Thread: Department of Creation

Department of Creation

Frankly, it kinda pans out that way in my fanfic that I need to flesh out the Faculty of Creation since the Clock Tower briefly comes into focus and while I have some ideas, it's really not as great as when you talk it out with other people. I checked the rules and I do apologize if I'm still doing something wrong with whether this thread belongs here or not.

So by what little material I've seen about the different Faculties of the Clock Tower even after checking the TMDict and other resources of the forum, the Creation one seems to be the one where the members are all artists in some form. For example Islo Sebunan from the Twin Towers of Iselma incident of Lord El-Melloi II Case Files is a smeaster, and there's also Melvin Weins from the Case Files who is a Magic Crest/Magic Circuit Tuner and does his job by playing a violin.

I imagine the Department would be one of the few, maybe the only one who puts their creations on display, with paintings and sculptures and other forms of art. Artists do need someone to appreciate their art, don't they?

Taking other forms of art this is what I have thought of so far:

Painting/drawing: possibly some form of clayvorance could be performed with it.

Sculpting: producing the most lifelike and beautiful golem possible?

Tailoring: producers of fine enchanted clothing, perhaps, but doesn't get too much traffic because people either want to get good with creating their own stuff or distrust things made by others.

Architecture: I imagine this one would be more significant because many of the Magi workshops are designed to enact Mysteries of their own, such as the Marburry Workshop or Ernest Fargo's mansion which was designed to be a miniature universe on its own.

Dance: likely very niche, revolving around rituals requiring it, possibly formalcraft.

Music: Like with Melvin, it likely revolves around enacting Mysteries or affecting the world with channeling prana through sound. It's easy to imagine it used for mental interference or captivating someone.

Mystic Code crafting: I imagine at least 50% of the Department revolving around Mystic Code creation and their craftsmanship, since those I can imagine to be in big demand.

Thoughts?

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Weaving could definitely be specialty. I guess it would fall under tailoring but it's really somewhat broader. You could tie it in with Arachne for some mythical background, and it'd include things like creating tapestries at super high-speed, manipulating threads to attack with and even "weaving" sceneries on par with Reality Marbles. Also for music you might want to reference the concept of the Harmony of the Spheres as relevant to how one could reach the Root through music. Hope that helps!

Local Extra Class Aficionado DelRey's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Painting: you mean 'Clairvoyance'? I would imagine the magecraft there to be related to runes and other magic that can be drawn. Like a special form of alchemy related to the use of colors or straight up mental interferrences with paintings and concepts like the Golden Cut. Or perhaps a bit broader with forms in general. Perhaps 'mandala' from indian magecraft find a place here?

Tailoring: Maybe move the department of mystic code creation here. 'Tailor-made' mystic codes for mages should be in demand. Like the ones the FGO MC gets in new events. With Royds 'weaving' idea, perhaps the 'weaving' of different spells together.

Music: Yes, Music of the spheres is an old concept from the greeks that includes effects that affects the whole world to the body in good and bad effects, like healing and stuff. The bigger effects are likely related to Astromancers, but the part hitting the human body should fit well here. Royd and I had both Foreigner Sheets touching this concept. It is interesting.

Maybe a department of 'Poetry' focussing on magecraft based on words? The age of gods focussed heavily on words to perform magic

Blog Entries
    department of demiurge

Blog Entries
    Oooh this piques my interest, given a number of my abortive Servant attempts concern painting and dance.

As for painting, maybe magecraft focusing on trompe-l'œil and modern, non-representative art? Maybe also cryptography, I dunno. Definitely hierolgyphs, pictograms, and the like, in a way that dovetails with other, more secretive faculties.
    Noob here. Sorry about that.