Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1621242526

Thread: Winter 2021 anime thread

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Wait, wasn't that the reasoning behind calling the "German version of Dracula" Nosferatu because someone got the bright idea to copyright the word, vampire?
    Nah, they wanted to make Dracula, but were told to screw off by the license holders so they changed just enough for it to be legally distinct.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    One of those changes was the term, vampire, to Nosferatu, right?

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    One of those changes was the term, vampire, to Nosferatu, right?
    No, "nosferatu" appears in Bram Stoker's Dracula as well.

The etymological origins of the word nosferatu are difficult to determine. There is no doubt that it achieved currency through Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula and its unauthorised cinematic adaptation, Nosferatu (1922). Stoker identified his source for the term as 19th-century British author and speaker Emily Gerard. It is commonly thought that Gerard introduced the word into print in an 1885 magazine article, "Transylvanian Superstitions", and in her travelogue The Land Beyond the Forest ("Transylvania" is Latin for "beyond the forest", literally "across/through the forest"). She merely refers to it as the Romanian word for vampire:
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finished Sk8 The Infinity. Really great and fun show. ADAM was like the most extra villain ever in terms of how theatric and over-the-top he was, loved every second he was on-screen. My only critique is that the political corruption sideplot seemed kind of unnecessary and never really went anywhere. Even after his "redemption arc" it was kinda' weird seeing ADAM get away with all his crimes through backroom political deals...

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So managed to pull away from Monster Hunter long enough to finish off the last of the Winter shows, so some thoughts:

Kemono Jihen: Was pretty generic right until the end. They even did the "end the final episode with the OP" thing, when it really didn't fit and only lasted for like 20 seconds before they just rolled the OP as normal, rather than even try to put together some sort of character ending cards.

Log Horizon 2: I'm now 12/12 at getting two bars into the OP and then just singing DATABASE the whole way through instead.

Promised Neverland: I thought all that stuff about them butchering the end was hyperbole, but damn that two minutes of random still frames full of "who the fuck is that?" was terrible. Apparently one of the was God? Who knows? Not anime watchers, that's who.

Sk8: Holy shit I haven't laughed that hard at an anime in a while. Like I was expecting Funeral attire, not whatever combination of Lancer and Char he had going on. Also apparently everyone's a Newtype too. I swear I've seen this battle in the last episode of most Gundam shows, and the fact they're on skateboards just makes it funnier. They even had Langa talk to Layla his dad in the skate dimension.

And it's only on episode 12 that I got the reference that Snake referred to Capman giving ADAM the knowledge of Skateboarding and ruining his Eden of rich kid privilege/abuse.

Horimiya: 13 episodes ina and still these damn idiots are adorable.

Wonder Egg: I liked this episode, although I'm still wondering where this show is going to go in the finale. We've got a villain who's never even interacted with the heroes and who's goal is nebulous at best, and all the magic stuff that still hasn't been answered.

In the end my AOTS goes to Horimiya with Wonder Egg and Sk8 as runnerup's, the former only really losing points for being incomplete.

Most disappointing was probably Quintuplets, it seemed to lack the spirit the first season had and leaned way to hard on the melodrama for too long. Or having it air at the same time Horimiya did just exposed it's flaws that much more. Or maybe it's because I know the ending and that ruined my enjoyment of the show in the moment. But come on, THAT one? That's the one who wins? HER?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    And it's only on episode 12 that I got the reference that Snake referred to Capman giving ADAM the knowledge of Skateboarding and ruining his Eden of rich kid privilege/abuse.
    Oh man I didn't get that at all. I figured he took the name Snake just because he wanted to make ADAM leave (fall from) the world of skating which was a "paradise" for him (a place he could indulge his true desires without being bound by anything). Well I think that was the original context you're meant to take it in but what you said makes a lot of sense too, especially since he and Ainosuke's first meeting takes place in a garden and he even offers him an apple at one point iirc. Thanks for bringing up that cool bit of interpretation!

Fire Force Season 2 Episode 24: It took being tortured and beaten up for 5 hours, but Shinra and Arthur were able to access their hysterical strength. Meanwhile, Captain Agu was killed by a White Clad. Now everyone who has a mark is definitely a target. But why? Then at the end you see Sho and the other White Clad, with the guy who can change faces showing how he really looks, ugh. I love that played Inferno at the end though, that was awesome. The moon changing was pretty weird too. They have to be making another season, right? I really liked this season, and I want to see more.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs