Page 93 of 103 FirstFirst ... 438388919293949598 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2049

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trinity: The Aftermath

DISCLAIMER: Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of Kinoko Nasu and Type-Moon, along with anyone who's happened to license them, like Geneon or Funimation. Harry Potter and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of J.K. Rowling, along with her publishers and Warner Bros., as regards the movie material.

This is a not-for-profit, just-for-fun project.

Hogwarts
    May 4, 1998

It’s been a very long time, Takara realised, since I was last in this position.

It was, she supposed, a measure of how very strange her life had become. Whereas visits to the Hospital Wing had once been often a monthly occurrence—given Galen’s transformations—and at the very least an annual one, it had actually been well over a year since her last trip here. Mostly because she hadn’t been in the castle, of course, but even so, Galen had only really required medical attention once since his first exposure to the Elixir of Life; it was incontestably a new record for him.

So naturally, when he does need it, it’s nearly as bad as it was then.

Takara grimaced as she took in her boyfriend’s primary injury. It wasn’t as life-threatening as the stress that curing his lycanthropy had put his body through, but it was severe—and even with the healing capabilities of both the Elixir and Madam Pomfrey, he’d been unconscious for just over twenty-four hours. Granted, that didn’t sound like a lot, until you took in just how accelerated his nature as a wizard, as an Animagus, plus the Elixir made his ability to recover; in mundane terms, he’d have been out for about two weeks.

Although, had he been mundane, Takara was sure he’d never have survived at all. Still, her alchemical and medical studies assured Takara that Galen would survive, and even recover. The Elixir’s potency was such that those pieces they couldn’t find to reattach were growing back . . .

Alchemy was, at its base, the study of attaining perfection—and when they said “perfect,” they meant it—

Whether it was a facet of her predatory Animagus nature or a quirk of her Nanaya genetics, Takara was very aware of subtle changes in her environment: for example, the suddenly-rising heart rate and breathing rhythms of her previously-unconscious boyfriend. As such, she wasn’t startled when he spoke—much as he might have anticipated the surprise.

His eyes still closed, Galen grunted, “What’s the butcher’s bill?”

. . . Really?” Takara asked flatly. “That’s what you start with?”

“I’m not restrained, and I have a lot of experience in recognising the sounds and smells of the Hospital Wing—and yours, too—while coming out of unconsciousness,” he replied (still without opening his eyes, annoyingly). “Therefore, we won, which leaves only the question, ‘how many did we lose?’

“What’s the butcher’s bill?” he repeated, and this time, he opened his eyes to stare at her.

“There were a lot of casualties,” Takara admitted, “but only one fatality.” She took a deep breath. “Professor Sprout was at ground zero when Riddle blew the top off the North Tower.”

“. . . Damn,” he muttered feelingly, and she agreed with the sentiment. Neither of them had been particularly close to the Herbology Professor, but Neville had been—and more than that, she’d been a fixture at the school for years. The Hufflepuffs would be devastated, but they’d hardly be the only ones . . .

Takara smirked slightly. “For what it’s worth, you got Riddle back by dropping the rest of it on him.”

Galen blinked. “Is that what happened?” At her disbelieving look, he tried to shrug, and halted mid-motion with a wince. “Honestly, I kind of lost everything in a blinding flash.”

Takara’s face went blank. “Oh, you were blind—and also deaf, with pressure-related fractures and severe electrical burns over your right arm spreading from the point where your hand was blown to pieces. And that’s not even getting into the broken ribs you got from the twelve-story fall off that broomstick . . .!” She shook her head. “I’m honestly starting to think that bit in the story about the cloak ‘hiding its wearer from Death’ is meant more than poetically.

“. . . It’s possible,” Galen admitted.

Takara’s smirk returned, and it was far less pleasant. “And since you scared me half to death, I feel no guilt in letting you know that after all that, your wand was destroyed and Shirou was the one who had to actually kill Riddle.”

She savoured her boyfriend’s agape expression. “. . . He survived that? For God’s sake, how much plot armour did that bastard have?

“Not enough,” she said in icy satisfaction, her voice as cold and quiet as softly falling snow.

“Anyways,” she continued, in a more cheerful tone, “the good news, for you, is that your hand will be fine, and that nothing is actually linking you to the destruction of the North Tower. Thanks to the cloak and the fact that not many people actually know about that spell—not many who are still alive, at least—it’s mostly been written off as something Riddle did, since he was trying pretty hard to tear down the tower himself.”

Visibly recognising both her tone and phrasing, Galen prompted, “And the bad news is . . .?”

“Well, your wand is a write-off,” she noted, before smirking again, more widely than ever before.

“But more importantly, you have to deal with the fact that Mirai-chan will not be happy that you injured your petting hand.

She laughed—demurely, as her mother would have insisted—at the expression of dawning horror on her boyfriend’s face.

Diagon Alley
    May 6, 1998

The silvery tinkling of the bell as the shop’s door opened aside, Ollivander’s shop was a welcome oasis of silence, compared to the outside party that had apparently not stopped in the last two days.

It was dark, dusty, and even more cramped than Galen remembered—but it was also blessedly, blissfully, quiet. His sharp hearing had been a curse in regards to crowds and other sources of high-volume sound for decades; when it was enhanced to outright supernatural levels like this . . . Well, if he hadn’t actually outright needed to do this, he’d have been anywhere else. As it was, there was a good possibility he was going to be nursing a migraine for the next several h—

“Good morning, Mister Salvatore,” came the unexpected greeting, causing Galen to both jump and curse that he hadn’t heard the old wizard coming.

Said wizard, for his part, shuffled into view, looking pleasantly-tanned, in comparison to his normal complexion. It made for a startling contrast with his white hair and shining eyes, which were glimmering with inquisitiveness.

“I admit, I had not expected to see you today,” the wandmaker said in a tone that radiated curiosity as much as the rest of him. “What might I do for you?”

“I need to replace my wand,” Galen said. “Honestly, I’d have been by sooner, but I wasn’t sure you were back, or ready for customers, yet.”

“While this was certainly one of the most terrible wars I’ve seen, it’s far from the only one, Mister Salvatore,” Ollivander said dryly. “Nor is the rest of my family, for that matter. I am not unaccustomed to closing shop and moving, if necessary. I can do so quite quickly. Likewise, reopening is just as simple a matter, with proper practice.

“Not,” he added quickly, and firmly, “that I am ungrateful for the timely warning that convinced me to leave in the first place . . . But I am rambling, forgive me—you came to replace your wand, you say? You are quite certain it’s beyond repair?”

“I landed on it from several stories up,” Galen replied, in a tone whose dryness matched Ollivander’s own, earlier. “I did bring the pieces, just in case, but splinters of it put several punctures in my lung, I was told.”

The elderly wizard grimaced in sympathy. “A nasty business, Mister Salvatore; I’m pleased to see you hale and whole, in that case. Regrettably, while it has many admirable qualities, hardiness is not among reed wood’s virtues—”

He stopped, and looked down.

“This is eleven inches’ worth of wood, Mister Salvatore,” Ollivander said grimly. “But that wood is about as far from reed wood as it is possible to be, and that hair did not come from a unicorn’s tail.” He fixed the younger wizard with a look. “Where, pray tell, is the wand that I sold you?”

“Destroyed in my first year,” Galen admitted, feeling some measure of guilt given how, exactly, it had been destroyed. “A family friend took responsibility for that and replaced it.”

“I see,” he said, in the sort of chilling tone that one might expect from an artist whose creation has been destroyed. He surveyed the fragments with an air of professional offense, though no hint of it showed in his tone.

“Going by the nature of the hair, I can fathom a confident guess as to whom—and as I told Miss von Einzbern several years ago, I find that Veela hair makes for a very temperamental wand.” His eyebrows rose in a somewhat sardonic expression. “I imagine you had more than a few difficulties with it, hm?”

“A few,” Galen admitted.

“Naturally,” the wand-maker murmured, in the tone of one who’d expected to be proven right. “Still, it’s obviously Gregorovitch’s handiwork, which means it’s hardly an inferior wand . . .”

He trailed off, staring at the pile of wood pieces.

“His handiwork, and familiar in more than just that,” the old wizard said firmly, after a moment. “This was part of a matched pair, wasn’t it? Miss von Einzbern’s own wand was its counterpart?”

“So far as I know, yes,” the younger answered with a shrug. It wasn’t as if there was anything in particular to lose by admitting it now.

“I thought so,” Ollivander said in that self-assured tone. “His work, but a cut above his usual, as with its sibling.” He gazed at the fragments with an intensity that his naturally luminous eyes rendered unnerving. “And now that I’m examining it more closely than the last, I’m confident in saying that it’s Gregorovitch’s work, but not his design . . . Most curious.

“I wonder, Mister Salvatore,” the wand-maker said amiably, “might I purchase these pieces from you, for study? Offer you a discount on your replacement, perhaps?”

“You’re welcome to them if they interest you, Mister Ollivander,” Galen said honestly. “There’s no need to buy them—what else would I do with them?”

“Indeed,” Ollivander murmured. “Most generous of you, Mister Salvatore, just the same . . . But that is for later. You did come for a replacement wand, after all—and I would be most remiss in delaying your service, even without such largesse . . .”

“So, what did you wind up with?” Takara asked curiously, later—and Galen smirked.

Hermione’s eyes widened.

“Don’t say it . . .” she warned.

Ignoring her, he brandished the wand (a fair bit longer than his last two) and responded, “It’s a combination of laurel wood and unicorn hair, this time—fourteen-and-a-half inches ‘with a surprisingly swishy flexibility,’ according to Ollivander.”

Don’t say it . . .” Hermione repeated pleadingly.

“Just as good at protective Charms as any of my prior wands, even if it’s oriented more towards finesse than power,” he explained. “Supposedly, it’s an excellent wand for a duelist. Whether or not that’s true, though it’s not the most important thing—”

Don’t say it . . .” This time had an air of resignation to it, spoken more by rote than by any expectation her plea would be heeded.

That being the fact,” Galen announced with a grin, “that mine is bigger than Voldemort’s.

The simultaneous whacks to both shoulders—one from each witch—were totally worth it.

The Aerie
    June 10, 1998

Shirou let out a sigh of relief as he stepped through the Floo. After spending weeks tracking down a number of individuals who’d either fled or been hidden from Wizarding Britain, and ensuring that they were able to safely return, it was good to be home.

“I’m back!” he announced in Japanese.

“Welcome back!” Ilya called from a distance, in the same language.

As he quickly divested himself of his outer robe and boots, Shirou followed her voice to find Ai playing with blocks on the playroom floor, and Ilya emerging from the bathroom across from it—she nearly ran into him, in fact, causing them to both take a step around the corner, out of the playroom’s sight.

“Sorry—bad timing on my part,” he apologised.

“That’s certainly one way to put it,” Ilya murmured, an amused smile on her lips.

. . . Too amused, Shirou realised, and he gave her an appraising look.

“What is it, Ilya-chan?” he asked.

“Well, that’s not going to be accurate in the near-future,” she drawled, still sounding entirely too entertained about something. “Remember that victory party at Hogwarts . . .?”

He blushed at the mention of it (and flushed deeper at her lascivious smirk), but managed to answer the question, nonetheless. “Yes—”

“So do I,” she cut him off. “In fact, I’ve very recently been reminded of it—along with the fact that I should unpack my maternity clothes before I start growing back into them.”

Shirou blinked, needing a moment before parsing what she’d said—and even then, he still had to ask for confirmation. “You’re—?”

“Pregnant again?” she said in a suddenly cheerful tone that he didn’t quite trust. “Yes—so I’m very glad you’re home. It means that there will finally be someone to hold my hair back, first thing in the morning . . . “

Unlike her earlier emotional undertones, the annoyance in Ilya’s voice was entirely unexaggerated. Remembering her last experiences with morning sickness, Shirou could hardly blame her for it, either.

Her eyes went to a half-lidded gaze, suddenly; her voice dropped with them, to a husky murmur, as she added, “And that tonight, we can try for twins . . .

Yes, Shirou thought as his wife dragged him back towards his daughter; it was very good to be home . . .
    Last edited by Kieran; May 18th, 2020 at 09:06 AM.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Whooo, and this looks actually canon, or at least canon-compatible, unlike the Kreacher omake, which was more clearly an alternative. Interesting. I suppose it would be bad form to necro The Twilight after over a year. Sacrificing the Wand of Passion makes sense, particularly symbolically. I never really thought about Galen actually taking much backlash from that bolt, admittedly, I assumed it would be more of a directing thing, particularly given his height and distance from the target.

I really like Ollivander's "in the sort of chilling tone that one might expect from an artist whose creation has been destroyed". Just the most literal description is incredibly fitting. I thought the Elder Wand could canonically repair other wands, though the Wand of Passion (or Peace) might be more complicated than usual. Ollivander will likely get good use out of studying it, though.

Galen, I think your age can be also adequately described by your wand length. Of COURSE that's the most important thing. Also Ilya, that's not how how twins work. Did your mother not tell you about the birds and the bees? Also, that should be Sakura, who's... 3 years younger than Ai, who was born in mid-6'th year? Looks like you have your timeline straight though, since Sakura's 5 years old in 2004, and this is mid-1998, so she'd be born in 1999.
    On a mostly unrelated note, since I've seen some interesting things in Grand Order involving the Olympians, that does make me wonder what Galen's reaction to some of those events would be. (I was rereading the last couple main-line chapters of Trinity, which should directly precede this, and noticed Galen's invocation again)
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; May 17th, 2020 at 11:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Whooo, and this looks actually canon, or at least canon-compatible,
    Yes, it is - one of the many "post-canon" pieces I've written, and had stashed away in the "If I Ever Actually Write a Sequel . . ." file.

unlike the Kreacher omake, which was more clearly an alternative.
    Quite.

Interesting. I suppose it would be bad form to necro The Twilight after over a year.
    I could - I mean, as the original poster, it wouldn't even be necro-ing, really - but as this is beyond The Twilight, I'm not sure it really counts. And as far as continuations go, I've really thought only so far as a collection of related stories and snippets, rather than a lengthy, drawn out plot. Thus, my thinking of a separate thread, Trinity: The Aftermath (hence the title), with all the post-canon bits I've written thus far.

Sacrificing the Wand of Passion makes sense, particularly symbolically.
    I thought so. I also found some amusement in the idea in of magic itself saying "Wand of Passion OP, pls nerf."

I never really thought about Galen actually taking much backlash from that bolt, admittedly, I assumed it would be more of a directing thing, particularly given his height and distance from the target.
    The blindness and deafness are basically from being on the fringes of it; when you're that close to arguably the world's biggest lightning bolt of all time, you're going to catch some splash damage. The rest of it is either from the fall, or simply the wand exploding in his grip.

I really like Ollivander's "in the sort of chilling tone that one might expect from an artist whose creation has been destroyed". Just the most literal description is incredibly fitting.
    And John Hurt, may he rest in peace, could have delivered it perfectly.

I thought the Elder Wand could canonically repair other wands, though the Wand of Passion (or Peace) might be more complicated than usual. Ollivander will likely get good use out of studying it, though.
    It could, in theory - but by the same token, too many people have seen it (or know it to be) destroyed for its sudden reappearance to not raise questions that nobody wants to answer.

Galen, I think your age can be also adequately described by your wand length. Of COURSE that's the most important thing.
    What's life for, if not taking joy in the small absurdities of it?

Also Ilya, that's not how how twins work. Did your mother not tell you about the birds and the bees?
    Yes. Also, she's a Vee ~ la, as she's fond of reminding everyone (particularly Shirou) - are you really sure she can't do things that way?

Also, that should be Sakura, who's... 3 years younger than Ai, who was born in mid-6th year? Looks like you have your timeline straight though, since Sakura's 5 years old in 2004, and this is mid-1998, so she'd be born in 1999.
    I do try, very hard, to keep my continuity consistent. (Seriously - I researched morning sickness, just so I could date that scene properly . . . )

On a mostly unrelated note, since I've seen some interesting things in Grand Order involving the Olympians, that does make me wonder what Galen's reaction to some of those events would be. (I was rereading the last couple main-line chapters of Trinity, which should directly precede this, and noticed Galen's invocation again)
    . . . Me too, now that you mention it . . .

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I like the laurel wand given its association with immortality, victory and health, but this line from Rowling jumped out at me.

...it will cleave happily to its first match forever, and indeed has the unusual and engaging attribute of issuing a spontaneous lightning strike if another witch or wizard attempts to steal it.
    That little tidbit alone makes it a good match for Galen.
    "We don't need martyrs right now. We need heroes. A hero would die for his country, but he'd much rather live for it." -Josiah Bartlet

List of Servants I've made

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Funderfullness View Post
    I like the laurel wand given its association with immortality, victory and health, but this line from Rowling jumped out at me.

That little tidbit alone makes it a good match for Galen.
    It very much does . . . I'm kind of annoyed I missed that, when I went looking for that kind of information, but at the same time, I'm forced to admit that the Pottermore's wand selection algorithm apparently has a sense of humour.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Shadows Die Thrice

Continuing . . .

October 30, 1998

Tomorrow would mark two years since Hermione had been cursed. The next year would mark three, one of the prime—and most powerful—magical numbers, and still the taint of vampirism clung to her.

It was far weaker than it could have been, true; meeting the Prince had proven that much. His reactions to the usual vampire weaknesses had been far more severe than hers, if less than any other vampire’s. Not even the weight of centuries could bestow that much immunity; it was proof that the curse of the unicorn’s blood did take willfulness into account, at least marginally; as with all magic, intent mattered. Hermione had not knowingly become as she was, so she didn’t suffer the full malice of the ancient magic’s wrath.

No, she was, without question, the most human vampire in existence . . . But she was still a vampire—the living damned if not the living dead—and there was no way of knowing at what point her transformation would truly become irreversible. Would it come in her third year, seventh year, or thirteenth year? Or after she’d outlived her mortal lifetime? Perhaps even after her first century?

Or was it already too late . . .?

Such thoughts had consumed her boyfriend—no, Takara corrected herself, her fiancé in all but name—and she would be lying if she denied sharing his worries. After all, he was the foremost expert in vampirism that any of them knew of; just by establishing what he had of Hermione’s condition, he’d managed to surpass any number of “authorities” on the subject worldwide. An expert on how Dark magic interacted with the human body, Takara might be studying to become, but this wasn’t, strictly speaking, her field—she didn’t know enough to contradict Galen’s fears, and she wouldn’t try to override his concerns, any more than he’d question her expertise in medicine.

That Hermione confided in her the secret self-doubts he had—the hidden, selfish desires that he feared might spur him to stop searching for a cure—was just an extra impetus. It said something about Galen that he’d stopped listening to such things easily, and she was proud of him for it; on the other hand, they’d gone through seven years of his working through things the last time he had, and if failing to help Hermione drove them to listen again . . .

Takara liked to think that she’d learned some patience (willingly or not) over the course of growing up a second time—but that patient, she wasn’t.

There was, unfortunately, little that she could do to help. While her efforts in studying alchemy (most specifically, deconstructing the secrets of the Philosopher’s Stone) and magical medicine gave her some insights in potential ways to treat Hermione’s state—or at least, understanding of some the ways it worked, and the reasons for it—an actual cure was beyond her. Likewise, between Galen, Luna and Hermione herself, all possible areas of research were being covered quite thoroughly, which left her at a loose end.

Or at least, all possible areas of research in Britain were being covered . . .

Which had brought her to Nihon, in the end; after all, even leaving aside her aunts’ particular fields of interest and how they might apply, there were any number of secrets here unknown to outsiders. It was quite possible that there was a cure for vampirism, and it had been sitting in an archive for the last five hundred years without anyone in the West being told about it.

Aoko, thankfully, didn’t note anything amiss about her “school project”—of course, having a newborn to look after helped with that. Little Seiko was adorable; it looked like she’d ultimately inherit her father’s hair and eyes, much like Takara had, but Sirius’ black hair would actually stand out less than Aoko’s red. Whether her eyes were ultimately grey, blue, or a mix in-between, however, she likely would draw the same sort of attention her cousin had, growing up—and Takara made a mental note to try and be there for her as much as she could.

But, she thought wearily, one crisis at a time . . .

Sadly, her other aunt had no such distractions. Worse, she was as academically-inclined as Hermione when it came to her chosen field, and had considerable experience with liars, between her sister and Tom Riddle. It made evading her probing questions all the more difficult; Takara did not want the truth of Hermione’s nature getting back to her parents. She would have to tell them, eventually—she recognised that that fact was becoming more and more inevitable as time passed—but she wanted such revelations done on her terms.

Eventually, however, Touko merely gave her a piercing look.

“. . . You have developed the most curious hobbies,” she remarked at last. “So different from the monkey of a girl who used to come into the house spattered with grass or dirt, or the little princess your mother so wished for.”

Takara tried not to wince at that, and hoped her reaction just came across as simple embarrassment from an older relative’s teasing.

“Still,” she murmured thoughtfully. “I can hardly complain—it’s pleasing, in many ways, to see that you were born with more than just the Aozaki name . . . And I am more than looking forward to seeing if you eventually can replicate your work.”

Takara blinked. “I’m sorry . . .?”

Touko’s voice was more than a little sardonic as she answered, but her smile, while slight, was genuine.

“My, my, Takara-chan—have you forgotten that Arcueid wasn’t the only one involved in developing Salvatore-kun’s treatments? We do keep in touch regarding his health, you know. How you’ve done it is beyond me, for the moment, but the reasons behind your sudden interests in alchemy aren’t that difficult to discern . . .” Her smile showed teeth. “Well done, by the way—if you can replicate it, it’ll be the most significant contribution to the field in centuries, if not ever.

“I know,” Takara murmured, allowing some of her genuine feelings on that matter to show through. “The trick is figuring out how to do it without killing the subject in the process—even Galen barely survived.”

“And he’s got a constitution that would put a lot of oni to shame,” her aunt acknowledged. “Add that to the poor health most of the hengeyokai develop . . . Yes, that would be a problem.” She nodded. “Your interest in this becomes a little clearer.

“All right,” her aunt said. “There is one thing—an old legend. I never made much progress with it, nor did your aunt, but you’ve shown a knack for surprises. You’ll need to do some travelling; either to Yokosuka, or Osaka—somewhere on Mount Kongo to be precise . . . Or as precise as a legend ever gets, at least. In the latter case, which I think more likely, you’ll be seeking out an old temple, overlooking a hidden land—and in the former, seeking the land itself.

“It’s called Ashina . . .

And so she went, seeking a place that had vanished from history, even magical history, at the close of the sixteenth century. Where the legends that did survive of it spoke of pure waters with miraculous properties, an abundance of divine spirits and demonic creatures, the blood of a dragon which granted immortality; and of the quest of a single warrior to sever its ties to the world.

How much of it was true, Takara had no idea—but she knew enough not to dismiss the legend’s claims out of hand. And so, in addition to her wand, and all her other usual gear, she made certain to bring Melinoë with her. Because if she was going to do battle with demons and gods, she was going to need all the help she could get . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Based on Sekiro this time, hm. Among the Trinity I'd say Takara is probably best-suited to a Dark Souls game, considering how much emphasis they have on being speedy. Particularly Sekiro, of course.

I looked up "hengeyokai" to double-check it was a reference to Galen's condition, not Hermione's (which we established Touko didn't know about, but I never put knowing too much past the Aozakis in general). Nice to see Sirius still has it, I don't think we've been introduced to Seiko before.

Blog Entries
    Based on Sekiro this time, hm. Among the Trinity I'd say Takara is probably best-suited to a Dark Souls game, considering how much emphasis they have on being speedy. Particularly Sekiro, of course.
    Yes - and probably least suited to Dark Souls itself, given her possession of the Deathstone. I mean, when you can theoretically summon and command (or destroy, with Melinoe) any and all souls you can learn the name of . . .?

Granted, it might be fun to have Takara be the ridiculously overpowered one for once, but still. (Alternatively, I suppose Deracine (sorry, I can't add the accents from here) might work, but I think its lore on fairies is too contradictory to how they exist in Harry Potter; I did consider bringing Shirou along for the ride here, but thought it would be overkill.) And of the FromSoftware games released so far, Sekiro is seemingly the easiest to fit as an actually existing setting in the Harry Potter universe; it's just supernatural enough to fit, but not so much so that its lore completely contradicts anything in the Potterverse itself.

I suspect that, if I do continue this (and it is tempting), I'll be using the "Immortal Severance" ending. The "Shura" one might better explain why the events of Sekiro are considered a myth - or more specifically, why the existence of Ashina was so heavily buried that it's such - but this one would allow me to have at least some of the characters in Sekiro canon make appearances.

(Three guesses as to who I'm really interested in, here, and the first two don't count. )

I looked up "hengeyokai" to double-check it was a reference to Galen's condition, not Hermione's (which we established Touko didn't know about, but I never put knowing too much past the Aozakis in general).
    Neither do I - and especially her.

Nice to see Sirius still has it, I don't think we've been introduced to Seiko before.
    Theoretically, she was in a Fate/EXTRA snippet I did as Hakuno Kishinami - real name Cassiopeia Aozaki . . . On reflection, however, I decided that name was a little too unwieldy for Japanese native speakers to pronounce, and settled on this. While not a specific constellation or star, it does honour the Black family's penchant for such names.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Trinity/Holidays and Hearts (?): The Gathering

Continuing . . .

Longbottom Manor
    December 31, 1999

“They were doing what?” Alice Longbottom asked, in the tone of someone who devoutly believed she could not possibly have heard correctly.

“A little Christmas charity for the mundane people of Britain,” her mother-in-law repeated.

The elder woman sounded far more serene than she’d ever believed the Longbottom matriarch could (much less about sound a potentially inflammatory—in fact, outright criminal—topic). Indeed, there was a strong undercurrent of pride there which, while quite familiar to those who knew Augusta Longbottom, seemed very strange given the matter under discussion.

Alice traded a look with her husband. For his part, however, Frank merely shrugged, seeming just as puzzled.

“And what, precisely,” she asked carefully, “does that entail?”

“Well, if last year is anything to go by,” answered one of the very last people whom she wanted to hear answering such a question, “I suspect that the morrow will find a bit of an increase in supplies to the food banks and shelters, the duplication or Conjuring of the odd toy or gift for those who can’t afford one—from ‘Father Christmas,’ of course—and an easing of the way for those who wouldn’t quite make it home otherwise . . .

“In general,” Arthur Weasley, Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, concluded, “a few small bits here and there to make the holiday brighter and cheerier than it might be without, mostly because they can, and they believe that they should.

The younger (relatively speaking) witch and wizard in the room blinked. “. . . And you approve, Mister Undersecretary?”

It was his wife who answered, a scowl on her face.

“It’s dangerous—if they’re caught . . .” She trailed off, scowling, even as she admitted begrudgingly, “But their hearts are in the right place, I suppose—even if I don’t entirely like it.”

Alice’s eyebrows rose. While she and Frank were still on the “medically-retired” list—though at least she had a chance of getting back to active duty, once she’d caught up on the regulations and was back in shape—they were still Aurors by training. And hearing this . . .

“The Undersecretary has no certain knowledge of any of this,” the man himself said carefully. “Last year, there were merely hints after the fact that made me suspicious of the circumstances but no concrete leads—and this year, I was puttering around in my shed when and if any plans may have been made.”

“Quite coincidentally, of course,” broke in another voice—heralding the Algernon Croaker, with his usual dry tone. “Equally coincidentally, it appears that another year’s data will be tabulated regarding an ongoing study of ours, relating to the metaphysical effects upon magical phenomena when undergoing firsthand observation . . .

“And with a larger pool of sources, this year,” he added, “seeing as it requested a further half-dozen Time-Turners as part of its equipment . . .”

The Undersecretary’s eyebrows rose. “Did they, now? I’d heard the boys wanted to volunteer for that study—I wonder who else they roped in . . .?”

“It would,” said yet another new arrival, in a deep, smooth voice, tinged with a lyrical Caribbean accent, “be interesting to know, wouldn’t it?”

Alice and Frank were, as previously noted no longer Aurors—and as the last few moments had gone on, they had privately considered themselves hardened against surprise, if not shock; even so, they stiffened at the sudden arrival of the Minister of Magic. Shortly thereafter, his bodyguard—and the current (and very temporary, as he grouchily protested to anyone who asked) Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement—appeared nearby, visibly dismissing a Disillusionment Charm in doing so.

Alice and Frank traded glances again, jointly making the connection that Mad-Eye Moody, the most infamously paranoid wizard alive, had been in the room for some time—and most certainly long enough to have followed the conversation . . .

Finally, with a somewhat-exasperated sigh, it was her husband who demanded, “Are we being pranked, for some reason? Is that what this is?”

“Or,” Alice said sharply, having surreptitiously drawn her wand (or as much as she could have, given Moody’s infamous eye) while all eyes were on her husband, “are we dealing with impost—?

Her threat was neutralised before she’d even concluded making it, as her wand sailed out of her hand towards Moody’s grip.

“Five outta ten, Alice,” he said gruffly, following a bark of laughter. “Next time, stun first and interrogate after—but a decent try, for a woman six months out of the Janus Thickey Ward, and eighteen years out of date.

Her wariness didn’t entirely decrease; she’d learned the cost of failing to be “Constantly Vigilant” every time her baby boy—who now towered over her by the better part of a metre—entered the room. Still, as she was presently outnumbered and unarmed, with no obvious fallback positions (and oddly, no evident hostility), Alice elected to keep them talking.

“Have the laws regarding the International Statute of Secrecy changed in that time, then?” she inquired coolly.

“They have not, Mrs. Longbottom,” Minister Shacklebolt assured her seriously “And apparently, we owe you an apology for assuming you were better-informed of certain secrets than you apparently are.

“I was working up to that . . .” her mother-in-law growled.

“Ah.” The hue of Arthur Weasley’s complexion very nearly matched his hair, at that statement. “Dreadfully sorry, Augusta—my mistake.”

Alice felt a shiver run down her spine at the answering “Yes,” even knowing that it wasn’t directed at her, and felt a brief stab of sympathy for the man—though not enough to risk drawing that wrath upon herself.

“And why,” Frank said carefully, putting her own thoughts into words, “are the highest levels of government participating in breaking the most paramount law of our world?”

“Simply put,” Kingsley said, “because we’ve been given ample reason to believe that the Statute can’t last. Maybe it won’t be next year, or even next decade, but the time is coming when the mundane population of the world will discover our existence, in a way that’s beyond our ability to hide. The evidence we’ve been shown of what they can accomplish is both astonishing and horrifying to contemplate—and a very convincing argument that our days of isolation are numbered.

“And when that day finally happens . . .” Arthur Weasley said solemnly, “Well, as I told my children—there are far worse things that can, and almost certainly will, be laid at our feet than a tradition of Christmas charity.”

“Likewise,” her mother-in-law added grimly, “it’s been demonstrated to my satisfaction, at least, that acting pre-emptively, however tempting it might be, would only bring greater disaster.” Her expression was harsher and more forbidding than any the younger witch had ever seen before—and that was saying something. “Never think that we are entirely satisfied with this state of affairs, Alice, but the consequences of war between us—and it would be war, on a scale that makes all our prior conflicts look like a schoolyard spat—are something that neither side would survive.

“Thus, we have an unofficial arrangement,” Uncle Algernon said quietly. “The group of them work very hard to stay beneath official notice, and we, in turn, try equally hard not to notice them.” He smiled thinly. “Thus far, the arrangement has proven tentatively beneficial in a number of areas.”

“True,” Minister Shacklebolt reflected. “The level of cooperation we’ve been receiving from Whitehall is better than it’s ever been in living memory—the Excuse Committee has never had an easier time of things. Less work for the Obliviators and Accidental Magic Reversal Squad, as well.”

“And we now have access to some remarkable tools,” the head of the Department of Mysteries added. “While we far outstrip their capabilities in some areas, the ability to coordinate information, alone, never mind some of the micro-scale analysis that non-magical technology is capable of . . .” He shook his head. “So many paths we never considered before—we could spend the next twenty years on spectrograph readings alone.

A wintry smile crossed his face. “I haven’t had such fun in decades!

Alice blinked, trading puzzled glances with Frank. It wasn’t as though they doubted them, exactly; these were, by and large, people they knew and trusted. Family, in many cases—and as such, people whose word they believed, implicitly. And yet, what they were being told, what it implied—and how it went against every tenet of the world they’d been raised in . . .

Something of their struggle must have shown on their faces, because her mother-in-law suddenly said, “Ten years.”

She blinked at the non-sequitur—nor was she the only one. Carefully, Alice prompted, “I’m sorry . . .?”

“Ten years,” the older witch repeated firmly. “For ten years, I was told the same thing: that there was nothing to be done. That the damage was beyond the ability of medicine—of magic—to heal, and that there was no realistic hope of that ever changing. For ten years, I watched you and my baby boy waste away in those beds and watched a little more of Neville’s hope turn to desperation with each visit. And in hindsight, that’s as much my fault as Lestrange’s,” she acknowledged bitterly, “because I took out my own desperation on him; small wonder he took to hoping that his mother would come back—that anyone could save him from me . . .

Her last words dripped with venom, and were all the more toxic, perhaps, because they were self-directed. It was certainly shocking; as much for the admission itself as for what it contained—what Alice remembered of her mother-in-law was that she could most accurately be described as, “sometimes wrong, but never uncertain.” And it shook Alice, honestly, to see Augusta Longbottom so . . . Vulnerable. Perhaps even more than seeing a grown wizard in place of her toddler had—it was as if one of the pillars of the world had shifted position.

Not, the thought ran through her mind, that it’s the only one to do so tonight . . .

“Or me,” Algernon acknowledged grimly, perhaps hoping to relieve his sister of some of the obvious guilt she bore. “You were hardly alone in making mistakes regarding Neville, Augusta—”

“Which doesn’t make it better!” she snapped.

For a moment, her mouth opened, her expression far more familiar to Alice—the one that heralded a scathing tirade . . . But for a wonder, she stopped in mid-deep breath, letting it out with a half-hearted exhalation.

“But that is not entirely germane to my point,” the Longbottom matriarch conceded stonily. “Which is this: despite all the failures made, by everyone around you, the pair of you are here, today—and it is only because of those children, and their insistence on adapting or using mundane knowledge outright.

“That being the case,” she said dryly, “I am willing to take them at their word when they explain the potentials involved with integration—both good, and ill.”

Alice and Frank traded looks, absorbing that in silence. Finally, it was he who turned to Alastor Moody—their former direct superior, the veteran Auror whose fame for catching Dark wizards was just equal to the infamy of his paranoia.

“And you, sir?” he asked bluntly. “What do you think of all this?”

If anyone would or ought to object to all of this, then surely . . .

“That I’ve seen enough to know they’re right,” growled the wizard in the room with more scars than all the others combined. “Some of the tricks the Muggles use—and I know,” he snapped at the rest of the room in annoyance, “it’s habit . . . In any case, they’ve got tricks no witch or wizard’s ever dreamed of; can’t prove they can’t bypass magical protections without demonstrating it to everybody else—but it’s enough to make me think that if they can’t now, they could find a way later . . . And more importantly, I’ve seen enough to say that war between our worlds will only end up killing us along with them, or vice-versa—that much, they have dead to rights.

“As to how those kids are going about things,” he grumbled. “Doesn’t matter if I approve—it’s not like we could stop them, anyways.”

“I beg your pardon?” Alice exclaimed in disbelief.

She couldn’t possibly have heard that correctly . . .

The bark that came out of Moody might have been a laugh. “Lass, how many Aurors do you think we have, and where do you think they came from? With the exception of a few old fossils like me, and Tonks, every damned one of them got recruited from Hogwarts in the last year—which means that every damned one of them got trained by your boy, Arthur’s girl, and the little Lovegood. They all know how good those three are, and d’you fancy taking me on in a fight?”

The challenge had her stiffening—and so, Alice noted out of the corner of her eye, did the Minister.

“No, sir,” Frank said carefully. “Not unless I absolutely have to.”

“And not without a damned sight more backup,” the older Auror snorted. “The best instructors do that: leave the impression that they’re the next coming of Merlin to the new recruits, and make it stick for years afterwards. Ginny Weasley had an entire class of recruits soiling themselves when they arrived for combat training, because she was there, waiting for them.” What spread across his face might, charitably, be called a smile when he added, “Asked Minerva to let me borrow her for a weekend, as a stress test for them; there were tears on more than a few faces when she announced that ‘as you’ve all made it here, I can finally take the gloves off.’

“Arthur, Molly,” he said, lifting his flask in salute, “you’ve raised a girl after my own heart there—and none of ‘em quit, so they’ll do.

“All right,” Alice allowed, “so it wouldn’t be easy, if only because they’d make the teams nervous, but all of us against just the three of them should—”

Those three aren’t the problem, Alice,” Minister Shacklebolt said darkly. “Not to be dismissed—oh, no, not hardly—but they’re comparatively easy.”

“Your lad, his girl and their friends trained Hogwarts,” Moody rumbled. “And even they tread lightly around the other three.”

“Aozaki, Einzbern, and Salvatore,” the Minister agreed. “Two of the deadliest names in our world to conjure with—and the third only isn’t because most people outside Britain haven’t heard of him yet.”

“Don’t forget Miss Granger,” Algernon cautioned. “She may lack the raw power of those three, but it’s more than made up for by her intelligence.

“Aye,” Moody nodded in acknowledgement. “But we all know where the real trouble lies, if anyone ever took it into their heads to try and arrest that lot—and Granger, at least, you can reason with.

“Fair,” acknowledged more than one person in the room, causing Frank and Alice to trade incredulous glances with one another.

“I will be the first to admit that they’ve done incredible things,” Frank said carefully, unconsciously glancing at his legs, “Even miraculous . . . But sir, are you honestly telling us that British Ministry of Magic—that you, sir—are running scared of three teenagers who haven’t even written their N.E.W.T.s yet?”

“They spent most of the last decade running rings around You-Know-Who and Albus Dumbledore both,” Algernon said sharply. “And if they got away with it mostly because neither one took them seriously, that is still no small accomplishment—neither one was known for their lack of perception, after all.”

“. . . The Death Eaters took your mother,” Moody said, after a moment. “Snatched her right out of her Wizengamot seat—took your boy and the Minister about twenty minutes later and locked the place down behind them. We were hours breaking through all the enchantments . . .

They,” he continued, “had a rescue operation and backup plan ready by the time Neville reached the Ministry; and when he was taken, the six of them walked into a trap that You-Know-Who and his followers had had all the time in the world to prepare, with only a single, barely-graduated witch for backup—and it wasn’t them who wound up fleeing for their lives that night.”

Frank stared at his mother, with Alice alongside, and the older witch only nodded tightly.

“And that,” Moody said sharply, “they did when caught flatfooted, with no warning or preparation—in less time than it took to write their last O.W.L. And when they had the time to prepare . . . You-Know-Who ran the country for most of the last year, with all the advantages that implies; he brought the biggest damned force he ever fielded in either war to Hogwarts—and Pomona Sprout was the only one we lost. How many of his are left . . .?”

Silence filled the room at that. Having seen the casualty reports as part of her trying to get back up-to-date, Alice knew the answer was “not many”—and a lot of those had been caught, despite initially disappearing in the chaos involved. Indeed, the recapture numbers were surprising, considering how understaffed the Department had been.

Another benefit of Muggle cooperation . . .?

The Minister said carefully, “We have to assume that they’ve considered all the implications and possible reactions that people, mundane or magical, might have to what they’re doing—that there are plans in place for the possibility that we decide to try and enforce the Statute. It’s what they do. They had to know that in trying this, they could potentially make the entire world—both of them—their enemy . . .”

“And there’s no way they wouldn’t be ready for it,” Moody concluded grimly.

“. . . Needless to say,” Arthur Weasley opined, “we’ve decided to follow Hogwarts’ motto, in this case.”

“You make them sound more like natural disasters than children,” Frank said.

“Truer words were never spoken,” Algernon said dryly, though the amused smirk on his face hinted at some private joke.

Alice frowned. “There’s something very wrong about schoolchildren terrifying the government—to say nothing of them being your own children . . .”

She fixed her mother-in-law and the Weasleys with a reproachful look.

It was Molly Weasley who answered her, surprisingly enough—as much for the fact that she’d been quiet (an oddity, from what Alice remembered of her) as that she chose to answer, and how.

“Parent long enough, and if you’re smart, you learn to pick your battles,” she said firmly. “It took me longer than it probably should have, but . . .” She shook her head. “More than that, you eventually have to have faith in them, and their ability to make responsible decisions.

