Page 236 of 236 FirstFirst ... 136186226231234235236
Results 4,701 to 4,717 of 4717

Thread: General Visual Novels Thread

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Rance Quest was fun. I love all those random interactions I get in dungeons.

Now, 13 Sentinels. That game has been bought for 2 years but hasn't been touched yet.

マリーの味方
    has anyone read Shikkoku no Sharnoth (in english)
    thought about reading it because >sakurai but apparently the translation is bad

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    After many delays and breaks due to personal and various other reasons, I have finally finished Full Metal Daemon Muramasa. Now, I am well aware that the internet is full of people who won't stop raving about how good this VN is (they're right, btw) and who managed to write much more in-depth and passionate reviews than I ever could, but it managed to affect me to such an extent that I feel like I owe it to give it my best to talk about it.

It was absolutely phenomenal. I do not think I have ever read a piece of fiction, or even experienced a singular piece of media, that managed to enrapture and engage me in a way that this has. From the incredible inner monologue descriptions that managed to make even the more mundane situations gripping to the exhilarating action sequences that made text and a bunch of sliding PNGs the most kino shit ever, I can safely say I was thoroughly invested. I was legitimately holding my breath during certain scenes due to the tension, the amount of 'OH SHIT!' moments I had was staggering and some of the plot twists got even me, who is usually ok at predicting them. The fact that it managed to consistently one-up itself in both intensity and stakes for 80 hours without it ever feeling noticeably tiring shows you just how good the pacing is.

The characters are also amazing. I really like that pretty much every one of the more prominent characters has their own life philosophy that explains why they do what they do. The cast is memorable across the board.
    The comedy is also gold. Most of the comedic bits had me laughing out loud.

The fight scenes are outstanding, as well. You can tell that Narahara has a martial arts background with how in-depth some of the explanations of the techniques are. This fact also contributed to them also feeling very informative and educational, which all great fight scenes are imo.

So yeah, if you haven't read it and are interested, go read it.

Alright. Onto the specifics:
    Major Spoilers + Major Write-up
    General:Kageaki is an incredible protagonist. The fact that he radiates insane self-insert Chad energy, as well as being the most unfortunate and miserable motherfucker (haha literally) on the planet makes him such a fascinating character and just what the VN needed for a lens through which the various themes in the routes are explored. I just love how all of his aspects as a dignified and stoic protagonist, a compassionate and infinitely self-critical but unfortunate soul thrust into horrible situations where he has to kill the few for the sake of many and a weirdo pervert all come together to make the first ever character that I would personally describe as actually three-dimensional. The people around him make him rethink his worldview constantly, but he also comes to a lot of conclusions on his own, leading to him being an incredibly dynamic character that changes a lot throughout all of the routes while also never really losing his initial appeal. Ultimately, even though I might enjoy some other characters a bit more, I think that Kageaki in this cast of amazing characters still manages to stand out because he feels the most like a person, and the VN would be a lesser piece of art without him tying everything together.

The minor characters are all good. Not much to say further, they're fine and they do their job. One standout, however, is Jo'ansai. The guy is just so cool and I like how you learn a lot about him as a person, even though you practically don't learn all that much, which only adds to his appeal, really. The Four Generals were also really good (I'll talk more about them in the specific route sections), but I do think Raicho could have gotten a bit more. I do believe that they kept him alive to appear in any potential sequels (I believe he does appear in Re: Blade Arts), so it makes sense, but he is nevertheless really entertaining in his banters with Chachamaru and you do feel kinda bad for him since you can tell he's the least politically skilled (and most likely the most morally decent) of the four. Wolf surprisingly never got annoying with his "PANTSU!" schtick.

Sorimachi was also excellent as a rival to Kageaki in terms of both skills and ideals. At first you think he's just a sleazy double-siding opportunistic prick (which he absolutely is, in all fairness), but his own morals and ideology really do shine through. I like how he influenced Kageaki in the end, as well. Like, I expected to hate him, but at the end of the Conqueror route I personally ended up really liking him. Hikaru Midorikawa's outstanding performance also really helps. The cackling was really good. I did not know the man had such range.

As an aside, things like the Jewish being dwarves that can turn into atomic bombs through the power of hatred is the kind of alternate history schlock I live for. The worldbuilding in general was really interesting and it sets itself up for a lot more than was shown here. The entire concept of America having several failed revolutions, as well Britain never ending its colonial reign and having most of the world under its rule are cool and a great jumping off point for more stories.

Tsurugi/cruxes are just such an interesting and well thought out concept. They combine the best elements of samurai and mecha fiction for maximum chuuni enjoyment. Just the thought of them saying the vow, armoring up and having aerial dogfight duels gets the blood pumping.

I just skipped the sex scenes. Not that they were bad or anything, it's just that whenever they happened you could tell that the story went in "Sex mode" and it just took me out of the experience. The buildup and everything was fine, it's just that I was so invested that I wanted to get back to the main plot ASAP. I will, however, say that Muramasa got absolutely shafted in this department. I mean, she's the main heroine, and all she gets is a footjob and blowjob scene? Fucking travesty, I tell ya.
    I also skipped the r*pe scenes. Felt like they were mostly unnecessary, even if I would agree that they do underpin how fucked the world is. Still, i just couldn't stomach them. It is what it is, I guess.

Hero route: I did not expect to enjoy this route as much as I did. It was pretty decent until the final confrontation, where it went up immensely in my book. Just how the relationship between Ichijo and Kageaki was done and how both of their beliefs made sense, and they both knew and acknowledged it, but still had to fight to achieve their goals was so expertly done. When 'Uzuki' started playing I was hyped to the max. Masamune's justice-obsessed kinda racist grandpa personality was great, and a nice contrast to Muramasa. The Noh scene really got me. The 'wholesome situation turning horrible' trope is one that I usually see a mile away, but not this one. It really did exemplify Doshin's personality. He' such a great and memorable character every single time he is on screen, in this route and the other ones. I do really like him (even though he's a humongous piece of shit, of course), and his basara philosophy was really interesting. The only scene I can kind of criticise is Ichijo's confrontation with Doshin's retainer kid. I feel like it overdid it a bit 'SEE WHAT YOU DID?!' bit and missed the mark because of it. Maybe if the sister commited suicide instead of just accidentally falling down the stairs and/or the siblings being fucked over now that Doshin wasn't around to take care of them would have worked better. With all that being said, though, I do like the scene because of what it meant for Ichijo's character.

Of course, the element that makes this route as good as it is, is Ichijo herself. Like the route itself, Ichijo was a surprise hit for me. At first I found her kind of ok as a character because I could see where her character arc was going, but execution is important and that is the part where her story shines. Her journey from a young and idealistic girl to a true hero who understands that justice itself is an act of evil which deserves retribution, as well as how Kageaki influences her and vice-versa, was amazing to witness. The way the VN presents its characters' ideologies is just so brilliant in general and the reason why I feel like it resonated with me so much. I find Ichijo and Masamune to be the most memorable musha/tsurugi pair because of how Masamune's Sacred Treasures and shinogi thematically relate to his mission and worldview, but also how Ichijo's own attributes, namely her drive and willpower, make her a perfect match for him on an ideological and practical level, allowing her to use a tsurugi that would kill most other users to its fullest potential, despite her own relative inexperience. Also Masamune's entire arsenal is so awesome and the greatest tool in his characterisation as a batshit insane avatar of justice. The bittersweet epilogue of an older Ichijo continuing to follow her justice despite knowing she will have to kill innocents as Muramasa's master is wonderful icing on the cake, as well. Absolutely fantastic route.

