Page 96 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4686919495969798101 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2049

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Girl Meets Trinity, Part 2

Writer's Notes: And because my week has been absolutely miserable, and I needed something light, continuing . . .

Law Firm of Eliot, Brown & Montgomery
    London, England
    June 18, 2017

“I do appreciate your coming in on a Sunday, Ms. Matthews,” said Alastair Wexford-Smythe, who’d introduced himself as her nearest subordinate in the branch Topanga had found herself running. “Particularly as you are, I imagine, barely moved-in, and with children, no less.”

Topanga registered the subtle dig at her gender and traditional family role and counted to five in her head—it might not have been intentional, after all. It might even have been genuinely meant . . . Or it could’ve been simply sour grapes over her being appointed over him, as opposed to actual chauvinism. It was just the first day (technically, not even that—she didn’t start until Monday), and there was no point in making a scene just yet.

. . . Besides, if she gave him enough rope, he would hang himself.

“Work never really stops, in my experience,” she answered aloud. “Besides, justice is too often slow in coming to those who need it as it is—why give it further obstacles?”

“An excellent attitude,” Wexford-Smythe said approvingly. “I can see why the senior partners appointed you.”

“That, and my record,” Topanga said, grinning—and if it deliberately called to mind her reputation as a killer shark among litigators, well . . .

“Are you all right, Wexford-Smythe?” she asked mildly (and inwardly thanking the book of British etiquette she had listened to on the flight over). “You’re sweating.

“It’s all the sunlight,” he said diffidently. “Raises the temperature in here.”

“I’ll see about having maintenance look into the thermostat, then,” Topanga said casually.

“Ah!” Wexford-Smythe said suddenly. “There goes someone you’ll want to know—pardon me a moment!”

As he dashed out of the room, Topanga allowed herself to smile, briefly. It was nice to know even “across the pond,” as they said, she still had the magic touch . . .

Wexford-Smythe returned with an even taller man in tow, in a suit of steel-gray with understated red pinstripes which Topanga would bet cost a large chunk of her annual salary, and matched the hues of his eyes and hair, respectively. There was a distinctly Asian slant to his eyes, which made his colouration even more striking, to say nothing of his height and build—but his expression seemed friendly enough, for all that.

“Mister Shirou Einzbern, please be known to Missus Topanga Matthews, the new head of Eliot, Brown and Montgomery’s British operations,” Wexford-Smythe said formally. “Ma’am, this is Shirou Einzbern, a Crown investigator who is not averse, shall we say, to working with other agencies, in cases where the Crown either cannot or will not pursue them . . .?”

“That . . . Doesn’t sound legal,” Topanga said carefully.

“Let me see if I can set your mind at ease,” the man said—and the resonance of his voice made her think that he’d do very well as a radio personality or reading phone books to people. “In those cases where justice cannot be obtained through a criminal trial, for whatever reason, but at least some satisfaction can be gained through a civil one, I am discreetly tasked by my employers to ‘grease the wheels,’ as it were.”

He looked at her firmly. “If I bring you a case, it’s because we figure you’re the best chance we have. And if you’re not getting the level of cooperation you should be, for example—especially on a case I bring you—you call me.” He shrugged. “I won’t break the law for you, but occasionally there are things I can find, or do, that can help you. And as long as you’re trying to get justice, you’ll have my help.”

Topanga was a litigator, by training. Not every lawsuit was big, or even one she personally approved of—but she took the job to make a difference, to help people. And it sounded like whoever was in charge of the government department Mister Einzbern actually worked for wanted that, too. At the very least, she believed that he did.

“I look forward to working with you, Mister Einzbern,” she said, extending a hand. “I hope we both find it rewarding.”

He smiled, and shook it, the movement of taking it revealing the gold glint on his left hand.

“If nothing else,” Wexford-Smythe noted dryly, “you’ve already gotten a house out of this collaboration.”

Topanga blinked. “Excuse me?”

Einzbern looked mildly embarrassed. “Well, I heard they were bringing in a junior partner with a family, so I made a recommendation, and . . .”

“We did our due diligence, of course,” Wexford-Smythe assured her. “There are some minor issues with the reliability of the utilities in that area, but as far as statistics go, it’s the safest neighbourhood in all of London. Zero street crime reports, hardly so much as a noise complaint in the last twenty years. Just the thing, we thought, for a busy couple with young children. And leasing the property itself cost the firm a pittance, all things considered.”

Einzbern shrugged. “My wife and I know the property owners—and land rental isn’t their primary income source.”

“The contract was very generous,” Wexford-Smythe agreed. “Almost ridiculously so.”

“My wife can be very persuasive.”

Wexford-Smythe coughed, going red in the face. “Indeed.

“In any case,” Shirou said, “as I understand it, you have the option to buy the house outright if you want to—not the firm, by the way, you. If not, they’ll handle maintenance issues, and that kind of thing. You just need to inform them of any problems.”

“All right,” Topanga allowed, with the confidence of someone who spent the last decade-and-a-half living in a Manhattan apartment building. “And those people are whom and where . . .?

12 Grimmauld Place
    London, England
    June 18, 2017

“Oh,” came the response as she opened the door—surprised and a little off-guard, caught by the unexpected.

Takara, on the other hand, was not surprised that they were surprised—after all, they’d met Hermione, not her . . . Though admittedly, she hadn’t expected to see them visiting the very next day, either.

Still, putting on her very best hostess expression. “How can I help you, Mister—?”

“Cory Matthews,” the man, barely taller than she, said automatically. “And these are Riley and Auggie.”

“Hello!” the girl nearly barked, visibly nervous.

“Hi!” the curly-haired little boy said. “Is the doggie here?”

“I’m sorry,” Matthews half-spluttered. “We just moved in next door, you see, and there was a young woman yesterday who—”

He’d talked long enough for the owner of four suddenly-racing paws to reach the door, and Takara just snagged the wolfhound’s collar in time to prevent him from charging into their guests.

Down, Ollie,” she said firmly. “My apologies—he’s friendly, but quite excitable.”

“I know the feeling,” Matthews said earnestly, glancing down to where he restrained his son in a nearly mirrored pose.

The similarity was enough to make her smile (they even made identical whines!), and Takara stepped back, bringing Ollie with her—and unseen by his family, the youngest Matthews’ eyes widened a bit at that.

Takara showed no outward reaction, but noted that the boy was very perceptive, regardless of his age. Most people assumed that Ollie was well-trained—which, admittedly, he was—or too docile to want to hurt her, even by accident (which he definitely was), but almost none ever noted how easily she manhandled a dog that weighed as much as she did and considered how much strength that actually implied.

“Please, come in,” she offered, before turning to Ollie. “Sit.” When he did, she followed up with “Stay,” and rubbed his ears. “Good boy.

Ollie whined, licking her fingers even as he stared at the new people in the house, tail thumping.

Mister Matthews glanced down at his son. “I don’t suppose that’ll work on you, will it?”

“Maybe?” Auggie offered.

“Now, depending on why you’re here,” Takara said, shaking off the sense of some unseen laugh track accompanying that exchange, “I can offer to take you to the parlour for tea and discussion, direct you to Elise, or—”

“I’m here for him,” the boy said boldly, pointing to Ollie.

“I wouldn’t mind seeing Elise,” the girl said shyly. “. . . But if there’s one around, then a cat is fine, too.” She paused, tilting her head in confusion. “For some reason, I feel dirty for saying that . . .”

Takara agreed, though she couldn’t quite pinpoint why, either—a bit of thought had her suspecting it had something to do with the Matthews’ being “a bit meta,” as Galen had put it, though she was unsure as to how.

“And I’ll take the tea and discussion, if that’s all right,” Mister Matthews said.

She clapped her hands softly. “All right, then. If you’ll wait here a few moments, Messrs. Matthews, I will take Miss Matthews to see my daughter, before we have tea on the veranda, watching you”—she looked down at Auggie—“and Ollie run around the backyard.”

“Oh—you’re Elise’s mother?” Mister Matthews said. “I thought . . .”

“You don’t see the resemblance?” Takara said archly.

It did irk her, somewhat, that her daughter didn’t show much in the way of Japanese traits, taking more after her father—but the hue of her hair, and especially her eyes, was all Takara . . . As were the signs that she was growing into quite a beauty, according to Galen, with equal parts pride and chagrin.

“Well, I . . .” Mister Matthews sighed. “I’m just going to stop talking, now.”

“Well, that will put a damper on the ‘conversation’ aspect of things,” Takara said dryly. “This way, please, Miss Matthews—the rest of you, I’ll be back for.”

“I’m sorry about my dad,” the girl confessed, once they were alone. “He means well.”

“I’m sure,” Takara said gently. “I note that you weren’t surprised.”

“Elise said that Ms. Granger wasn’t her ‘Mum’ when I complimented her on how pretty she was—when I thought that Ms. Granger was her, I mean,” she added in a quick near-babble, “when I thought she was you . . .But Elise said her Mum had much prettier hair, and the most beautiful eyes in the world.”

The Japanese witch felt a spot of warmth bloom in her chest.

“She’s a good girl,” Takara said aloud. “And naturally, you’ll have to disagree with her—every mother is the most beautiful, in their daughter’s eyes.”

The girl—who was nearly as tall as she was—nodded solemnly. “But Elise isn’t wrong, either—your eyes are very beautiful, Missus . . .?”

“Salvatore, Miss Matthews,” Takara replied, belatedly realising that she actually had forgotten to introduce myself. “My name is Takara Salvatore, and you are a very good girl, too.”

The girl smiled shyly. “Thank you, Missus Salvatore.”

“Polite, as well,” Takara said approvingly, smiling back. “And for such kind words and good manners . . .Tell me—Riley, was it . . .? How do you feel about chocolate chunk cookies?”

Between Elise’s compliments and this, she decided, two such good girls deserved her breaking open her stash of Honeydukes’ really good chocolate . . .

1993 Jacobs St., “Topanga’s”
    Greenwich Village, New York City
    July 7, 2017

Shawn Hunter had worn many proverbial hats in his lifetime. Kid from a broken home, teen rebel, orphan, best friend, brother, boyfriend, roving travelogue writer . . . “Husband” was a new one. So was “father”—even newer, really, because he’d honestly never considered it—but having lived with a not-great example of one, and later with none at all, he was determined to do better for Maya.

And so, he made the move from travel writing to a more local publication—local, in this case, necessitating a physical move from Philadelphia to New York. He didn’t regret it, much; Katy and Maya’s lives were here, and he’d chosen and wanted to share them. And Maya needed to be here, with the rest of her friends—having to give up Riley had been more than enough already . . .

Thank God Cory and Topanga had been willing to sell them their apartment. As painful as the memories undoubtedly were for Maya now that the Matthews family wasn’t there, it was still the place she most identified with “home”; and she could keep The Bay Window (capitals intended) exactly as Riley had left it, instead of being forced to watch from the outside as strangers tore it apart. The fact that “Topanga’s” was in the same building made the commute easier on Katy, too, now that she all but owned it instead of just being employed there—but they both agreed that Maya was the priority . . .

(Shawn occasionally wondered how Cory had managed all this “father” stuff for the last 14-plus years; even with his dad as an example of the right way to do it, and Topanga’s help, it was impressive that he’d managed to cope with all these feelings and situations.)

Still, as new and often confusing as all this domesticity was to him, Shawn found some bright spots to the whole situation (aside from Katy and Maya, that was). One of them was that he could stroll down the steps to “Topanga’s” and find a quiet corner table to write and people-watch while he waited for Katy to finish her shift, having passed off the late shift to other employees—there were some perks to being the boss, after all.

And one of the perks of being the boss’s husband was that the previously mentioned corner table had a “Reserved” sign on it, and a cup of coffee with one of his favourite pastries waiting when he walked in the door, along with trading smiles with his bride as he settled in—pausing briefly as thunder unexpectedly rumbled, but not hearing any more, or seeing rain on the windows.

Shrugging, Shawn thought that if it was something newsworthy—a car crash or explosion—he’d find out later, dismissing all further thought of it.

“Topanga’s” was known as a student hangout, but at this hour, most of them were at home or headed home for dinner. A more adult crowd tended to come in, instead: regulars who either, didn’t feel like cooking or couldn’t, a few who wanted treats to go with the meals they had planned, and passers-through who needed a pick-me-up on their way to somewhere else. It was the last type that Shawn enjoyed watching most, trying to figure out their stories—and as the newest stranger walked in the door, he figured this one would be a good one.

The guy was tall, about a head or so more than Shawn, and a lot broader. Some of that might’ve been the coat, a dark-gray leather duster that looked really out of place in early July (seriously, how was the guy not sweltering in that thing?), but until or unless he took it off, there was no way to know. And it was the coat’s presence, as much as anything else, that set Shawn on edge. It was an expensive-looking piece, sure, but it was unnecessary at this time of year, unless you were looking to conceal a shotgun or something—and while nothing bad had ever happened to his friends here, this was New York . . .

So, Shawn watched the big man in the dangerous-looking leather coat carefully, noting details as he went.

He was slumping where he stood as though bone-weary, for a start. He moved like it, too: slow and almost staggering with a deliberate caution that might’ve tempted Shawn to label him as “drunk”—God knew he had enough experience with that—but he didn’t smell anything that would’ve proven it. Fair skin and dark blue eyes that swept the interior once, before settling on the cashier counter. His hair was brown, with grey highlights that couldn’t have been anything but natural; most men dyed the grey away, after all, and even those that might’ve added a touch of silver to look distinguished wouldn’t have been so uniform in how they did it, or done the neatly trimmed mustache and beard, as well. For all that, though, his face was really not lined enough to match the colouring, making Shawn circle back to “dye job,” regardless.

The stranger reached the counter, and Shawn braced himself, ready to try and tackle the guy if he did pull a gun on Katy—

“Would it be possible to get a cocoa—sorry, hot chocolate, please?” the stranger asked. “And”—a quick scan of the trays to the side followed—“Oooh, is that gingerbread I smell?”

Shawn blinked. Somebody that big should not sound like Cory did when presented with a plate of tater tots. The voice was quieter than he’d expected, too, if just as deep as he’d imagined. And there was an accent to it that caught his ear . . .

Over the years, the writer had done a lot of travelling and spent a lot of downtime watching TV in motels between destinations. The English accent was easy enough to pick out, with how often public television liked to air British programs, but it was just a sprinkling; the core accent reminded him of something else he couldn’t quite place. Shawn watched the man smile at Katy as he ordered basically all the gingerbread scones, and said “thank you,” when it clicked: people he’d met up near Niagara Falls once had talked like that, down to the polite manners . . .

While Katy went to go box up his order, the stranger laid down bills. When his wife came back, she gathered up the cash—and stopped dead when he told her to keep the change.

“I’ve had a long trip,” he said, “and I’m going to sit for a bit before moving on. Besides, if this all tastes as good as it smells, it’s well worth it.”

Canadian, that was it. The guy had to be.

He wandered over to a stool at the other end of the counter with his drink and his plate balanced atop the box of packed gingerbread scones, settling himself in. Katy busied herself with the register for a moment, before wandering over to Shawn with a carafe to refresh his coffee.

“Generous guy,” she muttered. “A twenty-five-dollar tip for thirty-five bucks’ worth of food? I wish everybody paid that well.”

Shawn smiled and remarked, “It could be that you’re just that charming, Missus Hunter.”

Her eyes twinkled impishly, even as she drawled, “It appears you’re not so bad yourself, Mister Hunter . . .”

They shared a promise for later in the form of a brief kiss, and Shawn went back to people-watching. The stranger was making quiet, appreciative sounds as he ate his order, one hand reaching into his coat to withdraw—

Shawn tensed again.

A deck of cards—which he then proceeded to shuffle, one-handed.

He was pretty good to the writer’s admittedly inexpert eye. Shawn had known a few people in high school who pulled card hustles, and had been known to dabble himself, periodically; it was an easy way to scam people for cash, sometimes. It was also an odd habit for a guy who acted so polite and was built like a linebacker . . .

Cory had described the core of Shawn, once, as “reckless spontaneity”—that was his official excuse for getting up and going to talk to the guy.

“You’re pretty good at that,” he offered as an opening remark.

“Not as good as my wife,” the bigger man replied, “but it’s helped keep me nimble enough to at least keep up with her, over the years.” He set the cards down and sipped his hot chocolate. “What can I do for you, Mister—?”

“Shawn Hunter,” he introduced himself, offering a hand. “And honestly, I’m just curious—I pride myself on being able to figure people out, but you . . . You’re a puzzler.”

“Galen Salvatore,” the big man replied back. “And how so, Mister Hunter?”

Shawn flinched involuntarily—something in the way Salvatore said that brought memories of Mister Feeny to the surface, and he wanted to instinctively look for ways to duck the oncoming detention . . .

“I don’t know,” the writer admitted. “But you’re not a regular face around here, you don’t look like the usual tourist, and a guy built like you, in that outfit, doesn’t tend to be so polite . . . Or come around here in the first place.”

“The coat adds twenty pounds,” Salvatore said dryly. “And I’m in town as a favour for a friend—since this place was frequently mentioned, I thought I’d check it out.” He shrugged. “Thus far, it lives up to its reputation—good gingerbread anything is a treat, and these are divine.

He beamed, and Shawn smiled at the compliment to Katy’s work—before the rest of what Salvatore said settled in his head. The writer’s eyes narrowed, as he put that statement together with the accent in Salvatore’s voice and asked a question, one he thought he already knew the answer to.

“. . . Would that friend be Cory Matthews, by any chance?”

Additional Writer's Notes: Shirou's job is, of course, something of a cover to justify his actual government work (though which government, I leave to your preferences) - but I thought it appropriate for a kid who wanted to be a lawyer . . . And yes, Ilya set some of this up as a private joke, once she realised who Topanga was (to be fair, the name is memorable).

. . . Sadly, I have yet to work in the Halloween scene that keeps bothering me . . . Maybe next time?
    Last edited by Kieran; December 3rd, 2021 at 07:34 PM.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    This is quite nice. It's very slice-of-life, and they've definitely earned some of that. I do really like that we have one focused on each of the Trinity, while Hermione was represented in the previous snippet. The character descriptions really emphasize how each has grown over the years.

I was initially thinking I was in Grail Works context and was very confused what Shirou was doing "undercover", which was pretty silly. The description made it a bit more obvious. We don't really get much of his perspective, compared to Takara's, but he's in more of a supporting role in this snippet. The implication about exactly who Topanga is renting from is extra-emphasized by that scene transition, which very much has that "sitcom, laugh track" feel.

Really enjoyed Takara's segment. Auggie's perceptiveness is a nice touch, the balance of strength and elegance that it emphasizes is very fitting for Takara.
    But if there’s one around, then a cat is fine, too.
    :glares:

Then we switch back to a third-person perspective on Galen, presumably... yep, at the same time as Riley and Maya meeting up. Shawn's perspective is definitely distinct, he's extremely perceptive. "Writer" seems to give you an opportunity to go heavier on descriptions, and it's a treat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    This is quite nice. It's very slice-of-life, and they've definitely earned some of that. I do really like that we have one focused on each of the Trinity, while Hermione was represented in the previous snippet. The character descriptions really emphasize how each has grown over the years.
    That was my hope - though I suspect you've missed one very interesting detail . . .

I was initially thinking I was in Grail Works context and was very confused what Shirou was doing "undercover", which was pretty silly. The description made it a bit more obvious. We don't really get much of his perspective, compared to Takara's, but he's in more of a supporting role in this snippet. The implication about exactly who Topanga is renting from is extra-emphasized by that scene transition, which very much has that "sitcom, laugh track" feel.
    Thank you, that's what I was going for.

Really enjoyed Takara's segment. Auggie's perceptiveness is a nice touch, the balance of strength and elegance that it emphasizes is very fitting for Takara.
    *Nods* She ended up more like the lady her mother wanted to be than she'd have preferred as a teenager (and she can absolutely act the part when required), but no one within any sense thinks of her as a pushover. The current generation remembers her absolutely slaughtering a dragon when she was fourteen, after all . . .

And Auggie has a knack for picking up on things other people miss, it seems - which gives untold numbers of shippers hope with his observation that his sister and Maya will get married, some day.

:glares:
    I'm sorry, but I could not help myself - and given how often the Meets World franchise breaks the fourth wall (or at least folds, spindles and mutilates it), it seemed like the kind of thing to do . . .

Then we switch back to a third-person perspective on Galen, presumably... yep, at the same time as Riley and Maya meeting up. Shawn's perspective is definitely distinct, he's extremely perceptive.
    Shawn always was the "street smart" one of the original cast - much as Maya is to her generation - and if exposure to Cory, Topanga and the lighter side softened the cynicism that came with it, he apparently parlayed those skills into at least a moderately successful career. Given the number of professional bloggers nowadays, I have to assume that means he's got talent.

"Writer" seems to give you an opportunity to go heavier on descriptions, and it's a treat.
    It certainly makes my preferred writing style easier to justify, yes - and again, thank you.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

That was my hope - though I suspect you've missed one very interesting detail . . .
    Oh great, let's see. There were a few things I didn't specifically note because they're clear and I didn't have much to say about them, so now I'll have to check again.

There's some off-screen Illya presence where she was presumably... persuasive, to Wexford-Smythe, that implies this is more planned in-universe than it appeared to be in the first snippet. That seems like it fits the criteria for "interesting detail I didn't explicitly note", but you explicitly mentioned that was the case in the author's note. I suppose I could try and speculate what sort of private joke it is for Illya, but since she has Galen's memories, virtually any sort of light-hearted crossover probably qualifies as a joke to her.

Blog Entries

Girl Meets Trinity, Part 3

Continuing . . .

12 Grimmauld Place
    London, England
    June 18, 2017

As they ascended into the upper levels of the house (which, Riley realised, seemed to be a lot bigger than it had looked from the outside), she took in her surroundings. The hallway was a bit dark, with a deep green paint on the upper half of the staircase and wood panelling on the lower, and thick gray carpets on the stairs themselves. There were lights fixed into the walls that looked like those old-timey ones from movies—gaslights, that was it (though Riley was sure they were just made to look that way).

The overall effect was kind of like walking through a haunted house from an old movie, and Riley was starting to wonder, uneasily, if they did have the right house, after all . . .

“It’s a bit spooky, isn’t it?” Missus Salvatore said suddenly.

Riley jumped. “I’m sorry!”

Because obviously she must have said at least some of those thoughts out loud, and that was a terribly rude thing to say (even if it was true), and she felt terrible about it and—

The older woman turned to look at her, eyebrow raised in that way Riley thought only her mother could pull off. “‘Sorry?’ About what?

“Um . . .” Put on the spot, Riley found herself flustered. “About insulting your house . . .?”

Missus Salvatore chuckled. “I’m the one who said it was spooky, kid—and it is. It’s an old house, with a not-so-nice history. We’ve made a start on changing that reputation, but with a historical building, you’re only allowed to change so much with regards to the structure itself.”

“Oh.” Riley, being a native New Yorker, was more than familiar with the concept.

“While you’re here, you might find a few dark, gloomy touches, or hear strange noises from odd places,” the older woman said, before smiling and saying in a reassuring tone, “Don’t pay them any attention, all right? Nothing here will hurt you, even if it seems strange or scary—you’re an invited guest, after all.”

“. . . Thank you?” Riley said, more than a little confused.

“Besides,” Missus Salvatore continued, “it gets cheerier the closer we get to the nursery level, anyways. I expect you’d like those rooms better.”

“Yuh-huh,” Riley nodded vaguely, not sure what else to say.

It did get brighter in colour as they went, though, the deep jade green paling in hue to emerald, and dark wood lightening to gold (and Riley was really thankful that Maya was an artist and had helped teach her the names and differences of all these colour shades). Soon, they’d reached an upper hallway, where she could hear faint piano music coming from a room at the end.

“The arts studio it is, then,” Missus Salvatore said decisively.

“Arts studio?” Riley repeated, never having heard those words used quite that way before—maybe it was a British thing?

“Well, there’s the piano, of course,” the older woman said, “but there’s also a place for painting or sculpting, if they want to play with the modelling clay—and a small stage for dance or theatre practice. So, we call it the ‘arts studio,’ since it can cover so many of them.”

“All that in one room . . .?” Riley was surprised—it sounded like the house had one of her old classrooms stuffed in it.

“Well, not all at once, of course,” Missus Salvatore said with a chuckle. “That would be silly—and better-suited to the ground levels. But we manage.”

Riley nodded, then realised something.

“Wait—you said, ‘if they want to play,’ Does Elise have brothers or sist—?”

A shadow darted towards her, cutting Riley’s question off as her attention shifted. It slowed just long enough to brush against Missus Salvatore’s leg before leaping at Riley’s face—!

And halting in mid-flight with a yowl as the older woman snagged the cat out of the air.

“Silly cat, you could’ve both been hurt,” she chided, even as she drew the furry bundle of cuddliness closer. “You startled her—and she doesn’t know how to tell when you want a hug yet. She might not even know how to hold a cat . . .”

A peevish meow was the response, and Riley was so bemused by the sight of a cat seeming to understand its scolding that she didn’t quite register the literal pitter-patter of little feet from whence the cat had come. Not until a tiny gasp caught Riley’s attention, and she turned to see an equally tiny girl—with much bigger hair or eyes than a body that small should have, it seemed—staring at her in surprise.

The frizz-headed girl had the cutest, most innocent eyes, staring at her pure wonder as she whispered, “Snow White . . .

Then she squealed.

Riley winced, hands rising to cover her ears—

“Dawn, indoor voice, please,” boomed a man’s voice. At a slightly lower volume, it added, “Also, manners—is this how you say hello to a princess?”

The girl’s near-shriek turned into another wide-eyed gasp, this one of utter horror, and Riley joined her as the voice’s owner arrived.

The newcomer had the broad shoulders of Janitor Harley from middle school, but a lot less fat and more muscle, kind of like how Riley pictured Lucas when they were grown up, or maybe the guy who played Thor in those movies . . . But with dark hair instead of blond—with more than a little gray in it, matching his t-shirt. Between all the gray, how big he was, and the rumble of his voice, she had the impression that somebody had shaped a thundercloud into a human form, and he loomed dangerously over the tiny child—

Who rushed up against him when he knelt down, peeking briefly back at Riley before trying to bury herself in his arms . . .?

Like she’s trying to hide from me, Riley realised suddenly. Aww—she’s shy . . .

As melty as she felt inside watching the little cutie, Riley had no trouble focussing when the big man spoke, even if his voice was a lot softer.

“Just say you’re sorry, and be polite, sweetie,” he said gently. “If she is Snow White, then of course she’ll be nice enough to forgive you—and if she’s not, maybe she’ll be nice enough to do it anyway. It won’t hurt to try . . . And do you really want to miss a chance to maybe meet Snow White?

She shook her head against his chest—Riley could see the frizzy hair floofing from side-to-side.

“Just go say hello, or that you’re sorry, all right? Auntie Takara’s right there with her, and I’ll be right behind you, Dawn.” Pulling away, he lifted her chin to look her in the eyes. “It will be okay—I promise.

Riley half-expected lightning to come with those words—it seemed like one of those dramatic moments in movies.

The little girl nodded tremulously and turned back towards them. Out of the corner of her eye, Riley could see Missus Salvatore making encouraging gestures at her (without throwing off the cat nestled against her neck, either!), and she pretended not to notice so as not scare the little girl off. And it seemed like a genuine worry, as with an air of bracing herself, the tiny thing marched over to them, and made a painstakingly effort at a perfect curtsey.

“’M sorry, Your Highness,” she mumbled, not looking up from the floor. “I didn’t mean to be loud . . .

“That’s OK,” Riley said earnestly, smiling and crouching down so she’d hopefully be a little less scary. “I’ve been known to go ‘YAY' a lot, too . . . But as much as I’ve always wanted to be a princess, I’m sorry, I’m not Snow White—”

The little girl looked up at that, visibly disappointed—and stepped back in surprise at finding them at a more even height.

Riley smiled wider, trying to look more welcoming as she introduced herself. “My name is actually Riley—what’s yours, you little cutie-pie?”

“. . . Dawn,” she said shyly, back to looking at the ground almost as often as she did Riley.

“Dawn—that’s pretty,” Riley said honestly. Taking in the girl’s choice in clothing colours—princess pink—and the misidentification as Snow White, Riley added, “Did you know that the French word for ‘dawn’ is ‘aurora?’ Just like—”

“Sleeping Beauty!” the girl interrupted excitedly, visibly perking up and nodding vigorously, sending her floofy hair flying again. “Uh-huh—I saw her castle . . .!

Riley blinked. “You did?”

The man chuckled. “When it comes to Disneyland, Paris is closer than Orlando or Anaheim—though maybe one day . . .”

Riley smiled. “That sounds like fun.”

“It would be,” he agreed. “You would be Miss Matthews, I take it?”

“Yes, sir,” she said politely. “And I know Missus Salvatore, and Dawn . . .”

“And Hermione and Elise,” he added. “Mirai, Crookshanks and Ollie, too, so I suppose you might as well collect the full set.” He mimicked Dawn’s earlier posture, doing a full formal bow and bringing her hand up to his face—though he stopped short of actually kissing it, and was quick to let her go.

“I am Galen Salvatore, milady,” he pronounced dramatically. “Lord and master of this house—enter freely, and of your own will, and leave something of the happiness you bring!”

“. . . That’s from Dracula,” Riley said, bemused—not one of her favourite books, but she hadn’t earned her grade-point-average by skipping the assigned reading (though her bunny nightlight had been closer to her bed during it, and a while after).

“A well-read young lady, in addition to well-mannered—how delightful,” he answered, smiling . . . Well, kind of. It seemed like more of a smirk, to her eyes, since his mouth was closed—but he did seem amused. Kind of like Maya, a lot of the time.

“Then again,” he added thoughtfully, “it’s not like that’s an uncommon combination around here.”

Missus Salvatore chuckled. “No, it’s not.

The piano music came to an end—or maybe it had ended earlier, and they only just noticed.

“It sounds like the lesson’s over,” Missus Salvatore said. “Galen, can you take Riley in to see Elise?” At a soft mew, she turned to Riley and asked, “Do you know how to hold a cat?”

She sort of did, but not well, as it turned out; Missus Salvatore had to correct her grip, and Riley didn’t expect Mirai to meld against her quite as easily as it happened—still, eventually the cat was comfortably purring against her cheek like the world’s best stuffed animal, and Missus Salvatore had turned to Dawn, who was looking at Riley with undisguised jealousy.

“I’m going to bake some chocolate chunk cookies,” she announced. “Do you want to help, Dawn?”

