Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proper Nasuverse terminology

Proper Nasuverse terminology

Shouldn't we try to discuss and maybe even create an official terminology in the Nasuverse to avoid confusion? As an example magecraft could become magic (to align it with Magic circuits) and True Magic could become sorcery.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And what should
    ソーサリー
    妖術
    become?

Blog Entries
    we have an official terminology - it's called Japanese
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    we have an official terminology - it's called Japanese
    Yeah, that's obvious. But to avoid confusion we could choose how we translate the various things. I mean, it would be good if we could avoid confusion. There are some people that because of some mistranslations believe that Solomon has true magic. The whole thread is about how we could avoid these situations.

I don't think even the 'official' translations use the same terms, so goooood luck

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That's a neat ideal to pursue but how this person we don't know translates is completely beyond our control. Fandom is an unified mass everyone can see in full and regulate. Besides we already have the consensus you're asking for in the form of magecraft vs magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    I don't think even the 'official' translations use the same terms, so goooood luck
    I suppose that when even the 'official' translations don't follow rules there is nothing we can do about it. Contradicting itself is all Type-Moon does nowadays.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Why the quotation marks on 'official'?

I'm sure some people would complain if I didn't put it in quotation marks

US Friend Code
    From what I can see the majority consensus largely seems to be Magecraft and True Magic as is, although there are people who use other terms.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone tends to know what you're talking about anyway no matter which you use.

There are a lot of issues with this and reasons why it's not as easy as you might seem to think.

First and foremost is that there is no collective "we" within the fandom. It doesn't matter if we, the users/regulars of BL, discuss and decide on some sort of "standard" because a lot of translations come out of Reddit, Tumblr, or just from people who don't even engage with the community on social media like that. That would really just mean that you'd now have BL terminology, Reddit terminology, and so on. It doesn't solve anything, it just condenses and categorizes the already existing issue.

Secondly, I believe there is an issue of the fandom not "wanting to standardize terminology". An example of this is how not long ago we in the Mahoyo translation group decided to change terminology to deviate from the magecraft/magic naming, and although we presented our reasons for doing so pretty clearly and, in our opinion, convincingly, those who disagree mostly seem to do so on the basis of "this is not what I am used to". It doesn't matter what you decide on or that terminology is already all over the place, because people will pick isolated instances of their favorite versions of a term and vehemently stick to it because that's what they've decided is right. Just look at how long it took to get "Knight of Honor" changed on the wiki some time ago.

Then you have other issues, such as official translations differing. We already have several such examples where official release terminology greatly deviates from "fandom standard", so if the fandom decides on anything, shouldn't they if anything decide to follow the officially released translations so as to not alienate people who come into the fandom from "legit" sources? But then pretty much all those official releases differ from each other as well, so which ones do you follow?
    Not to mention that, say that in a very hypothetical scenario we came together as a fandom and everyone decided on a standard to be used from now and forever. Now what happens to all the old stuff? Is someone gonna have to go back and change old translations and patches to change out terminology? Because otherwise all you've accomplished is to confuse people who come from older material into newer material, or vice versa, because you've changed it all up in an ironic effort to be "consistent".

And finally, aside from the usual suspects - magecraft and magic, and all their variations, which I assume are also the driving force behind this very post to begin with - most terminology is in fact more or less standardized. There is very very little you'll run into outside of those terms where you might think "oh, I thought that was called something else" unless you're reading Coke's KnK translation or FGO NA translations, and honestly, everyone knows those are not good standards, so it's moot either way.
    This is in addition to what Reign said as well: in context, people will almost always know what you're talking about either way. This is more specific to the magic terminology, but honestly I can't think of many cases where the translation could be so vague so as to not clue the reader in whether it's talking about science-magic or 5-ultimate-magic. And other terminology won't even have this issue, because even if word choices might differ somewhat for other terms, the full term will be similar enough that you won't actually confuse it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mementore View Post
    Shouldn't we try to discuss and maybe even create an official terminology in the Nasuverse to avoid confusion?.
    Yeah, it's Matthew and Senior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    radix.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    591286971/Lead
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    As Saber said that, a pale light lit the area.
    A soft glow like that of a firefly filled the room, illuminating Ayaka's surprised face.
    A watery globe the size of a marble floated into the air, emanating light.
    "You can use demon law...?"
    "It's demon techniques, not demon law."
    "I don't really know the difference."
    "Things that can be recreated by human hands with time and effort are demon techniques. The creation of miracles that contemporary people can never achieve is called demon law... I think. I'm no magus, so I'm not too versed in the details, but it seems that much of the demon law has become demon techniques with the progress of science."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    As Saber said that, a pale light lit the area.
    A soft glow like that of a firefly filled the room, illuminating Ayaka's surprised face.
    A watery globe the size of a marble floated into the air, emanating light.
    "You can use magic...?"
    "It's juggling, not magic."
    "I don't really know the difference."
    "Things that can be recreated by human hands with time and effort are juggling. The creation of miracles that contemporary people can never achieve is called magic... I think. I'm no juggler, so I'm not too versed in the details, but it seems that much of magic has become juggling with the progress of science."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    As Seibaa said that, a pale hikari lit the shuui.
    A soft hikari like that of a hotaru filled the dokubou, illuminating Ayaka no surprised kao.
    A suikyuu the size of a biidama floated into the chuu, emanating hikari.
    "You can use mahou...?"
    "It's majutsu, not mahou."
    "I don't really know the chigai."
    "Things that can be recreated by hito no te with toki to tema are majutsu. The creation of kiseki that gendaijin can never achieve is called mahou... I think. I'm no majutsushi, so I'm not too versed in the details, but it seems that much of mahou has become majutsu with the progress of kagaku."
    Once more.

JP Friend Code
    What about "divine construct" and Extella Link's official "weapon made for God himself"?

Blog Entries
    what's the official translation for bunrei?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Can't say about /EXTRA or /Extella, but FGO alternates between "soul", "manifestation", "Divided Spirit", "divided spirit" and maybe others.

I'd go with "actually Tamamo" and be right most of the time.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mementore View Post
    Shouldn't we try to discuss and maybe even create an official terminology in the Nasuverse to avoid confusion? As an example magecraft could become magic (to align it with Magic circuits) and True Magic could become sorcery.
    Oh, we (the People) did try that. Several times.

Will never work since new fan translations, official translations and official furigana are made all the time and they tend to dynamite all conventions.

The only unchanging truth is that Saber is Altria.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; July 19th, 2020 at 09:18 AM.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    I'd go with "actually Tamamo" and be right most of the time.
    Bunrei is used for Quetzalcoatl, Jaguar Man, FGO Irisveil, Kiara and Chiyome more often than it's used for Tamamo tho (read: the word was used twice in their mats). It's about Tamamo as often as it's about Yu Meiren (read: the word was used once in their mats).