Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [5th Anniversary Campaign] Under the Same Sky

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

[5th Anniversary Campaign] Under the Same Sky

As you may know, Under the Same Sky is a special commemorative campaign where we the Japanese get special illustrations on local newspapers containing Fate/Grand Order characters in the most famous local landmarks of that newspaper's specific province. This project was first presented with a concept picture of Mash on the Shibuya Sky, the large viewing area on top of the tallest building on the Shibuya Scramble Square.

Illustration index:
    -Touhoku + Hokkaido newspapers
    -Kantou newspapers (this post)
    -Chuubu newspapers
    -Kansai newspapers
    -Chuugoku + Shikoku newspapers
    -Kyuushuu newspapers

Today the first batch was released on all participating newspapers in the Kantou administrative area.
    Tokyo
    Tokyo's illustration is Arthuria next to the Tokyo Tower, Japan's most famous radio tower. The theme here is clearly "the thing everyone knows".

Kanagawa
    Kanagawa has Rider Vinci next to the Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse. The Red Brick was a bonded warehouse built for the Meiji Government on the Yokohama pier and it remained functioning until it was abandoned in 1989 and reopened as an event hall in 2002. The Red Brick's... red brick architecture is very reminiscent of Florence's iconic brick buildings, so the chosen character was Leonardo da Vinci, born and raised in Florence.

Saitama
    Saitama has Ereshkigal in the Outer Underground Discharge Channel, an underground artificial river created as flood control mechanism, as well as a touristic museum about underground exploration. Seems like even at this special events, poor Kigal never gets to go to the surface.

Chiba
    Chiba has Georgius in the Nomizono Falls, a waterfall found in the end of the Kameiwa Cavern. I can't tell exactly why Georgius exactly, but being located at the bottom of a cave often gives the waterfall that visible light effect you see in the picture. That could be either a Saint joke or a photography joke and we'll never know which.

Tochigi
    Tochigi has Xuanzang next to the Kegon Falls. The waterfall is named after the Kegon Sutra, the Japanese name for Avatamsaka Sutra, one of the Sutras supposedly brought to China by Xuanzang.

Gunma
    Gunma has Bedivere walking aroung Oze, the giant plateau/wetland that contains the source of the Tadami River. And when I say giant, I really mean it. Oze covers Fukushima, Niigata and Gunma. I'm not sure why Bedivere was the chosen character, but my best guess is that FGO Bedi is the guy who did the absurdly long journey so he gets to walk on the biggest landmark.

Ibaraki
    Ibaraki's character is surprisingly not Ibaraki. Instead, we have Danzou in the Kairakuen, a traditional landscape garden next to Lake Senba, and one of the 3 most famous public gardens in Japan. The chosen character was Danzou because she was born in Ibaraki but then again so Ibaraki and that connection is much more easy to make.

Yamanashi
    Yamanashi's scenery is, to no one's surprise, the Mt. Fuji. The character is Bunyan because covering a giant mountain requires a giant character, I guess.

Nagano
    Nagano has Kingprotea above the clouds with Mt. Yari on the background. With a name meaning "Mt. Spear", this is where I'd like to have a Lancer character, but as with Mt. Fuji, a giant mountain sorta requires a giant character to go with it.

Shizuoka
    Shizuka has Hokusai in Obuchi Sasaba, a place considered to be the best viewing spot for the Mt. Fuji because it has these really pretty tea plantation between the viewer and the mountain. I don't need to explain why the chosen character is Hokusai since it's literally in the name of her Noble Phantasm.

Due to the nature of the event, I prioritized showcasing newspaper photographs in here, but there's also textless HD versions of the illustrations if you want any as an wallpaper or something like that.

Chuubu pictures confirmed for release on the 25th.
    Last edited by Comun; June 25th, 2022 at 09:14 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Considering Nasu just posted that he helped with the comments on each picture, I really want to see more detailed versions of these and see what the comments were.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You don't even need HD pictures. The official archive has the lines typed out on the right of the picture.

Those "textless versions" are just cropped versions. I mean, gib me the one with Paul Bunyan's water reflection intact and the whole spacial situation making the image more appealing.

​Witness The Power Of The... Suicide Squad?

US Friend Code
    George's has my favorite location/photo but Bedivere has my favorite art.

- - - Updated - - -

Danzo's is very pretty too though. Hers probably blends the best.

System ∀-99 ∀Gundam BananaShiki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manafusion View Post
    Those "textless versions" are just cropped versions. I mean, gib me the one with Paul Bunyan's water reflection intact and the whole spacial situation making the image more appealing.
    They're ripped straight from the website and are the highest resolution we have available until someone maybe scans the actual newspaper pages.

Hokusai's, Mashu's, Da Vinci's, George's and Bedi's aren't really cropped either.

Quote Originally Posted by Detective Blackstone View Post
    What if EA was in fact EA. As in Electronic Arts.

Does Gil have to buy DLC for its full power?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Fuck imouto, get power.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ohhhh nooo Bunyan is going to destroy Mount Fuji for civilization

Quote Originally Posted by BananaShiki View Post
    They're ripped straight from the website and are the highest resolution we have available until someone maybe scans the actual newspaper pages.

Hokusai's, Mashu's, Da Vinci's, George's and Bedi's aren't really cropped either.
    Let's compare:

Vs cropped:

- - - Updated - - -

You can tell it's cropped. Bottom is shorter. It thus give the image a more zoomed-in effect.

- - - Updated - - -

It's one of the less offensive pictures, yes. They tried to change the top text to match the sky. But it still has been cropped nonetheless.

EDIT: As for it being a website version... Yeah, you're right. I still feel that it could be better if it weren't... that though. The original versions without the text would be so much better.
    Last edited by manafusion; May 4th, 2020 at 02:42 AM.

Don't complain unless you can get better pictures.

Fuck imouto, get power.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaShiki View Post
    Don't complain unless you can get better pictures.
    "Don't complain about Trump unless you Americans can find a better president"? I think it's similar to that. I dunno, man. I think everyone should be complaining if only because they want better. Settling for what's available is the quickest way to not progress. Imagine if people back in the 50s all did that. We'll probably never even progress from that era since no one wants or demands any better.

That escalated quickly.

Fuck imouto, get power.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    It's a goddamn photo with a .jpg of a waifu edited into it not racial segregation

Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    It's a goddamn photo with a .jpg of a waifu edited into it not racial segregation
    I want my waifu to be in the best position and look there is. Would you prefer some kind of cucked up photo or would you prefer them in the best state possible?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Is it me or does this campaign have a very "we're all born under the same sky... the Japanese sky" energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Are they not? They're all made by a Japanese company, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Is it me or does this campaign have a very "we're all born under the same sky... the Japanese sky" energy.
    For now, yeah. Let's see if maybe each day has a different country/continent or if it's all Japan.

They announced it as japan-only. Not sure what you were expecting.

Fuck imouto, get power.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    When they first announced it I thought the Servants would be in their national dresses. But was disappointed when they said it was japan only.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The stream very clear said “themed after the 47 prefectures” with each picture being available only at the local newspaper of that specific prefecture. I don’t think FGO is big enough to reach local newspapers of every state in the world.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Some of them blend pretty nicely to the pic but hokusai is just omegalul