Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 47891011 LastLast

Thread: [EN] Lostbelt No.2: The Eternal Icy Fire Century, Götterdämmerung

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I saw someone else point it out before too. Really weird that they made a point to mention it in the story only to give it to him later on.

I guess he would have regularly, but didn't have it there because he was tied to Ophelia.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well it is EX, so maybe it's a conditional thing? Like just existing is enough for him to do it, regardless of how much magic he's supplied, but he still needs to magic to sustain himself for long enough for that to take place. Like the opposite of CCC Gil who can exist indefinitely but needs magic to NP.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    I mean, he is a volcano, he should be able to exist and burn things via the flame of his body without the need of supply. But to use the sword he requires extra magic energy.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    What are people thoughts on how they handled Sigurd and the Valkyries? I wished they had more screen time but I did enjoy Sigurd's relationship with Brynhildr.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sigurd got lucky his relationship with Bryn is great, so he ends up being great despite his terrible design and lack of screentime.

Valkyries were just a waste of time.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Yeah, I saw someone else point it out before too. Really weird that they made a point to mention it in the story only to give it to him later on.

I guess he would have regularly, but didn't have it there because he was tied to Ophelia.
    He was tied to Ophelia's eyes, and was running on a contract with Ophelia until she cut him off, so pretty close to a Servant. Well as much as a Giant like him can be considered a Servant. He needed the tree's energy to get back his power so I don't think he was exactly at full strength as his mats might imply.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    So. Just finished the Lostbelt. Overall, I liked it quite a bit! In many ways, it was better-written - definitely better-paced - than LB 1. I quite liked the story's central themes of love and tragedy (though the "Sunday" motif was a fair bit heavy-handed, and also... Kind of banal), and I think the plot mostly used them well to portray (and sometimes develop) the characters. That said, it had its flaws.

For one, Ophelia is much too passive. I'm not saying she doesn't have reason to be, she really was screwed basically from birth, and Surtur had been basically eating her soul for some time; but her passivity makes her not nearly as engaging as Kadoc, who struggles (keyword: *struggle*) with his own lack of talents and feelings of inadequacy. She's still a very interesting character, just not as interesting as Kadoc. To be fair, though, this is less a flaw and more of a preference, and even with that, Ophelia was my second-favourite character in this Lostbelt (with my favourite being "Sigurd" / Surtur).

As for actual flaws: Skadi is an alright character, but her disappearing from the story from the middle until after Surtur is released is a detriment both to herself and to the story. Brynhild and Sigurd, on the other hand, suffer from the opposite problem: it takes too long for them to show up, though at least they have a good showing once they're reunited.

Sitonai and Napoleon... *sigh* I've said this before, but Napoleon is less of a character than a character type, and here this type is employed in a particularly grating manner. Sitonai, on the other hand, is a glorified cameo. There may be some justification in her being able to summon Herakles because Illya is so dominant over the other entities, but that was just a twist, not a clever one. Honestly, they should have dropped Napoleon entirely from the story and split his role among the other characters, particularly Sitonai (Mash's bond with Ophelia could easily have been the love that saves her, for instance; it's certainly a fair bit more real than Napoleon's).

I liked the three valkyries and their interactions with Brynhild. That should have been more of a slow burner throughout the story, though, instead of just "We meet again, sister! This gives us feelings! We can't handle feelings! Now we die!".

(By the way, to the people who say Surtur had no "feats": guys, he had already destroyed the world by himself, and just him being restored to full power is enough to start destroying the world *again*. The fact that Herakles directly aided by Skadi, Ortlinde, Sigurd and Brynhild held off his attack for a few seconds does not diminish his accomplishments.
    To put it another way: Ivan turned himself into a colossal beast to survive the catastrophe that destroyed his world, Surtur *was* the catastrophe.)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That scene does diminish Surtr's feats quite a bit for me. This living embodiment of fire and destruction didn't manage to destroy a single city. They can pile up as many names as they like on the defender side, but it ends up being underwhelming nonetheless.

This chapter really needed a map change after Surtr starts marching towards the tree, something similar to Babylonia, and it feels really lazy that they didn't do it.

I mean, it's a century of ice and fire but the only fire we see are those ethereal, harmless flames on the mountains. Half the map should've been incinerated after he leaves the fake Sun.

JP Friend Code
    Yeah should've made it so that you take damage (either with burn or lose HP) like the Chaos Tide draining HP per turn. Heck, throw in the quake effect causes by Chaos Tide and Tiamat in there too (I know it's an extremely annoying battle condition in gameplay, but it works), Surtr is a giant, he should cause a bit of earthquake as he walks.

This chapter really needed a map change after Surtr starts marching towards the tree, something similar to Babylonia, and it feels really lazy that they didn't do it.

I mean, it's a century of ice and fire but the only fire we see are those ethereal, harmless flames on the mountains. Half the map should've been incinerated after he leaves the fake Sun.
    Oh, yeah, that would have been really cool!
    In terms of gameplay, the fight with him was a bit underwhelming, too. His Noble Phantasm should have dealt more damage, at the least.

Come to think of it, there really was no point in having another boss fight with the Tree of Emptiness, it should have just been a third unit or something similar at Skadi's boss fight - *that's* the one with the dramatic weight.

Really, the best boss fights were those with "Sigurd", particularly after Gram is unleashed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    Yeah should've made it so that you take damage (either with burn or lose HP) like the Chaos Tide draining HP per turn.
    He did inflict Burn, though. Lots of it, in fact.

Dueling with Giant Robots to achieve Understanding naschyamamoto's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Surtr caused me about as much trouble as Sitting EX from Shimousa, so I wouldn't consider him easy, at least.

I have to admit that Ophelia's backstory and the "Sunday" implications kind of went over my head a bit. Like, I get that she had a Mystic Eye capable of seeing+sealing possibilities, and that it was a catalyst for Surtr as well as something that caused her trouble before she came to Chaldea. But I don't understand why Sunday was such an important day for her parents, or what exactly they even wanted her to do that traumatized her so much.

Napoleon was like a mixture of qualities from Kamina and Iskandar, particularly the former, and for the most part he was pretty entertaining. My problem with him was his connection to Ophelia and his whole thing about "loving someone new every time I'm summoned". That struck me as a little too absurd to really believe in, and it wasn't helped by his tempestuous history with marriage or him flirting with Skadi, the Valkyries, Da Vinci and Brynhildr to some extent or another. (Whoever decided to give him the line "You'll be a beauty when you're a few years older" or whatnot... that was kinda yikes.) I can understand him being called forth somehow because of Ophelia's wish for a miracle, since that factors so strongly into his interpretation here. But I just found it hard to believe that Napoleon really cared for Ophelia, or that Ophelia ever actually had feelings for him beyond "impressive but annoying/overly flirtatious servant".

Also, his Noble Phantasm reads like a Trap Card in Yugioh that's designed for a single specific moment in an unrealistic anime duel and never used again. It does what the duelist(or Master, here) needs it to do, to advance the gamestate and further the plot. Kind of like Stella on steroids, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    There was contributing. And suggestions and . . . okay a bunch of people demanding me to write this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    Well yeah, that last one always happens.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by naschyamamoto View Post
    Napoleon was like a mixture of qualities from Kamina and Iskandar, particularly the former, and for the most part he was pretty entertaining. My problem with him was his connection to Ophelia and his whole thing about "loving someone new every time I'm summoned". That struck me as a little too absurd to really believe in, and it wasn't helped by his tempestuous history with marriage or him flirting with Skadi, the Valkyries, Da Vinci and Brynhildr to some extent or another.
    It struck me as the kind of thing he says because it's mostly true and because he'd like it to be true.

(Whoever decided to give him the line "You'll be a beauty when you're a few years older" or whatnot... that was kinda yikes.) I can understand him being called forth somehow because of Ophelia's wish for a miracle, since that factors so strongly into his interpretation here. But I just found it hard to believe that Napoleon really cared for Ophelia, or that Ophelia ever actually had feelings for him beyond "impressive but annoying/overly flirtatious servant".
    The first bit is a Japan-ism, the second bit is incredibly common in any sort of shoujo/josei/otome thing, the overly persistent overly flirty overly presumptuous would-be-creepy-if-it-weren't-a-handsome-dude dude, only Napoleon makes it significantly less creepy by not just strolling up to her and touching her face and hair or pinning her against a wall or insert other cliche here. The entire chapter is basically a reverse harem, only Guda isn't the main character.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by naschyamamoto View Post
    Surtr caused me about as much trouble as Sitting EX from Shimousa, so I wouldn't consider him easy, at least.
    No, not easy. Just a bit underwhelming, I'd say. It's more of a general symptom with this game, but we've had plenty of fights where the boss just had a boatload of HPs and could attack all units at once. These fights need to be more creative.

But I don't understand why Sunday was such an important day for her parents, or what exactly they even wanted her to do that traumatized her so much.
    The way I understood it, it's because on Sunday she was basically left to herself, which she absolutely hated because then she couldn't pretend everything was fine because "that's how a magus' life is", her life really was crap and she hated it.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Knowing about creepy japanisms and shitty tropes doesn't really redeem those moments. Didn't for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    The entire chapter is basically a reverse harem, only Guda isn't the main character.
    And Ophelia is too passive, so that aspect of the plot isn't as engaging as it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    And Ophelia is too passive, so that aspect of the plot isn't as engaging as it could be.
    I actually like how they brought that back into the forefront. Ophelia is passive for a good deal of the story, she's playing it safe and taking advantage of her position with the King of the Lost Belt. And then her Servant loses, and things go to absolute hell. That's when things pick up, and she eventually starts to become more active. It ties into the fact that her Servant was the container of the apocalypse. Or Ragnarok I should say.
    Leviathan
    Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Idk if it was brought in this thread or not but did anybody else found it weird that Sitonai wanted to be called Illya? I don't remember any of the other pseudo servants wanted to be called by the body's name it's using.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoole View Post
    Idk if it was brought in this thread or not but did anybody else found it weird that Sitonai wanted to be called Illya? I don't remember any of the other pseudo servants wanted to be called by the body's name it's using.
    Well, she has three people so that's why.
    Besides, it's just another level of pandering. She's Illya guys! You can even just call her Illya! Berserker is here! Her bear is named Shiro wink wink

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well, she has three people so that's why.
    Besides, it's just another level of pandering. She's Illya guys! You can even just call her Illya! Berserker is here! Her bear is named Shiro wink wink
    The weird thing is that Illya already exists in FGO. As a SSR, no less. If you want to pander to Fate how about a 5* Emiya? Or given the region, Luvia? Maybe if you wanted to play more into the daughter of Scathach thing, go with the other Irish Fate character Bazett? Or go full left field and go Ayako or one of the track trio? There's so many to choose from.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prisma Illya appeals to a different crowd. This one """is""" FSN Illya.

Why none of the other characters? I imagine it's because they're not as popular. Also, snow chapter = snow character.