Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2020 Animu - No attempts at being funny in the thread description this time, sorry

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Cross Ange?
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like Plunderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Sounds like Plunderer
    Oh no. I know what he's talking about. I just posted that I've been watching it myself. I just suggested CA as an action show that has spent as much time (if not more) on it's female characters getting sexually harrassed
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Cross Ange was bad I just don’t recall it being this bad about it 3 episodes deep. And as entertainingly shit CA was, I’m not watching it again to fact check my hyperbolic statements.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Trust me, Cross Ange was worse. Cross Ange is ALWAYS worse.

and more people need to watch it.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Cross Ange got themselves in SRW tho.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Wow Dendro really pushing the limits out here, the OP is mostly pics of swords & stuff and recycled footage from episode 1... also trying out the experimental storytelling of “what if we just cut the explanation of what the MCs ability does?”. imagine Touma running around punching fireballs and nobody told the audience about imagine breaker.

even as a source material fan i am having a hard time following whats happening, it moves so damn fast

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I mean, we're some 40 books in and we're still not sure how Imagine Breaker works, so eh

- - - Updated - - -

Sidenote Haikyuu is hype and they aren't even playing volleyball yet
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    It works like King Crimson.
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Bandori s3 ep5 was a slamdunk. They played my fave popipa jam too hell yeah.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watched episode 3 of Plunderer this afternoon, increasingly against my better judgment. For the first few minutes I thought it was coming up in the world. Lynn is an endearing heroine with her sincere enthusiasm, and her banter with the colonel dude (Wikipedia tells me his name is Pele, though I can't recall it being stated anywhere in the episode itself) was decently amusing. The show even passed up the chance for a pantyshot gag when Lynn was climbing that tree, which raised my hopes that we might be moving beyond that to some degree. Of course the moment Licht shows up the series just can't help delving back into the same poor excuse for "humor".

This time if anything it's even worse, to the point where the behavior of all the characters throughout blatantly strained credibility and logic for the sake of "humor". Pele literally helps a wanted criminal sexually harass Lynn, his freaking commanding officer multiple times and even nearly gets her killed on a rickety bridge just for his own amusement and faces literally no repercussions. In a real military he could get his ass court-martialled or worse for that.

And the show keeps doubling down on this bizarre trope of characters being totally ignorant of their own setting's history, with Lynn having no idea who the seven Aces are despite them being legendary heroes in her world. The first time this came up was forgivable because Hina was supposed to be ridiculously sheltered from wandering on her own ever since she was a little girl, and it was much-needed exposition that had to be delivered to the audience somehow. But Lynn has seemingly been living in this society her whole life, even serving in the military, and still has never heard of her own country's national heroes before? That's just ridiculous.

I get she's supposed to be kind of a ditz, but that's like somebody in real life not knowing who Winston Churchill or King Arthur is. (It's still not entirely clear whether the average person in this world thinks the Aces were real people or fictional figures from myth, but either way they're clearly meant to be nigh-universally renowned).

Honestly I'm not even sure why this bothers me so much of all of a sudden. I watched the first two episodes and mostly didn't mind the contrived plot and dumb fanservice antics. Maybe it's just because I find Lynn more immediately likable as a protag than Hina (I have a soft spot for the "clumsy but sincere go-getter" type), so I'm more annoyed by how the show keeps being determined to humiliate her. Like, I usually don't care about fanservice being objectifying or whatever, but the whole "date" setup with Lynn just felt mean-spirited. If the show keeps up like this I really might just drop it, though I'll probably give it more episode since parts of the setting and backstory do still intrigue me.

Also, whoo boy I wrote up way more words on this one episode than I probably have for both the shows I actually like this season (ID:Invaded and Darwin's Game) so far. I guess the old adage that it's easier to talk about things you find fault in than things you like is coming true here...

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Damn Eizouken is so much fun lmao. Cool rescue by making hole in the wall
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Summer Dioscuri Dream Sandstorm77's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    And the show keeps doubling down on this bizarre trope of characters being totally ignorant of their own setting's history, with Lynn having no idea who the seven Aces are despite them being legendary heroes in her world. The first time this came up was forgivable because Hina was supposed to be ridiculously sheltered from wandering on her own ever since she was a little girl, and it was much-needed exposition that had to be delivered to the audience somehow. But Lynn has seemingly been living in this society her whole life, even serving in the military, and still has never heard of her own country's national heroes before? That's just ridiculous.
    That is actually something plot related. I'm not particularly defending the series of anything, but plunderer is a weird series that doesn't get going until a while, and with it comes a variety of revelation regarding their world and some characters. After some time it basically becomes plot twist the series.

"An ideal is only an ideal after all. As long as you embrace that ideal, the friction with reality will continue to increase. So you will someday face reality and will have to pay for your compromises"

Ishuzoku Reviewers keeps proving it's anime of the year material. Holy shit, this show is fucking amazing.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Oh really? I need to watch it then

- - - Updated - - -

I only can laugh how they animate Magia Record better than FE lmao
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    What the hell In/Spectre? Two and a half episodes in and you pull a two year timeskip? You either do that stuff after the first establishing arc, or halfway through after a momentous event. Not after two rather laid back stories, and in the middle of an episode, to boot.

Then there the dissonance in Hero Aca going from Overhaul get crippled while the villains laugh away and then the super upbeat and happy new OP. Speaking of Hero Aca, if 80% of the planet has quirks, what's the difference between the cops and Hero's? Other than fancy costumes? Like sure during the assault they took away some of the cops guns, but did none of them have like a basic fireball ability or something? Or is cop the one profession for that leftover 20%?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Heroes are licensed to Quirk, while cops are licensed to investigate and incarcerate.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically heroes are on the spot personnel who cooperate with cops for long-term operations.
    canon finish apo vol 3

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    And heroing pays much better.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Also, those who not pass the test to become a hero, they still can fight crime by joining police
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ishuzoku Reviewers finally got to the lolis.
    In terms of the In/Spectre time skip, it's to make the nearly legal loli legal.