Page 99 of 103 FirstFirst ... 498994979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2049

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

Blog Entries
    How goes your writing?
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    How goes your writing?
    Apologies - this got buried so quickly I didn't see it. In answer, however . . .

En route to Hogwarts Castle
    September 1, 2006

As he sat in his compartment, Alex supposed, after looking at it closely, that the train was quaint.

Its exterior was, despite its brilliantly eye-catching paint job, some form of steel if not outright iron, and its interior was largely polished wood, with plush leather cushions and glass windows. It was a far cry from the plastic and aluminum that London’s “Tube” used—to say nothing of the sleek, high-speed trains of Tokyo. Then again, some of his earliest (and favourite) memories were of “quaint” things; as a society, the Veela were hardly big on modern technology, after all.

I should write while I have the time—Onee-chan always said it was a long trip . . .

Thinking of his sister brought her news to mind, along with some very conflicting thoughts. Alex wasn’t exactly used to the women in his family getting pregnant and having babies, precisely—but it happened often enough that he knew what it entailed. He’d been six when Sakura was born, and Seiko had come not long after. Chloe and Miyu were more recent in his mind, though, since he was older and better able understand what was going on—and fascinated enough by the sheer size of Ilya-obachan to pay attention to it.

Still, the thought of Takara being pregnant was different. Try as he might, Alex couldn’t picture her growing that big and round, getting that slow and ponderous, when she was so quick and moved so gracefully . . . It just seemed wrong, somehow.

But if it gets ’Kaa-san and ’Nee-chan to stop fighting, then—

His thought was broken by a sudden and strident demand for freedom, and Alex winced.

Sorry, Noire—Takara-neechan’s news surprised me.”

An answering huff came from the carrier even as he opened it, and the Kneazle-cat crossbreed it contained stalked out, stretching her limbs theatrically to point out the cruelty of keeping her imprisoned within in it.

Like her sister Mirai, Noire had her mother’s black fur, but she favoured her father in size and build. Stocky but not fat, she would’ve been an amazon of a woman had she been human, and her naturally thick fur only made her look larger. This had been true even when she was a kitten; from Alex’s earliest memories, Noire had simply been the biggest and fluffiest stuffed toy ever . . .

Nowadays, she was his first and best girl—and Noire definitely knew it, and she made sure he never forgot it.

Like now, for example, as her head twisted in mid-stretch to give him a glare which as good as said “Your Queen is not amused.”

Alex deliberately did not smile, instead reaching down to rub Noire’s “skritchy spots;” one hand tackled her shoulders and hips, the other going from the base of her neck, trailing along her spine to finish at the base of her tail. The cat arched her back to meet him, leaning into the massage as the kinks were worked out of her joints, before suddenly rolling away, briefly showing her belly before turning back onto her feet in a coiled ball that launched itself up onto the bench, next to him.

“Forgive me?” he murmured teasingly, drawing another huff from Noire, even as she climbed into his lap, curling herself into a position where she could watch the outside window, and watch the world begin to go by.

Now Alex smiled. It wasn’t that the carrier actually was cramped. In point of fact, the carrier was quite luxurious, as such things went: it’d had had the appropriate charms placed on it to make it the feline equivalent to a magical tent. Plus, he’d been told, sufficient armour plating to stop bullets and most explosions, defensive enchantments including Flame-Freezing Charms, the ability to seal itself up against flooding or gas attacks, and enough food and water for at least a month.

Granted, Alex had never had time or reason to test those claims, but he believed them implicitly. The wizard behind the original concept was very dedicated to the health and safety of the family cats and insisted that every branch with one have these for available for their use. Mother and Father had liked the practicality of it and had some input in the design process, and Alex had total faith in what his family could accomplish together.

(Of course, that had been when his family was still speaking to one another . . .)

No, it was that she’d been forced in that Noire hated. Stretching as she’d done was merely to rub his nose in the fact that she felt put-upon—and thus, she demanded compensation, as was her right.

“What will it be, Noire?” he said brightly. “There’s not much room in here, so we can’t really chase a ball, but we can always play ‘Flip,’ if you’d like.”

Her ears perked up, and Alex expected an assenting meow—but then they suddenly swivelled towards the compartment door, which opened as the wizard turned his head to follow.

Standing in the door was a Japanese girl in deep blue robes. Her glossy black hair was cut short, but only in the sense that it didn’t quite reach her shoulders. Despite wearing a pair of hair clips that pulled her bangs away from her face, they still framed it, and a fringe of hair in the center of her forehead fell between her eyes. And those eyes, Alex noted, were a golden-brown that would have been warm, if their expression was so coldly empty . . .

“May I—?” she began in Japanese, before halting, and trying again in English. “May I sit here?”

“Of course,” Alex said. “Forgive me for not rising, but the other lady present is quite comfortable, and would not appreciate being disturbed, even for courtesy’s sake.”

Noire huffed, her tail twitching back and forth, and he glanced down at her. “It is good manners, Noire—Mother, Godmother, and Hisui agree on that.”

And that being the case, Alex just followed the lessons that he’d learned since he’d first stayed with the colony when it came to dealing with girls: be polite, smile, and look to help them whenever and however possible. Most of the girls he knew did seem to appreciate it, so he tried his best to keep it up whenever he could. It was just the nice thing to do.

Aunt Touko, oddly, was an exception to that; she’d gone a funny colour when he’d told her about that, and walked off muttering something about “that turning out to be genetic . . .

(Annoyingly, she wouldn’t tell him what she was talking about, and no one else he asked seemed to know, either . . .)

The girl stared at him wordlessly, then moved to the corner on the far side of him, positioning her head out the window.

Not the interested-in-making-friends type, Alex noted—but again, good manners required him to at least make an effort . . .

“Is this your first year at Hogwarts, too?” he tried experimentally.

She didn’t look much older than him, if at all, but she’d come in dressed as a witch, rather than a mundane-born or someone attempting to move through the mundane side of King’s Cross unnoticed . . . Or maybe she just didn’t know the customs? If her first language was Japanese—but then again, Alex thought he’d have heard if another student was transferring to Hogwarts besides him. The rumour mill would’ve mentioned it, if nothing else.

“Yes.” The one-word answer startled him out of his thoughts, if for no other reason than he had to strain a bit to hear her—she was very soft-spoken.

Noire huffed again, her tail flicking in irritation.

