Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3539398101102103
Results 2,041 to 2,049 of 2049

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Happy New Year!

A pretty cute scene; I can feel the smug. Still don't know exactly how it happened, but there were enough hints that it was related. We didn't see too much of Miranda in the later years of Trinity, so it's interesting to see what she's been doing.

I do somewhat wonder what the social conventions around travelling/providing travel to holidays should be when some people have the ability to instantaneously teleport and others have a multi-hour drive :P

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Happy New Year!
    To you, as well - and well, the cold waited to hit me until after the holiday, so maybe . . .?

(Then again, I've been mostly bedridden for the last four days, so . . . )

A pretty cute scene; I can feel the smug.
    Something that Hermione (and sisters) can do so well.

Still don't know exactly how it happened, but there were enough hints that it was related.
    I did consider writing it out this year - but again, if I did, there's no real incentive to go for a full story.

We didn't see too much of Miranda in the later years of Trinity, so it's interesting to see what she's been doing.
    That was my thinking. I disliked ignoring her, but there wasn't really a place to put her (or the Granger parents), given everything else that was going on.

I do somewhat wonder what the social conventions around travelling/providing travel to holidays should be when some people have the ability to instantaneously teleport and others have a multi-hour drive :P
    Well, it gets tricky, because the drive isn't as daunting to people whose home provinces would encompass most of the country - the Salvatores, therefore, shrug off "long" drives as not nearly as onerous as the others. Then again, multiple families have small children who react tend to react poorly to travel via Floo, Apparition, or worst of all, international Portkey . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Happy New Year!
    To you, as well.

. . . And well, the cold waited to hit me until after the holiday, so maybe . . .?

(Then again, I've been mostly bedridden for the last four days, so . . . )

A pretty cute scene; I can feel the smug.
    Something that Hermione (and sisters) can do so well.

Still don't know exactly how it happened, but there were enough hints that it was related.
    I did consider writing it out this year - but again, if I did, there's no real incentive to go for a full story.

We didn't see too much of Miranda in the later years of Trinity, so it's interesting to see what she's been doing.
    That was my thinking. I disliked ignoring her, but there wasn't really a place to put her (or the Granger parents), given everything else that was going on.

Well, it gets tricky, because the drive isn't as daunting to people whose home provinces would encompass most of the country - the Salvatores, therefore, shrug off "long" drives as not nearly as onerous as the others. Then again, multiple families have small children who react tend to react poorly to travel via Floo, Apparition, or worst of all, international Portkey . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Continuing . . .

[STARTING UP . . .]

*** [STARTING UP] ***

“Roxy, we need to run . . . C’mon—run!”

As her systems sprang to life, the reintroduction of cached memories sent a jolt through Roxanne Wolf.

. . . But not nearly as big a jolt as her video feed springing to life.

“I can see . . .she whispered tentatively, almost afraid to believe it. “. . . I CAN SEE!

Almost frantically, her eyes turned this way and that, before setting on a clearly reflective surface—and she very nearly wept with relief.

“I’m beautiful again . . .”

“In the eyes of those who love you, you always are,” said a voice, which she automatically identified.

“Dad . . .”

To Roxanne’s surprise, several new indicators flashed across her head’s-up display, tied to his voice:

EMOTIONAL STATE:

Tiredness: 50%
    Affection: 25%
    Trust: 23%
    Contentment: 2%

“How are you feeling, my proud beauty?”

Much better,” Roxanne answered, “but a bit confused—what are these new inputs?”

“An analysis subroutine that takes advantage of the advanced capabilities of your eyes and ears, combined with a comprehensive database, to read people’s emotional states,” he answered. “It’s not hard evidence, or completely foolproof, but it’ll let you have some ability to spot liars, potential violent outbursts or tantrums in general—abuse or kidnap victims, if they have a lot of fear that they’re trying not to show regarding the adults accompanying them, or general evasiveness or depression.”

His expression changed, and every emotion besides “Tiredness” vanished, replaced with “Anger” at a 20% value—and climbing five percent with every word that followed.

“It will also spot voice fakes like the one used to lure Cassie in.”

“Cassie . . .” Roxanne repeated, before that cached memory came up again, and she went stiff. “CASSIE! Is she all right, Dad?”

“Her grandmother checked her over,” he assured her, “and aside from being up far too late and frightened half to death, she should be fine—nothing a good night’s sleep and a lot of comfort won’t cure.”

Something in Roxanne relaxed; a feeling she identified, somewhat incongruously, as relief.

Incongruous, because she was supposed to be tough, and not think anything of weaklings or losers—but to be friendly and approachable to patrons, too. Especially children. It wasn’t always easy to reconcile the two directives in her mind, but Dad’s advice had helped, and Cassie was special—it was easier, with her.

Of course, now she knew why: Cassie was family . . .

“Can I see her?”

The old man smiled, saying, “I imagine she’ll be glad to see you, when she wakes up—and Hermione will doubtless feel better knowing you’re close by to protect her . . . But I want to walk you through the rest of your upgrades first, all right?”

“OK.” As long as it didn’t take too long . . .

“To begin with, I’ve black-boxed them,” he said. “You can know about and access them, and we will, of course, but I’m not trusting Fazbear Entertainment with anything, now.” An odd gleam was in his eyes. “Besides . . . A girl’s gotta have her secrets.”

Several messages flashed in Roxanne’s HUD at that statement.

[Password: Verified]

[Voiceprint: Verified]

[Facial Recogntion Scan: Verified]

[Retinal Scan: Verified]

[Unzipping files . . .]

Roxanne blinked at the wealth of notes and technical schematics that opened up. “This is . . .”

“A serious upgrade,” the old man said firmly. “Specially treated materials to reduce kinetic and temperature damage by a significant degree—and not incidentally, allow for superconductivity. Which is good, because your battery capacity is now increased by—”

“27200%,” Roxanne answered in a faintly stunned tone. “Which should be impossible . . .”

“Magic does ‘impossible’ very well,” Dad said dryly. “Not that they’ll know that—and it’s why your default setting is ‘efficiency mode,’ so you’ll operate like you have the same battery you’ve always had—because suddenly taking over forty-five minutes to recharge when you used to need ten seconds is a big giveaway. But the switch—and the power—will be there when you need it.”

And between the charge and the new durability and conductivity of her construction, Roxanne released, her processing and reaction times would be a lot faster, as well—which would also undoubtedly come as a surprise. . .

“Your firewalls have also been upgraded,” he said, “because I do not like what I saw in your maintenance logs, never mind what I found in your processor. If the rest of your friends have the same issues, it explains some of why I found them in the states I did.”

“. . . How are they?” she asked hesitantly.

Roxanne wasn’t exactly ‘friendly’ with most of them, but they were her bandmates . . .

The old man looked regretful, to her new subroutine’s perspective.

“The good news is that Eclipse seems to be more or less fully functional,” he began. “Bonnie’s body is mostly intact, but the damage to his vitals is such that I’m not sure there’s anything there to restore if I do manage it—and there wasn’t enough left of Monty to even try salvaging, even without the water damage . . .

“Meanwhile, the ‘Freddy’ that Cassie ran into was a prototype shell,” he continued, before adding thoughtfully, “I’m still not sure how it functioned without the endoskeleton’s head . . . And I’ve no idea where Freddy’s actual head got to.”

“And—and Chica?”

The two of them were like night and day—almost literally—but as the two “girls” of the band, they were often paired for that contrast in performances, or for merchandise. And if Chica was the only other one of the Glamrocks left . . .

“She needs a thorough cleaning,” Dad replied, and “Revulsion – 40%” popped up in her vision as he said it, “but I’m more worried about her mind.”

“Why?”

(Her tone was not fearful—Roxanne Wolf didn’t do fear!)

“Because I was seeing a horrifying number of errors regarding her eating—” the old man began.

“Because her stomach isn’t simply gone,” came a cold, faintly accented voice. “According to Hermione, it was never installed.

“Mom . . .?” Roxanne turned to look at the Japanese woman from whom, according to Dad, she’d inherited a lot of her personality—and froze as Dad went still at the edge of her vision, his knuckles cracking as his hands tightened into fists.

What.

Anger: 86%

“She says there’s no sign of anywhere it would’ve been broken off—no sign of the mounting points at all. Which means that she never had the containment unit or sensors she was supposed to get as part of fulfilling her ‘eating’ routine.”

“Which means that she’d start it, and never register as being ‘full,’ no matter how much, or how often, she ate,” Dad said quietly. “She’d be perpetually feeling like she was starving . . .

On hearing that, Roxanne reviewed several instances of Chica’s behaviour, and found herself in agreement with the reading she could see coming from the old man.

Anger: 92%

“At a guess, they left it out to save money,” Mom said icily, “. . . I know that Hermione has dibs, but I think that once Cassie is safely home tomorrow, we should all pay a visit to Fazbear Entertainment, and have words with the people in charge about honouring their contracts . . .”

Recalling a recent, similar conversation, Roxanne asked, “Words like ‘Auugh, my spleen . . .?”

Writer's Notes: Inspired by a video I saw recently.
    Last edited by Kieran; January 15th, 2024 at 10:41 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

and claiming five percent with every word that followed.
    Probable typo; climbing?
    Also very funny that it goes to 90% given 14 words, good attention to detail

I notice my confusion about Galen's role as contractor here. I was initially assuming he was responsible for technical design, manufacturing and documenting maintenance requirements/procedures of complete animatronics. That's incongruous with missing components on a body, since it would fall under the manufacturing. I guess he was only responsible for the minds? His reaction to appearance (craftsmanship pride) felt like it implied comprehensive manufacturing, but it could be the other way around. Certainly, the minds would be the hard part that would explain magical subcontracting.

Even if he's only responsible for the mind, it feels like a design failure on a mind-body interface to make a "hunger" sensor not-existing behave as hungry, rather than "maintenance required" or "not hungry"... but I suppose the explanation there totally justifies Takara's anger, because if you have something like that, you have no idea how the mind works internally, and manufacturing a proper sensor is deemed too-expensive, you'd make something that just sends the signal producing the behaviour you want at some intensity. Euuuuuughhhhhh, that is moral horror. And it wouldn't necessarily be obvious to consider that sort of failure case in advance.

I feel like contracts and labour law do not adequately cover the manufacturing of minds. Of course, that's currently still a fictional concern, but if you have the unique capacity to do that, securing adequate protections (imposing ruinous liability on the buyer) seems morally important. Not that I can entirely blame past-Galen here if he didn't consider that, because it's non-obvious/hard to draw the line, and for all I know maybe he did, and is going to own the entire company in a couple of years once the lawyers get done.

Intelligences with specific purpose like this are morally fraught, depending on how easily they can adjust to living outside of that designed environment. I have a potentially long tangent I can go off on about that, but it seems like a topic potentially too niche for the board.

Blog Entries
    Probable typo; climbing?
    Ack - fixed, thank you . . .

Also very funny that it goes to 90% given 14 words, good attention to detail
    Again, thank you.

I notice my confusion about Galen's role as contractor here. I was initially assuming he was responsible for technical design, manufacturing and documenting maintenance requirements/procedures of complete animatronics. That's incongruous with missing components on a body, since it would fall under the manufacturing. I guess he was only responsible for the minds? His reaction to appearance (craftsmanship pride) felt like it implied comprehensive manufacturing, but it could be the other way around. Certainly, the minds would be the hard part that would explain magical subcontracting.
    His primary task was dealing with AI aspects, yes - with a secondary element of the overall programming; because, obviously, he has to test how the AI handles it, and potential pitfalls. Now, because Fazbear Entertainment is canonically (really, really, REALLY) cheap, he's also on retainer to do some of the physical maintenance, as well; if nothing else, it helps the AIs integrate with new modules, or handle dealing with damage. For Fazbear, it means not hiring another contractor - and worse, a probably more expensive one.

(In the games themselves, it's implied that each Glamrock is a basic Endoskeleton animatronic piloting an appropriate shell, with the personality overlay downloaded from the company servers - Vanessa threatens to have Freddy "replaced" in such a way in Security Breach.)

As such, he has some attachment to all the Glamrocks (and Eclipse) - but Roxy is his baby. The company was looking to replace the classic Foxy unit (at minimal expense), and he designed her more-or-less from the ground up. That her foundational personality was modelled after Takara at her more tomboyish stage doesn't hurt, either . . .

Regardless, in terms of manufacturing, he has all their design specs, a wand, and a reasonably good knack for Transfiguration; Hermione's no slouch at Conjuring, either. Getting the parts to get Chica back to spec will be no harder than it was for Roxy - just time-consuming and somewhat effort-intensive.

Even if he's only responsible for the mind, it feels like a design failure on a mind-body interface to make a "hunger" sensor not-existing behave as hungry, rather than "maintenance required" or "not hungry"...
    It was meant to be an extension of the classic "Chica LOVES pizza" routine that's followed her entire character history - but the kids could actually watch her eat. The containment unit would be a place to store her "meals" AWAY from her delicate internals, and the sensor would tell her when her "stomach" was "full" so that she'd know not to eat more (or initiate that routine again) until she got rid of it . . . But with nothing there, she just reacts like she's supposed to around food (and pizza), but never gets the sense of completion.

but I suppose the explanation there totally justifies Takara's anger, because if you have something like that, you have no idea how the mind works internally, and manufacturing a proper sensor is deemed too-expensive, you'd make something that just sends the signal producing the behaviour you want at some intensity. Euuuuuughhhhhh, that is moral horror. And it wouldn't necessarily be obvious to consider that sort of failure case in advance.
    No, because it shouldn't have happened if her design was followed correctly. Instead, the poor bird has been tortured since the moment she came online with the sensation that she's starving - and she's done horrific and repeated damage to her systems with what she does "eat" (several in-game maintenance logs mention it).

I feel like contracts and labour law do not adequately cover the manufacturing of minds. Of course, that's currently still a fictional concern, but if you have the unique capacity to do that, securing adequate protections (imposing ruinous liability on the buyer) seems morally important. Not that I can entirely blame past-Galen here if he didn't consider that, because it's non-obvious/hard to draw the line, and for all I know maybe he did, and is going to own the entire company in a couple of years once the lawyers get done.

Intelligences with specific purpose like this are morally fraught, depending on how easily they can adjust to living outside of that designed environment. I have a potentially long tangent I can go off on about that, but it seems like a topic potentially too niche for the board.
    He couldn't question things too openly, because the Statute is still in force; too much risk of outing things if he drew too much attention. Still, he tried to avoid the obvious pitfalls, like pep-talking Roxy to navigate the potential conflict between her personality and what she'd be expected to do by the company . . .

What's really aggravating him is that he checked - the existence of the games in-universe (and according to Help Wanted, they do - but as a smokescreen to "cover up what REALLY happened") meant that this wasn't a horrific case of murdered children's spirits' possessing equally murderous animatronics. It was just an expansion of the franchise into an actual theme restaurant, like something Disney would do. He (and Hermione, and Takara) thought they were doing something fun, to delight children - an example of how well magic could blend with technology, as a point in favour of integration . . . If nothing else, maybe having AI able to argue in favour of magic might help, later on - but in the meantime, this would just be something light, and cheerful.

And Fazbear Entertainment (and Vanny, Glitchtrap, and who or whatever else) took all that potential, and turned it into THIS.

. . . Yeah - screw the Statute. He's getting answers if he has to Legilimence every single employee Fazbear Entertainment has, and have Takara call back all the dead ones. And if they're not answers he likes . . .

William Afton claims that he always comes back; this time, he's never going to WANT to, EVER again.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    It was meant to be an extension of the classic "Chica LOVES pizza" routine that's followed her entire character history - but the kids could actually watch her eat. The containment unit would be a place to store her "meals" AWAY from her delicate internals, and the sensor would tell her when her "stomach" was "full" so that she'd know not to eat more (or initiate that routine again) until she got rid of it . . . But with nothing there, she just reacts like she's supposed to around food (and pizza), but never gets the sense of completion.
    I'm attempting to reason about the development process, where Galen has a specification for "implement hunger behaviour based on containment unit sensor input", and presumably would not program "interpret no signal as hungry" if he has concern about the personhood of Chica (particularly because that would probably be the default when testing in isolation!). If he did do that, I would expect more self-loathing, because that is a predictable edge case that can be sanely handled, especially since he's involved in integrating modules. In the regular FNAF universe that's an anonymous lowest-bidding contractor and they don't consider Chica a person, so that sort of failure in interacting specifications is easy to understand.
    It seems much plausible to me that the null case would be food-indifferent, and someone else who wanted to activate the eating behaviour cheaply without the sensor stubbed in "always hungry" (either as hardware replacing the sensor, if the AI is a black box to them, or in software; which depends on how much of the software is magical)

He couldn't question things too openly, because the Statute is still in force; too much risk of outing things if he drew too much attention. Still, he tried to avoid the obvious pitfalls, like pep-talking Roxy to navigate the potential conflict between her personality and what she'd be expected to do by the company . . .
    This feels morally like they created house-elves, then sold them to a company that doesn't know they're people, without due diligence to check they wouldn't be mistreated. Not thinking about it that way seems believable when first thinking of the idea, but clearly at some point they realized they were making intelligent beings and selling them into potentially abusive conditions, or they wouldn't have taken precautions. They wouldn't have a lot of leverage at that point to dictate conditions (since they went to the company, not vice-versa), and sunk cost fallacy could apply (or positive framing).
    The reactive approach of magical monitoring and retaliatory spleen removal just doesn't seem sufficient, but at that point they would have made compromises on compromises, so perhaps it looked like the best option.
    Sorry, transhumanism/non-human intelligences and related ethical implications are things I enjoy reading/thinking about, and it is also entirely reasonable that characters may not share my beliefs/cultural expectations/moral intuitions about them. Obviously not doing the work invalidates the entire fic premise, and I'm overthinking it enormously XD

Blog Entries
    I'm attempting to reason about the development process, where Galen has a specification for "implement hunger behaviour based on containment unit sensor input", and presumably would not program "interpret no signal as hungry" if he has concern about the personhood of Chica (particularly because that would probably be the default when testing in isolation!).
    He was assured, when given the parameters, that it was meant to be a "performance gimmick," with specific operation times - basically, "once per show," with dumping periods in-between; as such, it was meant to trigger at times specified by the script. The sensor alert was to get her to stop, so she didn't accidentally intake more than her containment could handle, because she was meant to be in the midst of a feeding frenzy, and the manic energy of it was key to selling the bit.

It was meant to be a performance, as he understood it, and he made sure that Chica was aware of such, but . . .

If he did do that, I would expect more self-loathing, because that is a predictable edge case that can be sanely handled, especially since he's involved in integrating modules.

In the regular FNAF universe that's an anonymous lowest-bidding contractor and they don't consider Chica a person, so that sort of failure in interacting specifications is easy to understand. It seems much plausible to me that the null case would be food-indifferent, and someone else who wanted to activate the eating behaviour cheaply without the sensor stubbed in "always hungry" (either as hardware replacing the sensor, if the AI is a black box to them, or in software; which depends on how much of the software is magical)
    . . . But that - he never dreamed they'd be insane enough to just omit the unit altogether, leaving Chica in a constant state of "hunger." Or, if they were going to do so, not call him to make adjustments to her programming. And while it might have originally been an act, leaving it on 24/7 has allowed Chica to internalise it (which is NOT something he'd have thought her capable of doing).

This feels morally like they created house-elves, then sold them to a company that doesn't know they're people, without due diligence to check they wouldn't be mistreated. Not thinking about it that way seems believable when first thinking of the idea, but clearly at some point they realized they were making intelligent beings and selling them into potentially abusive conditions, or they wouldn't have taken precautions. They wouldn't have a lot of leverage at that point to dictate conditions (since they went to the company, not vice-versa), and sunk cost fallacy could apply (or positive framing).

The reactive approach of magical monitoring and retaliatory spleen removal just doesn't seem sufficient, but at that point they would have made compromises on compromises, so perhaps it looked like the best option.
    This is a case of Galen succeeding better than he ever realised. The initial intention was to just use magic to "tweak" things - smooth out the rough edges of current AI programming with the kind of personality and responsiveness that things like magic mirrors have had for ages - and make the characters more lifelike for the children. Magic being magic, and shaped by his own tendency to see such characters as real - and wanting the children to be able to do so . . .

The self-loathing and all the rest? Yeah, that's coming - not least because he's now finding out that "Fazbear Entertainment" isn't a spinoff created by Scott Cawthon, or licensed by him, it's actually FAZBEAR ENTERTAINMENT, with all the cartoonishly corporate evils that implies. Not everyone there is at fault, or even irresponsible; his son-in-law's a good man, and as he'll find out, there ARE e-mails that say things like "Don't hire Vanny - she absolutely doesn't have the qualifications for this position," which were just outright ignored . . . But this was preventable, and he didn't - and the animatronics were tortured, and Cassie nearly died . . .

There's a reason Roxy's last recent memory is of Cassie telling her that they needed to RUN - and that was just the prelude.

Sorry, transhumanism/non-human intelligences and related ethical implications are things I enjoy reading/thinking about, and it is also entirely reasonable that characters may not share my beliefs/cultural expectations/moral intuitions about them.
    True, but there's no harm in discussing it, either.

Obviously not doing the work invalidates the entire fic premise, and I'm overthinking it enormously XD
    Oh, I have a habit of doing that, myself . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Ahhh, so we had enough sincere people in the chain of trust to be convincing, and unexpected capabilities developing. I was figuring the latter had to have happened after I thought about it more.
    I was initially dismissing the company making convincing assurances given its reputation even in its own universe, but it's pretty believable (/reasonable for the premise to exist) that happened.

True, but there's no harm in discussing it, either.
    I wrote that one because I didn't have a great way to downplay feeling like everybody is somewhat negligent here; obviously as a reader observing the situation effectively in hindsight/with genre prompting, armchair moralizing isn't very difficult. Felt like I was being a bit too hard on Galen/Takara/Hermione, or implying their past actions to get to this point seemed uncharacteristic. I worked my way approximately around to guessing what would have had to happen, but at that point I was kind of unsure if that sort of scrutiny and second-guessing was welcome due to tone, and at that point I wondered if you as an author might have subtly different implicit moral beliefs about that sort of thing. Running into that sort of difference would have been really interesting/surprising. Of course, you actually have a totally plausible explanation that does not shock me in the slightest, so credit to you XD

Didn't consider it before, but it does make sense that Galen's in crisis-response mode, so he'd probably leave the self-hatred for after spleens have been removed.

Blog Entries
    Ahhh, so we had enough sincere people in the chain of trust to be convincing, and unexpected capabilities developing. I was figuring the latter had to have happened after I thought about it more.
    I was initially dismissing the company making convincing assurances given its reputation even in its own universe, but it's pretty believable (/reasonable for the premise to exist) that happened.
    Yeah - if you can find that the games exist in-universe, and aren't aware of Help Wanted's claim that they were developed by a "rogue indie game developer" (that the company hired, as it turns out) to make light of what really happened . . .

And given that Help Wanted is a VR game, it's fairly niche; on finding that both Fazbear Entertainment and the games existed, Galen simply assumed that they were a build-off of Scott Cawthon's franchise, either by the man himself, or someone he'd licensed it to. The fact that the company still existed so many decades after the "Bite of '87" and the presumed Missing Children Incident was also a mark to its being fictional . . .

As I said, the breakdown will be coming, because this was ALL preventable, if he'd just dug a little deeper into things . . .

I wrote that one because I didn't have a great way to downplay feeling like everybody is somewhat negligent here; obviously as a reader observing the situation effectively in hindsight/with genre prompting, armchair moralizing isn't very difficult.
    Which is an issue with any fictional medium.

Felt like I was being a bit too hard on Galen/Takara/Hermione, or implying their past actions to get to this point seemed uncharacteristic. I worked my way approximately around to guessing what would have had to happen, but at that point I was kind of unsure if that sort of scrutiny and second-guessing was welcome due to tone, and at that point I wondered if you as an author might have subtly different implicit moral beliefs about that sort of thing. Running into that sort of difference would have been really interesting/surprising.
    As a human being, I can't say I enjoy criticism; I have a number of neuroses, psychoses, and kinks to my psychological makeup, but that's not one of them, nor is it for the vast majority of people. As a writer, however, I expect it, and even desire it - as I've said before, to a very real degree, I run on replies, and other forms of attention. And that's even leaving aside the fact that part of the reason I write is to improve, which I won't do if my flaws aren't addressed (or in some cases, identified). That it's well-thought-out criticism is an even more wonderful thing.

So by all means, keep it coming, when you think I need it, and don't feel you're insulting or offending me in doing so. If I ever do get upset, I'll say so.

Of course, you actually have a totally plausible explanation that does not shock me in the slightest, so credit to you XD
    Thank you.

Didn't consider it before, but it does make sense that Galen's in crisis-response mode, so he'd probably leave the self-hatred for after spleens have been removed.
    As an Occlumens, he's learned to compartmentalise.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette