Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Legends Arceus

Wyrd oft neređ unfǽgne eorl, ţonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow, just wow...

"Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Holy shit.
    Not quite pushing the boundaries of what the Switch is capable of but maaaaaaaaaaaan Pokémon has never looked this good.
    This trailer got me mad excited for this game. Might actually get it on release.
    burn your dread you coward

Blog Entries
    Me watching the trailer: "Wait, it was called the Hisui Region?"

Hisui: "Always has been..."

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't expecting new forms, cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    I'm extremely excited.

So Growlithe and Braviary are forms, Basculin and Stantler are evolutions called Basculegion and Wyrdeer.
    Last edited by Reign; August 18th, 2021 at 01:00 PM.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Official site
    The flow of battle in Pokémon Legends: Arceus works differently than in prior games in the Pokémon series.

In past games, battles have proceeded one turn at a time, with each participating Pokémon typically taking one action per turn. In Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Pokémon’s stats and other factors determine how many actions each Pokémon gets to take and in what order.

This can create situations where one Pokémon might get to take multiple turns in a row. You could heal your Pokémon immediately after dishing out an attack or throw yourself all-in with a no-holds-barred flurry of attacks.

You can see the turn list on the right side of the screen. So it's like a Final Fantasy 10 style of combat where you can change around the turn order and potentially go several times in a row depending on your Speed or what status moves you use.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    It's so beautiful!!

Also, there are local people in Hisui? I just hope the idea is treated sensitively, but I don't think it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Also, there are local people in Hisui?
    Not as of yet. All the revealed characters so far are part of the Expedition Team who came from various other Regions to live in "Hisui".

True, but the Wyrdeer entry alludes to the presence of people since ancient times, as do the ruins.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    The map shows some people in different parts of the region, like fishermen near Pastoria, which might be other Galaxy Team surveyors or might be locals.

True. Also, I had thought the main hub would be Heart home because of the modern city's motto, but it turns out the hub is Jubilife. That's cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Still, the fact that the ruins predate the Galaxy Team explorers raises some interesting implications about Sinnoh's religion and myths. It also raises some interesting questions about the Sinjoh Ruins in Johto. Is the history of Sinnoh basically a shot for shot remake of Ainu history? I hope Nintendo and Gamefreak know the dangerous territory they're potentially treading upon.

Blog Entries
    Is the history of Sinnoh basically a shot for shot remake of Ainu history? I hope Nintendo and Gamefreak know the dangerous territory they're potentially treading upon.
    Why?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    He took Social Justice 101 yesterday, please understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Why?
    Mostly because if they don't handle this right, there could be some whiffs of cultural erasure of native peoples similar to how Japan attempted to completely destroy the Ainu way of life and deny their difference from the rest of the Japanese population.

Also, there are similarities in that the ancestors of the Ainu lived throughout the archipelago, had a lot of influence on early Japanese culture, and ultimately came to live on the margins, only to be later colonized and subjugated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    He took Social Justice 101 yesterday, please understand.
    I happen to have a brain, and also realize that pretty much all media has political implications.
    Last edited by SirGauoftheSquareTable; August 18th, 2021 at 07:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mostly because if they don't handle this right [...]
    And how does one "handle this right"?

Good question. I honestly don't know. Maybe by differentiating the locals from the explorers/colonizers to acknowledge their unique relationship with Hisui, but also in a more respectful, less stereotypical way than lots of media does. Maybe the explorers openly take the help of natives to catalogue the various Pokemon of the region, or maybe some locals might give missions at base camps. Perhaps those natives and their ways of life are also respected by the Galaxy Team. Still, the fact that Arceus is a huge part of the plot and since the main character is a non-native, this might lead to some unfortunate "white savior" type implications. That's just my thoughts, in any case.

- - - Updated - - -

It is undeniable that there are going to be unfortunate implications due to Game Freak consciously using the aesthetic of early 20th century Japanese explorers in Hokkaido, which was an explicitly colonialist venture, so they should probably do all they can to soften that blow.

US Friend Code
    I feel pretty assured that the happy smiling world of Pokemon is not going to even think of approaching colonialism man.

Nintendo and Game Freak's lawyers definitely know not to do anything with their biggest franchise that could rile up historical sore spots.

Blog Entries
    Good question. I honestly don't know.
    Then perhaps you should take a step back, breath deep and consider this. In the wise words of Tolkien, do not confuse "applicability" with "allegory". When an author weaves a narrative they often draw upon elements from the real world to serve as a conduit in order to build a world that feels real - this is true of Nintendo with Pokémon as Regions are directly based on real world geographic locations. However, immediately jumping to Allegory shackles the narrative to a real world tenor with no ability to tell the story the author wanted to without having to warp their vision so as to not offend or misrepresent. By choosing the approach of Applicability, one can freely choose to accept that this false world is connected to the real one but without yielding to it, that what happens in a story is up to the audience to interpret rather than forcing some political message that Pokémon is Anti-Ainu, it's this diversity of interpretations that would allow a powerful enough story to bring together people on both sides, Japanese and Ainu and ultimately everyone to enjoy it.

TL;DR Not everything is political and don't go down the rabbit-hole that leads to accusing Assassin's Creed of being Nazi Propaganda.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    I feel pretty assured that the happy smiling world of Pokemon is not going to even think of approaching colonialism man.

Nintendo and Game Freak's lawyers definitely know not to do anything with their biggest franchise that could rile up historical sore spots.
    I mean, they already did as Copperajah's existence references the British Raj.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Stream looked good. Makes me want to get a Switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Then perhaps you should take a step back, breath deep and consider this. In the wise words of Tolkien, do not confuse "applicability" with "allegory". When an author weaves a narrative they often draw upon elements from the real world to serve as a conduit in order to build a world that feels real - this is true of Nintendo with Pokémon as Regions are directly based on real world geographic locations. However, immediately jumping to Allegory shackles the narrative to a real world tenor with no ability to tell the story the author wanted to without having to warp their vision so as to not offend or misrepresent. By choosing the approach of Applicability, one can freely choose to accept that this false world is connected to the real one but without yielding to it, that what happens in a story is up to the audience to interpret rather than forcing some political message that Pokémon is Anti-Ainu, it's this diversity of interpretations that would allow a powerful enough story to bring together people on both sides, Japanese and Ainu and ultimately everyone to enjoy it.

TL;DR Not everything is political and don't go down the rabbit-hole that leads to accusing Assassin's Creed of being Nazi Propaganda.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, they already did as Copperajah's existence references the British Raj.
    Let me be clear, I'm not saying that Pokemon is explicitly anti-Ainu because of all the parallels that can be drawn, I'm saying Pokemon with Legends might intentionally or not hit upon some very real sore spots in Japanese history that the country as a whole hasn't really reckoned with. It's like if a game decided to give a group of people Nazi uniforms or uniforms closely resembling Nazi uniforms for seemingly no reason beyond aesthetics. People would obviously have a problem with this, so it stands to reason that aping the aesthetic of Japanese colonizers might provoke the same reaction, and I think Nintendo is likely to not be super sensitive about the whole thing. Nintendo, like Disney, has a very "wholesome" and "nonpolitical" image, which is really just code for a very bland, socially acceptable conservatism. They might not be openly discriminatory or attempting to actually portray a whitewashed version of Japanese colonialism, but the media they make has several key assumptions baked in that might not be super woke. Politics is all about the power dynamics of human interactions, so in essence, politics is everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post

Nintendo probably won't give a shit about any backlash as long as the core Japanese audience doesn't raise a stink about it, and considering how Japan basically has historical amnesia about its colonialist past and only in the 90s even acknowledged the Ainu as a separate people officially, I don't think there will be much. Any backlash will be from overseas, and Nintendo doesn't give a shit about our backlash if it doesn't hurt their bottom line too much.