Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 611141516

Thread: Fall 2020 Anime. Something To Do As The World Burns Down Around Us.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    People say every season and every year is lacking, I've noticed
    Meh, while there is an element of "just complaining", seriously - try to compare these past few seasons with years like 1996-1998, or the early 2000s, or even 2013-2014.
    The industry as a whole is suffering from cheap LN/VN adaptions, even before this years COVID impact. It's not as bad as the Angel-Maid-Robot-pocolypse or the slump in the early teens, but even in 2019, anime industry was doing poorly, and it showed.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    I disagree wth that entire post and the nostalgia elitist mindset behind it. There's a lot for different tastes. That generalization is nonsense. And don't say I don't watch old anime because I do. And I can confidently say anime is better than ever nowadays
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toranth View Post
    Meh, while there is an element of "just complaining", seriously - try to compare these past few seasons with years like 1996-1998, or the early 2000s, or even 2013-2014.
    The industry as a whole is suffering from cheap LN/VN adaptions, even before this years COVID impact. It's not as bad as the Angel-Maid-Robot-pocolypse or the slump in the early teens, but even in 2019, anime industry was doing poorly, and it showed.
    VN adaptions are really scarce these days compared to 00s. also tfw no robot gf anime boom was interesting cause it was basically bishoujo game culture heavily influencing and seeping into the mainstream.

The only recent VN adaptation is like FSN which the oppossite of cheap. And Dies irae, which is a 2000s VN adaptation that came out late and had to be crowdsourced, and that was fine as it was what opened the door to localizations of Dies VN and IKaBey. Then Light got killed by their poor choice of devs wanting to make their own FGO
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Didn't Light die because its parent company died? That has nothing to do with any direct decisions. Heck, I imagine Pantheon would have been profitable to an exact.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Its parent company died but the reason is the same: they died cause they poured a lot of money and time into a stupid phone game they didnt manage to get running

Pantheon didn't have a chance to prove itself. They chose devs poorly and threw so much money at it that the 2nd dev failing meant the end for Greenwood, and thus Light. Greenwood and Light's death is a direct consequence of Pantheon's production failure
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    It isn't just my opinion that the anime industry is in a slump - the industry itself knows it, and the industry actually shrunk recently - never a good sign. This has happened before, about 10-15 years ago, and it will happen again. In the meantime, we're suffering through a low point.
    It isn't "elitist" to point out that there are boom-bust cycles in anime, just like other industries. If you like the 2020 shows, great! Enjoy whatever you want. But do not pretend that everything is great and peachy, better than ever before, when reality is that most viewers are not happy, and their spending (or rather, the lack of it) reflects that. Do not mistake your opinion for objective reality.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't really know about that. Other than the trashfire that 2020 embodied in everything, it feels like anime is about the same as it was ten years ago. There's some good stuff, some bad stuff and a few amazing things pretty much every year. It seems like everytime people talk about how good the past was, they only look at the good things that came out, since they made the most impact, and when they talk about the present they bring up most of the detritus, since there's so much more of it.

Like sure there's some real banger years, but even for example fall 2013, at the same time as we got Kill la Kill, Log Horizon, Kyoukai no Kanata, Tokyo Ravens and Golden Time, we also got Infinite Stratos 2, Unbreakable Machine Doll, Freezing Vibration, Coppelion, and the Blazblue anime.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toranth View Post
    It isn't just my opinion that the anime industry is in a slump - the industry itself knows it, and the industry actually shrunk recently - never a good sign. This has happened before, about 10-15 years ago, and it will happen again. In the meantime, we're suffering through a low point.
    It isn't "elitist" to point out that there are boom-bust cycles in anime, just like other industries. If you like the 2020 shows, great! Enjoy whatever you want. But do not pretend that everything is great and peachy, better than ever before, when reality is that most viewers are not happy, and their spending (or rather, the lack of it) reflects that. Do not mistake your opinion for objective reality.
    I could say the same to you. Do not mistake your opinion or the opinion of a lot of people for objective reality
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

I know the seasons passed but I decided to binge Our Crusade and Akudama Drive.

Our Crusade was pretty bland aside from Alice/Sora Amamiya. The premise of two individuals from opposing nations wanting peace between interesting enough but next-to-no time is spent progressing how either lead will attempt to achieve that. On top of that Iska is a Kirito clone with less personality than a sheet of paper and you could make a drinking game out of every time Alice mentions his name.

As for Akudama, it was alot of fun overall. Its first half hooked me with its dumb high-energy action and the characters acting like they belonged among the cast of Danganronpa. A few of the character deaths also managed to touch me just a bit either from how another reacted to the death or from the series building up to it. That said it did lose me at times with reveal about the Kanto region and the lack of backstory making the treatment of Akudamas hard to sympathize with.