“Ginny’s earned that, from me,” she said fiercely, looking and sounding much more to Alice like the opinionated witch of her memories, “and so have her friends.”

“. . . And I am forced to correct myself,” Algernon remarked, after a beat. “Now, truer words were never spoken.”

“And because we trust them,” the Minister said, “we allow them to continue on this course, and hope that in the end, all will be well—so far, their record speaks fairly well for itself.”

“Indeed,” Arthur agreed. “It makes the year to come look much more interesting, don’t you think?”

“Agreed,” the elder Mrs. Longbottom replied, as she poured out several glasses of Firewhiskey. “And in that vein, I propose a toast: to the coming year, and with it, better fortunes for us all.”

“To the coming year!” came the reply.

After a glance between them, Alice and Frank drank, as well. Because whatever their doubts about the present situation, and where it might lead them—wasn’t believing in the hope for a better tomorrow what life was, ultimately, all about . . .?

Fin.

Writer's Note: I didn't quite make it in time - apologies. Nevertheless, I hope you're all safe and healthy for this holiday season, and that things do get better for us all in the year to come.

(I must admit, it's looking pretty promising so far . . . )

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I think this definitely counts. Thank youuuuu.

This was a fun and wholesome addition. I didn't think you were going to continue off of Frank and Alice, but it makes sense as a follow-up that also encourages in-character exposition, since they're not up-to-date yet. You're also clearly following off of both of the older christmas stories, but lack a link to the older ones (since you're linking directly back to the Longbottom story, which doesn't link back further to the older stuff)

I really enjoyed the novel anecdote about Ginny. It's interesting having a bit more focus on Ginny, Neville, and Luna, but this makes sense given the adults having the discussion. Moody's summaries are a lot of fun (he is a nice mix of gruff and still impressed). I didn't quite realize at 1999 the Trinity would still be pre-NEWTs, but it's a very immediate post-Twilight timeline. Also a very elegant reference to Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.

Also yeah, New Year seems to be starting off well

Blog Entries
    I think this definitely counts. Thank youuuuu.
    You're very welcome.

This was a fun and wholesome addition. I didn't think you were going to continue off of Frank and Alice, but it makes sense as a follow-up that also encourages in-character exposition, since they're not up-to-date yet. You're also clearly following off of both of the older christmas stories, but lack a link to the older ones (since you're linking directly back to the Longbottom story, which doesn't link back further to the older stuff)
    I did initially plan to set this during Christmas Eve; if nothing else, it would've explained the absence of our usual protagonists. But the story fought me for so long that New Year's seemed more reasonable a goal, by the time I got it finished.

I really enjoyed the novel anecdote about Ginny. It's interesting having a bit more focus on Ginny, Neville, and Luna, but this makes sense given the adults having the discussion.
    Those were my thoughts, as well - besides, those three deserve more of the spotlight. I'm kind of sad I couldn't work more of Luna in, but she and her father were still on holiday, Snorkack-hunting, so there was no one to speak for her.

Moody's summaries are a lot of fun (he is a nice mix of gruff and still impressed).
    I admit, Moody was the key piece, here - as a professional lawman and a paranoiac, he was the one who needed the most convincing not to do anything. And then I realised, looking back, that he probably already would be, for the reasons listed. He was already following their progress through Hogwarts, after teaching them in fourth year; he would analyse everything they'd done since, and try to come up with workarounds if he had to use them . . . And short of maybe Croaker, he would be the one to realise the implications of what they'd accomplished, even if he wasn't always aware of how.

Nobody in that room thinks that the trinity (much less the Seven) are invincible; enough force, properly applied, will bring them down. But right now, they don't have it. And they really can't afford what it's liable to cost them to try . . .

And while I half-forgot (and half couldn't-find-a-place) to write it in - yes, they could request help from the ICW to fill out the numbers, but that would cost them, too. Britain's been shaky, politically, for years; especially the last couple. If they need external assistance to maintain order, then, as they previously worried in series, they're liable to end up like post-WWII Germany - and for who knows how long . . .

As Arthur said, better to follow the Hogwarts motto.

I didn't quite realize at 1999 the Trinity would still be pre-NEWTs, but it's a very immediate post-Twilight timeline.
    Well, Ginny and Luna still have a year to finish, of course. As for the older students, Hermione would want to finish her schooling (as per even Rowling's canon), and given Shirou and Takara's Japanese upbringing (and subsequent views) on education, so would they. Now, Galen's views on school are less positive, but given that he's aiming for the Department of Mysteries, the more academic credentials he has on hand, the better. Besides, legally, Hermione is still his responsibility (even if only they know it), and let's be honest: where his friends go, so does he. Ditto, Neville - besides, the appeal of an actually normal school year shouldn't be underestimated.

. . . So, sadly (for them), the Department of Magical Law Enforcement will not be recruiting any of them straight out of Hogwarts this year - though as noted, arrangements can be made to borrow them.

Also a very elegant reference to Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
    Again, thank you.

Also yeah, New Year seems to be starting off well
    Indeed. I'm not entirely happy with their recasting everybody (though in Hisui's case, of course, it's sadly unavoidable), but I'm almost too excited to care.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Trinity: The Darkness

Hogwarts Castle, Scotland
    May 2, 1998

Nobody saw it coming, although they should have.

They had already collected most of the obvious facts involved, after all: Voldemort was fully capable of concocting and executing convoluted plans with backups and fail-safes, often taking years to reach fruition. He was also a vindictive son of a bitch, perfectly willing to destroy what he couldn’t possess; and he’d broken into the Ministry years before—to hear a prophecy, they’d thought at the time, and he’d certainly tried, but he’d also laid a Portkey enchantment as a later trap, allowing him to kidnap Neville’s grandmother long afterwards.

. . . Really, it should’ve come as no surprise that, on his way through the Department of Mysteries, he might’ve made another stop. But it hadn’t occurred to any of them, either at the time or years later—and so Voldemort’s dying curse, a final strike at his enemies, went unnoticed, until it was too late.

With the death of the Dark Lord, the Department of Mysteries ended its lockdown, returning once more to “normal” reality; and the enchantment, sensing the link to its master’s life having been severed, did as it was meant to do—and blew the veiled arch in the Room of Death to pieces.

And it took the world—or at least, a very significant part of that world—with it.

Claremont Square
    Islington, London
    Date unknown

It was not 12 Grimmauld Place.

And yet, it was a Georgian-style townhouse, and he had a set of keys that fit the lock on the front door—which really only proved that fact, because not only wasn’t there that hideous serpentine knocker on the door, but it opened with mundane keys . . .

Any thought that this was a non-magical home, however, was quickly tossed out the window; Kreacher hadn’t answered his call, but Galen could feel that there was something in the air, watching—and more importantly, Hermione was lying dead elsewhere in the house. Or undead, presumably, as he couldn’t find a mark on her, aside from her semi-usual bloodless pallor, and there was no obvious scent of poison. On the other hand, she was on a bed in the cellar, rather than a trunk in the attic, and he hadn’t smelled the faint soil aroma that her usual mattress gave off when she decided to use one.

Crookshanks was also present, and oddly, seemed little different from before, which he couldn’t quite account for. The cat seemed happy enough to see him, though; or at least, happy to have his water and food dishes refreshed. Surely, if Hermione actually was dead, Crooks would’ve been going spare—but instead, he seemed nonchalant about the whole state of affairs. This lent more strength to the “undead” argument, but the anomalies were nonetheless concerning.

There was, Galen noted with alarm, no sign of Mirai’s presence in all this; no second set of cat dishes or carrier, not even black fur spread over her favourite sunbathing spots (certain windowsills, or the tops of various chairs). Contrary to popular belief, after all, she didn’t exclusively reside in his lap—but she didn’t appear to have resided here for the last few months, either. And that was a very, very bad sign . . .

Because he was a werewolf, again, and not an Animagus, despite being able to change as freely as one. How did he know? Because in addition to the “dire wolf” switch in his head, there were three others, waiting to be tripped; and he knew only one kind of werewolf that had five forms.

He (or rather, they, counting Hermione’s presence) were in some version of the World of Darkness—and Galen had no idea which one.

This was bad. This was very, VERY BAD . . .

None of the possibilities was overly appealing; whether referred to as the “Old World,” “Classic World,” “New World” or “Chronicles,” the rest of the setting title was “of Darkness” for very good reasons, after all—but there were degrees of how screwed he was. The original World of Darkness, for example, was a Gothic-Punk setting with apocalyptic overtones; every game line in the setting emphasised that the end of the world was coming, there was nothing that could stop it, and when it did arrive, you—and everyone and everything else—were screwed.

And unlike most companies that would’ve touted such a scenario, they’d actually gone through with it. Gehenna, Apocalypse, Ascension, Oblivion . . . Whatever the various flavours of supernatural beings that inhabited the World of Darkness had called it, it had come, rather than being held off indefinitely as some prophesied end to keep the cash cow alive. So, if that was where they were, then the entire planet had a definite expiration date, and “long after I’m dead” was not it—and pretty much everything in it would be happy to kill them.

On the other hand, at least he knew what to expect from that World of Darkness.

The “new” World of Darkness had been a mixed bag; the transition from the setting’s apocalyptic themes and the resultant nihilistic despair to a more personal sense of horror was a nice change. As was the possibility for cooperation between the various supernatural beings, rather than the standard opinion of “everything that isn’t one of me is evil and/or needs to die,” he had to admit . . . But the watering-down of scale was not. The characters, overall, were much weaker, in terms of capabilities, than they’d been before; a single Garou werewolf would tear several of his successors apart in a fight, And the way the system had been designed to punish anyone with attributes over 5—when the maximum was 10 . . .

He’d given up Werewolf after a handful of books, finding more pleasure in the revamped Changeling line, and limited ones like Geist and Promethean; he’d never even looked at Vampire or Mage. And the introduction of a Second Edition—where it was officially and permanently renamed “Chronicles of Darkness,” and used rules more akin to Scion’s Second Edition—had only made it worse.

In the original World of Darkness, everything might want to kill me, and the world is going to end, but at least I’d know what I’m up against, and have something like a fighting chance . . . In the new one, I’ve got almost no idea what to expect—but while everything might not try to kill me, as I recall, it was a lot easier to get killed . . .

The house yielded frustratingly few clues, but by the same token, that wasn’t unexpected. The trope “Upholding the Masquerade” had come from Vampire, after all—and secrecy from the world at large hadn’t changed between games or editions. Moreover, if he was a Garou, the classic werewolf, living in a house at all would be unusual; they hated cities, as a rule, and only a few werewolf tribes were ever comfortable in the “Scabs” upon the natural world.

And I’m nowhere near tech-savvy enough to be a Glass Walker—kind of the opposite, in fact—nor do I look homeless enough to be a Bone Gnawer. Which is an argument for being an Uratha, maybe . . . But if this is, say, Hermione’s place, or just a safehouse for in-city operations, why would I have signs of my living here . . .?

Annoyingly, there was no definitive proof of what or where he was, or what he was doing here, that Galen could spot. And short of waiting for Hermione to wake up (which was several hours away) or checking the phonebook and to see if he spotted a number he could recognise as a Pentex subsidiary (far from guaranteed, after so many years), there was only one way he could think of to get any.

There was one major difference between a Garou and an Uratha which he ought to be able to spot right away, even without a mirror: sheer bloody size. Uratha, in addition to being weaker in terms of what changing forms added to a werewolf’s physical capabilities, were a lot smaller. Not small, by any means (there wasn’t much difference in height between the two wolfman forms, honestly), but an Uratha of his size would weigh about 470 pounds, and a Garou would be more than twice that.

Of course, both versions of the wolfman state were designed to be unstoppable killing machines driven by an instinctual berserker rage (more or less), so he should probably aim for either the “near-human” or “near-wolf” (dire wolf, as it happened) form. They had similar size disparities, even if they took more concentration to reach.

And focussing on that will take my mind off figuring out just where Takara—and everyone else, for that matter—went . . .

Neville, Ginny and Luna were easy enough to guess, of course; being “just” witches and a wizard, becoming mages was the obvious call, even if the powers wouldn’t map directly. Luna, admittedly, might be better-suited to being a changeling in the Classic style—she was fey enough to pass for a faerie, sometimes—but there were mage Traditions that would work for that, too. Being a Verbena or Dreamspeaker, for example.

Shirou was a bit harder to guess. Mage, Galen thought, was a “maybe”—there were martial Traditions in both the old and new World of Darkness. Then again, he’d seen Shirou done as a changeling in the new World of Darkness style in a suitable fashion, once.

Heck, given his penchant for dying and coming back, Shirou’s being a Sin-Eater would make a certain amount of sense—but it’d have to be the new World of Darkness for that to happen . . . I wonder, though: if he was, would his geist be EMIYA or Ilya . . .?

Galen didn’t think about Takara—he didn’t have to. While her “schoolgirl assassin” theme could be represented in any number of ways across both Worlds of Darkness, what she would be was all too obvious. Whether the universe was aiming for personal horror or apocalyptic despair, this was the automatic choice. After all, what was the worst thing, for Hermione, himself, or Takara, that she could possibly be . . .?

A Hunter, of course.

Writer's Notes: A day late, and not nearly as detailed as I would've liked - but it's what I've got, sorry.

. . . How can things possibly get worse, you ask? This is the World of Darkness - trust me, there's a way . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Sorry, I didn't spot this when going through the forum until now, probably haven't thoroughly checked the Discussion forum in a couple of days.

Post-Blood Galen/Takara/Hermione maps incredibly cleanly to World of Darkness, so I can definitely see the appeal. There's not really a lot of plot going on here, just enough to introduce the premise, but it's a good premise, and needs the exposition to explain why. The way the Seven is split among the World of Darkness factions has a lot of potential.
    In new World of Darkness, most of them wouldn't necessarily be in conflict, so I can see why you're undecided on whether it's a more interesting story if they can collaborate, or if that's more taboo. Of course, Takara will almost certainly be in faction conflict regardless, because I doubt Hunters will ever get along with vampires/werewolves. Very strong ending hook, I enjoyed the brief build-up to pointing out that elephant in the room. Lots of great parallels to conflicts from The Blood, and seeing that re-ignited in another setting could be very interesting.

I have to wonder if Hermione would be a Consensualist, if we're in newer editions?

I'm not familiar with the distinction between Garou and Uratha, but the White Wolf wiki seems to imply they're from different editions, so Galen would be using that to distinguish which World of Darkness edition he's in?

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I didn't spot this when going through the forum until now, probably haven't thoroughly checked the Discussion forum in a couple of days.
    It happens - I'd figured you'd get to it when you could.

Post-Blood Galen/Takara/Hermione maps incredibly cleanly to World of Darkness, so I can definitely see the appeal. There's not really a lot of plot going on here, just enough to introduce the premise, but it's a good premise, and needs the exposition to explain why.
    Yes - this could be a very good idea, but it's not one I'd expect people to just know about. Even the different editions within game lines represent pretty solid leaps in the game's timeline, even without getting into the Classic/Chronicles issue . . . But regardless, you need to know the stakes involved here. If this is the Classic World of Darkness, they're all doomed, flat-out. They might win for a bit, but ultimately, barring a major miracle, they'll fall along with the rest of the world. The New World of Darkness . . . The stakes aren't quite that high, but it's still damned dangerous.

The way the Seven is split among the World of Darkness factions has a lot of potential.
    Absolutely - almost too much, really.

In new World of Darkness, most of them wouldn't necessarily be in conflict, so I can see why you're undecided on whether it's a more interesting story if they can collaborate, or if that's more taboo.
    *Nods* Which is not to say that they'll necessarily be well-looked upon if they do collaborate, regardless; the newer setting is factional, they're just not intrinsically hostile to one another. But the newer setting is less confrontational about such things, which might be better - why add to the drama unnecessarily?

Of course, Takara will almost certainly be in faction conflict regardless, because I doubt Hunters will ever get along with vampires/werewolves. Very strong ending hook, I enjoyed the brief build-up to pointing out that elephant in the room. Lots of great parallels to conflicts from The Blood, and seeing that re-ignited in another setting could be very interesting.
    *Nods* Agreed, obviously - and again, the scale of it depends on the edition. The newer one (Hunter: The Vigil) has more moderate factions of hunters, like the Talbot Group, whereas the Hunters of the Reckoning have "Messengers" dropping instructions in their ears to kill things . . .

I have to wonder if Hermione would be a Consensualist, if we're in newer editions?
    *Looks it up* Probably, but if I go Classic, I'm going to stick with the 20th Anniversary Edition rulesets, since almost all the Classic lines have one, whereas Vampire is the only "5th edition" ruleset to date. By the same token, I'll be using the first edition New World of Darkness rules, if I go that way - the mechanics make more sense to me than Second Edition.

I'm not familiar with the distinction between Garou and Uratha, but the White Wolf wiki seems to imply they're from different editions, so Galen would be using that to distinguish which World of Darkness edition he's in?
    Yes - and there are several, to the point that they're very different species . . .

The highlights are that Garou are stronger, faster (they can spend Rage points for extra actions, and regaining it is really easy), do aggravated damage with their fangs and claws, and can hold wolfman (Crinos) form more or less indefinitely, unlike the Uratha. They do heal more slowly in human form, but that's a function of the games' respective time scales as opposed to their biology . . . On the down side, however, they are a lot angrier (they literally run on Rage), have nowhere near the capacity for Gnosis/Essence that Uratha do, and are not nearly as well adapted to cities (mostly).

To my mind, this is all largely a function of their design: the Uratha were meant to be police, guarding specific territories as a function of maintaining the balance between the material and spiritual realms, with no specific threats beyond the general one that both sides pose to one another. The Garou are soldiers, Gaia's defenders against the predations of literal Corruption Incarnate; they have to be nastier, because they're genuinely born for war . . . A war they are prophesied to either lose or die winning, but why should that stop them?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Yes - this could be a very good idea, but it's not one I'd expect people to just know about. Even the different editions within game lines represent pretty solid leaps in the game's timeline, even without getting into the Classic/Chronicles issue . . . But regardless, you need to know the stakes involved here. If this is the Classic World of Darkness, they're all doomed, flat-out. They might win for a bit, but ultimately, barring a major miracle, they'll fall along with the rest of the world. The New World of Darkness . . . The stakes aren't quite that high, but it's still damned dangerous.
    I mean, the win condition in the Old WoD case is probably "escape the universe", but that's a harder problem in Trinity than it is in Grail Works, normally. The classic JRPG "and then you kill god" is probably also an option, but it sounds like the world is doomed in a variety of ways, not all of which that would apply to.
    Absolutely - almost too much, really.
    I strongly feel the "there are so many good ideas and scenes that I have trouble choosing" (/won't be able to get to many of them) vibe. I find it very difficult to work without having defined constraints. I'm not sure what the equivalent for writing is, but I assume it involves some hard choices and tradeoffs.

*Nods* Which is not to say that they'll necessarily be well-looked upon if they do collaborate, regardless; the newer setting is factional, they're just not intrinsically hostile to one another. But the newer setting is less confrontational about such things, which might be better - why add to the drama unnecessarily?
    I have written several different sentences here and deleted them, but I will mostly say "I agree". If part of the plot involves characters who want to collaborate being in many factions, it makes sense to choose the setting where that has less extreme consequences. You have more latitude in defining how bad those consequences are. That said, considerations like the wider "is the setting doomed", or the source/nature of powers might trump that in importance.
    *Nods* Agreed, obviously - and again, the scale of it depends on the edition. The newer one (Hunter: The Vigil) has more moderate factions of hunters, like the Talbot Group, whereas the Hunters of the Reckoning have "Messengers" dropping instructions in their ears to kill things . . .
    As much as Takara wants to be a healer, I'm not sure the Talbot Group is the faction for her. Then again, that might be a better fit than a lot of the others, looking around further. Messengers seem like a very strong parallel with Nanaya, which sounds like a lot of fun.
    *Looks it up* Probably, but if I go Classic, I'm going to stick with the 20th Anniversary Edition rulesets, since almost all the Classic lines have one, whereas Vampire is the only "5th edition" ruleset to date. By the same token, I'll be using the first edition New World of Darkness rules, if I go that way - the mechanics make more sense to me than Second Edition.
    Reasonable. Someone in my house was watching a recorded RP session involving 5'th edition V:TM, and that came up as a character option. I was very amused.

To my mind, this is all largely a function of their design: the Uratha were meant to be police, guarding specific territories as a function of maintaining the balance between the material and spiritual realms, with no specific threats beyond the general one that both sides pose to one another. The Garou are soldiers, Gaia's defenders against the predations of literal Corruption Incarnate; they have to be nastier, because they're genuinely born for war . . . A war they are prophesied to either lose or die winning, but why should that stop them?
    Interesting. I can definitely see going either way on that one. Were this Galen before The Twilight, I think Garou would make a lot of thematic sense, playing up the monstrous aspects, but post-Elixir is more ambiguous. Not that aesthetic for any particular character should be the only consideration in choosing your system/setting, but I enjoy the thematic callbacks and parallels.

Blog Entries
    I mean, the win condition in the Old WoD case is probably "escape the universe", but that's a harder problem in Trinity than it is in Grail Works, normally. The classic JRPG "and then you kill god" is probably also an option, but it sounds like the world is doomed in a variety of ways, not all of which that would apply to.
    Yes - although I'm not totally sure how applicable each scenario is across the wider world. The multiple scenarios of Apocalypse are global in effect (as you might expect of a game whose theme is "doomed warriors of a dying planet"), but Gehenna is the Antediluvians rising to devour all Kindred; from that description, one might think that the effect on mortals is just collateral damage, rather than "they die, too." And I've no idea what the mages' Ascension is supposed to look like, much less any of the others' . . .

I strongly feel the "there are so many good ideas and scenes that I have trouble choosing" (/won't be able to get to many of them) vibe. I find it very difficult to work without having defined constraints. I'm not sure what the equivalent for writing is, but I assume it involves some hard choices and tradeoffs.
    Generally, yes - in a sense, this will almost be like writing a role-playing scenario, more than a fic; I'll have to decide what I want out of it, and where the lines are, which will limit the actual stories I can tell.

I have written several different sentences here and deleted them, but I will mostly say "I agree".
    Isn't it hard, when you can't find the best way to respond?

If part of the plot involves characters who want to collaborate being in many factions, it makes sense to choose the setting where that has less extreme consequences. You have more latitude in defining how bad those consequences are. That said, considerations like the wider "is the setting doomed", or the source/nature of powers might trump that in importance.
    Yeah - as I said earlier, I have to define what my limits and lines are before I can even think of an actual story.

As much as Takara wants to be a healer, I'm not sure the Talbot Group is the faction for her.
    Oh, almost certainly not - it was just the first moderate one I could find immediately to hand. I expect that the Malleus Maleficarum or Knights of St. George are more likely . . .

Then again, that might be a better fit than a lot of the others, looking around further.
    *Nods* Anti-vampire, anti-mage, or both, is the obvious theme for her.

Messengers seem like a very strong parallel with Nanaya, which sounds like a lot of fun.
    Hm - I'd not considered that . . .

Reasonable. Someone in my house was watching a recorded RP session involving 5'th edition V:TM, and that came up as a character option. I was very amused.
    Understandably.

One thought that has occurred to me for is that the Ventrue Clan of the Classic World of Darkness have a "preferred prey" necessity; perhaps a taste for werewolf blood . . .?

Hermione doesn't strike me as particularly political (the Ventrue are the "leaders"/puppetmasters among the Clans), but then again, she did make Minister for Magic in Rowling's canon.

Interesting. I can definitely see going either way on that one. Were this Galen before The Twilight, I think Garou would make a lot of thematic sense, playing up the monstrous aspects, but post-Elixir is more ambiguous.
    To be fair, the Uratha aren't exactly pacifists, either - it's just that Rage is so intrinsically a part of the Garou that it's an actual gameplay mechanic, so it at least seems more important.

Not that aesthetic for any particular character should be the only consideration in choosing your system/setting, but I enjoy the thematic callbacks and parallels.
    As do I - very much, in fact - which is why I want to do this right.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Ruminations! Quartet Thoughts! (Trinity/Isekai Quartet, Part 7)

Continuing . . .

Class 2

“Hermione Granger” . . .

As a salaryman, Tanya had been too busy climbing the corporate ladder to have much time for entertainments that didn’t serve to advance that goal; even less for foreign pop culture, if truth be told. At the same time, the media juggernaut of the twenty-first century made it difficult to escape picking up some things via osmosis; the financial empire built by a series of children’s books among them. Human resources and logistics might have been Tanya’s particular specialty, but you couldn’t generate that much money and not be noticed by someone who took business seriously.

She couldn’t say she’d have realised who it was without the boy’s outburst; there might have been a passing sense of recognition from seeing the foreign actress’ face on television reports and magazine covers, but it likely wouldn’t have gone anywhere. With that realisation, however . . .

The girl’s presence was odd, even by the standards of her current situation. Tanya noted that while she was with foreigners, neither seemed to be the two actors she’d usually been pictured with . . . Well, perhaps the boy with the glasses was the actor who played “Harry Potter” (dark hair, blue eyes and glasses seemed mostly right, from what Tanya remembered), but the girl was certainly not the red-haired boy. Which made no sense—Being X had abducted not only Tanya, but the command cadre of the 203rd, and the others in the room certainly seemed to be clustered into predetermined social groupings, so why . . .?

Tanya would allow that it was possible that it was the actress, rather than the character, who’d been taken; in that case, grabbing her co-stars for whatever film she was shooting would solve the mystery . . . But “Hermione” didn’t respond like an actress who’d been misidentified as a former role—either that, or she had a remarkable talent for controlling her reactions, and Tanya had missed out on seeing a genuinely gifted performer—and that meant that she was possibly the genuine article.

Which made her apparent companions all the stranger, but also provided Tanya with a lever to work with: “Hermione Granger’s” primary character traits were that she was both studious and logical, as a result of not having been raised as a witch. That made her the best possible choice for Tanya to make contact with among that group, if she wanted information or potential allies. Likewise, the boy in the green cloak, despite his fashion sense and emotional outbursts, had displayed a rational thought process earlier, in reprimanding her companion. And among the others . . .

Well, the group of monsters was still chancy, and probably best avoided; however, they all seemed to defer to the skeleton, so if she wanted anything from them, he was the obvious contact point. It was best to go straight to the top when permissible, after all. And as for the group with Track Suit Boy, Princess Girl, and the twin maids—

Wait. Both the kid in the cloak and the kid in the tracksuit had recognised that character—which implied that they were from Tanya’s time, or some point very near it.

Is Being X interfering with more lives than just mine . . .?

. . . On reflection, it was very likely; after all, based on the outdated system that he seemed to be running, it could be said that Being X was interfering with every life on Earth. It wouldn’t surprise Tanya that any logical, rational human being would call the would-be “god” out on his ineptitude. Really, she supposed that the surprise would be that there weren’t more people like her, running around . . . Though that still didn’t explain the giant skeleton and his entourage.

Honestly, the overall look is so ridiculously gaudy and over-the-top that I wouldn’t be surprised to find out it was Being X himself in disguise . . .

If that was the case, though, Tanya doubted he’d have been injured by that screeching, blue-haired idiot; he appeared to be so committed to following the outdated model of Christianity that allowing himself to be anything but the “one true God, omniscient and omnipotent” would seem to be beneath him. The skeleton, on the other hand, still had faint wisps of acrid smoke rising from its form—the smell was bringing back far too many memories of the front lines.

Regardless, she had at least two potential contacts who might hold grudges equal to her own when it came to Being X, one of which had an ally of his own who might be used as a threat or countermeasure when it came to the skeleton and its minions if necessary, and another magic-user renowned for her logic and talent. On top of that, she had the advantage of having long since graduated from the Japanese educational system—which would allow her to do so again with ease and honours—and her military superiors ran the school’s administration. Both facts gave her leverage to bargain with, in regard to dealing with the other groups.

All in all, she was in an excellent position, all things considered—even if she had no idea how or why she was here in the first place . . . Which, Tanya reminded herself, was usually when Being X yanked the proverbial rug out from under her.

Still, all she could do was prepare for that—and the first step was to maximise her advantages. And the biggest one, she expected, would probably be “the brightest witch of her age,” whose brand of magic was a lot closer to the reality-shaping powers of Being X than that of an aerial mage . . .

Hermione Granger . . .

As a rule, Kazuma didn’t take risks, and associating with someone who was the heroine of a bunch of fantasy films was definitely a risk. Maybe less without the actual hero around, but that wasn’t the point. The point was, as an Adventurer, he could learn any skill he saw demonstrated—and those movies had a lot of magic that didn’t seem to exist back in Belzerg.

Oh, sure, there was overlap between the two magic systems, but there were differences even there. “Teleport,” for example. But the “Harry Potter” version didn’t rely on needing to set destination points—or having a limit to how many you could have. If you knew the place, bam—you could be there. The ability to zip back to the mansion, the Guild, or the succubi’s place with a thought was . . .

Well, worth a lot of risks, really. Who didn’t want an “instant escape” option? Not to mention avoiding long carriage rides with undead-attracting useless goddesses and monster-attracting masochists?

And it was just the tip of the iceberg, in a lot of ways; the movies had showcased levels of telekinesis that Kazuma could see being really useful, along with flying, and a combination paralysis/silence spell that would be SO damned useful in wrangling his group of problem children, Kazuma wanted to weep in praise to the heavens for granting him this opportunity . . .!

Really, he knew his Luck was his best stat (and really high in the bargain), and that Eris, Goddess of Luck, was frequently nice to him (and far superior to Aqua), but this permanently cemented her in his mind as Best Goddess.

(In Class 1, a particular “student” abruptly felt embarrassed but pleased. Seeing no obvious cause for it, she immediately suspected Kazuma—there was ample precedent, after all. Sadly, she could also guess that, if true, she probably didn’t want to know why . . .)

The trick, he decided, was figuring out how to get her to demonstrate skills he could learn. She had a temper like Darkness’, and a repertoire like Yunyun’s; combining range and staying power. This meant that unlike most people (women) he dealt with, she would be perfectly all right with blasting him from a distance, repeatedly, if he tried his usual blackmail trick. And even if she didn’t do anything fatal, one of those movies had somebody turned into a wind-up toy, and characters had repeatedly noted things like “they haven’t invented the spell our Hermione can’t do”—and didn’t she say she’d modified a spell or two, in the films, herself?

In short, Hermione Granger was noted for being a witch who was brilliant, powerful, and creative . . . Yeah, not someone he wanted to try and goad into a straight fight. Sure, Darkness would probably defend him if he spun it right, and likewise, Megumin could probably be goaded into challenging her (but that meant tanking an Explosion at point-blank range, probably—no, thank you!), but that meant the others with Granger would probably jump in, and who knew what they could do . . .?

Kazuma studied the pair intently. He assumed they were with the witch, since everyone else here seemed to be divided into groups: his party, the war-worlders, the freak show, and the guy who looked like an isekai harem protagonist (the lucky BASTARD!), judging by how the two girls were leaning in to whisper to him. So, by process of elimination, the other two in the room seated to either side of the witch were with her, despite visibly not being Harry Potter or . . . Whatever that red-haired guy’s name was.

Let’s see . . . Standard “badass longcoat,” resting bitch face—basically, your standard emo edgelord look. All he needs is a “plus-infinity sword of overcompensating” to complete the look. And he’s—stroking a cat? Isn’t that a thing from those Western spy movies . . .? Great—he’s not only a cliché, but he’s also an overacting cliché . . .

Kazuma could feel the headache forming behind his eyes already.

Right, he decided, the smart thing to do is definitely to toss Megumin at him—with luck, they’ll both be so busy throwing melodramatic speeches at each other, they’ll never notice I’m ignoring them in favour of Hermione . . .

The schoolgirl was actually harder to pin down—not least because she was gorgeous. Kazuma had gotten used to dealing with (and being disappointed in) pretty girls, even pretty girls who looked Japanese, kind of (Megumin was closer to it than Aqua or Darkness, even with her eyes), but this one looked very Japanese, with only a slightly paler-than-usual skin tone and exotic blue eyes to spoil the illusion. And blue was a normal colour, compared to red; combine that with her outfit, and she had a real “class beauty” vibe going for her—especially when she turned to look at the witch, and Kazuma caught a glimpse of her rack.

Holy shit—I definitely need to get to know her better, he decided.

Still, there was no real indication of what she could (or would) do; with the other guy, he was either going to pull out a big-ass sword to go with the rest of the outfit or reveal a big-ass gun hidden under the coat—Americans always did that in their movies. Maybe he’d have “dark magic,” or “dark chi,” or some other edgy-sounding ability to go with it. Really, if Kazuma had to put money on it, there was a good chance he was some kind of angsty day-walking vampire; it usually went with that look. It would explain the cat, too, as some kind of familiar—or he was just an emo, trained-from-birth super-assassin with a literal morality pet. That would also fit that look, and it would justify his suddenly pulling out a gun. But as to the girl . . .

Nothing.
    She looked like a really good-looking but otherwise ordinary Japanese schoolgirl—which had to mean that she was anything but, particularly in the company she was in, but Kazuma would be damned if he could see any obvious indicators. Even the fact that she was with the witch and the edgelord weren’t really any help in narrowing down what she could be, which meant that he’d likely never know until it was way too late.

Right—keep Darkness between me and her at all times, if at all possible . . .

Kazuma grimaced. That would mean needing to rely on Aqua to watch his back, which was always a mistake; on the other hand, hopefully she’d cowed everybody by frying that evil-overlord-looking skeleton and made him look intimidating by folding when he’d scolded her. If so, that should keep the meanest-looking potential threats among the others around the room from picking a fight, and hopefully the rest would follow suit.

And if not, well . . .

Kazuma would admit that the war-worlders made him nervous, but the American would probably take any drawing of firearms as a challenge. He just had to keep himself out of the literal line of fire, and the two would probably take each other out. Getting Megumin out of that line of fire might be trickier, but he did have Darkness, and Aqua was a good healer—it would probably be fine.

OK, the plan was as set as it was probably going to get—now, he just had to wait for an opportunity to use it . . .

Ainz could feel his emotion suppression coming on, repeatedly. For once, however, the cause was not difficult for him to discern, nor acknowledge.

Part of it was terror: that girl who’d proclaimed herself a goddess had hurt him (him! A Level 100 undead!)—and nearly destroyed Shalltear, by the look of her—and yet, she was walking around with a mere human who smacked her around like it was nothing.

This strange new world, he thought to himself, has some SERIOUS power balance issues . . .!

And yet, it wasn’t even the larger part of the emotions affecting Ainz—because of the third undead in the room, the one the goddess-smacker had identified as “Hermione Freaking Granger” (whoever that might be) . . . The one who had been unaffected by the goddess’ Turn Undead because she was now, so far as his senses could tell, a living human being.

I could eat again . . .! I could feel things—!

. . .OK, that last suppression was his own fault, because Albedo sprang immediately to mind—but that was the POINT! No magic he had access to (given that those sorts of spells were divine and not arcane in nature) could undo an Overlord’s transformation; hide it or suppress it, sure—but undo it, to the point that a divine-level Turn Undead failed . . .? The temptation was serious—but the problem was, the ability was apparently in the hands of that walking nightmare . . .

Ainz, for a moment, recalled the world crumpling under the overwhelming focus, like someone had concentrated the sun's light through a magnifying glass onto a sheet of paper—but the paper was reality itself—

. . .

. . . What had he been thinking about, again? Ah, right—the possibility of becoming human again. It was a serious temptation, though fraught with perils; the Guardians might turn on him if he became a “lowly human”—and the only possible source for it was that walking nightmare. He did not want to attract its attention (though certain dark thoughts about steering it in the goddess’ direction did occur to him) . . . But he really did want the option, at least.

Still, perhaps if he could study the girl herself, he might be able to figure out a way to reverse-engineer the process . . .? And the obviously Japanese students claimed she was a witch—maybe she’d be interested in trading magic items to study for a little of her time (and possibly blood or other samples)?

If so, then the question remained—how did he get past that thing . . .?

Ah! The teacher just called for introductions—perhaps that would give him a clue . . .

Subaru sighed inwardly, with no small relief. Introductions, at last! Maybe now he could get some kind of clue as to what the heck was going on—such as why a character from a series of kids’ movie was here . . .?

Writer's Notes: So, after far too long, a second season of The Saga of Tanya the Evil has been announced! Thus, we wind up with this - though I'm going to have to re-watch Isekai Quartet if I go any farther, I think (oh. gee. the horror . . . )
    Last edited by Kieran; June 28th, 2021 at 09:23 AM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Oooh, more Isekai Quartet!

The different voices of each character are quite interesting. I haven't read any of the relevant LNs, so I don't actually have a good picture of what the internal monologues of any of these characters are like, but they seem fitting.
    Ainz, in particular, has a very... scattered sort of feeling to his narration. I'd assume that the emotion suppression causes that disjointedness. Another funny difference is how Ainz takes everything so seriously. Either he's better at perceiving power, or just more intimidated by it. That does seem to fit him.

Tanya, in contrast, has a very cohesive style of planning and accounting for different factors, plus the typical obsession with Being X. It fits what I understand of her quite well. She's not intimidated, and works efficiently with what she has.

I love the way Kazuma thinks in tropes, and the greed, irreverance and randiness totally fit his character. Great opportunity to show a different perspective on Galen's appearance, that was definitely a highlight. The disconnect between how Kazuma thinks people think of him, and how they actually do, is also some delicious dramatic irony.

Poor Subaru has just walked in and everyone has already judged him.

Blog Entries
    Oooh, more Isekai Quartet!
    Yeah - it was either this or more "Saga of Ilya the Evil," and this is just more fun (and sadly, more coherent).

The different voices of each character are quite interesting. I haven't read any of the relevant LNs, so I don't actually have a good picture of what the internal monologues of any of these characters are like, but they seem fitting.
    It's been a while in all cases for me, save KonoSuba - I didn't like the directions that either Re:Zero or Overlord took, and Tanya is one of those series I find works better as an anime - but I think I got it reasonably right . . .

Ainz, in particular, has a very... scattered sort of feeling to his narration. I'd assume that the emotion suppression causes that disjointedness.
    Yes - especially when it needs to be that frequent.

Another funny difference is how Ainz takes everything so seriously. Either he's better at perceiving power, or just more intimidated by it. That does seem to fit him.
    Both, strangely enough.

Tanya, in contrast, has a very cohesive style of planning and accounting for different factors, plus the typical obsession with Being X. It fits what I understand of her quite well. She's not intimidated, and works efficiently with what she has.
    Tanya's major problem is that her plans never quite go to spec, when dealing with other people; on paper, though, they're usually fairly well thought out.

I love the way Kazuma thinks in tropes, and the greed, irreverance and randiness totally fit his character. Great opportunity to show a different perspective on Galen's appearance, that was definitely a highlight. The disconnect between how Kazuma thinks people think of him, and how they actually do, is also some delicious dramatic irony.
    I hoped you'd like it. And let's face it - looking at Galen, without knowing anything about him, Kazuma's not exactly wrong . . . Which is not to say that I'm not looking forward to having Kazuma introduce himself (and probably hit on Takara) - in fact, I'm having trouble deciding exactly how badly this goes . . .

Poor Subaru has just walked in and everyone has already judged him.
    Story of the kid's life, really.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Both, strangely enough.
    Makes sense. He seems to have better magic perception AND has a lot more traumatic experience getting bullied by stronger people. It feels to me like there's a parallel between how Ainz takes threats very seriously and how Demiurge treats Ainz like a profound genius. Not that they have the same or even related causes, but they're both (sorta) overestimating in a thematically similar way.
    Tanya's major problem is that her plans never quite go to spec, when dealing with other people; on paper, though, they're usually fairly well thought out.
    Yeah, that extremely ambitious/arrogant self-talk has a certain flavor to it, it's very convincing, but then she... actually talks to people, and it comes out as awkwardly forceful, and she doubles down a lot.
    I hoped you'd like it. And let's face it - looking at Galen, without knowing anything about him, Kazuma's not exactly wrong . . . Which is not to say that I'm not looking forward to having Kazuma introduce himself (and probably hit on Takara) - in fact, I'm having trouble deciding exactly how badly this goes . . .
    For some reason I was having trouble picking the right word to describe exactly what is being done there... it's a sort of self-deprecation, but it's not exactly lampshading? Either way, it works well. Having a character who is genre savvy poke fun at your SI for being excessively edgy is just a lot of fun. Also, the idea of Galen and Megumin having a chuuni standoff is hilarious. If anything, Galen is too dark and edgy to participate, he'd just stare grimly and say little.