Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall 2020 Anime. Something To Do As The World Burns Down Around Us.

Reaching the climax of Akudama Drive, I got the feeling they spent as much time thinking it through as I did watching it.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    Reaching the climax of Akudama Drive, I got the feeling they spent as much time thinking it through as I did watching it.
    Nice to see someone talking about this show since it's definitely been one of my favorite "what the hell is going on" watches of the season. Episode 7 on up like every one has been an escalation of over-the-top twists and campy B-movie nonsense, but with enough genuine heart to be enjoyable, at least IMO.

I have to say though I was confused too about the Kanto twist in the latest ep. I get the part where Kanto is actually a virtual world stored inside a supercomputer, but the surrounding "landscape" (chunks of buildings floating around in a boundless blue sky) the Akudama crew have to go through to reach it is pretty obviously not reality either. At first I figured they'd already been uploaded by that point and there were just multiple "layers" to the simulation, but then they seem to physically ride off in the Shinkansen to get out.

At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if the last episode reveals this whole series has actually been set in a virtual world or something, because the world they live in is seriously weird.

It's been a fun watch, certainly, but, at the same time, axing two of the more interesting characters before heading to a lackluster Kanto reveal is kinda souring me on the second half. And the start of this episode reminded me how much I hate Swindler's
    haircut
    character development

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    It's been a fun watch, certainly, but, at the same time, axing two of the more interesting characters before heading to a lackluster Kanto reveal is kinda souring me on the second half. And the start of this episode reminded me how much I hate Swindler's
    haircut
    character development
    The reveal is a bit weird with how abruptly the "BTW Kanto is actually a virtual world running inside a supercomputer" twist is introduced and dealt with, before the main characters go back to rejoin the main plot in Kansai. But Akudama Drive is definitely a show known for its breakneck pacing, so I guess that can be a blessing or a curse here.

For your comment on Swindler, is it just a joke about her haircut or do you actually dislike where her character-development went? Because I loved how she started off seeming like the usual milquetoast Otome-game heroine who just exists for the various crazy weirdos to bounce off of, but then grew to display her own convictions in protecting Sister, and even willing to get her hands dirty to do so. It's not the most original arc, but I thought her journey from hapless Citizen to someone who embraced the title of Swindler if she could protect those she cares about was pretty well-done.

I did double-take at the haircut scene though, and I have to say the show must've been somewhat self-aware of how that'd be received given it immediately follows with one of the total scumbag rapist guys complaining it makes her look too "mannish". Really though I got used to it pretty quickly, and it does make sense she'd cut her hair short both to evade detection and for practicality now that she's on the run (its sloppiness can be easily attributed to the fact she was doing it by herself in a mirror in an abandoned storehouse, not exactly great places for a makeover). It is an odd nod to practicality in an otherwise very over-the-top show though.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    A fan of the Twilight Sparkle look instead?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Great episode of Jujutsu Kaisen, love the use of colors. So many great emotional and evocative moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Irregular at Magic Highschool 2: This will be trash, but I wonder if it will surpass it's onii-chan/minute record from the first season. I think it was something like 28 times in 22 minutes?
    I believe the season 1 record is like this:
    Total - 167 times Average - 6.42 times per episode Highest - 26 times in one episode.

Credits to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aDLksTDqcE for the stats
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Is that for this season or both combined?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    season 1 alone.
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    The reveal is a bit weird with how abruptly the "BTW Kanto is actually a virtual world running inside a supercomputer" twist is introduced and dealt with, before the main characters go back to rejoin the main plot in Kansai. But Akudama Drive is definitely a show known for its breakneck pacing, so I guess that can be a blessing or a curse here.
    Kanto's been this huge, looming force the entire show, so to finally get there, see it's a cube, and have Hacker give an exposition dump that raises more questions than answers before haxx0ring the cube, I feel a little disappointed. Breakneck pacing is one thing, but the thing the show's been building up to all this time shouldn't just feel like another bump in the road. I'll reserve some judgement until we see what's up with the Shinkansen bombing, but it's hard to feel as excited as I was for previous episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    For your comment on Swindler, is it just a joke about her haircut or do you actually dislike where her character-development went?
    I really dislike the haircut, and character development haircuts in general. I'm not crazy about the fact that they felt the need to throw three guys at her to show she can kill now, either.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Great episode of Jujutsu Kaisen, love the use of colors. So many great emotional and evocative moments.

The fact that I've seen some people think that Sukuna could still "fix" Junpei after watching this scene (apparently they REALLY took the op seriously) is kind of impressive in and of itself

- - - Updated - - -

I think the second half of this episode was better paced than the first (I can't remember if it was this way in the manga too, but Junpei kicking Yuuji out of the window only for him to kick him back into the building to the same hall they fell out of was weird).

Other than that I overall loved the episode. Junpei's realization that "Why...do I think Mahito isn't a bad person?", the laugh scene and Yuuji's rage were very well done!

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Gal and Dino done. Really comfy and funny comedy about exactly what the title says. Live action segments are also great. In all, a unique show that clearly won't work for everyone, but I'll miss it
    Climbing Girls done. Fun sports show. competitions were hype and the girls were great. I like Konomi's ability and how the show decided to represent it. Had some funny moments too. Not perfect as it's rushed in parts, more so the ending, but still a fun show
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Tonikaku Cawaii was great, time to wait for the OVA.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Digimon Adventure Episode 29: Further hints about how everyone is competing to Evolve which is interesting. Seeing Allomon was cool as I always love me some Armour Digimon. That Lopmon is totally going to be important isn't it? Anyways, I really liked Sora coming in to save Taichi at the end despite the plan being for the kids to meet up, clearly it's because of Hikari but I choose to put that in the Taichi/Sora ship. ^_^

WarGreymon finally coming next episode huh? It'll be sad to see MetalGreymon go but I'm ready now that the threats are ramping up.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

And that's it for the first half of Moriarty the Patriot S1. 2nd half coming in spring. Really good show. Moriarty is a great and interesting MC and I like the way he does his crimes. And it's become even more interesting with Sherlock added to the cast. Some great visuals too. Looking foward to the 2nd half
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Higurashi 9-12: So we went from tatarigoroshi straight into minagoroshi. smh i wanted to see 1500 SECONDS

I'm genuinely confused what is the point of this anime. Its been 12 episodes already and it keeps swinging between whether it just wants to be a just an edited remake or the sequel-remake thing. Rikas actions do not make sense. Why is she so passive, why is she so surprised when old things happen? Who is this anime targeted to? What is the point? Well, i guess explaining that is what the answer arcs are for but seriously i think the only answer that awaits is "Ryuukishi has lost his touch".

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Nana finally made a friend just in time for Parents' Day!

Surely nothing terrible will happen, no sirree.
    canon finish apo vol 3

KamiHiro done. Really chill isekai. Elia a cute, and I loved seeing all Ryoma'd do with slimes and his heartwarming relationship with the rest of the cast.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    biggest surprise of Nana episode 12 was the voice of late Keiji Fujiwara.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Loved the first few eps of Kamisama day but i gotta drop it. Maeda x PA works anime just keep getting worse.

He either needs to get back to writing visual novels, or he needs an anime team that isnt a bunch of simps blindly in love with his 90s-00s output. You need to put your foot down and tell Maeda hes going dumb again.