the city, and they had not yet devolved to the point of forming mobs or riot groups... Things were still at the level of 'support groups,' people coming together to support one another for the sake of getting through a difficult time, however...

That stage does not last forever.

If things persist for too long, these same groups of humans will become antagonistic of each other, or move to mindlessly destroy some other sort of power that they find "responsible" for their current predicament; that is how humanity operates, often enough, they are only as good or moral as the world allows them to be, they can revert to primal behaviors alarmingly quickly for the sake of simple survival... But that is to be expected, Humanity always finds a way to win no matter what, if they can take the high-road many will, but if it comes down to it, if you push their backs right up against the wall, then everything becomes game.

Because humanity has to win.

They will always win, no matter what they have to do to accomplish it; it is that same tenacity that drove the supernatural into hiding, mages can dress it up all they like as preserving mystery, but there was certainly an aspect of cowardice in how they also hid themselves from the world, still-

"This is a message to all survivors. Please gather in front of Shinto's Center Building. The Mayor will give a speech addressing the current situation. Food and medical supplies will be given away. I repeat..."

-messages like this are concerning, because...

It is more than likely some form of trap.

Caren's earlier words had implied that technological equipment was failing, and yet the higher-ups in the city's government were able to continue functioning as normal? Claiming to have some information on the current situation, drawing people to a point in the center of town rather than encouraging them to evacuate... There would be benign reasons for this, such as strength in numbers, or the belief that they can form a shelter that can hold out, however...

Why gather everyone in one area for a speech, when you clearly have the ability to inform the public from a distance?

The goal, obviously, is to draw everyone to one place.

Humans can't stand fear, and all fear roots itself in the unknown; the desire to know and the desire to see will draw even the unwilling from where they are now, and put them wherever the Mayor wants them, and...

---Right now, there is little she can do about that eventuality.

As powerful of a magus as she was, the nature of all of this seemed to imply some sort of large scale organization was behind it all; she couldn't take out an entire group by herself -at least not without resorting to drastic, scorched earth esque measures- especially when her prana was running lower than usual, half of her trumps were gone, and the opposing force -one of them anyway- was capable of summoning creatures forth from the lost ages, no...

She doesn't have enough inherent power, or information about the situation, to justify walking into what would probably be a trap; nor does she have the time to convince the others here not to go.

The desperate have no reason to listen to her -other than perhaps fear- so...

To that end...

"Anyway, I guess we'll check their homes next. Come on."

...She decides to stay focused on her original goal for now; she needs to secure the kid's safety, and get in contact with the groups in the city. A number of them were bound to be observing the Mayor's event from afar anyway, after all, the Yakuza typically handle things through their own pathways...

Yes.

For the ultimate sake of the town itself... She has to be careful with how she acts and engages with potentially hostile forces, she can't ask recklessly, even if the trap itself seems clear as day to her eyes.

After all, if she goes down...

Then the Town loses not just it's Second Owner, but the Representative of the Church as well...

There won't be anyone swooping in to rescue anyone else...
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Yamashita Hiro
    Shinto - Love Hotel district
    Morning phase

Oh bugger.

The thought...and indeed the idea behind it may have been a bit culturally incongruent considering the young lads Japanese heritage, and yet, the English swear seemed most apt to sum up his sudden feelings of chagrin. True he had indeed diffused a potentially dangerous situation and yet...

Well, there was a difference between being wealthy and being fabulously, filthy rich. Well did a Yamashita know that difference too! For it hadn’t been so long ago that his family had stood at the far end of that difference! One need only to look at the family manor houses, the remaining priceless heirlooms therein to see what once, and not that long ago, had been a king’s fortune. But the majority of such had gone to purchase the jungle spirit which lay growling at his core, an omnipresent feeling of greed, hunger and burning avarice.

Earlier in the morning, he had chastened himself for over using his powers, his secret Magics and his power of the Remnant. Now perhaps he had to consider he was over relying on his family’s generosity. Because all their hopes rested within him, his parents could not refute any request they could grant, but that in and of itself lay an onus upon his honor. To not ask that which they could not grant. What man or woman of honor and pride would spit at the very name in which he or she took pride? So thus, the boy had to resolve to be more frugal.

...A resolution that was broken faster then a New Year’s pledge.

Death.

Blood.

Pain

For once the psychological feeling of the fire demon leaping to four feet and snarling against the shackles of his mind brought no sense of aggression towards him. It was during moments like this that the solitary became the pack, and the fangs and claws of the boy and of the spirit turned as one to the outside world.

He wasn’t used to being surprised. The enhanced senses granted to him by the fusion had always lent him a level of awareness and foreknowledge that had served him well, but the small boy was just as surprised as everyone else was upon seeing the breath of destruction and sacrifice that had boiled over this once idyllic town.

No doubt Theresa’s trinket has kept him from realizing such was occurring over night, and his surprise and dismay at being volunteered as a source of disposable income had distracted him from sensing such as they had walked the hallway out.

The thought occurred to him that he should leave. Here and now, vanish into the night. Cowardice or prudence? The answer probably lay somewhere in between the two. To be a magus was to gamble your life, but deciding when to play your cards was the difference between a true practitioner of the art and a pretender.

If Yamashita died, then Yamashita would die.

His family name, their craft, the dreams of a proud and patient thousand years. Sure their might still be people named Yamashita, but what they were would pass into time and never again rise. Even as he had an obligation to spare his parents what losses they could not withstand, he also had to recognize that he himself was such a loss. With the death of Hiro, would be the death of his family.

if Yamashita died, the Yamashita would die.

And yet...Hiro looked to his side. A greedy and selfish masked man stared back. A Servant or the Holy Grail War. A Heroic Spirit given life through the imperfect grail container. Hiro’s brother, not through blood but in meaning. Two imperfect containers for that which should never again be.

How could a mage see such and not be consumed by greed?

Perhaps a better man could. But Hiro couldn’t, and that was why the serious young boy had to break his resolution so quickly. When so much rode on the line, certain sacrifices had to be made on the pit of battle, and the first of certainly many had to be Hiro’s desire not to push his family’s generosity to the brink. If he survived, if he succeeded? They would profit far more then they invested. If he died, he would not have to hear complaints, and they were doomed anyway.

The whole town was covered in the Mist. If this wasn’t the same fog that had been the strange cat’s home, there wasn’t anything to differentiate it. It was like...being trapped in a poem of Shakespeare, the realm of the fairies. Magic and hedonistic pleasures mixing with the forbidden fear and joy of darker pursuits. Even Hiro’s eyes when flickering gold couldn’t pierce the veils of shadow and mystery.

Let me out...they can’t hide from me...

The jungle spirit probably wasn’t wrong. There was a difference in what a boy of a score and a portion years could do even with the same mage craft, and what could be done by a Legendary Soul. If in control, if inbound by Dracul, she could see through to truth.

Normally, Hiro would respond by tightening its shackles. Now...?

...all in good time.

More and more signs of rampant and unchained magecraft made manifest revealed themselves. Half formed mystic circles. A sharp scent on the air, like ozone implied hurried magecrafts readied in self defense, futilely so...

And blood. Always blood. The blood of a magister had a particular zest to it. Delicious and lively, the same properties which allowed a man to cast with his semen or a witch to cast with her moon cycle blood left tale tell clues for those who could sense mana. A grim letter cast itself for Hiro’s inspection. Worthless mage who lost hope. For a magus who followed magic, giving up, admitting there was nothing left to do, nothing left worth gambling on, ending your dreams...?

There was no greater sin.

”Steady your hearts,” Hiro said through clenched teeth. “And do not look away. This is the suffering of a holy grail war. Luna. I promised to help you. You can try to run, but I doubt you can. The timing here to me suggests that you are a part of this” The boy sucked in a ragged grasp.

Were those...tears in his eyes? Were those the trembling and quivering knees of the resolute mage whose soul bore the ancient power? Did his voice truly quaver so?

”I am...sorry.”

“Agent of the church. I’ll hear your counsel now, if it’s offered. I think we should hurry at once to your master. But you know the land better. If you wish to try to aide the wounded, or seek better ground...now is the time for quick but wise decision making. Again, the lady Karen is likely the new supervisor. I suspect not only we will be making for her. And while I...

A gust of wind. A cry in the barely sunlit morning. A death rattle from one who had not been saved carried on mist dressed air. And once again it seemed like perhaps far to soon resolve had been breached. But nevertheless, he persisted.

”And while I don’t doubt she can defend herself, my understanding of the holy wars is that a common first step is to secure the one who rules over its functions for advantage. She may well be grateful for a few friendly faces at her side.”