“Apologies, Miss,” Alex said, even as he reached to begin petting Noire. “She does get jealous if I pay too much attention to other girls . . .” He glanced down at her. “I promised you a game of ‘Flip,’ I believe?”

One hand rubbed Noire’s ears, while the other reached into his bag, seeking—

Hogwarts: A History?” he read the title of the book he pulled out. He’d been reaching for his sketchbook, since it had big, blank pages to play with . . .

“One of my favourite books!” came a new voice. Alex looked up to find another girl at the door, whose silvery-blonde hair led him to think “Veela,” save that her eyes were very brown—and Ai von Einzbern was the only Veela-blooded girl he knew that had any non-Veela traits.

The newcomer, meanwhile, continued chattering in spite of his silence. “Have you read it yet? The section on the Second Voldemort War is my favourite—not only is it recent enough to be thoroughly accurate, but it goes into a lot of detail about the major personalities behind the conflict. They fought when they were just students, like us, and some of the things they’ve gone on to do since—

She had yet to stop to breathe, as far as Alex could tell, and between that and the subject matter, he would’ve sworn he was looking at Hermione Granger as a first year, if it weren’t for her hair . . .

The thought made his chest tighten a little. “Aunt” Hermione was one of the smartest and kindest people he knew (memories of being read to late at night when he’d had a nightmare while staying over came to mind at the thought). Despite her illness restricting her to night-time hours, and lending her a permanent air of fragility, and sadness, she always smiled and encouraged him to do his best—and that, despite the fact that she wasn’t actually related to him.

Breathe, Ro,” came another voice, this one a boy’s, and thick with amusement. A dark head of hair appeared over the girl’s shoulder, attached to a freckled face and brown eyes that sparkled with laughter.

“Sorry about her,” he mock-apologised. “She does prattle on when her favourite subject comes up—mind if we come in?” The boy paused, then added. “I’m Alfie, by the way. Alfie Cattermole.”

The girl flushed beet-red, realising her distraction. “Sorry—I’m Rowan Copper.”

“That’s a pretty name,” Alex remarked, smiling. “And it’s all right, we’ve got plenty of room—please, sit.” After the pair were settled, he continued, “I’m Alexandre Aozaki, by the way—you can call me Alex.”

(It was a pity that his head was turned to face the pair, or he might’ve seen the Japanese girl’s gaze lock sharply on him.)

Turning to Rowan, he asked, “So, your favourite subject is Hogwarts: A History? Or is it the Second War . . .?”

“Neither, actually,” the boy said, grinning. “She’s been mooning over Takara Salvatore since she was six.

Alfie!” the girl in question shrieked in a scandalised tone, reaching across the compartment to smack him in the chest. Fortunately, they were too absorbed in one another to note Alex’s reaction, which was to swallow a laugh of his own as his eyebrows shot up at the sheer absurdity of the coincidence—because neither of them had seemingly made the connection between him and his sister.

(He wasn’t certain whether to feel pleased or insulted by that.)

“Takara Salvatore is brill,” Rowan said, seemingly by way of explanation. “She’s gorgeous, yeah, but also clever enough to figure out a cure for lycanthropy when she was barely out of school. And she’s wicked enough to take on wizards with a sword and win! Who wouldn’t want to be like her . . .?”

That tight feeling returned to Alex’s chest, because she wasn’t wrong. His sister, intentionally or not, cast a long shadow—if he wanted to get out from under it, he needed to be at least as good. It was part of why he’d wanted to attend Hogwarts; because it was a great school, to help propel her as far she’d gone . . . And yes, because he’d missed her, and it was a way to feel close to her, at least.

“—Just wish I could get my hands on her Chocolate Frog Card,” Rowan was complaining. “I’ve got Galen Salvatore, which is nice, and most of the ‘Heroes of Hogwarts’ line—mostly so I’ve got something to trade if I do find her—but no matter how many packs I buy, I just never get lucky.”

“And the makers of Chocolate Frogs thank you for your hefty contribution to their profit margin,” Alfie spouted, still grinning.

Rowan scowled. “Prat.”

A thought occurred to Alex, but he ignored it for a moment in favour of a burning question. “You two seem awfully close—are you dating?”

The two of them jumped as though he’d fired a Stinging Hex at them, simultaneously yelling “NO!

Rowan shook her head. “No—we’ve lived next-door to each other since we were sprogs.” She grinned. “He was the only member of his family interested in playing Gobstones with me—or doing anything that didn’t involve hair, dolls, or tea.”

“I was just amazed to meet a girl that wasn’t like my sisters,” Alfie retorted. “They couldn’t sit on a broom if you used a Permanent Sticking Charm—”

Noire growled.

“Sorry,” Alex apologised. “Less talk, more flip—but let me get the better book, OK?”

He pulled his bag closer, slipped Hogwarts: A History into it, and pulled out the sketchbook. Flipping towards the back (and a blank page), he held it in front of his lap, and tapped it with his wand.

The pad held itself in place.

“. . . Did you just cast a spell on that book?” Alfie said. “Wicked.

Alex shook his head. “I know what enchantments were used, but not how to do them—my mother charmed it for me. It makes it much easier to draw, since I can move it to follow my subject, if I need to, or leave it like this. And Noire likes it because . . .”

Casually, he turned a page—and she batted it back, forcefully. He flicked it towards her again, and she swatted it in return. And so, they went back and forth, like playing table tennis.

Alfie seemed disbelieving, and Rowan, oddly fascinated. She stared intently at it, and he wondered why—before a possible reason asserted itself. And with it, came an idea; possibly a silly one, but he thought his sister would approve.

Leaning down, he whispered in Noire’s ear. “When the trolley comes, after we open a Chocolate Frog or two, could you distract them?”

Her ear flicked in assent, even as the cat’s focus didn’t seem to waver from the game.

They were interrupted a moment later by the rattling of the approaching snack trolley. Reaching into his bag, Alex grabbed some Galleons—and palmed the other item he needed.

It didn’t take long. The Frogs were opened, began to hop—and Noire went ballistic, pouncing and pursuing them with as much enthusiasm as any cat had ever chased a laser pointer. The compartment was full of flying fur and chocolate—and no small amount of shredded wrappers—for a moment, before Alex reached out and scooped her up with one hand.

“My apologies, everyone,” he said sincerely, “I’d hoped that playing ‘Flip’ would burn off her energy, not wind her up—well done, pretty girl,” he murmured against her skull. “I did manage to save your Chocolate Frog Card, though, Miss Copper.”

He passed it to her with his other hand—and watched her eyes widen until it seemed they’d leave her skull entirely.

I got her,” Rowan whispered hoarsely, before shrieking, “I’VE GOT HER! FINALLY, I’ve got Takara . . .!” She stopped, and suddenly went as pale as Hermione ever looked. “This—this can’t be right.”

“What d’you mean?” Alfie asked, peering over her shoulder at the card—and then his eyes widened. “Bloody hell . . .

“Something wrong?” Alex asked innocently.

“This card . . .” Rowan swallowed hard. “It’s autographed.

“Is that a good thing?” he asked, trying to project the image that butter not only wouldn’t melt in his mouth, it would whip itself into cream. It wouldn’t work on his parents (or his sister, his brother-in-law, his godmother—all right, basically any of his relatives), but these were kids his own age . . .

“Everyone knows that Takara Salvatore autographed one hundred cards, total,” Alfie said, with the air of a serious Chocolate Frog Card collector. “She keeps them all herself, and auctions them sometimes for charity, or lets companies use one for a special event prize, things like that. A standard Chocolate Frog package, like this? Wouldn’t happen. It couldn’t.

“So where,” Rowan wondered aloud, “did this come from . . .?”

“He switched cards while you were dodging the cat, after pulling it from his bag.”

All eyes turned to the Japanese witch, and Alex mentally berated himself—she’d been so quiet, he’d actually forgotten she was there!

Then Rowan’s head snapped back to Alex. “Wait—you have an autographed Takara Salvatore card? And you decided to just give it AWAY . . .?!

Truthfully, his card was at home; this one was something Takara had given him, in case he ever found himself in a situation where such a gift, or leverage, might be useful . . . But given that he’d been hoping to keep his anonymity a while (hence the secrecy), he didn’t really want to admit that.

“He told you.” The Japanese witch’s tone was flat, almost mechanical. “He’s Alexandre Aozaki.”

She turned to him, and bowed as best she could while seated.

Edelfelt Miyu desu, Aozaki-san—my elder sister has told me much about you and your family . . .”

Writer's Notes: For reference, Alfie Cattermole is referenced (but doesn't actually appear) in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1, if you want the film), and Rowan is derived from two characters in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers are involved, there - fair warning - but it would explain her being a Takara fangirl, eh . . .?
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    We've jumped a bit back in time here, albeit still after the first Christmas here.

I don't think we've had Alex's direct perspective before. Noire has an almost overwhelming amount of personality, but she does a great job helping flesh out Alex. Tohno gland continues to be in full effect.
    Rowan is definitely energetic, and certainly has the most presence of the newly-introduced characters. Alfie makes a good contrast. We don't see a lot of him, but he feels oddly mature.

So we have two Miyus in this universe now? Huh. Feels like a bit of a naming oddity, but it does explain the personality. This reminds me to check on the original epilogue a bit; since I remember hearing that Rin and Luvia were on honeymoon, but they're the most likely explanation for an Edelfelt. "Elder sister" though, so she's probably Luvia's sibling (possibly adopted)... that is alarmingly like original Miyu.
    “I miss you terribly,” he retorted. “So does Dad. When are you, Mom and Aunt ‘Mione going to stop all this fighting?”
    Oh nice, you even had that conflict in the original epilogue, albeit downplayed.

Alex was born in 1993, so at the time of this snippet, he's 12 going on 13, likely in his third year, since he was going for his first 2 years ago. It's interesting to drop in on him here and not have more context about friends he might have already made in previous years... actually wait a minute, he's referring to Takara telling him she was pregnant back from the original epilogue, no? Now I'm somewhat confused about the chronology. Is this meant to be 2004, or am I forgetting you mentioning something about the epilogue year a while back?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    We've jumped a bit back in time here, albeit still after the first Christmas here.

. . .

Alex was born in 1993, so at the time of this snippet, he's 12 going on 13, likely in his third year, since he was going for his first 2 years ago. It's interesting to drop in on him here and not have more context about friends he might have already made in previous years... actually wait a minute, he's referring to Takara telling him she was pregnant back from the original epilogue, no? Now I'm somewhat confused about the chronology. Is this meant to be 2004, or am I forgetting you mentioning something about the epilogue year a while back?
    Alex was born on the same date as Galen, meaning much like he and Hermione, he missed the cutoff date and had to go to Hogwarts almost a year later (meaning he's almost twelve), and -

. . . Oh, HELL - "eight years later," yes, but I've been mentally adding it to the end of the school year (1998) rather than the beginning, meaning all my "canon" post-Trinity snips have been off by a year for HOW LONG . . .?!

*(Bangs head against nearest hard surface)*

IdiotidiotIDIOTIDIOT . . .!

*Sighs* . . . OK - in the event that this "longer work" does get published (which is looking more and more likely), I'll adjust the dates as necessary - and I'll go fix the Twilight epilogue right now. I'm sorry, I'm a moron.

I don't think we've had Alex's direct perspective before.
    We have not.

Noire has an almost overwhelming amount of personality, but she does a great job helping flesh out Alex.
    Yeah - she's definitely Mirai's sister, but I tried to make her her own cat, as well. And it was a good way to figure out Alex, by figuring out how he related to her . . . "First and best girl" is the best way I could think of to describe it, in the end.

I'll be honest - Alex is still something of a "black box" to me. I know he loves and misses his sister, wants to be known as more than just "Takara's brother/Shiki and Ciel's son," is (somewhat unintentionally) something of a heartbreaker where girls are concerned, and likes to draw as a hobby; it's also possible that he grew up with something of a crush on Hermione (because she's not Japanese or Veela-blooded, which makes her "exotic" to his eyes), but that could just be my imagination. I'm still working out what all that means, though, to him as a character and a person . . .

I can't even really decide which House he should be in - there are arguments to be made for all of them!

Tohno gland continues to be in full effect.
    Very much so, and he's entirely unaware of it - at least, to the extent of doing anything deliberately. He's just being gentlemanly, as he was taught (by Veela, it's important to remember). The fact that he looks like "a European rendition of Shiki" (to paraphrase the epilogue) gives him something of a Negi Springfield vibe, except more mature, as he's much older - though only Galen would really understand the reference . . . And Arcueid, of all the adults in Alex's life, finds this all hilariously amusing.

Rowan is definitely energetic, and certainly has the most presence of the newly-introduced characters.
    Would you believe I had her personality decided on before I'd figured out her identity . . .?

I originally wanted her to be mundane-born, but thought this worked well enough. She's meant to be the sassy, adventurous one (as opposed to, say, Miyu) - she'll call Alex out if she thinks he's being stupid, jump into situations without worrying about things like consequences, and so forth. Part of that is because she's had to take some flack because of her heritage, and has decided to brook no apologies about it. Part of it is because her nature lets her shrug off some things that other witches and wizards might be seriously imperilled by; not quite Hagrid levels of obliviousness, but she's got a leg up (or two) on most. And part of it is her growing up while thinking of Takara as this badass witch who can do pretty much anything, and wanting to emulate her - which Alex has some of, as well, but not quite as idealised, having actually grown up around her. I'm hoping the contrast of their two viewpoints will be interesting.

For example, Rowan knows that Takara is married, but finding out she's pregnant is liable to throw the girl for a loop, because she never considered Takara as domestic . . . To say nothing of her potential reactions to Hermione.

Alfie makes a good contrast. We don't see a lot of him, but he feels oddly mature.
    He's used to dealing with Rowan in particular, and has two older sisters - while he doesn't have Alex's "savvy" for girls, he's not unused to dealing with them. And because of Rowan, he's gotten used to thinking things through a little more - because as noted, she's tougher than he is, and his parents have impressed on him that her idea of "a close scrape" could do him a serious injury. It's somewhat manifested as tweaking her tail periodically, to make her stop and think; for her own good, and his.

So we have two Miyus in this universe now? Huh. Feels like a bit of a naming oddity, but it does explain the personality. This reminds me to check on the original epilogue a bit; since I remember hearing that Rin and Luvia were on honeymoon, but they're the most likely explanation for an Edelfelt. "Elder sister" though, so she's probably Luvia's sibling (possibly adopted)... that is alarmingly like original Miyu.
    Isn't she, though . . .?

Oh nice, you even had that conflict in the original epilogue, albeit downplayed.
    Well, I could only do so much in an epilogue . . .
    Last edited by Kieran; January 23rd, 2023 at 11:25 AM.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    *Sighs* . . . OK - in the event that this "longer work" does get published (which is looking more and more likely), I'll adjust the dates as necessary - and I'll go fix the Twilight epilogue right now.
    Okay, so it's consistently 2005, and this takes place right after the epilogue. I thought the epilogue had an off-by-one in the opposite direction when I double-checked here, never noticed before.
    I'll be honest - Alex is still something of a "black box" to me. I know he loves and misses his sister, wants to be known as more than just "Takara's brother/Shiki and Ciel's son," is (somewhat unintentionally) something of a heartbreaker where girls are concerned, and likes to draw as a hobby; it's also possible that he grew up with something of a crush on Hermione (because she's not Japanese or Veela-blooded, which makes her "exotic" to his eyes), but that could just be my imagination. I'm still working out what all that means, though, to him as a character and a person . . .
    Yeah, I can sort of feel that lack, though it's hard to put a finger on. A lot of his reflections feel obvious from what we already know, and his inner voice feels a bit generic right now. Obviously, polite and eloquent, but that comes with the upbringing.

Alex attempting sleight-of-hand gives a lot to interpret, though. A spontaneous gesture, but also really over-the-top. I wonder if he picked that up from Galen? He thinks he can paper over the exclusivity of an autographed card by playing dumb, so seemingly isn't very conscious of how exceptional his relatives are to others (and thinks that kids his own age are easy to deceive). That could imply being a bit out-of-touch or privileged? He took advantage of being unrecognized, though didn't explicitly try to be anonymous, and didn't seem to consider that important when giving a gift.

I'm interested to see Alex's attitude towards authority; does he think they're similarly easy to deceive? And when would he take advantage of that?
    I can't even really decide which House he should be in - there are arguments to be made for all of them!
    I'm enjoying the ambition implicit in "wants to be known as more than Takara's brother". Not sure if it's really defining, it just stands out among his traits. Downside is that next generation being in Slytherin is fairly common, Cursed Child etc. I think you could stretch this group to be split among all four houses, if you wanted symmetry.

And part of it is her growing up while thinking of Takara as this badass witch who can do pretty much anything, and wanting to emulate her - which Alex has some of, as well, but not quite as idealised, having actually grown up around her. I'm hoping the contrast of their two viewpoints will be interesting.
    Shades of Ginny, but again, way more idealized. Definitely sounds fun. I'm a tad surprised she's not more aware of Galen, given her heritage.

Isn't she, though . . .?
    *suspicion intensifies*

Blog Entries
    Okay, so it's consistently 2005, and this takes place right after the epilogue. I thought the epilogue had an off-by-one in the opposite direction when I double-checked here, never noticed before.
    Neither did I - I feel like an idiot . . . *Facepalms*

Yeah, I can sort of feel that lack, though it's hard to put a finger on. A lot of his reflections feel obvious from what we already know, and his inner voice feels a bit generic right now. Obviously, polite and eloquent, but that comes with the upbringing.
    Yeah - we're still feeling each other out. Takara was easier, but I based her personality on Gundam SEED's Cagalli Yula Athha, and mixed her with Sakura Taisen's Sakura Shinguji for the "proper young Japanese lady" elements. Alex doesn't have a pre-existing model, so it's taking a bit more work.

Alex attempting sleight-of-hand gives a lot to interpret, though. A spontaneous gesture, but also really over-the-top. I wonder if he picked that up from Galen?
    Quite probably - though to be fair, it's not unheard of in his immediate family, either.

He thinks he can paper over the exclusivity of an autographed card by playing dumb, so seemingly isn't very conscious of how exceptional his relatives are to others (and thinks that kids his own age are easy to deceive). That could imply being a bit out-of-touch or privileged? He took advantage of being unrecognized, though didn't explicitly try to be anonymous, and didn't seem to consider that important when giving a gift.
    Good points, all - thanks for the input.

I'm interested to see Alex's attitude towards authority; does he think they're similarly easy to deceive? And when would he take advantage of that?
    Interesting questions . . .

I'm enjoying the ambition implicit in "wants to be known as more than Takara's brother". Not sure if it's really defining, it just stands out among his traits. Downside is that next generation being in Slytherin is fairly common, Cursed Child etc.
    Which would have good points, given the ideas I have in mind, but you're right, it is repetitive - but so's Gryffindor, for much the same reason. And yet, it is "the protagonist house" . . . Unless I count Hufflepuff, because of Newt Scamander, anyway.

I think you could stretch this group to be split among all four houses, if you wanted symmetry.
    I probably could, but it would mean that it would be difficult to allow them to socialise, unless the system's been seriously revamped since the war. By the same token, though, given some of the things I'm "planning" (air quotes very much intended), spreading beyond a single House isn't a terrible idea . . .

Shades of Ginny, but again, way more idealized. Definitely sounds fun.
    Because she is eleven, and is dealing with Takara at a remove - Takara's a celebrity she might have met once, as a small child, more likely someone she's only heard of. Hero worship is easy, from a distance.

I'm a tad surprised she's not more aware of Galen, given her heritage.
    Oh, she's aware - but while she brooks no apologies for her heritage, Rowan doesn't go out of her way to advertise it, at least not on a first meeting. Alex, of course, has already figured it out, because she's not subtle, regardless; the fact that Alfie dropped a clue didn't hurt, either.

. . . And much as in Hogwarts, Galen's "fame" is largely underplayed; he's known as the first successful test subject - it's much less impressive than creating the actual cure.

Now her mother, on the other hand, is old enough to know exactly who he is: the slayer of Fenrir Greyback, and following a certain incident not long after the Battle of Hogwarts, the de facto king of the werewolves in Britain, who laid down a single "royal edict" - that being to the effect of, "Do NOT make me come over there." *Chuckles*

*suspicion intensifies*
    Don't look at me - whatever's going on there, it's almost certain to be Rin's fault.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh wow. we're seeing the beginning of The Fab Four?
    Last edited by hatori; January 25th, 2023 at 02:26 AM.
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hatori View Post
    Oh wow. we're seeing the beginning of The Fab Four?
    *Chuckles* Possibly - Alex and Miyu wouldn't get the reference, but Alfie and Rowan both have mundane-born parents, so I could see it getting adopted. The trick is figuring out how to get the Weasley twins to give it to them . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Wellllll, considering that there's only Four, so far. I did consider Quad/Quartet, but the Beatles Reference was too good not to use.
    That being said I will be interested to see the sequel to Trinity. Especially if it involves their offspring.

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    Wellllll, considering that there's only Four, so far. I did consider Quad/Quartet, but the Beatles Reference was too good not to use.
    Well, of course it was - it's the Beatles.

That being said I will be interested to see the sequel to Trinity.
    Glad to know - it encourages me to actually start writing it.]

Especially if it involves their offspring.
    As I see it right now (meaning things may change as I go along), I'd probably start somewhere between the Final Battle and the epilogue of Book 7. It's a time skip that covers basically as long a period as the entire Trinity series to that point, after all; that's far too much time to just ignore. And after that . . .

The next major events I'm aware of that could take place in the Potterverse are in 2008 at the earliest (A.K.A., Magic Awakens, I think it's called - which is "ten years after the defeat of Voldemort," allegedly). Ai would be old enough for Hogwarts, but she'd largely be on her own; Alex would be at Hogwarts, but Teddy Lupin and Victoire Weasley would be a year too young, and Elise would be a toddler.

On the other hand, that's also the canon year of the Fifth Fuyuki Holy Grail War - meaning Prisma Illya and Fate/strange fake could be options, as well . . . Or possibly Type/redline, given how weird it is already. But considering the usual results of a Grail War, and the power scale differences, that seems kind of cruel . . .

Still, this is a TYPE-MOON fan board, so it would make sense, no?

In any case, there are a lot of odd elements to consider, even without considering things like Chaldea showing up claiming the Scarlet Seven's world is a Singularity . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Continuing . . .

Hogwarts Castle, Scotland
    November 24, 2005

They were departing lunch when it happened.

There was a brilliant flash, bright enough that it was visible even when its source was at his back; Alex shuddered to think what might’ve happened if he’d still been in the Great Hall when it happened, never mind actually facing in its direction. As it was, the number of screams coming from there—many of them crying out in pain as much as fright—indicated that several people hadn’t been so lucky.

It was followed by a roll of thunder that seemed to rattle the walls, and Rowan winced, slapping her hands over her ears and clutching her head.

—the BLOODY HELL was THAT?!

It said something that, even though she was obviously shouting by her the look of her face and the tone of her voice, Alex could barely hear her until the thunder subsided.

“A lightning strike,” came an unexpected response, and Alex and Rowan both turned to see the House ghosts floating through a wall up ahead—it was Sir Nicholas who had spoken.

The Gryffindor ghost continued grimly, “I’ve not seen a bolt like that since the North Tower was destroyed—”

A long, slow tolling rang out—at least as loud as the thunder had been, and it set Rowan back to covering her ears, and Alex’s teeth to grinding.

“And that?” he yelled out, even as he fumbled for his wand. It was hard to concentrate, but he managed to tap the walls, floor, and aim at the ceiling, defining an invisible box to himself as he cast the modified Imperturbable Charm, as he’d been taught to—and relative silence descended within the marked area.

Thank you, ‘Mio-neechan . . .

“I normally don’t go in for girly stuff,” Rowan breathed, “but I could kiss you right now—teach me that spell, and I will.

“I never thought I’d see anyone manage to get that from you without offering food fir—OW!

Alfie’s attempt at humour was met with a slap to the chest. It said something about Alex that he was able to ignore the byplay and focus on the ghosts—what, he wasn’t sure, but something.

“What causes lightning in November?” he asked them. “And what is that ringing?”

To his ears, it almost sounded like a temple bell . . .

“I’ve no idea,” Sir Nicholas admitted. “I’ve not heard anything like it before.”

I have,” said the Ravenclaw ghost, and all eyes turned to her.

She pushed her glasses up onto her nose, before admitting, “I don’t know what the spell is for, but I know the bell is an alarm meant to go off when the enchantment’s invoked. Something’s happened that’s tripped a defence, and the Headmistress and teachers are meant to know it.”

“I say, that’s new,” Sir Nicholas remarked. “Was it added during the rebuilding, then?”

She nodded. “And more.”

“It gets worse than literal Hell’s Bells?” Rowan said, aghast.

The ghost nodded, a vindictive smirk crossing her faces even as her eyes began to sparkle with excitement.

“Oh, yes,” she murmured eagerly. “Because the bells don’t just go off at Hogwarts . . .”

Myrtle Warren, otherwise known as “Moaning Myrtle,” a ghost historically known for her vindictiveness—and the reason that bullying within Ravenclaw House was at an all-time low—smiled viciously.

“Galen will be coming, to see what tripped his alarm,” she explained, “and he’s going to be very unhappy with whoever did . . .” The spectre giggled.

“It’s going to be so much fun to watch.

“This,” the Japanese wizard said direly, “is a terrible idea.”

“Then why are you coming?” Alfie asked bluntly, because he honestly couldn’t figure the other boy out.

In a lot of ways, Alex Aozaki came off as someone who’d fit his dad’s stories of Slytherins perfectly well: aloof, arrogant and spoiled by growing up with more money and connections than all the families on Alfie’s block combined. Aozaki went out of his way to be the best in class on any given assignment, and tackled any extra-credit assignment like it was a personal insult if he didn’t get top marks—because he absolutely expected to, like it was owed to him. At the same time, however, he routinely treated any spell or potion they were taught as ridiculously simple, and hardly worth his time; the way an OWL-year student might regard first-year lessons.

All his school supplies were high-quality stuff; not “a thousand Galleons per quill,” or gold-laced ink, or robes spun out of Acromantula silk, maybe, but not something the average bloke could afford to walk out of Diagon Alley with—it all cost, to be sure. Even his cat was a spoiled, demanding beast. On top of all that, he’d gotten a bakery’s worth of pastries and treats for his birthday, along with cards and photographs from nearly a dozen girls—most of them Veela, and more than a few of them a lot older than they were (and with accompanying photographs) . . .

Granted, the shocked jealousy there had been more from their older housemates, but a general disinterest in girls hadn’t kept Alfie from wondering why the bloody hell last year’s Triwizard Champion would send Aozaki a birthday card . . .!

(And the explanation, if anything, had only increased the shock and jealously—how exactly had Aozaki rated, to be lucky enough to get Gabrielle Delacour as a babysitter . . .?)

No, by all the measures that Alfie could think of, Alex Aozaki had been born with a silver spoon in his mouth and would’ve fit perfectly into the Slytherin House his mum and dad had described from their time at Hogwarts—and yet . . .

And yet, the birthday treats had been divided up, or parcelled out, because they were “far more than I could ever eat.” The cards had been tucked away, out of sight for “privacy reasons” (and behind some nasty protections, judging by a few of the older students’ attempts to “borrow” them), and Aozaki never hesitated to share a quill or scrap of parchment if asked—or a textbook, for that matter. Being contemptuous of the curriculum hadn’t stopped him from helping Alfie with a charm when he’d been asked or explaining a particular element of a potion or transfiguration; and all that, without giving the impression that only an idiot would ask.

And almost the first thing he did, when we’d just met, Alfie reminded himself, was trying to slip Ro the thing she wanted most in the world—and autographed, no less—without looking like he had anything to do with it.

“Spoiled” and “generous” were absolutely opposite things, and so were “aloof” and “friendly”—but somehow, Aozaki managed to be both at once. It was confusing as hell . . .

“Well,” the Japanese wizard drawled, pulling Alfie from his thoughts, “I could say that there’s a tradition regarding Aozakis and adventure at this school, which is true enough—”

And Alfie knew the other boy was big on tradition; he’d spent long enough complaining that he’d managed to avoid “the Halloween curse” and “the Spook House” some weeks back.

(It had been explained to him twice, and Alfie still wasn’t sure what the second one was about—Rowan had thought it sounded fun, though . . .)

“But more importantly,” Aozaki continued, breaking Alfie’s train of thought, “she’s going to go”—he nodded at Rowan—“and take you with her, so I need to make sure that you don’t die.”

Alfie blinked. “Die?

Rowan scoffed. “That’s ridiculous—all I want to do is get a look at Galen Salvatore! Why would we die?

“Because Miss Myrtle said that Galen would be ‘very unhappy,’” Aozaki said seriously. “And when members of my family are very unhappy, well . . .” He shrugged nonchalantly. “I’ll at least be able to tell you when to start running.”

Alfie frowned. There was that “opposites” thing again—it sounded like bragging or taking the mickey, but Aozaki seemed oddly sincere about it, and concerned about them besides.

“OK, I could almost believe it,” Rowan allowed finally. “After all, if Takara Salvatore married him, he’d almost have to be a badass, to keep up with her. But nobody ever talks about him, other than him being the first lycan, and you’d think if he really was, he’d have done something people that remember . . .

She scowled, offended on her idol’s behalf, and Alfie couldn’t help but grin. Though he had to make sure that she didn’t see it—he liked his skin unbruised, thank you muchly.

Edelfelt interjected, “Nicholas-san said—”

Alfie jumped—and he wasn’t the only one. “Bloody hell, will someone put a bell around your neck!” He whirled on Rowan. “I thought you were listening for people coming!”

Teachers, Alf,” she shot back, “or groups of students. Her steps are too light. And before you ask, no, I couldn’t smell her—there’s no wind in here, is there?”

Voices, on the other hand, will carry,” Aozaki pointed out. “So perhaps we should continue on, and keep our voices down?” As he stepped away, he said quietly, “You were saying, Edelfelt-san?

Alfie traded looks with Rowan and followed on.

Edelfelt was, if anything, even odder than Aozaki. She was absolutely aloof, answering questions in class but largely ignoring everyone else who wasn’t either a prefect or a teacher. Aozaki was the only one she seemed even remotely friendly with, and that was basically just saying that she’d usually talk to him if he asked her something. It proved so now, as she repeated her previous words.

“Nicholas-san said that the last time a bolt of lightning like that struck, it destroyed the North Tower,” Edelfelt said in that quiet, toneless voice of hers.

Alfie stopped. “You think that was a spell?

“It does seem unlikely,” Aozaki admitted. “Hogwarts is a fairly old structure, with significant defensive enchantments, built over significant time—I can’t imagine the level of force and power it would take to do so.

“Then again,” he added with a shrug, “my experience is that if my family wants to do something, they’ll find a way . . .”

Silence hung for a moment, before Rowan admitted, “OK—that would be badass enough for Takara . . . And if he actually could do that, I’ve really got to see him!”

She broke into a run.

Aozaki looked at Alfie and raised one eyebrow. “She does remember that I said you could die, right?”

Alfie sighed. “It’s a lycan thing—I figure you’d know, wouldn’t you?”

Aozaki blinked, then nodded. “I suppose it is, at that.”

They followed after her, and Alfie glanced behind him to see Edelfelt following them.

It didn’t take long for them to catch her at one of the courtyard entrances, staring across the grounds at a grouping of Headmistress McGonagall, Professors Flitwick, Slughorn and Lupin—and another, hooded figure in a grayish-purple cloak.

That isn’t Galen Salvatore,” Rowan said, turning to them—no, to Aozaki (which, Alfie supposed, made sense). “Is it? I doubt he wears vanilla cologne . . .”

The Japanese wizard froze, and Alfie saw, for the first time, unguarded shock on the other’s face. It was the most open he’d ever looked.

“. . . No,” he said in a thick voice. “But my Aunt Hermione does.”

Alfie blinked. The name, being uncommon even in the wizarding world, brought to mind only one person with the name: Hermione Granger, the highest-scoring Hogwarts student of the twentieth century, and some years before and after, according to her Chocolate Frog card . . .

“Does she give autographs, d’you think?” he found himself asking.

That would be a collector’s item to beat them all . . .

“He’s out of the country, at the moment,” Hermione explained to Headmistress McGonagall. “But contingencies were laid for an eventuality like that—among other things, the alarm’s tied to the house, and loud enough to wake the dead.”

It was amazing how much you could get away with, the vampire witch reflected, by telling the truth “from a certain point of view,” as the saying went.

“Well, I am relieved to see you, Miss Granger,” the Headmistress said earnestly, “even as I regret the need to disturb your rest.”

“I would want to be disturbed for this,” she assured him.

Unauthorised use of a Time-Turner on Hogwarts grounds, after all, was absolutely cause for concern . . .

She stepped past the professors, and stopped, staring.

“It appears,” Flitwick said, “that the spell destroyed their device—which is a pity, in some ways. I’ve not seen one constructed like this before.”

“What concerns us, however, are the users,” McGonagall said firmly. “Because they are not students that I can recall ever seeing before.”

“You wouldn’t have,” Hermione said hollowly, staring stunned at the sight of a pair of Slytherins on the ground.

More specifically, at one Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy and Albus Severus Potter—neither of whom had any chance of ever being born . . .

Just what in the world, Hermione wondered, half-hysterically, is going on here . . .?
    Last edited by Kieran; February 17th, 2023 at 08:29 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Okay... what happened here?
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Well, it looks as though the events of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child are attempting to happen - which would be confusing enough, with the boys being "off course" by over a decade in their attempt to travel back in time. The fact that this is apparently happening despite the lack of, you know, Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy being alive to have sons, on the other hand, is just flat-out baffling . . .

I mean, even Hermione's confused - and she's got both the intelligence and the meta-knowledge to work things out if anyone does, so you know this is bad.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Basically...

Trinity-Sequel X Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    Basically...

Trinity-Sequel X Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
    More or less, yes; at least as a starting point. Partly because it is the major continuation, as opposed to, say Wizards Unite (even if that is earlier in the canon/timeline), although there is the question of Miss Edelfelt, as well.

. . . And while it wouldn't necessarily be attached to these snippets, Galen's being out of the country might be relevant in a potential sequel, since there is one other event I can think of that's specifically placed in 2005 - if I used it, it would end up putting him on the 600th floor of the Empire State Building . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Eeeevil. I'm going to continue to be very suspicious of Miyu being here, because people from the wrong timeline screams Second Magic.
    The TARDIS sound for time shenanigans is inspired. "Danger to the fabric of reality", indeed.

One thing that's not entirely clear is when in their journey Scorpius and Albus got intercepted; the present day is nominally near their present time as well. So either:
    - They initially tried to travel back in time from their own timeline into the Trinity one (unintentionally), and got swatted across dimensions/timelines when trying to arrive in a past Hogwarts (this has rather terrifying implications about how powerful the ward is)
    - They returned forward from some past into the Trinity timeline, and got swatted on arrival (ward detecting any use of time turner, including the unusual return function of the Cursed Child variant)
    - They returned forward from some past into the Trinity timeline, then tried to go back again (this seems most likely, as far as how I'd expect such a ward to work)
    It's not impossible that it's Scorpius/Albus's fault Harry is dead in the Trinity timeline, but by Cursed Child time travel rules, I really wouldn't expect them to exist here. It's a plot point that Albus ceases to exist in the future when Harry dies. Your musings about Chaldea arriving and declaring a Singularity have increasing weight XD

Now we're in Alfie's perspective on Alex (and Alex evidently was sorted into Slytherin; no hints about the other members, apart from "probably not Slytherin"). It feels like Alfie is taking some pointers from a Weasley's perspective here, which someone should. Class divide is an important part of the Wizarding World. "Lycan" is an interesting pointer at the place of former werewolves in society. I can infer that they're a bit more durable than normal humans and some of the sensory differences; do they all have the Animagus form?

Blog Entries
    Eeeevil. I'm going to continue to be very suspicious of Miyu being here, because people from the wrong timeline screams Second Magic.
    Indeed.

The TARDIS sound for time shenanigans is inspired. "Danger to the fabric of reality", indeed.
    I just couldn't help myself.

One thing that's not entirely clear is when in their journey Scorpius and Albus got intercepted; the present day is nominally near their present time as well. So either:
    - They initially tried to travel back in time from their own timeline into the Trinity one (unintentionally), and got swatted across dimensions/timelines when trying to arrive in a past Hogwarts (this has rather terrifying implications about how powerful the ward is)
    - They returned forward from some past into the Trinity timeline, and got swatted on arrival (ward detecting any use of time turner, including the unusual return function of the Cursed Child variant)
    - They returned forward from some past into the Trinity timeline, then tried to go back again (this seems most likely, as far as how I'd expect such a ward to work)
    It's not impossible that it's Scorpius/Albus's fault Harry is dead in the Trinity timeline, but by Cursed Child time travel rules, I really wouldn't expect them to exist here. It's a plot point that Albus ceases to exist in the future when Harry dies.
    I will note that the actual date is important, here - that's the best clue you're getting unless/until I actually write this out in full.

Your musings about Chaldea arriving and declaring a Singularity have increasing weight XD
    Indeed.

Now we're in Alfie's perspective on Alex (and Alex evidently was sorted into Slytherin; no hints about the other members, apart from "probably not Slytherin").
    Right now, everybody's house is still up for grabs; it's meant to read that Alex seems like he ought to be a Slytherin, going by the old criteria, if that helps.

It feels like Alfie is taking some pointers from a Weasley's perspective here, which someone should. Class divide is an important part of the Wizarding World.
    Yes, and yes - and Alfie, having a mundane-born mother and a presumed pure-blood (because the name certainly sounds like one of theirs) father who works for the Ministry (albeit as a janitor), he seems well-placed for it. Rowan's parents, prior to the cure, were somewhat more on the fringes of things, so . . . He's basically all that's left, really.

"Lycan" is an interesting pointer at the place of former werewolves in society. I can infer that they're a bit more durable than normal humans and some of the sensory differences; do they all have the Animagus form?
    Yes - mundane-born werewolves are effectively cured entirely, not having enough innate magic to sustain the form, leaving magical werewolves as dire wolf Animagi, with the requisite tricks that Galen has. Rowan's young, and not nearly in the same kind of shape, but she could bench-press three hundred pounds easily, and is generally twice as fast and tough as a witch of her age, conditioning and build, and heals to the same degree.

(When she finds out that Alex has self-defence training, she is absolutely going to want to go against him, because his skill makes him an actual challenge, and her physicality does the same for him.)
    Last edited by Kieran; February 7th, 2023 at 12:00 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    I will note that the actual date is important, here - that's the best clue you're getting unless/until I actually write this out in full.
    What I am noticing from examining the dates is that I forgot that Cursed Child takes place way in the future relative to this story, as it's still a future generation; Alex was born over a decade earlier. Notably, Albus and Scorpius aren't born yet, since this is 2005. Paradox doesn't catch up until they return to the future, so arguably this is a convenient time for them to exist when they shouldn't. It's also known that destroying this variant Time Turner prevents return after 5 minutes. So I would guess they travelled into the past, to this time and got hit on arrival, but I'm not sure why.
    Unless they're untangling some alternate timeline that threatens to destabilize the main timeline, or were dumped here by some kindly Second Magic user before being wiped from existence by paradox.

Blog Entries
    What I am noticing from examining the dates is that I forgot that Cursed Child takes place way in the future relative to this story, as it's still a future generation; Alex was born over a decade earlier. Notably, Albus and Scorpius aren't born yet, since this is 2005.
    Yes to all.

Paradox doesn't catch up until they return to the future, so arguably this is a convenient time for them to exist when they shouldn't. It's also known that destroying this variant Time Turner prevents return after 5 minutes. So I would guess they travelled into the past, to this time and got hit on arrival, but I'm not sure why.
    Unless they're untangling some alternate timeline that threatens to destabilize the main timeline, or were dumped here by some kindly Second Magic user before being wiped from existence by paradox.
    Gee - it's almost like they were on their way to the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament (November 24, 1994), and got nailed by the defence as soon as they crossed the threshold of this time period . . .

Of course, there is the issue of being from a different timeline entirely, but again, that would be for the full work.
    Last edited by Kieran; February 7th, 2023 at 12:08 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    . . . So, today my imagination has been reminding me that this is a TYPE-MOON fan board, and that maybe I should try going the other way: drag the Scarlet Seven back to a Nasuverse Earth. The question, of course, is which one . . . And on that note, the relevant points as I see them are as follows:

1) There's not a lot of point to putting them back on Trinity Earth; if nothing else, it was designed almost 20 years ago, when Nasuverse canon was much smaller, and my understanding of what there was was limited to a single fan site and the Tsukihime anime (and later, the 2004 Fate anime). It's based on a number of assumptions on my part, and to the (somewhat) more knowledgeable and savvy self I've become, mildly embarrassing . . . Besides, the most likely event to go through if I do this is a Grail War, and this one won't have one happen for another 60 years, now.

2) A Fate world is probably better than a Tsukihime world, having more material in general to work with, and with the knowledge that Tsukihime elements aren't absent from the other (there are Dead Apostles in the train arc of the El-Melloi II Case Files) means that Takara can probably exist as she has with little problem. At the very least, her background would need fewer changes than if I went the other way . . .

3) That leaves, again which Earth. I need a Grail War, so that means Fate (though 1998, the year of Voldemort's death, would mean [B]Fate/Zero, which is a mess I will not touch), Prisma Illya, Apocrypha, EXTRA, Strange Fake, Redline - or, I suppose FGO. Leaving aside the whole mess of the actual "Grand Order," would that plotline still go off if Marisbury Animusphere lost the Grail War, and didn't build Chaldea . . .?

Apocrypha is actually the easiest one to do: make the Scarlet Seven the Red Faction (an actual united front, this time), and leave the Black Faction as the actual threat - play it out as it was originally pitched to the fans. Ilya is a problem in that regard, yes - but if True Assassin can usurp Sasaki Kojiro's Class Container slot to manifest (thank you, Heaven's Feel movies), then Shirou Amakusa Tokisada is in for a very bad day, and Ilya will be perfectly happy to let Jeanne mediate, if she wants to.

EXTRA/Extella would let me bypass a lot of issues, being basically virtual; not many of the Seven would be capable code-casters, but they'd have the experience. The "single-player deathmatch" format, though, is an issue . . .

Prisma Illya already involves multiple worlds, so it's not an impossible reach. It's still ongoing, though, which bothers me. Plus, Ilya would be 10 again, and REALLY not happy about it.

Strange Fake is weird, even by my standards - and connected to FGO, via Babylonia. While that's a nice sequel hook, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Redline is an isekai story already, and one whose premise doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense (why would a light novel based on the main character's magus family history be allowed to exist, given the "preservation of the mystics" - and God, do I hate that translation - being a core tenet of the Church and the Association?). The fact that the Japanese characters would literally be considered the Axis to the others' Allies might be interesting . . .?

And, of course, there's F/GO - the kitchen sink which absolutely would allow this kind of thing to happen, but is intimidatingly complicated, and LONG to adapt . . .

. . . There are other issues, of course: Hermione's vampirism, how each one slots into Clock Tower politics (or doesn't), and how incarnated Servants (or Grails) like Shioru and Galen (and Ilya) could exist - not to mention what a crapsack world in general the Nasuverse is - but at least some of that depends on which setting I work with, so that would need to be settled first.

Does anybody have any preferences . . .?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette