Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sure, I guess people need bird taxis, but I shouldn't need it. I'm a Pokémon trainer with a massive bird in my pocket. Just give my bird the ability to fly without taking a move slot.

Like, please get me off this random Machamp. Why can't my massive teddy bear push the rocks instead? The fact that we're in a 3D world but my Pokémon friends are still inexistent outside of battles and menus takes me out of the experience way more than the existence of pokétaxis imerses me.
    Last edited by pinetree; March 10th, 2021 at 07:57 PM.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Probably for the same reason there are laws IRL about transportation. You can't just have people flying or sailing willy nilly without someone getting hurt or worse. Yeah, maybe future games could use a hybrid model, but from a Watsonian perspective, I understand why that might not be the case. Also, aquatic bikes are f-king cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Dude, what? I'm sorry but your Watsonian answer is just disingenuous and you know it.
    You think transportation laws are a justifiable reason when anyone can walk around town with multiple super-powered monsters? Even if this made any sense, you still wouldn't have an argument because proper transportation regulations have no place in a Pokémon adventure.

The real reason is that having a standard Pokémon doing everything is easier to make.

That too, but really, I never liked HMs to begin with. Never want them back.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, yes they do, even if they'd be Poke-transportation regulations or whatever. That or you'd somehow rely on the Pokemon's natural instincts to avoid accidents?
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Bro what the fuck are you on about?
    Like, I'm not trying to be rude but your thought process about this is just baffling to me.

Regulations don't matter. There's no accidents to avoid. It's a Pokémon game. My Bouffalant isn't going to trample anyone because he's my friend and this is a game for children.

Are you going to question the economic feasibility of Pokéballs next? The existential crisis my character should go through after petting the creator God? This is the kind of discussion you're bringing up here.

The whole Pokeball thing has actually been addressed somewhat in the games, so well...In any case, I just don't want HMs back in any capacity ever. Like maybe if they're TMs, but even then, that still forces either the sacrifice of a moveslot or team slot.

Wyrd oft neređ unfǽgne eorl, ţonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It honestly wouldn't surprise me if one of the features of the revamped Pokétch was to call for Ride Pokémon a la S&M.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Oh yeah, that does make sense, especially in Rock Climb areas like Route 217.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    HM's were fine when there were only a few of them with widely different types. When you only needed Surf, Strength and Fly it was easy to have one move on a type related Mon. They were also pretty decent moves. HM slaves only really became a thing once Johto came and you needed someone with Surf, Waterfall and Whirlpool, and didn't want to limit your main water type to only one utility move.

The one thing I can't accept from any new Pokemon gave is non-reusable TM's. I remember the old days of having to buy chips at the game corner over and over just to get multiple copies of Hyper Beam. Such a hassle.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Totally agree. Non-reusable TMs cannot return. It's not like Game Freak makes actual money from making them non-reusable.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    lol technical records xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Totally agree. Non-reusable TMs cannot return. It's not like Game Freak makes actual money from making them non-reusable.
    Can you imagine if someone like EA made pokemon and each TM was a 5.99 add-on? Then they'd give you pack deals, where for 20 you get one good one like hyper beam, and then like defence curl, attract and sleep talk.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Probably for the same reason there are laws IRL about transportation. You can't just have people flying or sailing willy nilly without someone getting hurt or worse. Yeah, maybe future games could use a hybrid model, but from a Watsonian perspective, I understand why that might not be the case. Also, aquatic bikes are f-king cool.
    who tf cares about IRL laws transportation. it's freaking pokemon game
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I am going to have to soundly disagree with this take, mostly because the Ride Pokemon services helped establish the fact that you live in an actual world where other people who aren't you have the same transportation needs and where society meets those needs. It also sells the idea of human and Pokemon working together much better than the whole HM slave nonsense.
    hmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    The HM problem would've been easily solved if the HMs weren't part of a Pokémon's moveset, but instead special items you could assign to Pokémon in your party to grant them that ability outside of battle.
    I think pinetree explained it better than me. Just have HMs not use up a slot in the moveset. And if I'm allowed to comment on the tangent you two ended up going on I have to say that you're adding too much IRL stuff into a Pokémon setting. Where does it stop? Cockfighting is illegal in all US states yet you can still have a Pokémon adventure at all in Unova (NY) and Alola (Hawaii).
    On the HM thing we also have the Eon Flute, from ORAS. That was a fine way of doing it. Just apply it to any Pokémon you've caught, as long as you have it in your box, you can assign it to be your "flyer" and then you use that Pokémon for fast travel. Apply a similar reasoning for the other HMs. Especially now that the Pokémon Box can be accessed from anywhere you don't have to risk it "breaking immersion".
    Also my point was never about immersion or laws or whatever, but the feeling of your adventure with your Pokémon. Why would I call a service to lend me a Machamp to push some rocks when I already have a Snorlax that can do that for me? I'd much rather have my Snorlax that I trained overcome this puzzle with me.
    Also Pokémon services have always been there you just didn't use them. RS starts with Machokes carrying your stuff from the truck into your new home. In Emerald they're changed with Vigoroths so you can assume they're Norman's Pokémon, but in RS it's likely your Mom just hired a company that used those Machokes, if you want to get that technical. Soo ppl working together with Pokémon has always been there.
    burn your dread you coward

The games are coming out on November 19.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    The Box art is an improvement on SwSh.

Wyrd oft neređ unfǽgne eorl, ţonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cool for those that want it I guess, but it's a hard pass from me.

"Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    That was a proper trailer.
    Looking better than I expected tbh.
    But I think the biggest fears have been fully confirmed now. No connectivity with Gen 8. At all. Nothing can save this gen.

Here's hoping they don't cock up on the next mainline game.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Oh cool, they added outfits, following Pokemon, and catchable Pokemon in the Underground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Oh cool, they added outfits, following Pokemon, and catchable Pokemon in the Underground.
    Outside of Amity Square.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs