Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 611141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2021 anime thread

Banned
    Blog Entries
    During this week's Healer, huh, the same trick used in Fallout 2 to kill the Enclave with their own FEV virus. Beautiful.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Reading through the Promised Neverland comments on Disqus, I can see that a lot of people would unironically want to join the Enclave, if they ever played Fallout. Me? Well, I certainly find more pleasure in gunning down the Enclave President than I ever would whipping a single father mourning the death of his wife and putting up with a no-good son in Castlevania.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    MMMMMMMMF the music this JJK ep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I dunno what you're talking about Tomozaki, those dolls are plenty cute.
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Tomozaki ep 8: audibly sucked in air when tomozaki panicked and erupted spaghetti in front of Nakamura. Urrgggh. Next week they’ll get to the kino volume 3, lookin forward to that.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, anyone watching High-Rise Invasion now that it's been released on Netflix? I think it's a pretty fun entry in the "shlocky survival-game" genre. Yuri is a likeable heroine who may cry and get scared but is willing to kick ass when the chips are down and the setting itself has enough mystery to keep me curious what happens next. I also appreciate the bits of odd humor sprinkled about, like the guy pleading for his life because he has an "old mother and even older dog" (I presume in dog-years) or the cool implacable killing-machine suddenly remembering he's deathly afraid of heights while crossing a suspension-bridge. Moments like that keep the show from feeling too self-serious.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wow, I'd literally never heard of it until you mentioned it. So I went looking at MAL's seasonal chart, and there it is, after all the shorts and returning shows.

Fun fact: Apparently there's also going to be a sequel to B: the beginning sometime this season. Because someone thought what the world needed was more of that mess of a series.

Also a second Seitoktai Yakudomo movie, which is a mixed blessing because the show was fun but GoHands hasn't put out something watchable since...K, maybe?

Did the Princess Principal movie everend up coming out, or did it get delayed by COVID and wasn't enough of a hit for them to try and pull a Demon Slayer and release it anyways?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Yeah, the Princess Principal movie did come out.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Digimon Adventure Episode 38: I really enjoyed that episode. Loved the flashback to how Yamato met "Tsunomon" since he didn't care to ask what his name is until after he Evolved. I liked the pairing of Yamato/Joe after the former would ghost the latter in previous episodes, made Yamato giving in and asking for help so satisfying. I must confess I bust a gut laughing when Joe became the Buddha in order to combat the demonic chanting with his own spell of mathematics and the periodic table. Lastly I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the holding off of Mega forms, I was certain they'd push MetalGarurumon but no. They're probably waiting for Yamato to say that all the kids are his friends or something.

Can't wait for the wackiness that is a Joe focused episode next week.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Hori has an abusive boyfriend fetish.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So I'm watching Quintuplets, enjoying Miku's adorableness as normal when I got to thinking. What role does Itsuki actually play in this show. Miku is the shy nerd, Nino the tsundare, Ichika the ara ara, and Yotsuba the genki tomboy, but what's Itsuki? In any normal harem she seems to be prime childhood friend material, but he met them all at the same time. Or maybe the smart one, because of the glasses she wears sometimes, except that's Miku (and recently Ichika). She's not even the moron. Is her only thing that she was First Girl by a few hours? I know First Girl wins is a meme and all, but you need some kind of character to go along with that too.

Blog Entries
    Still watching High-Rise Invasion and onto episode 5 now. I liked that they actually played with the old "explaining your powers to the enemy" trope by having the bad-guy actually lie about how his powers work and the heroes note he's being suspicious because blatantly telling your enemies your weaknesses is normally a dumb thing to do. This show really feels like it's jumping around wildly in terms of pacing though. Major fights and new reveals just kind of... happen without much time to build up or breath.

Just the existence of "defective" Masks alone that allow people to retain their will is a major plot-point with some interesting implications for the story's world, but before we have time to process it more twists are flung at us like people who can command Masks and a whole bunch of new characters showing up. I've heard that the anime is severely compressing the pace of the manga (the first episode alone was 23 chapters of the manga or something crazy like that) to get to more fan-popular characters and plotpoints faster and frankly I can see that.

Still a fun series though. I totally ship Yuri x Nise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    So I'm watching Quintuplets, enjoying Miku's adorableness as normal when I got to thinking. What role does Itsuki actually play in this show. Miku is the shy nerd, Nino the tsundare, Ichika the ara ara, and Yotsuba the genki tomboy, but what's Itsuki? In any normal harem she seems to be prime childhood friend material, but he met them all at the same time. Or maybe the smart one, because of the glasses she wears sometimes, except that's Miku (and recently Ichika). She's not even the moron. Is her only thing that she was First Girl by a few hours? I know First Girl wins is a meme and all, but you need some kind of character to go along with that too.
    She’s kind of an amalgamation of roles. She is the most studious by nature, she’s the glutton, she tries to act like their mom and she’s also a confidant at times on top of being the “first girl”

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    While that makes her the most rounded person, it also means that whatever appeal she has is overshadowed by whichever sibling does the same thing, only better. A harem Jack of all Trades, Master of None.

Aside: I laughed too hard during Kemono Jihen when Shiki told Aya that she was a kid so he should go swimming for Mom's sort-of corpse, when the art style makes them look almost the same age.

Another Aside: Sk8: Here's all the MC's about to eneter the tournament. And Harry. You know, Harry. That guy. The one who's never had a speaking line, or a single mention before this episode. Harry. He stands an actual chance in the semifinals, and isn't going to exist solely to give another character an auto-by to the next round. Harry. Damn it, I would have even taken Guy from first episode who's gets the wrong board delivered so MC has to race instead to stop his girlfriend from getting SLUT tattoo'd across her head. At least he had lines.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    This episode of Wonder Egg Priority being a recap and numbered as 8 instead of 7.5 worries me that the show might end with an episode less than planned for it's narrative and this will hurt it. Hopefully my worries are unfounded
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

You know, it’s kind of amazing at how awful Yashahime can be.

21 episodes deep and not only did Towa not know what the rainbow pearls were(despite all 3 heroines having one), I believe this is the first time she’s asked about her mother.

And then she just decides to give Riku her pearl despite the fact she doesn’t really know what he really wants with them and that he works for the main antagonist.
    Last edited by Solomos; March 2nd, 2021 at 09:00 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In Healer, in the new town, blood donations can be used as tax deductions. Hey, that's my idea for towns where Kindred and kine coexist.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Tomozaki's a pleasant watch as always; I'm curious to see how things go. Hopefully he manages to stay on the same wavelength as Fuka.

- - - Updated - - -

Deredere Hinami was some freaky shit though.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Up to episode 9 of High-Rise Invasion now. Sniper fumbling at using a cellphone made for an amusing scene. I feel like the show hasn't made it totally clear/consistent how much leeway he has with the Mask's orders though. He straight-up says on the phone that if he's within eyesight of a normal human he'll be compelled to kill them, yet in the very same episode he shows up in front of Yuri (who hasn't figured out how to activate her anti-Mask ability yet) and Nise without anything happening. I guess being around Kuon suppresses his programming to some extent, but I don't recall the show outright saying that.

Also the whole scene with Sniper hanging from the cut rope-bridge made me wonder if it'd be possible to reach the ground by dangling a bridge and then extending more rope from the end until you can rappel down. Probably not since this realm seems specifically designed so you can't get down from the skyscrapers no matter what, but I think it might be worth a try or at least characters discussing the option.

Satoko’s into mindbreaking. Kinky.