Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 712151617181922 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2021 anime thread

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Tomozaki 9: finally we're getting to vol 3. This is the volume that sold the series to me and everyone else i know that reads the novels. Wholesome, great episode.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Digimon Adventure
    Episode 39: I wasn't sure what to expect going into to this episode but ended up I liking it a lot. The french fries tying into Joe's backstory of cram school was surprisingly sombre after how wacky his talk about them started. If Potamon ends up being a Child-Level then would that mean this is the first instance of Warp Evolution in this anime, and its given to a COTD lol. Anyways, seems like they're really starting to push the Crests' importance with even Taichi mentioning "Joe's power" so I wonder if we'll finally get that explanation of what they are in this series. Angewomon powering up Zudomon's hammer whilst Joe helped swing it was surprisingly epic...though I did laugh at Zudomon's "huh?" when he realised the hammer came back to him but Joe did not. XD
    Next time though, Sora/Taichi ship confirmed?
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Slime had a lot of foreplay there.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    I can feel they want the season to end in a certain event or to stretch things due to what I hear is an unfortunately troubled production. Not great, but understandable
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Dr. Stone: Episode 8/24 - The Final Battle. Yeah, sure it is. I'm sure the other 16 episodes this season are just going to be them sitting around doing science with no dramatic tension. That's how Shounen Jump stories work.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Actually, this season of Dr Stone is only 11 episodes. So, there's only a few episodes left
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe Wonder Egg Priority just veered into science-fiction this week. Technology to view into people's dreams, designer babies and parallel universes were not terminology I expected to hear in this show. And like pretty much everyone here I totally called that the garden mannequin guys' motives weren't exactly on the up-and-up, but I never would've guessed they were secretly working with Neiru's company and responsible(?) for the girls' suicides in some way. With three episodes left I'm really excited to see where things are going to go from here.

Also if Kotobuki was right and the dreamworlds are really parallel universes that casts even more doubt on if it's really possible to bring anyone back. At best, they'd just have a chance to see an alternate version of the person they love.

As a believer in assisted suicide/right to death IRL I do think Neiru and Ai made the right decision in this ep, though Kotobuki was undeniably pretty selfish to force her friend into that position. Neiru is right that while she acts cheerful and friendly, she really doesn't seem to think much about how her actions affect other people. Frankly I wondered if she'd turn out to be a secret villain at first with how creepy her ramblings about life and death were.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Actually, this season of Dr Stone is only 11 episodes. So, there's only a few episodes left
    That's a little disappointing actually. I was hoping for a full 24 again, not just enough to finish off this arc.

I also caught up on Horimiya. Man, does this show manage to keep itself fresh. Even the characters getting together only a few episodes in, and they still manage the humour fine. Like Hori's sudden sub fetish, which actually hung around for more than one episode.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I actually can't believe Wonder Egg Priority switched from character drama with fantastical elements to technobabble-spewing hard sci-fi plot show.

Honestly couldn't even care about the albino girl because I was too busy trying to reconcile the absurdity of designer babies, parallel worldlines and soul kidnapping being introduced in the span of a few minutes. The unplanned recap last week might explain part of it, but I doubt I'd much more charitable to the ideas even if they were introduced over two episodes instead of one.

I'm still hoping for a return to form, but I'm pretty sure that, between production issues and the abrupt change in focus, my hopes are in vain.
    Last edited by pinetree; March 10th, 2021 at 05:31 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Setsuna "working" in Healer is as beautiful as Jack "working" in Fate, like an artist creating a masterpiece.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I actually can't believe Wonder Egg Priority switched from character drama with fantastical elements to technobabble-spewing hard sci-fi plot show.

Honestly couldn't even care about the albino girl because I was too busy trying to reconcile the absurdity of designer babies, parallel worldlines and soul kidnapping being introduced in the span of a few minutes. The unplanned recap last week might explain part of it, but I doubt I'd much more charitable to the ideas even if they were introduced over two episodes instead of one.

I'm still hoping for a return to form, but I'm pretty sure that, between production issues and the abrupt change in focus, my hopes are in vain.
    "Hard" sci-fi seems a bit much given I doubt this show particularly cares about being scientifically plausible/accurate, and I suspect at least some of the fantastical elements will go unexplained or be left as outright magic by the end. But yeah, I can't help but recall our conversation a while back where I said the garden mannequins were probably going to be revealed as the secret masterminds the heroines would have to fight against and you countered that was unlikely because it'd go against the magical-realist/character drama-focused tone the show had established and... I honestly didn't expect to be proven right in that little argument, yet here we are where things seriously look to be leading that way.

Personally the twist didn't bother me and I'm pretty curious what's going to happen next, but I can see some people wishing the show had retained a more "grounded" tone (with the supernatural elements staying as metaphor for the heroines' emotional issues rather than being explained) instead of going down the sci-fi route.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    But yeah, I can't help but recall our conversation a while back where I said the garden mannequins were probably going to be revealed as the secret masterminds the heroines would have to fight against and you countered that was unlikely because it'd go against the magical-realist/character drama-focused tone the show had established and... I honestly didn't expect to be proven right in that little argument, yet here we are where things seriously look to be leading that way.
    Damn, you're right, you fucking got me dude lol

And yeah, hard sci-fi is a exaggeration but you got my point.

Personally the twist didn't bother me and I'm pretty curious what's going to happen next, but I can see some people wishing the show had retained a more "grounded" tone (with the supernatural elements staying as metaphor for the heroines' emotional issues rather than being explained) instead of going down the sci-fi route.
    I definitely will. It's just hard to stay emotionally invested because I can't even imagine how the show is going to develop going forward.
    How can I go back to caring about the slow, moody mystery involving Koito when there are secret organizations toying with life after death??
    They had been building up Neiru's trauma as something involving her sister as well as the societal pressure on women and the evils of capitalism... But how can you go back to such a mundane plot when she's a super genius designer baby with a parallel world-travelling best friend?
    Are we even going to explore Momo at this point? There are 3 episodes left

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I definitely will. It's just hard to stay emotionally invested because I can't even imagine how the show is going to develop going forward.
    How can I go back to caring about the slow, moody mystery involving Koito when there are secret organizations toying with life after death??
    They had been building up Neiru's trauma as something involving her sister as well as the societal pressure on women and the evils of capitalism... But how can you go back to such a mundane plot when she's a super genius designer baby with a parallel world-travelling best friend?
    Are we even going to explore Momo at this point? There are 3 episodes left
    Yeah, I was wondering that too. The stakes have gotten raised so drastically that it's hard to see how the previous mysteries like Koito's suicide and Sawaki's true nature are going to be satisfactorily resolved. I guess now that Neiru's origins have been revealed her "sister" was presumably a fellow designer-baby made from the same genetic material. Maybe she snapped because Neiru was a "perfected" model and she got discarded as a failure or something. Honestly the fact that Neiru is apparently the legal child of a corporation (a la The Truman Show) makes her whole backstory pretty weird, especially since until now this series was ostensibly set in our own world just with the hidden fantasy elements. About Momoe's development, the next episode is titled 'Confession' and a lot of fans think it'll be about her, since her backstory has been the most romantically focused of the four main girls.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Kemono Jihen: Is that 8 year old wearing a collar, tube top and cutoffs?

Did you write this LVL?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm not watching the series, so I have no idea if you're talking about a shota or a loli. Last time I checked, there were no lolis in that series (ergo me not watching it).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    I'm not watching the series, so I have no idea if you're talking about a shota or a loli. Last time I checked, there were no lolis in that series (ergo me not watching it).
    Not familiar with the series either, but searching the latest episode review on ANN tells me it's a chick.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's really nothing special as a show, the only reason I've gotten this far is becasue I really enjoy the OP, and it hasn't offended me enough to just listen to it on youtube once a week instead. It's probably going to my one mediocre show this season that I finish all the way through just from sheer momentum.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Not familiar with the series either, but searching the latest episode review on ANN tells me it's a chick.
    I'm getting deja vu, but back when I had previously described interest in the show, all the claims of loli were confirmed to be shotas and traps. You can't bait this fish with worms. Clams only. That being said, humor me. Name this character.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    So recently I decided to give that Tomozaki show a shot, and only watched up to ep 5 so far.
    Rather than wanted to see how the shipping goes, I just want to see Tomozaki and Nakamura becomes a genuine friend lol.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    So recently I decided to give that Tomozaki show a shot, and only watched up to ep 5 so far.
    Rather than wanted to see how the shipping goes, I just want to see Tomozaki and Nakamura becomes a genuine friend lol.
    Vol 3 deals with Tomozaki trying to make friends with Nakamura's chad clique.