Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Closure [IC Thread]

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interlude – The Monster, unleashed

When the half-blood was hit by the magus’ all-out attack, half of her icy mask had been blasted off, revealing the face beneath and the expression she was wearing.

And that was how the two men were able to know.

Yes.

Without a doubt, Hiyako Tsurara had gone quite mad.

Perhaps such a result was within the one-eyed man’s, who was using the false name of Kawamoto Yukata, calculations. One could say that given the deterministic nature of the result, this was fated. It was her destiny to go insane right here and now. Yeah, perhaps it was just as planned.

What had been it? Had it been the strain of a tense battle in which she had to employ every single instant to the maximum possible extent, even against an opponent much weaker than her, followed by the immediate use of her full power? Had it been the realization that she had been deceived all along, and that she hadn’t had any other option but to follow these lies, even while finding them dubious?

Or had it been the final realization that it had been her all along who had doomed humanity to a bad future, the ultimate responsible for all the death and destruction she had seen before being yanked from her time and thrown into this impossible situation?

Nobody, not even Tsurara herself, could tell what had finally driven her over the edge.

However.

Yes. There was a however.

Her single visible eye shined with a cunning light as she looked at the prone form of Yukata. Her distorted, ogre-like visage deformed further as a crazed smile surged across her face.

“It sure must have been fun for you. Successfully deceiving me like that. I’m sure you must be feeling quite satisfied with yourself right now, aren’t you~?” The tone of these words, although filled with danger and murderous intent, is almost even and rational. Too rational. A hybrid on the throes of madness shouldn’t be speaking like this.

There was probably a small misunderstanding. Something that hadn’t quite entered in the concept others had of Inversion Impulse and the madness that haunted those who had anything to do with demonkind. An error in the calculations, something that shouldn’t have happened in the first place, a factor that only one whose bloodline had somehow, for this moment alone, surpassed the limits of a human being.

Sheer, petty pride in oneself. An arrogance that went beyond all reason. A belief in one’s own way of doing things, a desire to be the image she wished to maintain.

Yes. Even at the precipice of madness.

----------------- Even now, the monster, Hiyako Tsurara, fought with her wits rather than with power alone.

“Idiot.” The words are spoken with almost happy spite. “You fucked up.”

Yukata’s mistake… if his intentions were to completely preserve the timeline, was bringing someone like Tsurara to this battle in the first place.

It has nothing to do with power, by itself, although a certain degree of power would be the minimum requirement.

It has everything to do with personality. Beings like Hiyako Tsurara, or Aya Alayana, are not beings that can be contained. Their sheer pride and the pettiness that came from a deep belief on oneself will push them way beyond the bounds of common sense. They’re not instruments that can be used and manipulated, because they will turn against those who do so in a heartbeat.

Taking people like these to this kind of situation is a big mistake. Manipulating them and predicting that their actions will go a certain way, that can work once. But afterwards, they will endeavor to turn the moment of triumph into the worst kind of nightmare imaginable. Out of offended pride, they would break their wielder into pieces.

It is worse than a zero-sum game. It was the equivalent of scoring a goal once in exchange for scoring ten own goals.

That was what Tsurara’s insane smile and what her words expressed.

The monster’s eyes fell upon the defeated figure of the old Tetsuro, frozen in space as he clutched the door, and then followed the man’s horrified sight to beyond it. The door disintegrated into dust, leaving the former teacher grasping empty space in the air. A gout of cryogenic flame strikes the shade beyond the very moment it was about to strike down a boy, leaving not even ash behind.

Tsurara calmly strolls onwards, the maddened eyes piercing the two men. Her mask falls apart in pieces, revealing the veiny face behind, the monstrous figure of an ogre from ancient Japanese myth. There is much information she can obtain of these men, she has the duty to interrogate them, but she doesn’t have enough time to do so and accomplish her objective at the same time.

She contents herself with walking up to Yukata, ignoring anything the man says. Right now, she’s deaf to words and reason. With a quick movement of her left hand, she dislocates both of the old man’s knees, painfully, before lifting him with utter ease and slinging him over her shoulder. He’d be interrogated. His hell was only starting. If he thought he could bring down the world without suffering none of the consequences, he was mistaken. He’d go through the exact same experience as his victims were about to.

With the same calm steps, she strolls past the frozen figure of the old Tetsuro, stopping briefly in front of him.

“My name is Hiyako Tsurara.” She whispers to him, a stone thrown into the pond of time, whose ripples are bound to expand across the timeline. Insurance for if ‘this her’ fails and perishes, although she believed herself to be already doomed in the first place.

She then proceeds into the room, sword in hand, prisoner over her shoulder, ice clinging to her figure, clad in cold flame, walking into view of the many students and the teacher frozen there, watching as a hole was poked into their world.

They all notice the foreign presence, the deity-like being who walks calmly, but whose presence is as violent as that of a bloodthirsty creature of myth, a deity of the Hindu, a Rakshasa from times immemorial. She stops in front of a certain redhead, and can almost feel her surprise as she recognizes what is happening in front of her very eyes, what the appearance of this intruder signifies, and the distant connection by blood they share.

Ah, yes. Tsurara remembered now. Her clan had made a habit of keeping track of all of the Aki family agents that were in the outside world, for one reason or the other. That is how she had been aware, long ago, of the disappearance of Aki Fumi, and all of her classmates. A report from long ago that clarified nothing because the Clock Tower had covered up the incident. She remembered the long list of names, who had vanished never to be seen again, and that now she knew had perished within the Dark World.

She looked at her distant relative briefly, then her eyes ran over the rest, stopping only at the younger Tetsuro, and the younger Haruka. So many supernatural beings in a single room. How utterly funny.

“You are a gaggle of fucking idiots.” Tsurara spoke, the calmness of her voice adding a brutal edge to her words.

“What you have done today, you’ll regret it. I can assure you. You’ll regret it again and again and again and again and wish you had never done something this incredibly stupid. Gods know I will.”

As the hole in the world expands, as people are being taken slowly into it, she lets her power go and fade, returning to her normal form. And now she’s just Hiyako Tsurara, and she’s dead tired, insane and wounded, carrying a prisoner and standing by force of will alone.

What she’s doing is suicidal. Perhaps that was the point. Perhaps after failing so spectacularly, now she wished for death, like the Aki Fumi of another timeline once did in the Dark World, seeking some sort of redemption in a sacrificial death. Who knows the answer of this question? Perhaps only Tsurara herself would.

All she knew is that it couldn’t be this simple. The words of this man had contained too much false information and deceit, but the opening of this world should have brought on a more gradual apocalypse, not something sudden that happened out of nowhere in a single night. So to understand what is going on, she must go into the Dark World and see for herself what she has to oppose.

The hole in the world expanded, and started absorbing her. Tsurara smiled as her body slowly disintegrated, to be taken to the other side.

Knowing fully well that she had signed her own death sentence. Knowing fully well that her efforts would end up in vain. Her actions couldn’t be called rational anymore. But once time travel had become a factor into this… her range of options had expanded, and she could afford desperate moves.

And so, the cycle of time spun, things repeating themselves once again, the Occult Club thrown into a world of death were the great majority of them would meet their fates at the hands of cruel monsters and psychotic, overly proud humans turned feral beasts.

Except for one change, one different factor that wasn’t there before…

“I wonder, how many of them will I be able to bring alive with me?” She asks idly, before disappearing.”

That now the monster, unleashed, was along the ride with them.

Interlude Out
    Last edited by RacingeR; December 18th, 2021 at 02:41 AM.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Assassin of the Distant Kingdom
    Shinto - ​Fuyuki's Central Park
    Night Phase

Weak.

Her estimation of the intruder is that he is intolerably weak. An existence barely worthy of the title of Servant. A King should rightfully overlook such a man, but there is another factor to Assassin that acknowledge him precisely because he is weak.

That is, she loves to play around with weaklings. Especially those who arrive bearing gifts.

The tree explodes in a shower of leaves. There is no resistance, no cry of pain or yowl of anger. Leaves drift down from above as the trunk groans and cracks and slowly breaks apart. It will fall in less than five seconds, and it will crush the unconscious human beneath it. Before then, Hassan will reach Hiro and rescue her, using the opening to retreat.

That opening never materializes. With a loud crunch the trunk is blown away, flying in the complete opposite direction.

Between the leaves, a familiar figure rises. It is the outline of a shadow that stoked the fear in Hassan's heart only minutes ago. Except this figure is different. It has a face, and eyes, and a mouth that curls up into a catlike grin.

"You want this thing, vulture?"

She lifts up the figure of Yamashita Hiro easily with one hand, clutching the boy by the neck.

"I don't dislike that greed of yours. After all, it brought me that delicious-smelling soul."

There is a difference, yes, between the angry shadow of before and the lucid Servant standing before him now. That difference is...

"We play by human rules. I believe it was called..."

The shadow from before had never looked down on him so.

"Catch."

In one motion, possible only through inhuman strength, Yamashita Hiro is thrown upwards at an angle, flying high into the night sky.

The rules of this game, of course, need no explanation.

How long will it take? Surely no more than five or six seconds. He will rise, and then he will fall, and at the end of that time, he will hit the ground and die instantly. The only ones capable of arresting that fall are the two Servants in the clearing. But of course, that requires using their own bodies to dissipate the force of gravity. Doing so will provide an opening the other can mercilessly exploit.

Five seconds. In that time, Hassan can try to drive away the bestial Servant with his own strength and secure Hiro. He can challenge the other Assassin in an aerial battle. He can retreat and give up on the game and Yamashita Hiro following his cowardly instincts. He can trade his the unconscious woman on his back for the boy. Or he can bet that this game is a bluff and the boy was never in danger. He can do many things, and he will be judged for each one of them by the laughing King.

Which answer will he choose?

Assassin of the Stray Path
    Miyama - The Sleeping Bishop
    Night Phase

It has been a long day filled with a number of reveals and intense experiences. It was only to be expected that your little Master would long for a good night's sleep. However, the same cannot be said about you. Though a fair share of your reserves has already been spent and a time of respite is advisable, you require no hours of sleep to operate at full efficiency the next morning. Your first thought was to stay next to your Master and look after her all night long, as there are no guarantees that something like what happened tonight would not repeat itself. The group initially marked the mist as the enemy, but as you pointed out, there are other dangers lurking out there. It might still remain unclear whether this is a war of some sort, but there are certainly foes out there who wish to erase this inn and its inhabitants from the map. Then, it is only natural to be concerned for your Master, who is both the strongest and the weakest link in the pair. But...

"..."

You are just wasting your time, merely standing here, aren't you? Though she's no more than a little girl, Alicia is putting all the effort she can muster in leading the group towards a more hopeful future. You might not be able to shine as much as she can, but there has to be a way to make yourself more useful without putting everyone at risk. Even if it turns out to be something casual and mundane, it would be better and definitely more entertaining than staying silent in one place.

"..."

Though you may be far from being known as the most social hero in the Throne, it's time to make and effort and get to know your environment better. That is, it's time to leave your Master side and take a little peek at the life of the other guests. Naturally, most of them must be asleep right now, but your class container gives you somewhat of an advantage at gathering information in this case. You may not even need to interact with others to learn a thing or two about them. And, if those are the ones who will also stand at Alicia's side from now on, it would be good to learn a little bit more about them.

Now then...

Who shall you look into tonight...?

Player's Choice
    1. The owner of the inn, Takagi Akane.
    2. The recovering Masaki siblings, Tomomi and Taichi.
    3. The stern looking maid, Sakaki Yuuna.

Make a brief post and choose, then a scene will play out-!
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Verde
    Night Phase

"Thank you."

With the return of your flames, the intoxicating feeling in your chest is alleviated somewhat. As a gesture for your good will, it appears that the girl has done something to ease the pain and the bring back air to your lungs. No, most likely, she would have done so regardless of your response.

"I've forcefully cut the source, but that doesn't take away the fact that you've been afflicted with a powerful curse. Try not to move too much, it'll be easier on you if you can calm your mind. Rest, and leave the rest to us."

The amount of confidence she exudes is almost overwhelming and not hard to confuse with an actual lie. Without a doubt, it's a lot easier said than done... With all that is at stake and the giant burden that has been placed upon your shoulders, to simply let go of that weight and entrust it to two strangers, the act is almost unbefitting of someone like you. And yet, there is something in her attitude that simply inspires one to believe in her.

If you had to compare it to something else, you'd likely use the term 'Motherly Resolution' as a close synonym.

There is, after all, a small sea of sadness hidden in those blind eyes as well, sorrow born from witnessing the suffering of someone else and not being able to do more at the moment. But that is understandable, as there is no time to treat your spiritual wounds any further.

"Shizuka."

She calls out, and at the same time, something violently crashes against one of the of the shop's showcases. Though in your current state it's absurdly hard to understand what just happened, you can instinctively tell, based on your prior combat experience, that something is actually someone and that the crash was not the result of a poorly planned fall, but rather the consequence of being pushed or thrown without mercy.

"My fairies will keep the creatures at bay, but we will need to buy us more time for the summoning."

It's only then that you notice.

The purple haired girl is holding something outstanding in one of her hands, something that clearly contrasts with the traditional image her haori and the rest of her attire works hard to create.

It's a modern, silver suitcase, with a strange symbol carved on it.

"Five minutes. In five minutes, the preparations will be complete and HQ will send the energy required for us to summon our Servants."

Those words echo inside your head.

No matter what angle one decides to take, five minutes is simply too much.

Though a lot of things happened ever since you dared to venture into this hell, in reality, less than five minutes have passed since your reckless entrance. It's a goal simply outside reach-! Monsters will swarm the group lured by the hunger for revenge and violence and now that your fire isn't here to at the very least slow their advance...

And this summon... Can it really turn the tide of the battle in your favor?

"I'd hate to ask for your help when I, moments ago, told you to get some rest, but given the situation, there is a possibility our success may not be possible without your assistance. If that scenario is to arrive, I'll need you to do exactly as I say so please, do not waste your energies before then."

A small pause to acknowledge weakness.

"And I know this isn't the most suitable moment for an introduction, but I would at least like to know your name. Mine is Fujou Rei, a pleasure to meet you."
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Miyama- The Sleeping Bishop
    Night Phase

Assassin paused for a moment, gaze drawn to her young Master's slumbering face. Alicia's normally wide reddish brown eyes were peacefully closed, and soft snoring sounds emanated from the girl's mouth as her small chest rose and fell in time with her slight breaths. Asleep like this she looked small, cute and eminently protectable, showing no sign of the valiant heroine who'd charged into battle alongside Assassin while risking her own life and limb. While commending her accomplishments, Assassin couldn't help but curse fate's cruelty for dragging such a purehearted girl into a conflict as bloody as the Holy Grail War.

Shaking those thoughts out of her mind Assassin rose to her feet from where she'd been sitting beside Alicia on the bed. "No sense just sitting around. Besides, I'll look like some perv watching a young girl sleep..." she murmured jokingly to herself, pondering where she'd go next. There were plenty of unusual characters at the inn Assassin could visit to try and extract information from them, so it was just a matter of who to pick.

Takagi Akane, the mysterious young woman who'd shrewdly taken command of the situation as if she knew more than she'd freely admit, came to her mind. As did Sakaki Yuuna, the stoical woman perpetually clad in a maid's uniform who seemed to hold exceptional scouting abilities. But more than that Assassin recalled Tomomi, the bluehaired girl her Master had struck up a fast friendship with. She and her brother Taichi were still resting in their own rooms after the brutal battle they'd endured, with the latter recovering from severe injuries.

Assassin decided to pay a visit to the siblings first. She could spin it as a favor to Alicia by checking in on how her friend was doing, though personally Assassin was more curious on the strange power the girl wielded which differed from the Magecraft the Grail had loosely filled her in on. In any case, Assassin had a goal in mind now. Leaving the room she walked out into the halls, careful to stifle her footsteps to not wake anyone who might be sleeping. Assassin reached the Masaki siblings' room and cautiously slid open the paper-divider, wondering just what encounter she'd face on the other side.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; October 18th, 2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Corrected name

Interlude - Hope, Led Astray (I)

"Ow... Ow... That hurt...!"

The voice comes from within one of the numerous shops in Verde's Grand Hallways. Much like the rest of the mall by this point, very little remains of its former beauty, which was swallowed by the fire that reigned as its king until mere moments ago. The voice belongs to a one-armed woman, her features concealed under the protection of a black cloak. It has been less than a minute that her body crashed through the window, thrown in that direction by an invisible force that she could not sense nor understand. Because she never expected the enemy to find her position with so much ease, the attack caught her off guard and shoved her away from the target. But that's all it managed to do. While a normal human would have been lucky not to see some injuries after becoming a victim to such attack, the woman walked out without little more than a scratch on her attire. The sheer force behind that 'almighty push' should have been enough to break several ribs, yet either that did not happen, or she knew how to conceal it well. In spite of her words, a glance would be all it takes to tell that her words are empty, that she isn't truly hurting all over.

"..."

One warrior steps up to the challenge and stands between the mysterious woman and the other group. Her name is Fujou Shizuka, a demon-hunter who specializes solely on the art of hunt, someone whose power is built atop of hundreds of past hardships. Her prowess is such that, in terms of pure swordplay, it would take at least twenty experienced hunters to match her. Her strength and speed speak of an inhuman power coursing through her veins, and she is not ill-equipped either. In her hands is the Japanese sword that managed to easily cleave through armored skin capable of withstanding a tank shell just some time ago. The grip on her weapon is firm, and she will not hesitate to use it, even if the enemy is not of demonic lineage. Indeed, there is not a trace of hesitation as Shizuka cautiously moves closer to the shadow that's been stalking them.

Five minutes. That's all she needed to buy her companion in order to ensure the Summoning System becomes online. But five minutes is too much for someone who can swiftly end things in a flash.

Divine speed marks the end of mercy.

The first exchange between the two is over in the blink of an eye, Shizuka having moved past her enemy, her sword already back on its sheathe. They now stand with their backs facing one another, the silence they share being the one thing that keeps time from moving forward. That is, until one of them dares to speak the firsts words towards the other.

"... It's been a while since I've last seen someone move that fast. And for my sword to break after taking a single hit... Geez, Is there anything about you that isn't unfair...? Give me a break."

Unbelievable.

Blood sprays out of from an injury on her right shoulder. The upper half of her weapon spins numerous times in the air until it eventually falls, digging itself on the ground. She's one of the greatest soldiers out there, yet Shizuka easily surpassed her during this brief duel. It should be clear that the next exchange, if it is even necessary, will put an end to it all.

Then why...?

Why is Fujou Shizuka so surprised by this turn of events...?

"Normally, I'd pay heed to my allies' advice and retreat while I have the chance but, you know... That sword was pretty precious to me, you know? I can't let your crime go unpunished."

"...!"

The answer is simple: She missed.

That attack that was meant to decapitate her enemy failed. And as a result of that...

Shizuka's own blood now stains her kimono, as well.

"Oh? You dodged it, too. So it's not just speed. You've got pretty good reflexes built in you, as well, don't cha...?"

Finding it uncomfortable at this point, the mysterious woman removes the piece of clothing that used to conceal her identity. Torn as it is now, it has lost its utility.

Still facing away from one another, there is something strange in her otherwise ordinary-looking smile. Beneath that carefree expression that Shizuka cannot see...

... lies the unmistakable feeling of death.

Spoiler:

"Well, I think that should make for a pretty good handicap. Enough to make my heart pump faster. Enough to justify taking your stuff with me once we're through. Now then, let's move to the main course."

Interlude Out

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Verde
    Night Phase

"...Alayana Aya. Second Owner."

---In the end, the voice the crimson-haired woman uses in response to the request for her name isn't a very thrilled one; while the flames have mostly disappeared now, returned to their eternal cage within the depths of her soul, the sounds they make, the words they give voice to, all of it remains chattering away at the back of her thoughts as both she and it come to a sort of agreement at the same time, namely...

These people are out of their minds.

Five minutes against this many monsters? Monsters of this caliber? All for the sake of some Summoning System coming online? Considering the use of the term Servant, it could very well be the summoning of some sort of Heroic Spirit of course, but...

"...Your Servants, huh?"

---Those type, huh?

Doing things without your own power? Reliant that heavily on the past?

She can't say she's really a fan of those types at a glance, certainly, a heroic spirit might make a powerful familiar, but it would come attached to a powerful ego that would probably try to supersede one's own, a record of beings that thought themselves superior to modern humans in a sense, ones that were superior in a sense even, but that she still felt should be kept on far tighter of a leash than whatever all of this seemed to be implying about it...

...No, putting that bias aside...

Do exactly as this Rei girl says if the time comes?

That's the really insane part.

She barely knows anything about the situation, already expecting her to accept orders from someone she doesn't know? Really, she was the type of person that was more like a natural disaster than anything else, something that went blazing a trail through everything else on her own whims, once she decided it was necessary...

Telling a fire to stop, to hold back, well...

That only works for so long, really, only the sight of a certain bit of cloth hanging off of her own wrist causes her to pause in this instant, rather than immediately start plotting to retake over the situation herself...

The curse is still eating away at her, but when the one-armed swordswoman appears, her hand automatically goes for her gun; it's a movement made without excessive worry or panic, it's just a firm logic, the second way to 'invoke' the flames that wouldn't stress her circuits too much if necessary, of course...

If things got too bad she wouldn't mind slamming her foot down on the metaphorical accelerator again anyway, Caren at least knew what the hell the flames were, so if they won, she'd at least have a chance of putting them out, better than this gaping void of magical energy and death, still...

"...Hey."

This new, red-haired girl...

The one-armed swordswoman, while she hadn't planned on saying anything to the most obvious of her enemies, there was something about that face, that far-too-normal but full of death face, that...

Reminds her of a brat.

Really, the urge to punish is quite strong...

"What's your name, girl? Objective too."

Perhaps that's why her voice automatically goes into demanding babysitter mode?

...Yeah, probably.

Brats all around...
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Night Phase

It is impossible for him to tell how many times prior he was summoned to time beyond his own era, in order fulfill his role as Hassan of the Mountain. It might have been several or it might have been none. Heroic Spirits simply lose their memories once their souls return to the Throne. Thus, Assassin isn't allowed to know what happened to him during those other times, if there were any. And yet, beneath that white skull mask there is nothing but absolute certainty. After all, there is absolutely no way...

---There is absolutely no way he has ever seen such a ridiculous scenario play out in front of his eyes.

A Servant surrendering her own Master to another who belongs to the one class that specializes in hunting them down. No, that is not what makes the situation so bizarre. If there is anything that stands out at that moment, it has to be the cat's demeanor. No ill-intent can be found in its words nor its actions. Its promise feels truthful, it is willing to play by the rules of its own game. But at the same time, its eyes are boastful and confident, giving the impression that there is some fine print hidden somewhere in the spoken contract.

It was like a King letting its Subject borrow its Crown for a day just to see what they would do with it, knowing all too well that the Regalia would eventually find its way back to its rightful place. An exercise that would serve to teach a lesson to those that need it. A tale so reckless and unthinkable that it only belongs in fairy-tales, where the wise rule and ignorant bow in respect. A world with its own set of rules which differ greatly from those seen in reality. Yet, within this gesture, one could feel its traces manifest in present time.

"Catch, huh? Am I supposed to capture the boy as if it were a ball, and then throw it back at you? You've got some strange tastes, cat-ears."

Normally, he would have no need to follow to cat's proposal. Hassan-I-Sabbah is not bound to Yamashita Hiro, his disappearance won't be of major consequence as far as he knows, and even the sight of a seemingly painful death won't affect his sleep, assuming he needs any. Granted, he has been ordered to look after the woman and the little boy and there is no doubt in his mind that his Master will be pissed off if he were to fail, but with so many odds stacked against him, a mistake is acceptable, right? Besides, right now he is not being watched... Shared perception is no longer in use. Having overheard Luna and Hiro's conversation earlier, Assassin can say for sure that nothing would bring him more satisfaction than witnessing how quick their bond falls apart.

He is pressed for time.

If he does not hurry and get out of here, he'll become prey of something much more dangerous than the Servant in front of him.

He is a coward.

And a coward never gambles using his own life as an ante.

"If you want to play something tonight, then I am afraid it will have to be something else."

Those words act as the only warning.

It happens right at the end of the fall, with the boy's cute face being less than a meter away from the ground, yet before you make a move in order to save him.

The ground... Simply disappears.

No, what you thought was a small portion of a burnt, infertile land has proven to be nothing but a fake. Triggered by the masked man himself, a human-sized hole appears right below Hiro, ready to be used as his funeral grave-!

"..."

From your position, it is hard to see the current condition of your Master, however, one can safely assume that something was definitely used to cushion his fall. Otherwise, you would have heard a noise as the Yamashita heir's bones shattered. Instead, the crash was mute, almost as if he had been tossed into a bottomless pit with perfect accuracy.

"How about tag...?"

Are his last words, before taking the girl and jumping down himself.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Night Phase

Tag, eh?

The catlike grin adorning Assassin's face does not abate, even as the other Servant manifests an answer she had not laid out for him.

This is why humanity is boring. This is why humans are so interesting. Even an old spirit like that one can pull out new tricks.

There is no hesitation. Assassin leaps forward in one smooth motion, matching the other Servant's trajectory. She has no wasted movements, traveling across the ground like an inky shadow.

"Not a bad choice," she replies as she leaps down the hole after the Hassan, following after her Master. The other Servant gets half points; he retrieved the boy without risking his own life in the process. Courage would've been nice, but craftiness will do. She doesn't dislike cowards, after all.

In the old tales, fae and humans always exploited each other. To play fair against one is to accept their unfairness, accept having your child taken away, accept being cursed for the rest of your life, accept poverty and suffering. Such things, of course, should not be accepted. One needs a certain amount of guile to 'win' any such exchange... and that is precisely what has happened here. After all, even if he had chosen the perfect answer and risked his life to save Hiro, Assassin would have attacked him anyway, just because the sight of a vulnerable back was too much to resist.

Her game has ended. Now his game begins, and it is one she has always been fond of.

"But remember this for next time: I prefer doing the chasing."

A shame, then, that there is a third party present, and that they are 'it' tonight.

Oh well. Can always come back another time, once the boy's safety has been seen to.

Although...

As she dives into darkness, Assassin wrinkles her nose. Her whiskers twitch.

"Couldn't have picked a less smelly path, Mask?"

Night Phase

Steps before making it to your destination, you pick up signs of activity inside the room. For starters, the lights have been left turned on, and it appears that a conversation is taking place between those present. The topic is not hard to guess, Masaki Taichi's health is not looking so good. While his body still remains in one piece, the number of injuries that spread across his body and the sheer amount of blood that he lost during combat is a serious matter. Who knows just how much time he fought to fend off the enemy while not hurting her little sister until Alicia and you arrived? You can tell that the twins are more than powerless human beings from instincts alone, but that doesn't mean that they are invincible. Your Master is a Magus, someone who has isolated herself from normality by claiming a magical system as her own... And yet, there is no doubt that one powerful blow could instantly end her life. Going by that logic, it remains a miracle that Taichi has held this long. Unfortunately, by the sound of it, it doesn't look like he'll make it to tomorrow's morning.

"..."

Thus, an abysmal silence has fallen over the room by the time you carefully slide open the door. Sakaki Yuuna, the maid, has just finished changing the bandages wrapped around the boy's body. Just a glance at the used balance is enough to portray just how serious his wounds are. The formerly white bandages have been completely dyed red. But that's not all Yuuna has done for Taichi, as evidenced by the sheer number of medical supplies lying nearby. While it would be a stretch to call her a full-fledged medic, it is safe to say that she possesses enough experience to hold her own in a situation like this one. Even so, her expression says it all... There is no hope for the boy in her eyes. Not unless Tomomi agrees to the proposal Takagi Akane, the owner of the Inn, has made to Tomomi, the youngest sibling that, while clearly exhausted, has escaped the tragedy relatively unscratched.

"Taichi's soul is strong, I have seen that for myself. I know."
    The red haired girl continues where he left off. "But even so, I can't guarantee that the procedure will work. And even if it does, it may take him years of rest before he can finally acclimate to this new change. However, I still wish to at least attempt to save his life. His safety is my responsibility and yet I couldn't provide aid when he needed it the most. If you'd just give me permission..."

A pause.

A rather heavy and painful pause.

And a weak, apologetic smile, drawn by Tomomi, someone who looked just like a little kid, yet felt like she possessed just enough spiritual strength to hold the world on her shoulders.

"You know... This is not the first time I've seen him come out badly injured like this. Sometimes, it is me who is at fault, others, it's just his own stubborness that gets him into trouble." A nostalgic expression that speaks of numerous experiences. "Each time, I look at him like this, fearing that he will not recover, that he will not come back to me... And every time, he proves to me that my doubts were misplaced, that he always finds the strength to return..."

Having arrived a tad bit late, it's a little difficult to grasp the meaning behind all that is being said.

From what you can gather, Taichi's life is at great risk, and Akane holds the key to her survival. But it appears the surgery holds its own share of dangers as well. The question then becomes: Should one trust the boy to make a miraculous recovery all on his own, or place all hopes on Akane's solution?

Due to presence concealment and your nature as a Servant, you have managed to remain undetected up to this point, even after sliding part of the door open. But that won't last forever. It's your turn to decide whether you can contribute to this dilemma or whether its better for them to resolve their dilemma among themselves, without your help.

... Your choice will shape the future.

Blog Entries
    Night Phase

"...Well, looks like I've barged in on a rather private moment," Assassin said, stepping through the door to reveal herself. She'd overheard everything about Taichi's condition and the mysterious treatment Akane promised that could save his life. The normally aloof Servant would rather not get involved in such private family business, but having already eavesdropped on their conversation Assassin felt obliged to at least say her piece.

"Listen, I'm not gonna' lecture you on what to do next. People die in this shitty world of ours all the time. Whether disease, by human hands or torn apart by a wild beast, another life lost isn't anything to fuss about. So if you wanna' wager everything on the kid's stamina, or put all your faith in some shady miracle cure, either way is fine by me. Just..." The woman's golden eyes narrowed, meeting Tomomi's gaze intently as she went on in a more serious voice. "Make sure you can accept the outcome. No matter what happens, choose a path you can walk without regrets. If Taichi dies, or suffers irreversible consequences due to the surgery, those have to be things you're willing to make peace with before you come to a decision. If you can't do that much, stand back and leave it to the grownups to decide."

Assassin paused, the usual nonchalant expression returning to her face. The Servant stretched out her arms above her head, then frowned, as if realizing something missing in her little speech. "...That being said," she conceded somewhat sheepishly, "I really have no clue what this treatment you're talking about is. But the way you reacted, safe to say it's not entirely pleasant. Mind telling me just what's going on here Miss Innkeeper?"

With those words, Assassin turned her intent gaze upon the other woman in the room. Cracking a confident grin in an attempt to puncture the dire mood. "You can trust me, since that kid is my Master's friend. It'd be a pain in my ass if either of you died on me tonight..."

Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Verde
    Night Phase

The fire has been put away, but the cursed air that reaches your lungs might as well be as hot as burnt charcoal.

Feeling uneasy about the whole situation, a part of you is unable to simply remain on the sidelines and rest as long as you can muster enough energy to do a little more than that. There is something about placing your entire trust in others that doesn't sit well with you, perhaps because you are used to being the most competent professional around. This time, there might be people who know a lot more than you do, but human nature spins the same way no matter where you look at it from. Circumstances might be different, but brats will be brats here and in the next town over. And as a babysitter, when you spot one of those individuals, you can just hear the calling to step up and intervene.

And your interruption couldn't have come at a better time. One more second, no, one more blink of an eye, and the two fighters would have resumed their deadly brawl, resulting in an outcome that, no matter the winner, would stand far from what you've come here for. At the same time, the only one supposed to keep a 'tight leash' on you is busy fending off the incoming monsters. Her body moves, constantly switching from one stance to the next and, in response, summoned waves of an invisible sea wash over your enemies, forcing them to retreat. Unlike the swordswoman, Shizuka, it appears that Rei lacks the offensive power needed to take the monsters down. Then again, that shouldn't be much of a surprise, when their skin can easily resist cannon fire.

"Oh~? Didn't notice you there, thought you were just another corpse in this lively graveyard."

Her relaxed expression transitions into a smirk, leaving it clear that, even outnumbered and unarmed in more ways than one, she still feels in a position of power, a bargaining chip hidden underneath her sleeve. But, her interior is several times more frightening. For one, the aura of hatred her body exudes is almost palpable, a perfect match for the forsaken shopping mall which has been transformed under the Origin's influence. Then, there's something about her low guard, about her broken stance which is full of openings, which gives you goosebumps, as if it were an invitation to play with a much more threatening predator than the creatures you've seen so far. If you had to describe her giving one word based of what you can perceive through your eyes and experience alone...

Merciless.

That's the one word that comes to mind.

"Don't you want to, you know, lie down for a bit longer while your friend and I settle the score? I am afraid you aren't looking so hot, miss. You sure you don't need a moment to catch your breath? Fine."

It's sudden. Unexpected.

But above all, it's impossible to perceive.

"...-!"

What on Earth...?

The orange haired woman is standing dangerously close to you, behind your back, her body only a couple of feet away from Rei as well. How she got there is an instant all while avoiding an equally powerful combatant like Shizuka is a secret only she knows. And while your normal reaction would be to simply ignite any fool to come this close, you get the feeling that you would be long dead before you pull such a move. This person is on a completely different level... She's invincible like the shadow you fought over the bridge, yet in a completely different way...

"Yoshida Amaya. Pleased to meet you all ~★~!"

But more importantly, there is one more reason why everyone has seemingly paused her actions to direct their full attention at her...

In the hand where the hilt of her sword once was is now one of the last hopes of humanity, a suitcase capable of summoning Servants...

"I'm just passing by ~★~! But since I'm here, I guess I'll sever the ropes that connect your world and mine, so that you can rot in peace with a clear conscience."

Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Verde
    Night Phase

---Nothing.

In the face of a power that could have clearly ended her life more than a few times over now, Aya Alayana does not move, she does not flinch; it's another abnormal reaction, another sign that this person has perhaps drifted too close to 'death,' herself, but...

In reality, it's simple pragmatism.

It's not like she's emotionless either, there is something clearly radiating off of her as she slowly turns to face the girl that could easily cut her down, especially in her current state.

That emotion?

...Annoyance.

"...Is that right?"

Annoyance that grows greater as she eyes the suitcase that's been so cleanly swiped away.

---It's like that, huh?

You lose your hope that easily huh?

"...Control your aura girl, keep that curse inside of yourself."

It's not strong, to show off that kind of hatred; there's nothing strong about it. If you're gonna fight you must control yourself, and not in this flighty way, if you can't even choke down your own hatred and keep it inside, then you can't properly act like an assassin, it's antithetical, a waste of potential in a sense.

Of course, that won't stop the girl from cutting her down.

Nothing likely will if she chooses to do so, at this point, things have fallen so far apart that she effectively cannot guarantee anyone's safety anymore; it's a bit of a cruel reality, the price of trusting strangers, this is why she doesn't like leaning on other people, yes...

In the end, you can only really rely on your own power.

The flames were right in that regard, sad as it was; you could count on your friends to a degree perhaps, but not one hundred percent, and strangers...

Strangers let you down...

Heroes are gone nowadays.

Ah, well...

"Rot in peace? Please."

She turns all the way.

"I'm the last person that would rest peacefully, gonna burn forever even if I don't wind up in hell; I'm the sort of corpse that bursts into flames."

She shrugs.

"...I'm also not the most trusting person in the world, always have a backup plan, you know?"

---Could anyone hear it?

The sound of those flames that had been left to burn outside of the mall?

Or the ones in another time entirely?

The ones that would spread even without her?

Too far away to help her, too far away to return to their cage, lingering sparks of her will...

"My curse will linger, even if you cut me down; my will is in it. It might be the will of a corpse, but..."

The smile remains.

"Chasing down a brat even if she hops worlds... Might think it's insane, but if it's motivated enough, I'm sure it'd find a way. So go ahead I guess, do your worst, I'll be seeing you eventually in hell, mark my words. I'll burn in peace, you can do so in agony once it catches you... And it will catch you, so it'll be a fair exchange."

...The benefit of not being a hero...

She can go full scorched earth.

Is it a bluff?

Who the hell knew with those flames?

"If someone wants to destroy my world senselessly, I'll take theirs and then some; balance the books."

---An eerie smile.

A smile and voice full of flames.

"It's only fair, right?"
    Last edited by Airen; October 28th, 2020 at 08:40 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Night Phase

"Accept the outcome..."

Tomomi mutters those words, keeping them close. She's a very intelligent girl, so she can understand the meaning behind them, as well as the overall intention behind the advice. They are cold words spoken with care, much like the ones her older brother uses all the time. Perhaps for others it would be too early to judge, but for Tomomi it is not. No matter how monstrous you might turn out to be, there is definitely some kindness dwelling within you. That said, it is Taichi you are all talking about... Her brother, who has always been there supporting her. She, who can recall things that others wouldn't even be able to remember, cannot think of a time where he has not been there with her, either in body or in spirit. So naturally, while your suggestion is reasonable...

There is no way she can accept an outcome where he dies...

For her, it's simply impossible...

"..."

Akane simply stood silent, biting her lower lip in frustration. A woman usually calm and composed, now her expression is filled with weakness. Powerlessness, ire, shame and even hesitation. Though Taichi and Tomomi should be no more than another pair of guests, it is clear that the bond she shares with them is deeper than what you believed it to be at a single glance. The outcome of this surgery and the well-being of the older sibling in general appears to be of great concern to her, almost like that of a mother worrying about her children. Regardless, you asked her a question and, though it might not be wise to share this sort of information with someone who could easily use it to her advantage, her injured pride prevents her from keeping it to herself any longer.

"Admittedly, this is just a thought, but Assassin... I believe you should be able to tell without needing me to spell it out for you. After all, aren't we natural born enemies...?"

Those words leave you wondering for a moment. Just what exactly did she mean by that...?

Whenever you try to think of answer as to who should be the natural enemy of your race, 'humanity' is always the first answer that comes to mind. This time you have come to their aid and even decided to side with them, but it's hard to deny that you've always represented that which all of them fear and, in turn, someone who they, as a whole, will never be able to accept.

But then it hits you.

The solution to the riddle comes not from your own memories, but rather from the information that periodically gets 'downloaded' into your brain. It is true that summoning difficulties have kept you in the dark about the important matters at hand, but you are still provided with some details to get by in this modern day and age. That's how you can move relatively unhindered in a household that's so different to what you've seen in the past, as your legend is rooted on western culture.

The innkeeper is talking about a popular rivalry, one that is built upon a number of silly coincidences and misconceptions. Thanks to the efforts of humanity transgressing the truth, it's a lie that might as well have become a reality out of sheer belief. Though it's not your case in particular, you are told that Spirits whose original nature has been greatly distorted by human gossip receive the skill Innocent Monster. As the writers of history, it appears that humans are also frighteningly skilled at adding exciting details to their liking, usually with great consequence.

"Are you familiar with the process a human has to go through in order to become a Dead Apostle?"

Bloodsuckers.

No, not just bloodsuckers, but vampires. That's what Takagi-san is talking about. Given your appearance, she must have guessed that you at least share a connection with werewolves, in which case you might have been able to feel slightly inclined to give in to your instincts and attack her. Well, even if that were to be the case, your bloodlust would have had to be really strong for you to lose control over your senses, so there has never been any danger in allowing this information to be revealed.

In hindsight, it makes sense.

Vampires are supposed to live in big castles (this household sure feels like an oriental castle, alright) and have a few servants (a very capable maid in this case) looking after it.

Now, in regards to her question, that's also something you can answer, again thanks to the information you receive from the Grail (or whatever equivalent is at play here), albeit not like someone personally acquainted with it would. Now you can understand the reason behind their grim faces. To allow Masaki Taichi a chance to become a Dead Apostle is to ensure, in a way, the death of his physical body. To trust in his recovery overnight appears to be even more of a fool's errand, as the injuries he has sustained tonight have only added to those he suffered the night before fighting that sword-wielding shadow.

Even in the best case scenario, following either option, his recovery would take a considerably long time.

Far longer than the duration of a traditional Holy Grail War, that is for sure.

So this is no longer a matter of which option would increase the overall odds of survival of the group, but rather a purely moral choice that lacks a correct answer.

Without your Master by your side, this is the first big decision that you'll have to make on your own.

-------

Choice!
    1. Believe in Taichi's recovery. Let him rest.
    2. Allow Takagi Akane to bite Taichi. This will start the process that will, hopefully, turn him into a Dead Apostle.
    3. Suggest an alternative in order to save Taichi's life. It must be something feasible within the next few hours.

Blog Entries
    Night Phase

"Vampires...?" Assassin's eyes widened in shock at the words Akane had spoken to her. To be sure, rumors of such creatures- undead monstrosities that preyed on the blood of humans- ran rampant in even her own era, but Assassin never imagined to encounter one in person. Much less, to be offered help by one. Yet, seemingly absurd as they were she knew the words uttered by Takagi Akane weren't lies. The information provided to her by the Holy Grail checked out with what she'd heard, and more than that Assassin's own instincts had sensed something otherworldly about the crimson-haired woman in front of her even if she hadn't acknowledged it at the time.

...Then, that left only the present course of action to consider. To be sure, vampires were typically beings that preyed upon humans- treating them as merely livestock- but there were occasional cases of vampires that coexisted with humans and sought out nonlethal ways of sustaining themselves. In other words, transforming Masaki Taichi into a vampire wasn't as clear-cut as making him an "enemy of humanity". Akane herself was proof enough of that.

But, was turning the boy into a nonhuman entity when he wasn't even awake to give his own wishes on the subject really the right thing to do? For all she knew, Taichi would regard becoming a bloodsucker as a loathsome fate even more horrible than death, and curse his sister for consigning him to such an eternal 'life'.

"Gah!" Assassin blurted out in frustration. "When did I get so sentimental? This crap has nothing to do with me, but I can't help myself from getting involved anyways..." Muttering to herself she closed her eyes, mentally weighing the options in her head. That's right. Realistically Taichi was going to die if nothing was done. It'd be great if they could rely on a cliched miracle to come through and save him, but Assassin knew the world wasn't nearly so kind. Miracles weren't handed down by God, they were the product of blood and effort, brought forth by humankind's overwhelming tenacity to spit in the face of the impossible. And they always, always demanded sacrifice.

...Tonight, the boy named Masaki Taichi was going to die. Tonight, Masaki Tomomi was going to be left without the older brother she'd long since relied upon. That was 'reality'. To reject it, to devour that awful future, something precious had to be offered up in turn.

And so, she would...

"Tomomi," Assassin spoke up, finally breaking the heavy silence that'd suffused the room since their last exchange of words. Her tone was calm and thoughtful, lacking any of her usual carefree bravado. "Your brother... is the kind of person who'd want to stay by your side and protect you until the end right? Even if it meant changing who he was, or losing something along the way, he would be happy as long as he could keep safeguarding that smiling face of yours. That's just the sort of way-too-earnest busybody Masaki Taichi is, right?"

"In that case..." Her golden eyes filled with renewed conviction as she continued. "There's really no reason to mull it over. From the looks of it Taichi will die if we don't go through with this, whereas there's a chance of survival if we do, even if it's in another form. Well, lecturing others on the right thing to do isn't really my style, so do what you like. But..." Turning with a casual shrug, the beastly woman met Tomomi's gaze one more time. "Just remember, Taichi wouldn't want to leave you alone."

Fuyuki's Underground Sewer Network
    Night Phase

"Don't think so, no..."

Hassan, who has made the necessary arrangements to be the one to land first, gives an answer that feels almost like an afterthought. It is hard to tell if his indiference towards the filthy odor present in these tunnels has anything to do with the absence of a real nose underneath his mask or if it is connected to Assassin's routine when he was alive, but nevertheless, it remains clear that he never really thought of an alternative. Granted, it would seem that, at the very least, he possesses a good reason as to why this is the most efficient escape route. Before finishing the sentence however, the Old Man of the Mountain catches Hiro's falling body, tosses it aside, and then jumps after it, away from what would become your landing spot less than a second later. And it's all accomplished in one swift, fluent motion while carrying the unconsciouss Luna on his back.

This Assassin is weak, almost overwhelmingly so.

But he knowns how to move, he knows how to escape even under the most severe conditions.

"The beings that lurk within the mist are attracted to, among other things, residual Magical Energy."
    A quick leap easily allows him to catch Hiro's body once more with a spare hand, saving the little teenage from landing somewhere dirty. "Normally, this is an enclosed space, so it will take some real effort for Magical Energy to leak out and give away our position. The entrance we used closed after us, so it is safe to assume that we've already slipped under the radar."

The masked man seems confident in his assessment, so there is no reason to doubt it.

When one thinks about it, it is really simple. It's just like a can of tuna. The tuna has a strong smell that will draw the attention of any felines nearby if the can has been left open. However, if the can is closed tight or kept within the depository humans call 'fridges', then there is a chance that such treasure will never be found.

"Besides, that's not the only problem we want to avoid. There are other individuals we would like to avoid."

You've only been summoned a little while ago, so you can't really tell who he is talking about, but he must be talking about other Masters and Servants. So, though a little bit cowardly, Assassin's plan is well-grounded. Who would have expected this wimp to be such a crafty guy...?

The moment thoughts like that begin to cross your mind...

"Catch."

The tiny back of Yamashita Hiro suddenly invades the majority of your field of vision-!

Without slowing down, without looking back, it appears the Old Man of the Mountain has become tired of carrying not one, but two unconscious humans, and has given up on one, perhaps the least important to the cause...?

"And, lastly, these tunnels are part of a decades-old sewer network that rarely receives any visitors, if any at all. The perfect place for..."

The masked Servant makes a turn to the left and, as if to accompany the meaning behind his words, the composition of the underground passage shifts drastically from old brick and stone to white futuristic alloy. Your nose stops picking up an horrid stench and assures you that whatever lies ahead can only be described in one word...

Artificial.

"A base of operations."

No, to call it such would be an understatement.

What laid ahead of you is the entrance of an underground laboratory, an structure that is way ahead of its time. Perhaps because you are a guest that's been 'born' not in this era, you can easily tell that this settlement does not belong here either...

It is almost as if, at some point, you simply stepped out of one world into another.

Clad in pure white, the room you arrive at is just immense. Though it might appear to be boring and simplistic in design, that can be further from the truth. The complexity of this room is the pinnacle of years of effort, a workshop. But not a workshop of man, not a workshop of Magi... Instead, a workshop of science.

"Feel free to greet to my Master, cat ears."

It's simply wrong.

Something that should not exist, something that should not be there. Something that defies the system, being something completely different from the norm.

As if this were a meeting that should never take place, the mere act of laying your eyes on it feels difficult.

You do not understand what is wrong with it.

A sight like this should never bother you.

And yet, its presence does nothing but fill the room with dread.

... Or what's left of it.

Yamashita Hiro//Assassin of the Distant Kingdom

Day End

Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Verde
    Night Phase

It's a reckless act of rebellion.

In the face of an existence much stronger than you, your words become as sharp as the beautiful blade of a sword. You speak no falsehood, yet the courage to defy someone like Yoshida Amaya speaks of how little you value your own life. What you are doing is no different from threatening an executioner, when it's your head the one that's been caught in the guillotine. Something like this seldom will have any effect on someone who has done it a dozen times before. It will only serve to reassure the executioner of what it has to do. And yet...

And yet the finishing blow never comes.

"Nah, you people got it all wrong, as usual. I don't want to kill you. You are pretty much dead anyways." Comes the red-haired girl's response. "Like I said, I just want to cut the connection between our worlds... So when yours goes to hell, mine doesn't need to follow suit. My goal is understandable, right? There are no such thing that even resembles the heroes depicted in comic books anymore. To save something is to trample over something else. In this case... I'll have to get rid of that thing you refer to as 'hope'---!!!"

She lifts the case above her head, and before anyone can do anything about it...

She smashes it against the floor beneath her feet with superhuman force, enough to send rubble flying in almost every direction. In fact, you, the one closest to the epicenter, feel a sharp surge of pain as a lost shard of ceramic almost finds its way into the back of your leg, although, fortunately, in the end all it does is scratch the surface, leaving a nasty cut.

As a bonus, a flashy movement like that grants you all the time you need to escape the compromising position you were in just mere moments ago. But, even so, it's too late.

It goes without saying that the suitcase is special.

It's is reinforced so it can endure a lot of damage, however, its main function is to store a great amount of Magical Energy. The rest is just secondary. In other words, even though a human would certainly find it difficult to break such artifact without help...

Someone like Yoshida Amaya can do so easily, after only one attempt.

"Huh...?"

So why...

Why is it that the suitcase is still in one piece...?

"You talk too much..."

The answer to that question lies in the swordswoman, Fujou Shizuka herself. As a Demon Hunter of the highest caliber, she is someone who can fight using her eyes and her combat talent alone. However, she is also an ESPer, someone who has surpassed the limits of humanity and awakened a supernatural power. And, using that power...

"I see, you altered the floor in such a way that it would act as a cushion and lessen the impact. And, at a distance, to boot. Just how many unfair powers do you have?"

Shizuka frowns in response.

She is, after all, a sore loser. So when Amaya somehow outsped her before... So when Amaya somehow deduced the nature of her ESP after only witnessing it once...

It wouldn't be wrong to say that the blood flowing in her veins raised its temperature a little bit. Just a little bit, to denote that frustration.

"You're not the only one with special eyes, you know? In any case, where was I...? Oh yeah, I was about to get rid of this thing...!"

At that moment...

The outcome once more becomes absolute.

Except this time, the enemy is within the line of fire.

Even in the most optimistic scenario, it won't be enough to cause any lasting damage on someone like your foe.

That said, you still have the option to try.

Yeah.

Whether to pull the trigger or not...

That's for you to decide.

Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Verde
    Night Phase

---Bang.

Naturally, there was never a question about the action Aya Alayana would take in this situation; the situation is poor, anyone with working senses could tell that much, and yet the woman's reckless, almost obstinate spirit continues to flare in the face of all opposition, yes...

Certainly, she pulls the trigger on her gun amidst the squabbling of a bunch of children; the more she learns about what's going on the more insane it all becomes, and the more her spirit goes roaring into a rebellious fury, a fury that is, perhaps, egged on by the surge of fire deep within her soul, by her curse, her burden, her friend, and her manifest ally from the depths of her soul, yes...

She pulls the trigger.

---It's only natural that an explosion is the result, while the children squabble over their briefcase, of their twisted ideas of good and evil, fighting a shadow war that refuses to come out into the light, the flame-haired girl had raised her hand, the gun, and simply fired it once.

Once was all that is needed, an explosion rocking out throughout this dreadful cursed place, and yet...

It's not an explosion that exists anywhere near her opponents, no...

The gun had been pointed the other way entirely, back towards a vehicle that had served it's purpose well, but that had ultimately come to a stop at the whims of the world, namely...

Her motorcycle.

Hitting it in the gas cap had been enough to destroy it entirely; her flames were special, things like debris often didn't make it out of her explosions intact, devoured greedily by the hungry flames, the rampant fires, but...

"Honestly. Quit it with the villain act, it doesn't suit you."

...With this seemingly foolish decision out of the way, her cursed flames failing to engulf anyone here, the woman gives into a long lost bad habit, drawing out a single cigarette, and sighing to herself as her sheer existence lights it aflame...

It's been a hell of a day.

Smoking is a nasty, nasty habit, but well...

Every once in awhile the stress just became too much, you know?

"Hope isn't something you can get rid of anyway, come on, even villains know that."

So saying, she casually inhales, and...

---Something erupts from the distant explosion, no, something had been born from within it the moment the motorcycle had met it's end, gasoline and metal serving as fuel to bring her flames back into this world-!

"But I guess that, even as a villain-type myself, I do have my own philosophy."

And those flames had emerged in quite the form, indeed...

"Nothing is destroyed for no reason, so look out kids."

---It resembles a semi-truck.

...No.

It is a semi-truck.

A roaring, screeching vehicle made entirely out of hellfire, swooping out of the explosion to run right through all the fools (mostly at Amaya) and their moronic fighting-!

---It's absurd.

Naturally it's absurd, but...

Did they simply think her power was merely flames?

That it sought to devour for no reason?

No no no, that would be quite foolish, from the very start, the reason these flames devoured everything...

Was out of a desire for more power.

And power exists in everything.

Things that are destroyed by her are not really destroyed no, they simply become hers to do with as she likes, and considering that, well...

She had a lot of ammo from starting a fire out in the parking lot, huh?

Of course, this isn't enough to defeat her enemies either, even if dodging a cursed truck might not be quite as easy as one might think, but...

Out of the flames emerges the motorcycle as well, once broken, now returned to life as a cursed steed of flames and wrath, and-!

When they scattered to get out of the way of the truck, she...

Might as well take the suitcase and go.

Letting the kid destroy it seemed like a poor idea.
    Last edited by Airen; November 17th, 2020 at 04:20 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Interlude - Memories//Divergence: Fortissimo

It's a hazy memory from my childhood.

A wish for someone not to give up, born from the depths of my heart. A promise forged with an invisible thread that neither of us could understand. The only thing I knew was that, whenever I found the road ahead of me to be tough and full of obstacles, I could rely on that thought to get by. It was as if, deep in my heart, I knew someone out there was fighting, longing to see the world become a better place.

That's right, a 'hero' who would be there whenever we needed him the most.

I thought that it would be pathetic of me to give up prior to his glorious arrival, so I always did what I had to do to remain tall and prideful, no matter the cost. It was impossible for me not to deviate at least a little from the path of righteousness considering the scarcity of food and privilege in the slums, but that was okay. I was not the hero, after all. I was sure that once I met the hero, he would scold me for my behavior, before patting my head and offering advice. If he was as nice as I imagined, then he would surely invite me to share a meal I would otherwise not have access to.

"My dad says heroes suck! That they are responsible for what happened to us!"

I had too on my plate living on my own to worry about the opinions of others, so when another kid told me that, I simply shrugged and continued on my merry way. However, because I chose to give him the cold shoulder, him being on top of me was the next thing I knew. Being children, there was little to no difference in the amount of strength we could muster and yet, I found that, trapped under his weight, I couldn't even move.

I was weak.

But I was also mature and very prideful. I would never plead for help as long as I felt there was something I could do, even if that thing was merely to stare at someone else in defiance. So I endured... And when the opportunity came, I didn't hesitate to fight back. The world was a twisted place, and these slums were the worst of it. Unconsciously, I unleashed my frustrations through my fists, knowing little about the ideal I was defending. In the eyes of those who cared, I must have been a villain. After all, it was just as that kid had said.

The heroes who rose to defend humanity during the grand cataclysm were responsible for the current state of affairs.

It was a selfish, distorted truth that could not be understood by the heart of a child like myself, but one I came to realize as I grew older. When the survival of the human race had been at stake, heroes known as Magic Wielders had revealed themselves and had fought to protect us. I am sure each and everyone must have had their own reasons to pursue that path but, ultimately, there is no denying that they had fought for us, like real heroes would have.

The thing is...

Their efforts had not been enough.

In order to defend an already dying world, they had exhausted every last bit of their energies, their bodies becoming stardust. They had defeated the villain of the story, but they couldn't afford to stay and see the aftermath. It had been such an intense and mind-boggling battle... That humanity was never able to recover after that.

Earth became a place where happiness no longer could be found, and life itself became a symbol of struggle. I was born in such place, so It was hard for me to understand the feelings of others. To me this post-apocalyptic landscape was as natural as the bustling crossroads of a metropolis must have been to those that called themselves adults.

I couldn't understand their pain.

But I certainly hated the lack of faith in their eyes, the lack of strength, the lack of willpower. I loathed it all.

For the first time in a very long, long time, I wished for that hero to come. Not for me, but for them. It was something I couldn't do, so I could swallow my pride and ask for help.

The one whose shadow I saw that day was not a hero.

... But it was the closest thing to one.

Interlude Out

Last edited by hero; November 22nd, 2020 at 12:51 PM.

Aya Alayana
    Shinto - Verde
    Night Phase

The hellish vehicle rams directly into Yoshida Amaya's body.

Considering the outstanding physical feats she demonstrated no more than a couple of minutes ago, it's an outcome that seems to defy the norms of reason. However, there is a deeper meaning to what just happened, something the naked eye of a bystander wouldn't be able to catch on immediately. Perhaps if Aya Alayana's flames have been of the normal kind, Amaya would have immediately seen through them. No, not perhaps, definitely. Red flames, blue flames, black flames, no matter the color or the type, or the river of curses that lingers within it, all of it is within the scope of what the one-armed warrior has already seen.

But... In this case, she was literally given little to no time to react. It was not like the attack was unavoidable because it could move as fast as the shape it adopted allowed it to, it was unavoidable because she was not able to see it until it was too late. Not see it, nor sense it, it was almost as if the fire had materialized out of thin air, while keeping all the properties of the vehicle it was modeled after. That's why, instead of engulfing her entire body, the semi-truck instead crashed into her with all of its might.

Yoshida Amaya does not know much about magecraft theory in general, but she has the tools that allow her to understand it at a glance. Equivalent Exchange, Thaumaturgical Theory... Whatever Aya Alayana has just done easily goes against most, if not all principles of spellcasting.

"Tch..."

And yet... Maybe that's just another excuse. Another excuse to justify why Yoshida Amaya was the only one not to step out of the way of an attack while she clearly should have been able to. Yes, maybe one should see things from a different angle. Perhaps it was not that Aya Alayana's attack was overwhelming, but rather...

Rather, there was something about Yoshida Amaya that would not let her avoid this attack.

Fire is something that, before being stolen, belonged to the Gods. As such, it shares some resemblance with Magecraft as a whole. Both are alien systems that are not supposed to be used by man. Both will hurt their user if not wielded with care, and both can be used to inflict harm and destruction upon a third party. Both seek spread one way or another, continuing their legacy and even when reduced to mere embers, and both stubbornly resist their decaying fate until the very end.

More importantly, things that do not belong to man, things that are dangerous, usually inspire fear in the hearts of people. It's in human nature to be afraid of fire, no matter how much one pretends it is not. The image of someone being burned alive can be almost as terrifying as being the victim of such tragedy, and the sight of losing all the things you worked hard for to the flames is one of the many causes of despair and frustration.

Yoshida Amaya is afraid of fire, too.

And for a good reason since it played a big part in her world's downfall.

And that's precisely why it's the sort of enemy she cannot afford to run away from.

Her feet finds the ground. The only fist she has left digs itself into the vehicle's front. It's an absurd approach. It's ridiculous. It's like an ant going against a giant, if the giant was also clad in fire. At this point, one might as well give up and allow oneself to be run over. For someone who has shown a lot of physical prowess, she may even be able to tell the tale afterwards.

But no, instead, she chooses to take damage and do this is the toughest way possible. It seems that part of her has still to grow up.

The most outstanding part, however, is that she makes it. After several meters, she manages to stop the truck that flew at her like a bullet train. The motorcycle that comes after her afterwards is easily tossed aside with a single arm movement.

"Curious. I didn't thought of you as an optimist, that with that ever-serious face of yours. But if you can speak like that about hope, then there is no doubt about it: You have yet to leave the nest."

For what it's worth, your plan was a success.

The enemy is far from going down, but you have at the very least managed to force her to drop the suitcase. Now all you have to do is...

*Cough*

A crimson liquid finds its way to the surface, dripping past your lips.

You are still under the effects of the curse that lingers over this place. Rei's aid helped, but not only was it supposed to be a temporary measure, you have also been forcing it by employing your magecraft in battle. At best, you have a minute before falling unconscious, and that's only if you manage to snap out of this crippling sickness...

"Ugh..."

Except you are not the only one who's being affected.

Everyone looks as if they also were in their last legs.

Even Amaya, which is a drastic shift from a moment ago.

Your blurry eyesight is drawn upwards, where it is met by a sudden, all-encompassing flash of light. Past that point, your senses begin to shut down, one by one. First, you sight, then your hearing, followed by your ability to speak.

At that point...

Fuyuki City has already run out of time.

The night has truly fallen.

The sky has truly shattered.

And with that, your consciousness is mercilessly taken away from you.

Aya Alayana
    Day End