Page 228 of 236 FirstFirst ... 128178218223226227228229230233 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 4717

Thread: General Visual Novels Thread

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    i played Yoake mae yori ruriiro na a while ago with the meme mentality of if nasu isnt giving me tsukihime i'll have to go to some other dev to get (a literal) tsukihime. this is the VN with the super influential anime adaption that made it an unwritten rule in the anime industry to not draw bad cabbage.

all i can say is holy mother of route bloat. 9 routes! And most of them, the earthling charas esp, completely ignore the interesting earth & moon setting. Feena aka "the tsukihime" route was 7/10, seriously this heroine is the sole reason why this game was so massively popular. Estel was 6/10, rest was like 4 or 5/10 at best zzzz ngl i had to use THAT technique (ctrl key) a couple times.

I guess the biggest thing i got out of it is the renewed awe at how ridiculous of a VA Hitomi Nabatame is. Jesus that range. To think that our Bazett, Baldr Sky's Sora and this games Feena are all voiced by the same person. oh and she voiced Arc in the tsuki anime kek guess thats 2 moon princesses on her resume.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually kind of interested in Meteo OG stuff like Forest. And I swear there was another game he made that was hugely influential to Nasu for Tsukihime.

Did he do Fire Girl for TM too?

Kusarihime is the Meteo game nasu and urobuchi hyped. And yeah he did fire girl.

i played forest but it was a little too out there for 20 year old me.

Finished nitros Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi. its pretty short, around 10h maybe.

it was very cool. Gimmicky, but its a cool gimmick. i shall bless it with a 7 or 8.

Miyuki best girl, another great performance by nabatame. tfw I cucked
    Spoiler:
    self insert mc kun

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Finished Totono
    Short, but real good at what it wants to do. Definitely reccomended to anyone who's played their fair share of VNs. Miyuki best girl indeed
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Sol Press is jumping out of VN localizations after their current projects are done.

https://solpress.co/blog/803/where-w...ere-were-going

i played ONE, technically the first KEY VN (its not really KEY cause KEY wasnt founded yet but pretty much everyone working on this VN moved to KEY), out of sheer curiosity because its often attributed to inventing nakige and having huge impact on what is considered moe and bishoujo along with Kanon & AIR. Of course as a type-moon fan theres some extra interest because its the game that convinced Nasu that VNs are a medium Type Moon should try their hand at.

Good music, good comedy buuuut tbh it sucks. It has some interesting story ideas but execution is utter dogshit. A lot of it is recycled and done better in later KEY titles. Its like a prototype of sorts.

Finished ATRI. It was very good. 8/10.

It doesnt reinvent the wheel, but its a very competently executed classic story polished with high production value, aniplex money doing its thing. I will add that there are some plot beats I thought weren't typical or expected. Also the setting was rather novel. Anyway this one is obviously Aniplex.exes attempt at a mainstream hit, the producer of aniplex.exe said he chose writer Asta Konno for this because his earlier work KonoSora is one of the most successful VNs worldwide on steam, while the liar soft one was more of a personal preference.

I think ATRI is a pretty strong new candidate for Babbys First VN recommendations, its an easily digested lenght at approx 10 hours, the story is quite good, art is great, the music is great, and its a pretty good example what a good straightforward bishoujo game is all about. And yeah, i got the feels.

One of the best things in this were actually the gorgeous high quality backgrounds lol, absolutely loved em. The scenery pans when changing location or to show passage of time made it really immersive.

After this VN im pretty excited for the future of this brand. Im interested in seeing more VNs from them, and what different VN makers they'll partner up with next (if theres continuation ofc, if it bombs then RIP). Honestly it sounds almost like some kind of hoax that there just happens to be some random crazy VN obsessed dude in aniplex that goes "i need to save VNs" and managed to somehow get aniplex funnel money into this niche medium thats used to only getting bad news.
    Last edited by weeblord; June 25th, 2020 at 01:26 PM.

Adabana was great. Good story, charming characters. Great endings that make sense. I don't want to spoil too much, but man it went on some unexpected directions and while short, it really used it's time effectively. I love the OST. Now I really wish Aniplex didn't region lock this. Oh well. Definitely hoping this Aniplex.exe thing doesn't fail and looking foward to it's future
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Its fucked up man i wanna give adabana my money but they wont take it

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ended up getting Aokana on Steam since it was on sale, kind of a pain to set it up so I can read on the TV but it's so much cheaper than it'd be on the Switch that I don't really care.

The series of pretty ham-fisted anime clichê right off the bat didn't instill much confidence but the overall narrative interested me enough to keep going. Towards the end of Episode 1 things have been getting steadly better so that's cool. I didn't expect literal next episode previews though, was this actually release in an episodic format initially?

Arts is pretty as well, the only weird thing is how absurdly thin the girl's arms are.

I also spent the entire first episode trying to figure out why I recognize Misaki's voice actress so much, but she doesn't seem to have played a role on anything I've watched or played (aside from some minor roles I don't even remember), so that's probably going to bother me forever.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    I've been saving money by not purchasing stuff on sale since before COVID

With Steam Summer sale, I need to make sure not go overboard. Probably will limit to one VN purchase, and it'll probably be Higurashi.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Ended up getting Aokana on Steam since it was on sale, kind of a pain to set it up so I can read on the TV but it's so much cheaper than it'd be on the Switch that I don't really care.

The series of pretty ham-fisted anime clichê right off the bat didn't instill much confidence but the overall narrative interested me enough to keep going. Towards the end of Episode 1 things have been getting steadly better so that's cool. I didn't expect literal next episode previews though, was this actually release in an episodic format initially?

Arts is pretty as well, the only weird thing is how absurdly thin the girl's arms are.

I also spent the entire first episode trying to figure out why I recognize Misaki's voice actress so much, but she doesn't seem to have played a role on anything I've watched or played (aside from some minor roles I don't even remember), so that's probably going to bother me forever.
    Yeah, Aokana picks up when they get more involved with the sport. The best part of the VN hands down is the sports aspect. In chap 1 theres only the practice match with only 2 buoys, things get much cooler when they start doing proper matches with 4 buoys, and start going into strats and techniques.

A tip about route order though: Asuka and Misaki are written by the 2 main writers, and therefore are much more focused on the main story&themes and just overall better quality than Mashiro and Rika. so its commonly agreed that you should go Asuka or Misaki -> Mashiro or Rika -> Rika or Mashiro -> Misaki or Asuka -> epilogue. Personally I prefer starting with Asuka and ending with Misaki, because Asuka covers the main storyline and feels like the canon route, while Misaki is more about the themes of Aokana, and feels like the flipside to Asukas route and so has more impact if you've experienced Asuka route. In which order you do mashiro and Rika doesnt matter, basically id say it boils down to when you feel like youve got the patience to slog through Rika route cause honestly, its not very good.

The episode previews are there just for fun, it wasnt released episodically or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I've been saving money by not purchasing stuff on sale since before COVID

With Steam Summer sale, I need to make sure not go overboard. Probably will limit to one VN purchase, and it'll probably be Higurashi.
    Have you watched the anime or would this be your first contact with higurashi?

Some other VNs I'd personally recommend getting right now are Chaos Child and Subahibi, theyre both imo damn good VNs and at -50%. Content warning at subahibi tho. Also anyone who does end up getting subahibi, remember to get the voice patch (most male charas are unvoiced without it).

Isn't the Steam version of Subahibi just a single chapter or something and you need a patch for the full game. Not that it's advertised anywhere due to Steam regulations
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Oh yeah, thats how it goes these days. Back when I bought it im pretty sure the patch was linked on steam. but its available on JAST's website for the price of 0,00$, no account required.

The voice patch is an unofficial one though, one would need to go through vndb or google for it.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Yeah, Aokana picks up when they get more involved with the sport. The best part of the VN hands down is the sports aspect. In chap 1 theres only the practice match with only 2 buoys, things get much cooler when they start doing proper matches with 4 buoys, and start going into strats and techniques.

A tip about route order though: Asuka and Misaki are written by the 2 main writers, and therefore are much more focused on the main story&themes and just overall better quality than Mashiro and Rika. so its commonly agreed that you should go Asuka or Misaki -> Mashiro or Rika -> Rika or Mashiro -> Misaki or Asuka -> epilogue. Personally I prefer starting with Asuka and ending with Misaki, because Asuka covers the main storyline and feels like the canon route, while Misaki is more about the themes of Aokana, and feels like the flipside to Asukas route and so has more impact if you've experienced Asuka route. In which order you do mashiro and Rika doesnt matter, basically id say it boils down to when you feel like youve got the patience to slog through Rika route cause honestly, its not very good.
    I usually leave my favorite girl for last so I was already planning on ending with Misaki. Thanks for the heads up on Rika though, tbh if it ends up being that bad I'll just skip it. Some years ago when I was reading Fruit of Grisaia, I tried to force myself to read Makina's route and all that did was kill my interest. I never ended up reading Yumiko's route or the sequels after that.

Might be a good idea. you genuinely dont lose anything skipping Rika. Her story is completely standalone from the rest of the game, the conflict/villain is really stupid, and the MC just dropping everything the team was doing and going Rika route feels forced.

However do make sure you actually "finish" Rika route, even if with the use of the skip button. You have to play all 4 routes to see the epilogue.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    However do make sure you actually "finish" Rika route, even if with the use of the skip button. You have to play all 4 routes to see the epilogue.
    Duly noted.

Finished Adabana. Great stuff. It was quite short, Atri took around 10 hours but this one was closer to 5 hours.

Awesome, super artsy visuals, brilliant OST, somewhat fancy and experimental story. I guess you could say its very much a Liar Soft VN. Gives me even more confidence in aniplex.exe, theyre genuinely letting these VN writers do their thing and just support them financially. Cause if they let Liar Soft do their thing without compromises, they'll let pretty much anyone.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just finished the Aokana's common route.

Spoiler:

It gets better with each chapter, though I can't say I've been enjoying the non-sports side too much. The play-off of each other well enough for every scene to be entertaining, but the need to insert dumb clichéd fanservice every now and then is really grating. The usual stuff like tripping and undressing a girl, or preventing them from falling only to realize you accidentally touched their boobs! It feels particularly bad because right now Masaya is not even a character, but rather just a facilitator to these types of situations. This, coupled with his awful "overly self-conscious around girls" internal dialogue are just a pain to get through, and remain the only bits of characterization he's been graced with. The only thing that makes him different from what I can only read as the "VN protagonist template" is his past, but the story can't elaborate on it for the sake of the mystery, and the trauma caused by it doesn't seem to have affected him beyond the refusal to play and the occasional flashback.

The story has been gradually been leaning more and more on shonen sports, which has been great, though it brings its own share of problems. Being a VN, I understand that they are limited on time and resources, but it's still weird seeing such a small amount of unique characters for our group to face, as well as few actual matches against those characters. It's not a small number for a VN (I think), and I'd never complain about the production value of Aokana, but the feeling is inevitably there due to comparison to sports anime and manga, which can pump out many more characters with unique designs, as well as interesting matches involving side-characters. Not a problem really, just something that I thought of as I was playing.

I can't say I'm in love with the writing during the matches though. They are great, and every single match so far has managed to get me engaged. Misaki vs Shindou, in particular, was incredible. But the actual written description during those scenes... The're very dry, and analogies don't quite seem to land. I'm also not happy we learned about some techniques just as Shindou used them. Though I understand why they decided to do that, they feel more like information that was withheld from me than secret moves, probably due to the fact that this is a fictional sport and the extent of my knowledge only goes as far as the writer is willing to convey.
    I'll say that it ended up being for the best though, since the introduction of so many flashy techniques in succession served as the perfect contrast to Inuisaki's bizzarre playstyle. I was very surprised to find myself agreeing with Masaya during Inuisaki vs Shindou. I can't say I expected the game to be able to convey so well the... very subtle difference between how she and the rest of them play. Obviously, they spell it all out later, but I was still impressed by the fact that I was able to pick up on it solely due to how the match was playing out. Good stuff.

Also about the writing: the really aren't managing to sell me this talent/prodigy theme that is being set-up. It's hard to care for Misaki's surprise and despair at Asuka's inexplicable talent when Misaki herself is also naturally talented in everything. Asuka just happens to be a bit more gifted on this particular sport.
    It's pretty obvious that she's going to have to struggle with her outlook on life and work harder to keep up with Asuka, but still, the set up fails pretty hard. "Talent vs less talent" just doesn't work as well as "talent vs hard-work".

Regarding the other two girls... Mashiro is great and I groan every time Rika appears, though it's not her fault as much as the writers just seem to love filling so many of her scenes with the shittiest writing.

Some predictions for the future, just for fun:
    Masaya is the girl who helped Asuka break out of her shell when she was a kid. He looked like a girl as a kid, they made sure to emphasize how it was totally not a boy on her own flashback, Asuka mistakes him for a girl when she's watching the match... Yeah, I'm pretty sure of this one.
    Alternatively, they could say it's Inuisaki instead, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Misaki may be the kid that traumatized Masaya? I'm less confident on this one. I feel like I'm only entertaining the idea to begin with because it feels right for both of the main heroines to be connected to his past, that is, if my other prediction is correct.