Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51919699100101
Results 2,001 to 2,015 of 2015

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

  1. #2001
    Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    According to most, my own little world
    Age
    43
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,533
    Blog Entries
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Kieran, the answer you will get from me is that Galen is an author after a fellow author's heart, and that's why the platonic love.
    All right - I ask partly out of curiosity, and partly because if I'm doing something right, I like to know what, so I can keep doing it . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

    — Carmilla Theme




    "Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

    ―Jim Butcher, Vignette




  2. #2002
    Kamen Rider fan-writer Xamusel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    At a computer
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,378
    Blog Entries
    30
    Just have Galen be an author again, please. I think we all deserve to know what the success of his books will be like, all things considered.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

    For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.




    Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

    An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.




    Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

  3. #2003
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Age
    30
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Honestly, I'm not completely happy with Neville's dialogue, at points - he sounds a bit too much like Galen, to my ears - but I'm justifying it to myself as his choosing to ape McGonagall's style when he needs to be a disciplinarian.
    Yeah, I can see it. His aside about the Bloody Baron stands out as having that sort of long-suffering wryness about women I associate more with Galen, in particular. I generally agree most of the rest seems like him playing the role of disciplinarian.

    It's why Alex says there's no point to running - if Neville wants to catch them, he will.
    Exactly, it's great. Even when confident, Neville's self-talk is never quite that over-the-top, even when he's trying to motivate himself.

    Alex might use "Aniki" (the actual translation of "brother-in-law" is "giri no ani," apparently), but he chose a diminutive of the more common phrase because most people in the castle have heard him use its equivalent for Takara, and he wanted to be sure Neville could make the connection . . . Because he wasn't actually expecting Neville to be as fluent in the language as he is.
    Ah, nice detail. Agreed the connotation seems more appropriate.

    Nope, it's Shirou - legally, and everything!
    With only two clarifications required. I suppose it's not really relevant to cousin-hood that Shirou was adopted.
    Oh, I absolutely agree with you - and the fact that The Secrets of Dumbledore lets it access "the mirror dimension" as well is just absolutely flat-out ludicrous . . .
    Auuugh.
    Still, since this isn't Dumbledore's original device (since he had no reason to leave it to anyone)
    Huh, now I'm wondering about what happened to some of Dumbledore's other artifacts. Yes, he didn't have a reason to explicitly leave it to anyone... so it's probably rotting in Aberforth's possession or something? I don't exactly remember. He seemed less-prepared than canon, so perhaps.
    Now I'm kind of wondering if a magical portrait can fill in for a will, if you haven't made other preparations. Deathstone would be just be cheating though.

    Like the franchise's extended canon - since the movies weren't actually all out when he died, back when I was originally writing, but were obviously relevant as the series went on and which he and others demonstrated full knowledge of - though I could blame Takara for that, I suppose . . .

    (No, wait - I make deliberate references to The Dress, so it's technically a plot hole . . . Oh, well).
    I don't think that Galen's date of death is solidly established enough for that to be a plot hole; I might infer that it was at the same year as he ends up in Fuyuki (though dimensional bullshit means that may not be the case, could be earlier or later; I don't actually know when you started writing, due to the Great Forum Purge, but I'd assume that would line up)
    I can't actually find many references to the year in the prologues; it's apparently after 2008 in Truth and Consequences. Takara canonically has seen all the movies, sopost-2011, but you were writing before that. The Dress is 2005, so there's lots of margin.

    When reading, I tend to treat it as "recent enough", but the 10+ year gap at this point for extended canon does merit some explanation.

  4. #2004
    Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    According to most, my own little world
    Age
    43
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,533
    Blog Entries
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Just have Galen be an author again, please. I think we all deserve to know what the success of his books will be like, all things considered.
    Ah - OK, that makes sense. Thank you.

    And I'll say this because I'm not sure it'll come up, otherwise: while he does enjoy it, Galen's being an author is actually part of Gwydion's cover. Why? Because it's amazing what people will let you get away with, or get access to, on the basis of "doing research" . . .



