Page 94 of 103 FirstFirst ... 448489929394959699 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2049

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Completion! First Day!

Continuing . . .

Class 2

Pet the kitty.
    Pet the kitty.

The kitty is soft.
    The kitty is warm.
    You want to pet the kitty.
    Pet the kitty.

Pet the kitty . . .

It was tempting to blame Ilya. After all, she had needed a monster, or more specifically, a boogeyman; the biggest, baddest, “fuck EVERYTHING” option that could possibly be imagined, so that no one would ever dare to mess with the Holy Grail, EVER again. But it wasn’t Ilya’s fault, not really—the Foreigner Class was essentially his nature; Existence Beyond the Domain was a very literal description of him. And being a facet of the Class, not exactly something he could turn off . . .

Galen didn’t want to look at the loves of his life and see celluloid images—ink and paint or photographic.

And so, he concentrated on Mirai and the three concepts he’d tried his best to project when she and her sister were kittens: warm, soft, safe. Her colouring had changed, but the meaning of that look had not; nor the half-lidded one that counted as a “smile” on the face of a contented cat. And as long as he could see that, focus on that, it was OK.

Some of his fondest—and almost more important, longest-running—memories involved petting small furry animals and feeling their pleasure at it. Cats weren’t the first, but their purring conveyed it more thoroughly, giving the memories a bigger weight. And concentrating on that made it easier not to look around him and see the brushstrokes that made up the drawings that comprised this world—though it became harder to avoid every time someone opened their mouth . . .

Pet the kitty.
    Pet the kitty.

The kitty is soft.
    The kitty is warm.
    You want to pet the kitty.
    Pet the kitty.

Pet the kitty . . .

He closed his eyes, drawing on his Occlumency—and he could, weirdly enough. He was not a Heroic Spirit, still, but this time, there was a legend for him to draw on that was his own. “Galen Salvatore” might never match King Arthur or Jack the Ripper in the public consciousness, but that life had seemingly achieved enough of an “urban myth” status that, like Asagami Fujino under Fate/Grand Order rules, he could be used by the Counter Force . . .

(Of course, it’d be like using a nuclear bomb as a land mine—as likely to obliterate what it was meant to protect as to save it—but it was, as he understood it, theoretically possible. So, in the end, more like Okita Alter than Fujino, he supposed.)

I wonder if I’d be a Caster or an Archer, under normal rules . . .? Or “Gunner,” I suppose, if that ever gets off the “joke Extra Class” list . . .

Galen inhaled deeply, and exhaled slowly, trying to wrestle his train of thought back to something approaching coherent and consistent. It wasn’t easy; he’d always been prone to daydreaming and going off on tangents, and his current perspective encouraged it. By the same token, the identity he’d forged (albeit with a lot of help) had never yielded to anything—and pitting that aspect of himself against the other eventually resulted in something approaching his normal equilibrium.

Now, how bad is this . . .?

As far as threats went, the “students” themselves were a mixed bag; they were all anime-level powerful, with all the ludicrously over-the-top elements that implied. That Kazuma and crew were geared more towards a parody of such things, for example, didn’t mean that Aqua wasn’t a goddess, that Megumin couldn’t blow up castles on a whim, and that Darkness couldn’t tank explosions of that level with minimal injury—and the cast of Overlord was worse. That this world itself skewed even farther into comedy, to the point it was outright stated (if obliquely) to run on the concept of “don’t think about it too hard,” was a help, as it meant that things were less likely to be lethal, but not as much as the casual observer might believe.

According to Season 2, there is an ongoing plot here, behind and beyond the “slice-of-life” antics. Sure, the info came from Roswaal—whom I trust not even as far as I could throw Fluffy without using a wand, and would cheerfully disembowel after Re:Zero’s second season—but the reactions of the other staff imply that they’re at least somewhat aware of it, as well. . . Not to mention just as bound by the rules of this place as the “students.”

Could he stop it? Sure—by making good on Ilya’s threat and literally shredding all of reality like confetti, as Aoko had put it, and he absolutely could; he was trying not to do it by accident, for God’s sake! However, as Daffy Duck said, “But I can only do it once”—which limited its efficacy as a threat.

Not to mention the risk to the others, which apparently now includes—

No—he was not going to think about that until they were out of the classroom. That was a freak-out that deserved and demanded more attention than he could afford to spare . . .

Oh, crap, Aqua was about to—!

Panic galvanised both focus and power, as Galen flexed the abilities he now possessed, not to mention the sheer malleability of this particular setting, even as he shielded Mirai with himself—

“Nope.”

The results were . . . Gratifying, if no less disorienting in an entirely different way. Aqua’s divine-tier magic washed over him like the simple light it was, and only the claws digging into his lap kept everything else from following suit; and Hermione’s reaction—well, it was hardly unexpected, was it?

Still, he had to fight off a smirk at the blush on her face when Roswaal called her out; it wasn’t often anymore that Hermione looked so embarrassed, and forgetting that she was in a classroom, of all things, was amusing considering it was her. It was also worth noting that Kazuma and Subaru recognised her.

Kazuma’s a noted gamer and anime fan with a fair bit of Internet savvy—that he recognises Hermione isn’t too surprising. Subaru’s a little more so, since he seems to be more into manga than media in general, never mind Western media; on the other hand, they’re both of an age to have been kids when the books and movies were at their height. Tanya, naturally, was too mature for such in her first life, and her second is almost a century prior to the Harry Potter phenomenon. Ainz . . . Didn’t the light novels imply that he was from a century or two ahead of the twenty-first? Harry Potter probably faded from the public consciousness by then.

It likely wouldn’t amount to problems—just things to keep in mind as they searched for common ground. The thought that popped into his head from his usual backseat commentator—that snarky little corner of his mind that just loved to make him miserable—had other thoughts that were worth worrying about.

What are the odds, on the other hand, that Kazuma and/or Subaru would recognise TYPE-MOON . . .?

And after chilling Galen’s blood with that observation, it proceeded to deliver the knockout blow.

And you know, if Hermione hadn’t been stopped, Takara likely wouldn’t be the only pregnant one in the family by the end of the day—and she still might not be, once you get to wherever they’ve stashed you around here . . .

Stifling the urge to groan, for several reasons, Galen resumed petting the kitty—it really was the only thing keeping him sane, right now.

Hermione was mortified—and for the first time in almost a decade, not in a literal sense.

It was only the years she’d spent learning Occlumency that kept her from hyperventilating; she hadn’t done that since she was twelve and doing so would only add to her embarrassment. Fortunately, she had learned Occlumency, which eventually won out against her newly reawakened hormones.

In some ways, it felt like she’d lost several layers of skin; in others, like she’d unfrozen. Her body felt everything again, and everything about her body was working—she was fully and completely alive, and in a lot of ways, she felt like a raw nerve. She’d been “the living undead,” as Galen occasionally put it, for nearly the last (or most recent, at least) third of her life; adjusting back was taking more than a little mental re-shuffling. This was not in the least bit helped by her currently-racing heart, either, which was not only because she was human again. After all, her body had just been interrupted in the middle of making out with her husband . . .

A bit less embarrassing than being caught making out with my wife, she decided. Not that Hermione was at all ashamed of it—but they were surrounded by teenagers and young adults (or their equivalent, as with Albedo or Aqua) with all the stereotypical perversions that anime endowed them with. She wasn’t in a mood to titillate them just yet—or at all, really, but she’d spent too long defending her relationships to allow herself to deny them, either.

And with this and the baby, things are definitely going to change . . .

But that, Hermione decided, was a topic for after school—one of several, really. In the meantime, they had to decide just how much to share with the rest of the class; a task made somewhat more difficult by her bloodlink’s sudden cessation—but not impossible.

To the outside, it simply looked like a series of trading glances; the sort of wordless communication a longstanding unit could engage in. Professionally, it surprised no one they dealt with, though few even suspected, much less realised, the involvement of Legilimency. And while Galen’s frame of mind was potentially dangerous to meddle in, right now, Takara had no such issues. The two witches traded ideas and concepts back and forth, even as the expected round of introductions caused Galen to hum the Isekai Quartet theme distractedly.

“I’m Subaru Natsuki—I’m not only clueless, I’m broke beyond compare!”

“Major Tanya von Degurechaff, 203rd Aerial Mage Division of the Imperial Army.”

“I’m Kazuma, she’s Aqua, that’s Meg, and ignore that one.”

“I am the mighty AINZ OOAL GOWN!”

Hm—the introductions are quite similar to the song, aren’t they . . .?

Taking that as her cue, she rose to her feet.

“Hermione Granger,” she introduced herself. “As some of you obviously know, I’m a resident of what’s called ‘the Wizarding World’—and I work for the Ministry of Magic there.”

She specifically didn’t mention where; those who did know her “canon” history would presumably believe that she was in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, working her way towards the Minister for Magic position that Rowling’s canon eventually gave her.

(So long as she married Ron Weasley, at any rate—and that still stung. The bitterness as a result of heartbreak, Hermione could accept, but why would anyone think that she wouldn’t pursue—or even double down on—her ambitions because of a boy, never mind who . . .?)

In any case, there was no need to mention her actual job placement, or her status within Whitehall—it likely wouldn’t matter regardless, but it had never hurt to have a few surprises stashed away.

Salvatore Takara, desu,” her wife introduced herself, bowing politely (though gingerly, given her recent upheaval). “I work as a mediwitch—which is equivalent to a field medic—and medical researcher in the Wizarding World’s premiere London hospital. And as he’s likely loath to disturb the comfortable-looking cat, I’ll also introduce Salvatore Galen, my husband—”

HUSBAND?!

The exclamation burst from more than one throat, which was not unexpected; after all, with they way they’d aged, her spouses were biologically around nineteen. And Hermione, of course, was biologically seventeen, despite anticipating her twenty-sixth birthday in two and a half weeks. And while it might not be unusual for people in most of the societies their new classmates came from to marry comparatively young, they were young enough to not be comfortable with throwing the fact around as casually as Takara just had. Add that to the romantic natures of some of them, and an explosion was practically guaranteed, really—and the resulting chaos distracted anyone from at least voicing a question about what it was Galen actually did for a living.

Hermione resisted the urge to smirk—it would be a dead giveaway, after all . . .

Although—Rem, Emilia, and Viktoriya Serebryakov being part of the outburst was expected—they were young (or mostly so, in Emilia's case), the former romantic and in love herself, the latter two “girlish” enough to enjoy such things. Likewise with Albedo and Shalltear Bloodfallen (the former more than the latter), as a trigger for their own fantasies regarding their lord. The same might possibly be true of Megumin, Darkness and Ram, though their personalities were such that they’d generally make it less obvious.

Kazuma’s joining in, on the other hand, was a surprise—along with the rest of the 203rd (minus Tanya, naturally)? Why on earth would . . .?

Hermione frowned, considered that line of thought, and then sighed.

I withdraw the question . . .

Hopefully, the soldiers had enough discipline to take the ring as “fair warning”—if not, she supposed, it was always an option to complain to Tanya.

(She allowed herself a tiny smirk on noting the shiver that silently went down a number of spines out of the corner of her eye—a small benefit of being in a comedy world when you knew how things worked.)

Kazuma, on the other hand, was a trickier problem. He had a number of stealth techniques and made a point of not bowing to conventional wisdom, decency, or morality unless he felt like it. On top of that, he could cast spells, so he might not count as “mundane” to the standard Repelling Charms—and he was one of the few who might have, in this room . . .

Hermione stifled a sigh. Another element to consider for later—but for now, she supposed, they ought to simply try and get through today. At least this particular “episode” ended after introductions, as she recalled.

After class

“HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!”

“I knew I was forgetting something . . .” Takara muttered, in sync with her spouses.

In her defence, however, she was less of an otaku than her husband, and lacked Hermione’s ability to rifle through his memories. However, Takara concealed her muttering by turning it into a formal bow, intending to try and brush off the confrontation by claiming a bathroom emergency—wait, wasn’t Aqua supposed to attack Ainz after class?

What’s going on here . . .?

Straightening up, she found herself facing—

HUH?!
    Last edited by Kieran; July 5th, 2021 at 09:12 AM.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    ...you lost me, man. Sorry about that, at any rate.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry to hear that - where, and how so?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    The whole chapter, actually. I'm sorry, it just confused me because I don't have a point of reference to go with.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    The whole chapter, actually. I'm sorry, it just confused me because I don't have a point of reference to go with.
    Granted, it is Part 8 of the Trinity/Isekai Quartet crossover, and I forgot to note such in the title - and for that, I'm sorry. But there is a link to the preceding chapter under "Continuing . . .", and I do add that to each successive chapter, so you should be able to go back and re-read the entire thing, if necessary.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    It is a bit dense with references, especially if you haven't read the preceding parts, and the actual show (and component shows) helps with context. Nice to see the first-person perspectives this time, rather than observing Galen/Hermione from the outside. At the same time though, it's a lot more fun to see everyone else's reactions to Galen's existence in this series. The description of what Existence Beyond the Domain does to his view is interesting, and the mantra repetition definitely fits how he's been behaving.

Not to mention the risk to the others, which apparently now includes—

No—he was not going to think about that until they were out of the classroom. That was a freak-out that deserved and demanded more attention than he could afford to spare . . .
    To be fair to Xamusel, this is reference to the first chapter of this crossover, so leaving it unspoken might be a bit confusing. I had to take a moment to recall the context.

And you know, if Hermione hadn’t been stopped, Takara likely wouldn’t be the only pregnant one in the family by the end of the day—and she still might not be, once you get to wherever they’ve stashed you around here . . .
    I also don't quite parse what's going on here. Hadn't been stopped referring to vampirism freezing biology? And wherever they've stashed you meaning.... oh, their housing accomodations, so Mirai's stamina reference is topical. That didn't feel like a clear way to refer to housing, I had a moment of wondering if Galen was astrally projecting or something, and his body was in stasis elsewhere. Given he's a Foreigner it didn't seem impossible.

So long as she married Ron Weasley, at any rate—and that still stung
    Oblique Cursed Child reference? Brutal.

Kazuma’s joining in, on the other hand, was a surprise—along with the rest of the 203rd (minus Tanya, naturally)? Why on earth would . . .?
    Cultured.

wait, wasn’t Aqua supposed to attack Ainz after class?
    This is not enough context for me to be sure that this is Aqua plus some unspecified others they're encountering, though I'm leaning towards thinking that on a second read. If that is the case, I could use a tiny bit more context about whose voice they heard.
    Kazuma seems quite likely to be there, given his perspective last snippet, but it could be literally anyone. Obviously you're intending to conceal some things for cliffhanger purposes, but the identify of the speaker doesn't seem like one of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    It is a bit dense with references, especially if you haven't read the preceding parts, and the actual show (and component shows) helps with context.
    Yes - one the reasons I hesitate to make this a full fic despite the fun I'm having . . . Well, that plus the idea that I can split the Seven among the component shows as a sequel . . .

Nice to see the first-person perspectives this time, rather than observing Galen/Hermione from the outside. At the same time though, it's a lot more fun to see everyone else's reactions to Galen's existence in this series.
    Not unlike Ainz, if you think about it.

The description of what Existence Beyond the Domain does to his view is interesting, and the mantra repetition definitely fits how he's been behaving.
    Yeah - he's trying to focus on things being real, when his nature is trying to tell him (and the rest of the universe) that it's not . . . And I have to figure that it works like Madness Enhancement for Berserkers - yes, it's a Skill that grants power, and is intrinsic to the Class, but it's not exactly a good thing for anybody around them.

To be fair to Xamusel, this is reference to the first chapter of this crossover, so leaving it unspoken might be a bit confusing. I had to take a moment to recall the context.
    Agreed.

I also don't quite parse what's going on here. Hadn't been stopped referring to vampirism freezing biology?
    More that Hermione had been making out with him to the point that clothes were liable to be removed, if Roswaal hadn't reminded her where they were . . .

And wherever they've stashed you meaning.... oh, their housing accomodations, so Mirai's stamina reference is topical. That didn't feel like a clear way to refer to housing, I had a moment of wondering if Galen was astrally projecting or something, and his body was in stasis elsewhere. Given he's a Foreigner it didn't seem impossible.
    My apologies for not being clearer. To be honest, I'm still curious about where everybody does live, in-series - Emilia is the only one we see in her room, and it looks like her room in Re:Zero - but you'd have to think that if Ainz had access to Nazarick's resources, he'd use them . . . And if Kazuma had his mansion, he'd go back to being a "hiki-NEET."

Oblique Cursed Child reference? Brutal.
    For all the many, many things wrong with that work, that is one of the most irritating, to me, for multiple reasons.

Cultured.
    They do ogle Darkness in the beach episode, who's about Takara's biological age; and seeing as she's back to being "Takara Aozaki of the TYPE-MOON universe," she is technically an eroge heroine . . .

This is not enough context for me to be sure that this is Aqua plus some unspecified others they're encountering, though I'm leaning towards thinking that on a second read. If that is the case, I could use a tiny bit more context about whose voice they heard.
    Kazuma seems quite likely to be there, given his perspective last snippet, but it could be literally anyone. Obviously you're intending to conceal some things for cliffhanger purposes, but the identify of the speaker doesn't seem like one of them.
    Honestly, it kind of is, because I'm still trying to decide who would be funniest - or best for advancing the "plot." Chris is an idea that springs to mind, for example, even if I can't quite justify it to myself in-universe (as Chris is very much a mortal) . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Okay, first of all, I understood it was a sequel to the preceding seven parts of the crossover so far. My main problem was understanding where it needed to go from that point onward... now that I've had time to read and think this through.

Blog Entries
    My apologies for any offense - at the same time, though, I can only go by what I'm told. If you have questions or trouble understanding, say so, please - I want to help.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Kieran, there's nothing to forgive, no worries. I'm probably not used to this sort of story at all right now. I'll need to reread the whole thing for clarity's sake... considering it'd been so long since I last read the whole thing.

Anyway, what're the odds of you and RB finishing the story you're working on together?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Anyway, what're the odds of you and RB finishing the story you're working on together?
    I had put off responding to this in hopes that we could answer by way of posting a chapter - but it appears writer's block is contagious.

. . . Scheduling on my end is a bit strained at the moment, and RB is a bit stuck; I still think the odds are good, it's just already taken longer than I expected or wanted it to.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Makes sense to me... thanks for clarifying that.

Blog Entries
    DISCLAIMER: Castle and all related characters and concepts are the creation of Andrew Marlowe, and owned by ABC/Disney, in addition to my usual Harry Potter disclaimer. This is a just-for-fun, not-for-profit project.

Langley, Virginia
    May 3, 2002
    (Four years after the Battle of Hogwarts/seven years before Season 1)

Richard Castle, as he had every day of the last year, pinched himself—and as with every previous time, he remained awake.
    Honestly, he still couldn’t quite believe it; the best-selling novelist was, in a very real sense, living his childhood dream of being James Bond.

(. . . OK, maybe “Jason Bourne” would be more accurate, given that he was inside the bowels of the CIA rather than MI-6—but with all due respect to Robert Ludlum, it was Casino Royale that had made him want to be a writer, so Castle would hold to that.)

Still, the ability to look into the secrets, and how the agency operated, gave him a real sense of how spies actually operated; it would be invaluable for his new novel (hopefully, series of novels)—if only he could think of a name . . .

A manila file folder suddenly slapped on top of his desk, covering the one he’d been staring at and jolting him out of his thoughts. Following its trajectory brought him eye-to-eye with Sophia Turner, his sexy CIA minder—and muse, he’d admit in the privacy of his own thoughts. Where the tension between them would lead, he didn’t know yet; but he was certainly willing to find out.

“What’s this?” the writer asked instead.

“Something different from what you’ve seen so far,” she said, a knowing smile on her face, “but I think it’s something you’ll enjoy—a mystery we’ve yet to solve.”

A mystery that the agency of mystery couldn’t solve? How could he resist?

Castle opened the folder to find a series of photographs covering the usual typewritten pages. Two Asians and a Caucasian were the most prominent, but several other Caucasians—male and female, blonde, brunette, and redhead—were visible in other photos.

“September eleventh of last year,” Sophia recited, as if from memory. “Four airliners are hijacked with the intent to use them in a terror attack on the United States. Miraculously, all four were brought down before hitting their intended targets . . . And one of them was on three of the four planes.”

“So were hundreds of other people,” Castle pointed out.

“Yes,” the agent acknowledged, “but on the three flights they were on, there were no casualties, the terrorists were captured alive—and sang like canaries afterwards. The hijackers were hardcore, fanatical zealots, Rick . . . And they couldn’t spill every detail they knew to us fast enough. We checked them for drugs, signs of torture, even thought we were being fed misinformation, but it all checked out—and that just doesn’t happen.”

“. . . I can see how that would raise a few eyebrows,” Castle allowed, his own lifting in intrigue.

“Naturally, we went over all those flights and passengers with a fine-toothed comb,” Sophia continued. “They checked out as normal tourists, mostly; British by citizenship and passport, though only some of them were born there. The others are a mix: German, Japanese, Canadian—and checking further into their backgrounds brought up a string of odd coincidences.”

“Like?” the writer prompted.

“Like the fact that several of them had been in Tokyo roughly ten days before—when what our archivists say could well have been the fifth-deadliest fire in post-war Japanese history, erupted.”

“‘Could have been’ implying that it very much wasn’t?” Castle asked.

“Exactly,” Sophia said coolly. “Once again, miraculously, the victims of the fire managed to avoid any fatalities—and the pattern hasn’t stopped there. The anthrax attacks that reported in the week after September 11th were averted by a tip from our British counterparts, a chemical plant explosion in Toulouse, France is much smaller than our analysts would’ve expected for reasons unknown, the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 last November is, again, miraculously void of fatalities, the Mesa Redondo fire in Lima last December is similarly much more quickly contained than conventionally expected . . . And at every one of those scenes, one of those people is either found to be on-site, nearby, or incoming as part of the aftermath.”

“What are you saying, Sophia?” Castle asked, intrigued despite himself. “You think these people are—what? Some kind of anti-terrorist group, in the traditional meaning of the prefix?”

“We can prove that they’re ordinary citizens,” Sophia stressed. “Every background check we run, every dig we take into the Brits’ files, they all say they’re as ordinary as can be. They’re teachers, nurses—one of them is a tabloid photojournalist, which is about as ‘red flag’ a profession as they have among them. The big guy there”—she pointed at a truly massive man, even with the scale limitations of a photograph—"gardens, if you can believe it.”

Seriously?” Castle blurted, his eyes going wide. He’d have believed “bouncer” without question; also “professional wrestler,” “world champion weightlifter,” or “mob hitman”—but a gardener?!

“He grows a number of supplies for perfumeries, apparently,” Sophia elaborated, “and several medicinal plants. He typically shows up on our radar after a disaster, repairing landscape damages, and such.”

“Which is why he’s in the second pile,” the writer surmised. “He’s a part of it, but less active or less important, whereas these”—he tapped the top row—“are the primary instigators.”

“Very good, Rick—you are learning,” Sophia said approvingly. “Yes, these are the ones we’d most like to get a handle on, but every time we think we’ve got them cornered, they slip the net; they’re so good at disappearing, they seem to do it literally, at times.”

Castle thought about that. “You said that the anthrax attack was stopped by a tip from the British government—”

“They operate mostly on British passports,” Sophia stressed, “but they’re not agents, according to our counterparts—and nothing we’ve dug out of their files can prove otherwise.”

“You have spies in MI-6?” Castle said. “Or is it MI-5?”

“Every government wants to know what other governments know, Rick,” Sophia said coolly. “It’s just a fact of life. But as I said, we can’t prove that they’re British; they’ve done ops that have helped us out, too, and others, even when it might’ve benefited Britain more for them to do nothing. Our best guess”—and she grimaced at the word— “is that they’re a private military contractor, and the Brits have first call on their services . . . But again, these people are ghosts, as far as anything we can dig up.”

“And they’ve managed to evade you any time you have laid eyes on them,” Castle said, noting but not commenting on her changing the subject away from infiltrating Britain’s intelligence services.

“With frustrating effectiveness,” Sophia grumbled. “Honestly, half the reason we want them is to find out how they do it—the other half is to figure out how not to have it done to us . . .But we don’t even know how or if the British do contract them—they’ve become ridiculously hard to get information clandestinely out of in the last couple of years.”

“That wouldn’t be around the time these people showed up, would it?” Castle inquired.

Sophia stopped, visibly considered the question, then said slowly, “No—but it wasn’t long before that, I don’t think.” She shook her head. “I don’t think that’s a connection anyone’s made, but the timing . . .

“Is convenient—for them, at least,” Castle observed. “For the British, too, if their information security is that much harder to crack.”

“It’s an angle worth pursuing,” Sophia agreed. “Although I’ve no idea how—our current policy is just to keep an eye out, and observe them, if they show up.”

“Just observe?” the writer said. “No black ops team with bags to put over their heads, stuff like that?”

The agent shook her head. “We’ve tried things like that—even setting traps—and they’ve yet to work. Like I said, they disappear . . . And there are certain elements that insist we leave them alone.

“That,” Castle said slowly, “does not sound like the CIA I’ve heard about—no offense, Sophia.”

“It’s not,” she said in clipped tones, “but the numbers have been run on how bad that hijacking could have been; the minimum would’ve been thousands of people dead, and at least twice that in wounded. The same numbers were run for the anthrax attack, the crashes, the fires . . .

“We don’t know anything about them, Rick, but this: they save lives. If there’s an accident, or a natural disaster, and they’re anywhere nearby, the deaths will be minimal; handfuls instead of hundreds, or thousands—and in smaller incidents, if no one is killed instantly, it’s likely that there won’t be any. And that kind of thing, while it doesn’t mean much to institutions, carries weight with people. The American government, officially, would very much like to get their hands on this group, Rick—assuming that’s even what they are—but unofficially, we have been told to stay the hell out of their way.”

Sophia scoffed, summarising it with no small amount of sarcasm. “They’re a charity group that American taxpayers don’t need to pay for—and why would we jeopardise that?”

“That’s cynical,” Castle observed.

“But true, in a very real way, Rick,” she retorted. “In any case, they’ve earned enough goodwill in the eyes of the politicians that all we can do is watch; and anyone who doesn’t want to be humiliated by them—and catch hell for disobeying orders— by trying and failing to do more than that, sticks to that policy.”

“Sounds like a heck of a good story,” the writer admitted. “Does this group have a name?”

“Not that we’ve discovered,” the agent admitted bitterly. “For our files, though, they’re called ‘Stormwatch’—because if they’re around, they’re either headed for the one that’s already in the area, or there’s about to be one—and the more of them there are, the worse it’s going to get.

“Stormwatch” did sound kind of cool, Castle admitted to himself. In fact, it gave him an idea for the name of the protagonist in this book (series, hopefully, he reminded himself) . . .

New York City, New York
    August 1, 2005
    (One month before epilogue/four years before Season 1)

“An imposing place, I must admit, Miss Aozaki,” Headmistress McGonagall murmured as she took in the building, before pausing. “My apologies—Missus Salvatore. Old habits, I’m afraid.”

“I use both professionally, depending on where I am,” Takara demurred. “Don’t let it trouble you.”

“Very kind of you,” McGonagall replied, nodding in acknowledgement before returning her attention to their surroundings. “They are rather fond of towers here, aren’t they?”

“A common saying is ‘go big or go home,’” Takara said dryly. “Though the sentiment is hardly limited to Americans.”

“Yes,” the elder witch said, matching her tone before exceeding it as she added, “I can think of seven students in particular for whom such a motto would be a guiding creed.”

“Like the rest of Gryffindor wouldn’t,” she fired back.

A mild chuckle emerged from the Headmistress. “I am forced to concede the point—and in fairness, I did not say it hadn’t worked well for them . . . I hope that this endeavour proves even half as fruitful. I had to do a great deal of Thestral-trading with Ilvermorny to even allow the attempt—as you well know.”

“That’s why I wanted you to meet the girl for yourself,” Takara acknowledged. “To judge whether or not this was a worthwhile effort.”

Takara,” she said sharply, and the Japanese witch couldn’t help but stiffen a little in reflex; a combination of school habits and that sort of tone being otherwise exclusive to her mother and aunts (or Hermione, admittedly, when she was feeling waspish).

“If I hadn’t thought the effort worthwhile,” the Headmistress said chidingly, “I’d hardly have made it in the first place. You have more than earned my trust, by now, and I would hope that you know that. Moreover, your group has proven to have a remarkable eye for talent; Miss Granger was an obvious prodigy, but Mister Longbottom or Miss Weasley, less so. And I shudder to think what might’ve become of, say, Rubeus Hagrid—or your husband, for that matter—without the influences of you and your friends.”

“. . . Thank you, Headmistress.”

There wasn’t enough room between them in the hallway to allow her to bow properly, but Takara made her best effort, nonetheless.

The elder witch shook her head. “It’s little enough, I think, compared to what we owe you.”

“We live in Britain too, Headmistress,” Takara pointed out.

“And you, at least, were fully capable of living outside it, as were a number of your friends,” McGonagall retorted. “I am not Albus Dumbledore, but I am not incapable of puzzling things out when I have enough of the pieces and sufficient time. All you had to do was leave—and by all good sense, you, or your parents, at least, should have. You were children, and it should not have been your fight. You made it yours, instead.

“And having lived through the first of it,” she said darkly, “by comparison you worked miracles . . . As I have said to others of your cohort, Missus Salvatore, over the years: I am not allowed to have partialities, as Headmistress—but I will never cease to be proud of the fact that you, and your friends, are Gryffindors.

“Mine” could be heard in the way she stressed that last word.

“And if this young lady is, as I said, even half so capable as that,” McGonagall continued, “then she will be a credit to any House; and thus, more than worth the effort. But even above that,” she added, “I truly believe that Hogwarts is the finest institution of its kind in the world—and the sort of education that every child deserves.

Takara’s sense of embarrassment abated, somewhat, even as she stood in awe of her former Headmistress; because in that moment, the Japanese witch honestly believed that the final statement was all the reason McGonagall needed to justify all of this, at least to herself. Hogwarts was the source of the best education of witchcraft and wizardry possible, and every child should have that option—and Takara had no doubt that if Hogwarts wasn’t the best school, McGonagall would be working to change that—and lobbying to allow children to go to that hypothetical “best school” until it had.

This was a teacher—and the Japanese witch suddenly felt much better about their chances of convincing their prospective student and her family . . .

Finding they’d arrived, Takara knocked, and found the door opened by a ruggedly handsome man who very much resembled the photo on his book jackets.

“Good afternoon, Mister Castle,” she said, with her warmest saleswoman’s smile. “I am Takara Aozaki, and this is Headmistress Minerva McGonagall. We had an appointment, I believe, to discuss a unique schooling opportunity for your daughter, Alexis . . .?”

The best-selling novelist’s expression was befuddled, as she’d expected; what was not expected was what Takara could read beneath the surface—a half-formed sense of recognition . . .?

New York City, New York
    October 26, 2010
    (“Vampire Weekend,” Season 2, Episode 6)

Detective Kate Beckett of the Twelfth Precinct’s Homicide Division stared in disbelief at the corpse of her newest case. As if being found in a cemetery the week of Halloween wasn’t melodramatic enough . . .

“Are you kidding me? Is that a stake in his heart?”

“Looks like Buffy’s visiting the Big Apple,” Castle quipped, which the detective pointedly ignored.

“Someone thought he was a vampire,” the detective said pointedly, ignoring the writer. It was like feeding a wild animal—if she gave him attention, he’d come looking for more.

“So did he,” Lanie admitted, the medical examiner peeling back the corpse’s lips to reveal pointed ivory fangs as she continued, “And they’re not plastic pop-ins, either.”

“Are you telling me those are real?” Beckett protested.

“Or high-end veneers,” Lanie countered.

Or he’s a vampire,” Castle put in his two cents.

Beckett shot him a look—it only worked half the time, but this was one of the few, as Castle didn’t elaborate. Instead, they heard Ryan and Esposito’s reports on the elements to ID the victim, and Lanie’s conclusion that the victim had struggled before he died.

“Who would go to the trouble of killing someone that way?” Beckett asked, almost rhetorically. There were, after all, so much simpler ways to murder than pounding a stake through someone’s heart.

“Lycans,” Castle offered immediately, apparently over his initial cowing. “They’ve been at war with the vampires ever since Lucian was murdered in the fifteen cen – tur . . .”

He trailed off as Beckett’s look—combined with those of the rest of the group—hit him.

“Again,” he offered, almost meekly, “this is just theory . . .”

Almost, the writer added mentally, as they prepared to head back to the precinct.

After all, unlike any of them, he had reason to know that vampires were real—along with a whole host of awesome, wonderful, and terrifying things. And while he couldn’t talk or even write about it without potentially endangering Alexis (a well-played threat, he had to admit, however much it galled him), he did what he could to keep an eye out for trouble.

And a vampire victim—if he was a genuine vampire—certainly fit the description. . . . But at the same time, he couldn’t precisely contact the proper authorities about it. Aside from the very carefully explained issues regarding letting him in on the secret (and likely responses should his awareness become known), he had no real way to reach the American magical government.

But he was nothing if not resourceful—and at present, in a cab far from Beckett’s official disapproval about sharing information.

“Hi, honey . . .? No, no, Alexis, nothing’s wrong—well, not officially, anyway. Do you remember that term paper of yours last year? About that one medical condition, like Professor Salvatore’s housemate . . .? Yeah—it looks like we might have a sufferer here. Remind me what the details are, again . . .?”

There were times he worried about his daughter getting involved with the magical world and trying to keep up good grades in the ordinary one—because she wouldn’t be Alexis if she didn’t try—but he slept a lot better at night knowing his baby girl was learning combat from a wizarding special ops group.

Just the fact that she could teleport her way out of trouble took so many kidnapping fears off the table . . .

Writer's Notes: . . . Which would make the two-parter of Season 5 much shorter. In honesty, a lot could be solved there, so my muse threw up her hands and gave up.

Apologies for the quiet (and the fact that I missed posting this on Takara's birthday, darn it) - I've been binge (re)-watching Castle with my folks the last few weeks. That, and the fact that Alexis wears a Slytherin jersey a few times in the early seasons gave this its impetus; sadly, it doesn't look like it could go anywhere. Onto the next project . . .
    Last edited by Kieran; August 8th, 2021 at 10:40 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd been really worried when i didnt see any recent activity from you.
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hatori View Post
    I'd been really worried when i didnt see any recent activity from you.
    Sorry about that - in addition to the binge-watch cutting back on my free time, there've been a lot of recent changes at both home and work that have just been brutalising my schedule. I just haven't had time (and/or the energy) to write.

I didn't mean to worry you, though.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Ack, I missed this by almost a week as well. Sorry, haven't been checking with nearly as much frequency.

This is an enjoyable snippet. I haven't actually seen Castle, so I don't entirely have context for the events, but there's enough explained about the premise that it's quite easy to follow. Watching the Seven from the perspective of other organizations is so much fun I almost feel guilty about it. I can see what you mean by not having anywhere to go with it, but it's still neat to just see the general shape of what's going on in the world.

when what our archivists say will could’ve been the fifth-deadliest fire
    "archivists say well could've been", or "archivists will say could've been"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Ack, I missed this by almost a week as well. Sorry, haven't been checking with nearly as much frequency.
    It happens - and hey, I'm on time, this week.

This is an enjoyable snippet. I haven't actually seen Castle, so I don't entirely have context for the events, but there's enough explained about the premise that it's quite easy to follow.
    I do recommend the series - it still holds up well. For some context . . .

Watching the Seven from the perspective of other organizations is so much fun I almost feel guilty about it.
    I know, right?

I can see what you mean by not having anywhere to go with it, but it's still neat to just see the general shape of what's going on in the world.
    *Nods* Obviously, I had to do a little stretching to let them operate in America; the same would be true of any other such crossover I did there. But I still like the concept - it's just that it would be too easy. Most of what Castle's protagonists are up against could be taken apart by the Seven; it's not like Trinity, where they're trying to pass as children in a school environment. At worst, the main antagonist would be MACUSA, and trying to do end runs around the Statute of Secrecy while dealing with some of the more egregious issues their friends at the 12th Precinct run across . . .

"archivists say well could've been", or "archivists will say could've been"?
    I hate it when I do that - change my mind on what to say, but don't fix it completely . . . Thank you. *Sighs*

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Castle is really a good crossover to work with though.

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hatori View Post
    Castle is really a good crossover to work with though.
    Yes, it is. The characters are funny, intelligent, and nuanced - plenty of places for development, and thoughtful (or thought-provoking) actions and reactions. The plots are, even discounting the procedural murders, largely well-thought-out. Certain storylines do puzzle me in their application (they make some sense under the lens of "it's a TV drama, let's be dramatic," but seem a bit abrupt in their use), like Beckett's sudden jump to federal investigator (within two episodes), a position that ultimately lasted all of 3 episodes . . . Still, the writing is pretty consistently solid throughout its eight-year run.

And as to the long-term storylines . . .

The problem is that they're not exactly hard to handle when one of the characters is, even discounting meta-knowledge, a teleporting mind-reader who can literally be invisible, and has both spycraft and special forces training . . . And that's just Galen, never mind any of the rest. Taking out the series' metaphorical dragons wouldn't be hard - it would be doing it in such a way that the Wizarding World couldn't call them on it, and that would stand up in mundane court.

It's still not a bad story idea, but I don't see it being a long one, you know . . .?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Yes, it is. The characters are funny, intelligent, and nuanced - plenty of places for development, and thoughtful (or thought-provoking) actions and reactions. The plots are, even discounting the procedural murders, largely well-thought-out. Certain storylines do puzzle me in their application (they make some sense under the lens of "it's a TV drama, let's be dramatic," but seem a bit abrupt in their use), like Beckett's sudden jump to federal investigator (within two episodes), a position that ultimately lasted all of 3 episodes . . . Still, the writing is pretty consistently solid throughout its eight-year run.

And as to the long-term storylines . . .

The problem is that they're not exactly hard to handle when one of the characters is, even discounting meta-knowledge, a teleporting mind-reader who can literally be invisible, and has both spycraft and special forces training . . . And that's just Galen, never mind any of the rest. Taking out the series' metaphorical dragons wouldn't be hard - it would be doing it in such a way that the Wizarding World couldn't call them on it, and that would stand up in mundane court.

It's still not a bad story idea, but I don't see it being a long one, you know . . .?
    Then other possible crossovers would mesh with Castle's universe would make sense, eg. Numb3rs, White Collar, Scorpion, Bones....
    Of course, those are just the usual procedurals....

Perhaps going back towards the Animated universe, with TMNT/ JLA...
    Or anime wise..: El-Melloi Case files? or maybe Full Metal Panic...

But still, given their abilities, it seems we're moving into Action Hero movie / Games territory than actual RL situations....

RE *Games : done.
    Evangelion: no, hell no.
    SAO: done.
    Macross?: Love triangle, but no magic, unless fold receptors and such constitute as magic. Superhuman abilities though( as seen in Delta)
    Nanohaverse: but magic is non-lethal there.
    I guess Grand order is still probably the better setting.
    Last edited by hatori; August 10th, 2021 at 10:24 PM.

When I go random.