Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 LastLast

Thread: Summer 2020 Anime. It's A Thing, I Guess.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Caught up to ep 6 of Great Pretender this morning. Have to say the show is still fun and I love Abby, but I'm getting a little tired of the "Laurent had everyone in his pocket" twist. Granted this is a show about con-artists but not only is it getting repetitive, it just seems like the show is kind of shooting itself in the foot by presenting emotionally sincere moments (like Edamura finally resolving to leave a life of crime and find happiness in an honest job) only to immediately undercut them by revealing he was just playing to Laurent's tune the whole time.

At this point it almost feels like Edamura is in an abusive relationship with Laurent, where he continually tries to get away from this guy he knows is bad for him but keeps getting dragged back in. Heck, Laurent's machinations this episode was basically textbook gaslighting, since he convinces Edamura to doubt pretty much his whole life over the last four months (thinking he was working his way up in an honest job when he was just getting secretly recruited by Laurent to have skills that look passably enough like a real mechanic's) to get Edamura to join him again. That's the kind of thing that can give someone a mental disorder.

The show seemingly wants us to view Laurent as a loveable rogue type character, but honestly he feels more like a weird creep, and I don't get why he's even so obsessed with Edamura in the first place. I hope somewhere along the line we get a genuinely honest character who if not beats Laurent at least wipes that smug smirk off his face for a while.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Third arc has him in a mimimal role, focusing more on Cynthia.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Third arc has him in a mimimal role, focusing more on Cynthia.
    I don't mind Laurent as a character, but he's really not a good person (at least seeming that way so far) and I'm not sure if the show realizes that.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    KAI

JU

RAIL

GUNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    I don't mind Laurent as a character, but he's really not a good person (at least seeming that way so far) and I'm not sure if the show realizes that.
    They're all not good people, they're professional thieves. Maybe with the exception of Edamame who's trying to change, but isn't very dedicated to it.

The Millionaire Detective - Balance: UNLIMITED Episode 10: Haru actually managed to fire his is gun again, and he didn't have to kill anyone. So that's a good thing. The moment when Daisuke's suit worked was amazing. Right when he goes to confront his father though, Shigemru runs off to the place where their family went for vacation. So that final confrontation will be next episode.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Alice is cute. SAO is fun.

I can't wait for SAO Progressive.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    So SAO's over until progressive. This was a legit great show. Seriously unironically 9/10 at least. Don't try to argue with me or change my mind. I won't. Trying to can only end badly, as anyone who knows me and has seen me start shit in the past can tell you. I just want to speak my mind once, with that once being now the end of Alicization. I'm really hype for Progressive
    Feel free to ignore this post of mine and we'll all be happier
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Cool Kaiju fights and I like cocky Mikoto.
    Even now, I still don't understand the scientific explanation of how Doppleganger's work, other than the twist that it is not an actual soul controlling ability.

Fire Force Season 2 Episode 7: So there's all sorts of weird stuff outside around the area Shinra and the rest of them are going, like talking animals and giant snakes. And it all has to do with what might be a Edola Burst. The creepiest part of this episode was just seeing all of those Infernals, there were like hundreds of them. And also learning the fact that they don't just die on their own, so those ones have been around for years...
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Digimon Adventure Episode 16: Feels a bit weird going back to a multi-parter format after so many standalone episodes but a good episode nonetheless. Eyesmon was very creepy until he just started chucking buildings at people and I started flashing back to the final boss in KH2. Having the gang back together is always nice and seeing an all Perfect raid battle against Eyesmon was very gratifying.

Can't wait for next week to see Orochimon.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    Gotten up to episode 8 of Great Pretender and I'm kind of confused now. Edamura tricks Sam into bringing him in as a mechanic by pretending that he was the one who sabotaged Lewis' plane, but having actually done (or at least ordered) the sabotage himself wouldn't Sam immediately know he's lying? I feel like at this point the show's convoluted gambits have lost me a little.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's to show that he didn't actually do it. Remember Lewis was supposed to take a dive, no one knew he was going to actually try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    It's to show that he didn't actually do it. Remember Lewis was supposed to take a dive, no one knew he was going to actually try.
    Well, earlier in the episode Edamura and the others still thought Sam somehow knew beforehand and rigged the bomb. If at some point they figured out that wasn't the case it was never shown on-screen, though I guess I'll find out shortly in the next few episodes.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    ok, Eyesmon is great. Love that he is a Champion level and yet the heroes need to gang on him in their Ultimate. A nice inversion that the heroes Ultimates are above all the Ultimates being shown so far, and a good setup for Devimon being stronger too.
    Last edited by Spartacus; September 20th, 2020 at 07:19 PM.

Muhyo and Roji Season 2 Episode 12: Season 3 has been pretty much confirmed and I'm so happy about that. I've been rereading the manga too, and noticing all the different terms between the two. I don't know why they wouldn't be consistent and keep them the same. There's also some cases that have left out of the anime too, and some scenes are just a lot better in the manga. But I still the anime though, I think it's been a good adaptation despite that. So if you've been watching the anime, I'd love if you read the manga too.
    Last edited by Laserman; September 23rd, 2020 at 11:53 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    That suffering is clearly beating the season 1. Echidna's true motive show how mess up she is
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Deca-dence over. I love the show. Was loads of fun.
    Finished Fugo Keiji, No Guns Life and Great Pretender
    FK's final resolution didn't land well for me, but it still had some good moments. Show itself was great thanks to it's 2 protagonists. Nice little show
    NGL was a pretty interesting sci-fi tale and I love a lot of what the 2nd half did with characters and such. Amazing show not enough people watch
    GP was a blast from start to finish. Really great show with some touching moments. There's 2 things in the ending that can be controversial, but not enough to ruin the show
    Also, Lapis Re Lights. That was a fun, cute show with plenty shippy stuff. I loved all the characters in the end. Certainlly great
    And the final show I forgot. Houkago Teibo Nisshi. Girls were cute and great and I love how it went into different ways of fishing for different fish and how different fish are cooked.
    Umayon was short and funny reminder of Uma Musume and I'm glad S2 of the main show is coming
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Misfit Demon King: You know, I've heard talk that this show is actually a parody of the overpowered magic highschool LN genre, but if so then it's pulled a Medeka Box on itself, only it never had the humour that Medeka started with. A parody is great but if you can't tell it's a parody then it seems like you're just trying to excuse yourself for making something bad in the first place. Best part of this episode, aside for being right with the call I made 6 episodes ago about the best friend being the Hero, is him after mowing down twenty generic knights,saying that this new group looks tough when they are literally the exact same characters as the group he just beat without taking a hit.

God of Highschool: I kind of love how bad the OP song is for this show. It feels so mid 2000's to me. The generic start, the sudden bad techno, then the even worse random airhorn. Have to admit though, for a guy who wants to summon literal giant deity with lasers, he seems surprised that one of the many Nuclear powers in close proximity would try to flatten them in the middle of the plan.

Re:Zero: Speaking of music the ED for this season is pretty strong for those end of episode climaxes. It's no Roundabout or Orphan's Tears, but that piano bit really meshes with Subaru's dramatic declarations of intent.

Fruit's Basket: And the season on the Akito reveal. I remember being blown away when I first read the manga, because it treated it as something shocking, but I had thought that was the case since the beginning. It was only when I watched the old anime where they went the other way that I got why everyone was so surprised.

Fire Force: Of course the guy who's named Joker quotes the Steve Miller Band for his final attack. I'm guessing "Midnight Thinker" is because toker would be too much for drug acknowledgement for Japan.

No Guns Life: Oh God, Why? the occasional crowd shot walking down a street is fine for the level of CG they have, but the big climatic fight? Holy shit that was brutal to watch. I'd rather they just cut in the ED fight instead.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Contradiction is a straight banger and the second best part of the adaptation after the Triple Kick (Colored Ver.).
    canon finish apo vol 3