    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Yeah, I can see it. His aside about the Bloody Baron stands out as having that sort of long-suffering wryness about women I associate more with Galen, in particular.
    That has more to do with the fact that Neville is very (justifiably) afraid of Takara showing up at Hogwarts with Mellinoe in her hands and murder in her eyes, in the event her baby brother is hurt . . . He'd much rather she take it out on the Baron than him.


    I generally agree most of the rest seems like him playing the role of disciplinarian.
    I'm glad it works that well, at least.


    Exactly, it's great. Even when confident, Neville's self-talk is never quite that over-the-top, even when he's trying to motivate himself.
    He's a fairly modest, down-to-earth guy; even bonded to a grizzly bear's spirit, he's fairly easygoing (because they really don't have many things that can threaten them) - but those same elements can make him very naturally terrifying to normal people. Plus, he's used to using the trinity as his "awesomeness/over-the-top" scale, so he just thinks of himself as "competent" in any area short of Herbology or raw strength. And there is the fact that he's had to learn to moderate his strength (and downplay his size) in order not to frighten people, as well . . . Or just to get along in a world built for and populated by smaller people, for that matter. Ginny's over a foot shorter than he is, for example, and about half his mass - it's required careful adjustments, over the years.


    Ah, nice detail. Agreed the connotation seems more appropriate.
    *Nods* I'm still trying to decide exactly what Alex thinks of Galen, mind you. I suspect he admires and is jealous of him, by turns - after all, Galen is in a relationship with Alex's two favourite witches - but how that manifests in their day-to-day interactions, I'm not sure . . .


    With only two clarifications required. I suppose it's not really relevant to cousin-hood that Shirou was adopted.
    Technically, Alex is (part of) the adopted part of the family.


    Auuugh.
    Yeah - I like Mads Mikkelsen, but did they really need to rip off reference Doctor Strange that badly, just because he joined the franchise . . .?

    Although, the film did prove useful to me in another, major way, so I suppose I can't complain too much.


    Huh, now I'm wondering about what happened to some of Dumbledore's other artifacts. Yes, he didn't have a reason to explicitly leave it to anyone... so it's probably rotting in Aberforth's possession or something? I don't exactly remember. He seemed less-prepared than canon, so perhaps.
    It's an interesting question, since Scrimgeour refers to the Deluminator as "an important magical artefact." Presumably it winds up in Aberforth's possession, but that line implies that it might be considered a museum-worthy piece, or deserving of "national treasure" status, for some reason - so perhaps the Ministry retains possession of it . . .? Or Hogwarts - but it's still an open question as to why. It's not as obviously important as something like the Sword of Gryffindor, or the Goblet of Fire, so why Scrimgeour would place attention on it like that is a mystery . . . Of course, he might simply have been trying to find a lever to get Harry to work with him, given the context in canon, so perhaps it's of no importance at all.

    For the purposes of my canon, however, Shirou was interested in enchanting, and Hermione likes intellectual challenges with complicated magic, so it seemed like a fun little project to try and (re)create it - and the fact that it was something they could sell netted them a bit of income, as well. Sure, Shirou's family is wealthy enough not to really need it, but Hermione could use both the funds and the cachet of having unravelled enchantments created by Albus Dumbledore himself.


    Now I'm kind of wondering if a magical portrait can fill in for a will, if you haven't made other preparations.
    That sounds like a question of Ministry bureaucracy . . . Hm - is there a reason to involve Percy Weasley here . . .? It'd be either his or Hermione's bailiwick, I suppose.


    Deathstone would be just be cheating though.
    Oh, certainly - and how would you explain how you obtained the knowledge?


    I don't think that Galen's date of death is solidly established enough for that to be a plot hole; I might infer that it was at the same year as he ends up in Fuyuki (though dimensional bullshit means that may not be the case, could be earlier or later; I don't actually know when you started writing, due to the Great Forum Purge, but I'd assume that would line up)
    Legacies of Fate was circa 2005, when I joined the original forum - but I'll admit that I no longer remember when Trinity proper was begun (and my original files were on floppy disks, so I can't reliably check for a "created on" date).


    I can't actually find many references to the year in the prologues; it's apparently after 2008 in Truth and Consequences. Takara canonically has seen all the movies, sopost-2011, but you were writing before that. The Dress is 2005, so there's lots of margin.
    Takara's TYPE-MOON birth year was set as 2001, since I was under the impression Tsukihime took place in 2000; as such, the Sixth Holy Grail War is set in 2018, a few weeks prior to her seventeenth birthday. As such, she has a reason to have seen them all. I was 26 when I started writing, and wrote Galen accordingly at the time - but there was a certain level of ambiguity, even then, I suppose.


    When reading, I tend to treat it as "recent enough", but the 10+ year gap at this point for extended canon does merit some explanation.
    Yeah, it does. Fortunately, the Kaleidostick is a previously-introduced element in Trinity's canon, so I have some leeway there.
    Last edited by Kieran; February 28th, 2023 at 11:22 PM.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

    — Carmilla Theme




    "Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

    ―Jim Butcher, Vignette




  5. #2005
    Kamen Rider fan-writer Xamusel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    At a computer
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,378
    Blog Entries
    30
    True, the act of being an author is good for having a cover story, I get that. I just hope you get to explore it more with your characters.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

    For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.




    Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

    An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.




    Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

  6. #2006
    Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    According to most, my own little world
    Age
    43
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,533
    Blog Entries
    194
    We shall see . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

    — Carmilla Theme




    "Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

    ―Jim Butcher, Vignette




  7. #2007
    Kamen Rider fan-writer Xamusel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    At a computer
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,378
    Blog Entries
    30
    Oh, Kieran, could you please go back to the Grail Works story you have going on still? It's been months since the last chapter.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

    For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.




    Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

    An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.




    Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

  8. #2008
    Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    According to most, my own little world
    Age
    43
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,533
    Blog Entries
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Oh, Kieran, could you please go back to the Grail Works story you have going on still? It's been months since the last chapter.
    So, after a month of trying to focus on that, I'm at roughly 3 pages done out of my usual 10 per chapter - which is about half a page more than I had prior to that. I think I'm better off writing whatever comes to mind until my muse feels like cooperating, because at least then, something will be written . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

    — Carmilla Theme




    "Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

    ―Jim Butcher, Vignette




  9. #2009
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Age
    30
    Posts
    486
    I sort of figured after the second week. Can't necessarily force that sort of thing.

    Not sure if planning future scenes would help spark your interest, though you've probably come at it from a few different directions. Hopefully it'll percolate given time; I've definitely experienced being stuck in a rut with an idea until it gets enough time in the back of my mind.

  10. #2010
    Kamen Rider fan-writer Xamusel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    At a computer
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,378
    Blog Entries
    30
    Sorry about that, Kieran. I'm honestly that annoyed that I was bugging you to do more than you could.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

    For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.




    Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

    An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.




    Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

  11. #2011
    Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    According to most, my own little world
    Age
    43
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,533
    Blog Entries
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    I sort of figured after the second week. Can't necessarily force that sort of thing.
    No, unfortunately - but I thought I'd try . . .


    Not sure if planning future scenes would help spark your interest, though you've probably come at it from a few different directions.
    I've done one - kind of - but I had it ready before this, so does it really count . . .?


    Hopefully it'll percolate given time; I've definitely experienced being stuck in a rut with an idea until it gets enough time in the back of my mind.
    Yeah, and this is hardly the first time, either. But to use the oft-quoted phrase, "I hate it when that happens . . ."



    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Sorry about that, Kieran. I'm honestly that annoyed that I was bugging you to do more than you could.
    *Shakes head* No, it's a good thing - I occasionally need a kick in the proverbial posterior, either as a reminder (because I have a memory like a sieve, these days), or to keep me from slipping into a routine. Once I put something off once, it becomes easier to do so again, and to keep putting it off until it withers away. That's not something I want to have happen, so the periodic slap upside the head is handy. Thank you.

    . . . That said, though, I think I'm likely to write snippets (and probably Trinity-themed ones) for a bit longer, because it's what the imagination seems to want to write - but it will keep me writing to a schedule, which is important. Sorry.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

    — Carmilla Theme




    "Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

    ―Jim Butcher, Vignette




  12. #2012
    Kamen Rider fan-writer Xamusel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    At a computer
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,378
    Blog Entries
    30
    You're welcome, Kieran, loathe as I am to say it like that... I don't want to pester you to do anything you're not ready for.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

    For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.




    Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

    An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.




    Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

  13. #2013
    Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    According to most, my own little world
    Age
    43
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,533
    Blog Entries
    194
    Continuing from an earlier (or later, depending on your point of view) sequence . . .








    12 Grimmauld Place
    London, England
    December 30, 2006









    To Takara’s complete unsurprise, upon looking for Galen, she found him sitting in the reading nook with a cat in his lap. The identity of the cat, however, was a surprise.

    “OK, I’ll bite—what did you bribe Crookshanks with that would get him away from Hermione?” the eldest Aozaki daughter asked.

    He’d basically refused to let Hermione out of his sight since she’d become human again, as if afraid she’d revert to vampirism at any moment . . . It was a fear that, if Takara was honest, she couldn’t quite dismiss. Nor could any of them, really—it was still so new, so miraculous, that none of them really had their heads wrapped around it yet, even almost a week later.

    But that would change, eventually—so this conversation needed to be had before that happened . . .

    “Hermione’s in the bath,” Galen answered her question, even as a lazy drawl entered his voice to match the equally lazy smile stretching across his face. “With all the bubbles.”

    “Ah,” Takara acknowledged in understanding. While the cats could enjoy bubble wands, bubble bath was a sticky, horrible-tasting menace—and much too similar to the shampoo used on their fur for their peace of mind.

    “So,” her husband continued, “being the clever cat that he is, Hermione’s best boy decided that it was time to collect his rightful tribute.”

    Crookshanks huffed, as though annoyed—but he leaned in when Galen scratched behind an ear.

    Like witch, like familiar, Takara thought with amusement. Though by that logic, anyone who knew us at school might assume that Crookshanks was mine, and Mirai was Hermione’s . . .

    But that did give her an opening—and so Takara said, quietly but clearly, “Or perhaps he’s spotted what Hermione hasn’t . . . Not yet, at least.”

    While she’d refined what Legilimency talent and techniques she had, Takara knew, objectively, that they were half-remembered, at best—or at worst, recreated from what damaged or all-but-destroyed records that Aoko had managed to salvage. Her success in the field largely relied on the fact that she was basically the third-most powerful witch on Earth, and those techniques were specifically designed to break things, be they Occlumency protections or people. By contrast, her husband had spent the last decade building himself into a comparative master of the Mind Arts, on top of the fact that he was likely the most powerful wizard on Earth, and second only to Ilya in terms of raw magical power . . . All of which was a very convoluted way of saying that if Galen really didn’t want her to know something, he could hide it from her.

    As such, Takara took it as a point of pride that when he sighed, his body language was resigned more than defensive; he had no intention of hiding this from her, or even deflecting, and it pleased her to see how far he’d come from their school days.

    We’ve done well.

    “I can practically see the storm clouds gathering around you,” she continued carefully, “but I’m not sure why. What could you possibly be angry about, with Hermione finally cured?

    “It’s frustrating,” he grumbled, scowling as he did so. “After ten years of hunting every historical or mythological fragment I could find, twisting everything I knew about vampirism upside-down and inside out, looking for anything that might give me a lever to undo what had been done to her . . . All of it, not just useless, but ultimately wasted.” He laughed bitterly. “I ought to have known she’d find the cure herself—if anybody was capable of it, it was Hermione.

    Takara carefully did not remind him that as with his lycanthropy, Hermione had unexpectedly stumbled upon the cure, rather than seeking it out—she was sure that there was more to his mood than that and didn’t want to derail the conversation. Instead, she picked a response that would encourage him to continue.

    “It is a bit aggravating,” she said, admitting to her own frustration with the matter. A decade of alchemical studies and failed attempts wore on her, after all—and to have them rendered ultimately pointless . . .

    “But at least,” she noted, “I can turn what I’ve learned and done into other projects—and to be fair, you’ve accomplished some important things in the course of your studies, too.”

    “Which helps ameliorate the failures of them,” Galen countered, “You know that as well as I do, I’m sure . . . But it doesn’t deal with the underlying anger, Takara.”

    Crookshanks proved why he was Hermione’s cat: he was clever enough to jump off and dart out of the way before Galen got up and started pacing.

    “I couldn’t protect her—couldn’t stop from being turned,” he growled. “I couldn’t avenge her, anyone responsible died too quickly—so I channelled all my frustrations, all my rage, into saving her . . . And I couldn’t even do that.” He stopped, closed his eyes, and inhaled deeply, before exhaling slowly; one of his standard calming techniques.

    Galen opened his eyes, and looked at her, “And I hate the fact, at least as much as all the rest, that I can be so fucking petty as to feel that way, when she’s finally whole again—”

    This once, Takara would overlook the profanity, given the circumstances—besides, Elise was sleeping, so she couldn’t hear it.

    “I understand,” she interrupted. “It’s not like I don’t feel the same, at least to some degree.”

    Galen scowled. “I know—which is another reason I’m angry at myself. I’m an Occlumens, I should have better control of myself . . .”

    He sighed. “But all those promises to help her regain her humanity, and in the end, I’m bloody useless.

    “Is that what you think?”

    Takara’s mouth hung open—because she hadn’t replied.








    Hermione stared at her husband and wife in disbelief, glancing back and forth between them. Galen got the lion’s share, of course, but from Takara’s expression, she did feel at least a portion of his feelings, as well.

    I told you everything about what happened, the British witch thought furiously. How on earth could you—you, of all people—listen to every word I said, and still completely miss the point . . .?

    After a beat, Hermione remembered that she couldn’t project to him anymore, and she mirrored Galen’s calming technique.

    “. . . I’ve never actually thanked you before, have I?” Hermione said suddenly, glancing between Galen and Takara. “Either of you, really.”

    Galen and Takara blinked in a near-synchronised fashion, traded glances, and then looked back at her.

    “For . . .?” Galen prompted, genuinely puzzled.

    “Well . . .” Hermione bit her lip, suddenly unsure, before beginning in a breathless tone. “I can see all your memories, remember? And while, like all of the characters, Emma was a softened portrayal for the big screen, my literary counterpart wasn’t always a nice person—or even a good one.”

    “No one’s perfect, Hermione,” Galen said kindly. “And it was clear to me that Hermione Granger generally did things with the best of intentions, regardless of the medium—”

    “Even Emma Obliviated her own parents from behind,” Hermione said sharply. “And I might’ve looked like her, but you had no way of knowing I wouldn’t be closer to the books—Heroic Spirits can be twisted to resemble what people expect to see, after all.” The British witch shook her head. “No, you took a risk, befriending me, and you knew it when you did it.”

    “And you know why,” Galen said quietly, with a trace of weariness that was born of self-recrimination.

    Hermione glared at him. “If you were as much of a rabid fanboy as you think, then once the troll and the threats to my life were dealt with, that would’ve been all. You’d have been sufficiently blinded by obsession not to think beyond the idea that because I was Hermione, I was flawless and always right—but you did more than that. I wasn’t able to see it at the time, but with the context of the films, the books, and the perspective that age—that hindsight—brings, I can see it clearly.

    “You spent years helping me to smooth over my worst qualities, and polish up my better ones,” she said quietly, “and teaching me why I should try to.”

    Galen shrugged. “As you said—with the perspective of age and hindsight, I was hoping to at least keep you from making my mistakes, if not your canon ones.”

    Because . . .?” the British witch prompted. “The honest answer, Galen.”

    “. . . I was hoping you’d be happier,” he said finally. “Even outside of the war’s events, there was very little description of smiles and laughter where you were concerned, as things went on—and that seemed unfair.”

    “And for that, you were willing to put up with a bossy little know-it-all with buckteeth and positively frightful hair—”

    “Stop fishing, Hermione,” Galen said dryly. “You have been through my memories, so you know perfectly well that you were adorable.

    Only to you and my parents,” she countered, equally dryly.

    “I beg to differ, chérie,” Takara interjected with a teasing smile. “You didn’t see yourself waltzing around the common room with Crookshanks.”

    A corner of Hermione’s mind noted that she was adapting to blush reactions much faster than some of her newly-restored biological functions—and found that unsurprising, seeing as her spouses seemed determined to elicit one from her in every conversation . . .

    “In any case,” Hermione said firmly, “you made it clear that you accepted me, unconditionally, even if I didn’t understand why.

    “Yes—'it was a fanboy crush,’ I know,” she cut off Galen’s attempt to interrupt. “But that’s how all attraction starts—and you treated me like a person, not an idol. And it wouldn’t explain her.

    “I was six when the last book about your part of the franchise came out,” Takara said. “Ten, for the last movies. And while I might’ve been more interested in the boy hero who reminded me of Father—especially when the actor playing him had blue eyes—I admired a lot about you, Hermione.”

    Hermione blinked, surprised to find that even after so long together, parts of Takara’s past were still unknown to her; she took a bit of comfort from that fact that, going by his expression, that was true for Galen, too . . .

    No! She refused to get sidetracked now—they were going to have this out, once and for all!

    “Regardless of the reasons, you were my first friends,” Hermione said sharply. “You supported me, encouraged me, and even in our lowest times, I still, in my heart of hearts, believed that if I ever really needed you, you’d be there—no matter how angry we were at each other . . .

    “And then I died,” she said bluntly, “and you proved it.”

    She focussed on Galen, eyes narrowed. “You were an utter idiot—risking your life and soul on a theory that even you were half-convinced was a delusion of wishful thinking—and I told you that then . . . But I also know that you never considered not trying; and it wasn’t because you were feeling suicidal—not really. You were just determined not to let me go. I meant that much to you.

    “And you are even more impressive, in a way,” Hermione continued, shifting her attention to Takara. “I became your walking, waking nightmare . . . And you managed to see past it.” Seeing her wife about to raise an objection, she continued fiercely, “That you didn’t do so immediately means nothing in the face of the fact that you were able to do it at all, Takara—and it was just as important, if not more so, in the end.”

    She glanced between them. “Do neither of you see it? The two of you kept me human, kept me hoping—because in spite of every dead end, every failure, you never doubted that we’d find some way to break the curse. You refused to give up, however long it might take, because you loved me . . . Honestly—do you think a revenant vampire could’ve passed the judgement?” Hermione’s voice darkened as she demanded, “Do you think I would’ve been any different from one of them, without you? After a decade of bloodthirst eating at my humanity, assuming I’d retained any when I rose?”

    Hermione shook her head. “I earned the cure because of who I am—but you are the reason that I could. And even though I’m not immortal anymore, I will love you both forever, for everything you’ve done for me.”

    She fixed her eyes on Galen and said quietly “I know you’re angry; you want something to fight, to beat . . . But you did. You beat them the moment you made the choice to feed me willingly, out of love; every time you fought for my rights, for our relationship—when either of you did—you beat them.

    “My father told you years ago: you did save me,” she concluded fiercely. “And he was righter than any of us knew.”

    Takara smiled. “We love you, too, Hermione.”

    “Obviously,” she drawled.

    . . . Thank you, Hermione,” Galen said, a touch hoarsely—and though she wasn’t quite certain about it, he did seem calmer, lighter.

    “As I said, I should be saying that to you,” Hermione countered, before suddenly shivering—the warm glow of pride in her chest, it seemed, was no match for the chill of wearing nothing but a bathrobe in December.

    “But if you really want to thank me,” she added, “either share some of that excess body heat of yours, or Summon me some clothes, would you . . .?”










    Writer's Notes: This scene has been bugging me for a week . . .
    Last edited by Kieran; April 3rd, 2023 at 07:53 AM.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

    — Carmilla Theme




    "Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

    ―Jim Butcher, Vignette




  14. #2014
    死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Age
    30
    Posts
    486
    Takara carefully did not remind him that as with his lycanthropy, Hermione had unexpectedly stumbled upon the cure, rather than seeking it out
    [...]
    Honestly—do you think a revenant vampire could’ve passed the judgement?
    A couple of small hints here, hm. Not obviously alchemical, nor vampire-myth-related, and she was judged, in presumably a moral sense. Looking at my other hints, that continues to point at unicorns or phoenixes, though it does raise my estimation on unicorns somewhat; they're known for being quite picky, but I usually don't think of them as capable of complex moral judgement. At the same time though, it fits in too many other ways to throw out. I initially had some other guesses but forgot to cross-reference first.

    Beyond rampant speculation, this is a very sweet snippet, doing the full cathartic cycle from the first conflict. I especially like the distinction drawn with
    “You spent years helping me to smooth over my worst qualities, and polish up my better ones,” she said quietly, “and teaching me why I should try to.”
    as a dismissal of Galen's fanboy deflection; it's subtle but sufficient, and has some depth to it. It pairs well with some older conversations, though there are more little things than I can really list.

    Also coming back to the anger is an elegant redirection. Well-structured persuasion, lovely language choices and tying it back in a way that should stick.

  15. #2015
    Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    According to most, my own little world
    Age
    43
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,533
    Blog Entries
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    A couple of small hints here, hm. Not obviously alchemical, nor vampire-myth-related, and she was judged, in presumably a moral sense. Looking at my other hints, that continues to point at unicorns or phoenixes, though it does raise my estimation on unicorns somewhat; they're known for being quite picky, but I usually don't think of them as capable of complex moral judgement. At the same time though, it fits in too many other ways to throw out. I initially had some other guesses but forgot to cross-reference first.
    As I said in the initial snippet, you really won't have enough information (probably, at least) to guess unless or until I actually do write it out in full . . . Some decent guesses, though.


    Beyond rampant speculation, this is a very sweet snippet, doing the full cathartic cycle from the first conflict.
    Thank you.


    I especially like the distinction drawn with “You spent years helping me to smooth over my worst qualities, and polish up my better ones,” she said quietly, “and teaching me why I should try to.”

    as a dismissal of Galen's fanboy deflection; it's subtle but sufficient, and has some depth to it. It pairs well with some older conversations, though there are more little things than I can really list.
    The one line I couldn't manage to fit in was that Galen wanted Hermione "to have - to be - the best you possibly could." That, ultimately, was the means he chose to reach his goal - which was that she be happier. And whatever else vampirism did for or to her, it gave her the insight into his thoughts, while allowing her to retain her outside observational perspective, to let her understand that . . . It just took her some time and maturity to fully appreciate it - but that happens as a part of growing up.



    Also coming back to the anger is an elegant redirection. Well-structured persuasion, lovely language choices and tying it back in a way that should stick.
    It was an issue I thought needed addressing, because Galen was murderously furious when she was turned; and he had no one and nothing to take it out on, because Riddle and the Tohnos died before he could get to them. So he channelled it into finding a cure, whatever it took - and when it finally happened, it had nothing to do with him. To say that he'd be beyond frustrated would be one of those criminal understatements; all the more so because he hates wasted effort, and because he's self-aware enough by now to realise he's being petty, and hate that. too . . .

    Hence the reminder - he did need it.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

    — Carmilla Theme




    "Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

    ―Jim Butcher, Vignette




Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •