Thread: Why "Fate / Stay Night "

Why "Fate / Stay Night "

I have almost four years following Type Moon and to this day, i have no idea what th title references. "Tsukihime" is literally moon princes, thus Arc , but why "Fate" ?

The ida of "Fate" is not very present for any of the characters, since there is multiple timelines , i just can think in britan bein fated to fall, but thats just relevant to arturias rute and not enought to name a whole piece . Or is actually about "defying Fate" ?

And the "Stay / Night " part? I can think in the "fateful night" when shiro whitnessed Archer and Lancer fight, wich seems to be a constant

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeaDragon View Post
    Unrelated tought. With my time in the fandom , i dont know if is wrong that i have no idea about the stiry behind the series name, if there is one. I have a theory that it has somethng to do with Shirou Staying the Night at the school, wich allowed him to see the Lancer and Archer fight, and well, the rest is story
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    "Masquerade. Blue Blue Glass Moon, Under the Crimson Air. night closed night. other night, night pain, night sink. is NIGHT/STAY NIGHT."

(in other words it's nonsense)

so, it just something that sounds cool?

More like getting one's tattoo text from Babel Fish.

Blog Entries
    There is a thesis that the "stay" is actually Nasu misspelling english yet again and that it actually means "still night", like a calm and quiet night.

Not because a good chunk of the cast ends up staying the night at Shirou's house?

Blog Entries
    The way I heard it, it’s a wish.

in fate, there are repeated partings that occur at dawn. Thus, the two huddled together knowing it either is or might well be their last night, want it to last a little longer.

Fate/(let it)Stay (the) Night. (For tomorrow we shall part)

is the meaning of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Because fate does not stay its hand at night.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Because the Fate route is all about convincing Arthuria not to undo her past as the King of Knights.

In other words, to "stay kNight". Cue Nasu picking up a dictionary to check how you spell ナイト in romaji.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post

Pretty crazy to think this book was released just a few days after Tsukihime. Makes you wonder if Nasu has Engrish lines he came up with stored somewhere for him to use when he deems necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    The way I heard it, it’s a wish.

in fate, there are repeated partings that occur at dawn. Thus, the two huddled together knowing it either is or might well be their last night, want it to last a little longer.

Fate/(let it)Stay (the) Night. (For tomorrow we shall part)

is the meaning of it.
    Something along this line.

Back when I first read the story, I remember there was a line that goes something like "because everyone wants to keep the war out of public eyes, Masters and Servants mostly operate at night".
    The title suddenly made sense to me.

Basically the climaxes and drama in the story all occur at night. The characters don't want the story/relationships to end, so they want it to "stay night".

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My first exposure to FSN was through the UBW anime and there's the line in "Brave Shine" that goes, in English, "stay the night, (you?) save my life," and I feel like it's sort of a post hoc way of making it make sense with a slightly higher caliber of English being used in the song, but I think this goes with Tobias's general impression, too.

Relevant bit of subs, English bits bolded:

The strength to protect what is dear to me,
    The weakness in which I fail to believe it,
    I accept it all and reach for tomorrow.

Brave Shine

When I reach out

Stay the night

On a night when I'm covered in scars

(You)* Save my life

On the point of the blade
    I laid my dream.
    I know my my dream will go beyond time.

*I don't actually hear the 'you' and kind of like it without it as it sounds slightly more imperative somehow.

I always felt like, at least in the case of the feel and lyrics of Brave Shine as a song related to the narrative, there was this tension between wanting to go forward with one's goals and ambitions and stuff and staying in the moment with the person/people who are forming this intimate bond with you on the path to (trying to) achieve them.

I could go on about how much I like it with reference to UBW itself, but I think that's enough for the specific topic at hand.

I would almost see it, then, like an "and/or" sort of use of the slash in the title.

Like, we can follow fate/destiny/ideals OR we can hold onto this intimacy/bond/whatever.

Of course, I think this explanation is likely, as I said, very post hoc.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.