Nemesis route: Overall I would rate this route the lowest of the three. Not because of its lack of quality, but rather because of the thematically appropriate feeling of emptiness that follows its ending. Rather than Hero's triumphant climax or Conqueror's synthesis of all the VN's themes, the Nemesis route is ultimately a tragic story of two people who loved each other, yet kept stubbornly following their paths of punishing sins (including their own), causing them to die at each other's hand. This route also has a focus on the political aspects of the conflict, but I do think that it was presented in an understandable and engaging way. The Ootori household stuff was also entertaining to watch unfold. You do kind of end up feeling bad for Shishiku once you find out his backstory, although personally I think he ends up being the least memorable out of the four generals, though that makes sense with him being a former assassin, now that I think about it. I also loved the scene where Kageaki finds the modern art statue. It conveys an amazing sense of dread, and the realisation that Kageaki killed all those people for nothing (at least in his mind) is great at further establishing the route's thesis. Guts Eider was a loving pastiche of Super Robots (still don't know how whoever owns Kotetsu Jeeg didn't get on their ass because of the design, but I digress) while also being a macabre parody of them and especially Gattai sequences. Also Konatsu's VA did an amazing job here. Wonderfully manic energy. Again, it also enforces the route's main theme.

I think that Kanae has the best chemistry with him out of all the characters. She chews the scenery every time she's on screen, and the fact that you only see her true nature in this route conveys her cunning and two-faced nature wonderfully. I like the contrast of how Ichijo is, for all intents and purposes, a normal person who becomes a hero through because of her unflinching will, while Kanae is a complete aberration of a human being with a warped sense of what is morally just. Makes each of them stand out even more. I was also impressed how genuinely off-putting they managed to make her in certain scenes (such as when she's telling the story about that monster when they were walking along Enoshima's beach).

Sayo is still Best Girl though. The fact that you can make Kageaki flirt more with her than anyone else while all of the other girls protest is hilarious. Loved her reveal, although I do wonder: does she just come off looking as a Japanese person, despite being European? Again, minor plot point that doesn't matter, but it's shit like this that my brain latches onto. Kageaki doesn't question that the other guy was her brother (that whole thing being a front, I assume), so I might just be his lack of awareness, but I don't know. It really is shit like this that keeps me up at night, I swear.

Quick, aside, yes that airship sequence was kind of whack and I needed a guide. The logic was sound, but the fact that you had to do the actions in a certain order was what made it weird and confusing.

Again, while this route might be the weakest for me, I still found it amazing to experience and I think overall it is the best at reinforcing its own theme through minor elements (Guts Eider, Kageaki not being the one to kill Hikaru, Kageaki's doomer attitude, Kanae's nature, etc.). In the end, Kageaki does not die as a great villain, slain by a hero, or even live as a symbol of might. Here, he dies as a regular, pathetic killer who finally understood that all he could ever do is kill without protecting anything. And as this route says: all who kill deserve to die.

Conqueror route: Definitely my favorite route when you add up all of the stuff that happens. Not much to say on it overall, but a lot to say for the characters themselves. The Green Dragon Alliance side of the story was a cool concept and I liked how Evil Kageaki was Chad enough to impress the other generals instantly. Loved how few fucks he gave. Also his portrait gave off huge 'What you see vs. What she sees' energy so that was pretty fun, too.

The Konjin was a very cool final boss (not counting Hikaru, you know what I mean). No wonder the devs mentioned they hope this series would get into SRW. The Konjin is a perfect fit. The whole time travel segment was also pretty cool. Loved how the Moon breaking was actually foreshadowing. Very cool. Very kino. Also a giant golden Nagasaka Ukyo manifesting for a little while was as hilarious as it was shock-inducing.

Muramasa's development was well done, but she has the unfortunate displeasure that her route also features Chachamaru and Hikaru, so...
    In all seriousness some of the moments she got with Kageaki were absolutely wonderful. The bonding scene was wholesome, and her arc from believing that Kageaki is only her tool, to her doubts and their resolution, to her and Kageaki finally becoming a true Musha was great. It was all believable, even the fact that she wanted Kageaki to have a normal life without her, but it is her prior development that made their resolution to become a symbol of might in the end all the more gratifying. Again, amazing scenes that were, for me at least, unfortunately overshadowed by the other girls of the route.

Chachamaru was an outstanding sub-heroine (I guess that's would you would call her, right?). She absolutely chewed the scenery every single time she was on screen. The most entertaining charcter in a story filled with entartaining characters, by far. From her Bullet Liger schtick, to her fourth wall breaks, to her chemistry with Hikaru in that dating VN segment (which was brilliant, btw, it's a shame I didn't play any other Nitroplus VNs so I didn't really get any of the references), she was amazing to witness. I also liked how her relationship with Kageaki affected him. Kotetsu is an amazing tsurugi design. Really enjoyed that mini route if you choose Chachamaru over Muramasa.

Now I come to Hikaru. I think that she might officially be my favourite fictional character of all time now. The parts with her were what I constantly awaited, and it is the focus on her which makes this route my favourite. Everything about her is superbly executed. How she can make the first half of the story pants-shittingly terrifying every time she appears, how alien and above everything she appears despite her otherwise goofy personality, how the scope of her goals pairs with the absolute purity of her desires due to lacking the most basic of human relationships (the love of a father), it all comes together so well. She is the first villain where I genuinely wondered how the protagonist was going to beat them. The difference between her and Kageaki legitimately seemed like that of heaven and earth, as he himself puts it. The scene where she asks Kageaki what he thinks happens when they die, as well as her own thoughts on that, exemplify her character in a single sentence.
    At first I found the reveal of her being a dream a bit schlocky, but ultimately came to understand that it makes sense. She is not something that any one real person can achieve, but she is not real. She is the dream of a little girl wishing for love, the most powerful force in the universe, as she sees it. The same love that ultimately ends her life.

Yet despite being a dream, it is the love which drives her that makes her the most human character in the story. She is not perfect, her visage of absolute confidence breaking because of the fear that Muramasa is tearing Kageaki away from her. It is her love that gives her both strength and weakness, as it does for all of us. And even then, despite her being driven by love, the most human emotion of all, it allows her to commit the most inhuman of acts. She claims to kill without malice, but due to love, therefore bypassing the Law of Balance. She is a dream that desperately refuses to accept reality.

I feel that is why I find her character so compelling. What drives her is the reality which drives all of us: the hole in our heart. Yet it is because she rejects reality for a dream that she is able to do what she does, that which we cannot do. In the end, however, it is the rejection of reality (the source of her power), and Kageaki's acceptance of it, his acceptance of his love for her, which spells her doom. He won because he did what she could not. A dream rejects reality, rendering it obsolete, yet it also crumbles under the weight of reality. The dichotomy of reality and dream is what gives The Silver Star its shine.

The final clash between Kageaki and Hikaru is what I dare call perfection. When it is revealed that Kageaki is her father. When all of the pieces start to fall into place. When 'Rakuyo' starts to play. When you realise that the love Hikaru craved, her goal is what would be her undoing. When the clash happens. When Hikaru realises the truth, her quest fulfilled, her life ended. I was in a state of bliss watching it all. I think that is the first time I ever felt this way. I the VN ended right there, I would have no complaints.

The twist itself was genius. Subtle enough that the story presented did not seem too suspicious, yet with ramifications big enough to recontextualise everything. It made Akitaka's rather aloof attitude towards Hikaru's actions and goal make all the sense in the world. It gave Kageaki that much more pathos. The one scene it elevated immensely was when Kageaki was teaching Hikaru about the story of Cronos, how he married his own mother. The moment that foreshadows the truth is also the moment that serves as a catalyst for Hikaru's actions, and the entire plot in general. Fucking brilliant.

At first I was a bit iffy on the epilogue, at least when it started, but now I do really appreciate it. Obvious sequel-bait and all, but the fact that it was framed as the beggining of a new story is amazing in its own right. It is ironic that the timeline where Kageaki becomes an evil mercenary warlord is the one where he is probably the happiest. And I honestly love that. Go off, King.

I only have one aspect of the story that I'm not totally 100% sure on: the split helmet. I think it might be explained in Janen-hen, but I don't know. I guess it is intentionally left up to interpretation, which is fine and all. The way I understood it is that it represents Kageaki's rebellion of human rules after Hikaru falls into a coma. As in, he was told that he must not be Hikaru's father, as well as told that musha need to accept that they cannot split the helmet/do the impossible. As such, when Hikaru falls ill, his regret over not being able to care for her as her father causes his anger to flare and split the helmet. At least, that's how I understood it. If anyone has a different interpretation or even the definitive explanation, I would love to hear it.

And that's about it. For anyone who dared read the absolute word vomit that was this review: I am sorry...but also thank you. Again, I'm sure there are many other reviews out there that could do this incredible piece of art more justice than I ever could. It's just that this honestly impacted me in a way that no other stories have up to this point in my life. It made me feel so many emotions, resonated with me on so many levels and gave me so many things to think about. I just had to write something about it. This is now one of my favorite pieces of fiction of all time, period. I can only hope that I didn't come off as wanting to suck it off to much. It has its faults, for sure, but I guess it just goes to show you just how much I loved it. I believe that it is stuff like this that sticks with you for the rest of your life. This piece here might not do it for everyone, but it sure as hell did it for me.

That does it for now. It is a shame to hear that Narahara left Nitroplus, but there was news from 2019 saying that there was supposedly a sequel project in the works, and I for one, am in. I cannot wait to see this world and characters again.
    In the meantime, I will definitely start reading more VNs from now on. Saya no Uta and Demonbane are up next, as well as stuff like Danganronpa and AI, so I'll be busy for a while, I guess.
    Last edited by ResidentSeagull; June 26th, 2022 at 03:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've learned about Maggot Baits, which looks awesome, but I don't know if I have the spine to actually read it...

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    ALPHA-NIGHTHAWK done
    Pretty good, if short mecha VN. Nayuta best girl. Was surprised at the amount of H-scenes (every named character gets at least 1). Plot was decent, Ichizo and Miriya were good MCs, great art, and there's some good development and exploration of characters. Interesting world too. There's some mysteries open, but the sequel/maybe prequel given the details coming in a few days (BETA-SIXDOUZE) should answer them
    Pretty good. I had a good time
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    So, I started reading this Lucky Star VN and the characters are literally doing a play based on FSN.
    Spoiler:

Pretty sure Kagami recited the whole chant from the prologue.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Utterly based.

You can always count on Lucky Star.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

You can sometimes find fate references in pretty random VNs.
    Spoiler:

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Abridging a Nasu work doesn't sound easy. Even the man himself can't keep things short.
    Spoiler:

I love how Konata points out the correct genre of FSN is denki.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

Trying to abridge shit for a single cour of anime (with a double length finale) is one of the things that doomed Last Encore. Nasu wrote a typical script and then they had to cut, and lots of cuts weren't good
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Trying to abridge shit for a single cour of anime (with a double length finale) is one of the things that doomed Last Encore. Nasu wrote a typical script and then they had to cut, and lots of cuts weren't good
    I think Nasu probably just isn't very experienced with writing for anime specifically. He needs someone who's able to 'convert' for him.

Blog Entries
    SUNRIDER 4 IS OUT

NOBODY TOLD ME

HOLY SHIT

Fate\last call

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll

Your average angst/edge supplier BnEl15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Paranormasight just came out yesterday. Haven't played any interesting horror/mystery vn since Raging Loop around two years ago, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Edit:
    Alright, finished what I assume to be the prologue chapter of the game. This has promise. From throwing away a random item in your inventory with no prompting whatsoever, to literally muting the game to avoid a bad end caused by a... let's say sound-based attack, to avoid spoilers, I love vns that force you to think outside the box like this. And I'm just getting started...

Edit 2:
    Well... that was rather short. The plot, characters, and overall writing are all great, even if it doesn't quite measure up to RL (haven't played much horror vns at all, so that's my main point of comparison). I was just... seriously expecting more. By the time I finished I was just like "Wait, is that really it?". The end does hint at a potential sequel, though, so I'm keeping my eyes open for that. The game also has a pretty good reception so far, so I'm optimistic in a sequel or another vn on a similar vein from Square in the future.
    Last edited by BnEl15; March 15th, 2023 at 04:56 AM.

Chaos;Head Noah
    Pretty excellent VN. Played the OG and this is a major improvement. Taku can be a hard MC to read but he's the perfect MC for the VN and the story and characters are great. I love it
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Nukitashi came out on Steam! The TL looks garbage and the patch is nine times the size of the initial download, but it's still here!

Fate\last call

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll

Blog Entries
    Can't believe they are remaking One in this era.

Quote Originally Posted by BnEl15 View Post
    Paranormasight
    I actually really really liked this one. It's one of my favorite games of this year. But that's, to be fair, because it seems to have been made specifically to appeal to me - I love horror, I love metanarrative and story-gameplay integration, I love branching stories with multiple protagonists, and it seems to have been aimed specifically at my desire to have a game that makes use of player knowledge and bad endings the same way as Zero Escape does, but without all the... Uchikoshi-ness (I do love Zero Escape don't get me wrong, but I was kind of disappointed by the AI series. Which I DID also enjoy, just not as much as I was hoping to)

It being short was something that bothered me as well, but I feel guilty bringing that up, because it makes me feel kind of greedy? Okay, like, I actually don't think the fact that it's short really hurts it as a story all that much. The pacing is really tight and basically everything gets resolved. Every character gets a bit of a limelight and I came around to loving pretty much all the protagonists. I think Wishing Lantern's holder, as much as their story segment was AWESOME, probably needed a bit more time or just some sections early on where you actually get to talk to her, as she comes in quite late. The only thing I kind of feel annoyed by is that we don't really get to see much of the mastermind. Now granted, that is due to the nature of the way the mastermind reveal works, but I really wanted to see them in mastermind mode, and the little bit of that you get in the normal ending is just not enough, especially since they're actually quite clever.

But when I say things like that, it's like, I feel like a little child who ate a really tasty chocolate and is disappointed they didn't get more. Feels... ungrateful?

I pretty much loved everything else. The final twist is one of the most awesome I've seen, mostly because I was able to figure it out ahead of time and felt really smart about it - this game manages to make you feel like you're a participant in the story and figuring out the mystery, rather than making the game seem predictable or boring, instead of feels rewarding in its own right. The art is awesome. The Tetsuo/Jun and Harue/Richter dynamics are amazing. Mio is a gigachad of a schoolgirl. I could go on for ages, but it's really hard to talk about this game without spoiling a lot. Overall, it reminded me a lot of my experience with 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, which is one of my favorite games of all time, so that's ultimately a good thing.

One thing that never particularly impressed in visual novels is player choices and route systems. Inevitably, I just end up saving at every choice, then reloading to experience the one that I didn't get, because oftentimes useful information and character development is contained in bad endings, and obviously I'll want to experience every route so I get the full experience. It feels like the intention is to allow players to have a more personal connection with the story, or I suppose to show that they understand the story and know the best way to avoid a bad ending, but it doesn't really change things much for me.
    Higurashi managed to touch upon this best, which really impressed me, with one of the Episode 4 TIPS, which I think is the only time in the entire game where there's a choice - and it's a completely meaningless one that explicitly calls this out while still giving some development to one of the characters by tying it in to her situation.

But it's ultimately in avoiding this feeling that I think games like 13 Sentinels and Paranormasight excel because while every player will, inevitably, experience all that both games have to offer, the ways in which they do so are so varied that no single playthrough between two separate players is guaranteed to be the same. What you choose to focus on, what you choose to think about and speculate on, and how you approach each game's mystery lends itself to such a degree of participation that you, the player, feel like an active part of the story as opposed to merely an impartial observer who just hits save and reload each time they see a branch forming. This is the true advantage of video games - utilizing the fact that there is a player to supplement the narrative. And it is this realization, I think, that is the cause behind "regular" VNs sort of dying out.

Stories now more than ever have become adept at predicting what players will do and what they'll focus on - from DDLC (which I admittedly did not love as much as some did, but that I did enjoy some aspects of) demanding that the player interface with the game as a game and manipulate its files directly while also trying its hardest to make sure they can't just undo anything, to Needy Girl Overdose requiring you to shut off your Internet for the true ending in a way that directly builds upon its themes, to Nahui Mictlan directly messing with your Servant roster (which, again, admittedly I think is a concept done better by the obscure PS Vita game Makai Shin Trillion), to all of Paranormasight and 13 Sentinels, I think narrative-focused games have gotten significantly better at making players engage with the theme and feel like someone who is actively pushing the story forwards. "True" visual novels may be a "dead medium", but their spirit lives on through games like this.