Immediately, all pouts vanished in favour of sunny smiles. “Yes, please!”

Missus Salvatore smiled, and stage-whispered, “Mirai’s a very clever kitty—she knew you would, and that she’s not allowed in the kitchen at cooking time, so she went to Miss Riley so you could.

Dawn’s eyes went wide. “Thank you, Mirai!”

The cat meowed again in seeming acknowledgement and Riley looked between the cat and the little girl, bemused, as the latter followed along with Missus Salvatore back downstairs—presumably, to the kitchen.

Riley blinked and turned to the cat in her arms. “She was just making that up to spare Dawn’s feelings, right? You’re not actually some kind of undercover kitty genius?” She stared at Mirai intently. “Are you secretly plotting world domination . . .?”

“She already dominates everything she wants to,” came the answering rumble, and Riley jumped—causing the cat to yowl in alarm—having momentarily forgotten that Mister Salvatore was still there (somehow).

“My apologies, Miss Matthews—and Mirai, of course,” he said, more quietly.” She felt the cat’s head turn to look at him at hearing her name, and he said, almost breathily, “Hi, precious . . .

Riley blinked, surprised again as she felt Mirai melt in her arms with just those two words—like it was a reflex.

“She must really trust you,” she murmured without thinking.

“Mirai knows good people when she meets them, Miss Matthews,” Mister Salvatore said, smiling. “And as much as she loves making new friends and getting attention, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen her take to anyone as quickly as she has to you—which, to my mind, makes you very good people.”

Riley could feel the blush spreading across her face.

“Thank you,” she said quietly. “I try.”

“And you must succeed very well,” he said gently but firmly, like it was a fact of the universe.

Her parents had mentioned that he was a teacher, and Riley now believed that he was a good one—because he reminded her of her dad.

“Now,” he said sharply, straightening up. “Enough lollygagging! You’re not here to listen to an old man ramble, you’re here to see a new friend—so off we go!”

He turned and began marching forward as though on some epic quest. Riley, who could literally see the door she wanted from where she was standing, giggled to herself.

“He’s very silly, isn’t he?” she asked Mirai quietly. “It makes him less scary . . . And I bet that’s the point, isn’t it?”

Mirai looked at her with those slitted-smiling eyes of a contented cat, and her purr briefly increased in volume. It might have been a coincidence, of course; but then again, they’d said Mirai was very clever, and Riley preferred a world where such things could happen, anyway, so she chose to believe that it wasn’t.

This was a strange new place, far from the world she knew; why not believe in the possibility that wondrous things could happen—well, more than she already did, that was . . .?

12 Grimmauld Place
    London, England
    July 10, 2017

Contrary to his youth, Galen didn’t spend much time unconscious anymore—but the sensation of dragging himself out of the depths of insensateness was still (literally) painfully familiar. It took a moment to push past the pain, re-order his mind, and check his memories with it—when he did, that he’d ended up that way was in no sense a surprise.

“Is everybody in one piece?” the wizard asked, his voice more of a groan than he’d have liked. Considering that he meant the question more literally than usual, though, it was understandable.

“. . . I really hate it when you start talking before opening your eyes like that,” Hermione’s voice answered waspishly. “Not only does it scare the life out of me, but you also come off as such a smug know-it-all . . .” She sighed.

“The girls are being checked over by Takara now,” she continued. “Neither of them looked like they’d been splinched, but we’ll know for sure once the temperature starts dropping—she is not happy about this.”

A finger stabbed into his chest, forcing Galen’s eyes open by reflex, to stare into amber-brown orbs that smouldered furiously.

Neither am I,” she snapped. “HOW could you let this happen?!”

Galen slumped. “She was at least three stories above us, upwind, and I didn’t hear anything until she jumped off the fire escape.”

At which point, Disapparating would’ve left her to at least break bones when she hit the pavement—at worst, the impact would’ve killed her outright. As it was, he’d barely had time to realise what was happening and switch destinations, lest the protections on Grimmauld reduce her to a greasy scorch mark on arrival. Beyond that, he’d just had to hold on as hard as he could, and pray that he could power their way through . . .

Apparently, he could—though it was not an experience he wanted to have again.

Hermione, on the other hand, was proving her title as “the brightest witch of the age” once more by latching onto an inferred detail.

“She saw you? Through the Repelling Charms?”

Because by now, he knew operational security. Especially when using magic in a country whose intelligence agency would really like to talk to him, and in a city that was noted for its camera coverage. Naturally, he’d had Mundane-Repelling Charms up, among others, before attempting to Side-Along with Riley—and it hadn’t stopped her in the slightest . . .

Galen risked nodding, before deciding that had been a terrible mistake, and answered, “Yeah—so you can understand how that caught me off-guard in the moment.”

The anger drained out of Hermione’s face, being quickly replaced by resignation. She was no more a stranger to having to make literal split-second decisions with lives on the line than he was—nor was she unfamiliar with situations where there were no truly good choices.

“. . . You’re forgiven,” she said at last, with another sigh. She turned slightly, looking at the wall where, presumably, the girls and Takara were presently on the edge of their property line—it was where he’d been aiming for, after all.

“Maya isn’t a witch,” she said, as a statement more than a question.

“Not without seriously derailing the plot of Girl Meets World,” Galen agreed, “if not derailing it completely, since Riley is twelve when the series starts, and Maya’s older than she is.”

Hermione frowned, brow furrowing in thought. “A Squib would be magical enough to see through those enchantments, I suppose—but her background is entirely mundane, isn’t it . . .?”

Presumably,” Galen agreed. “On the other hand, her runaway father’s given name is apparently ‘Kermit’, and her mother’s family name—going back at least three generations—is ‘Clutterbucket,’ which is as reasonable a candidate for a pureblood family name as I’ve ever heard . . . And they’re from Ireland, apparently.”

While no longer linked through blood, Hermione still knew him well enough to follow his thought processes. She once again proved that by raising an eyebrow, and commenting, “. . . She does have a number of superficial similarities to Luna in the looks department, doesn’t she . . .?”

“Superficial” being the key word, of course: Maya was an inch shorter, with darker blonde hair and eyes that were a purer blue. Still, you could at least imagine a relation between the two, if you looked at them side-by-side. Knowing of both Maya’s heritage and the Irish lilt to Luna’s voice wouldn’t hurt the comparison, either.

“It might be nothing,” Galen admitted. “There’s certainly no guarantee she’s related to Luna, even distantly—or any other magical, for that matter—though the way things tend to work around the Matthews and their associates . . .”

“And us,” Hermione countered, which he grudgingly acknowledged with a nod. The laws of narrative causality didn’t provably run this universe—but they seemed to hold a lot more sway than would otherwise seem reasonable, at times, even if it didn’t quite reach the Dickensian levels of coincidence that the Harry Potter canon had.

“Regardless,” Galen continued mock-casually, “it would be interesting to know how or why a seemingly whole-blooded mundane possesses at least Squib-like levels of awareness when it comes to magic—wouldn’t it?”

“Oh, Croaker would sign off on her in a heartbeat, if studying her family tree doesn’t turn up anything,” Hermione said dryly, knowing full well that he already knew that. “Likewise, I highly doubt that Whitehall will be inclined to be uncooperative”—the security service people who actually knew about magic would love to potentially have more defences against it or independent access to it, after all—“though Moody will probably raise all hell about it.”

Which was, unofficially, his job, as the Minister’s private adviser on security—and to be fair, he’d have a point. Maya, if she was what he thought, might prove to be the Holy Grail (and better than the Fuyuki one) on cracking at least the genetic aspects of magical potential. Being able to positively identify such was a security risk; being able to perhaps turn it on or off, even more so. But if they could do what they really wanted to, and figure out how to give magic to humanity wholesale . . . Well, it would still be dangerous, Galen admitted—unbelievably so. But in terms of their society’s outlook, it would make hiding absolutely pointless. It was a different way of integrating—faster, and far more volatile.

But it might ultimately be the only way to truly bridge the divide . . .

“But at least,” Galen murmured, “it would give Maya an excuse to visit—though we’d still have to work out explaining magic to her family . . .”

Hermione gave him her patented “What. An. Idiot look.

“Remind me,” she said caustically. “We’ve been using Fidelius Charms and similar bindings for how long, now? Really, that will be the easy part of all this.”

Galen blinked, confused. “And the hard part . . .?”

A sudden crackling caught his attention, and the wizard looked in the direction of the sound to see that a window had inexplicably frosted over.

“Keeping Takara from murdering the girls via hypothermia,” Hermione supplied.

Ah . . . We’d best get on that, then.”

Writer's Notes: Professional Mediwitch's Rules of Conduct, #1: Ensure that accident victims are unharmed. If not, commence treatment. Rule #2: If accident victims are unharmed, commence extremely graphic and highly-descriptive lecture on what lucky idiots they are . . .
    Last edited by Kieran; December 13th, 2021 at 01:20 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Continues to be sweet and fluffy, though not without a couple of ties back to the setting.

Galen had a last-second unexpected extra passenger. Considering what I remember of how you described Apparition visualization, I can definitely see how that would be troublesome.

Dawn has "Auntie Takara". Wait a minute. Wait.
    Alexander is 24? right now, and has Tohno Gland, so that's a possibility, though it seems a bit faint.
    Hermione still looks college age, so I'd assume she's still a vampire (she could move around in daylight, so meeting the Matthews's in the morning means little), though I don't see explicit confirmation or denial either way.
    Shirou's are mostly grown up by now, I'd think.
    Galen could refer to both Hermione and Takara as "Auntie" to avoid favouritism, but since Elise does refer to Takara as "Mum", that's unlikely. Adopted, or some sort of pseudo-surrogate thing?

Blog Entries
    Continues to be sweet and fluffy, though not without a couple of ties back to the setting.
    Such as, for example, a subtle reminder to any house-elves listening that invited guests are to be tolerated, magical or not.

Galen had a last-second unexpected extra passenger. Considering what I remember of how you described Apparition visualization, I can definitely see how that would be troublesome.
    Yes - especially over that distance. Takara is incandescently furious, because by all rights they should've literally wound up spread across half of the Atlantic . . . And I don't see Splinching as a process a mundane would survive.

Dawn has "Auntie Takara". Wait a minute. Wait.
    Ah, the penny drops . . .

Alexander is 24? right now, and has Tohno Gland, so that's a possibility, though it seems a bit faint.
    And not one I'd honestly considered, though it's a neat one - thanks for reminding me.

Hermione still looks college age, so I'd assume she's still a vampire (she could move around in daylight, so meeting the Matthews's in the morning means little), though I don't see explicit confirmation or denial either way.
    My internal assumption is that witches and wizards age at half-speed once they hit 17; hence why Dumbledore (and to a lesser extent, Hagrid) can be so active or young-looking in their 60s/100s. It also helps explain why witches and wizards in general shrug off things like 20-foot falls off a broomstick (Neville in Year 1), and so on.

I've doubled that effect for the Scarlet Seven, because of the process they used to become Animagi - to magic, they count as "two beings." It's partly why they've always been so dangerous; they're effectively four times stronger, faster (and so on) than they look, and given some of their base stats, as it were . . .

But in any case, they all look younger (in some cases, much younger) than they actually are - Galen is something of an exception, as a decade and a half of the strains of lycanthropy at least appear to have weathered him (though makeup and Charms can reduce that).

Shirou's are mostly grown up by now, I'd think.
    Depending on when Ilya finally stopped, yes.

Galen could refer to both Hermione and Takara as "Auntie" to avoid favouritism, but since Elise does refer to Takara as "Mum", that's unlikely. Adopted, or some sort of pseudo-surrogate thing?
    No, she's Hermione's - who chose her name quite deliberately.

It took over a decade, but they beat it. The cure (whatever it ends up being) is still in the "Now, how do we dial it back to not kill virtually anyone else who uses it?" stage, much as the cure to lycanthropy was, for a while - but they found it.

. . . Much to the dentists' daughter's dismay, Dawn loves chocolate, like her father and her auntie. She also likes to read, like both her parents - but prefers storybooks to anything educational. Fairy tales, as you've seen, are a particular favourite; she also likes to dance, and she and Auntie Takara take ballet lessons together, much as Hermione teaches Elise to play piano.
    Last edited by Kieran; December 14th, 2021 at 12:00 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    My internal assumption is that witches and wizards age at half-speed once they hit 17; hence why Dumbledore (and to a lesser extent, Hagrid) can be so active or young-looking in their 60s/100s. It also helps explain why witches and wizards in general shrug off things like 20-foot falls off a broomstick (Neville in Year 1), and so on.
    I'm familiar with that, but... ah, college age was a hint alone. Eternally youthful, she'd be high-school, but 17 + (19/4) ~= 22, so that lines up. I noticed there wasn't anything truly explicit either way where I might have expected it, like after picking up Mirai in the daytime.
    No, she's Hermione's - who chose her name quite deliberately.
    Not sure if general "day" symbolism or specifically Twilight reference. I put neither past you.

It took over a decade, but they beat it. The cure (whatever it ends up being) is still in the "Now, how do we dial it back to not kill virtually anyone else who uses it?" stage, much as the cure to lycanthropy was, for a while - but they found it.
    Definitely fits the lighter and fluffier tone. Not pointing it out explicitly seems fitting, since at this point, it's not necessarily something they'd remark on at this point, it just... blends in. Also, extra fun to read between the lines.

. . . Much to the dentists' daughter's dismay, Dawn loves chocolate, like her father and her auntie. She also likes to read, like both her parents - but prefers storybooks to anything educational. Fairy tales, as you've seen, are a particular favourite; she also likes to dance, and she and Auntie Takara take ballet lessons together, much as Hermione teaches Elise to play piano.
    Undoubtedly Galen has some lovely dramatic renditions of those fairy tales, so no wonder. I can definitely picture it. Little Red Riding Hood must be fun.

Blog Entries
    I'm familiar with that, but... ah, college age was a hint alone. Eternally youthful, she'd be high-school, but 17 + (19/4) ~= 22, so that lines up. I noticed there wasn't anything truly explicit either way where I might have expected it, like after picking up Mirai in the daytime.
    I thought you'd at least question the coffee, myself . . .

And Hermione's actually a little younger than that, biologically; she basically corresponds to Emma Watson in the Deathly Hallows films (when she was 19) - but being who she is, she can easily pass for 25 . . . Between Hermione's having been frozen for a decade, and Takara's natural genetics, Topanga is desperately going to want to know the moisturizer they use.

Not sure if general "day" symbolism or specifically Twilight reference. I put neither past you.
    Fair, and thank you. But it's the first, officially.

Definitely fits the lighter and fluffier tone. Not pointing it out explicitly seems fitting, since at this point, it's not necessarily something they'd remark on at this point, it just... blends in. Also, extra fun to read between the lines.
    There's meant to be a lot of that in this, I think - at least until Riley and her family actually discover the secret . . .

Undoubtedly Galen has some lovely dramatic renditions of those fairy tales, so no wonder. I can definitely picture it. Little Red Riding Hood must be fun.
    Beauty and the Beast, as well - and not simply for the obvious (Dawn is convinced her mum is Belle, and Daddy just agrees every time she says it). but because every magical effect in the movie can be recreated with the right Charms. Nor is that limited to princess movies - the dishes are often done this way, with appropriate musical accompaniment.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I thought you'd at least question the coffee, myself . . .
    I inherently give Hermione a lot of credit for blending in well, but I'm probably also missing things like that because I've read a number of fics with Adult!Hermione, so "Hermione does an adult thing" raises little suspicion, and it's very easy to justify her having things at hand. I could retroactively say "Oh, she would have had in in her Extendable handbag under Freezing Charm for a rainy day, because Galen, and brought it out because the Matthews mentioned their machine was broken", but I wasn't really considering it very deeply. There was enough plausibility there that it wasn't obviously weird.
    Beauty and the Beast, as well - and not simply for the obvious (Dawn is convinced her mum is Belle, and Daddy just agrees every time she says it). but because every magical effect in the movie can be recreated with the right Charms. Nor is that limited to princess movies - the dishes are often done this way, with appropriate musical accompaniment.
    That is definitely another good choice. Even more fitting, actually.

For some reason I was half-expecting The Sorcerer's Apprentice segment from Fantasia there. It's always what I think of when I think of fantastic automation.

Blog Entries
    I inherently give Hermione a lot of credit for blending in well, but I'm probably also missing things like that because I've read a number of fics with Adult!Hermione, so "Hermione does an adult thing" raises little suspicion, and it's very easy to justify her having things at hand. I could retroactively say "Oh, she would have had in in her Extendable handbag under Freezing Charm for a rainy day, because Galen, and brought it out because the Matthews mentioned their machine was broken", but I wasn't really considering it very deeply. There was enough plausibility there that it wasn't obviously weird.
    A fair assessment. I was banking that you'd seize on the fact that vampire Hermione really didn't like being active in the daylight if she didn't have to, and had no need for coffee (and wouldn't taste it unless Galen happened to be drinking it, too) - but your reasoning is as solid as mine.

That is definitely another good choice. Even more fitting, actually.

For some reason I was half-expecting The Sorcerer's Apprentice segment from Fantasia there. It's always what I think of when I think of fantastic automation.
    That's fair, but I grew up with exactly four Disney movies in the house (not counting the Chip 'n' Dale, Christmas and Pluto shorts collections), and that was one of them, so it's my go-to.

(Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp and |Robin Hood were the others, if you were curious.)

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

This might be funny . . .?

11 Grimmauld Place
    Borough of Islington, London
    June 12, 1998

In his youth, the old man had literally grown up in a warzone. He had fought his way out of that hell and spent the better part of his prime travelling to hotspots all over the globe. He had seen squalor, and beauty, and just about every variation in-between that humans could build, or tear down, for themselves. He had even, for a while, lived in paradise, or as close to it as he felt he could achieve; certainly, closer than he felt he deserved. The townhouse he currently occupied, on the other hand, was much closer to that warzone: the neighbourhood it was in was dirty, ill-maintained, and the building had originally had more than a few broken windows—as did its neighbour . . .

But as he heard the careful tread of his wife behind him and turned to see her warming smile—and the pictures of their family on the table beside her—he reflected that it wasn’t so far from that paradise, either.

“The guest bedrooms are airing out,” she informed him, “and the linens are in the wash. Did you want lunch yet, or was there something else you wanted to do first?”

“If you’re hungry, I’ll cook,” he said dryly, not quite resisting the urge to smile at the pout that drew from her; even with the relative lack of lines on her face, blushing like that still made her look more like the naďve young beauty she’d been when they’d first met.

Oh, she stooped a few centimetres now, and moved more carefully, sometimes needing a cane; a lifetime of using and abusing her body had taken their toll, after all. But she was still graceful, if slower and not as effortlessly flexible, and her eyes were no less bright. Still, only the gray of her hair truly gave her age away—and he was no different. His hair had thinned and silvered (she said it made him look “distinguished”), he required glasses to see finer details, and his hands weren’t quite so dexterous; and of course, there was the ulcer. . .

Compared to some of their contemporaries, however (too many, the old man often thought), time had been quite kind to them both. Given the kinds of scrapes they’d gotten into in their youths, the pair of them had remarkably few health problems for a couple in their sixties and retained more of their faculties than one might assume for their “advanced” ages.

And there was nothing wrong with his mind, which is why the old man stared out the window at the hint of movement.

“What is it?” his wife asked, tensing subtly even as her voice dropped into a slightly deeper register at the question.

“We appear to be getting new neighbours,” he said noncommittally. “There’s a moving van next door.”

She blinked. “Oh? That’s . . . Good?”

“That depends on the neighbours,” he said darkly.

She stilled in place. “You think they might be criminals? Drug dealers? Human traffickers? PAEDOPHILES?!

With every option listed, her voice dropped into a lower, deadlier register.

“Those kinds of people don’t tend to use moving vans, dear,” he pointed out dryly. “Not most of the time, at least—but” he stressed, “I’m not willing to take chances, not with the twins due to visit tomorrow. No, I think what’s called for here is reconnaissance; we should go and introduce ourselves, get a read on our new neighbours.”

“That sounds marvellous,” she agreed. “Oh—we should bring refreshments!”

His wife had learned a little of “cookery,” as the British called it, over the years. Still, her repertoire of dishes that wouldn’t send someone to the emergency room—who wasn’t her brother, anyway—was still vastly outweighed by the number she could make which would be considered a violation of the Geneva Conventions if served. As such, he replied almost immediately.

“I’ll whip something up,” he agreed. “If they prove to be a threat, then you can make them a full meal.”

She pouted again, and this time he did smile—which only made her pout harder.

Then the moment passed, and he returned his focus to the people outside. He didn’t know that they were dangerous, but long experience had taught him that it was better to approach cautiously than not. After all, he only knew one thing about them for certain: if they were a threat to his grandchildren, they were dead.

They might be the better part of forty years out of the game, but neither Twilight nor Thorn Princess, respectively infamous as the most feared spy and assassin on Earth, were entirely out of moves to play . . .

Writer's Notes: This week has been absolute misery, so my writing time has been limited, and I decided something light was called for - this seemed to fit. (And wow, is this actually my first snippet this YEAR? Where does the time go . . .?)

For those of you unfamiliar with Spy x Family, I highly recommend it (in fact, why are you here when you can be checking it out?!) - and for both newcomers and those familiar with it, who undoubtedly have questions . . .

As another HP/Spy x Family crossover pointed out, the current calendar year in the latter is unknown; the only hard date given is in Yor's employee file, with a year of "63" - but no indication whether that's meant to indicate her birth year, or the year of her employment (which, given her age, would have her born in 1936). I've gone with the second option because the "'60s spy genre" aesthetic of the series makes it make sense. If I did have her born in 1963, however, that would make Spy x Family take place in 1990.

If so, then this cross would still be well past its (presumed) canon conclusion, but they'd be a little closer to how their portrayed in their home series - maybe that would be preferable . . .?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I wasn't even thinking to look in this thread.

I, like most people this season, have seen Spy x Family, though I definitely didn't see this coming. The cooking should have tipped me off.
    The intriguing thing about this concept are the parallels; the Seven leads a double life intrinsically, as wizards, but also have a very similar job post-Wizarding War, depending on continuity. You get maximum value out of that spy-on-spy paranoia, but also great potential for some mentorship. Galen can probably learn a lot from what Twilight does.

Blog Entries
    I wasn't even thinking to look in this thread.
    As I noted, I'm surprised this is my first Trinity post all year . . . But as I noted elsewhere, I couldn't really cross the series with the Works - whereas it might mesh well with Trinity, given a bit of adjustment (mostly names).

I, like most people this season, have seen Spy x Family, though I definitely didn't see this coming. The cooking should have tipped me off.
    Oh, good - I had you guessing right 'til the end.

The intriguing thing about this concept are the parallels; the Seven leads a double life intrinsically, as wizards, but also have a very similar job post-Wizarding War, depending on continuity. You get maximum value out of that spy-on-spy paranoia, but also great potential for some mentorship. Galen can probably learn a lot from what Twilight does.
    Which is why I think it would work so well - the trick is in writing an older Lloyd (the language is English, and the land is English, so therefore I will use the proper spelling) and Yor (as it's short for "Yolanda," no adjustment needed) while still making them recognisably themselves.

. . . Well, that and the fact that Agent Starlight (if I use her that way) will almost certainly give the game away immediately - a group of people whose minds she can't read will absolutely raise alarm bells.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

A very happy birthday

12 Grimmauld Place
    London, England
    July 31, 2006

Takara Salvatore was, in the final analysis, no more a morning person than she’d been when she was Takara Aozaki; three years of operating as a Trainee Healer, plus almost four at full rank, with all the varied shifts she’d had to work, hadn’t changed that. Nevertheless, she’d accustomed herself (or maybe more accurately, resigned herself) to getting up early when required as far back as Hogwarts, and habit, as much as anything else, pulled her reluctantly from her soothing bed.

Well, she admitted, not too soothing—the distinct lack of her husband’s arms around her left her skin uncomfortably chilled—then again, that might have been the way she herself was pressed up against Hermione’s back . . .

Briefly kissing the nape of the vampire witch’s neck, Takara rose from the bed, rearranging the duvet with a flick of her wrist to cover Hermione’s nude form. She wouldn’t feel either effort in her current state, Takara knew, but she’d appreciate them, nonetheless, when she woke up.

Stretching flexibility back into her stiffened muscles, the Japanese witch catalogued sounds and scents drifting up from the lower floors. The former told her that the rice cooker was being used, and the latter indicated that coffee and omelets were in production, prompting an eager growl from her stomach and an addict’s ache from her drowsy mind. It was a heretical thought, for a Japanese woman in Britain, but it was nonetheless true—but she knew she needed at least one cup to kickstart her brain; tea was a secondary option, nowadays.

(She was admittedly unsure whether to blame the hospital hours or her spouses for her coffee addiction, and so tended to do both, depending on which was most convenient at the time. It had its uses for winning arguments.)

Throwing on a dressing-gown (or “housecoat,” as Galen insisting on calling it), she made her way downstairs silently. This wasn’t because of any actual effort on her part, mind you, it was simply the way she moved. There were jokes going around St. Mungo’s that her Healer’s uniform ought to include a bell for the cardiac health of both patients and staff, though what happened when she reached the kitchen would’ve been at least as startling.

You’re up early,” Galen remarked—not even giving her the courtesy of turning to look at her as he said it, instead focussing entirely on the rice cooker and its contents. “So much for breakfast in bed. . .

He sighed in disappointment that was probably only half-feigned, then shrugged before adding, “The coffee’s ready, but the food will be a minute or two, yet.”

“. . . You used the patient-monitoring charm on me, didn’t you?” she accused, not awake enough to recall its official name—it was how Healers were made aware of changes in their patients’ vitals, and one of the first she’d learned. Naturally, Hermione (and eventually Galen) had picked it up for its sheer utility.

“Either that, or Kreacher is capable of monitoring the omelet and your movements simultaneously,” he answered smoothly, causing her to scowl—because both answers were entirely possible, and he enjoyed stumping her like this. “Good morning, love—happy birthday.”

“It’d be happier if I had the full day off,” she grumbled. “Stupid departmental meetings . . .”

Realistically, she supposed, it was simply the price one paid for her position. Her actual training and seniority were fairly minor—even if she’d graduated Hogwarts on time, she’d only have been a full-fledged Healer for six years, and she’d only been practicing for most of five as it was—but due to her achievements (and yes, fighting Voldemort counted), she was counted as a department head. The Alchemy Room wasn’t the largest department of the hospital, but as it researched cures to magical maladies, it interacted with all the others, making it a fairly critical one all the same.

In Takara’s opinion, it was stupid to give her such a prestigious position with her relative youth (since she was as of today twenty-six), but the hospital director had been very clear in his reasoning. She’d pioneered surgical techniques that had cured patients who’d been in residence for nearly two decades, by combining mundane medical knowledge and techniques with accepted doctrine; and then she’d gone on to cure lycanthropy, a disease that had plagued human society for most of recorded history.

“Even before the war, we badly needed Healers,” Director Smethwyck had explained. “As it was, I’d have hired you with just Poppy Pomfrey or Horace Slughorn’s recommendations—and with your record, trotted you out for fundraisers. War heroes make good publicity, and we rely on charity, much of the time . . . With the recommendation of both of them, I had had high expectations for you—and you far exceeded them before you were even out of training. As it stands, we can’t afford to lose someone of your calibre to the Unspeakables, and the directorship will give you the authority to get access to what you need to run the experiments you want to. Your war record just helps me justify it to the board of governors—again, good publicity.” He’d shrugged. “You’ll get used to it.”

Takara supposed that was fair; she’d gotten used to lots of things, over the years.

And speaking of which . . .

“Has there been anything from—?”

She hesitated, not sure even now just how to describe it. “Home?” Home was here, with her husband and her wife. “My family?” Not specific enough; after all, part of her family was here, and the more distant branches—the Japanese Aozakis, and through them, the Einzberns—still spoke to her. Thanks to the careful use of the Fidelius Charm, they weren’t even aware why her parents and little brother weren’t talking to her anymore . . . Or weren’t allowed to, at least.

They all understood it. Mother was her father’s wife, and Alex’s mother, and they had an obligation to support her—especially since the Fidelius Charm kept her from rousing the greater world to it. But it didn’t mean it didn’t hurt . . . And not just her, or them; Galen had lived through something like this with his own extended family, and it infuriated him to see it replayed here, and the guilt cut Hermione deeply . . .

Which made every time they managed to sneak anything past her mother more precious to Takara than gold.

Galen’s expression closed off. “Not yet—but the day’s still young.”

She nodded in understanding: he didn’t want to get her hopes up too much, but didn’t want to kill them, either.

The scent of coffee wafted under Takara’s nostrils, startling her. She glanced down to see her usual mug, filled with steaming liquid at a perfect café au lait hue and smelling faintly sweet, which meant that it had been sugared—undoubtedly to her preferred taste.

“Thank you, Kreacher,” she murmured, picking up the cup and sipping.

It was perfect, as expected.

“. . . We can call Neville and cancel, if you want,” her husband offered quietly. “He’d understand.”

Given their shared birthday, arranging parties among their equally shared circle of friends had gone through a few different options. This year, a shared celebration at Longbottom Manor was in the cards—not as formal as the Christmas and New Year’s parties, but certainly a fairly large one.

Takara shook her head. “No, I’ve been looking forward to being able to dance with you in their ballroom—it’s the only thing that’ll keep me awake during the meeting.” She fixed her husband with a Look as she added, “Well, that, and trying to figure out what this mystery present you refuse to give me until then is, though.”

Annoyingly, he didn’t break, merely smirking as he began scooping out rice, even as a full traditional Japanese breakfast appeared on the dining room table before her—well, full once the bowl of rice was set in place—with the appropriate utensils.

“Thank you, Kreacher,” she repeated, inhaling deeply, “this looks and smells fantastic . . .” She selected a piece, and swept it into her chopsticks, and moaned when it hit her tongue.

“And it sounds as though it tastes just as good,” Galen finished. “Well done, Kreacher.”

Without her owl-sharpened eyes, Takara wouldn’t have spotted the old elf appear, bow, and disappear—as it was, even with them, the food very nearly completely distracted her.

“So that’s present one,” her husband said cheerfully. “And hopefully, it’ll see you through the trying day ahead.”

“. . . And how many are you planning on this year?” she said drily.

“Just the two, this time.”

“You must be really confident in this surprise present to not have a backup,” she observed.

His only answer was another smirk.

“. . . Damn it.”

A pleasant feeling swept through Hermione as she beheld the gathering. Seeing all five Longbottoms happy together—seven, if one included the yet-to-be-born ones—never failed to make her smile. And, admittedly, not just for themselves. Seeing Frank and Alice Longbottom awake and active was something they’d accomplished, working together, rather than stumbling upon the solution accidentally; and proof that they could do things considered impossible.

Something, she reflected, that was all the more important as Takara turned twenty-six . . .

It still wasn’t obvious—not yet. Their Animagus and magical natures let them age slower in general, after all. In addition to that, Luna was baby-faced, and Takara had genes that naturally made her look young, and the strain of Galen’s lycanthropy, along with his memories, had always made him seem older. Hermione herself could act with a maturity that made her seem older than she looked, and always had—but she was still (and would eternally be) seventeen, and eventually, that difference would show—

(Hands on her shoulders—one from each of them.)

Hermione stiffened and willed herself not to look in either Galen or Takara’s direction, even as she wanted to shake her head. Neither of them had her blood in their system, and they still managed to pull things like that, with sheer Legilimency alone . . .

That, too, was what convinced her that they would beat this—that if anyone could, it would be them.

Another hand on her arm—a physical one, this time—drew her out of her thoughts.

“Takara is about to open her ‘big’ present,” Luna murmured. “You don’t want to miss this.

A genuine smile stretched its way across Hermione’s face. “No, I do not—thank you, Luna.”

The blonde witch shrugged. “What are friends for?” Then a pixie grin, like she used to wear back in school, flashed across her face. “Come on—we need to find a good view . . .”

By the time they’d settled, Takara had finished experimentally squeezing the box, commenting that it was smaller than she’d expected, for all the fuss, and giving it a gentle shake. She’d read the card saying that it was to her from Galen and Hermione (“with help from your aunts and cousin”) and given up on getting any more information out of it unless she actually opened the package. Her unwrapping of it wasn’t as painstaking as Hermione’s usually was, but remarkably delicate, and surprising, given the speed at which she managed it.

Her initial expression, on opening the box, was bafflement. This was, Hermione thought, perfectly understandable—the box contained a thick envelope, with Japanese postmarks. The only hint was in the return address.

Toei . . .?” Takara murmured, bewildered.

The confusion was radiating from her as she opened the envelope—Hermione didn’t even need the bloodlink to feel it—and read the contents. She did, however, feel it when Takara finished puzzling her way through the letter.

“This is—?!”

Hermione, of course, knew precisely what the letter said; if the response hadn’t been positive, they’d have had to scramble for a replacement present, after all—and magic allowed them to reseal things as though they’d never been touched.

. . . How?” her wife demanded at last, looking between Hermione and Galen for an answer. “Honestly—HOW?!

“Well,” Hermione murmured, “I may have been more deliberate in testing out our video camera than I made it seem at the time—and between Shirou’s connections in the gaming industry and your aunts’ overall connections, getting things to the right people wasn’t overly difficult . . . But it was Galen’s idea to start with,” she added quickly, eager to give credit where it was due.

Takara whirled on him.

“I caught a broadcast a while back of the Americanised version,” he said with a shrug, “and it reminded me of things you said you missed about Japan. I figured if anyone could do it, it’d be you—it wouldn’t hurt to try . . . I’m only sorry it’s for one of the one-off movies, and not of one of the series y—”

“SORRY!” Takara shrieked, starting to tremble as she stared at him in genuinely wide-eyed disbelief. “I get to be in Kamen Rider, and you’re SORRY?!

Very few of the group had the ability to track her movements at that point—for most, she was there one instant, briefly blurring before both she and Galen were gone.

“. . . Well,” Hermione said, struggling not to blush as her spouses began broadcasting high levels of emotion, very strongly, “Thank you for a lovely evening, all, but it seems I’d best be going.”

A number of the guests, with typical British reserve, were doing their best to ignore what was obviously a “blazing row” about to erupt; a few looked at her with pity, suspecting what she’d likely be going home to. . .

Those among them more familiar with Takara, on the other hand, were smirking.

Neville was kind enough to walk her out, privately admitting, “I don’t quite understand the gift—what is this ‘Masked Rider’ exactly . . .?”

“A superhero television series—her favourite, as a child,” Hermione said. “Almost unknown outside Japan, and intended largely for boys—but anyone could be inside the hero’s full-body costume, so why couldn’t she? Beating up the bad guys for justice with martial arts and flashy powers . . .”

Neville grinned. “Sounds like her sort of thing—Galen’s too, for that matter.”

“At least to the point where it’s something only he would think of, as a gift,” Hermione agreed.

“I hope she enjoys it, then—and the rest of the evening,” he said as he escorted her beyond the boundaries of the manor’s defences. “You too, Hermione.”

This time, she did blush, and the big wizard laughed.

Neville, Hermione decided, had taken far too much after Shirou—or perhaps Ginny was to blame . . .

“Kreacher?” the vampire witch called, struggling to keep a plaintive note out of her voice. “If you would—please . . .?

En route to Japan
    May 31, 2021

“. . . And that was how you were conceived,” Galen finished. “Or why, anyway.”

“Dad, GROSS!” Elise complained—though she couldn’t really be too loud, or retreat as much as she wanted to, given that they were on a passenger plane. “All I asked was, ‘Why is Mom going to Japan to shoot a TV episode . . .?’

“Because it’s the franchise’s fiftieth anniversary, and they love pulling in guest stars from older entries to commemorate stuff like this,”

“Why couldn’t you have just said THAT . . .?!

Writer's Notes: Barely in time - but I made it.
    Last edited by Kieran; August 8th, 2022 at 06:50 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Very fluffy. I definitely didn't see that gift coming. It certainly tracks with Takara's interests, and not too much time commitment, as a movie.

I feel like I'm forgetting some detail about what Shiki/Ciel/Alex are doing, especially 7-8 years after the Battle of Hogwarts. I'm guessing... retirement? I didn't find anything in the epilogue, since that's after this time frame, and the last Takara birthday snippet I could find didn't have anything in continuity with this.

Blog Entries
    Very fluffy.
    Thank you - and nice to see you back! I was starting to worry.

I definitely didn't see that gift coming. It certainly tracks with Takara's interests, and not too much time commitment, as a movie.
    *Nods* I occasionally have to remind myself that she's a tomboy at heart, I spend so much time putting her in fancy dress, or being elegant . . . But this absolutely would have been her speed, growing up. Granted, she'd be more familiar with later series, having been (originally) born in 2001, but it's still Kamen Rider; what childhood fan wouldn't find that cool?

I feel like I'm forgetting some detail about what Shiki/Ciel/Alex are doing, especially 7-8 years after the Battle of Hogwarts. I'm guessing... retirement? I didn't find anything in the epilogue, since that's after this time frame, and the last Takara birthday snippet I could find didn't have anything in continuity with this.
    You may reasonably assume they're still working, since Ciel would only be about 50 (and biologically about 33) at this point. Alex is preparing to transfer from Mahoutokoro to Hogwarts in September, and Shiki . . . Well, we can never quite be sure what he's doing, because it's typically classified - but he's caught between his wife and his daughter, which is never a fun place to be.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Thank you - and nice to see you back! I was starting to worry.
    I had been on a camping trip for over a week, returned and wasn't sure I had much to contribute over in the concurrent Grail Works question, so I kinda left it alone. I should probably get back to that. I'm rarely good at the abstract story idea questions, especially since I'm not familiar with Kamen Rider.
    *Nods* I occasionally have to remind myself that she's a tomboy at heart, I spend so much time putting her in fancy dress, or being elegant . . . But this absolutely would have been her speed, growing up. Granted, she'd be more familiar with later series, having been (originally) born in 2001, but it's still Kamen Rider; what childhood fan wouldn't find that cool?
    I do love the balance of tomboy and femininity Takara gets.
    You may reasonably assume they're still working, since Ciel would only be about 50 (and biologically about 33) at this point. Alex is preparing to transfer from Mahoutokoro to Hogwarts in September, and Shiki . . . Well, we can never quite be sure what he's doing, because it's typically classified - but he's caught between his wife and his daughter, which is never a fun place to be.
    Ah, makes sense. It seemed a bit thorough compared to their Hogwarts years, but certainly not out of the question.

Blog Entries
    I had been on a camping trip for over a week, returned and wasn't sure I had much to contribute over in the concurrent Grail Works question, so I kinda left it alone.
    Ahhh . . .

I should probably get back to that. I'm rarely good at the abstract story idea questions, especially since I'm not familiar with Kamen Rider.
    Mostly, I'm just trying to see if anything catches your interest, and might therefore be worth investigating further; as noted, I'm only really familiar with a handful of series directly, though wiki-diving has given me basics on a few more and some generic concepts. For example, in three of the four series I've come across? Don't get attached to the cute girl hanging around the protagonist.

(Really, that alone would be the kind of thing that Shirou would want to intervene for . . .)

I do love the balance of tomboy and femininity Takara gets.
    I try.

Ah, makes sense. It seemed a bit thorough compared to their Hogwarts years, but certainly not out of the question.
    True enough - I figure Shiki probably only has another 10 - 20 years of field work in him before he starts slowing down to a dangerous degree.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Shibuya, Tokyo
    May 31, 2021

Elise had been to Japan before, through family visits—in fact, Seiko and Uncle Sirius met them at the airport—but their ultimate destination was somewhere new to her. The Aozaki estate was very much a country one, far away from the crowding of Tokyo and other cities like it.

Tokyo, on the other hand, was the absolute opposite of “country,” being more like an even more crowded London; and according to what she’d looked up online, Shibuya had two of the busiest train stations in the world—so she didn’t protest that she didn’t need her hand held like a little kid as they walked around, as she otherwise might’ve. Honestly, the place was giving her claustrophobia—

“Why so gloomy, Little Sis?” Seiko chirped inquisitively, interrupting her thoughts. “We’re going to see them film a Kamen Rider episode! This will be awesome!

Elise glared at her cousin (who despite being six years older acted like she was closer to two, if not the same age) and reflexively growled, “Not your little sister.”

Seiko was kind of like Mum in that she looked like a Japanese doll painted with Caucasian colours—pale gold skin, grey, almond-shaped eyes, and black hair that showed deep red highlights under the right light. In fact, it had annoyed Elise fiercely when they were younger when people mistook her for Mum’s daughter—and Seiko, being the annoying cow she was, had proclaimed herself Elise’s “big sister” at every opportunity . . .

Seiko’s face settled into a smug smile. “That’s better—not so nervous now, are you?”

Elise blinked, realised she was right, and scowled. “Why are you so peppy?

Kamen Rider taping,” Seiko said, in the kind of reverent tone that Mum and Dawn reserved for Dad’s brownies with “Honeydukes icing” (and rightfully so, in Elise’s opinion). “Even better, a Kamen Rider episode with Garouhime—which means there’s no way the writers will pass up the opportunity . . .!

She was practically vibrating in place with excitement, her eyes distantly focussed on some kind of “glorious future” only she could see. Elise stared, then turned to the adults.

“. . . Can you translate that?” As an afterthought, she hastily added, “Please?”

Uncle Sirius chuckled. “How much do you actually know about what your mother did in the franchise, Elise?”

“She was in a movie, and occasionally gives interviews, or goes to Japan for fan conventions,” Elise said.

Not that she’d known they were fan conventions—when she was little, she’d thought they meant business meetings, and such, and thus, terribly boring. Having been to a couple of Doctor Who conventions since, maybe they weren’t—but she wasn’t a Kamen Rider fan, so it probably would’ve been, for her.

“Well, as my little otaku here has told me, several times over the years,” the older wizard said dryly, “that movie consistently ranks as both one of the ‘classic’ and ‘fan favourite’ pieces of media around the franchise. And keep in mind, Kamen Rider is fifty years old, now—they’re not exactly hard up for choice.”

It’s still younger than Doctor Who, she thought with a bit of satisfaction, before what he’d said really registered.

Why?” Elise asked. “I’ve seen some Japanese movies—they’re nowhere near the budget of Hollywood stuff. After this long, it’s got to look really dated—”

Blasphemy!” Seiko exploded. “How can you—YOU, of all people—not know this?!”

You didn’t, and she’s your cousin,” Sirius pointed out reasonably.

“Because you didn’t tell me!” Seiko shrieked. “You just said that since I liked Wizard so much, I should check out some of the older series . . .” She scowled at him, and accused, “And you took PICTURES of my face when I found out!”

Sirius grinned. “I may be too responsible to plan pranks anymore, but I won’t pass one up when you hand me the opportunity . . .

Ignoring the father-daughter drama developing beside her, Elise turned and asked plaintively, “Dad . . .?”

“That particular movie is renowned among Kamen Rider fans for having possibly the best fight scenes in franchise history,” he answered, sounding amused. “Certainly, it’s considered the best in terms of purely martial arts fighting—no special effects involved.”

“Except for whatever they did to let Hell Garou move like that,” Seiko chimed in. “That was the most articulate a suit actor’s ever been—it’s a shame it must’ve been too expensive to use again. But yeah—they had a forensics expert analyse the film, and there were no camera tricks used; Garouhime really was that fast, that agile, and that good with a sword. She took on a Kamen Rider and her cursed half at the same time, in a pure martial arts fight, and basically only lost because the plot said she had to; fan consensus is that in a real fight, she’d have kicked their asses without even breaking a nail, never mind a sweat. . .

She looked at the rest of them with an uncharacteristically serious expression. “If Garouhime shows up—even if Takara’s actually playing another character—and doesn’t end up fighting somebody, there will be riots in the streets.”

“. . . This is why you got into martial arts, isn’t it?” Elise asked, but it wasn’t really a question.

Seiko shot her cousin a “what-an-idiot” look. “Duh. I was eleven, a Kamen Rider fan, and had just discovered not only the most badass princess ever, but that she was my cousin—why would I not want to be able to be like her?”

She pulled out her phone. “Here—look.

The video was running almost from the moment it was in Elise’s hand: a seven-minute fragment whose thumbnail picture was obviously Mum, though with white hair, and she shot Seiko a look—she had it saved? And cued up?

“It never fails to cheer me up,” her cousin said serenely. “Now watch . . .!

Elise knew how to defend herself when unarmed—her parents had insisted—but she’d never been interested in martial arts at her parents’ level. Still, she’d watched them spar for basically her whole life, and this . . . Was actually more than Mum usually pushed anywhere outside their own home or a life-or-death situation. The white-haired woman onscreen dodged punches and kicks that, Elise was willing to bet, weren’t pulled in the slightest, using minimal movements. She twisted, flipped, and basically danced around her opponent—the titular Masked Rider, based on the poster in Mum’s sewing room—and lashed out with kicks that the hero seemed hard-pressed to block.

That, Elise was sure, was staged; she could see Mum’s legs make the kick, albeit as a blur, so she knew it was nowhere near full speed or force. Likewise, the paired blades she wielded were shining blurs, but still visible. It was impressive, but absolutely for show.

Then the white-haired woman pulled back and spoke in a voice as cold and soft as falling snow—and Elise shivered, because Mum only ever sounded like that when she was absolutely furious.

“It seems that finesse and skill is insufficient—perhaps
    power will be more effective,” she said in Japanese. “Feel the bite of my people’s curse!”

The transformation effect wasn’t anything special—but what she “transformed” into was: a massive, hulking beastman that towered over the Rider as much as the Rider had towered over her, and nearly twice as broad as the hero, rumbling like an earthquake . . .

“KAMEN RIDER . . .” the beast growled, in a mixed sound that overlaid her mother’s icy fury with a thunderous growl that sounded like it had been dredged from the deepest pit of Hell. DIE!

What followed was a fight that was far slower and less graceful, but still impressive in a technical sense. The beastman wielded the curved swords as a conjoined, crescent-shaped blade—and was much faster and nimbler than something that size should be. Again, the hero seemed to struggle mightily, but because this creature had the reach and speed to make dodging difficult rather than impossible, and the raw strength to both take and deliver vast amounts of punishment . . .

Seiko reached over and paused the video.

“And that’s just the first fight,” she said eagerly. “The final one is awesome—!

“And we’ll miss our train if we stand around for that long,” Dad pointed out casually, causing her cousin to freeze. “Since I recall that it’s something like twelve straight minu—’

No—I can’t miss this!” Seiko whined in protest, vibrating in place again as she almost launched herself into a run, but stopped at the last second. “This is going to be so COOL . . .!

Seriously, Elise asked herself, how is she the older one . . .?

“You do remember you can’t tell anyone, right?” Dad said seriously. “No photos, no livestreaming, no talking about it until the episode airs—her appearance is meant to be a total surprise, and the studio will NOT be happy if it leaks.” His voice dropped into a warning rumble not unlike thunder as he added, “And Takara will not be happy, either, since they were accommodating enough to let you in just because she asked.”

“I’ll be good,” Seiko mumbled quietly, turning quite pale.

Elise wasn’t surprised. Her cousin had very little experience with Dad when he was angry, and the shock of it was probably scary enough on its own, never mind the actual warning—Mum might not have the name anymore, but she was as terrifying as any other Aozaki woman when she was angry. For her part, Elise shrugged. It was neat to be going—she was curious to see how television differed from stage performances, and cinematography from photography, but she had no interest in spreading it around.

“How did she manage to convince them?” Uncle Sirius asked. “I mean, yeah—they wanted her for the publicity and nostalgia value; I get that. But letting foreign strangers onto a closed set isn’t something that’s usually done.

“This is her appearance fee,” Dad said. “She was willing to fly out at her own expense and do the job for no money—as long as a few of her family could watch.” He turned to Seiko. “Happy birthday, Seiko-chan.

“This is going to become another ‘family tradition,’ isn’t it . . .?” Uncle Sirius asked drily. “This is twice now, after all, and according to Mister Pratchett . . .”

Dad grinned. “For family who are fans of Kamen Rider, sure—why not?”

Elise, meanwhile, was watching her cousin—surprisingly, Seiko’s jaw actually had dropped. She’d thought that was just an expression . . .

“Best. Present. Ever,” the older witch whispered firmly. “This day cannot possibly get better.”

“Uh-oh,” Sirius said in mock worry. “I recognise that look . . .”

Elise glanced over at her uncle, then followed his eyes to see a smirk on her dad’s face that she recognised, too. Something was about to happen that he found terribly amusing—because he was prepared to accept that challenge.

“Actually, Seiko-chan,” Dad drawled, “if you don’t mind a spoiler regarding what you’re about to see—because I did read the script . . .”

Seiko snapped forward like Ollie when he’d caught a scent, raring to chase after it. “AND . . .?

“. . . Help me set up a bit of privacy, Sirius?” Dad asked casually. “I suspect her reaction will be loud.

Uncle Sirius looked about as confused as Elise felt but was faintly smirking, nonetheless—he did appreciate a good joke, after all—and did as he asked, moving them aside (out of camera sight, she realised), before casting spells to keep people from overhearing or paying attention to them.

Once the spellcasting motions were done with, Seiko was quivering exactly like Ollie—Elise fought down a giggle at the sight.

WELL?!” she demanded eagerly.

“Well, two things,” Dad said cheerfully. “First, the story’s a two-parter—and yes, you’ll get to see both . . .

Seiko nearly squealed in excitement, but visibly swallowed it to hang on to the thread of the conversation. “And second . . .?

Dad cleared his throat, and then—

Kamen Rider—die.

The growl from Hell erupted with no warning, much louder from right next to her than it had been through Seiko’s phone. Loud enough that it vibrated in her bones, carrying with it a terrible menace that made Elise shiver all over again. Even standing in an open street in sunny weather, knowing she was looking at her father, the tiny mammal part of her brain could feel the giant predator looming over her . . .

Hell Garou . . .” Seiko whispered, pale as a ghost but seemingly frozen. “That was—you were . . .? All those years fangirling over Takara—why didn’t you ever tell me . . .?” She stopped, and corrected herself, “No, why are you telling me now . . .?

That’s my girl,” Uncle Sirius whispered. “Almost got it—keep going . . .”

Seiko did freeze, suddenly, with such a perfect expression of shock that Elise had to pull out her own phone and snap pictures. The title wrote itself in her mind: “Seiko.EXE has encountered a problem and stopped working. Please reboot . . .”

The state persisted for long enough, in fact, that Elise was beginning to worry—before Seiko’s eyes bugged wider than she’d ever seen on anyone who wasn’t an Animagus, and she began chanting in a voice to rose higher and higher in volume abd tone, going whisper to squeal with every word spoken.

“OhmygodOhmygodOHMYGOD . . .! THERE’S GONNA BE A REMATCH!!

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette