Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 611141516

Thread: Fate/Closure [IC Thread]

Aya Alayana
    Einzbern Forest
    Morning Phase

"..."

The giant pauses for a moment, somewhat perplexed by your words. Is it surprising for her to see a human stand up for a demon? Or is it that just now she has become aware of your presence? Regardless, she takes a couple of extra seconds to meditate in regards to your proposal... In fact, she takes so much time reaching a decision that you unconsciously begin tapping your feet... It's almost like... Almost like she is talking to someone else... Or maybe talking to herself inside her head, making an evaluation of whether you are worthy to trust. It could also be a plan in the works, a scheme to get the best out of you before throwing you out of the way.

Whatever it is, the wait that nearly lasts for a whole ten seconds proves to be almost enough to force Elizabeth to drop to her knees under the pressure. Ultimately, she manages to remain standing by fueling her already strong ego. The giant might be very beautiful (and by extension very strong!), but no one on the entirety of planet Earth is more beautiful than Liz. And to succumb to the fear of an imminent execution in her presence would be to admit otherwise. That's why...

That's why even if that giant's stats have good scores all across the board, like those of a real hero of legend, she would not falter! That's even more true now that another one is trying to act cool for her sake! She's Elizabeth Bathory! And she hasn't asked for anyone's pity! (although it made her happy for a brief moment)

"You are welcome to try-"

But her response is quickly overrun by the tsunami that is the Great Pharaoh's decree.

"Very well. I am a merciful pharaoh and so I shall offer you a way to amend for the crimes you've committed against these lands."

It looks like you are up to a good start.

Still, much like the devil you've chosen to defend, there is a firm barrier that seems to separate this giant from modern common sense. Case in point, even if you haven't done anything wrong, merely being here is enough to have the weight of guilt being placed over your shoulders. You better forget about it, though. Pressing the matter any further might actually get you killed on the spot, so it is best to play along by her rules. In spite of the clear shift in positions of power, her mind seems to be just as manipulable as that of your new protege's...

"It pains me to say... But You are neither the first nor the most... Troublesome bandits to set a foot where one shouldn't. There is a particularly... Meddling graverobber that has been pilfering gold and jewelry during the night."

The tall woman then wipes any sort of weakness that her lament might have shown, her gaze now sharp as that of an eagle. She follows up by, once more, firmly hitting the ground with her staff, causing a second small quake.

"As the Great Pharaoh, I give you my word! Bring that wrongdoer to me, and I'll see that the slate where your crimes are recorded is wiped clean."
    Last edited by hero; August 6th, 2021 at 02:38 PM.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aya Alayana
    Einzbern Forest
    Morning Phase

I'm not going to run into a single stable person today, am I?

---Ironic thoughts, coming from a woman that doesn't voice them out loud for once.

Yes, silently drawing on the cigarette as she listens to the giant's words, the woman's first instinct is to say that this little deal is a bad one; much as how she had wound up taking care of a little demon brat without meaning to do so, the idea of having to accept another quest from an entirely separate entity is one that she would instinctively frown upon, especially because this one is not able to hide behind the guise of a child, and thus become someone she naturally takes it easier on, however...

"...Bandits?"

...The frown deepens.

There's something in those words that resonates with the woman, something simple admittedly, but a resonance nonetheless, namely-

"...Very well, I suppose I can do a bit of collection duty."

-as a landowner herself, she can somewhat sympathize with having to deal with unwanted pests on the property. The appearance of such beings is always at least a minor annoyance, one that crosses the line into an actual disturbance once they start stealing things from the landowner, and once they become an actual disturbance, well...

That's when you start kicking in doors.

If that still doesn't get results?

Well...

That's when the flames come out to play.

Of course, it's interesting that a Servant with this sort of detection ability was having trouble finding this so-called bandit, but she could probably twist this situation to her benefit, getting a reason to move unopposed on the land and get someone in her debt in the process, so...

"What do they look like? And where should I bring them when I find them? The Einzbern Mansion?"

Might as well play along for now.
    Spoiler:
    Death is nothing but a disease.
    But it is one that often comes from all sides.
    An end like that is coming, and yet here you are.

Tell me.

Could you kill someone you love for the sake of everyone else?

What a cynical worldview, Messiah.
    Real heroes would find a different answer.

Right, right.
    The power to break through a sad reality—
    I wonder—

Will they be able to show it to me?

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Assassin of the Distant Kingdom
    Miyama - Ryuudou Temple
    Morning Phase

The meal truly was delicious. There is nothing that is so filling as a thoroughly rotten soul.

Her bestial spirit has made Assassin impatient, like a newborn kitten excited to simply move and exercise her strength. It's to be expected; when one is summoned, is that not the same as being born anew? Yet, now that she has gotten it out of her system by running around a bit, the youthful energy within the Servant has been reduced to regular levels.

The cat in Ryudou temple thus settles down, silently yawns, tucks her paws beneath her chest, and closes her eyes.

Yes, it was a good meal. And after a good meal the hunter's instincts dim. It is about time for a mid-day nap, isn't it?

...well, that's what it might appear as on the surface. But in truth, the hunt has not ended. Nor is Assassin about to relax.

Some predators hunt through persistence. Others through teamwork, or pure violence. But a cat hunts through patience. It approaches, carefully, slowly, pushing forward as much as possible before pouncing. To blindly leap into the unknown would be foolhardy to the utmost. Instead, as an exemplary Assassin, she will keep her senses stretched to the limit and wait until an opportunity presents itself, if it presents itself at all. Even if it does not, gathering information without revealing herself is already a success. She is hidden and they do not see her, so she will not suffer for remaining hidden.

The Servant's instincts tell her that her eyes are not to be trusted. That something here does not fit. In that case, she doesn't need her eyes. The other senses will fill in. Unlike a human, she does not over-rely on sight to begin with. Hearing and smell alone are both sharp enough to substitute. She can listen in on the conversation while she's at it.

The two below are speaking of nature, but they are indoors. Is that it, then? Is the temple not even here, and they are still outside? An illusion may certainly be at play. Or they might be on another layer entirely. Another Servant may also be hiding in plain sight, if at least one of them is a Master.

That's fine. Two can play at that game, and Assassin is the best at it. While she hides she will listen and smell and feel and gather information and wait, wait, wait until the moment comes, with every nerve in her body stretched to the utmost until then.

Yamashita Hiro
    Fuyuki's Underground Sewers- ???'s Secret Laboratory
    Morning Phase

"...!"

Words that push her back like a strong gale. Emotions that attempt to run her over like a turbulent river current. Having heard your motivations and resolve, a showcase of true courage poured into a heartfelt confession, Luna should definitely keep her mouth shut and accept the helping hand you've offered. This is the first time she gets to see a fragment of the real Hiro, the person that hides beneath the cold mask of a Magus. To stand against it would be rude, unneeded and ungrateful of her. She doesn't want to sound like that because she isn't that sort of person. Besides, Yamashita Hiro is also the first real friend she's made.

"Ahhh! You are so stubborn!"

But she cannot help it. This is a part of her personality, too.

"F-forget the method, you are just getting yourself into more trouble for my sake than what it's worth! And I don't want that!"

She already knows about that weakness of yours - the fact that you cannot protect her. Precisely because of her ignorance, there are only a few things she can compare you to. Not once has she thought of you as an all-mighty warrior or a monster on top of the food chain. You might be seen as a aberration by the supernatural side of the world, a one in a million freak capable of harnessing a power a Mage never should. In her eyes, however, you are just as mortal as everyone else, just a lot more important.

And against this threat, you are little more than an ant.

"You have no idea what you are getting yourself into! There will be no negotiation. That thing... Whatever is inside of me will roast you the moment I slip up and give her the chance!" She shakes her head. "I'm not taking any risks... Not if it concerns you!"

She's a brave woman.

The type of warrior who would fight back without hesitation and who would bite if her hands and legs were tied. Right now, she can't even control her powers. She's as helpless as an average woman. Yet she shows no fear or signs of backing down, even if the one in front of her could easily force things to happen with little effort. But to claim that she's not scared would be a lie... The stench of fear is so strong that you can pick up on it without having to loosen any chains.

Yes, she fears what's inside of her, she fears losing control, she fears tearing apart what holds value to her. And your words are simply not getting through that shell. You'll need to be more clear in order to quench her doubts. Either that or find a different approach.

"So just forget about it, okay...?"
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

Hiyako Tsurara
    Dark World – Stray Cats HQ
    Unknown Phase

Several days later.

The majority of the Stray Cats crew has gathered in one place at your command. While those of superior hierarchy speak their mind in a closed-off room, the remaining troops remain outside exchanging trembling words and anxious faces. They might not yet be informed of what exactly is the reason behind this meeting, but only a fool wouldn't be able to tell its scope. Whatever is brewing... Is definitely big. That's the thought that crosses everyone's mind as they wait for fate to reveal what is in store for them.

Meanwhile, inside the room in question...

"Our enemy surpasses us in three great aspects. First, territory: The Dweller's rule a great portion of the city and adjacent lands. Moreover, they have established several vigilance and resting posts across the entirety of the Dark World. On paper, approaching them unnoticed is simply an impossibility."

The remaining leaders grimace at the challenge that awaits them in the near future. Most likely, have you never reached your position as the real mastermind behind this organization, they would have refused to comply to this request almost immediately after hearing the name of the competition. That's because the group as a whole is in a good position in spite the loss it has faced in the recent month. In the head of any cold reasoning creature, paying a blood tribute to the dwellers beats having to battle them in an all-out war.

However, precisely because you are the boss, no one objects to the idea. Instead, they focus their thoughts towards cutting loses as much as possible. That is to say, everyone in this room is being participative and efficient. Instead of thinking of 'Declaring war to the Dwellers', they convince themselves it's the exact opposite: 'The Dwellers have declared war on us'.

As Mayumi continues with the briefing, each of them patiently waits for the opportunity that her plan will present, if there is even one.

"Second: Resources. As you may already know, the city acts as the main supply line for the entirety of this domain. Back when the gate between this world and the one we all came from wasn't closed, it was possible to bring resources from one side to the other through means we're not exactly familiar with. While that possibility is no longer a thing alongside the arrival of new survivors, they have amassed enough not to have to worry for a good couple of years. Naturally, that also means they can distribute weapons among their personnel at their leisure. In other words, a battle of attrition won't work in our favor, even if we do combine our forces with other groups."

A one-shot chance.

A high-risk, high-reward scenario where the only option for their survival is to emerge victorious.

That's what the Stray Cats has to aim for.

"And third... Firepower. The Dwellers are numerous but above all are strong as hell. I don't need to tell you that there is at least a dozen of them that count as a 'one-man army', making direct confrontation more than troublesome. In a straight fight there's no doubt that we would be goners... Even if a few of us can hope to stand our ground, in the grand scheme of things, we would definitely come out as the losers of the war..."

Everyone in the room knows and respects Tachibana Mayumi. She was their previous boss, after all.

And that is why everyone can tell...

There is a big 'but' to that statement.

"But! That is also their biggest weakness! That is, they lack the chains to hold back and control such immense firepower! There is no law, no bond that makes everyone stick together or, if there is, it's not enough to keep everyone under the watch of those that truly lead the group. Independent cells are only as loyal as needed to ensure a share of the reward, while others hardly care about benefits and follow them as a source of entertainment. That's where our quest needs to start."

"..."

Listening to the conversation are not only the elite members of the Stray Cat, but also the leaders of the 'Seekers' -a recently formed group of survivors that want to return home above all else- and the 'Hidden Dragons' -A group organized like a Chinese mafia which has agreed to work alongside you-. As trust is still not fully established, they are not physically present. But the fact that they are there through a phone call (in a place where electricity is limited and precious) is already a testament of their will to at least listen to this proposal.

"As per request, I have marked on the map a number of possible locations where these 'stray groups' will likely head towards through the next few weeks. It's not a hundred percent accurate, of course, but the best we could get while working on a budget..."

....... And then.

The briefing is interrupted by an extended, large yawn. It comes from no other than Mayumi. Did all the talking make her sleepy? No, rather...

"Ah~ I'm sooo tired boss~ Could you go on...?"

... Rather, she's pushing the spotlight back where it belongs.