Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2021 anime thread

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The first episode of Wonder Egg Priority was excellent. I haven't watched a good original series since Gridman and this one seems like it'll finally be it.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I still really enjoy Quintuplets, but every time the Bride is on screen I can't help but think to myself "Her?! That's the one the author went with?".

Cells at Work Black was pretty good too. From shitty kid Platelets, to big titted White Blood Cells.

Even with all the demons and magic going around in Inuyasha 2, by far the most magical thing is having a cell phone that still has a full charge after months in Feudal Japan.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Sk8 ep1: damn that was awesome. This gonna be a good one.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I still really enjoy Quintuplets, but every time the Bride is on screen I can't help but think to myself "Her?! That's the one the author went with?".

Cells at Work Black was pretty good too. From shitty kid Platelets, to big titted White Blood Cells.

Even with all the demons and magic going around in Inuyasha 2, by far the most magical thing is having a cell phone that still has a full charge after months in Feudal Japan.
    It's easier when you know in advance the one you like can't win.

- - - Updated - - -

So I polished off a bunch of the new anime:

Tomozaki: Wow this is cringe, it's like Hachiman from SNAFU with no redeeming qualities. The ED song was good, but it's no patch on "Makeover, Makeover. Makeover, Makeover. Makeover, MAkeover. Ma-ke-Ov-Er" which I was humming through the whole back half.

Spider: I'm torn, the MC is fun and the story isn't too rote, but that CG is really rough in some parts, not bad looking but just looking strange when in motion.

Back Arrow: Oh it's... sentai? Toku? Mecha? Weird. it's just weird.

Horimiya: I'm 100% down for this. Bit of lovey dovey, lots of comedy. Was kind of hoping Miyamura would eat shit at the fence, but Egg Time was good too. Why is this so much better than Tomozaki? They're both about gloomy nerds getting closer to popular girls with double lives. Is it just the fact that Tomozaki tries to go full Drama and thus overshoots, while this has enough laughs that when people actually have a serious talk it matters more?

Dr. Ramune: Meh. Where's my Frakenfran anime?

Kemono Jihen: Oh hey, Oshino Meme. Is this what you've been doing since Monogatari season 1? Wait, was that a 50's Cadalac outside this nowhere village? No, it's a 1950's Chevy Bel-air. In modern Japan. What the hell? And no that I've solved that mystery I look up and a 30 year old man is having a bathing montage with a ten year old. Is this Super Lovers, again? Oh my god, missing parents, guardians who make them do all the work but shun him, the occult, is this this Harry Potter? Okay, it's a bunch of kids not just the one. That's either much better, or much much worse.

Mushoku Tensei: Was that a Rapeman refernce with a six month old kid? Why does a family this small have a live in maid anyways? I can't decide wheter this how would be better with the MC at an older age. Having a five ehar old be perverted is really creepy, but if he was older it would be kind of pathetic.

Otherside Picnic: Is that a gun? No, just a Makarov. Haha. Oh University students, that how they have heavy machine guns and Beer in th OP. Girl are you wearing heels to fight otherwolrd monsters? The after fight freak out was good though.

Soukou Mususme Senki: Wish I lived in a world where Gunpla were that popular. Oh they're just figures? Too bad....Holy shit is that a Utena castle in the sky? What up with these transformation sequences? Full arm gautnlets become bracelets, but little back wings turn into 100 pound intracate jet turbines?

Ex-Arm: This is so bad, here's it's own section:

Oh God, everyone got those wierd eyes you see on sex dolls that look like they're open 20% too much.

What. What the Fuck. Is that a 2d and 3d model in the same scene. Both standing stock still with mouth flapping? These 2d's are flash tier. Like mid 2000's newgrounds stuff.

Why did you bother with cover, ms Not-Mokoto-Kusanagi? You had thrity guns with machines guns, and two turrtes shoot at you point blank and diddn't get hit once. Oh god the lip flaps don't even fucking match. DOES NO ONE EMOTE? Wait why does one character have shadow on the left her face and the other also on the left when they're standing across form each other?

Oh there's Not-Arima. He's only 2d though, so not gonna see him for long.

Okay so I know people have been saying this is worse than RWBY. I'll one up them and say that this is worse than GEN-LOCK.

There's no textures anywhere in these backgrounds. It's like a PS1 game.

Why is there no music in thsi fight scene. Oh there it is. Wait did they only have badass fight music.

Wit how did they get him out to arrest him? Did they cut his arm off?

For gods sake don't show insert art, it just shows how bad a job you're doing with this anime.

Anyone here seen both this and Berserk 2016? I want to hear the comparisons, because we might have a new champ for worst made anime.
    Horimiya is absolutely not about "a gloomy nerd getting together with popular girl with double life", though. Miyamura is fairly accepted in his class (more like the goth chick type than the gloomy nerd type) and Hori, while generally friendly, is not "the popular gal" (she gets righteously angry a bit too often for that). Also their entire romantic arc is only like 1/4th of the manga at most, the rest is pretty much shenanigans between the entire cast.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, so many anime I feel like I have to watch and no willpower to sit down and get through it. Ah well, LogHor S3 will probably force me out of my shell regardless.

I'm gonna have fun watching people's reactions when Rudeus sets up his shrine to Roxy.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Healer seems fun, and I don't just mean the anime. Despite my own personality, having good healing skills really helps. The fact that certain healing skill trees also allows one to learn poison skills is just a bonus. I'd like to remind everyone that Kotomine and Rusalka are also master healers. There's a reason why even the most ruthless crime lord is hesitant to offend their own doctor.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Horimiya is absolutely not about "a gloomy nerd getting together with popular girl with double life", though. Miyamura is fairly accepted in his class (more like the goth chick type than the gloomy nerd type)
    That might have more sway if the first episode didn't have multiple instances of people saying that they thought he was just a normal gloomy quiet otaku, and he responds "Not Otaku".

World Egg Priority ep1: AOTS potential. Fantastic. Love it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Between Meido and Mujika, really amazing new lolis this season. Of course, we can't forget veterans, like Rika and Platelet... Also, the more "mature" (personality) Platelets from Cells Black.

Tomozaki 2: There he is, Tomozaki's true love, based Mizusawa-kun.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so I owe you guys an apology. Redo of Healer really was that bad. It makes me appreciate Shield Hero. All he was doing was trying to build up his skills so that he could do his job and leave the stupid country. This guy's just 100% "REVENGE!!!11!". It's strange, since one my favourite jrpg characters in the last few years is basically the same thing, but Velvet Crowe is much more likeable. Maybe it's becasue she has an off switch, not constantly scheming? Or how she's apathetic to everyone around her, and blunt about her motives? This isn't even bad in a funny way, that I can laugh at how absurd it is (Although why would need to absorb the experience of multiple whores? Do you need to know how to please a man that much?). Which puts it below even Ex-Arm, for entertainment value.

Also Wonder Egg was gorgeous. I get the feeling it's heading in a Gleipnir route, where eventually the characters are going to have to fight each other becasue there aren't enough wishes to go around for everyone. But it's going to be a good trip I think.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    EXP, as in RPG leveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so I owe you guys an apology. Redo of Healer really was that bad. It makes me appreciate Shield Hero. All he was doing was trying to build up his skills so that he could do his job and leave the stupid country. This guy's just 100% "REVENGE!!!11!". It's strange, since one my favourite jrpg characters in the last few years is basically the same thing, but Velvet Crowe is much more likeable. Maybe it's becasue she has an off switch, not constantly scheming? Or how she's apathetic to everyone around her, and blunt about her motives?
    Thing is, there are too many stories with "revenge is bad" tropes, like going on and on about how self-destructive it is or having the dark hero in question lose his balls at the last second. Even the anime version of Count of Monte Cristo, the champion of revenge, had him ending up dead. Right now, I'll take what I can get.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Agreed with LegalLoliLover. I want to see Kayeru follow his revenge path. Too many MCs pussy out or are made to fight for nobler causes. I want to see revenge that isn't stopped. The only anime I remember with an avenger who kept his revenge motivation and got his revenge is Gun x Sword. Sometimes I want my fiction fucked up, y'know?. Like, it's one of things I loved about Hanachirasu. How Takeda Akane stops at literally nothing to get revenge and he does.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, the important thing is not just to win but win and live to tell about it. Again, the anime about the Count of Monte Cristo failed at this, despite technically succeeding at his revenge. One should take revenge not because it's the only thing left, but because there is more to life, and thus this chapter of that life must be closed in a satisfactory manner. As for Hanachirasu, I'm disappointed in that for entirely different reasons. Loli doesn't have anything close to an H-scene, except in the side disc, and even that "H-scene" is literally just a nip-slip when her throat is being eaten out. If you're going "eat out" any part of her, you don't do it there.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Are you guys missing the whole point of Monte Cristo? That dedicating yourself only to revenge and nothing else will leave you a hollow shell of a person at the end? That even if you live to see the end of it, by then you'll have alienated everyone so what you have left is basically worthless? "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind?" Even the John Wick movies, which are almost as righteous revenge as you can get, end with the MC physically broken, and back in the middle of the underworld he almost killed himself leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    EXP, as in RPG leveling.
    Now that makes more sense. Maybe the sub I saw was just shit then, because during narration they talk about how he absorbs their experiences, and that's how he learns all their abilities. Probably should have gone with strengths rather than experiences. Even if it doesn't line up with the RPG terms.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Now that makes more sense. Maybe the sub I saw was just shit then, because during narration they talk about how he absorbs their experiences, and that's how he learns all their abilities. Probably should have gone with strengths rather than experiences. Even if it doesn't line up with the RPG terms.
    It's both.

When he heals someone he makes a connection through which their experiences flow - usually just the agony of their wound, but also including their talents and skills like knowing how to cook monsters or Alchemy. The downside is that he has to be conscious throughout the process to copy the talents and skills, which he didn't manage in his first go round. He can also steal their EXP, but I forget if he just takes what they have before they go up to another level because that's all he can take or because he just doesn't want to get caught; I think it's the latter. Everyone has levels and an inherent level cap that they can't raise unless they exchange fluids with a hero. Also being near a hero makes you gain EXP faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Are you guys missing the whole point of Monte Cristo? That dedicating yourself only to revenge and nothing else will leave you a hollow shell of a person at the end? That even if you live to see the end of it, by then you'll have alienated everyone so what you have left is basically worthless? "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind?" Even the John Wick movies, which are almost as righteous revenge as you can get, end with the MC physically broken, and back in the middle of the underworld he almost killed himself leaving.
    IDK. Until dying of natural causes, both Montresor of Cask of Amontillado and Fa Zheng of the 3 Kingdoms seemed pretty happy. True, Odysseus and Amleth (not Hamlet) were killed, but those had nothing to do with their revenge.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    To the discussion above, I personally don't need my anime to be fucked up. Real life already is, and there needs to be justice and happiness somewhere. That, and I personally don't believe in prioritizing harm done in the past over protecting what's left in the present.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Cells at Work Black: Alcohol is fun, but really fucks you up.

Me: Don't mind if I do.

Jesus fuckin Christ Higurashi