Thread: If Chinese factions exist in Nasuverse. Do you think what magecraft/superpowers which they usually practice?

If Chinese factions exist in Nasuverse. Do you think what magecraft/superpowers which they usually practice?

As the same as the title. I always wonder what kind of magecraft/superpowers which the Chinese usually practice, if they exist in Nasuverse?

Follow these Wuxia novels, I think Material Arts will have a very important role. Although I actually don't understand how you can become superman if you keep training with these material arts.

Wuxing ( Fire - Earth - Metal - Water - Wood) is very important,too.

Do you have any more ideas???

Blog Entries
    the ability to pass through walls
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Wuxia/Xianxia is about as relevant to it as Dungeons&Dragons is to western occultism, it's largely made up, and it'd need to be really old and famous, like the Saiyuki. Youxia is mostly mythology but also does not feature a lot of magic in it. Xiake generally is going to be shaky territory - unlike grecoroman sources, the Chinese don't actually insist on supernatural phenomena as part of their actual history, and this stuff is pretty rigidly divided from cool people doing cool things. Of course, you can say the same thing about many western Fate characters that are obviously made up.

What you want is sufficiently old Xiake, folk tales, and religious culture, which leads you to buddhism and esoteric tao. I'm not an expert on any of that, but Taoist magic tends to be pretty big on necromancy in fantasy. Wushu, the martial arts stuff, ties rather to the buddhist tradition, but some argue (citation needed) that this is not distinctily Chinese. Though ONE FINGER KNOCKDOWN being actual magecraft sounds pretty great.

Or you can go nuts and give them porcelain golems, I guess. TM gave them robots, they don't care, why should you?

With Chinese, Taois have a very important role in their folklore - follow my knowledge.

They say very much about the spirit, ghosts, and how you can summon the spirit and talking with them/ ask them for help. Something very similar to Servant.

With them, you are stronger just because you live longer. Many devils in their story lived for several centuries. The creatures who live longer than 1000 years usually very powerful.

About Golum, I think they use paper's and wood's.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Also, I think that Chinese Magi are going to be really into Breathing and Walking. Souichirou's practice in it might suggest that Snake is derived from Wushu-like Magecraft. Like literal Snake kung-fu, maybe.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I think a lot of Taoist alchemy will be present, like that which is alluded to in the Journey to the West, and since we already have Xuanzang and Sun Wukong in the Nasuverse in different ways, I'm fairly certain elements of their tale will make it into Chinese magecraft. Of course, we already have Xian like Hinako, so we could have some elemental stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

I wonder do we have any Chinese in our forum? I don't know what're their ideas?

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kohaku View Post
    I wonder do we have any Chinese in our forum? I don't know what're their ideas?
    LLL is ethnically Chinese at least, but I'm not sure how much he knows about this kind of stuff (and he doesn't come to this part of the forum very often anyways).

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    LLL is ethnically Chinese at least, but I'm not sure how much he knows about this kind of stuff (and he doesn't come to this part of the forum very often anyways).
    I think he also said at one point that he was born in China, though I think this was in the Fire Emblem thread, so I don't blame you for not seeing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Divination practices (oracle bones, yarrow stalk readings, the I Ching), anyone? Something foundational to both Taoist alchemy and Chinese martial arts, I suppose.

Might as well delve into the ritual practices of western non-Han peoples now under Chinese domination, but historically were at best loosely controlled.
    Noob here. Sorry about that.

It is difficult to find the Phillipines here.

Hey, Tabris, if Phillippines exist in Nasuverse, do you think what magecraft/superpower which they usually practice?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kohaku View Post
    It is difficult to find the Phillipines here.

Hey, Tabris, if Phillippines exist in Nasuverse, do you think what magecraft/superpower which they usually practice?
    Unfortunately, Nasuverse Philippines might as well be a non-entity... extensive pre-Hispanic accounts and practices of native rituals outside of the Cordilleras and Muslim Mindanao did not survive Legazpi's conquest for the most part, and I know too little of any possible remnants from those places to opine at any length.

The Philippine revolution and the American occupation did bring about a welter of Filipino religious groups, but apart from the Rizalistas, I doubt they'd have contributed to a distinctly Filipino development of magecraft. The Aglipayans are practically Nasu's Church in real life in all its mundane aspects, and is almost indistinguishable from the Catholics in our reality due to it being a breakaway Catholic sect, and the Iglesia ni Cristo... the less said abołt it, the better. 'Tis weird.

Sorry for being so unhelpful, though if you feel so moved, you might write a short blurb about religious turf wars between our religious denominations (but with magecraft!). Faintly parodic, too, though the sting's no longer topical, given the irreligiosity of us youngsters compared to people three or four generations removed. Hell, even my parents are far more observant (and thus far more likely to care about small deviations in practice) than I am.
    Last edited by Tabris; January 16th, 2021 at 07:34 AM.
    Noob here. Sorry about that.

Summary, with the Phillippinese:
    - It is existed the native religions, but it is too old and mysterious that very few people know about it in the present day.
    - Almost of Phillipinese today are following the Church ( but have some elements which is influenced by the Spain and the Phillipinese themselves.).
    - other parts ( Muslim; Chinese;...) is too minor to mention.

Don't worry. It actually helps me very much. ^^