Thread: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I didn't want chibi graphics, man. I just wanted a graphical overhaul, some minor story tweaks, and ideally, it would have been a Platinum remake. I am not particularly thrilled that this was a "careful" or "faithful" remake. I wanted it updated like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    Reposting from the general game news thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    DP remakes look... it looks fine, but nothing special. I wish it had used an artstyle closer to SWSH, because part of the fun of the RS remakes was getting a new angle on Hoenn. But it also looks kind of charming, like the Link's Awakening remake in a way. I'm surprised they didn't change any of the characters' designs though, all previous remakes have.
    And since it's unlikely they'll use Platinum's updated story, I hope they add a postgame chapter for Giratina like ORAS did for Rayquaza.

Wyrd oft neređ unfǽgne eorl, ţonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's a hard pass from me.

I would have taken an ORAS style game, hell I'd even have taken "Let's Go Sinnoh"...but this? Nah I'm good.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Agreed. I don't need a glorified DS emulator. Which is a huge shame, since I was really looking forward to what new ground could have been tread.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Looks like Link's Awakening. I think they went a bit overboard on the chibiness of the overworld. The characters did look chibi in the original, but being sprite-based it was easier to suspend the disbelief, I was expecting something with ORAS proportions.
    Though I don't mind the more "remaster" treatment these games are getting in comparison to previous remakes. HGSS is still the best game in the series and it comes from the same generation as DP. You could even argue Sinnoh remakes were never really necessary, and they're really just caving into fan demand at this point.

It's just gonna be a ported experience. I get why that might be a shame, but that was exactly what FRLG was until you hit the Sevii Islands, essentially just the post game.
    If you felt like FRLG had more differences to RBGY besides the graphics, than that was because the changes in gameplay up to Gen 3 were good enough to stick around, while for this game we are going through a Pokémon phase where no new mechanics stick. The last major gameplay mechanic that was added and stuck around was the Physical-Special split, coming from (you guessed it) Gen 4.

I do hope they port in stuff from Platinum, at least in the post game, like the Battle Zone and maybe the Distortion World as Giratina's Dungeon. This is being outsourced to ILCA with some assistance from Masuda, so there's some reason to be optimistic about the content of the game. What does worry me is that it doesn't look like you'll be able to battle or trade directly from this to SwSh, and you might have to use Pokémon Home or something, and that's assuming a significant portion of the Sinnoh Dex is added to SwSh in the first place. Conversely though, if there's no compatibility there's no reason to fear that the game won't have the completed Gen 4 Dex at the very least.
    Last edited by TomPen94; February 26th, 2021 at 08:53 PM.
    burn your dread you coward

In the immortal words of Colress in the BW2 animated trailer, "However, I disagree".

There were a ton of significant changes Gen V and onwards, such as nerfing Explosion, changing Wish mechanics, changing weather mechanics so that they're not permanent, changing how Speed-changing moves affect turn order, breeding mechanics, nerfing Dark Void, nerfing Paralysis speed drop, changing Defog to clear hazards, buffing some really weak Pokemon, and of course, Dexit and Movexit.

Summer Dioscuri Dream Sandstorm77's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I wasn’t particularly excited for this remake, but now i have no interest in it at all. Not only is the chibi style just ugly imo, so far it feels too samey for me to actually dedicate some time to play it.

"An ideal is only an ideal after all. As long as you embrace that ideal, the friction with reality will continue to increase. So you will someday face reality and will have to pay for your compromises"

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    moreover they maybe gonna charge it 60$
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    They«re not maybe gonna charge it 60$, they will​ charge it 60$.

One of the problems I would have with replaying the original Diamond, Pearl, or even Platinum would be the amount of time it takes the HP of a Pokemon to go down in a battle or the leveling compared to more recent games. If this remake changes that and adds the changes from Platinum with some more new things, I'll definitely think about buying it.
    Last edited by Laserman; February 28th, 2021 at 02:01 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    On the other hand, you won't be able to see a stat go up by 22 anymore in one level.

- - - Updated - - -

(ignore blissey)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    My concern definitely is that they'll forego Platinum altogether. And honestly that's been the quintessential way to play through Sinnoh for me. It's definitely gonna feel weird not to have Fantina as the 3rd Gym Leader, and not going through the Distortion World after reaching Coronet's summit, but the Dex and Gym Leader team changes brought on by Platinum need to stay around. And I feel like the Battle Frontier will bite it once more. The game speed won't be an issue, the battle screen feels kinda like SwSh's, so no worries there.
    I would like there to be connectivity with SwSh but that would require Game Freak to upgrade the Dex in there with a lotta new Pokémon so I doubt that'll be a thing.
    Last edited by TomPen94; February 28th, 2021 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    My concern definitely is that they'll forego Platinum altogether. And honestly that's been the quintessential way to play through Sinnoh for me. It's definitely gonna feel weird not to have Fantina as the 3rd Gym Leader, and not going through the Distortion World after reaching Coronet's summit, but the Dex and Gym Leader team changes brought on by Platinum need to stay around. And I feel like the Battle Frontier will bite it once more. The game speed won't be an issue, the battle screen feels kinda like SwSh's, so no worries there.
    I would like there to be connectivity with SwSh but that would require Game Freak to upgrade the Dex in there with a lotta new Pokémon so I doubt that'll be a thing.
    I am almost convinced they will can Platinum, and that makes me sad AND unwilling to buy the remakes. Platinum is the true Sinnoh experience, and it appears I'll have to remain content with my old copy.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I am almost convinced they will can Platinum, and that makes me sad AND unwilling to buy the remakes. Platinum is the true Sinnoh experience, and it appears I'll have to remain content with my old copy.
    Tbh you can argue Sinnoh remakes aren't even necessary. Gen 4 doesn't look, sound or function so bad that it doesn't stand up to current scrutiny. And I think that sentiment is partly why these remakes appear to be receiving such little thought from Game Freak. Honestly I hope we stop the remake trend with this one. Even for RSE it was a bit of a stretch but it was slightly understandable given that Hoenn was yet to receive the 3D makeover. And you would get to experience Gen 6 in Hoenn. But Sinnoh already started off as a 3D environment and it really looks like it's gonna be a stand-alone thing seperate from Gen 8 proper, making its existance even more redundant.

The recent track record isn't encouraging either, with less and less content each game for seemingly no good reason, even within the remake bubble. FRLG was a carbon-copy but it did add a decent post-game in the Sevvi Islands so you had more to do after beating the Champion, other than just capturing Mewtwo. HGSS was a fucking masterpiece, adding back EVERYTHING that was cut from GSC due to hardware limitations (Safari Zone, Legendary Birds, Cerulean Cave Viridian Forest, etc), plus adding in the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, the Pokéathlon and tons of ways to catch Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon. ORAS disappointed in that regard, it added Mega-evolution to the main game... and that's about it. It backloaded almost everything Emerald-related to the Delta Episode, which was the only significant post game quest since the Battle Frontier didn't return. And now we're facing a very real and likely possibility that even the current-Gen gimmick won't be in the game, and we're back to FRLG standards, except we won't get any additions at all. I doubt they'll do a "Sparking Episode" with the way the game is looking.

The characters didn't even get redesigned for this... And I was looking forward to a new look to the Sinnoh protagonists so Satoshi Yamamoto could work his magic in them for the Adventures Manga.

I'll probably end up playing this one way or another eventually, and the fact Game Freak aren't tackling this directly just out of obligation does make me think some things might be added, but yea this feels underwhelming.

Wyrd oft neređ unfǽgne eorl, ţonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For whatever it may be worth...

"Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    It's a hint towards Shaymin too, so maybe Event Pokémon will be in the game.
    Azure Flute finally?
    Last edited by TomPen94; February 28th, 2021 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Can I dare to dream...?

I personally liked ORAS, especially since it connected the plot to the wider Mega Evolution-verse and made Maxie's and Archie's plans and motivations make more sense. That, and I wanted that Sinnoh remastered experience so that the region could feel more alive and real, in a sense. I feel Legends will actually do better in this regard thanks to the open world.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Considering my only experience with the region was through a rather buggy phone emulator version of Platinum, I'm okay with this. I don't know if I'll actually play it, especially given DS games seem to have disappeared from the shelves entirely round-abouts, but it's nice that the option exists.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Damnit, my dissapointment is unmeasurable. Not SWSH graphics quality, not even Let's GO quality, fucking heck not even ORAS quality at least. Is-the-same-fucking-game-except-is-in-3D, expect DS games where designed to work the chibi style for graphic limitations of the time + use sprites so that same thing translated to actual 3D of Switch level looks weird. Looks like actualy backtracked to a phase between Gen 5 and Gen 6.

Damn is worst that I imagined as my biggest concern before was the Dynamax shit shoved in Sinnoh lore. The DS games aren't even so outdated to require a remake for fuck sake, For me at least they are of my favorites of the franchise and are pretty solid plotwise and in overall quality if something they DIDN'T NEED a remake.

This game quality in a Pokemon game wouldn't be bad back in the 3Ds but for the capacities of the Switch and the price that is going to be is inexcusable.